Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Speaking of Jimbo, LSU might try to make a run at him again, but I bet he says no. Then they might go after Tom Herman, who might say yes and that might put an end to Houston's bid for the Big 12.

Herman's not going anywhere just yet.  He started his career in TX and has repeatedly said he likes living in TX.  Personally, I'd like him to stay.  It's nice to see other divisions getting good recognition, and I'd be bummed to see a coaching alum of tOSU go to the SEC.

Yeah, coaches have said those kinds of things before. It's funny how they change their minds when boosters start writing seven-figure checks.

I'd be bummed to see a coaching alum of tOSU go to the SEC.

Urban Meyer did that once. Saban was also an OSU assistant...

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Urban Meyer did that once. Saban was also an OSU assistant...

Yeah, I should've said another, but I don't count Saban, since he went to That School Up North.  And he spells his name wrong.   LOL

Tom Herman has a history of coaching in the state of Texas.  That, along with Houston most likely joining the Big 12 will give him an incentive to stay.  But as said, we'll see what happens when schools like LSU start throwing big money at him.  He's done an amazing job with Houston, building them up so quickly.

Now that all the games have been played, here's what I learned in week 1:

• This week proved once again that preseason rankings don't mean jack.  Thee Top 10 teams fell, including two in the Top 5, while other teams struggled against teams they should have no problem beating.
  • This was not a good week for the SEC.  The East is still terrible, but the West didn't fare much better, Alabama and Texas A&M notwithstanding.
  • The Pac-12 didn't do so hot either, especially on the national stage.
  • The Big Ten had a good week highlighted by Wisconsin's win over LSU.  There were still a few hiccups (looking at you Rutgers and Northwestern).
  • The ACC, which usually does terribly in non-conference play, also had a good week, Virginia notwithstanding.
  • Glad my guys won, but what a chokejob by Ole Miss.  When you have a 22-point lead over a team like Florida State, you don't take your foot off the gas pedal.
  • Deondre Francois had a great coming out party.  Hope he can keep it up for the season.
  • Tom Herman isn't gonna last long at Houston.  One of the bigger schools will snatch him up.
Edited by Evolution101
23 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Nah, he's not a USC guy. I'm assuming Kiffin got Sark the interview.

Yeah, all these troubled Pac-12 coaches end up at Alabama for some reason. Let me tell you the story about Tosh Lupoi. Tosh played at Cal and was a teammate of Aaron Rodgers'. He would go on to become a graduate assistant at Cal, then a top recruiter and assistant coach. (his video game-playing skills really impressed recruits. Seriously). Tosh was named by Scout as national recruiter of the year. He caught the eye of then-Washington head coch Steve Sarkisian, who offered Tosh like half a million (and, allegedly, a boat) to jump to the Huskies. So on MLK Day 2012, with signing day looming, Tosh jumped to Washington and took one of Cal's top recruits with him. (That top recruit was Shaq Thompson, whose brother played at Cal. Shaq Thompson was last year's No. 1 pick by the Carolina Panthers.)  When Sark was hired by USC, he was going to take Tosh with him, but Tosh got embroiled in a controversy where he allegedly offered a recruit money under a coffee cup (the NCAA later cleared him). The new Washington staff didn't want the Tosh baggage, so guess where he ended up? At Alabama, as a "defensive analyst." Last year, Nick Saban promoted Tosh to OLB coach. Tosh has become one of Saban's top recruiters. And I think it was Lane Kiffin who brought him to Alabama, and now Kiffin is reuniting Tosh with Sark.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Evolution101 said:

• Deondre Francois had a great coming out party.  Hope he can keep it up for the season.
  •  

I was happy that Francois pulled it together and led the comeback win. There's nothing worse than seeing a kid pegged as the Second Coming only for him to have a bad game and be trashed the next day. 

In regards to Sarkisian, what's the deal with Alabama and all these "analysts"? Are they given puff positions because of their recruiting ability? I'm having a tough time reading between the lines to figure out what's going on here.

10 hours ago, roamyn said:

Yeah, I should've said another, but I don't count Saban, since he went to That School Up North.  And he spells his name wrong.   LOL

Saban coached at Michigan State, not Michigan. I assume you can say the name of the state when it is attached to another university?

The preseason ratings are so silly.  Wisconsin wins and goes from unranked to #10 this week? I cheer for Wisconsin when they aren't playing my team, but that seems a rather extreme jump.

This weekend is a good one to have other plans on Saturday. But the 17th looks great again!

6 minutes ago, AndreaK1041 said:

Saban coached at Michigan State, not Michigan. I assume you can say the name of the state when it is attached to another university?

Not during college football season.

PS thanks for correcting on Saban.  I knew it was one of those two, but guessed on MU.  (I can type the acronym though!  My brother still won't call Lake Michigan by that name.  He calls it Lake Ohio State, which is a tad extreme IMO.)

Edited by roamyn

The 1st week rankings are in:  1) Alabama, 2) FSU, 3) Clemson, 4) tOSU, 5) Houston, 6) that school up North.

Some ESPN pundits are already pitting Bama against the Buckeyes for the National Championship.  Which is ridiculously early.  Even tho OSU lost to Houston, I still pick them as a challenge for tOSU to get by.  We'll talk after that.

7 hours ago, roamyn said:

PS thanks for correcting on Saban.  I knew it was one of those two, but guessed on MU.  

UM (for University of Michigan), not MU.

I wish they'd just do away with preseason ratings altogether. I get why they won't, but it just seems so stupid. Even ranking the teams after week 1 seems sort of silly. Wisconsin went from being unranked to being the No. 10 team in the AP poll, which -- overreact much? I'm a huge Badger fan and even I don't think they should be that high. I mean they played well, but LSU also had its hand in that loss. And if Wisconsin is that good, then should LSU have tumbled that far in the poll? It all makes me dizzy and makes no sense at all. 

• Love 4

Art Briles acknowledges he 'made some mistakes' in his time at Baylor

"So I understand that I made some mistakes and for that I'm sorry. But I'm not trying to plead for people's sympathy. I'm just stating that, 'Hey, I made some mistakes. I was wrong. I'm sorry. I'm gonna learn. I'm gonna do better.'"

I think I had that.

On 9/5/2016 at 1:01 PM, xaxat said:

I guess Art Briles is next.

ETA That was more ambiguous than I intended. I mean  Briles is next up on the redemption tour in general. Even though he clearly thinks nothing at Baylor was his fault. 

I agree with Minneapple.  I am also a huge Badger fan and I think ranking Wisconsin #10 is silly.  Perhaps LSU was vastly overrated?  Maybe by the end of the season that win will carry no more weight than a win over the 3rd or 4th Big Ten team.   I don't think the Badgers can really be evaluated until they play MSU, UM, and OSU.  And Bart Houston definitely can't spot those guys 7 to 14 points. 

For all of the crowing ESPN is doing about Tennessee/Va Tech at Bristol, it looks like it will be one of the worst viewing experiences for fans ever. Sure, they'll be a lot of people there, but they'll all be about a half mile away from the action.

ETA That Bristol setup is worse than I thought. I'm as close to the action as the people with the "endzone" seats. . . and I live in New York.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
On 9/10/2016 at 10:25 AM, xaxat said:

For all of the crowing ESPN is doing about Tennessee/Va Tech at Bristol, it looks like it will be one of the worst viewing experiences for fans ever. Sure, they'll be a lot of people there, but they'll all be about a half mile away from the action.

ETA That Bristol setup is worse than I thought. I'm as close to the action as the people with the "endzone" seats. . . and I live in New York.

NPR had a story about transforming the track to a football field.  Apparently, UT's home stadium, stands and all, would fit inside the track at Bristol.

From the story:

And if you're wondering why the schools and the speedway would go to all this trouble, SB Nation estimates that the game — while it might be "weird and awkward" to watch in person, and tough to see even the Colossus from the nosebleed seats — will make "a ton of money." Tickets are currently selling for hundreds of dollars each.

Well, if the Buckeyes manage to beat the Sooners next week, then the Big 12 is finished for the season regarding the CFP.

Though I think the Cowboys should be retroactively awarded a win.  Even if that Hail Mary was an awesome play.

tOSU v OU delayed until 9EST

Ole Miss should've won that game.  CO did a good job showing That Team Up North's weaknesses.  Wish they coulda pulled it out.

Man, we should've had at least 50 pts in that game.  The refs screwed up big time.  Several grabs at helmets, a couple questionable tackles, and giving a TD to OU even tho the receiver dropped the ball 2 YARDS before the goal line.

Edited by roamyn

Another great weekend of college football.

I think this year the Big Ten might have better teams than the SEC outside of Alabama.  The SEC is looking more and more like Alabama and everyone else.

Texas lost so that means the Big 12 is pretty much done this season.

I hope Louisville and Houston can remain undefeated this season when they play each other.

Edited by benteen
2 hours ago, benteen said:

I think this year the Big Ten might have better teams than the Big Ten outside of Alabama.  The SEC is looking more and more like Alabama and everyone else.

I assume you meant SEC there. And I'm not sure about that. OSU's legit, but we'll see about the Michigan schools. Iowa lost at home to a FCS school (OK, the best FCS school, but still) and Wisconsin struggled with a bad Sun Belt school. 

12 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I assume you meant SEC there. And I'm not sure about that. OSU's legit, but we'll see about the Michigan schools. Iowa lost at home to a FCS school (OK, the best FCS school, but still) and Wisconsin struggled with a bad Sun Belt school. 

But we still have three top 10 teams, possibly 4 w/WI.  And 2 top 5 teams.

Yeah, it's early and That Team Up North struggled, while MISt let ND back in the game, but still....AL had a fight on their hands with Ole Miss.

I would've loved to hear Saban's rant at halftime. 

ABC didn't even want Michigan State-Wisconsin; they chose Michigan-Penn State as the 3:30 game. The game between two top-15 teams will be a noon kick on BTN. I mean, I get it. Michigan State is perpetually Michigan's little brother and Wisconsin is not a big national name. Not as big as Penn State or Michigan anyway.

But if the football gods are just (I know, they probably aren't), Wisconsin will beat MSU and Michigan and then College Gameday will be in Madison for the Ohio State game.

• Love 1

Seriously?!? That's pretty awful. I would blame that on the size of the alumni bases, but it's clearly the wrong call by ABC. Maybe they saw how bad Michigan played this week and thought they had a chance to show a bad Top 5 team loss this week. 

ETA: It looks like Wisconsin-Michigan State is at noon, so the competing game that pushed them to BTN is FSU-USF.  That seems even worse.

Edited by AndreaK1041

So here's what I learned in week 3:

• I knew that high ranking was too good to be true.  My guys were exposed big time against Louisville.  Time to go back to the drawing board.  I have to give props to the Cards, they had Florida State by the throat and didn't let go until the game was over.  That's how it's done, especially against a big-name opponent.
  • North Dakota State is 5-0 against Power 5 teams since 2010.
  • Oklahoma QB Austin Kendall had some words about Ohio State's defense prior to the game.  Maybe now he'll think twice before making that same mistake.
  • Wisconsin clearly doesn't deserve its Top 10 ranking.
  • With Cincinnati now out of the way, Houston should be undefeated until November.
  • The Big 12 is officially out of playoff contention.

I was traveling last week so I missed most of last week's game, but did catch the end of Arkansas/TCU.  What an ending.

I am shocked, stunned, amazed, and THRILLED by the Wisconsin @ MSU game.  Is this the same team I saw struggling against Georgia State last week?  I think the Badgers have found a QB.   Never can have too many of those shots of D'Antonio shaking his head on the sideline, looking like he's about to cry.   The MSU o-line hasn't been able to deal with the Badger defense at all. 

• Love 2