Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 2/28/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Yesterday Whoopi said The Ukraine.

It is disrespectful since no other country is called "The."

No. For about half of Whoopi's life (I'm not doing the math), that is what it was called in English. The English-language naming convention changed in 1991.

Making a mistake isn't automatically disrespect. If someone corrected her, and she were she to say, "I don't care. I'm calling it what I want, no matter what they think," that would be disrespect.

9 hours ago, Blissfool said:

How about the United States or the Netherlands?

I dont think they were being disrespectful either. However, i guess if Ukrainians find it disrespectful, the cohosts should school themselves. 

BTW, Google says that Ukraine translates to "the borderland." That's why "the" is added to the name by many.

See also the United Kingdom, the Bahamas, the Gambia.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
On 2/28/2022 at 11:20 AM, Bronzedog said:

I’ve always thought that Sunny doesn’t like when there’s another attorney on the panel.  She’s frequently very snippy with Ana, as she is today.

Maybe….as an attorney, I can say that we often think we’re the smartest person in the room.  Lol. At least, I’ve heard that for years and I tend to agree, if I’m honest.  It’s odd.  

I was thrilled to see Bob Odenkirk today!   I love this guy. Can’t wait for finale season of Better Call Saul!  And, he plays a lawyer. Lol

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe….as an attorney, I can say that we often think we’re the smartest person in the room.  Lol. At least, I’ve heard that for years and I tend to agree, if I’m honest.  It’s odd.  

I was thrilled to see Bob Odenkirk today!   I love this guy. Can’t wait for finale season of Better Call Saul!  And, he plays a lawyer. Lol

lol! I've been impressed by the smarts of many attorneys, but have you ever met one and thought you're an attorney? I guess there are always exceptions!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

lol! I've been impressed by the smarts of many attorneys, but have you ever met one and thought you're an attorney? I guess there are always exceptions!

We come in many forms.  I don’t know many who are modest and humble. Lol There are a few in the entertainment industry that I sometimes forget about being an attorney……Star Jones?  Wasn’t she an attorney?  Maybe, she’s  not a good example.  How long since she’s been on the show?

• Love 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

We come in many forms.  I don’t know many who are modest and humble. Lol There are a few in the entertainment industry that I sometimes forget about being an attorney……Star Jones?  Wasn’t she an attorney?  Maybe, she’s  not a good example.  How long since she’s been on the show?

Star was constantly reminding us that she was a lawyer that SNL made fun of her for being braggadocious..

Edited by Pearson80
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

He was on Howard Stern yesterday talking with him for 2 hours. Well worth a listen if you like Bob. Stuff you will never hear on a normal tv interview due to the time & other constraints.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Nice of Whoopi to change Sara's point. At least let the woman say what she wants to say without the "subtle" correction.

Sara: "You're going to see it most likely flip..."

Whoopi: "Maybe"

Sara: "Maybe"

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Its not fun to watch this panel. Everyone seems to have their hackles up. I don’t know why the producers thought having Tafoya back was a good idea. It’s such an uncomfortable, disharmonious vibe. And it’s not just that she disagrees with the regulars, her tone is confrontational and the others are getting equally puffed up. 

I don't like her one bit. And I find her voice grating.

• Love 11
(edited)

Most of what Tafoya said was garbage.  She can proclaim to be an Independent all she wants but her speaking at CPAC tells us the truth. As annoying as Meghan was with her "as a conservative" at least she was being honest.

Like Joy I did great in Language Arts but struggled with Math.  The only class I ever failed was a semester of geometry.  I agree with Sunny.  Learning is more important than grades.

Tafoya is stealth.  The topic is grades and she badmouthes unions.  Yay for Joy for pushing back.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
On 2/28/2022 at 12:06 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

There have been a lot of words over the years I've mispronounced or where I've not been certain of their pronunciation even though I know what they mean from having seen them in books (a lot of words you pick up the meaning from via context clues in a book rather than hearing them spoken about or defined in a classroom).

As a kid, I ran across "bedraggled" in a book and in my mind pronounced it "bed raggled." Considering the context of whatever I was reading, I thought it meant "looking as though you just got out of bed." When I read it today, I have to fight not to say bed raggled.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

The interview was fun. As for Tafoya, she seemed to be trying harder this time around to me, whatever that foretells; at least she seemed much worse last time around. I wouldn't put it beyond Teta to cast her, she does seem a lot like Jedidiah, after all. She was blatantly false on two particular points today (well, her two worst examples anyway)--when she claimed to be in the middle rather than on a particular side and when she claimed education had received too much funding. I agree with whoever cheered on Sunny for challenging that first one, no way is this woman in the middle.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agree with whoever cheered on Sunny for challenging that first one, no way is this woman in the middle.

If she was hired Sunny and most likely Joy would be challenging her every day. She doesn't seem like she is there to make friends.  Not saying  you have to become besties but if you are going to be sitting at a table with people five days a week you might want to at least be friendly. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The interview was fun. As for Tafoya, she seemed to be trying harder this time around to me, whatever that foretells; at least she seemed much worse last time around. I wouldn't put it beyond Teta to cast her, she does seem a lot like Jedidiah, after all. She was blatantly false on two particular points today (well, her two worst examples anyway)--when she claimed to be in the middle rather than on a particular side and when she claimed education had received too much funding. I agree with whoever cheered on Sunny for challenging that first one, no way is this woman in the middle.

Who does this woman think she's fooling with all that "both sides"? Tafoya is also 57. If they want to fill that conservative seat, why not hire a Millennial? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Who does this woman think she's fooling with all that "both sides"? Tafoya is also 57. If they want to fill that conservative seat, why not hire a Millennial? 

Honestly I think they are doing a bait and switch.  Having her on and IMO be awful then hire someone else that doesn't seem as bad as her.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1

I'm thinking the proverbial well has run dry when it comes to the people who even want to join the show at this point.  The pool of quality candidates has to dry up at some point and I'm thinking we've pretty much reached that point.  It's comes down to picking the best of the worst.  And knowing this show as we do, what constitutes the best for us viewers is no doubt going to be the exact opposite of who the producers pick.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, General Days said:

Making a mistake isn't automatically disrespect. If someone corrected her, and she were she to say, "I don't care. I'm calling it what I want, no matter what they think," that would be disrespect.

This is where they need help from their producers. Simple correction; their job to remember to say it correctly. 

23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

22 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm a non-lawyer who used to work at a law firm. While I know many wonderful attorneys in my personal life, professionally my experiences were tainted by some awful people. I rarely meet someone, am impressed by their intelligence, and think they must be a lawyer. Rather, when I am condescended to, mansplained to (even by women), treated like I'm a dummy, and forced to engage in endless arguments over issues big and small, often I come to find out that I'm dealing with a person who is an attorney by trade or training. 

Most of the wonderful lawyers I know in my personal life are reluctant to brag about it. 

With that said, there are arrogant people in every walk of life. I used to work at a private school and was surrounded by people who were SURE they were the smartest person in every room they entered. 

14 hours ago, Sue in her 60s said:

As a kid, I ran across "bedraggled" in a book and in my mind pronounced it "bed raggled." Considering the context of whatever I was reading, I thought it meant "looking as though you just got out of bed." When I read it today, I have to fight not to say bed raggled.

Isn't that pretty much what it means? 

I don't know what they're trying to accomplish with bringing another "conservative" voice on. They have Ana (highly intelligent Republican who is alienated with the Trumpishness of the party) and Sara, who seems to be middle of the road. People who identify strongly with today's Republican party are not qualified to discuss issues on TV, because they are so likely to bring in misinformation.

IMO, they need people with journalism background, who approach issues analytically and factually. The tribal nature of political discourse is awful, and the way The View approaches it just feeds into that. People like Lisa Ling, who seem to approach issues on a case by case basis, are a rare find, apparently.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

I'm a non-lawyer who used to work at a law firm. While I know many wonderful attorneys in my personal life, professionally my experiences were tainted by some awful people. I rarely meet someone, am impressed by their intelligence, and think they must be a lawyer. Rather, when I am condescended to, mansplained to (even by women), treated like I'm a dummy, and forced to engage in endless arguments over issues big and small, often I come to find out that I'm dealing with a person who is an attorney by trade or training. 

Most of the wonderful lawyers I know in my personal life are reluctant to brag about it. 

With that said, there are arrogant people in every walk of life. I used to work at a private school and was surrounded by people who were SURE they were the smartest person in every room they entered. 

Not gonna lie, I've experienced this too. But like you, I've met arrogant people from all walks of life. 

I really appreciate the ability to speak well, which may be why attorneys can impress me. I can get anxious and don't always speak well even when I know I'm right. Debating just isn't my thing. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

IMO, they need people with journalism background, who approach issues analytically and factually. The tribal nature of political discourse is awful, and the way The View approaches it just feeds into that. People like Lisa Ling, who seem to approach issues on a case by case basis, are a rare find, apparently.

To quote Whoopi, Here's the thing.  I don't think Sara and Sunny were hired because of their political beliefs. And I know Joy and Whoopi weren't. So why does the fifth co host have to be someone who is checking a box for ABC?

• LOL 1
  • Love 19

This Michelle Tafoya person is a little full of herself, no?  

Plus, I'm honestly not knocking her looks, but are her veneers a little too big for her mouth?  

Really not a fan, and I don't think any of the other co-hosts are liking her too much, either.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

People who have to act like they are the smartest person in the room are usually not the smartest person in the room. I know that there are a lot of rooms I'm probably the smartest person but I don't try to show the other people that I think I am.  

3 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Debating just isn't my thing. 

I do like to debate people but it needs to be an even fight.  I'm not going to debate someone who isn't going to have facts to back up what they are saying.  Or someone who is just going to tell me I'm wrong. I have a coworker who I disagree on most everything and when we talk I will refute something he says and he will concede some points.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 3/2/2022 at 11:20 AM, bluegirl147 said:

To quote Whoopi, Here's the thing.  I don't think Sara and Sunny were hired because of their political beliefs. And I know Joy and Whoopi weren't. So why does the fifth co host have to be someone who is checking a box for ABC?

According to ABC's web site, "The View is a priority destination for celebrity and political guests with up-to-the-minute Hot Topics and invaluable conversations."    Aren't they also the most watched or most talked about show on television or so they keep telling us?  So they have to pick someone political because apparently they are there to educate us and keep us morons up-to-date politically with their invaluable conversations.  🙄🙄

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

People who have to act like they are the smartest person in the room are usually not the smartest person in the room. I know that there are a lot of rooms I'm probably the smartest person but I don't try to show the other people that I think I am.  

I do like to debate people but it needs to be an even fight.  I'm not going to debate someone who isn't going to have facts to back up what they are saying.  Or someone who is just going to tell me I'm wrong. I have a coworker who I disagree on most everything and when we talk I will refute something he says and he will concede some points.   

So true! It's always the dumbest people who are so sure they know everything.

Yeah, you're right. It just has to be worth it. If neither one of us learns anything, what exactly is the point? Just to argue? If someone is going to side with a certain party or person no matter what, it's not worth my energy. I'm open and love to learn, but the other person has to be open about the possibility of being wrong too. I actually really like listening to those with opposing views of various topics, so long as they come with facts and are polite. Those are the main qualities I look for if I want to debate anything. If you're very partisan or dishonest, I might as well be watching Real Housewives. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Cementhead said:

According to ABC's web site, "The View is a priority destination for celebrity and political guests with up-to-the-minute Hot Topics and invaluable conversations."  Aren't they also the most watched or most talked about show on television or so they keep telling us?  So they have to pick someone political because apparently they are there to educate us and keep us morons up-to-date politically with their invaluable conversations. 

Do I like that they talk about political things?  Sometimes if it's a good conversation.  Do I watch the View to have my opinion influenced? Absolutely not.  Hiring a conservative who is just going to spout what is being said on conservative outlets is not a good look for the View.

• Love 12
Just now, bluegirl147 said:

Do I like that they talk about political things?  Sometimes if it's a good conversation.  Do I watch the View to have my opinion influenced? Absolutely not.  Hiring a conservative who is just going to spout what is being said on conservative outlets is not a good look for the View.

Yep and let's get real.  What they really want is to stir up shit and get attention on social media.  Whic means picking a shit disturber.  "Invaluable conversations," my ass. 

• Love 8

Sara didn't say a word during the first segment on Biden's speech. Whoopi tells her she can talk when they get back from commercial.

I'm now convinced that they always have Sara talk last. It happens all the time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

For me it depends on what direction the show goes.

I did enjoy the old days of The View when it wasn't so political and more of a women's talk show to enjoy with a cup of coffee. I was a kid when the show started and wanted to feel like a grown-up and drink coffee and watch The View.

But even though I just said I don't love debating myself, I do enjoy watching a good debate. If The View is going to remain political, I'd say get both a conservative and a true progressive in there. The show is very political, and every single host backed the same candidate. Not the most riveting to watch them discuss politics. 

Bill Maher can annoy me, but I still watch his show sometimes because there simply aren't many shows you can watch people with opposing views discuss politics. 

Now if they were to get more into various life topics that concern women, I really don't care how they vote and whatnot. Let's hear from women of different ages, some with kids, some without kids, perhaps a single woman.  A vibe like Loose Women would be cool. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Chelsea Clinton is so poised and so smart. I feel proud of her, America’s First Daughter. 

Chelsea is a delight, she has such a nice, calm way of speaking, has a sense of humor, doesnt feel she needs to 'yell" or get annoyed at questions about her Mother.  

• Love 23

Yikes! Michelle Tafoya should be on Fox News. She is another person I would not watch. It has been a couple of weeks since I watched this show. I had wondered if they found a new co-host by now. There are definitely decent conservatives out there! Maybe I missed their try outs for the co-host job but the ones so far miss the mark by a wide margin.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I hope this is the last  week she is the guest host.  I find her approach more Foxesque and won't be watching if she  ends up with the seat.  I don't understand the criteria for filling MM's seat.  Ana is the only one that gives me Eisenhower Republican vibes as opposed to the current burn it all down GOP. 

• Love 14
34 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Chelsea is a delight, she has such a nice, calm way of speaking, has a sense of humor, doesnt feel she needs to 'yell" or get annoyed at questions about her Mother.  

She's a class act. 

• Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

That's true. This is also why I think they don't care if the person in that seat is awful because they expect (perhaps want) the audience to hate them. With any other co-host, they have to be popular with viewers and prove themselves a strong addition to the conversation to get a seat at the table. With that seat, they're just looking for a glorified shit-stirrer, it seems. That's why just about anyone could do that job, be it a Survivor contestant or a professional "daughter," they have little they need to prove unlike the other co-hosts.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Whoopi 

• Love 3

What's that hag Michelle Tafoya doing on the show? She started trying to defend the 2 lunatics heckling during the SOTU address last night until Sunny shut her down, then it became they were inappropriate. If you have a point of view stick with it, don't suddenly do a u-turn when challenged and pretend that you're independent, just admit you were wrong, it's okay to be wrong sometimes. 

• Love 13

Michelle was getting shut down left and right.  She needs to come better prepared if she really wants to make a case for this job.    I thought it was hilarious that she starts out fact checking the SOU speech by saying Biden lied when he said gun manufacturers can't be sued.   Sunny very quickly pointed out that out the case she mentioned happened very recently, was the first of it's kind, and there were some unique technical reasons why the case was even allowed to move forward.   Her only response, was that is was still a lie...     

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Michelle was getting shut down left and right.  She needs to come better prepared if she really wants to make a case for this job.    I thought it was hilarious that she starts out fact checking the SOU speech by saying Biden lied when he said gun manufacturers can't be sued.   Sunny very quickly pointed out that out the case she mentioned happened very recently, was the first of it's kind, and there were some unique technical reasons why the case was even allowed to move forward.   Her only response, was that is was still a lie...     

Michelle didn’t appreciate being fact checked.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

So true! It's always the dumbest people who are so sure they know everything.

One of my favorite sayings is "It's better to close your mouth and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it".  But that probably wouldn't go over big in a talk-show format.😃

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

Michelle was getting shut down left and right.  She needs to come better prepared if she really wants to make a case for this job.  I thought it was hilarious that she starts out fact checking the SOU speech by saying Biden lied when he said gun manufacturers can't be sued.   Sunny very quickly pointed out that out the case she mentioned happened very recently, was the first of it's kind, and there were some unique technical reasons why the case was even allowed to move forward.   Her only response, was that is was still a lie...

Tafoya blatantly lying about that really made me angry. I am disgusted. 

Sandy Hook parents had to sue Remington regarding their advertising, with a Connecticut state law, due to the bullshit Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/sandy-hook-families-settle-remington-marking-1st-time/story?id=82881639

The families argued Remington negligently entrusted to civilian consumers an assault-style rifle that is suitable for use only by military and law enforcement personnel and violated the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act through the sale or wrongful marketing of the rifle.

Remington, which filed for bankruptcy protection in July 2020, had argued all of the plaintiffs' legal theories were barred under Connecticut law and by a federal statute -- the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act -- which, with limited exceptions, immunizes firearms manufacturers, distributors and dealers from civil liability for crimes committed by third parties using their weapons.

• Love 13
(edited)

On 3/1/2022 at 11:14 AM, gatopretoNYC said:
On 3/1/2022 at 5:24 AM, Haleth said:

Its not fun to watch this panel. Everyone seems to have their hackles up. I don’t know why the producers thought having Tafoya back was a good idea. It’s such an uncomfortable, disharmonious vibe. And it’s not just that she disagrees with the regulars, her tone is confrontational and the others are getting equally puffed up. 

I don't like her one bit. And I find her voice grating.

One thing WORSE is about her voice is her personality.   That's just ONE THING!

1 hour ago, gatopretoNYC said:

Tafoya blatantly lying about that really made me angry. I am disgusted. 

WHO hires her...even for a day (let alone a week)?   

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Michelle didn’t appreciate being fact checked.

WE didn't appreciate being Michelle slurry bombed!

3 hours ago, After7Only said:

Michelle was getting shut down left and right.  She needs to come better prepared if she really wants to make a case for this job. 

She can't control herself...she'll never be prepared enough to play well with others.

5 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

What's that hag Michelle Tafoya doing on the show?

Best line of the day, Welshman!!

6 hours ago, Mldyold said:

I hope this is the last  week she is the guest host. 

Please, Those in Charge!  You obviously want her to be on television.  Please use your connections to get her a job on a news channel.  She's such a know-it-all...she'll be the female Tucker Carlson in no time.   We're putting in MORE than enough effort dealing with WHOOPI...leave us at least a little peace.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 3

I wish they would have gone with Jane Coaston. She came across as intelligent, well-informed and calm. Plus, she's 34, 10 years younger than the current youngest host on the panel - Sara, so she's a Millennial. Why do ABC and the show's producers assume the majority of the public wants another shrieking banshee as fifth chair after they finally got rid of the obnoxious blond?

• Love 9

Even if you’re not a fan of Bill and Hillary Clinton, I think all you have to do is watch and listen to Chelsea Clinton to see they did something right.

• Love 24