Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

He's choosing to take a stand for what he believes is right for him, and he's willing to sacrifice his job for it.  

Apparently he’s not willing to make the sacrifice since he is now suing them over it.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

It's possible that the Catholic faith isn't all that defines him.  Maybe he has convictions that go beyond the Catholic church.   However, I'm sure that many people taking a religious exemption are just using it for an excuse, but it's not for me to judge.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  He doesn't want the vaccine.  He's trying to use the out that is available, and I don't blame him or other people for that.  

Again, his body, his choice.  He's choosing to take a stand for what he believes is right for him, and he's willing to sacrifice his job for it.  

He is applying for the religious exemption based on his "devout" Catholic faith, so he actually is exactly defining himself through his Catholic faith in this instance.  Nothing about Catholicism is anti-vaccine, and I have zero doubt that his refusal to get the vaccine has nothing whatsoever to do with his "deeply held" religious beliefs.

Moreover, he's apparently not willing to make this sacrifice since, as @Crs97 pointed out, he's suing to get his job back/an easy payday.  He wants to have his cake and eat it, too, so, no, screw him.  He and the many others like him who are trying to abuse the religious exemption don't deserve the benefit of any doubt.

• Love 15
On 10/21/2021 at 8:08 AM, ChitChat said:

More power to him.  ;) 

Well, he’s gonna need that because there’s no way in hell he’s gonna win that lawsuit. He was fired for cause. 

ETA: From reading the linked article, he is arguing discrimination. LOL. “Unvaccinated people” are not a protected class. There is nothing in the Catholic religion that prevents him from receiving vaccinations. Has he received other common vaccinations? If so, his case is going to be thrown out —for multiple reasons— once he steps inside the courtroom. He better use his devout Catholic beliefs to pray the judge doesn’t laugh him out of court.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Well, he’s gonna need that because there’s no way in hell he’s gonna win that lawsuit. He was fired for cause. 

ETA: From reading the linked article, he is arguing discrimination. LOL. “Unvaccinated people” are not a protected class. There is nothing in the Catholic religion that prevents him from receiving vaccinations. Has he received other common vaccinations? If so, he case is going to be thrown out —for multiple reasons— once he steps inside the courtroom. He better use his devout Catholic beliefs to pray the judge doesn’t laugh him out of court.

Moreover, since Washington State is a public university, he was a state employee and, therefore, was subject to any and all statewide mandates, COVID-related or otherwise, for employees of the state of Washington as conditions of employment.  He has absolutely, positively no legal leg to stand on.

I sincerely hope he's not only laughed out of court, but also fined and forced to pay all of the legal costs associated with this frivolous lawsuit.

• Love 8

Wtf is going on with Oregon's uniforms? I turned to watch them playing UCLA and thought one of the players had blood or mud splattered across his chest. Turns out, it's the entire uniform. It looks like someone took a paintbrush and randomly flicked it at their white uniforms. 

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Wtf is going on with Oregon's uniforms? I turned to watch them playing UCLA and thought one of the players had blood or mud splattered across his chest. Turns out, it's the entire uniform. It looks like someone took a paintbrush and randomly flicked it at their white uniforms. 

I saw someone refer to them as "cookies and cream" after the uniform announcement video was released.

• LOL 4
55 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

LOL. The end of the Colorado State game is one for the ages.

Not as much as the end of the PA St/ IN one.  Geez, 9OT?!  Neither team could get it in from the 3yrd line?

Ok, I take that back, apparently one time, they both got in, hence the 18-18 score.  But still, all those attempts so close to the goal, and each managed to get in once, before IN finally pulled off the upset.

• LOL 5
18 hours ago, roamyn said:

Not as much as the end of the PA St/ IN one.  Geez, 9OT?!  Neither team could get it in from the 3yrd line?

Ok, I take that back, apparently one time, they both got in, hence the 18-18 score.  But still, all those attempts so close to the goal, and each managed to get in once, before IN finally pulled off the upset.

Like they say on Reddit, if you didn't like that you don't like the B1g Ten 🤣 That was the most Big Ten-ish game that ever came out of the B1g Ten.

Meanwhile I was forced to root for Iowa State to beat #8 and I still feel like I need a shower. It did make Iowa move up in the rankings so it was worth it.

• LOL 5
46 minutes ago, Popples said:

Tennessee sues to never play Alabama in football again.

You could substitute Univ of Xichigan for TN and The Ohio State University for AL.  Except it’s more like 15 years.

• LOL 2
On 10/23/2021 at 1:31 PM, emma675 said:

Reporters said the uniforms were supposed to resemble duck eggs.  How quaint.  Another day, another uniform.  

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, woodstock said:

So basically he is anti-Vax

Probably not even anti-vax (he's going to have to answer as to what other vaccinations he has or hasn't had in his attempt to fabricate a religious objection), just anti-this vaccine. 

He never mentioned religion, just spouted off a bunch of batshit crazy conspiracy theories and non-existent side effects he'd read on the internet, had those calmly and factually refuted by one of the state's foremost experts on vaccines, someone who "completed a postdoctoral fellowship in vaccine immunology, leads disease control programs in Africa and Latin America and has been heavily involved in WSU's COVID-19 testing program and vaccine rollout", and still decided he was going to refuse vaccination - for, of course, what multiple staff members told ESPN was "about politics".

Since that wouldn't get him anywhere with the university, he - probably after talking to an attorney - decided to go with religion.  The overwhelming number of religious objection requests have been granted by the university, but he didn't get one, so clearly his evidence was lacking.  So his stupid, selfish ass got fired.  Good riddance.  And way to let your team down, Coach.

6 hours ago, woodstock said:

The story regarding the student who lost her father to Covid was sad.

Very, especially that her dad was one of the many saying "I should have gotten vaccinated" from his deathbed and that she then stood on that field while her late father's impact on her life was publicly honored, realizing that right over on the sidelines is a guy who can hear this tragic tale of a death that didn't have to happen, "But this isn't going to change his mind, and that hurt".

• Love 10
On 10/27/2021 at 10:33 PM, ChitChat said:

It's not my place to judge Rolovich or anybody else's decision as to what they think is best for themselves.

Oh, I will absolutely judge Rolovich’s decision. If he has a medical reason for not getting the vaccine, then why not say that? That is not what he is arguing. Any credible doctor who has a patient that has no medical reason not to get the vaccine should tell their patient to get it. Otherwise, they are performing medical malpractice, IMO. His reasoning is religious, which is why I have no sympathy for him. His religion is not anti-vaccine.

• Love 8

This certainly has been an exciting season so far of both college & NFL football, especially with having the fans back in the stadium.   I think the Bama fans were about the loudest I've ever heard them at the last game.  It's exciting to see all of the fans from every team share their enthusiasm (even when I'm rooting against them!)  It's encouraging to see that even though not all colleges or NFL teams are requiring Covid testing or proof of vaccines to enter their stadiums, we're not seeing super-spreader events.  Given that we've had millions of people gathered together over the past 2 months, this gives me hope!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

That Michigan/MSU game. Holy cow. 

I saw a tweet that showed the helmet of UofX saying “Big Brother”, Sparty’s helmet as “Little Brother”, then tOSU’s smoky gray helmet as “Daddy”

I’m not on Twitter, or I would copy & paste it here, cause it was so funny.

Mel Tucker has more top 10 wins in two years, than Khaki Pants does in 7!  LOLOLOLOL!  I LOVE IT

Now our defense better getting designing plays to stop Kenneth Walker on 11/20

15 hours ago, xaxat said:

FSU/Clemson was a really bad beat if you had FSU.

I feel bad for the FSU fans.  I'm in an area with a mix of Bama/Auburn/FSU fans, and every time the FSU fans think they have some hope, they are usually disappointed.  My Chiropractor will not be happy tomorrow!

• LOL 2
On 11/3/2021 at 9:57 AM, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm pretty sure they were drunk when they came up with that list. Everybody is angry on the CFB reddit group, so much that Colin Robinson would have a field day over there.

Yeah.  OK, GA & MI St are the only correct rankings.  OR lost to Stanford, whip his is a far worse loss than tOSU.  AL lost to TX A&M, which was unranked at the time.  

And don’t even get me started on their Group of Five prejudices.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Yeah.  OK, GA & MI St are the only correct rankings.  OR lost to Stanford, whip his is a far worse loss than tOSU.  AL lost to TX A&M, which was unranked at the time.  

I think it’s important to stress that the committee doesn’t care about the AP Top 25 or the Coaches Poll. They are irrelevant to the CFP Committee because they use different criteria. Now, if you want to talk about overhauling the whole thing, I am more than happy to entertain that conversation. However, in the realm of how the committee works currently, AL being number 2 makes sense. All that matters at this point is that AL lost to the #14 ranked team. All that being said, I’m not going to act as if I wasn’t surprised when I saw them at number 2. I was thinking three or four.

ETA: I do believe there’s a bias against Go5 teams, and I am not sure how that can be overcome. I think a lot of this shit would be fixed if we expanded the playoffs to 8 teams.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I think a lot of this shit would be fixed if we expanded the playoffs to 8 teams.

It's kind of funny though, because no matter how much they expand it, there will always be those teams that just miss it and will say it should be expanded to 10, then to 12, and on and on.....!!  At least we have 4 now.  I think it's a step in the right direction.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

It's kind of funny though, because no matter how much they expand it, there will always be those teams that just miss it and will say it should be expanded to 10, then to 12, and on and on.....!!  At least we have 4 now.  I think it's a step in the right direction.  

At this point, I can no longer even say that. It has never made sense to me why you’d have 4 teams competing for the national championship when you have five conferences in the P5. That inherently means a conference is left out. Everyone hates it. I’ve yet to meet a person who has said, “Four teams is perfect!” That said, I take your point that people will always complain.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

I’ve yet to meet a person who has said, “Four teams is perfect!” That said, I take your point that people will always complain.

Maybe they wanted to see how this format would work out before trying to expand it.  I have no idea if they're even thinking about doing that.  I should ask my boss.  He goes to some of the scrimmages at Bama and sometimes gets to sit in and listen to Saban address the media and the members of whatever club he's in.   I'm rolling my eyes while I'm typing this because my boss absolutely lives for Bama football!  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but for about 6 months out of the year he is laser-focused on college football.  We always joke that if there's ever a question about anything, he needs to ask "what would Saban do?"   :)   FWIW:  I say that as a Bama & Saban fan, but it's fun to make fun of our boss over his obsession with the whole thing.  

8 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I think it’s important to stress that the committee doesn’t care about the AP Top 25 or the Coaches Poll. They are irrelevant to the CFP Committee because they use different criteria. Now, if you want to talk about overhauling the whole thing, I am more than happy to entertain that conversation. However, in the realm of how the committee works currently, AL being number 2 makes sense. All that matters at this point is that AL lost to the #14 ranked team. All that being said, I’m not going to act as if I wasn’t surprised when I saw them at number 2. I was thinking three or four.

And the criteria seems to be that Alabama is credited with losing to the #14-ranked team while Cincinnati isn't really credited with beating the #10-ranked team.  I've yet to see a reasonable argument on that one.  Oregon might've beaten the #5-ranked team and was credited for that, but it lost to an unranked team and seemingly wasn't punished for it.  We can argue all day about whether this team or that team is ranked too high or too low, but these are the rankings right now, and they're pretty galling.

The truth is that this committee is driven by money, and ESPN pays a lot of money to the SEC for the exclusive rights to air marquee SEC games; therefore, it behooves everyone to keep ESPN happy and have as many SEC teams ranked as possible and increase that easily manipulatable strength of schedule factor so that one SEC team – two, if possible – can be guaranteed to make the playoffs.  No G5 team can ever actually make the playoffs, and it's bullshit.  The only argument on that I've heard this year is that, well, Georgia or Alabama would crush Cincinnati (it's the same argument every time), as if most of the actual playoff games under this four-team system haven't been really one-sided affairs.  Truthfully, no one really knows how Cincinnati would do in the playoffs because Cincinnati is not allowed to make the playoffs and prove themselves.  They've so far done everything they were told they needed to do (go undefeated, have a marquee out-of-conference win), and it's still not enough because the committee will always move the goalposts for the G5 teams.  It's such gross hypocrisy.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Oregon has no business in the top 4 either. And their win today was much closer than the final score would have you believe. They actually trailed well into the 2nd quarter.

Alabama was no great shakes tonight, either. We won, and I’m still disappointed. I feel like a parent who tells their child that they aren’t mad, just disappointed.

Bill O’Brien needs to be fired. Pete Golding, too, because what the fuck?

8 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Alabama was no great shakes tonight, either.

To be fair though, things really went to hell after we lost our Center.  He plays a vital role on the offense, and his absence had a cascading effect (not blocking well for the QB; snaps that weren't so good).   I'm not trying to make excuses for them, just pointing out what we were noticing.  Also, Bama always gets everybody else's  'A' game.  Our guys have to be at their best, especially against a rival like LSU. 

Each year is different for every team, and I  don't think we're quite up to snuff this year.  I hate to say that, but I've got to be real about it!  If we end up playing Georgia, we sure can't play them like we did LSU.  We had several injuries last night, so most importantly, I hope those guys are okay.  

• Love 1

USC has enough problems, and I'm concerned Jaxson Dart is going to add to that by giving himself whiplash flipping his hair out of his face the way he does.

Adjust your headband or cut your hair, dude.

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, ChitChat said:

To be fair though, things really went to hell after we lost our Center.  He plays a vital role on the offense, and his absence had a cascading effect (not blocking well for the QB; snaps that weren't so good).   I'm not trying to make excuses for them, just pointing out what we were noticing.  Also, Bama always gets everybody else's  'A' game.  Our guys have to be at their best, especially against a rival like LSU. 

Thank you for this explanation.  I was wondering why offense seemed so off after the center left.  I just wish Bama would get last night's defense (which IMHO seemed to be much better toward the second half of the game) and the better offense we had in earlier games.  And you're right - everybody is gunning for Bama all the time.  It's like the team (that been so good in the past) everybody loves to hate.  People here in South Florida are still hating Nick Saban after he left the Dolphins for Alabama (in 2006!).  If we could just patchwork the stronger parts of the team together from different games, I wouldn't be getting a stomachache during the games. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

People here in South Florida are still hating Nick Saban after he left the Dolphins for Alabama (in 2006!).  If we could just patchwork the stronger parts of the team together from different games, I wouldn't be getting a stomachache during the games. 

LSU fans hate him too!  Luckily, I don't think he really cares.  He's too focused on the task at hand.  Some of our games have been pretty tough to watch.  It's so unlike them to be unable to close out a game in the 4th quarter, but we kept giving the ball back to LSU.  Here 'ya go!  Try again!!  Ugh.

I have zero respect for Coach Orgeron.  From what I've read, he's too caught up in his personal life and hasn't been as focused on the team.  That's what happens when men think with their little head.  ;)  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:
10 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Thank you for this explanation.  I was wondering why offense seemed so off after the center left.  I just wish Bama would get last night's defense (which IMHO seemed to be much better toward the second half of the game) and the better offense we had in earlier games.  And you're right - everybody is gunning for Bama all the time.  It's like the team (that been so good in the past) everybody loves to hate.  People here in South Florida are still hating Nick Saban after he left the Dolphins for Alabama (in 2006!).  If we could just patchwork the stronger parts of the team together from different games, I wouldn't be getting a stomachache during the games. 

Yes, thanks, @ChitChat. I was on a plane and missed the first eight minutes of the game, so I wasn’t aware that we lost our starting center. I don’t know if y’all watch FunnyMaine’s video series “How Bama Fans Watched Week…”, but in today’s episode, he said that he’s seen nine different versions of the same team. That statement couldn’t be more accurate.

I still need Bill O’Brien fired, though. That wildcat play with Bolden had me HOT. I would’ve fired him on the spot.

Edited by PepSinger
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

I was on a plane and missed the first eight minutes of the game, so I wasn’t aware that we lost our starting center. I don’t know if y’all watch FunnyMaine’s video series “How Bama Fans Watched Week…”, but in today’s episode, he said that he’s seen nine different versions of the same team. That statement couldn’t be more accurate.

The first quarter was pretty rough to watch.  The guys started to bounce back, but then the wheels started coming off in the 4th quarter.  I pace during games like that, and have to leave the room many times!   Of course LSU brings everything they've got when they play Bama.  They tried a trick play too.  Funny how teams have to resort to tricks when playing Bama!!

Yes!  FunnyMaine is quite the character!  "Nine different versions of the same team," no truer words were ever spoken!  ;)  

• Love 1