Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 2/28/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Feb. 28 – Patrick Stewart (“Star Trek: Picard”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, March 1 – Michele Tafoya guest co-hosts; Bob Odenkirk (author, “Comedy Comedy Comedy Drama: A Memoir”)

Wednesday, March 2 – Michele Tafoya guest co-hosts; Chelsea Clinton (author, “She Persisted in Science”)

Thursday, March 3 – Amy Poehler (director, “Lucy and Desi”)

Friday, March 4 - Day of Hot Topics

I thought it was good for Sunny to bring up the topic of the African students studying in Ukraine and have reported they’re unable to leave. I saw many of those tweets this weekend, but I wasn’t sure it was misinformation from a troll farm or not. Ana was shutting her down, but Sunny was standing firm. Whoopi actually did a good job of breaking it up and having them move on. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

One minute they are talking about how dumb “you know who” sounds when he talks. and in the next minute, Whoopi says something about someone “pooping all over their country” . Its hard to  🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, 2JEWELL said:

One minute they are talking about how dumb “you know who” sounds when he talks. and in the next minute, Whoopi says something about someone “pooping all over their country” . Its hard to  🙄

Talk about limited vocabulary. Oh, speaking of Whoopi-speak, I heard a respected journalist pronounce hyperbole “hyper bowl” yesterday. 🙄

The courage of the Ukrainian pres and people is inspiring.

I’m looking forward to seeing Whoopi on Picard.

• LOL 1

I thought Ana was the one who was a little rude to Sunny, tbh. I’m glad Sunny didn’t back down. I didn’t get the purpose of her trying to pretend like what Sunny was saying wasn’t the reality. It exposes how the weakest in the social framework always end up the most harmed in a crisis.

There are many moments I disagree with Ana though (and probably many more in future)—like her comparison between the Afghanistan leader versus the Ukrainian president, for example—but I still like her. She had several of the highlights today, saying guests should prop their foot on the View table since it portends award success, lol. That and how she only interacts with other people when paid to do so.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Oh, speaking of Whoopi-speak, I heard a respected journalist pronounce hyperbole “hyper bowl”

I pronounce it my head this way always now because of Whoopi.  I recently read that mispronouncing words is often the sign of a voracious reader. They will use words they have not heard pronounced but know the meaning to. I thought this made a lot of sense.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Talk about limited vocabulary. Oh, speaking of Whoopi-speak, I heard a respected journalist pronounce hyperbole “hyper bowl” yesterday. 🙄

I had a childhood friend who always purposely pronounced capacity- cap a city.

To this day I always have to think how to pronounce it before I say it.

• LOL 6
18 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I pronounce it my head this way always now because of Whoopi.  I recently read that mispronouncing words is often the sign of a voracious reader. They will use words they have not heard pronounced but know the meaning to. I thought this made a lot of sense.

There are plenty of words I will use when I type but won't use in real life because I don't know how to pronounce them.  Such as schadenfreude which I sometimes feel when hearing about former cohosts.

51 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I heard a respected journalist pronounce hyperbole “hyper bowl” yesterday. 🙄

If they are respected I might respect them a little less after hearing them mispronounce that word.

26 minutes ago, geekburger said:

When Whoopi says “Here’s the thing!” I know it’s probably not going to be the thing or even address the thing.

It is never the thing. Not even in the same ballpark as the thing.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

There are plenty of words I will use when I type but won't use in real life because I don't know how to pronounce them.  Such as schadenfreude which I sometimes feel when hearing about former cohosts

What @GiveMeSpace said definitely makes sense. There have been a lot of words over the years I've mispronounced or where I've not been certain of their pronunciation even though I know what they mean from having seen them in books (a lot of words you pick up the meaning from via context clues in a book rather than hearing them spoken about or defined in a classroom). That said, hyperbole seems like such a basic word not to know.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

There are plenty of words I will use when I type but won't use in real life because I don't know how to pronounce them.  Such as schadenfreude which I sometimes feel when hearing about former cohosts.

Everyone does that. I didn't even know how to pronounce Yosemite until I was in my 40s and lived in the USA, everyone thought it was hysterical but it's exactly the same as most people trying to pronounce most Welsh place names.

It's nothing to be embarrassed about nor is it funny to point fingers at people just because they don't know how to "correctly" pronounce something that the pointer may know..

• Love 7
Just now, Welshman in Ca said:

it's nothing to be embarrassed about nor is it funny to point fingers at people just because they don't know how to "correctly" pronounce something that the pointer may know..

But why doesn't someone tell them? Especially if they are on TV.  If someone continues to mispronounce a word it doesn't make them look good.   Was it Meghan who said hyper bowl?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

What @GiveMeSpace said definitely makes sense. There have been a lot of words over the years I've mispronounced or where I've not been certain of their pronunciation even though I know what they mean from having seen them in books (a lot of words you pick up the meaning from via context clues in a book rather than hearing them spoken about or defined in a classroom). That said, hyperbole seems like such a basic word not to know.

It may be a basic word to you but not to the person stood next to you. I had only ever seen it in print until a couple of years ago and had no idea how to pronounce it until I was way past 50 years old.

1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

But why doesn't someone tell them? Especially if they are on TV.  If someone continues to mispronounce a word it doesn't make them look good.   Was it Meghan who said hyper bowl?

Well that's a different matter, I would much rather someone told me than have people laugh at me behind my back. My wife's family now say Yo's might because that's how I pronounced it years ago and we all have a good laugh at it & me.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It may be a basic word to you but not to the person stood next to you.

Right, it's all relative.  I am a voracious reader, I was familiar with the word awry long before I heard it said out loud.  I had always thought it was pronounced awe-ree!  Thank goodness someone corrected me.  I always hope if I happen to mispronounce something that someone will kindly correct me.  A co-worker was looking over a menu and asked me my choice of entry (meaning entree), I kindly took  her aside and let her know the correct pronunciation.  She was very grateful, we had a laugh, and to this day she still asks me what entry I would like..

But that being said, I'm not a journalist or a talk show moderator.  There should be a higher standard.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

But that being said, I'm not a journalist or a talk show moderator.  There should be a higher standard.

I agree with you all that if you make fun of someone for mispronouncing a word you're a jerk, but I see this point too. I feel the same way about speech. I don't always speak well when I'm anxious, but if you're literally paid to talk, I feel like you can do better than uh, um, every other word. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I’ve always thought that Sunny doesn’t like when there’s another attorney on the panel.  She’s frequently very snippy with Ana, as she is today.

I agree. Sunny wants to be the smartest person at the table. I truly think that is why she wasn't there the last time Star was on.

Sunny would  love four other Sara types at the table that won't try to challenge her.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I always hope if I happen to mispronounce something that someone will kindly correct me. 

I have a former FB friend who would always misspell literally. She would spell it litterly.  I mean every single time.  With spellcheck mostly automatic I assumed she thought that was the correct way to spell it and after awhile spellcheck assumed that is how she meant to spell it. I more than once would comment using the correct spelling and she either didn't notice or thought I was spelling it wrong.  

19 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

You would hope but standards seem to be lowered every day.

7 minutes ago, Rightside said:

I agree. Sunny wants to be the smartest person at the table. I truly think that is why she wasn't there the last time Star was on.

Sunny would  love four other Sara types at the table that won't try to challenge her.

I agree with you.  Ideally I think Sunny would like to be the person everyone looks to for the correct answer/opinion.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I heard a respected journalist pronounce hyperbole “hyper bowl” yesterday. 🙄

I wonder if this is something that happens when people read from a teleprompter without reviewing the text beforehand. If you are trying to read scrolling text that may have unexpected line breaks, it can be hard to stay ahead enough to realize what the actual word is before you read it aloud. 

I expect that someone who is a journalist should have read and spoken the word hyperbole before now, though. It isn't such an unusual word or a word from another language that may use different pronunciation, like schadenfreude, for example.

5 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I wonder if this is something that happens when people read from a teleprompter without reviewing the text beforehand. If you are trying to read scrolling text that may have unexpected line breaks, it can be hard to stay ahead enough to realize what the actual word is before you read it aloud. 

I expect that someone who is a journalist should have read and spoken the word hyperbole before now, though. It isn't such an unusual word or a word from another language that may use different pronunciation, like schadenfreude, for example.

Was her name MM?  Oh wait, you said respected.  My bad

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That doesn't explain he asskissing of Whoopi, who more often than not, dismisses her.

Yeah, I get second hand embarrassment every time Sunny makes a fawning remark to Whoopi. She seems so desperate for approval. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
42 minutes ago, Rightside said:

I think Sunny looks at Ana as the "part time" co-host and treats her as less than equal, like she does the guest co-hosts. Sunny only likes people on the panel that won't cause to her lose her feeling of superiority.

Really? You do know that Sunny and Ana are close friends off the show and have known each other for years going back to Sunny's days on CNN.  The ladies travel together and everything.  Sunny is also close with Joy and many other ladies who used to co-host on the view.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

3 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Really? You do know that Sunny and Ana are close friends off the show and have known each other for years going back to Sunny's days on CNN.  The ladies travel together and everything.  Sunny is also close with Joy and many other ladies who used to co-host on the view.

Right.   Sunny and Ana are friends outside the show.  The type of friends where you can strongly disagree with and  know they won't take it personal.    Both of them enjoy a good debate.   I just think that in the MM years, Sunny chose to not be directly confrontational with MM in order to keep her job.    She's apparently feeling more secure and letting her opinions out more.     

43 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That doesn't explain he asskissing of Whoopi, who more often than not, dismisses her.

People say this a lot, but I don't see Whoopi being any more dismissive of Sunny than she is to anyone else.    That would mean she's being respectful too all the other panelists 🙂.  She awkwardly cuts them off or interjects her opinions to all equally (with the current panel)

Whoopi is a legend to many (particularly in the Black community).   What some see as asskissing is Sunny being respectful to a person she likely considers a legend.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Right.   Sunny and Ana are friends outside the show.  The type of friends where you can strongly disagree with and  know they won't take it personal.    Both of them enjoy a good debate.   I just think that in the MM years, Sunny chose to not be directly confrontational with MM in order to keep her job.    She's apparently feeling more secure and letting her opinions out more.     

People say this a lot, but I don't see Whoopi being any more dismissive of Sunny than she is to anyone else.    That would mean she's being respectful too all the other panelists 🙂.  She awkwardly cuts them off or interjects her opinions to all equally (with the current panel)

Whoopi is a legend to many (particularly in the Black community).   What some see as asskissing is Sunny being respectful to a person she likely considers a legend.  

Sunny has always been forceful with her opinions and she pushes back hard.  She was like this when she first got on the view, she and Jedidiah used to have some arguments but they were able to leave it at the table and were close friends off the show.  Sunny went to her wedding and everything.. Like you said, Sunny suppressed herself during the Megan years for job security.

Whoopie is an icon in the Black community and Sunny being Black herself is showing deference towards Whoopie. It is not ass-kissing in my opinion and even though she may not always challenge Whoopie when she makes her asinine pronouncements. I understand why Sunny  chooses not to do that.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Wait...it couldn't have been MM, the post said it was from "a respected journalist'!  That would exclude MM!

t

• Love 1
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

At the table, Sunny believes she is the smartest one and must be in charge.

• Love 3

There was some rumblings a while ago that Sunny was purposefully trying to challenge Ana’s Views to show the producers she was the best fit for the fifth seat. TBTB felt Ana agreed too much with the other panelists, so this tactic would show that they can make sparks while still being civil and intellectual about it.

• Useful 8
  • Love 2

Memo to Sunny: stop referring to Ukraine as “the Ukraine.” She did that at least twice today. Someone on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday said that term was dispensed with years ago because it’s considered to be patronizing and dismissive, as if Ukraine isn’t a full fledged independent nation. As if it’s part of something else which it most certainly isn’t.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Everyone does that. I didn't even know how to pronounce Yosemite until I was in my 40s and lived in the USA, everyone thought it was hysterical but it's exactly the same as most people trying to pronounce most Welsh place names.

It's nothing to be embarrassed about nor is it funny to point fingers at people just because they don't know how to "correctly" pronounce something that the pointer may know..

Don’t worry, our former president who has lived here his entire life and a self proclaimed “genius” didn’t know how to pronounce Yosemite either. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

Since Russia's invasion of Ukraine, I have been even more grateful that Meghan McCain is no longer on The View. That said...

On 2/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, falltime said:

Tuesday, March 1 – Michele Tafoya guest co-hosts; Bob Odenkirk (author, “Comedy Comedy Comedy Drama: A Memoir”)

Wednesday, March 2 – Michele Tafoya guest co-hosts; Chelsea Clinton (author, “She Persisted in Science”)

I've skipped the show A LOT, while they've tried out these terrible hosts like Tafoya, and Alyssa Farah.

I was looking forward to this season, with MM gone, but these people absolutely suck too, even if they're less shriek-y about it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

Yesterday Whoopi said The Ukraine.

It is disrespectful since no other country is called "The."

How about the United States or the Netherlands?

I dont think they were being disrespectful either. However, i guess if Ukrainians find it disrespectful, the cohosts should school themselves. 

BTW, Google says that Ukraine translates to "the borderland." That's why "the" is added to the name by many.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, After7Only said:

Sunny and Ana are friends outside the show.  The type of friends where you can strongly disagree with and  know they won't take it personal.    Both of them enjoy a good debate.   I just think that in the MM years, Sunny chose to not be directly confrontational with MM in order to keep her job.    She's apparently feeling more secure and letting her opinions out more.     

And they all love one another outside of the show. Haven't we heard this ad nauseum from BW for the last 25 years? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Texas. 1984. I was in 6th grade, reading in front of the class. I mispronounced "Chile." I rhymed it with mile. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Aww, you were a kid!  Don't beat yourself up about it.

Its not fun to watch this panel. Everyone seems to have their hackles up. I don’t know why the producers thought having Tafoya back was a good idea. It’s such an uncomfortable, disharmonious vibe. And it’s not just that she disagrees with the regulars, her tone is confrontational and the others are getting equally puffed up. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 7

What the hell was Whoopie saying? she derailed the conversation with her ramblings.

Tafoya is annoying with her both sides.. I loved Sunny challenging her when she said that she was an independent..

• Useful 1
  • Love 5