Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 1/31/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

I know, but it just looked terrible on her -- on TV.

I couldn't get a screenshot on my computer that matched how bad it looked on my TV. I had the show paused, and my husband came in and noticed, which might be the first time he's noticed clothes on The View, other than Meghan's crazier stuff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I've been reading Sunny's memoir in order to try and understand her perspective, because honestly, she bugs the shit out of me.  

I'm on the last chapter, The View, in which she names Whoopi as the one who brought her to the attention of Bill Geddie (former exec producer.)

Here's a quote from the book:  " Whoopi is incredibly informed and thoughtful.  She watches lots and lots of news."  A little levity for a very exhausting week at The View. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2022 at 1:04 PM, Back Atcha said:

I think Tara is beautiful, talented, and very smart.  Apparently not smart enough to know how to behave as the new kid.  I hope producers didn't tell her to jump in...mix it up.  I agree, Debbie!

Tara does talk a lot but I think the producer or screen alerting Joy to go to a commercial or next segment is behind Tara, whereas Sara & probably Sunny can see the cues (Sara always seems to be looking where Joy is looking). It would be helpful if they ALL could see the count-down clock etc. and speed up or shut up so that they can all be in sync and on schedule.

Lisa & Tara both kept trying to respond to each thought by others at the table.  Perhaps the Guest Hosts need their own producer or guide to signal them to zip it or wait until the person speaking is done. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I think she has looked and been miserable for a couple of years.  The only time she looked happy recently is after Meghan left...and then I think it was an act created specifically for media to comment on "how HAPPY Whoopi is these days."  She was almost giddy.

The only time Whoopi seemed happy to me was the first couple of days after she'd been off for a week or so on some other project that was fulfilling. But it didn't last long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

I am Jewish and I did understand what she was trying to say and didn't think it bigoted. She was defining race as we primarily define it today and apparently didn't know that the Nazis did consider Jews to be a race, an inferior race.  She did understand mans inhumanity to man which is another piece of the Holocaust.  I didn't feel that she was really diminishing the Holocaust by her comments.  I did think her apology on the show was well meaning (though some said she wasn't so apologetic the night before)and i liked that they had an expert on to answer questions and explain.  I mean MM said some really hateful things on the show and I don't recall her being suspended, or even having to apologize.  

I think a BIG part of the problem with Whoopi is that when she goes off on a tangent, she refuses to listen to anyone else's opinion...as if hers is the ONLY one that matters. And most of us are tired of her insisting that she's right all the time. She needs to stop say "no, no, no" to the other panels members when she thinks she's right....and stop shutting them down.

But instead, she closes her ears and talks over everyone else in a louder voice. She reminds me of a child who puts their hands of their ears while saying "I can't hear you".....

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Or when actors fawned over her...she was happy then.

OHGODYES, MaggieMae.  It's sickening to watch her humble act  (Aw, shucks, little ol' me?) during any/all fawning.  AND...if one wants to get ahead or stay in her good graces, groveling and fawning are THE BEST!  I watch Sonny try it (it's not working) and I'm embarrassed for her.

Whoopi's "humble brags" are sights to behold too.

9 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

Here's a quote from the book:  " Whoopi is incredibly informed and thoughtful.  She watches lots and lots of news."  A little levity for a very exhausting week at The View. 

This is EXACTLY the sucking up I see in Sunny...all the time.  Covering all her bases...even in a publication. (The above quote is from Sunny's memoir.)

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Glorious said:

I like Tara  she brings a lot to the table.

I agree, but she just needs a bit-o-this!  Calm Down Saturday Night Live GIF by Seeso

She jumps in too often.  Her points take WAY too long.  She talks over others and their faces show it.  If she's auditioning, she needs to slow down--time to be aggressive when she has the job!  If she wants the gig, she's going about it the wrong way.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

Different strokes .... I thought Mark Cuban's office looked like some mid-level hoarding. Lol. No offense. 

I've worked for top executives whose desks at work looked like Mark's.  In general, they could find anything they needed...in seconds (and didn't want me to "neaten" anything).  They all just have A LOT going on.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, General Days said:

She said the "Nazis lied about race" because she doesn't understand race is a defined concept and not some sort of 2+2=4 fact.

I truly believe she won't ACCEPT that concept.  Whoopi has been bullying the world with all her "knowledge" for so long, I don't think she can stop.  Even on these boards we read how intelligent she is--how educated.  She's not.  She's been putting up a false front and has been revered for it.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, General Days said:

Race is a social construct that categorizes human beings based on some shared qualities. Often, these shared qualities have a genetic/biological component, but not exclusively, and not always.

I've been saying that all over forums like this since last century.  Anthropologists like the Leakys were saying it for the last 70 or so years.

At the same time any cursory look at the history of the  Nazi regime says that they believed the Aryan race was superior to the Jewish race.  I was once in a serious relationship with a Jewish man and he told me it would break his parents' hearts if he married a gentile, even if I converted I would never be considered fully Jewish because I was not born of a Jewish mother, so not a member of the race.

I know all that and I'm a white hillbilly from West Virginia.  Whoopi has been part of the comedy and entertainment business all her life and must have known hundreds of Jewish people.  She should know how they see themselves, just like she herself should know that categories like "black" are vague and unscientific.  In fact Jewish people, with the care they've taken to keep their line pure, have more right to call themselves a race  than American blacks like Whoopie. 

Whoopie just doesn't want to know. She likes seeing herself as a member of the Most Oppressed Ever.  Whoopie isn't really a very intelligent person, she just plays one on TV.

• Love 7

Ana, Nancy Pelosi was warning the kids in Beijing against making political statements because she doesn’t want them to be seized by the police. She said wait until on US soil to speak out. It says right in their package that they will be subject to questioning if the say something controversial.

Oh, ugh, not Alyssa Farrah again. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I did not know Star Jones had a son, he is a very handsome young man, and I liked her story about her son calls her "Noni".  Also, Star's red jacket is very sparkly!

He is actually her stepson..

• Useful 3

Excellent point made by Emmanuel Ocho that often gets lost when the NFL is highlighting Mike Tomlin: the man has had 15 consecutive non-losing seasons!!! Compare that to the records of many white coaches, some of whom get hired repeatedly despite their mediocre records.  And preach! about the nepotism in the league AND the broadcast booth (looking at you, sons of Phil Simms and Cris Collingsworth).  Ahem.

Edited by jalady
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
19 hours ago, Glorious said:

I like Tara  she brings a lot to the table.  I also like her because MM and her husband does not like her.

I wish that was enough to make me like her, but, while I love Ana, a Republican McCain also hated, Tara does nothing for me. And I expect she'd be overbearing if she was officially cast. They've auditioned much worse though, I'll admit.

I agreed with Joy's comments on Pelosi that she was not supporting China, so much as trying to warn our country's athletes because they will be in a place nothing like America, where there is no protection for freedom of speech. That said, I'm also with Ana and Star on the general point that we shouldn't be there since, as Ana said, we know China is committing genocide.

Star was fun. I don't know why Sunny wasn't there, it's not like only one lawyer can be at the table at a time--Ana is also a lawyer and Sunny is on the show with her regularly. As for what they were wondering in regards to political topics versus relationship ones, I think The View is best when it's a mix. I always think of it as mostly having serious topics the first half hour and lighter ones in the second. The only reason I like the lighter topics is because they're the only ones where everyone doesn't have to walk on eggshells while discussing lest they say one wrong thing, they can be more loose and it's much funnier. I don't think the fluff topics would be worth it if Joy and Ana weren't on the show adding that humor and bringing some life out of the others.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 9
On 2/1/2022 at 3:40 PM, Rainyhawk said:

I thought Tara was absolutely right today on calling out the Republican Party and explaining what this next election will be about…democracy or authoritarianism.  And that the Dems need to take this more seriously and be clear in what we are fighting for.  They need to take the gloves off for once.  I really liked her today.  Since this is her second time, maybe she’s the front runner?  Wonder if she and princess are still friends…I don’t think they agree on this.  

Oh, I don't think MM and Tara are friends, just the opposite.  Wasn't it MM that tried to block Tara being chosen for the 5th chair?

• Love 3

Good show today.  Lots of laughs.  Who knew I would like Star so much at this point.  I really had a dislike for her back in the day.  I wouldnt mind all if she got the job, but alas she is otherwise employed.  Ana is a lawyer?  I didnt know that.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Ana, Nancy Pelosi was warning the kids in Beijing against making political statements because she doesn’t want them to be seized by the police. She said wait until on US soil to speak out. It says right in their package that they will be subject to questioning if the say something controversial.

Oh, ugh, not Alyssa Farrah again. 

Yeah I think she was remembering Lochte and the summer games when he ripped a poster off the wall. I think that was him.  And then disparaged the country.  She didnt want anyone doing that again 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jalady said:

Excellent point made by Emmanuel Ocho that often gets lost when the NFL is highlighting Mike Tomlin: the man has had 15 consecutive non-losing seasons!!! Compare that to the records of many white coaches, some of whom get hired repeatedly despite their mediocre records.  And preach! about the nepotism in the league AND the broadcast booth (looking at you, sons of Phil Simms and Cris Collingsworth).  Ahem.

Yes.  Mike Tomlin is a good coach period.  

• Love 2
18 hours ago, General Days said:

Acknowledging we're too hard on women, judge them too often by their wardrobe and appearance, and that Sunny Hostin is both a smart cookie and a beautiful woman, with a figure I find enviable, I just want to say...

I agree, however I feel comments about fashion are acceptable. 

18 hours ago, General Days said:

Sunny, what the hell is this dress? 

I think this dress would be more flattering in a solid color or maybe even two-tone with one color on top and a different (either tone or contrasting) color on the bottom. 

21 hours ago, General Days said:

And she said that because she was thinking of race in terms of the kind of racism we primarily talk about in North America  -- skin-color-based.

She was either forgetting, or didn't think about how the Nazis wanted to build a so-called "master race" and purge all the "races" of people they deemed as sub-human (Jews, Slavs, intellectually disabled, LGBT, etc.) from the population.

Whoopi is somewhat older than I. That being said, we were taught in my NY (where Whoopi went to primary school) elementary school that there are three races. My AZ middle school said there were four races and that just because Hitler called Aryan a race and Jewish a separate race, did not make it so. (Don’t shoot me, I am just the messenger providing foundation to what may have happened with Whoopi.)

The definition of race has evolved, as have many, many other social constructs. Absolutely I believe that Whoopi meant no harm whatsoever by her comment. We all have things to learn about. Being open to and proactive with acquiring new knowledge is a wise and gentle thing. 

I love 💕 learning something new every day, having a world 🌍 🌎 of knowledge at my fingertips. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Glitches said:

Absolutely I believe that Whoopi meant no harm whatsoever by her comment. We all have things to learn about. Being open to and proactive with acquiring new knowledge is a wise and gentle thing. 

I don't think she meant any harm either, I think the problem started when she was not open to what the others were telling her.  Apparently she is now and I agree, that's a wise decision on someone's part.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I don't think she meant any harm either, I think the problem started when she was not open to what the others were telling her.  Apparently she is now and I agree, that's a wise decision on someone's part.

Ahhh...Judy, "Apparently" is the key word here.  She might semi-agree in this one instance, but she has bullied too many of her fellow panelists for too long to just quit--cold turkey.  I do wonder if she's humiliated and ANGRY over her suspension...and how comfortable she'll be coming back.  She should NEVER have been the moderator because she doesn't play well with others.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Glitches said:

Absolutely I believe that Whoopi meant no harm whatsoever by her comment. We all have things to learn about.

I agree that she meant no harm, but...

2 hours ago, Glitches said:

Being open to and proactive with acquiring new knowledge is a wise and gentle thing. 

This is where she made her mistake...her USUAL mistake.  She wouldn't listen to her "friends" on the panel who tried to explain what Hitler and the Nazis meant by race...referring to Jewish people.  She, as usual, shut them down--rudely.

• Love 11
On 2/1/2022 at 8:43 AM, ifionlyknew said:

No Whoopi wasn't being intentionally offensive.  She thought she was saying something really insightful and wouldn't let her cohosts deter her from making the point she was making.  I think the word for that is hubris.

I also believe Whoopi only apologized because she was told to. It doesn't even sound like her. Although the misspelling of waver is on brand.

In addition to the Cosby thing there was the Michael Vick thing.  And the Roman Polanski thing.  Whoopi thinks what she thinks is the correct way to think about something.  My prediction is she will be defensive today.  Like she knew what she meant and it's everyone else who didn't understand.  

And don't forget Mel Gibson!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Rightside said:

I didn't miss Sunny!!

I did. Only because she is such a Colin Kaepernick defender and i would have liked to have heard her response to Emmanuel Acho when he said about CK "his record was 1-10 his last 11 games," "the NFL will keep you if you have talent, no matter how much if a distraction you are."

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Glitches said:

Joy asked for comments as to whether The View should become less political. No, The View should remain as it is. There are many other shows that focus on mundane topics. I do not watch those shows. 

And I respectfully disagree. For one thing, this is NOT the show that BW intended it to be. But more importantly, I am sick & tired of hearing about politics on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, there will always be political headlines, but they don't have to consume the entire show for one hour. There are other interesting subjects to discuss beside the mundane. That would be the producers job to make the show as much fun as it used to be before it turned into CNN.

• Love 6

It seems the format for some time is to have the first segment be about the latest political headlines, with the next segment after commercial break discussing much lighter topics, like celebrity gossip or a poll of some kind.  The producers seem to be trying to balance things.  

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It seems the format for some time is to have the first segment be about the latest political headlines, with the next segment after commercial break discussing much lighter topics, like celebrity gossip or a poll of some kind.  The producers seem to be trying to balance things.  

The ones that Whoopi rolls her eyes at and refuses to participate in. 

I've wanted her gone for a long time. 

Edited by JayD83
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, MsTree said:

For one thing, this is NOT the show that BW intended it to be. But more importantly, I am sick & tired of hearing about politics on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, there will always be political headlines, but they don't have to consume the entire show for one hour.

And wasn't Friday's show more fun...for them AND for us...when they went a little off script and seemed to enjoy REAL conversation?  Most shows (even late night talk) are SO scripted, they're just copycats.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

And wasn't Friday's show more fun...for them AND for us...when they went a little off script and seemed to enjoy REAL conversation?  

I know!!!!!(tm Monica Geller).  Friday's show felt like old school View.  The conversation flowed naturally. Nobody had to walk on eggshells.  Nobody had to defer to someone else who thought they knew better.  Didn't miss Sunny at all.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

And wasn't Friday's show more fun...for them AND for us...when they went a little off script and seemed to enjoy REAL conversation?  Most shows (even late night talk) are SO scripted, they're just copycats.

Yes, I loved every second of it!! ABC, please more of this 🙏

• Love 9