Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

The Stanford band did a tribute to cheese or something when they played Wisconsin a few years ago. So yeah, it's what they do.

The bowls suck this year. The Holiday Bowl might have been the best game of the lot.

• Love 1

New Years Eve ratings tanked.

Bad idea. I barely made it home from work (half day) in time to watch the 3 PM game if I had wanted to do so. And many potential fans are out partying on New Year's Eve.

Horrible plan to have them at those times

• Love 1

Poor Oregon- guess Chip Kelly isn't the only one who tanks big games.

With all the drama surrounding (and losing) Boykin, you'd think this would be one Bowl you could write Oregon's name in as winner, ahead of time.

Good job by the staff to keep the players focused.

ETA: I didn't see this one and just read abt it, but Geez! if Gary Patterson isn't the best damn coach aft Saban & Meyer! What a comeback!

Lockie's playing games may be over.

Edited by roamyn

Well, shit.  I was a one-night Clemson fan because I hate Lane Kiffin and Nick Saban so much that you put them together and I'd root for just about anyone against their team, so I didn't anticipate getting so worked up.  But as much as OU laid an egg in the semi-final, Clemson put forth a great performance against them, so I was happy to pull for them - and have to root for anyone who spends the time at number one yet comes in predicted to lose by a TD - and this was such a great game for so long that I really got invested in it. 

My sports-loving heart goes out to real Clemson fans, because I picture my team in the same scenario and want to puke.

Who knows what effect it had on the game as a whole, but that bullshit with the clock at the end of the half shouldn't have happened.

• Love 1

Great game.  I wanted Clemson to win and I can't stand Alabama but they earned a hard-fought victory tonight against a terrific Clemson team.  Clemson was definitely the best opponent they have beaten in these four national title games.  Bama's special teams really stepped up in a big way and the onside kick was a great call.

The clock management bullshit at the end of the half definitely shouldn't have happened.

• Love 1

My husband commented that there would be a big screw up since there were PAC 12 refs- he was right. I don't know how they couldn't award the timeout back and add 3 seconds to the clock. Ridiculous

• Love 1

Man, that game ended late. Well, of course it was going to end past midnight ET. But I could only program my DVR to record to 12:30 AM, and as I'm watching on DVR time, I was deathly afraid it would go to 1 am.

Anyways, it was a good game. Surprisingly, a good game. But man it's too exhausting to have these games on a weeknight, and I'm a West Coaster.

To me the worst part is now having to hear about how Nick Saban is the greatest coach of all time of every sport in the history of mankind.

If Coach K is the greatest coach...of our era, how come Saban doesn't get that qualifier? The college football landscape has changed immeasurably as well, I understand it is a lot different in college hoops because of the one and done but still. Shut up, Saban.

• Love 3

Man, that game ended late. Well, of course it was going to end past midnight ET. But I could only program my DVR to record to 12:30 AM, and as I'm watching on DVR time, I was deathly afraid it would go to 1 am.

Anyways, it was a good game. Surprisingly, a good game. But man it's too exhausting to have these games on a weeknight, and I'm a West Coaster.

Yeah, that game ended way too late last night.  I wasn't going to miss it but I would have appreciated if it would have started even twenty minutes early.

To me the worst part is now having to hear about how Nick Saban is the greatest coach of all time of every sport in the history of mankind.

Let's just hope he doesn't end up coaching a certain NFL team we both know and love...

• Love 3

I am very much less offended by Nick Saban success than I am about Lane Kiffin success. Lane Kiffin is offensive to me in every way. Also, the SEC winning is unpleasant.  However, the game was really fun to watch and I overall really enjoyed this season. Already looking forward to next year!

• Love 1

So if the two best teams meet in the last game of the season, they get to play again the next week? Doesn't sound ridiculous at all. OU and OSU would've played two weeks in a row this year.

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1

Big 12 needs two more teams. Who could they be? Utah State and Colorado State? Memphis State? Cincinnati?

They really need get on it. Because the more I hear David Boren talk, the more it sounds like he's ready for OU to bolt if they don't start adding teams. He already tried it once. Things between OU and Texas are supposed to be really frosty now, and it has nothing to do with the college rivalry.

Edited by Stuffy

Big 12 needs two more teams.  Who could they be?  Utah State and Colorado State? Memphis State? Cincinnati?

Temple and UConn. Seriously. 

At this point realignment has little to do with history or geography and is all about the cash. Those two schools get the Big 12 into the Northeast TV market and the conference can dress it up as "creating new regional rivalries!"

The Big 12 actually doesn't need to expand now, thanks to the deregulation. Notably the new rule says that a conference with fewer than 12 members has to play a full round-robin schedule in order to hold a championship game. That is the Big Ten's response to the ACC, which wanted complete deregulation (instead of division winners, the ACC just wanted to be able to have its top two teams play in the title game). 

None of these programs (Temple, UConn, Cincinnati, Boise etc.) are palatable to Texas, particularly now that the deregulation passed.

Houston should be in the Big 12 but the Texas schools won't let another one from their state enter join from what I've read.

They don't add enough of a tv market it's about $$$. The state of Texas is covered with four schools already.

OU will be gone too if they don't add some teams. Rumors in OK is that Boren is already looking around.

Boren's statement about the game decision.

http://twitter.com/Mitch_Harper/status/687435058014191622/photo/1

Edited by Stuffy

Oklahoma created this situation for itself, tying itself to Texas a long time ago. It chose to try and get into the Pac with Texas. It watched as Nebraska and then A&M left because of Texas' shenanigans. Now Oklahoma is tired of Texas calling all the shots, having a network without sharing with its fellow conference members. WHO KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN.

Whatever OU wants to do, they probably can't do it without Oklahoma State. 

Also, if the Big 12 miraculously expands, they will fight to the death over the divisions. 

• Love 2

Oklahoma created this situation for itself, tying itself to Texas a long time ago. It chose to try and get into the Pac with Texas. It watched as Nebraska and then A&M left because of Texas' shenanigans. Now Oklahoma is tired of Texas calling all the shots, having a network without sharing with its fellow conference members. WHO KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN.

Whatever OU wants to do, they probably can't do it without Oklahoma State. 

Also, if the Big 12 miraculously expands, they will fight to the death over the divisions. 

It was more about being tied to OSU than Texas.  The other conferences were fine with OU/Texas, but they didn't want OSU.  OU at the time didn't have an option for some reason they had to include OSU anywhere they went.  From what I understand their regents don't care as much as they used to about that.  I'm not sure about the state legal issues though.  

Edited by Stuffy

I hope recruits keep pushing coaches to do more outlandish stuff. Since they players can't get compensated for their highly coveted talents doing stupid stuff on the recruiting trail is increasingly the way coaches compete and I want players to start making them dance like monkeys. 

• Love 3

Oh Harbaugh danced alright.  But danced with the likes of Lou Holtz, Tom Brady, Derek Jeter, etc.

Michigan got the #1 ranked ESPN recruit this year, the first time the BigTen has gotten the #1 recruit since ESPN started making a list in 2006. And he wasn't even at Harbaugh mania! We also got a guy with the last name McDoom, so that is pretty fucking cool.

The legislator who proposed that excluded sports from the ban? So the molecular biologist who is co-authoring a paper with a Stanford colleague has to suffer because he's pissed?

He's a total fuckhead who doesn't give a shit about education.

• Love 3

I apologize on behalf of the state of Iowa. I would like to point out that the senator in question is from Ames, home of the Iowa State Cyclones, arch-rivals of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes. This is clearly a smear campaign against the Hawkeyes.

I clicked that without even thinking it might be a April Fool's joke because the Wall Street Journal coincidentally ran an article about the (very real) recent change in the color of Carolina Blue.