Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

I would rather see a classy player win the Heisman than a crybaby who threw his coaches under the bus. Would have liked to see McCaffrey get it, but happy for Henry.

Those Navy uniforms and helmets are amazing.

• Love 2

Miami CB Artie Burns, citing family, declaring for NFL draft

I want to start by giving GOD the glory and a special thanks to my teammates, coach Al Golden and coach Mark Richt, the UM coaching staff, the University of Miami and all the Canes Fans.

I can't put into words what these past three years have meant to me in my development as a football player but even more importantly as a man. It is only right to acknowledge that and I thank you all.

After considering all the options, and looking into my future, I feel it is in my best interest to forego my senior year and declare for the NFL Draft.

This was a long and extremely difficult decision to make.

Due to my mom sudden passing and my father being incarcerated, I now have custody of my two younger brothers and my son to raise. It is my responsibility to be the financial supporter my family needs to continue our day to day lives.

Also, playing in the National Football League has always been a dream of mine and I believe the time to pursue this dream is now. I feel I'm mentally and physically ready. Now that the time has come for me to take the next step in my journey, I will come back to complete my degree from this prestigious University.

Once again I want to Thank my family for all the support. I want to thank all the professors, advisors, trainers, and coaches for everything they have done for me.

My teammates, I love you all, you guys are my brothers. We have accomplished so much, I'll always cherish those moments with you.

And finally to each one of you unbelievable fans that back us each and every day, I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for supporting me during my time at The University of Miami. You guys truly made my college experience one to remember.

I will ALWAYS BE A CANE 4 LIFE!!! and continue to root and support whenever I can. Because its ALL ABOUT THE "U".

Yours Truly,
Artie Burns

Ezekiel Elliott crashed his car that he was driving on a suspended license after his DUI earlier this year.  OSU gave him no punishment and he will play in the bowl as scheduled.  I'm sure you can infer my opinion on this.

It wasn't a DUI that caused the suspension. He failed to pay a ticket for going 59 in a 55. Stupid, but not criminal.

As someone on AV Club said of the Lockheed-Martin Armed Forces Bowl, "It's the Military-Industrial complex come to life!"

It really was. Lockheed Martin got to show off their shiny new F-35s to an audience that has little clue as to how troubled the development of that plane is.The F-35 fighters used in the flyover cost at least $150 million each.

Monday, Northrup Grumman sponsored the Military Bowl with Navy this year.

Ezekiel Elliott crashed his car that he was driving on a suspended license after his DUI earlier this year. OSU gave him no punishment and he will play in the bowl as scheduled. I'm sure you can infer my opinion on this.

The DUI was JT Barrett, and he WAS suspended for two games.

Zeke had an accident and was speeding. Every other college kid (and adult minus me) speeds.

I don't recall bowl games starting after 10 pm ET before this year.

The Holiday Bowl tonight started at 10:40 pm ET and ended at 2:10 am ET.

I guess it's part of ESPN's effort to have all the bowl games spread out on one channel for the entire day.

But last year, and in previous years, the Holiday Bowl got the plum 8 pm ET primetime start time. And they'd get the likes of Brent Musburger or Chris Fowler calling the games.

Now the Holiday Bowl, which while not an A-list bowl has been around for many decades, has become irrelevant.

(The Cactus Bowl on Saturday night, pitting WVU vs. ASU, starts at 10:15 pm ET.)

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 2

Great win by the Badgers!  Lots of jokes on Badgers radio postgame about sitting Jack Cichy in first half of games from now on.  And what a tough nut Joel Stave is, getting kicked in the face and coming back to lead them to winning points.  Great first year by Paul Chryst - but what the hell was with that sweatshirt?  And good kicking by the tub of goo, Gaglianone.  Of course, the SEC crew nearly blew it for the Badgers by blowing the whistle on that play down the sidelines. Great job by the Wisconsin defense all game long, sticking it to all those so-called experts (I'm looking at you, ESPN) that said USC would roll over Wisconsin.  Really hoping Dave Aranda is back as Def Coordinator next season. 

One other thing:  USC band, nice capes. 

• Love 1

Now the Holiday Bowl, which while not an A-list bowl has been around for many decades, has become irrelevant.

I miss the old Holiday Bowl. Back in the eighties, when it felt like every team was running power I/wishbone, it was the only way us East Coasters could see guys like Jim McMahon and Steve Young, who where rumored to pass the ball an astonishing thirty times a game.

but what the hell was with that sweatshirt?

LOL. The sweatshirt was the subject of much discussion on the Badger message board I visit. Also there is a twitter account dedicated to The Sweatshirt. Some people think he got it at Shopko. I think it was a freebie from a bowl rep.

Edited by Minneapple

The combination of his face, physique and sweatshirt made me Wisconsin homesick. A family reunion would include at least 3 guys indistinguishable from the Badgers coach. Love seeing USC lose and Wisconsin win!

Too bad Boykin couldn't wait one more week to get arrested. Good luck, TCU.

I did not realize that "New Years Six" refers to the 6 games broadcast on ESPN. They made it seem very prestigious!

And good kicking by the tub of goo, Gaglianone.

I'm sure there have been others, but I've never seen a kicker built like that before.   I did a bit of a double take when he first took the field.

My alma mater is a DIII school that didn't even have football when I went there so I mostly watch college football just because and usually not even until this time of year. I've always been fond of Ohio State though because in high school I thought Robert Smith was positively dreamy (still is, actually; and that is my shameful secret, when I was an impressionable teenage girl I picked teams if I found a hot guy to root for).

So my question for you alums of the big schools - do you root for your conference, in a bowl game? For instance, will a Wolverine root for a Buckeye against Notre Dame?

Any Gators on here? Will you root for Alabama to move on, or is it Sparty all the way?

I'm just curious if the team hatred continues all the time no matter what.

We Badger fans love Rafael - even more so because he looks like a guy who enjoys a double serving of fettucine alfredo during halftime.  When he hit the winning kick against Nebraska and was jumping up and down, we were joking about seeing reports on CNN of a minor earthquake in the Lincoln area. 

I always (somewhat reluctantly, I admit) root for Big 10 teams at bowl time. 

Edited by Calvada

So my question for you alums of the big schools - do you root for your conference, in a bowl game? For instance, will a Wolverine root for a Buckeye against Notre Dame?

Even though I went to Cal and Stanford is their biggest rival, because they are both from the Bay Area, I will root for Stanford if they don't play Cal.  But I can't stand USC and UCLA and will always root against them.  When they play each other, I root for whichever team will hurt the other one the most.

Other than that, I root for Pac 12 teams, although I don't really care about Utah and Colorado.

We Badger fans love Rafael - even more so because he looks like a guy who enjoys a double serving of fettucine alfredo during halftime.

Cheese curds and brats! You mean cheese curds and brats at halftime!

Very impressive win for Houston against Florida State.

Pretty good game between Clemson and Oklahoma right now. 

And oh Treyvone Boykin, what were you thinking?

Always root for the Big Ten in out of conference games. Bowl season, nonconference, NCAA tournament, whatever. 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 1
So my question for you alums of the big schools - do you root for your conference, in a bowl game?

Absolutely -- unless it's UCLA.  But I'm rooting for Stanford tomorrow.  Which may be the kiss of death, since I'm 0-2 in "my" bowl games so far.  USC lost, OU lost ... come on Stanford, and come on Oklahoma State.

My hat's off to Clemson, though, because they just outplayed OU and turned in a great game.  I don't know if they're always such a physical team, but they were certainly impressive today. 

But now I'm stuck with a national championship I don't particularly care about.  If Alabama wins, I'll root for Clemson because I don't like the SEC and I hate Nick Saban.  But if Michigan St. wins, it will be two teams I don't care about one way or the other.  I'll probably still root for Clemson, on the theory you want the one who beat you to win the whole thing.

I'm skipping the Alabama/Michigan St. game in favor of TCM's Thin Man marathon, however.  (I have them all on DVD and could just start after the game, but the marathon is my New Year's Eve tradition and it's oddly cool for it to back on TV for the first time in years.  Besides, if I didn't start until after the game, I'd never make it.)

Edited by Bastet

Always root for a B1G school, except the Walmart Wolverines. I am begrudgingly rooting for MiSt (I would've preferred Iowa).

Unfortunately I don't think MiSt has a chance unless they can stop Henry. If they win, I look for them to continue their luck in the Championship game, and will wholeheartedly root for them then.

Clemson did a good job, despite missing several players.

For instance, will a Wolverine root for a Buckeye against Notre Dame

NOPE.

At least this Michigan alum will not. It's similar to baseball I think - people will root for their conference to win generally unless it is your sworn enemy nemesis. Some Michigan fans are bigger people than me, but no way no how will I wish anything but embarrassment and destruction on the Buckeyes, even against the only marginally less despicable Notre Dame.

I think most Big10 fans and alumni are rooting for MSU. They are enemies of no one (Michigan is their biggest rival but everyone in state has friends at both schools so it's more friendly) and Bama is not exactly a popular team.

I was hoping OU would win, but that wasn't even close by the end. I have warm fuzzies with that team after a Christmas conversation one tear when my non-football fan sister indignantly told me it was stupid to put the player's names on the front of the jersies. After much confusion she said "well, that Sooners guy has his" and I laughed for quite awhile.

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • Love 1

My husband (who's also a Michigan alum) will cheer for OSU in the playoffs but he's a way better person than I am. Speaking of reluctantly, getting ready for realively calm NYE dinner with friends feels like such a downer with the game on! This late night (even on the west cost it's getting late-ish) football playoff thing stands to make me finally swear off NYE forever.

Okay, as I've been sitting here figuring out who to root for in the championship game, I've been looking at articles about Boykin's arrest/release today. 

I'm not sure this is the right crowd to ask, but does anyone else thinks it looks a bit like Big Boo (from Orange is the New Black ) helping/dragging/pushing Boykin to the car after he made bail?  I've giggled a bit with that thought tonight....here's a link with video clip.

Both those playoff games were dreadful. Thank god for DVRs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cal Bears last won the Rose Bowl on January 1, 1938, beating Alabama 13-0.

Our rivals, Stanford, last won the Rose Bowl on January 1, 2014.

I really would not like to see Stanford win the Rose Bowl again on Friday.

(Incidentally, the last time Iowa won the Rose Bowl it beat Cal in what was Cal's last apperance in the Rose Bowl, on January 1, 1959.)

When I was a student at Cal in the late '90s, we were in the midst of a 7-game losing streak to Stanford, so we had to take pleasure in 1) rioting at the game, 2) the Hillary Clinton/Chelsea Clinton incident*, and 3) kidnapping their stupid tree mascot.

(*When Chelsea Clinton was a freshman at Stanford in 1997, a columnist for Cal's student newspaper wrote a column two days before the Big Game with Stanford urging Cal students to take their frustration on Chelsea's bloody carcass. He wasn't serious, but he also mentioned the name of her dormitory. Nobody noticed...until the paper apologized. Then it became national news. It just so happened that 2 days after the game Hillary was set to visit UC Berkeley for some kind of .  As a result, the Secret Service stormed the columnist's home. The columnist would go on to become a regular on Chelsea Lately and Comedy Central.)

Edited by nowandlater

Sparty's offense just matched up horribly with Bama's defense.  Bama has proven over the years that they can't stop a hurry up spread, Sparty doesn't run that.  Hell even when it was obvious they should go to a 2 minute offense, there was no urgency.

Clemson on the other hand is going to run that offense all game against Bama.  I'd wager there will be very few times Clemson snaps the ball with 15 seconds or less on the clock.  I think that offense is going to continue to be too much for Bama, and Clemson wins the National Title.

At least the Badgers scored when they played Alabama this year.  Even though I root for Big 10 teams in bowl games, a part of me enjoyed watching MSU get shellacked - and Izzo was in the house too

My husband was rooting for AL all the way. He dislikes anything abt That State Up North. Also, he has an affinity for Nick Saban, as our last name is the same (tho spelled with one letter different).

Then again, he is a Pittsburgh Squealers fan, so what can u you expect?

The New Year's Eve playoff ratings were a disaster, down 36% from last year.

And the New year's thing is going to happen 8 of the next 11 years.

People are blaming the Rose Bowl's New Year's Day stranglehold.

But for this year at least, they refused to move the games to Saturday night.

And the only compelling game on Saturday (Oregon vs. TCU) is made less compelling by the Boykin incident.

Edited to add: I guess those Jimmy Kimmel College Football Playoff ads didn't work. (Kimmel, of course, was not watching the games -- he was at a Billiy Joel concert kissing Howard Stern.)

Edited by nowandlater

Having semi-finals especially the 8pm game so late on NYE was stupid. The games should have been played on Jan 2nd.

I agree. It wasn't fair to the staff & players, as they couldn't make plans to party, relax, or enjoy family.

The Rose Bowl should always be on Jan 1, but the Semi's are more important and should've been after.

Also, the ND/tOSU game is compelling, too. I think they'll match up well.

Edited by roamyn

Maybe the playoff organizers will agree to move the games next time they fall on New Year's Eve.

I'm guessing the Rose Bowl ratings will be pretty good today.

Is East Lansing still around today or did they burn it to the ground?

So Michigan and Ohio State win in convincing fashion but Northwestern gets murdered by Tennessee. I guess this means...well, I don't know what it means.

Go Iowa.

Thank You, The Ohio State for a great game. Where the hell were you for the Michigan State game?!

I think Herbie said it best afterwards, the "what ifs" will always be there regarding the Buckeyes and this season.

Wait what? She went to Stanford, but is not rooting for them in the Rose Bowl? What kind of messed up shit is that?

My problem with the NYE playoff games, without a horse in the race the games needed to be interesting. And they were not. I checked out of both of them. I also think last year's four were good matchups all around and Clemson and Mich St. just don't have the national following.

I do think Clemson has a chance to match up with 'Bama though.

Ed McCaffrey. Eff him. I was so mad when he left the NY Giants.

It's so crazy to me to watch all these kids play who I watched their fathers play when I was younger...Sanders, Robinson, McCaffrey, Hunter.

Edited by mojoween

Maybe the playoff organizers will agree to move the games next time they fall on New Year's Eve.

I'm guessing the Rose Bowl ratings will be pretty good today.

Is East Lansing still around today or did they burn it to the ground?

So Michigan and Ohio State win in convincing fashion but Northwestern gets murdered by Tennessee. I guess this means...well, I don't know what it means.

Go Iowa.

The fall on New Year's Eve the next 2 years. (Next year, New Year's Eve falls on a Saturday, so the Rose Bowl won't be played until Monday.)

The Big 10 outside of MSU looks pretty good. Beating USC, UCLA, Notre Dame and Florida.

He's such a beast. I hope he shows the country what a multiple threat he is and stick it those east coast bias voters.

And it keeps getting better and better. Keep it up Stanford and make the pac 12 look good!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Michigan State should be grateful to Iowa for making people forget for a moment Sparty's no-show against Alabama.  Could Iowa have looked more inept?   Most of these games have been blowouts, so I'm not surprised the ratings aren't great.   One of the more interesting, down to the wire games was the Holiday Bowl with Wisconsin and USC, and that ended at 1:15 AM central time! 

Congrats to Clemson.  I think they're going to roll Alabama.  Alabama can still destroy a team that that plays a pro-style of offense but lets see if they've learned anything about playing athletic teams since their loss to Ole Miss.  My guess is no.

Really surprised with the way Michigan State is playing.  They've defeated a lot of big teams and hold two victories over Ohio State during the Urban Meyer years.  But they just seem to shit the bed when it comes to Alabama.  Ohio State definitely wouldn't have performed like that against Alabama.  But they lost to MSU and that's why they weren't in the playoffs (though with the exception of not having a conference title, I think they have just as good a claim as Bama does of having made the playoffs).

Congrats to Wisconsin, that was a good win.

Hoping Penn State wins tomorrow.  Hoping the Giants will get a chance to draft Carl Nassib afterwards.