Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E14: Oscar Isaac / Charli XCX

• Start Topic

Cold Open: A Russian Sugar Baby fundraiser hosted by Fox News was great. Bowen as Steven Seagal was inspired casting. Matt Gaetz reading Lolita went over the heads of some people in the audience.

"Every time I laugh, an angel dies."

Monologue: Glad to see Oscar Isaac here. He really should've hosted when Star Wars was big, but he wanted to wait til the pandemic was over. I loved that he was able to show his home movie when he was ten. The part where he licked his own sword is one of the best things I've seen. It'll probably be one of the funniest things tonight.

Paw Patrol: An anti-Paw Patrol political ad is a genius concept. Someone in the writers room has a kid and is so sick of these dogs. The reveal that Oscar Isaac is the Mayor's wife was great, but that the ad was paid for by "Cats" could've been handled better. That said, I truly bought Oscar Isaac as a politician, and he could play M Bison in a Street Fighter movie a la Raul Julia. 

Inventing Chloe: Chloe finally gets a chance to shine! I  loved the voice she was using, but I feel like I'd get more out of this if I knew what Inventing Anna was. Che just leaving Update with his rolling suitcase was great.

HR: This was great all around. Oscar and Cecily had great chemistry.

The Green Ribbon: I knew there was gonna be SOME twist to this classic story, but wasn't expect little singing meatball men hanging off Sarah's body. This was great. Weird as hell, but great.

"It's not poisonous, it'll just stain your clothes. And it IS poisonous." I wonder if Sarah wrote this one? Apparently this was Kenan's 1500th sketch?

WU: Che wasn't wrong about Kamala Harris. Ever since she became VP, we've hardly heard from her. The jokes were on fire tonight.

Kate was definitely channeling Emily Litella in her bit. Also loved seeing Ego back as The Mother in Her Darkest Hour. "She looks like she's going to a sex funeral" is my current line of the night. Loved her.

The Sexual Woman: I loved Aidy's self-indulgent Mary Sue sketch where it's just Oscar Isaac hitting on her. Horny Aidy is always hilarious, I loved the callbacks to other sketches where hosts played Hot Dads. They delivered that deliberately stilted dialogue so well.  

In Over Your Head: Oscar Isaac's bit was fun, but I like the reveal that Kenan was a terrible handyman, and the entire set was full of fake tools.

Fiction Workshop: Speaking of self-indulgence, here's a janitor writing a story about Dua Lipa falling in love with him. "The famous ginger MILF?!" coming out of nowhere gave me a giant laugh.

This was a really fun episode. Oscar Isaac's accents did a lot of heavy lifting tonight, but I loved how game he was for everything. Zoe Kravitz hosts next week.

• Love 13
(edited)

I like this "In Over Your Head" sketch.  Kenan Thompson plays "Gus Van Tant".  LOL.

Oscar is really funny here.

"No, trust me, there is no God."  😄

Oscar really committed to this sketch LOL and the peacock hair this is too much.

I consider any SNL episode a success if it makes me laugh out loud more than one and this episode certainly qualified.  Good for Oscar.  Everyone already loves him and now things will only get worse.  😄.  He was such a good sport for that Aidy sketch which definitely encapsulates how the internet feels about him.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
50 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Okay, nothing from this episode was going into my brain, but now I'm at the HR sketch and I am laughing until I cry.  It's so ridiculous and so my sense of humour for some reason.

When I go through training (or whatever it's called), I have to watch it on the computer. It's a cringe that's only topped when I get live-action scenes instead of stills. This? Might have been worse.

6 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Inventing Chloe:

??? I am what is referred to as "a lame."

8 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Paw Patrol: An anti-Paw Patrol political ad is a genius concept. Someone in the writers room has a kid and is so sick of these dogs. The reveal that Oscar Isaac is the Mayor's wife was great, but that the ad was paid for by "Cats" could've been handled better. That said, I truly bought Oscar Isaac as a politician, and he could play M Bison in a Street Fighter movie a la Raul Julia. as for everything. Zoe Kravitz hosts next week.

Cute . . . but I'm thinking the ideal audience for that sketch was parents of young children

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

but I feel like I'd get more out of this if I knew what Inventing Anna was

A dramatization of the story of This Lady

Another really solid episode, not a bust in any of the sketches. Always good when you have a host who's into it. Best WU line had to be Che's joke about March 1st

edit: oh and as an uncle who's had to watch too many hours of it: Fuck the Paw Patrol

Edited by MrWhyt
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

I also thought it was pretty good. Maybe nothing really earth shattering, but Oscar Isaac had a very nice, easygoing vibe that meshed really well and he came across as so likable. He was like another cast member. And I love the whole idea of a host sharing home movies from their childhood.

I wasn't feeling the Cold Open until Cecily's absolute fierceness as Kim Guilfoyle belting out her version of Shallow. Pure awesomeness.

I'm way past the demographic of Paw Patrol. The best part of it for me was Oscar's voice. I also noticed again how easily Dismukes is picking up those young guy roles that Pete use to own.

Update rocked again.  

• Love 8
(edited)

Seeing Heidi and Melissa in this last sketch is kinda awkward.  We never see them anymore. And Aidy is leading the sketch so the others aren't really talking.  Clearly Aidy is a big favourite right now.

Was Punkie or Andrew in this episode?

Damn, Oscar is a really, really good actor.  I was never a big Oscar fangirl but I can really see how talented he is tonight.  It's like he's not even on a sketch show, he is taking this so seriously.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Was Punkie or Andrew in this episode?

Andrew absolutely was in a few sketches, Paw Patrol, Chloe's piece, and The HR sketch. He's nailing it. Punkie is always feast or famine. And I wish the show knew what to do with Aristotle.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

For those confused by Chloe's skit, it might help to watch the trailer for Inventing Anna which has become Netflix's most watched English show since they changed ho they count.

So it's simultaneously a massive hit and, because of how spread out our viewing options are these days, rather obscure.

Oscar was a lot of fun.  I liked how he mentioned he had to license his home video to NBC Universal because I actually was wondering about it.

I also liked Aidy's Mary Sue skit but they didn't kiss.  She failed to deliver the goods.

I'm really surprised they didn't do anything with the looks Oscar was giving Jessica Chastain on a red carpet that caused such a stir.  I think that'd make for a funny promo for the show even if it isn't enough for a skit.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

Andrew absolutely was in a few sketches, Paw Patrol, Chloe's piece, and The HR sketch. He's nailing it. Punkie is always feast or famine. And I wish the show knew what to do with Aristotle.   

That they had a writing assistant in that Chloe piece rather than  giving the role to Aristotle (I think this guy has been in the same role before  too this season) makes me feel like they have given up on  Aristotle.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm watching the HR sketch again and losing my mind.  i have to figure out who wrote this

Please  Don't Destroy.

1 hour ago, JeanJean said:

This is the first time I liked Sarah. She seemed to yell the other times, but I thought she was great in the meatballs sketch.

I have liked her, but I  have also gotten tired of the shouting. She seemed much more at ease her - maybe because she finally  got to do something closer to her own work outside of SNL (just not as gory).

Anyway,  I felt like a number of  pieces in this episode could have been made tighter and sharper, but I didn't really dislike anything either, aside from the usual cold open problems. I loved the writing class sketch, and the monologue,  and  enjoyed that HR sketch more than I probably should have thanks to the quality of the performances. 

Oscar threw himself into the show in a way that impressed me.  He must have been nervous, but he felt like such a natural, and didn't even seem that glued to the cards. I felt like there was a  real breakout, gem of a moment that was missing for Oscar which I wanted to see, but he was great in everything. I hope they ask him back as soon as possible. 

I appreciated what Kate was trying to get across on Update, but I'm never sure how I feel when SNL tries to tackle these issues. Still, a powerful moment. 

Happy to see Ego finally getting something to do again.

Tonight, Kenan hit 1,500 sketches.

Dress rehearsal report:

One of the cut pieces (I would have put this in over the Chloe pre-tape).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

That they had a writing assistant in that Chloe piece rather than  giving the role to Aristotle (I think this guy has been in the same role before  too this season) makes me feel like they have given up on  Aristotle.

Since they were doing Inventing Anna, they had to use someone VERY low in the hierarchy—part of the real story was Anna stiffing some of her low paid worker friends, not just soaking the rich. Agreed, though, it would be nice if they would fit Aristotle in somewhere.

I’ll ask resident expert @Pete Martell if he knows, is this the first time ever that Michael Che got to say, “This is Weekend Update,” and introduce himself first? Not only that, the YouTube channel always shows the top stories with a still of Colin and the second half of Update with a still of Michael. But this week the first video (Russian forces) has Michael’s picture and the second half (Euphoria fans) has Colin’s. I’ve always wondered whether they’d ever switch that up towards a more equal partnership.

I know Ego’s bit was about Rihanna’s pregnancy outfits, but damn is it a billboard for saving reproductive choice.

Edited by ahisma
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Why does Charlie XCX call herself XCX? Is there a story behind that, or is it just random? 

Idk, but im so over these girls with their Fredie Krueger fingernails! Not attractive at all, distracting from their music really.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ahisma said:

Since they were doing Inventing Anna, they had to use someone VERY low in the hierarchy—part of the real story was Anna stiffing some of her low paid worker friends, not just soaking the rich. Agreed, though, it would be nice if they would fit Aristotle in somewhere.

He could have easily been one of the 2 guys getting Oscar Isaac ready for his date with Aidy, instead of Bowen or Kyle.

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I think it's very hard to read too much into one small and relatively minor role like that. Who knows, but even people in the regular cast like Alex and Melissa seem to continuously struggle for airtime. And I do understand the rationale  of using someone unfamiliar as a Page when cast members are playing (versions of) themselves.   

As much as I enjoyed Aidy's fantasy piece, it's stuff like that  that chokes out the newer players. And the ironic thing about the whole piece is there was Aidy in the final sketch of the night playing another teacher. 

4 hours ago, ahisma said:

is this the first time ever that Michael Che got to say, “This is Weekend Update,” and introduce himself first?

Just from my perspective on this, I thought they switched back and forth on that pretty regularly. I do remember Che saying it before this time.

But on a different topic, I have no idea why I keyed in on it this time, but why does Kate use what sounded like one of her vaguely European accents for Laura Ingraham in the Cold Open? (Not that I'm an expert on Ingraham or anything.)  Just sounded very odd.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

As much as I enjoyed Aidy's fantasy piece, it's stuff like that  that chokes out the newer players. And the ironic thing about the whole piece is there was Aidy in the final sketch of the night playing another teacher. 

Yes!

1 hour ago, vb68 said:

And I do understand the rationale  of using someone unfamiliar as a Page when cast members are playing (versions of) themselves.   

Agreed.

• Love 2

After watching Oscar Isaac host, all I kept thinking was that I wish he would’ve played Ricky in that Being the Ricardos movie. He just disappears into whatever role he’s playing.

It’s pretty tough following a Mulaney-hosted episode, but I thought this one was OK.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I'd never heard of Oscar Isaac but now I'm a big fan. He was great in everything. 

I didn't hear any of Charlie XCX's music. The first song I kept staring at her Freddy Krueger (thanks @xls) nails and wondering how she eats or even gets dressed, except she didn't do much of that "get dressed" thing. For her second song I didn't look at her once, I constantly watched the blond background dancer on the left. Couldn't take my eyes off him. So didn't hear that song either.

I give Oscar Isaac a 10, Charlie XCX a big zero. Wish SNL would quit giving exposure to these "singers" who are all about their physical exposure.

• Love 13
59 minutes ago, SHD said:

After watching Oscar Isaac host, all I kept thinking was that I wish he would’ve played Ricky in that Being the Ricardos movie. He just disappears into whatever role he’s playing.

Actually, David Alvarez (Bernardo in the new West Side Story) would have been a phenomenal Desi if they had cast according to the ages Desi and Lucy actually were at the time.

• Love 2

Of course I’ve seen Oscar in stuff, but, wow, I was really impressed with him as host. On the same level as a really great, versatile cast member. I hope he’s asked back soon.

• Love 12
(edited)
14 hours ago, vb68 said:

I wasn't feeling the Cold Open until Cecily's absolute fierceness as Kim Guilfoyle belting out her version of Shallow. Pure awesomeness.

As always, Cecily was outstanding. She was the highlight of the Cold Open. I'm not sure the audience got that her loud "singing" was actually a reference to Guilfoyle's loud screeching at some appearance.

14 hours ago, vb68 said:

And I wish the show knew what to do with Aristotle.   

Me, too. I'm not really up on SNL's writer's room and prep and everything, but I wonder how much Aristotle contributes comedy ideas.

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Why does Charlie XCX call herself XCX? Is there a story behind that, or is it just random? 

I was going to ask the same thing. XCX is not a valid Roman numeral, but individually it is 10 100 10. So... I have no idea.

As far as Oscar Isaac, I thought he was fantastic. His voice work was great. I was immediately impressed with his voice in the Paw Patrol sketch, but also as the meatball guy, Aidy's paramour in A Sexual Woman, In Over Your Head, and the writing class sketch. Just totally committed.

I had just finished watching Inventing Anna yesterday, and I figured the show would do a parody of it. Although I hated the original, I thought this sketch was pretty good. My favorite part was Che immediately and gladly leaving the WU set.

The HR harassment seminar sketch was great. The show has done something similar before, right? Anyway, what really made this work was Oscar and Cecily.

Little Meatball Guys was... woah. Weird. Gross. Pretty funny. Who the heck came up with that?

In WU I loved the joke with the photo of Ron deSantis. "Seen here being told someone's pronouns." Perfect. I can imagine the photo being used in a Caption This contest.

I loved The Sexual Woman. It was an amusing concept, but again Oscar just elevated it.

In Over Your Head was fine. Loved Oscar's voice and character, but I think my favorite part of this was the final look betw Tommy (Kyle) and Gus (Kenan). It really cracked me up.

And I loved the writing class sketch. I'm a broken record, but Oscar made this work. 

Oh, I nearly forgot about the monologue. I adored seeing clips from his first movie. 

Musical guest Charli XCX? I listened to the beginnings of both songs then FF'd thru. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 9
(edited)
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

I found a story in the Sun that said the Xs are for kisses and the C is for Charli. (Actually what they said is "Charli XCX stands for Charli Kiss Charli." but wouldn't it be "kiss Charli kiss"?) Apparently it was her MSN messenger name. 

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

My favorite part was Che immediately and gladly leaving the WU set.

I enjoyed every time she stated Lorne's email was coming, but Che leaving was the best.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

l Ioved The Sexual Woman. It was an amusing concept, but again Oscar just elevated it.

Oscar was delightful in this.  I felt as though there was something missing in Aidy's story though. Maybe more backstage politics or interacting with Lorne or other cast members?  I have to say it was slightly disturbing that her examples of getting sexy sketches with other hosts included one of the "kids at a sleepover with hot dad"  apparently without irony.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

JAJ definitely has 45's cadence down but the pitch is still too high IMO. Maybe that's deliberate though, for comedic effect.

The Delvey skit went right by me. I haven't watched Inventing Anna. Oh well.

Raw intercourse. As opposed to cooked intercourse? 😏

That meatball skit was insane. It was like watching a 20-car pileup in slow motion but with a laugh track. The horror just keeps getting worse but somehow it's funny.

How long before FL tries to ban SNL, lol?

The singer was lip-syncing, right? Something about her performance screamed "poser" to me, especially the second song.

I really liked how game Oscar Isaac was. Hope he can host again, sooner than 5+ years from now.

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

I think it's very hard to read too much into one small and relatively minor role like that. Who knows, but even people in the regular cast like Alex and Melissa seem to continuously struggle for airtime. And I do understand the rationale  of using someone unfamiliar as a Page when cast members are playing (versions of) themselves.   

I suppose what confuses me is I think they could have just switched the page out for minor cast member playing themselves, and the content wouldn't have  changed that much.

He's not alone in getting few roles, but Melissa and even Punkie (last week) have had more to  do of late. I think the last time he had anything beyond mute background parts was a cut for time Angelo reprisal in the Billie Eilish episode. There have been five episodes since they came back in January and he hasn't had a speaking part, even when Pete was out for the last two weeks. 

Comparing him to Sarah, who like him started off with less to do, and has steadily worked her way up (even with Kate, Aidy and Cecily all getting a lot of airtime), it just feels like they're almost going out of their way to not use him after he had some successful roles early on.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Where is Pete at the moment?

Filming a movie.

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's a pun on "Sex," right?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Filming a movie.

Wow, I thought Pete was prevented from appearing on the show because Kanye has made so many personal threats to him lately.  Not kidding!  Also, having him on the show would just amp up more drama related to the situation which they probably don't want to instigate. Then again, you cannot punish an employee for being threatened.  So I guess it's good that he's filming a movie.  

• Love 2

The first Charlie XCX song sounded good, like something I'd enjoy on the dance floor, but I couldn't watch that performance with those Edward Scissorhands claws.  Yuck.  Her 'normal' fingernails are bad enough.

On 3/6/2022 at 1:01 AM, Galileo908 said:

WU: Che wasn't wrong about Kamala Harris. Ever since she became VP, we've hardly heard from her.

I disagree.  I see her doing interviews all the time.

On 3/6/2022 at 10:39 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I felt really old because I couldn't believe how nude she was.  It was shocking.  I felt uncomfortable watching and to be honest I didn't.

I wasn't shocked, but I did find her outfit confusing.  What was with those long medieval sleeves over lace underwear anyway?

• Love 1
(edited)

Ego tweeted that she was petitioning for Oscar to join the cast, so, clearly he was well-received.

I would’ve thought that Charli XCX would have brought more given the drama of her initial appearance being bumped with the COVID Rudd episode.   Also, there’s a fine line between sampling and straight up doing a cover song and that first song was the latter.  (‘Cry For You’ by September, I googled.)  Also, they’re not quite the Freddie Kruger claws but ridiculously long nails seem to be the trend amongst some of my coworkers and I have literally no idea how they can manage with them.

I was holding out hope for an actual Dua Lipa cameo with the last sketch.

AFAIK, he’s never been in a straight-up rom-com, but any studio exec worth their salt should IMMEDIATELY green-light Oscar in a rom-com — heck, why not costarring Aidy — but unfortunately it seems like that’s a straight-to-streaming genre right now.  (Not even queen of the genre J.Lo could prevent ‘Marry Me’ from premiering on Peacock.)

Edited by Lethallyfab
Nails
  • Love 9
On 3/5/2022 at 11:12 PM, vb68 said:

That meatball sketch is the most bizarre  off the wall sketch I have seen in a long time.  And I mean that in a good way.

I Think The Meat Ball Sketch Was Very Creative And I Like The Different Cast Members Singing And I Like To See Her And Chris Redd Dating, BUT, I Don't Like The Meat Balls Being Different Parts OF The Body And I Do NOT Like The Throwing Up ! ! Sorry  About The Run On Sentence !