Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Maisel vs. Lennon: The Cut Contest

• Start Topic

That is some unfortunate timing on the 'when the red light goes on the Russians are invading' joke.

How annoying for Rose to get a chance like that just to be knocked back by the bitter 'small business council'. I really want her to stand up and fight for her business. I hope the writers aren't just a repeating of the Oklahoma story here.

Why doesn't Susie just sell all the stuff from Sophie? That car alone would be great for her bank balance. I know, I know, because its TV ...
Midge and Sophie working on the same show was never going to go well. I assume she got fired.
With 2 episodes left, what are the odds of the TV guy catching Midge at the nipple palace and getting her on the talk show (kudos to everyone who already had that TV/Late Night Show story on their Maisel bingo card before the season kicked off) and give her career a big push. It might be overshadowed by Shirely having a heart attack over Joel having a kid with a non-Jewish girl.

I like Imogene, but whats the point of her popping up for a few seconds in every other episode? Why have we never seen her watch and support her friend at the club?

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Aulty said:

Why doesn't Susie just sell all the stuff from Sophie? That car alone would be great for her bank balance. I know, I know, because its TV ...

That painting is literally priceless! Susie could make enough to move into a better (non-mob-owned) office and hire a pool of secretaries.

Unless the painting is a copy but that is usually not Sophie's style.

8 hours ago, Aulty said:

I like Imogene, but whats the point of her popping up for a few seconds in every other episode? Why have we never seen her watch and support her friend at the club?

I don't want her to be Abe's little pet. He does not even bother to learn her name and no that is not funny.

I hope this season ends with Rose leaving Abe to be with that handsome guy with the horses.

• Love 10

I’m curious as to how people are viewing the show after these 6 episodes?

So much of the behavior from every character has been childish and ugly.

I hated that stupid fight at the end of the episode. Miriam can never learn to act in her own best interest and I find it exhausting, not entertaining. 

Right now, Mei and most of Rose are the only likable characters. (Maybe some of Joel’s father too.)  The rest are angry and bitter. 

I feel they’ve forgotten that the show is a comedy because very little of it is funny in my view. Mostly completely nonsensical and angry, bitter and shrill.

• Love 20
(edited)
31 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I hope this season ends with Rose leaving Abe to be with that handsome guy with the horses.

Gilmore Girls' very own Max Medina ... Maaaaaax Medina. The character did mention a wife though.

Between him and Chris Eigeman (aka Digger Styles) as Abe's newspaper editor,  I wonder why (and am glad that) out of all the guys on GG the Palladinos never hire David Sutcliffe for any of their other shows.

6 minutes ago, rose711 said:

Right now, Mei and most of Rose are the only likable characters. (Maybe some of Joel’s father too.)  The rest are angry and bitter.

Joel's parents are only a minor annoyance this season (or maybe I've just gotten used to them). His father stopping by the club to talk about the mysterious Rachel (aka Mei) was actually quite sweet.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Aulty said:

Gilmore Girls' very own Max Medina ... Maaaaaax Medina. The character did mention a wife though.

Between him and Chris Eigeman (aka Digger Styles) as Abe's newspaper editor,  I wonder why (and am glad that) out of all the guys on GG the Palladinos never hire David Sutcliffe for any of their other shows.

Even Joel's parents are somewhat likeable this season. His father stopping by the club to talk about the mysterious Rachell (aka Mei) was actually quite sweet.

I don’t like the ridiculous story of Joel’s mother constantly fixing him up and he’s avoiding her. Another lie going in Joel’s dishonest life. I know he wants to introduce Mei to his parents and she refuses.  Why didn’t he sit down and tell his Dad the truth? 

I do agree that his father is sweet. Joel’s father is an underrated character. He is loud, demanding, but he is the only responsible adult in the show. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, rose711 said:

Joel’s father is an underrated character. He is loud, demanding, but he is the only responsible adult in the show. 

Yes! From season 1 where it's told how he smuggled Jews out of Europe during WW II, to his support of Joel throughout the marriage breakup, to giving Joel money after Joel got his father's business solvent, to lending Midge money for the apartment, to the advice he gives his son about how to do business, Moishe's been a mensch.

• Love 20

While it's very well acted and the sets and costumes are to die for, I simply cannot stand Midge's character.  Pushy, annoying, obnoxious and someone I would never want to know in real life.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Yes! From season 1 where it's told how he smuggled Jews out of Europe during WW II, to his support of Joel throughout the marriage breakup, to giving Joel money after Joel got his father's business solvent, to lending Midge money for the apartment, to the advice he gives his son about how to do business, Moishe's been a mensch.

Not to mention he gave Rose and Abe a home when they had nowhere else to go.

• Love 20
16 hours ago, Aulty said:

what are the odds of the TV guy catching Midge at the nipple palace and getting her on the talk show

That's Rachel Brosnahan's real-life husband (Jason Ralph), so I think that's a good bet - surely they wouldn't have cast him in a throwaway role that never interacts with her. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 11

Little trivia: Mike Carr is Midge’s husband IRL! 

Are we done with the Sophie BS now? Obviously they’ll never have her change so what’s the point of constantly bringing her back?

Just now, Kareny said:

That's Rachel Brosnahan's real-life husband (Jason Ralph), so I think that's a good bet - surely they wouldn't have cast him in a throwaway role that never interacts with her. 

Jinx! Lol

• Love 4

Sophie is pretty stupid. All she had to do was stay out of Midge's way (and vis versa of course) to stay in Susie's good graces.

She wants what Midge and Susie have and Sophie will never get it.

I do feel bad for Midge.

Interesting turn of events for Joel and Mei.

How many more episodes?? I missed  Maaaxxxx Medina but caught Kelly Bishop. When is Milo Ventimiglia coming on?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Kelly Bishop! Has Amy ever done a show without Kelly?

I vaguely recall ASP doing a short lived show with Parker Posey.  Perhaps that one? 

2 hours ago, greekmom said:

Sophie is pretty stupid. All she had to do was stay out of Midge's way (and vis versa of course) to stay in Susie's good graces.

What's interesting to me is Sophie seems to have some recognition that she self sabotages, at least from her interview in talking about her play, but there she goes and blows up the chance to get back with Susie because she can't control her jealousy of Midge.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Aulty said:

I think David Sutcliffe doesn’t act anymore — he has a health and wellness business, if I’m remembering correctly.  

• Useful 1

Well.. Maisel can’t help herself. She had a way of making money, pay bills, and blew it once again. But in this case, I can’t blame her.
Sophie blew it even more. She couldn’t handle anyone being funny or entertaining on her show. She probably lost Susie forever.  At least I hope so. Sophie doesn’t deserve Susie.

Susie is right, there isn’t a place for people to see Midge perform. She can’t have them go to an illegal boob bar. Maybe the club owners will see that Maisel brings in the people, big bar tabs, and turn the club into a legit place with Susie booking the acts…

Interesting that Joel and Mai will be parents… so maybe Joel won’t end up back with Midge.

I think we are seeing the beginning of the end for Lenny. How sad.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

Interesting turn of events for Joel and Mei.

How many more episodes??

Just 2 more episodes left?

18 minutes ago, CinAZ said:

Interesting that Joel and Mai will be parents… so maybe Joel won’t end up back with Midge.

Or...☹️...Mei will die of sepsis after having a back-alley abortion in Chicago.
Having a mixed-race child, having an abortion, and having a professional career as a woman were all issues really started coming to light in the 1960s, so it could go either way.

• Love 4

It's clear next week Midge will be out of the break they just gave her.  Obviously the whole point of this ending.  But it reenforces that they're happy to basically have her stuck in her career.  It gets boring.

Plus, arguably her mother was right that Midge's choices killed her career. Obviously the Matchmaker Mafia still would have come after Rose regardless, but with less ammo.

4 hours ago, greekmom said:

How many more episodes??

A mere two.  They're really running out of time to set up the final season.

• Love 7

Yeah, I read this more as an abortion situation than introducing Moishe and Shirley to their chinese grandchild... It isn't that she couldn't be a doctor and have a baby.  People do.  But it is so much harder and she is going to be a doctor.  

Couldn't Suzie send the tv guy to Joel's club?  Is that too outside the right geography?  

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Yeah, I read this more as an abortion situation than introducing Moishe and Shirley to their chinese grandchild... It isn't that she couldn't be a doctor and have a baby.  People do.  But it is so much harder and she is going to be a doctor.  

Couldn't Suzie send the tv guy to Joel's club?  Is that too outside the right geography?  

Did you know she is going to be a doctor?  I hadn’t heard. Yes more exhausting SP writing. 

I don’t like that Midge said “I’m hilarious” several times. A weird thing to say and also the routines are not that funny, but I think they are somewhat better this year. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

IMDb describes the show as a dramedy.

The Emmy award nominations are for comedy. 

Which classification is more important?

My point was it hasn’t been funny. So even as a dramedy, it doesn’t have comedy.

I’m trying to think of anything comic this season. It’s all been bitter and childish.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sigh, all Midge had to do was shut her mouth and step aside for Sophie and collect her paycheck. Or maybe take the 12k and sign the document to not say anything about the thing she was t saying anything about anyway. Or Susie take the car and the painting and sell them. Honestly, everyone on this show is an idiot about money. I’m guessing maybe Shy comes to her rescue with his American tour?

I would love to watch a show about the matchmaker wars though! 

Edited by Insert Username
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, Insert Username said:

Sigh, all Midge had to do was shut her mouth and step aside for Sophie and collect her paycheck. Or maybe take the 12k and sign the document to not say anything about the thing she was t saying anything about anyway. Or Susie take the car and the painting and sell them. Honestly, everyone on this show is an idiot about money. I’m guessing maybe Shy comes to her rescue with his American tour?

I would love to watch a show about the matchmaker wars though! 

This. The previous episode she had just told Shy she had learned her lesson. Why hasn't she learned her lesson with Sophie. She should have either said no thanks, or like you said, step aside. She of all people should know that Sophie has to have the spot light. She knows that Shophie had her blackballed....

• Love 10
8 hours ago, CinAZ said:

Susie is right, there isn’t a place for people to see Midge perform. She can’t have them go to an illegal boob bar. Maybe the club owners will see that Maisel brings in the people, big bar tabs, and turn the club into a legit place with Susie booking the acts…

I think we are seeing the beginning of the end for Lenny. How sad.

She could have had the tv guy come to Joel's club. 

• Love 7

The episode description of "Sophie just wants to help" was really perfect, wasn't it? Sophie just couldn't help herself from turning into a green-eyed monster of raging jealousy. And, of course, Midge cannot ever back down. 
If Midge was more Jimmy Fallon-ish, she would have stood slightly to the side when Sophie came out and just kept smiling. 
The line that stood out to me was that Midge would be working for NBC, not Sophie. Seriously, Midge.

1 hour ago, Insert Username said:

Sigh, all Midge had to do was shut her mouth and step aside for Sophie and collect her paycheck. Or maybe take the 12k and sign the document to not say anything about the thing she was t saying anything about anyway. Or Susie take the car and the painting and sell them. Honestly, everyone on this show is an idiot about money...

In today's or, perhaps, last year's money in the US, the $12K hush money would be at least $110K (Google inflation calculator). It would be enough to solve Midge's short-term cash flow issues, but perhaps besmirch her name among her peers?

The Caravaggio's value is difficult to determine because sometimes prices have been in the millions, but, again, Googling, indicates the Caravaggio would actually net Susie an amount similar to the hush money offered to Midge, or about $12K in 1960, and probably a lot less because Susie hasn't been shown to be good with money. Same issue with Susie selling the car. Not that she shouldn't take all the stuff and sell it--just that I doubt it will solve her issues. One of my daughters lives in Chinatown and has a relationship with money like Susie's minus the gambling (which has apparently magically disappeared, but maybe that's the magician/hypnotist roommate's doing). But for both Susie and that daughter, no injection of cash ever fixes the problem.  
Hrrmmm...maybe what my daughter needs is some mob connections like Susie's. In this series, the mob guys seem to have provided the most helpful assistance to Susie. Rose's whipped cream didn't hurt either, but was mostly air and quickly devoured, whereas real estate in Manhattan--even Chinatown--is worth more than anything else, including cash. And Susie may not "own" her office/apartment, but a lot of "owners" in Manhattan just "own" a share of a cooperative, and over time, if she's successful, she could at least come to own a share. 

But the NBC contract that Midge just blew? Priceless.

• Love 5

It's gotten so predictable,  Midge stubbornly refuses to do herself any favors and hurts everyone around her just because.

Like all you have said,  all she had to do was step aside and give Sophie the spotlight,  that would have been the smart move, but Midge is not smart at all about business,  especially the ego driven business she is in.  It's kind of ridiculous. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, jrzy said:

It's gotten so predictable,  Midge stubbornly refuses to do herself any favors and hurts everyone around her just because.

Like all you have said,  all she had to do was step aside and give Sophie the spotlight,  that would have been the smart move, but Midge is not smart at all about business,  especially the ego driven business she is in.  It's kind of ridiculous. 

Yes, Midge's constant refusal to accept good money that she desperately needs is ridiculous, but it's consistent too (unlike Susie's gambling addiction).

• Love 5
(edited)
48 minutes ago, greekmom said:

That's what bothers me overall. It's the 12K. It was hush money over the fact that Shy is gay and Midge would have had to sign an NDA (and she wasn't going to talk anyways) Shy screwed her over on the tour. Midge is angry at that fact but not angry enough to take the money? Plus Susie takes 20% and sells the crap that Sophie was giving her, both women would have been tidied over for some time and Midge could have given up the titty bar and gone full time to Joel's while Susie worked on getting her more legit jobs. 

I don't think that it would have besmirched her name among her peers. It's the 60s. No one wanted to be outed as gay. Even the new team behind Shy got rid of his band and his best friend/manager so that there isn't any residue of the possible gay stench. 

While it's compelling to see Midge struggle some of these set backs are plot contrivance and unrealistic. I mean give the woman a win show for once! 

P.S. I hate the reporter. She is one major bitch.

Amy Sherman-Palladino is a genius creator but her shows never make any financial sense, particularly at the expense of what she or her husband consider a good visual gag.

At this point we will probably see Sophie gift Susie a Faberge Egg and Susie will say "What the fuck am I supposed to do with this ugly thing." and toss it to the side, all the while complaining about how broke they are.

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

Amy Sherman-Palladino is a genius creator but her shows never make any financial sense, particularly at the expense of what she or her husband consider a good visual gag.

Right?!?! One can NEVER explain how GG were able to afford to eat out for every single meal plus never gain a pound.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In today's or, perhaps, last year's money in the US, the $12K hush money would be at least $110K (Google inflation calculator). It would be enough to solve Midge's short-term cash flow issues, but perhaps besmirch her name among her peers?

The problem is that I think the show is trying to make me think that Midge is an extremely moral person because she is keeping Shy's secret for free and would 'never accept hush money".

To me, she is being extremely prideful and not even thinking about how that amount of money would make a huge difference in Susie's life,  not to mention hers. 

• Love 19
(edited)

We don't see Imogene

On 3/4/2022 at 4:58 AM, Aulty said:

Aren't Imogene and Archie still having problems? She probably doesn't want to go to the club because she's still angry with Archie for spending so much time there. Or maybe she isn't going because she has 3 kids and she's going to secretarial school. That wouldn't leave much time for clubbing. 

I hate how Abe (Rose, too) can't remember Imogene's name. It's not funny and makes them look like jerks. It reminds me of GG where Emily could never get Lane's name right. She referred to her as "Jane" or "Rory's Asian friend," as if her name wasn't worth bothering to remember. 

Edited by LadyRose
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Carolina Girl said:

I”m curious why L. Roy Dunham has such a hard-on for Midge and why the incredible need to kill her career.  

I thought L. Roy Dunham explained her motivation pretty well: Trashing Midge was a means to the end of getting her articles published and read. 
It was the 60s version of paparazzo attacks and social media trash talking.

Now will Midge convince L. Roy that it’s even better for her to go after Sophie?

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, txhorns79 said:
15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Kelly Bishop! Has Amy ever done a show without Kelly?

I vaguely recall ASP doing a short lived show with Parker Posey.  Perhaps that one? 

Yes! "The Return of Jezebel James". Thank you.

About the $12K Midge turns down and Susie's gifts from Sophie that she could turn into cash but doesn't..I don't think that's so contrived.

For Midge it's a matter of principle. She won't take money from Shy's people for keeping quiet when she already promised Shy personally (and sincerely apologized). She doesn't want to be bought like that. 

As for Susie, she feels that Susie's gifts come with way too many strings attached and she doesn't want to get entangled.

Yes, they need the money, and it seems foolish to turn it down...but in their minds the money isn't worth it in these situations. They think they can make it another way that doesn't compromise them.

• Love 7

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Mei's pregnancy. I doubt she'll have an abortion. It seems like TV shows these days avoid having characters have abortions. They may think about it, even go to the appointment, but change their minds. 

If she does have an abortion, well, she's a medical student and has connections in her community. She should be able to find a place to get a safe (but still illegal) abortion. Or even a legal one with a proper medical excuse.

Or...she'll have a convenient (for the plot) miscarriage before she and Joel tell anyone about the pregnancy. Or she and Joel will get married and have the child, and the whole situation will be treated heartwarmingly but unrealistically. Moishe and Shirley will be horrified for about 10 seconds, and then Shirley will gush about having yet another grandchild. Mei will find surprisingly convenient child care arrangements, much as Midge has.

I bet Mei and Joel argue for the next two episodes about telling their parents, and at the beginning of Season 5, we find out that Mei had a miscarriage between seasons. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, rose711 said:

I’m trying to think of anything comic this season. It’s all been bitter and childish.

100% agree.  I've been thinking the entire time that the truly funny was gone this season.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

I”m curious why L. Roy Dunham has such a hard-on for Midge and why the incredible need to kill her career.  

Plotwise, L.Roy Dunham seemed like a long side trip to nowhere.   It's nice they wrote a part for a trans actress (Hari Neff, who also played Rabbi Jen a.k.a. the trans rabbi in "And Just Like That") but it felt about as organic as the celebrities who used to open windows as Batman and Robin were bat-climbing up the side of a building.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, millennium said:

It's nice they wrote a part for a trans actress (Hari Neff, who also played Rabbi Jen a.k.a. the trans rabbi in "And Just Like That") but it felt about as organic as the celebrities who used to open windows as Batman and Robin were bat-climbing up the side of a building.

Agree. And LOL at the Batman reference!

• Love 2
On 3/4/2022 at 10:12 AM, qtpye said:

I don't want her to be Abe's little pet. He does not even bother to learn her name and no that is not funny.

And, of course, as usual - what the heck is he paying her with?

On 3/4/2022 at 10:20 PM, shapeshifter said:

Just 2 more episodes left?

Or...☹️...Mei will die of sepsis after having a back-alley abortion in Chicago.
Having a mixed-race child, having an abortion, and having a professional career as a woman were all issues really started coming to light in the 1960s, so it could go either way.

Well, if this were Call the Midwife, I think it would definitely go there.  😉

On 3/4/2022 at 11:33 PM, bybrandy said:

A single woman at that stage of her career would have a difficult time - especially since if she gets the residency, she'd be in Chicago - and not New York with Joel and her family to help out.

22 hours ago, jrzy said:

She and Sophie are not all that different, are they?

22 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

I was intrested that Midge gave her maiden name instead of her married name. Probably because she thought she could bushwack the reporter. I wondered if that little detail then would find itself into the newspaper and Rose's client would drop her. Causing of course, major drama (or would it be major Major Drama on this show).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was intrested that Midge gave her maiden name instead of her married name. Probably because she thought she could bushwack the reporter. I wondered if that little detail then would find itself into the newspaper and Rose's client would drop her. Causing of course, major drama (or would it be major Major Drama on this show).

I'm pretty sure that reporter already knew Midge's maiden name.  That was kind of the point.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, SnarkShark said:

I'm pretty sure that reporter already knew Midge's maiden name.  That was kind of the point.

Please explain. I don't get that point.

I made my assumption because a) She performs as Mrs. Maisel and the show made a point about how Rose wouldn't be embarrassed because people in the industry didn't know she was a Weissman and b) they highlighted the fact she was calling herself Wiessman.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

2 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I thought she gave her maiden name to get in the door to see the reporter. Otherwise, the reporter might have refused to see her.

33 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Please explain. I don't get that point.

I made my assumption because a) She performs as Mrs. Maisel and the show made a point about how Rose wouldn't be embarrassed because people in the industry didn't know she was a Weissman and b) they highlighted the fact she was calling herself Wiessman.

I think all of the above are possible and not necessarily mutually exclusive, and we may never know for sure which are true because, as @millennium explained in witty and elegant prose:

7 hours ago, millennium said:

Plotwise, L.Roy Dunham seemed like a long side trip to nowhere.   It's nice they wrote a part for a trans actress (Hari Neff, who also played Rabbi Jen a.k.a. the trans rabbi in "And Just Like That") but it felt about as organic as the celebrities who used to open windows as Batman and Robin were bat-climbing up the side of a building.

But it is definitely possible that L. Roy did not yet know Midge's maiden name was Weissman since L. Roy had not written about her family,
but, then again,
we don't know who spilled the beans to the Small Business Women's Council. 

Anyway, I kind of loved this bit of comedy, because I could imagine my very petite sister saying it just like that to her daughter:

• [ROSE] Miriam, guess what. I have been invited to the Small Business Women's Council annual luncheon in Brighton Beach.
  • [MIDGE] Really? 
  • [ROSE] That's right. Your mother's now officially known as a small businesswoman. No, wait. A small women's business. No, I'm the owner of a business, and it's small, and I'm a woman, so... Well, I'm getting a free lunch.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

On 3/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, Carolina Girl said:

She makes good copy. It's a shame. If L. Roy Dunham and Midge met under different circumstances, they could probably be friends. They would bond over what it's like to be a woman in a male dominated business, and all the jerks and horrible things they have to put up with to be in the industry of thier choice. 

21 hours ago, LadyRose said:

If she does have an abortion, well, she's a medical student and has connections in her community. She should be able to find a place to get a safe (but still illegal) abortion. Or even a legal one with a proper medical excuse.

My money's on illegal but safe abortion through her contacts as a medical student. The series is on Amazon Prime so they don't have to worry about sponsors/advertising dollars. 

Lenny Bruce wants to compartmentalize. He doesn't want to think of Midge as a mother with children and domestic responsibilities. He wants to see her as a bold comedian unafraid to say what's on her mind. He can't hold both images of her in his mind at the same time. I thought the problem was going to be his concern for her reptuation, and what will people say if they saw him leaving her apartment, but I was wrong. 

I dissapointed with how they used Kelly Bishop. She's awesome and this just seemed like a waste.

Town and Country was a real WASP establishment magazine/publication. There is no way it would be featuring a Jewish family. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 2

Why are so many of the women in this show self-destructive? 

Why do none of these shows even pretend adoption exists? 

I would ask why I'm still watching, but: The cars alone... 

• Love 1