Type keyword(s) to search

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022)

Wildcard
  • Start Topic

A film from Daniels and starring Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, Stephanie Hsu, Jenny Slate, Harry Shum Jr., with James Hong and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Michelle Yeoh in a lead role of a sci-fi multi-dimension movie. I really want this movie to be good.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

It was good! That title is accurate though, cause there is a lot of movie in this movie. 

fantastic acting, fantastic action. I got lost a couple of times as the various Evelyn’s switched universes, but definitely a lot of fun. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Rolling Stone interview with Michelle Yeoh, which also gets into part of her life story. I’d sorta known she was a dancer and then a beauty queen, and how the latter helped her get started in HK movies, but I hadn’t realized her first few roles didn’t call for her to do any fights or stunts. Or how she hadn’t thought of herself as a real-deal actor till CTHD.

• Love 2

I saw it yesterday and holy shit. I cant wait until it comes out on streaming because I feel like there's so many details I missed, but goddamn, that was a fucking amazing movie. All the actors did a phenomenal job, and honestly, the weird running joke about Ratatouille (Raccoontouille) was unexpected and completely delightful.  

• Like 2
  • Love 11

I loved this movie!  I kind of want to see it again to see what I missed the first time around.  The continuity between universes was great -- Deirdre Beaubeirdre had a carpal tunnel brace on her ankle in the hot dogs fingers world!  Although, I have to say, hot dog fingers world kind of creeped me out.  But I'm sure there are so many other little tidbits like that that I missed.  And it took me a little bit to really get into it, so I think a second viewing would be so worthwhile.

Raccaccoonie was hilarious! 

• Like 2
  • Love 8

Watched this last night, and I want to watch this again! The reason is twofold - first, I know I missed a lot of details that would have explained some stuff they delved into. Second, the movie theater we were in was so small - only four rows - and we sat in the front, not thinking it would still be full at this time of its theater run, and so I was getting headaches during the action scenes of the movie.

Who knew you can make a movie with 80% of it set in an IRS office and make it really badass and exciting?! I loved how JLC patted her Auditor of the Month trophy like a proud momma!

Michelle Yeoh is as great as always - is it too early to talk about an Oscar nom?! -  but the rest of the cast was amazing as well. My husband was joking that the nonspoilery summary of this movie is that mother and daughter need to work out their issues, and that's really the heart of the story, but it was just explored in a fun, adventurous way. I really love the "what-if" universe, and I don't know if it's intentional on the part of the writers/directors, but I love the callback to another "what-if" movie - In The Mood For Love. It's little details like that that make the  movie really enjoyable, and the reason why I want to watch it again!

• Like 2
  • Love 5
On 4/10/2022 at 4:34 AM, arc said:

Or how she hadn’t thought of herself as a real-deal actor till CTHD.

That's amazing to me, as I thought of Yeoh's performance in that as by far the best in an overall excellent film. I wasn't terribly familiar with her before that — I knew she kicked ass in Supercop and a Bond movie, but thought she must have been a top-tier dramatic actress in Asian cinema as well.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

That's amazing to me, as I thought of Yeoh's performance in that as by far the best in an overall excellent film. I wasn't terribly familiar with her before that — I knew she kicked ass in Supercop and a Bond movie, but thought she must have been a top-tier dramatic actress in Asian cinema as well.

That's surprising to me too. I've always thought her missing out on a Best Actress Oscar nom that year was one of the biggest Oscar snubs. I thought she was on the same level as Maggie Cheung in terms of being a top-tier actress in Asian cinema.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I saw this twice, and it's really good. I love that scene where Evelyn's looking at Waymond lovingly with the lights circling her face. For a long time it seemed like she loved Alpha-Waymond more than her Waymond, but his speech on being kind, plus the speech from tuxedo-Waymond really made her see how much she really loved him, in all his incarnations. She must have realized also that Waymond always was able to talk Deirdre into giving them more chances; he always did it whenever she zoned out and wasn't paying attention. She mistakenly thought he was making things worse, but he was always helping her.

Joy also showed an incredible array of emotions, and I'm glad she got her happy ending, finally making up with her mom, and having her girlfriend accepted by the family.

• Like 1
  • Love 18

I watched this again last night, and as much as I liked it the first time, I liked it more the second time.  It's easier to follow the chaos when you already have an idea of the end game. 

And the googly eyes on the rock along with Raccaccoonie will always slay me.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

What's a callback?  If it's something in the movie, what was it?  I didn't notice.

The dynamic between Evelyn and Waymond in the kung fu/movie star universe was very much that of a melancholy romance between two people who missed their chance to be together, and the whole aesthetic of those scenes (especially Waymond's look and the dreamlike movements/colors of the traffic going by behind them when were in the alley) was very reminiscent of Wong Kar-wai. It wasn't exactly "EEAAO Does In the Mood for Love!", but it was definitely deliberate in evoking those kinds of feelings.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

And the googly eyes on the rock along with Raccaccoonie will always slay me.

I absolutely loved the rock scenes.  Did anyone else think that Joy's relationship with her upbeat, sweet girlfriend, echoed her mother's relationship with Waymond?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

Just saw this tonight and really really liked it; I would totally see it again. The acting was top-notch all the way around (Michelle Yeoh was amazing as usual) and the attention to detail was spectacular. (I too noticed that Deirdre had the carpal tunnel brace on her ankle in the hot dog finger universe!) I also wasn’t prepared for the humor of the movie; it was really genuinely funny a great deal of the time. One of the most engaging and creative movies I’ve seen in a while.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I just saw this in the theater yesterday and loved it!  I bought my ticket because of the premise and Michelle Yeoh's awesomeness, but was not expecting to find a funny, thoughtful exploration of a woman's mid-life crisis inside a SF / martial arts / tax audit film.  I plan to buy this on DVD. 

• Love 8

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022 Movie) - Special Feature "Final Fight"- Michelle Yeoh
Lionsgate Movies   Jun 29, 2022

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022 Movie) Special Feature "Blooper Reel" - Michelle Yeoh
Lionsgate Movies   Jun 29, 2022

• Love 4
(edited)

Honest Trailers was right! SCREW Multiverse of Madness, this was way better!

Michelle was fabulous! And welcome back, Ke Huy Quan! Loved that Short Round/Data grew up to be such a badass with a fanny pack!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

I've seen reviewers praising this and have been waiting for its streaming debut.  I got to see it yesterday, and I feel like I have to take a breath and brace myself to explain it.  There are echoes of other scifi movies in the DNA of this, but they are melded together into a crazy, original experience.  I was also surprised at what a touching family drama it is under all the hot dog fingers(!), everything bagels, and googly eyes.  I was cheering when the googly eyed rock threw itself off the cliff after the daughter rock.

Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan did superb work in every universe.  I would watch a whole movie with them playing out the doomed romance between a movie star and a lovelorn ex-fiance.  And James Hong and Jamie Lee Curtis were right there with them.

The costumes and effects accented everything perfectly.  This looked like a much more expensive movie than it apparently was.  It executed everything so well.

Edited by MisterGlass
punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Love 12

Russo Bros on ‘Everything Everywhere,’ ‘The Gray Man’ and Working With Netflix: “Nobody Bothers You”
BY MIA GALUPPO   JULY 15, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/anthony-and-joe-russo-the-gray-man-netflix-marvel-1235180430/ 

AGBO is behind Everything Everywhere All at Once. Did you finance as well as produce?

JOE We were the seed capital. I fell in love with [Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert’s 2016] Swiss Army Man. Part of what AGBO does, outside of giant IP, is pay back that karmic debt that we owe the universe. It’s highly experimental and has a level of absurdism married to emotion that I hadn’t seen in a while. We thought that if we could help them calibrate it for a slightly wider audience, there could be something really explosive there.

ANTHONY There aren’t a lot of people that could have gotten that movie through the system in the way that we did. That was basically Joe and I believing — and this goes back to our very early conversations with the Daniels — that there may be a film model for them that had a little more commercial dimension to it.

JOE The Daniels are very disciplined filmmakers. They were able to pull that movie off for the kind of budget that I don’t even think that Anthony and I, with 30 years in the business, could figure out how to execute.

What do you want the industry to take away from the success of Everything Everywhere?

ANTHONY The adventurousness of it.

JOE The miracle of Everything Everywhere All at Once is they spent five years working on that film and it’s highly inventive, a highly personal expression, and really interesting use of the two-hour narrative format. But, fuck, there’s not a lot of those left.  It’s not an easy kind of film to make. We make movies like The Gray Man so that we can help the Daniels make Everything Everywhere All at Once. The way that Soderbergh made Ocean’s 11 so he could help us make Welcome to Collinwood. You can use business-focused content to support more personal projects.

• Like 1
On 7/1/2022 at 4:09 PM, Anela said:

I hope this goes to a streaming service soon. I can't afford to pay $20 to watch/own it. 

You can rent it for 5 dollars and most places. I got lucky. I got an offer from PayPal. They would give me 5 dollars towards anything I ordered on vudu. I rented the movie for 5 dollars so I paid nothing.

Great movie. It had a little bit of everything for everyone.

Im here for the new burst of interest in Yeoh. She really is tremendous. I dont think any character i see in a movie this year will be as impactful to me as hers was.

Here are a couple of my favorite reactor groups watching the movie for the first time.

• Love 1
On 7/8/2022 at 11:20 PM, MisterGlass said:

I got to see it yesterday, and I feel like I have to take a breath and brace myself to explain it.  There are echoes of other scifi movies in the DNA of this, but they are melded together into a crazy, original experience.  I was also surprised at what a touching family drama it is under all the hot dog fingers(!), everything bagels, and googly eyes.  I was cheering when the googly eyed rock threw itself off the cliff after the daughter rock.

Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan did superb work in every universe.  I would watch a whole movie with them playing out the doomed romance between a movie star and a lovelorn ex-fiance.  And James Hong and Jamie Lee Curtis were right there with them.

I really loved the ultimate message of the film- at the end of the day, you cannot get yourself bogged down by the "what if." The truth is that every decision has positives and negatives, and it's up to you to make the best of your life as it is now. Longing for a different life to the point that you can't enjoy your actual one, whether you're a lonely movie star or a competitive hibachi chef, is only going to crush you down. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11

‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Tops Gotham Awards; Full Winners List
BY HILARY LEWIS    NOVEMBER 28, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2022-gotham-awards-winners-full-list-1235270305/ 

Everything Everywhere All at Once was the big winner at the 2022 Gotham Awards.

The film, which went into the night up for three awards, was named best feature during the event Monday at Cipriani Wall Street in New York. Everything Everywhere actor Ke Huy Quan also won best supporting performance for his work in the film.

Accepting best feature, Everything Everywhere co-director Daniel Kwan spoke about his experience of releasing the film over the past year.

“One of the biggest things I learned about this year is the trauma that the people all around our country and all around the world are dealing with right now. Everyone is dealing with some sort of trauma,” Kwan said. “I’ve met so many people after screenings who have revealed that trauma to me because of the nature of our film, and one of the things I’m realizing now is that trauma [is]… the most important thing for us to be dealing with right now because trauma shrinks the imagination and we get trapped in the past. Right now if we’re going to endure the next 20, 30, 40, 50 years together, we’re going to have to heal that trauma collectively. We’re going to have to figure out how to open up the collective imagination and we’re going to have to figure out how to all be whole, emotionally talented, kind, resilient people.”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Unless a movie released in December really takes a stranglehold as the best picture favorite, I would bet on this to win.  I think a lot of pundits back in the spring had this on top of their lists and I don't know if there is anything that has been released yet that really displaces it.  We saw the same blueprint just last year with CODA.  For what it's worth, it certainly checks the most boxes for me from all the other serious contenders I've seen so far.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 7

Agreed. It's my favorite movie of the year by a wide margin.

Edit: And George Miller's Three Thousand Years of Longing is my next favorite, so it's not as if I'm just rating it above superhero movies and raunchy comedies.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 6

Everything Everywhere All at Once got 6 IPA (International Press Academy) nominations - winners will be announced on Feb. 11...

IPA Reveals Nominations for the 27th Satellite™ Awards
December 8, 2022
https://www.pressacademy.com/news/ipa-reveals-nominations-for-the-27th-satellite-awards/
https://www.pressacademy.com/2022-nominees/ 

Actress in Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical 
Margot Robbie    Babylon
Michelle Yeoh    Everything Everywhere All at Once
Janelle Monáe    Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Emma Thompson    Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
Actress in a Supporting Role
Jean Smart    Babylon
Angela Bassett    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Kerry Condon    The Banshees of Inisherin
Dolly de Leon    Triangle of Sadness
Claire Foy    Women Talking
Jamie Lee Curtis    Everything Everywhere All at Once

Actor in a Supporting Role
Eddie Redmayne    The Good Nurse
Ben Whishaw    Women Talking
Paul Dano    The Fabelmans
Brendan Gleeson    The Banshees of Inisherin
Ke Huy Quan    Everything Everywhere All at Once
Jeremy Strong    Armageddon Time
Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical 
Triangle of Sadness
Everything Everywhere All at Once
RRR
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis

Screenplay, Original
Daniel Scheinert & Daniel Kwan    Everything Everywhere All at Once
Tony Kushner & Steven Spielberg    The Fabelmans
Martin McDonagh    The Banshees of Inisherin
Ruben Östlund    Triangle of Sadness
Todd Field    Tár    
Lukas Dhont & Angelo Tijssens    Close
Film Editing
Eddie Hamilton    Top Gun: Maverick
Jonathan Redmond & Matt Villa    Elvis
Sarah Broshar & Michael Kahn    The Fabelmans
Paul Rogers    Everything Everywhere All at Once
Monika Willi    Tár
Terilyn A. Shropshire    The Woman King

Edited by tv echo

Everything Everywhere All at Once got 6 Golden Globe nominations - winners will be announced on Jan. 10...

Golden Globes 2023: Complete Nominations List
By Brent Lang, Jordan Moreau     Dec 12, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/golden-globes-nominations-list-nominees-2-1235455667/ 

Best Picture, Musical or Comedy
“Babylon” (Paramount Pictures) 
“The Banshees of Inisherin” (Searchlight Pictures) 
“Everything Everywhere All at Once” (A24) 
“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” (Netflix) 
“Triangle of Sadness” (Neon)

Best Director, Motion Picture
James Cameron (“Avatar: The Way of Water”) 
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”) 
Baz Luhrmann (“Elvis”) 
Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) 
Steven Spielberg (“The Fabelmans”)

Best Screenplay, Motion Picture
“Tár” (Focus Features) — Todd Field 
“Everything Everywhere All at Once” (A24) — Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert 
“The Banshees of Inisherin” (Searchlight Pictures) — Martin McDonagh 
“Women Talking” (MGM/United Artists Releasing) — Sarah Polley 
“The Fabelmans” (Universal Pictures) — Steven Spielberg, Tony Kushne
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Lesley Manville (“Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris”) 
Margot Robbie (“Babylon”) 
Anya Taylor-Joy (“The Menu”) 
Emma Thompson (“Good Luck to You, Leo Grande”) 
Michelle Yeoh (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture
Brendan Gleeson (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) 
Barry Keoghan (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) 
Brad Pitt (“Babylon”)
Ke Huy Quan (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”) 
Eddie Redmayne (“The Good Nurse”)

Best Supporting Actress, Motion Picture
Angela Bassett (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”) 
Kerry Condon (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) 
Jamie Lee Curtis (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”) 
Dolly De Leon (“Triangle of Sadness”)
Carey Mulligan (“She Said”)

Everything Everywhere got 14 noms for Critics Choice Awards...

‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Leads Critics Choice Awards with 14 Nominations
Anne Thompson     December 14, 2022
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/12/2023-critics-choice-awards-film-nominees-full-list-1234792142/ 

The 600-member Critics Choice Association (CCA) revealed the film category nominees for the 28th Annual Critics Choice Awards, which will be held at the Critics Choice Awards gala, broadcast live on The CW from the Fairmont Century Plaza in Los Angeles on Sunday, January 15, 2023 (at 7:00 p.m. ET). As the largest film critic association in North America, the CCAs are often predictive of the Oscars.
“Everything Everywhere All at Once” (A24) led the film contenders with 14 nominations overall: Best Picture, Best Comedy, and five acting nominations including Acting Ensemble. Filmmakers Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, AKA Daniels, earned nods in both Best Director and Best Original Screenplay; nominated in the craft categories were Production Design, Editing, Costume Design, Hair and Makeup, and Visual Effects.
BEST PICTURE

“Avatar: The Way of Water”
“Babylon”
“The Banshees of Inisherin”
“Elvis”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“The Fabelmans”
“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”
“RRR”
“Tár”
“Top Gun: Maverick”
“Women Talking”
BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett – “Tár”
Viola Davis – “The Woman King”
Danielle Deadwyler – “Till”
Margot Robbie – “Babylon”
Michelle Williams – “The Fabelmans”
Michelle Yeoh – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Paul Dano – “The Fabelmans”
Brendan Gleeson – “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Judd Hirsch – “The Fabelmans”
Barry Keoghan – “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Ke Huy Quan – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Brian Tyree Henry – “Causeway”
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Angela Bassett – “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
Jessie Buckley – “Women Talking”
Kerry Condon – “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Jamie Lee Curtis – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Stephanie Hsu – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Janelle Monáe – “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”
BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE

“The Fabelmans”
“The Woman King”
“Women Talking”
BEST DIRECTOR

James Cameron – “Avatar: The Way of Water”
Damien Chazelle – “Babylon”
Todd Field – “Tár”
Baz Luhrmann – “Elvis”
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Martin McDonagh – “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Sarah Polley – “Women Talking”
Gina Prince-Bythewood – “The Woman King”
S. S. Rajamouli – “RRR”
Steven Spielberg – “The Fabelmans”
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Todd Field – “Tár”
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Martin McDonagh – “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Steven Spielberg, Tony Kushner – “The Fabelmans”
Charlotte Wells – “Aftersun”
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Hannah Beachler, Lisa K. Sessions – “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
Rick Carter, Karen O’Hara – “The Fabelmans”
Dylan Cole, Ben Procter, Vanessa Cole – “Avatar: The Way of Water”
Jason Kisvarday, Kelsi Ephraim – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Catherine Martin, Karen Murphy, Bev Dunn – “Elvis”
Florencia Martin, Anthony Carlino – “Babylon”

BEST EDITING

Tom Cross – “Babylon”
Eddie Hamilton – “Top Gun: Maverick”
Stephen Rivkin, David Brenner, John Refoua, James Cameron – “Avatar: The Way of Water”
Paul Rogers – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Matt Villa, Jonathan Redmond – “Elvis”
Monika Willi – “Tár”

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Ruth E. Carter – “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
Jenny Eagan – “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”
Shirley Kurata – “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Catherine Martin – “Elvis”
Gersha Phillips – “The Woman King”
Mary Zophres – “Babylon”
BEST HAIR AND MAKEUP

“Babylon”
“The Batman”
“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
“Elvis”
“The Whale”

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

“Avatar: The Way of Water”
“The Batman”
“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
“RRR”
“Top Gun: Maverick”

BEST COMEDY

“Bros”
“Triangle of Sadness”
“The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent”

• Love 3

I'm watching this right now on Showtime and I'm still having trouble figuring shit out.  I might watch it again later but right now there's just too much to take in.  Too many ridiculous fight scenes.

Jamie Lee Curtis is a hoot. 

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 3
On 12/16/2022 at 3:22 PM, Crashcourse said:

I'm watching this right now on Showtime and I'm still having trouble figuring shit out. 

The first time I watched it I kind of mind wandered off in the middle...and by the end I thought what the hell?  It did make me want to come back though, and during the second time with it I got way more out if it.  Sometimes films like this you have to relax yourself into the story and action and let it's magic really work it's way over you.  Now it's my fave film of the year.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

The first time I watched it I kind of mind wandered off in the middle...and by the end I thought what the hell?  It did make me want to come back though, and during the second time with it I got way more out if it.  Sometimes films like this you have to relax yourself into the story and action and let it's magic really work it's way over you.  Now it's my fave film of the year.

I'll give it another shot sometime. 

• Like 2