Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E12: Willem Dafoe / Katy Perry

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I wish I didn't relate to "Now I'm Up" so very much.

Those dogs were precious, especially Pigeon the one who desperately wanted to kiss.

I love beagles.

They should have a dog host.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

The audience is absolutely roaring like this is the funniest thing on Earth, but.... Emily in Paris sucks.  I wish they picked another show.  I know Peyton's classic SNL sketch well but this just... meh.

I loved the first song by Katy Perry "When I'm Gone".  I keep singing it in the kitchen.  LOL

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I think Peyton Manning just stole the episode from Willem Dafoe.

2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I keep thinking I don't want to like Peyton Manning, but he makes it difficult.  Especially when he's on this show.  That was hilarious. 

Same here. 

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The audience is absolutely roaring like this is the funniest thing on Earth, but.... Emily in Paris sucks.  I wish they picked another show.

I thought that was the whole idea - that Emily in Paris sucks. 

Unless I'm missing your meaning (which would not be unusual for me).

• Love 18
10 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I thought that was the whole idea - that Emily in Paris sucks. 

Unless I'm missing your meaning (which would not be unusual for me).

Haha.  No.  I KNEW that somebody would respond with this.  It's just such a huge platform.  It's Peyton, it's SNL.  I wish they had given it to a show that deserves it, when there are so many good quality shows out this year.   I know people are going to be talking about this, and for whatever reason, EiP has become one of those watercooler/touchpoint shows (I know that's not really a thing anymore, but whatever the 2022 equivalent is).  I guess because people all think it sucks, but everyone watches it, because it's on Netflix, and so accessible.  Sigh.  

The second song by Katy Perry "Never Really Over", I think she's doing a super slow version.  Her normal/fast version reminds me of that Donna Lewis song "I Love You Always Forever".  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I liked the first season of EiP, but I couldn't get through the second.  I don't begrudge anyone their entertainment, there are just so many exciting things happening in television right this second that do not include EiP.  Just a personal idea.  Everyone talks about Netflix, and I get it, because there's too many streaming platforms out there and it's too much money to use all of them.  I get it.  I get the joke.  I guess I'm just resentful that this particular show gets to be so overexposed and this is just another example.

Funny how this office sketch is referencing "Initech" the name of the company in "Office Space".

I think Willem Defoe is absolutely fantastic at this.  I just don't think the writing was up to par for him.  It wasn't horrible, but I wanted more.

I did laugh at Willem in the Beauty and the Beast sketch.   And of course I loved Bowen and Aidy as the Trend Forecasters.  Weekend Update was generally good.  

There was a lot of Melissa in this episode.

My Channel cut off Willem at the end of his goodbye :( 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

I laughed so hard at Keenan googling his neck issue just to find the most horrifying disease imaginable.

That video sums up anxiety so well. Thanks, SNL. I'll think of it when I'm trying to sleep, but wondering about near-earth asteroids, earthquakes, and that mistake I made at work two weeks ago.

Peyton Manning is just hilarious. And Willem Dafoe was a great host. 

Katy Perry was solid, but oof, those pants.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Cold Open: And we open with Biden! Oh no, Russia is memeing us to death. ACTUAL memes, too! And not just cringey made up memes the writers created. The American ones were appropriately lame and cringey. Had to get the topical Tom Brady joke out of the way, too.

Monologue: Right out of the gate, Willem Dafoe was great. "I'm not one of those subtle actors like Nicolas Cage or Al Pacino." You know, Wisconsin was the last place I expected him to be from. I always thought he was born in a dreary Rhode Island beach town a la The Lighthouse?

Tenants Association Meeting: A good ol crazy townspeople sketch. It's a great showcase to all the people who weren't in the show last week. They had everybody in this sketch but Cecily (she must be busy with her one woman show). Willem Dafoe's character slayed me. This was obviously a sequel to the School Board meeting because there were a few similar characters, like Dismuke's kid that said "dooouche" instead of "biiiitch." 

Now I'm Up: This was catchy as hell. Was NOT expecting Willem Dafoe to be in this, nor play a big part in it but I loved it. I'd watch him shill air fryers all night.

Badminster Dog Show: Great concept, a dog show for terrible, annoying dogs. Like a dog afraid of everything, a dog that's a sexual predator, and a The hosts finding out they're married seems like something out of Best in Show. The dogs were adorable, and utterly perfect. This felt like a Whiskers R We commercial if Kate wasn't allowed to talk. This isn't a criticism, I love those sketches.

Nugenix: Oh my god they're spoofing THIS commercial. It's exactly like this sketch: a guy who meets Frank Thomas and Doug Flutie and they admit to having low testosterone. Most of the lines in beginning of the sketch were taken right from the commercial. Hell, they completely nailed the look of the girlfriend.

Here's the real one:

I was NOT expecting the sketch to go where it did, but I was laughing at everyone dying at their boners and Willem refusing to drop character.

WU: Gotta get a joke in about doing the show during a blizzard. The audience wasn't feeling that great RBG joke. Really liked Aidy and Bowen's fashion trend experts.

"In: Sobbing." Mood. And call me a Michael Che, because I like movie posters as decor.

I was NOT expecting former host Peyton Manning to show up, but he was welcome. Especially since all he talked about was Emily in Paris.

Beauty & The Beast: Pete as The Beast was just funny. I was not expecting this sketch to be about Maurice being horny. Only Willem Dafoe could make this work.

Please Don't Destroy: This was great. Why do these sketches keep getting cut? Also fascinating that THIS sketch was the one with the Spider-Man reference in this. 

Good Morning Columbus: I can believe that Willem Dafoe wrote a book about blowing yourself. This was silly.

Intern: I laughed so hard at Melissa Heidi falling out the window. I got the feeling that this was cut off early because the show ran out of time.

This was a dumb show, but Willem Dafoe hit it out of the park, just as I thought he would. The show takes the month off thanks to the Olympics and returns with John Mulaney! 

Edited by Galileo908
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9

I thought this was a pretty great show. I enjoyed almost everything.

I thought it was very clever that they worked in the apparently false news about Tom Brady that hit like crazy this afternoon. And the part with Pete as Aaron Rodgers just cracks me up (and it helps that the actual Aaron Rodgers will likely be very annoyed). I hope they continue to go after Jake from State Farm. Those ads get so old after you've seen them 10,000 times.

I know not everybody loves the Association sketches, but I enjoy when everyone in the cast gets to do something. I even saw Aristotle for a few seconds.

The Please Don't Destroy guys get better and better. Whose kid was that?

The last sketch was crazy. I loved it.

54 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Right out of the gate, Willem Dafoe was great. "I'm not one of those subtle actors like Nicolas Cage or Al Pacino." You know, Wisconsin was the last place I expected him to be from. I always thought he was born in a dreary Rhode Island beach town a la The Lighthouse?

I never really thought about it, but I think I always thought he was English? lol 

I spent the whole episode wondering who it was who said "We'll find out" right before the opening started. 

I definitely heard that, too. It was kinda like a Biden hot mike moment, but without the bolder language.  I admit i love when mishaps happen and seeing if we get a glimpse behind the curtain. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I keep thinking I don't want to like Peyton Manning, but he makes it difficult.  Especially when he's on this show.  That was hilarious. 

He also makes Colin look so tiny. 

Why Don't You Like Peyton Manning ? Do You Not Like Foot Ball Or Do You NOT Like The Indianapolis Colts ? ? 

11 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

No Cecily 😥....and too much Chloe

Cecily Is Doing That Off Broadway Show ! Cecily Hasn't Been On For Several Weeks ! 

7 minutes ago, Jody said:

Why Don't You Like Peyton Manning ? Do You Not Like Foot Ball Or Do You NOT Like The Indianapolis Colts ? ? 

I love football.  I'm from Baltimore, so I will always hate that the Colts were stolen from us in the middle of the night.  I know it's not Peyton's fault, but there's no logic in a good, lifetime sports grudge! 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Please Don't Destroy: This was great. Why do these sketches keep getting cut? Also fascinating that THIS sketch was the one with the Spider-Man reference in this. 

I thought the kid in this was really good.  I wonder where they found him.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The audience is absolutely roaring like this is the funniest thing on Earth, but.... Emily in Paris sucks.

I don't love EiP either but it makes sense for the joke. They needed something popular enough that people would recognize but also not something you'd think Peyton would watch.  EiP is geared more towards women and is rather frivolous. 

Cheer might have worked in its first season but this season, it was anything but frivolous so it wouldn't work as well.  I don't think they were approving of his show choice.  It was an interesting idea but some of the arguments weren't really based on the show so it was kind of meh for me too.

Plus, Emily in Paris Season  was only about 5 hours long.  It didn't explain why he missed out on all the football.

1 hour ago, vb68 said:

I thought this was a pretty great show. I enjoyed almost everything.

I thought it was very clever that they worked in the apparently false news about Tom Brady that hit like crazy this afternoon. And the part with Pete as Aaron Rodgers just cracks me up (and it helps that the actual Aaron Rodgers will likely be very annoyed). I hope they continue to go after Jake from State Farm. Those ads get so old after you've seen them 10,000 times.

I know not everybody loves the Association sketches, but I enjoy when everyone in the cast gets to do something. I even saw Aristotle for a few seconds.

The Please Don't Destroy guys get better and better. Who's kid was that?

The last sketch was crazy. I loved it.

I never really thought about it, but I think I always thought he was English? lol 

I Definitely heard that, too. It was kinda like a Biden hot mike moment, but without the bolder language.  i admit i love when mishaps happen and seeing if we get a glimpse behind the curtain. 

You Said Who's Kid Was That  ! I Thought Maybe That Kid Was Mikey Day's Kid Like When He Was With His Kid In The Other Show And They Were Playing Video Games ! I Might Be Wrong Though Because This Kid Might Be Older And He Doesn't Quite Look Like Mikey's Kid ! 

26 minutes ago, Jody said:

I Thought Maybe That Kid Was Mikey Day's Kid Like When He Was With His Kid I

I didn't think it was Mikey's kid, but the thought that it was a kid who had some connection through his parents was definitely in my head.

• Love 1

Thought there were more hits than misses, Dafoe was great.

16 hours ago, vb68 said:

Katy Perry really has a mushroom theme going on. I enjoyed the slow version of the second song.

I think it was more an 'Alice in Wonderland' theme; but yes, focused on the mushroom part.

16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

...  And of course I loved Bowen and Aidy as the Trend Forecasters.  ...

This was great, I think it should be a recurring bit!

"I thought Ivanka was the sister of failure?" -- *snort*

Edited by Trini
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:
3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I thought the kid in this was really good.  I wonder where they found him.

That kid was an amazing little actor:  great sense of comedic timing.  I haven’t seen a child actor that good in quite awhile.

“Now I’m Up” is my new anthem.  Talk about speaking to my very soul! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, vb68 said:

I wish I didn't relate to "Now I'm Up" so very much.

Those dogs were precious, especially Pigeon the one who desperately wanted to kiss.

Both were my favorite skits of the night. 

Was I the only one that thought of Belushi at the “Samurai Airfryer” commercial in “Now I’m Up”?

Willem DaFoe was funnier than I expected him to be. Come back any time!

• Love 7

Willem was a blast, and committed to everything they gave him. I didn't want him to just get Christopher Walken-type parts  (although the chair-throwing sketch at the end, which was very Walken, was one of my favorite sketches of the night), but I didn't really want him to be wasted in roles like dog show announcer. My favorite parts were the Nugenix sketch, which he was very very funny in, as was Kyle and Kenan (and Mikey's "I can get very hard" cracked me up), and, while the sketch itself wasn't for me (how many times have they used those Beauty and the Beast costumes?), he was fantastic as Belle's father...truly fearless.  I hope he can come back again, and maybe get more material showcasing him.

Peyton Manning has barely missed a beat since the time he hosted SNL. I read that he doesn't want to host again, which I can respect, but I'm glad he did this cameo, even though I have no interest in Emily in Paris. I also enjoyed the Bowen and Aidy commentary much more than I had expected - they were just having such a good time and for once it didn't seem like an ego trip. The part about the silent babies was very funny to me. 

I liked the "awake" song but I also feel like SNL has done this a lot in recent years...

I was happier with this episode than some like last week's because we got to see all of the cast. The newer cast members are such a breath of fresh air to me - they just want to be weird and strange and entertain us, and they don't get extended applause breaks just for existing. Andrew brightens just about any scene for me, and Aristotle really killed with his brief comic moment in the meeting.

JAJ is very talented but the political cold opens still wash over me. I'm glad he got a big audience reaction moment in that meeting sketch, going on about updates. 

I wish they'd go back to just having the host in the monologue, even if the part with Aidy and Mikey wasn't too bad. 

I've seen the dirty news sketches so many times now I can almost write them myself. 

Very happy to see PDD get back on the show, and this was one of my favorite of their shorts.

This was a good episode to go on hiatus with - it left me wanting to see more of the group, and not being happy for the month off.

Full goodnights:

Dress report:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiveFromNewYork/comments/sg2irh/snl_dress_report_willem_dafoekaty_perry/

• Love 10

I can get behind waging psychological warfare on autocrats via social media. Vicious girls high school juniors sounds about right for it.

Count me as another person who had no idea Willem Dafoe was from Wisconsin. I always thought he was a dyed in the wool New Yorker, like his character in the tenants’ meeting sketch. 

Katy Perry’s backup dancers and their costumes… wow. I love it when a performer really knows how to put on a show, even in the limited SNL stage area. Off the top of my head, Billie Eilish and Megan Thee Stallion maximized the space for their performances, too. 

Edited by ahisma
spelling
  • Love 10

It was so fun and unusual to see Willem Dafoe doing comedy!  As a Wisconsin native, I got a kick out of the Wisconsin “audience members” and his response.  (Although Aidy sounded a little more southern than Wisconsin in a few words.)

Enjoyed most of the show.  Didn’t understand the mushroom theme in Katie’s performances, nor the red pants, but I guess that’s Katie.

• Love 4

Sir Willem Dafoe!

For those of you arguing that Emily in Paris is so bad - that's part of the point.  That and a manly man footballer like Peyton Manning would never watch that instead of manly man football.

Every musical guest should find out what Katy Perry's team did to actually get good audio.  First time in years.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Same here

Ditto.

As for the rest of the episode, pretty mixed bag IMO with more misses than hits. Did like the influencers, and Ivanka as the sister of failure was one of the best one liners ever.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, vb68 said:

I didn't think it was Mikey's kid, but the thought that it was a kid who had some connection through his parents was definitely in my head.

He had red hair, right? I think I thought he was connected to Tim Herlihy (sp?).

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Trini said:

I think it was more an 'Alice in Wonderland' theme; but yes, focused on the mushroom part.

Yeah, I probably should have been paying closer attention. That never occurred to me, but it makes sense.

The cast seemed very excited during that goodbye clip. Not sure how much was for Willem and how much was that they are getting a month break. It's rare that they bounce up and down like that.  I think they really liked having him host.

5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Peyton Manning has barely missed a beat since the time he hosted SNL. I read that he doesn't want to host again, which I can respect, but I'm glad he did this cameo, even though I have no interest in Emily in Paris.

It's interesting. I've heard that as well that he never wants to host again. I don't understand the reasoning for that, especially as it's fairly obvious that he has the esteemed  Friend of the Show status. That's been clear since the last Anniversary Show.  It shows that everyone there loves him. (And not just for football reasons.)

I really do think this episode was one of the best of the season so far.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

The high point for me was WU when Peyton Manning was introduced and it turned out to be the real Peyton and not a cast member impersonator. I've never seen EIP but that didn't matter, the point was Peyton was watching some romcom chick series instead of football. Then midway through, he's wearing a beret. Then his last statement was "Go Bills! They're still in it, right?" Just hilarious, and that made his entire appearance more brilliant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
14 hours ago, meatball77 said:

Emily in Paris is just inoffensive and stupid enough to be entertaining.  It's got lots of fun clothes and pretty scenery and it's stupid.

It has some pretty offensive cultural stereotypes, but Paris is always sunny and bright (as if!), so it's very pretty to look at.

3 hours ago, ahisma said:

Count me as another person who had no idea Willem Dafoe was from Wisconsin.

I'm from Wisconsin, so I knew this. No one did a good Wisconsin—excuse me, Wizgahnsun—accent. Moffat had the vowels all wrong, Aidy's was too weak, and Dafoe's was more Canadian.

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I remember the days when Times Square was full of pimps and hookers.

And every movie theater showed porn.

Aidy's lip color as the fashion influencer was tremendous.

Michael Che! It's pronounced clitoris!

1 hour ago, vb68 said:

I don't understand the reasoning for that

Maybe he's following his heart. ;-)

• Love 3