Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 1/31/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Jan. 31 –  Mayim Bialik (“Jeopardy! National College Championship”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, Feb. 1 – Tara Setmayer guest co-hosts; Charlie Day (“I Want You Back”)

Wednesday, Feb. 2 – Tara Setmayer guest co-hosts; Mark Cuban (ABC’s “Shark Tank”); Christian Siriano (“Project Runway”)

Thursday, Feb. 3 – Tara Setmayer guest co-hosts; Sam Richardson (“The Afterparty”); Byron Pitts (co-anchor, ABC News’ “Nightline”; “Soul of a Nation Presents: X / o n e r a t e d – The Murder of Malcolm X and 55 Years to Justice”)

Friday, Feb. 4 –  Star Jones guest co-hosts (host/judge, “Divorce Court”); Day of Hot Topics

• Love 3

Oh, God, not Tara Setmayer. I said it not very long ago, but it always seems to be true. For every "win" with this show--like a week of perfection with Lisa Ling--The View always seems to repay the Viewers with a horrible week to follow, in this case Tara. I would've much rather have had a week with Star.

• Love 6

I dunno.  I'm curious about how the dynamic will go with Sunny and Star.  For the most part both on the same side.  Sunny's our main squeeze, so to speak, for any legal, court, chickens, issues.  Having another one there with maybe a different tude, could cause something.  One day no prob, one week...uhoh lol

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ForumLou said:

I dunno.  I'm curious about how the dynamic will go with Sunny and Star.  For the most part both on the same side.  Sunny's our main squeeze, so to speak, for any legal, court, chickens, issues.  Having another one there with maybe a different tude, could cause something.  One day no prob, one week...uhoh lol

Oooooh, maybe we'll get another split screen? 

• LOL 1

Do they seriously believe Joe Rogan is sorry about what he says?  They believe that was a sincere apology?

Oh, those poor children snowflakes in states where books are being banned. Heaven forbid they feel sad. Talk about cancel culture!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 15
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

Do they seriously believe Joe Rogan is sorry about what he says?  They believe that was a sincere apology?  

That wasn’t an apology. It wasn’t even an acknowledgement that he did anything wrong.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

That wasn’t an apology. It wasn’t even an acknowledge that he did anything wrong.

Right. “I’m sorry if you feel that way” or “I’m sorry if you were offended” are not apologies. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Oh Sara!!  She says his apology was "refreshing."

Sara could likely be sold a water pistol in a rainstorm.

Edited by Rightside
  • LOL 13
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Oh, those poor children snowflakes in states where books are being banned. Heaven forbid they feel sad. Talk about cancel culture!

I don't think Joy was impressed with his apology though..

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Rightside said:

Oh Sara!!  She says his apology was "refreshing."

Sara could likely be sold a water pistol in a rainstorm.

Hah!  Never heard that one before but I like it. Can just see Dorothy saying that to Rose at the kitchen table

On 1/30/2022 at 2:00 AM, MsTree said:

Oooooh, maybe we'll get another split screen? 

Or maybe she'll explain what happened with her and SWSRN on her last visit.  Either way couldn't care that she'll be there.  Hopefully just one day.

• Love 1

Honestly, I did see Sara's point about some personal responsibility. The people I know who get their health advice from Joe Rogan and Tucker Carlson are beyond help. I know a woman with health issues. She's the last person who needs to get covid, but she's more scared of the vaccine and is super concerned about side effects that will happen later down the line. She's in her 70s!!! I could get that argument from a young, healthy person, but at her age, wouldn't you just want to live longer?!

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

I wish Whoopi would stick to acting, something she does very well.   I don't find her a scholar on any subject and the episode today when she lectured her cohorts on the Holocaust was just another example of her being out of her depth IMHO.

And Sunny needs to stick to being a lawyer, not everything is about race.

Sarah should stick to hosting the Chase, let someone else dress her, she's not good at it if she chooses her own clothes.

Joy should just retire. she's just a squawking mess who thinks the loudest person is always right.

Anna should stick to whatever it is she does because at the moment she's making the most sense.

• Love 7

The Auschwitz Memorial tweeted to Whoopi about her ignorant comments and the US Holocaust Museum subtweeted her. Also the ADL Head called her out. Not a good day and just another example of how her ego lets her go on and on about subjects she is clearly extremely ignorant on. The other co hosts even politely corrected her. Hope she apologizes. Unfortunately the View hasn't had a Jewish co-host in 7 years now either.

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, geekburger said:

Whoopi’s comments are getting some negative attention and scrutiny. 

AND...she'll never back down.  If she says anything, she'll say that everyone misunderstood.  It was almost funny how PENDANTIC (but wrong) she was on this topic.  Apparently only a Black EGOT knows what racism is.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I wish an acting coach could teach Sunny how to smile with sincerity.  Too often her smiles are so FAKE, they're embarrassing...especially when she's agreeing (haha) with Whoopi ...Viewing Their Deals, or selling other products.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

AND...she'll never back down.  If she says anything, she'll say that everyone misunderstood.  It was almost funny how PENDANTIC (but wrong) she was on this topic.  Apparently only a Black EGOT knows what racism is.

yep and imagine how good telling the Auschwitz Memorial they are wrong will look......yikes

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Exactly....and it is because Whoopi misunstands (for lack of a better word).  I think that Whoopi probably understands "racism" as bias against a race, which, I assume she perceives the meaning of "race" to be people of color.  I guess she doesn't realize that racism comes in all colors.  

I kind of get what she was saying about man's inhumanity against other men, but she got all twisted in her words and per usual, would not back down or listen to the other women and accept that she may have been incorrect.

Whoopi was completely wrong in her diatribe and she needs to apologize and admit her ignorance lack of understanding and knowlege, but I don't think that will happen.  

I was offended with the way she spoke about this today.  

• Love 17

Oh Whoopi why do you think Jews were targeted?  She has said some stupid things but this ranks pretty high on the list.   You could tell her cohosts were trying to correct her but gave up and let her just be more stupid.

I never understood why Janet Jackson was punished for her breast being shown.  It was Justin who exposed it. Just one more example of a women always being blamed for something.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 19

She apologized, kind of... sorry for the hurt she caused. But did say she stands corrected. Not sure she gets it historically.

For someone that ignores twitter and social media she needs more than a twitter statement. Not like it all of a sudden occurred her to put out a statement all by herself either. Damage control.

This is up there with her initial Cosby take. Then ABC educated her on the show. Kind of maybe.

Whoopi seems to go into I'm going to make a point and let me do it, don't interrupt and ends up in a word salad. And gets caught.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

The ideas of "race" and racial hierarchies were invented to justify the mistreatment of groups of people other than your own. As is often the case in making mistakes, Whoopi's error in categorizing Hitler's Final Solution opened a wider dialogue, and good can come from that.

• Love 11

I think her apology was gracious.  She admits she was wrong, she is sorry for hurting people (as opposed to saying she's sorry if anyone was hurt).  I'm sure she'll address this on the show today.  Does anyone really think she doesn't support Jewish people?  It's more like her mouth got ahead of her brain and her need to be the ultimate authority on every subject bit her in the butt.

• Love 23
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

Does anyone really think she doesn't support Jewish people?  It's more like her mouth got ahead of her brain and her need to be the ultimate authority on every subject bit her in the butt.

Exactly. I wasn't offended. To be honest, I could barely make out the point she was trying to make, though if I squint, turn my head backwards and stand upside down in a bucket of piranha fish then I can sorta see what she was getting at, at least with the "man's inhumanity to man" part. I'm also just kinda over this "let's be outraged over every little thing someone says" thing that's going on these days, and can't bring myself to care about this particular blunder. Why does it surprise anyone that a celebrity who can barely form a coherent sentence at the best of times would say something in this way anyway? Now, if she were arguing for the introduction of restrictions on us or something, I could see people getting upset, but she clearly wasn't doing something like that.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

And Sunny needs to stick to being a lawyer, not everything is about race.

Sarah should stick to hosting the Chase, let someone else dress her, she's not good at it if she chooses her own clothes.

Joy should just retire. she's just a squawking mess who thinks the loudest person is always right.

Anna should stick to whatever it is she does because at the moment she's making the most sense.

THIS! The show is getting stale and predictable. Only Anna makes it interesting at this point. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Sue in her 60s said:

The ideas of "race" and racial hierarchies were invented to justify the mistreatment of groups of people other than your own. As is often the case in making mistakes, Whoopi's error in categorizing Hitler's Final Solution opened a wider dialogue, and good can come from that.

I agree.

Not a Whoopi fan at all these days. Still, I don't think this misunderstanding is nearly as bad as the Cosby thing. I don't think she was deliberately intending to cause harm the way she did there. I can understand how she made the lapse of thinking of the hatred of Jews as being based on religion alone, but it was a combo of both that and believing they were genetically inferior for the Nazis.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Exactly....and it is because Whoopi misunstands (for lack of a better word).  I think that Whoopi probably understands "racism" as bias against a race, which, I assume she perceives the meaning of "race" to be people of color.  I guess she doesn't realize that racism comes in all colors.  

I kind of get what she was saying about man's inhumanity against other men, but she got all twisted in her words and per usual, would not back down or listen to the other women and accept that she may have been incorrect.

Whoopi was completely wrong in her diatribe and she needs to apologize and admit her ignorance lack of understanding and knowlege, but I don't think that will happen.  

I was offended with the way she spoke about this today.  

Remember she thought Broadway being called “the great white way” was about race and not because the lights were white. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agree.

Not a Whoopi fan at all these days. Still, I don't think this misunderstanding is nearly as bad as the Cosby thing. I don't think she was deliberately intending to cause harm the way she did there. I can understand how she made the lapse of thinking of the hatred of Jews as being based on religion alone, but it was a combo of both that and believing they were genetically inferior for the Nazis.

Part of whoopis problem is that she comes across as a know-it-all. She treats everyone else as her student. She may be one of the older panelists and had an interesting life, but she’s far from being the wise elder dispensing sage advice. She speaks in absolutes and with an air of superiority so when she pushes an opinion as a fact like this latest Holocaust comment, it comes across as arrogant, if not, ignorant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Does anyone really think she doesn't support Jewish people?  It's more like her mouth got ahead of her brain and her need to be the ultimate authority on every subject bit her in the butt.

No Whoopi wasn't being intentionally offensive.  She thought she was saying something really insightful and wouldn't let her cohosts deter her from making the point she was making.  I think the word for that is hubris.

40 minutes ago, jalady said:

I believe Whoopi was forced into that apology tweet and still doesn’t get it.  Too bad *shakes head *

I also believe Whoopi only apologized because she was told to. It doesn't even sound like her. Although the misspelling of waver is on brand.

35 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

In addition to the Cosby thing there was the Michael Vick thing.  And the Roman Polanski thing.  Whoopi thinks what she thinks is the correct way to think about something.  My prediction is she will be defensive today.  Like she knew what she meant and it's everyone else who didn't understand.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

In addition to the Cosby thing there was the Michael Vick thing.  And the Roman Polanski thing.  Whoopi thinks what she thinks is the correct way to think about something.  My prediction is she will be defensive today.  Like she knew what she meant and it's everyone else who didn't understand.  

I agree that Whoopi probably made a faster apology because the show likely received higher-than-usual levels of criticism and they wanted to get out in front of it. But, I don't know, I thought she was more genuinely apologetic than normal on Colbert. Back when they had the "expert" on to explain Cosby, you could tell she was just putting on an act, practically reading a script for damage control. Of course, she often puts more effort into her appearances on other shows than The View, so who knows how she'll be on the show today.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, OpalNightstream said:

Part of whoopis problem is that she comes across as a know-it-all. She treats everyone else as her student. She may be one of the older panelists and had an interesting life, but she’s far from being the wise elder dispensing sage advice. She speaks in absolutes and with an air of superiority so when she pushes an opinion as a fact like this latest Holocaust comment, it comes across as arrogant, if not, ignorant.

I agree, this is the character she plays in a lot of her movies.  It doesn't extend to her performance on The View.

• Love 3

I think that Whoopi thought that she would make a larger point by saying the Holocaust wasn't about race, but she (and some of the other panelists) seem stuck with the notion that race involved "white people" and "people who are not white" in a very basic sense. She didn't take into account that the Nazis (and other people as well) considered the Jews to be a particular race in themselves, whether they had light skin or not. From their perspective only "pure" Aryan people were fit to rule, so other races like Jews, Gypsies, etc. and "undesirable" people like homosexuals had to be removed. Her point about man's inhumanity to man is not wrong itself, but it isn't the whole point. Man may be inhuman to man, but usually there's some target, and if you already feel some race is inferior, then choosing them is likely.

• Love 17

Whoopi's apology still indicates that she "needs to get herself educated" as she likes to tell others. Race is not only the colour of your skin. The more she talked on the View and Colbert, the more ignorant she revealed herself to be. Why do you think the Nazis handed out charts showing how to spot a Jewish nose so that people could condemn their neighbours to death?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, KittyQ said:

I think that Whoopi thought that she would make a larger point by saying the Holocaust wasn't about race, but she (and some of the other panelists) seem stuck with the notion that race involved "white people" and "people who are not white" in a very basic sense. She didn't take into account that the Nazis (and other people as well) considered the Jews to be a particular race in themselves, whether they had light skin or not. From their perspective only "pure" Aryan people were fit to rule, so other races like Jews, Gypsies, etc. and "undesirable" people like homosexuals had to be removed. Her point about man's inhumanity to man is not wrong itself, but it isn't the whole point. Man may be inhuman to man, but usually there's some target, and if you already feel some race is inferior, then choosing them is likely.

Beautifully said.. What pissed me off with Whoopie was the way that she would not allow anybody to contradict what she said. You could tell that the panel did not agree with her but chose not to push back because they realized it was pointless and would piss Whoopie off, so it was not worth the hassle. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Beautifully said.. What pissed me off with Whoopie was the way that she would not allow anybody to contradict what she said. You could tell that the panel did not agree with her but chose not to push back because they realized it was pointless and would piss Whoopie off, so it was not worth the hassle. 

She does this all the time. she thinks everyone  else is there to learn from her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Appreciate Whoopi and the View apologizing and having Jonathan on. That's exactly how it needs to be done.

Nonetheless many Americans really need to understand racism exists outside of white/black contexts in the US. Serbian racism towards Albanians is very real and was even genocidal despite them being of similar skin tone. Same with Turkish and Armenian, Germans and Slavic people, Japanese and Chinese. etc etc. racism and colorism are not the same thing though they often have overlap...sorry just my rant. tbh dont blame Whoopi for the ignorance just hope she is more humble in the future. 

• Love 10

I didnt watch yesterday's show,  but I caught WG on Colbert.  Obviously I went and looked up what happened.  I can say WG definitely did a turn around.  Even on Colbert She still maintained what she said on The View. Today she spoke like a person who had been spoken to and might have been close to losing her job. 

When I watched the clip of her on Monday's  show, it reminded me why i dislike Whoopi.  She speaks on subjects and will let no one correct her or express to her why what she is saying makes no sense. She acts like the authority on everything. 

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Cozytea said:

I didnt watch yesterday's show,  but I caught WG on Colbert.  Obviously I went and looked up what happened.  I can say WG definitely did a turn around.  Even on Colbert She still maintained what she said on The View. Today she spoke like a person who had been spoken to and might have been close to losing her job. 

When I watched the clip of her on Monday's  show, it reminded me why i dislike Whoopi.  She speaks on subjects and will let no one correct her or express to her why what she is saying makes no sense. She acts like the authority on everything. 

Joy and Sara are both married to ethnically Jewish men...not saying that makes them the authority on the subject but hey Whoopi maybe realize there's a lot of diverse backgrounds the panel you can get insight from too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12