Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: The ATX-Files

jewel21
  • Start Topic

In an attempt to bond with Wyatt, Owen and Judd take the teen alien hunting, but their search takes a different turn when they find two dead bodies. Meanwhile, Tommy joins a grief group for widowers, as mysterious events around her house lead her to believe Charles is communicating from the beyond with her and the twins. Then, a woman fears she is cursed and takes drastic measures to cure herself.

Airdate: 02/14/2022

They were still a bit ambiguous, with the candles relighting and the medium calling Tommy aside to mention someone was trying to get in contact with her. At any rate, I think voicing her feelings to Chris is a good thing, whether or not anyone is really listening.

Judd might not be putting Owen on quite as tall a pedestal after discovering he's a UFO nut.

I do wonder why it wouldn't occur to Judd or Grace that the former still could have taken Wyatt hunting and just not shot any game they came across, or out on a lake or river without fishing. Killing and eating something isn't necessary for parent/child bonding out in the beauty of nature.

How the hell could you have enormous LIVE worms squirming around in your lungs/bronchial tubes and not know there was something gravely wrong with you physically? Not to mention enough fluid that just standing up should have been a herculean effort?

• Love 5
9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I don't know why Wyatt or his mother didn't inform Judd and Grace of any allergies/dietary issues Wyatt had since he was going to be spending the weekend with them? So strange. 

Because then we can't have the obligatory "Oh this lavish meal? Of traditional smoked meats? I can't eat it, as I am vegan" scene. Because even though the majority of vegans I know are very upfront about the veganism and will even offer to bring dishes or guidance on how to make something vegan if I invite them for a meal, on tv the vegan character always waits until the brisket and mac and cheese (and its almost always a giant slab of meat and a side doused in meat products) to mention that they are vegan. 

I appreciate that Judd didn't immediately assume Wyatt was gay and was somewhat ok with the idea that he might be gay.

While I get the gripe about not seeing the station stated above, we did have some fun medical emergencies and I liked the more humorous, lighter tone... even though those two people coating themselves in radioactive blue paint likely died horribly. The call back to the guy who locked himself in the gun safe was funny.  So were the worms. 

Not sure how I feel about the ghost plot.

• Love 5

I hate to sound dense but can anyone explain to me the final scene with Tommy and not-Charles at that beautiful table and the cat meowing … I inferred maybe cat senses ghost. Or maybe we’d see a little less wine in the glass. 

BTW, she is playing the hell out of that role. I got teary when she “spoke” to him. I hope it helped her start to heal. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I hate to sound dense but can anyone explain to me the final scene with Tommy and not-Charles at that beautiful table and the cat meowing … I inferred maybe cat senses ghost. Or maybe we’d see a little less wine in the glass. 

She'd blown out the candles when she left the table but when she came back, the candles were lit. My assumption is that the ghost lit them

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

BTW, she is playing the hell out of that role. I got teary when she “spoke” to him. I hope it helped her start to heal. 

But why did she cook three steaks, and were those the joke candles that keep re-lighting after they are blown out??

I'm not a ghost believer so that entire scenario was moot for me.

• Love 2

I guess technically T-bones include tenderloins. Maybe she discards the NY strip part when she buys them?

Tommy must have a VERY well trained cat if she's willing to leave a premium steak unattended on the table in front of it while she walks into another room.

• Love 1

I couldn't bear to watch much of this episode between the worms in the nose and the people rubbing that blue powder all over themselves, I just had to keep averting my eyes. Watching those people poison themselves wasn't funny at all for me.

So now Owen is an alien hunter? Fine. Whatever.

The guy at the beginning driving off without his girlfriend was funny. I hope she never takes him back after that.

• Love 3

The cold open was fun.  What a terrible boyfriend.  The Birthday party/credit card company montage was also fun.

I think Wyatt is as cute as a button.  I hope he is the real deal.  I am liking the dynamic.  And the awkward growing pains with him and Judd feel authentic.  Also, this is Texas.  Poor Judd it never occurred to him his kid was a vegan. 

Marjan, Paul, TK and Carlos had major storylines in the snow storm arc.  Judd and Grace and Tommy are getting some love in the post snow eps.  Now we just need Nancy to get some face time.  I don't mention Owen, because, well, Owen is everywhere all the time, up in everybody's business.  If anything it would be nice to cut back from Owen sometimes.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Because then we can't have the obligatory "Oh this lavish meal? Of traditional smoked meats? I can't eat it, as I am vegan" scene. Because even though the majority of vegans I know are very upfront about the veganism and will even offer to bring dishes or guidance on how to make something vegan if I invite them for a meal, on tv the vegan character always waits until the brisket and mac and cheese (and its almost always a giant slab of meat and a side doused in meat products) to mention that they are vegan. 

He said he'd be fine eating the cornbread and salad; however, I've never seen a cornbread recipe that didn't include eggs and milk. Maybe he isn't as hard core as most vegans.

• Love 8

I like that this show is respectful of other religions besides Grace's. You can believe or not believe in what the priestess was doing with the candles and the talk of curses, but you can also believe or not in the praying Grace was doing at the call center (or in other situations). I like that the show doesn't privilege one notion over the other, or try to erase the different attitudes various characters have about this kind of thing. Marjan wasn't a major part of this episode, but the way they treat her is also along these lines. 

Tommy's cat is awesome. 

• Love 13
41 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

He said he'd be fine eating the cornbread and salad; however, I've never seen a cornbread recipe that didn't include eggs and milk. Maybe he isn't as hard core as most vegans.

More likely the writers didn't know enough (or care enough) to differentiate between vegan and vegetarian.

6 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Tommy must have a VERY well trained cat if she's willing to leave a premium steak unattended on the table in front of it while she walks into another room.

11 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Tommy's cat is awesome. 

I should preface this with saying this is only my fourth episode and the ones I have seen weren't in order, so I really don't know much about the characters. I have no idea who Charles was/is.

My take on it is: Charles is now living in the cat. The cat "couldn't take care of one mouse" because he wanted the mouse to chew the wires in the right way to send the signal. If the cat had decided to eat the steak, it would be okay because it had been prepared for him/her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I like that this show is respectful of other religions besides Grace's. You can believe or not believe in what the priestess was doing with the candles and the talk of curses, but you can also believe or not in the praying Grace was doing at the call center (or in other situations). I like that the show doesn't privilege one notion over the other, or try to erase the different attitudes various characters have about this kind of thing. Marjan wasn't a major part of this episode, but the way they treat her is also along these lines. 

Alien Hunter could probably be considered to be a religion, too.

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I should preface this with saying this is only my fourth episode and the ones I have seen weren't in order, so I really don't know much about the characters. I have no idea who Charles was/is.
My take on it is: Charles is now living in the cat. The cat "couldn't take care of one mouse" because he wanted the mouse to chew the wires in the right way to send the signal. If the cat had decided to eat the steak, it would be okay because it had been prepared for him/her. 

Although I doubt those of us who have watched all or most of the series would arrive at that conclusion, it sounds valid to me.

5 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

. . . or the writers don't know how to make cornbread.

I mean, if you look at bread or corn bread, as a finished product, why WOULD you think "oh thats made with eggs!"?

I only know eggs are used in baking because I wouldn't eat breakfast eggs as a child (taste, texture issues) and my exasperated mother decided to show me how cakes and cookies and bread all had eggs in them. After I refused to eat anything, she eventually lied and "took back" what she'd said and done with dough examples... Color me shocked the first time I saw someone make pasta from scratch on Master Chef.

4 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Charles was Tommy's husband. They were a good couple and then he died unexpectedly of a stroke. She found the body. 

4 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Charles was Tommy's husband. They were a good couple and then he died unexpectedly of a stroke. She found the body. 

Was the cat in close proximity at the time? Was Charles the type who would resist moving to the Great Beyond and stick around to inhabit a cat?

Just now, eel21788 said:

Was the cat in close proximity at the time? Was Charles the type who would resist moving to the Great Beyond and stick around to inhabit a cat?

I honestly don't know if they had the cat at the time. Charles was a devoted husband and dad so I could see him ghosting about. He did die in the house.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I honestly don't know if they had the cat at the time. Charles was a devoted husband and dad so I could see him ghosting about. He did die in the house.

My uncle spent 5 months in a coma before he died. The afternoon he passed, my aunt came home from the hospital to find a cat she had never seen before curled up on her front porch. He stayed three weeks, then moved on. My aunt was convinced it was my uncle, and he had done "what he needed to do."

• Love 5

My theory is that the cat can see Charles, more than that the cat is Charles. But I accept that multiple theories are valid. I have had cats who stayed off the table, so that colors my viewpoint. 

I miss Charles as a character. I wish they hadn't killed him off. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Marjan, Paul, TK and Carlos had major storylines in the snow storm arc.  Judd and Grace and Tommy are getting some love in the post snow eps.  Now we just need Nancy to get some face time.  I don't mention Owen, because, well, Owen is everywhere all the time, up in everybody's business.  If anything it would be nice to cut back from Owen sometimes.

ITA with this ↑

Edited by preeya
  • Love 5

I said in a previous thread that 9-1-1: Lone Star is about stupid people doing stupid things and sometimes dying stupid deaths. This episode fulfilled the requirement. Nobody deserves to die of radiation exposure, but those people were SPECTACULARLY stupid.

• Love 11

I knew the boyfriend was about to abandon his girlfriend, no surprise there.

Judd assuming his son would want to go deer hunting and fishing. I guess they didn't give him enough "ain't"s to drop; let's go with the huntin' and fishin', too. And why would a vegan accept a dinner invitation and not state that he's a vegan? As a host, I would've cleared the menu with my guest if I didn't know the guest very well.

Among other things, now Owen's an alien nut. 🙄

The radioactivity story....

Of course Vega was going to get a "sign". I would've had more respect for the show if they'd just have her close up the kitchen and go to bed. 

What a dumb episode. It didn't even seem like it was targeting an adult audience.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, mojito said:

I knew the boyfriend was about to abandon his girlfriend, no surprise there.

Judd assuming his son would want to go deer hunting and fishing. I guess they didn't give him enough "ain't"s to drop; let's go with the huntin' and fishin', too. And why would a vegan accept a dinner invitation and not state that he's a vegan? As a host, I would've cleared the menu with my guest if I didn't know the guest very well.

Among other things, now Owen's an alien nut. 🙄

The radioactivity story....

Of course Vega was going to get a "sign". I would've had more respect for the show if they'd just have her close up the kitchen and go to bed. 

What a dumb episode. It didn't even seem like it was targeting an adult audience.

But after the laborious storm sequence, although trite, it filled a time-slot.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 2

Most intelligent people have a side area or interest that's a little off the norm so being an alien nut isn't that big of a deal.

TV is full of 30 minute story lines that in the real world would never happen because of a simple phone call or text like "thanks for the dinner invite I am vegan".

I am sure a large amount of teenagers in Texas are not into hunting or fishing.

Generally stay away from anything that glows in the dark unless it's a glow stick. There are tons of deadly chemicals and materials that people used to use in everything that takes a few decades to figure out they are extremely toxic or cancer causing. There is Americium in all ionization smoke detectors that is radioactive with Alpha particles, nothing will happen to you unless you take the thing apart and remove the shielding around the source and snort the stuff or eat it (then you are in trouble). Cobolt 60 and Cesium-137 found in medial equipment should not be messed with outside of their shielding.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I appreciate that Judd didn't immediately assume Wyatt was gay and was somewhat ok with the idea that he might be gay.

I'm surprised they didn't make him gay, since they're doing hell bent on making him 180 degrees away from Judd for the contrived drama (on top of the already contrived drama of the long lost son).  I'm still holding out hope for him to be the brother's kid.  

As for not knowing the difference between vegan and vegetarian, I assume the writers do know since they had him turn down the mac n cheese so I'm going with they don't have a damn clue how cornbread is made.  

So you have someone dumb enough to find glowing blue dust in the woods held in a container that clearly didn't come from the housewares aisle at Wal Mart, think it's a good idea to rub it all over themselves yet we're supposed to believe that as they lie there melting like the Wicked Witch of the West they have enough presence of mind (much less sense) to point out the credit card receipt--which must be from the only thing they sold.  I think that question Tommy asked the girl in the opener about smoking something must have been a line the writers heard recently.  

• Love 3

Maybe the writers didn't know how to make cornbread, for damn sure at least one of the people on set knew. So somehow no one thought it mattered to fix it. I guess it's kind of funny that we accept utterly absurd rescue stories, but when you show your ignorance of cornbread, that's crossing a line! 

But that's the way I feel about it! 

I've made vegan cornbread, but you have to deliberately plan it that way. It's not likely Grace or Judd would do so without a conscious effort because they knew a vegan was coming over.

Edited by possibilities
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

So somehow no one thought it mattered to fix it. I guess it's kind of funny that we accept utterly absurd rescue stories, but when you show your ignorance of cornbread, that's crossing a line! 

Again, I never knew making pasta involved egg yolks until I was in my thirties. And as a yankee, I never had cornbread, real cornbread until my twenties. I also allow Wyatt might not be familar with all the restrictions of hard core veganism. 

• Love 5

I think the opening case with the couple is funnier when you realize that we've actually seen them before, way back in season 1, in the fourth episode where he ALSO abandoned her for reasons and, I think, got locked in a safe and she had to get him out herself.

So, now Owen is an alien hunter (or maybe Rob Lowe is, who knows?). What a bizarre trait to throw onto Owen JUST to shoehorn him into the episode.

The whole Wyatt/Judd bonding stuff didn't work for me either. So not only did Wyatt not disclose his food restrictions/preferences, but Judd went with the most stereotypical masculine bonding activities ever. Both suck at communicating, it seems. I also just assume Wyatt is Judd's nephew, not son (because I guess his mother would have slept with both brothers on that night? Which makes her look shitty if she doesn't bring it up to him, OR both of them forgot who they did or did not sleep with that night). 

The Tommy stuff was actually very bittersweet. Besides the real gross worms case they went on to get Tommy to the medium/psychic, it was the strongest part of the episode.

Did any of the other characters even show up? I'm sure they did for the opening scene, but I don't even remember and it was a very Judd/Grace/Owen/Tommy heavy episode (I know TK showed up for 2.5 seconds).

• Love 5

I think the opening case with the couple is funnier when you realize that we've actually seen them before, way back in season 1, in the fourth episode where he ALSO abandoned her for reasons and, I think, got locked in a safe and she had to get him out herself.

Yeah, I wasn't sure it was the same kid, but I remember the incident where he locked himself in the gun safe. 

The whole Wyatt/Judd bonding stuff didn't work for me either. 

How old is Wyatt supposed to be? Alien hunting sounds more like something an eight year old would be all jazzed about. I can't imagine a teenager thinking that was cool. If he was just excited to go camping, why didn't he just suggest to Judd they go camping?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Maverick said:

I'm surprised they didn't make him gay, since they're doing hell bent on making him 180 degrees away from Judd for the contrived drama (on top of the already contrived drama of the long lost son).  I'm still holding out hope for him to be the brother's kid.  

They've definitely shown us which side of the Nature Versus Nurture argument they're on.

I know it was for the sake of drama, but its so weird that Wyatt never mentioned that he was a vegan before coming to spend the weekend with Judd and Grace, that's a pretty huge dietary restriction. Then later when Judd realized Wyatt wouldn't want to go hunting or fishing, why not just camp and hike? I like Wyatt as a character, but this whole thing seems unnecessary, especially as Grace and Judd just had a baby.

I wouldn't wish radiation poison on anyone, but those artists really are top candidates for a Darwin award. If something is glowing and its not in a glow stick, just walk away. Grace threatening the credit card people with the wrath of the internet was pretty great though, I love Grace so much. 

It was funny seeing the boyfriend who locked himself in the gun room again, it took me a second to realize where I knew that couple from. I think its probably time to break up...

Owen showing up to save the day again is pretty eye rolling, but I think its funny how often they incorporate Robb's various quirks into his character.

I liked Tommy's plot with the priestess, and that they didn't end up doing a bit where the woman was a fraud or play her as being silly. Its left ambiguous if Charles really was trying to talk to Tommy or if the priestess did sense him, but she seems to be very legit in her beliefs and Tommy feeling like Charles is still watching her makes her feel better, and that's the important part.

I liked this episode pretty well, although after the never ending blizzard, I will take pretty much anything that doesn't involve snow.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

What I don't get is why they thought they needed the Wyatt story in the first place. What does it have to do with the 911 concept? Whether or not it's a good storyline is irrelevant to my feeling that I don't tune into this show for this kind of story at all.

• Love 2

I’d love to see Owen’s reaction when he goes to an alien-believers meet-up and encounters a 9/11 truther.  I’m happy that both his and Tommy’s storylines had rational explanations but then hers concluded with a NON-rational one with the candles.  Is Ryan Murphy so turnt up on the ‘American Horror Story’ fumes that he can’t make a show without ghosts? 

That cat is a STAR and I swear I saw a cat with the same markings on another show recently but I can’t for the life of me remember which one.

• Love 1
On 2/16/2022 at 3:43 PM, tennisgurl said:

Then later when Judd realized Wyatt wouldn't want to go hunting or fishing, why not just camp and hike? I like Wyatt as a character, but this whole thing seems unnecessary, especially as Grace and Judd just had a baby.

Why couldn't Judd just connect the dots that they could go camping? Or MAYBE instead of planning a "me you penis bearers lets be tuff" weekend, he could have read the room a LITTLE and asked Wyatt what things he would like to do in Austin. I mean, Judd isn't actually normally depicted as this clueless or this machismo ridden.

On 2/16/2022 at 3:43 PM, tennisgurl said:

If something is glowing and its not in a glow stick, just walk away. Grace threatening the credit card people with the wrath of the internet was pretty great though, I love Grace so much. 

I actually had HUGE issues with this and I normally like Grace. 

I work in the credit card industry. Little pro tip - the police do NOT call regular customer service to get information on customers. I've worked at two of the four major credit card issuers in the United States - there's a special number to a security unit for the police to call. If the police or 911 operators or medical people etc call in for customer info - they get directed to the special number. When Grace bullied the rep to give out private information by *threatening* to make a big public stink about how the rep refused to *give her personal information about a customer* simply because Grace was claiming to be a 911 operator, yeah, I was frowning. Thanks Grace, you got that rep fired for violating privacy laws and the company fined a huge amount if its discovered. 

I know this sounds petty but I am the one who gets the "well I saw on the tv that any yahoo can call you and claim to be the police and get ALL MY INFO" calls. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:
On 2/16/2022 at 5:43 PM, tennisgurl said:

Grace threatening the credit card people with the wrath of the internet was pretty great though, I love Grace so much. 

I actually had HUGE issues with this and I normally like Grace. 

I work in the credit card industry. Little pro tip - the police do NOT call regular customer service to get information on customers. I've worked at two of the four major credit card issuers in the United States - there's a special number to a security unit for the police to call. If the police or 911 operators or medical people etc call in for customer info - they get directed to the special number. When Grace bullied the rep to give out private information by *threatening* to make a big public stink about how the rep refused to *give her personal information about a customer* simply because Grace was claiming to be a 911 operator, yeah, I was frowning. Thanks Grace, you got that rep fired for violating privacy laws and the company fined a huge amount if its discovered. 

I know this sounds petty but I am the one who gets the "well I saw on the tv that any yahoo can call you and claim to be the police and get ALL MY INFO" calls. 

Thanks, @tennisgurl, for verifying my hunch about 9-1-1 getting ID from credit card info in real life to save real lives vs. what was shown in this episode.
These episodes are pretty fast moving so my back-of-the brain objections ("That's not how this works!") get left in the dust. 

OTOH, several times in the past year or so, as an average citizen, I have resorted to threatening to post negative reviews on social media when a business doesn't want to live up to their promises. It's pretty effective, for example, when they didn't have the services I paid for, so when I threatened my bad reviews they offered to reimburse me when I got the services done through another provider. 
I guess the writers got confused or something about when this is appropriate???

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

OTOH, several times in the past year or so, as an average citizen, I have resorted to threatening to post negative reviews on social media when a business doesn't want to live up to their promises. It's pretty effective, for example, when they didn't have the services I paid for, so when I threatened my bad reviews they offered to reimburse me when I got the services done through another provider. 
I guess the writers got confused or something about when this is appropriate???

Its shown this way on tv a lot - I saw it on one of those live cop shows (COPS or 48 Hours) where the cop ended the call with a nasty shouting fit at the rep on how they were helping a murderer get away and could they live with themselves. Having had this arguement with people who I genuinely believe were police officers, I suspect the problem is that they have rules or some sort of chain of command issue that makes an official request a pain in the ass for them. 

A public complaint or poor review can be an effective way to prod a company to do the right thing. At the same time, I have seen way too many completely wrong in my time to completely buy some of the white knight customer complaints I see where the customer was a prince of politeness and everyone at the company level was an uncaring nightmare. I've gotten exec level complaints where the customer has made a HUGE stink that they were told something and didn't get it and every call they made for the last year was them being told no they couldn't have their way (Specifically a customer complained that he called to close his card and it wasn't done but every rep he spoke to told him he couldn't close the card because it was in his wife's name, not his. He did make a big stink on line over how cruel we were to him, how no one would help him and we had documented evidence that he was repeatedly told to have his wife call on her own card).  I got cussed out by someone claiming to be a police officer for not telling him where "his suspect" had charged last. I got hung up on when I told him I had no idea if he was really a cop and he was asking for info that could reveal the female customer's location and since he wouldn't call the security area as I advised him, I had to assume his intent was malicious.  Trust me when I say that people do malicious things to each other with credit cards all the time. 

• Useful 3