Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Well that was a bummer of a Saturday.

Clemson won a hard fought game (I live in NC now, so I was rooting for UNC), AL won (though they looked vulnerable), and MSU lucked out again.

I guess I'll have to vote for MSU in the CFP, though very, very reluctantly. I think I'd like to see OK win, though.

And I read on ESPN yesterday that the Rose Bowl committee said they were going to offer for tOSU regardless of the loser.

Edited by roamyn

Not sure what you read, but the Rose Bowl chairman said they would take the team ranked highest in the CFP rankings.

I read an article written by an analyst who said that. I think it might've been Heather D. So maybe she was making it up or wishing.

It would be interesting & fun if they picked tOSU & OR, though.

Here's what I learned in week 14:

• We know what teams will be in the playoff.  Now it's just a matter of where they'll be seeded and what bowl they'll play in on New Year's Eve.
  • Michigan, Ohio State, now Iowa.  Michigan State sure has developed a knack for winning big-time games at the last second.
  • The Pac-12 will be shut out of the playoff.
  • With Kansas State becoming bowl eligible, there'll be one less 5-7 team playing in the postseason.
  • Texas now has two wins over Top 15 teams, though part of that may have to do with the fact that Baylor was down to its 4th string QB.

Only one game left in the regular season: Army-Navy.

I hope there is a replay of the MSU-Iowa game this week.  I saw the highlights, but I'd like to see the game.  I was watching scores non-discretely on my phone at a party and broke into a huge grin when MSU scored at the end.  Go Spartans, all the way. I hope Oklahoma and MSU really take it to Bama and Clemson however the matchups sort themselves out.

I loved this season. It helps when your team is actually competitive again, but I really enjoyed watching games in lots of conferences this year. College football is by far my favorite sport season of the year.

Edited by AndreaK1041

The playoff games have been set:

Orange Bowl: #1 Clemson vs. #4 Oklahoma

Cotton Bowl: #2 Alabama vs. #3 Michigan State

Oh great. The best game is the closest to midnight on New  Year's Eve. Well, at least I live on the West Coast and I can DVR Anderson Cooper and Kahy Griffin.

It sucks that there had to be 3 great games on at the same time.

But I guess 1) Nobody wants to do try the noon ET championship game, 2) the Pac-12 didn't want to again do a Friday night championship game and 3) nobody wanted to go against the SEC Championship game.

So we had 3 championship games at the same time.

I reocrded the Big 10 and Pac-12, expecting the ACC to not be interesting. Then I saw the  ACC score. So there was a lot of going back and forth. But I primarily watched the Big 10 championship game, and I really enjoyed the Gusgasms.

(It's odd that Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt would do the Big 10 Championship, since they spend most of the year doing Pac-12 and Big-12 games.)

Edited by nowandlater

Was the playoff schedule like this last year? I'm also on the west coast so the games will be done before most parties, but it seems like a weird time.  The second game is going to end around 11:30 EST. 

This 4 hour ESPN show is a bit much.  I want to see the full top 25 rankings and the bowl announcements, but I really should not sit here all morning.

• Love 2

The Pac-12 championship went pretty much the way I expected it to -- USC looking at first to be dead in the water, coming back to make it a game, and then ultimately losing.  Fitting end to a very frustrating season, but the fact they were even in the championship game with their record means I can't huff about it.  What's important is we beat UCLA, heh.  (It had been three losses in a row, and we lost to them all four years I was there in the '90s, so I'm glad this year's seniors were spared a similar fate.)

Go OU!  They're the only team I care about among the top four.  I hate Nick Saban, and the SEC in general, so I'll be rooting for Michigan St. in that game ... despite the fact I've probably watched a combined lifetime total of an hour's worth of Michigan State play.  I've just never been a Big Ten viewer for whatever reason; geographical, probably.  I'm Pac-12 (where I grew up and attended college), Big 12 (where my dad did the same), and then some scattered games.

The New Year's Eve thing is interesting.  I'm on the West Coast, so even if I went out on NYE (which I haven't since my early 20s; I just cannot deal with the crowds, jacked-up prices, and amateur drunks on the road), it wouldn't interfere.  (As it is, it doesn't interfere with my bubble bath and Thin Man marathon routine.)  But I'm curious to see East Coast ratings.

This 4 hour ESPN show is a bit much.  I want to see the full top 25 rankings and the bowl announcements, but I really should not sit here all morning.

Seriously! It's eating into my NFL viewing. I don't think it took the Vatican this long to elect the pope.

• Love 3
(edited)

Iowa to the Rose vs. Stanford.

Fiesta gets Ohio State vs. Notre Dame.

Also Peach: Houston vs. Florida State

Sugar: Ole Miss vs. Oklahoma State

More pairings rolling in:

Citrus: Michigan vs. Florida (fun game)

Outback: Northwestern vs. Tennessee

Sun: Miami vs. Washington State

Alamo: TCU vs. Oregon (another good one)

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 2

So Michigan and Wisconsin get Outback and Citrus I assume.  I also assume Michigan gets LSU for the Les Miles vs Michigan story.  I'd prefer Florida.

eta: Whoops, nope, it's Michigan vs Florida in the Citrus.  My dad is a Badger fan living in Madison for 25 years who grew up in Louisiana (Tulane though, not LSU).  Regardless, I bet he's going to be excited for that game.

OK edited again.  Northwestern is playing Tennessee in the Outback bowl.  I will not predict anything else as I am awful at guessing.

Edited by AndreaK1041

That Team Up North will win. I'm calling it now. ;-D

Fiesta isn't too shabby, though we haven't been to the Rose very much in the past two decades. And depending on ND's health status, and if tOSU decides to come to play, it should be a good game.

My brother lives in South Bend, he better be rooting for the Buckeyes!

I think Oklahoma wins it all.  They'll spread the hell out of Bama's defense in the National Title Game, leading to ESPN asking "Should we really consider Oklahoma the best team in the nation just because Alabama couldn't stop their offense?"  Also Saban will probably once again back a rule banning the hurry up offense.

Forty bowl games this year.

I honestly don't understand how people get so excited about "bowl season" and that many games.

ANd my alma mater, Indiana, at 6-6, is even in one of those, still don't care too much.

I do like the 4 team playoff though. Not much controversy this year about who is or should be in it. Much prefer it to the old system

Yeah, I don't feel the outrage for Stanford. They had two losses while the other teams had one. 

Closer to home the Golden Gophers are headed to Detroit for a marquee matchup with Central Michigan! That's got to get the boosters excited!

Nothing quite like Detroit at the end of December, I tell ya.

Forty bowl games are really too much. Can't we whittle 1/3 of those?

Compared to last year when OR was unstoppable and tOSU was in a tear, these teams seem pretty evenly matched.

Bama's been playing very well - but still had patches of vulnerability - since the loss to Ole Miss, Clemson's struggled the last 3 weeks, MSU keeps winning on a fluke or at the last second, and OK either shows up or doesn't.

Should be some good games.

I get annoyed when the talking heads say that Derrick Henry and Christian McCaffrey broke single season records held by Herschel Walker and Barry Sanders respectively without mentioning that Walker and Sanders didn't have the benefit of a twelfth game and conference championship.

Give Walker and Sanders those two additional games and Henry and McCaffrey are probably four/five hundred yards short of them.

• Love 4

I get annoyed when the talking heads say that Derrick Henry and Christian McCaffrey broke single season records held by Herschel Walker and Barry Sanders respectively without mentioning that Walker and Sanders didn't have the benefit of a twelfth game and conference championship.

Give Walker and Sanders those two additional games and Henry and McCaffrey are probably four/five hundred yards short of them.

To be fair, McCaffrey did it with less touches than Sanders. Plus, he sat out a lot of 4th quarters in blow out games. Guys is a stud in, what, 4 positions? Amazing to see him, and I hope he continues his dominance in the Rose Bowl.

• Love 1

Michigan State/Iowa was a good old school game.  Ferenz made a mistake by not allowing MSU to score early.  He tried to save time of the clock with the timeouts but when it hit 1:59 and first and goal, you let the other team score.  As good as Iowa's defense was playing, they hadn't stopped MSU's eight-plus minute drive and trying to keep them out of the endzone cost the team any shot of making a comeback.  Belichick would have done that and has done that.  He's not afraid to give ground to give his team a better shot of winning.  It's an old school mentality that costs teams games nowadays.

While I would have loved to have seen Stanford vs Ohio State, Iowa was the correct decision for the Rose Bowl.

Was really hoping to get Oklahoma vs Alabama in the first round but I suspect the bowl committee is hoping we'll get Oklahoma/Bama in the championship game.  They basically gave Alabama their best chance at getting to the finals by facing Michigan State, whom they match up better too.  Michigan State can definitely beat them though.  I think Clemson and Oklahoma would run Alabama off the field because Nick Saban can't deal with athletic offenses and refuses to adjust for them. 

I couldn't even read anything about the Iowa/Michigan State game until this morning, I was still so bummed. It was a hell of a game, and I give it up to the Spartans for coming out on top. It was one for the ages. Now, on to the Rose Bowl! And, of course I'll be rooting for the Spartans in their bowl game(s).

• Love 1

I can't believe South Carolina hired Will Muschamp as their next head coach.  Desmond Howard said it best...Muschamp had unlimited resources as Florida and failed.  He then made a bad defense at Auburn even worse. 

Now I hear his offensive coordinator is the same one he had in his final year at Florida, where the team went 4-8 and was absolutely putrid.  RichRod should have gotten the job.  Have fun South Carolina watching your team continue to stink while your coach throws childish temper tantrums on the sideline.

In fairness, Muschamp did have to clean up Meyer's mess.  But he still had the resources down in Florida to do a better job and he didn't.

Agreed about Sark.  He's not going to get another head coaching job after this and I suspect he realizes that.

I hope Sark loses. He was a mess- USC was decent with a good coach at their helm. He's just pathetic now.

I believe they said it was in his contract that he abstains from alcohol. We're nit talking a community college here, this is USC, and I'm pretty sure (sardonically) they have good attorneys.

They already gave him one free pass. There's no way the school loses

I don't like football at all and I'm not rah rah about the military but I always make it a point to watch Army/Navy and it's the only football game I ever watch.  The service academy guys are the best of the best, true students who also happen to be athletes and they're smarter and probably more accomplished already than I'll ever be.  I love the singing of each academy's anthem at the end of the game and I shed a few tears watching that part as I do each year.

For those of you in the know should Keenan Reynolds have been a serious Heisman contender?

• Love 1

For those of you in the know should Keenan Reynolds have been a serious Heisman contender?

Yes, because there really wasn't a dominant guy in the race.  It was a very wide open race, and I think most would agree that the top 5 were the 3 that got invites, Reynolds, and Baker Mayfield.

Speaking of the Heisman, my goodness talk about padding for time.  The Heisman ceremony is starting to make the Super Bowl's 10 hour pregame coverage look fast.

• Love 1

Reynolds sure as hell impressed me.  In the past couple of days leading up to this game I read some grumblings that he wasn't in serious contention because Navy isn't a power school or from a power conference.    Was there any truth to that?

I've said for years that only the Super Bowl pre-game show is more padded than the Heisman telecast. This year especially, because there's only three finalists.

It's usually 60 minutes, and they go over by a few minutes.

This year, I looked at the schedule, and it was 90 minutes. And I really, really could not give a damn about the finalists. So I recorded it, and fast-forwarded through the whole telecast, then watched the Buffalo Bills documentary that followed.