Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

If I can take comfort in one thing, is that overpaying for television rights is going to bite ESPN in the ass in the near future.  I've been reading article about how ESPN spends $7 billion on television rights for the various professional leagues, overpaying for many in the process.  However, an increasing amount of the population is cutting their cable cords (figuratively) and the number of new subscribers isn't exactly going to go up in the next few years.  Disney has told ESPN to tighten their belts and that's why you've seen them let go of high-price employees like Bill Simmons and Colin Cowherd.

There's a TON of money with the University of Texas but all that money had brought them exactly one championship in the past forty-five years and I don't see that changing.  Every other school in Texas has adapted to football in the year 2015 except Texas.  If Charlie Strong has the opportunity, he should jump to Miami before he ends up getting canned.

So this is annoying. If Alabama beats LSU this weekend, Bama rises in the CFP rankings and LSU falls. But only to like No. 4 because hey, they lost to Bama. So there'll be two one-loss SEC teams in the top four with a bunch of undefeateds on the outside looking in. This is the issue with the SEC rankings and the echo chamber.

I don't follow college football, but it was my understanding that

If an SEC team beats another SEC team, it shows you good the winner is since it just beat another SEC team. It also shows you how good the loser is because it only lost to another SEC team. If the lower ranked team wins, it shows how difficult the SEC is.

If another team beats a conference rival, its meaningless since its opponent was a nobody that lost to a non-SEC team. If the lower ranked team wins, it also shows you how weak the conference is.

I can't see, Baylor dropping more than one or two due to that extremely close game. Same with Clemson. If they lose, they might drop two or three - outta the top 4, but still in the top 10.

TCU getting creamed so far and that WILL hurt them.

MI State LOST, barely. They've had too many "barelys" this year.

But AndreaK should be happy.

I'm guessing Clemson stays at 1, tOSU moves to 2, Bama moves to 3, and Notre Dame is 4. LSU or Iowa should round out top 5. Baylor barely beat a shitty team and doesn't deserve top 5 status.

The Buckeyes win was extremely unimpressive, I think Bama takes over at 2.

I've been excited for November football for quite awhile and today did not disappoint. I guess I have to cheer for the Buckeyes over Sparty in 2 weeks now.

Bama's loss against Ole Miss looks worse & worse.

I still think tOSU takes #2. Clemson was unimpressive for the entire directory 1st half, as was Alabama.

And OK St might end up as #4.

On another note, a group of MO players are refusing to play until / unless the school president resigns.

Unless the MO President was the one hanging noses from the trees, it's ridiculous to expect him to step down.

The players refusing to play are just hurting themselves and their team...not to mention their free ride at a D-1 school.

Edited by BitterApple

There have been a lot of racial incidents at MO (the last being discovery of a swastika made from feces on the floor in a dormitory), and the black students are complaining that the President of the University is doing nothing about it.  The black football players are threatening to boycott all football activities unless the President steps down.

LSU isn’t going to be in the Top Five after tonight.

Happy that Navy won.  Looking forward to seeing how far they can go.

I wish Alabama would just go away.

Looks like there was a bad call in the Nebraska game but Michigan State has been living dangerously all year and they finally got burned for it.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

College Gameday will be in Waco for the Oklahoma/Baylor game.

And here's what I learned in week 10:

• Thanks to a bad call, Michigan State suffered its first loss of the season.  Still, as was mentioned, you can't give up two touchdowns late in the game.
  • Like Michigan State, LSU, TCU, Toledo, and Memphis can all kiss their undefeated seasons goodbye.
  • Florida clinched the SEC East, but looked very unimpressive against an awful Vanderbilt team.
  • Thanks to LOL Miss, Alabama controls its destiny in the SEC West.
  • Leornard Fournette was shut down by Bama's defense.
  • North Carolina is clearly the best team in the ACC Coastal.
  • Clemson got a hard-fought win against a tough Florida State team.  That said, I hope Carolina kicks your butt in the ACC title game.
Edited by Evolution101

Fournette's Heisman is gone and selfishly I'm glad. If Melvin Gordon didn't win it last year then I didn't want Fournette to get it this year. That said, he was the frontrunner and now there's no real Heisman leader.

Michigan State's loss is the universe fixing what happened in the Michigan game.

Clemson looks legit. Watch the Clemsoning happen in the ACC title game.

I realize Ole Miss beat Bama but I still think they were overrated. Same deal with A&M. These teams achieved their rankings thanks to Ye Ol' SEC Echo Chamber.

• Love 1

Fournette's Heisman is gone and selfishly I'm glad. If Melvin Gordon didn't win it last year then I didn't want Fournette to get it this year. That said, he was the frontrunner and now there's no real Heisman leader.

I still think Fournette's a solid candidate, but I agree he's no longer the front runner.

Maybe neck & neck with Henry from AL and Elliot from tOSU.

Michigan State's loss is the universe fixing what happened in the Michigan game.

Clemson looks legit. Watch the Clemsoning happen in the ACC title game.

I realize Ole Miss beat Bama but I still think they were overrated. Same deal with A&M. These teams achieved their rankings thanks to Ye Ol' SEC Echo Chamber.

Ye Ol' SEC Echo Chamber, I like that one a lot.  Not to mention the College Football committee's raging hard-on for the SEC.

I'm disappointed Penn State blew that game against Northwestern.  A crap offensive line and Frankin's atrocious management of timeouts really blew that game.  I'm hoping we can at least split the two Michigan games but I'm not holding my breath as Franklin doesn't do victories against ranked teams.

There have been a lot of racial incidents at MO (the last being discovery of a swastika made from feces on the floor in a dormitory), and the black students are complaining that the President of the University is doing nothing about it.  The black football players are threatening to boycott all football activities unless the President steps down.

And it worked.  Other members of the University added to the pressure and the President resigned today.

I think this week is the least interesting of the November weekends for games (at least for me, I don't care at all about the Big12). Was surprised at how quickly the AP poll reshuffled itself to mirror the Playoff rankings. Polls are silly. But I love them!

I'll bet the Board put pressure on the MO President, since they would lose hundreds of thousands of $ if the team had to forfeit this weekend.

I'm not surprised Clemson overtook tOSU at #1 in the AP. I expected it. If the Vlemson game was closer in the 2nd half, maybe not as much. And no doubt Clemson deserves it.

All I want to know is that no one raises the ghost of Woody Hayes if Clemson and tOSU meet in the CFP.

I hate to be a black-hearted cynic, but I don't think the players would have boycotted if Missouri was an 8-0 playoff contender.

I completely disagree with forcing the President to resign, but that's an argument for a different forum.

• Love 1

Playoff rankings:

1. Clemson

2. Alabama

3. Ohio State

4. Notre Dame

5. Iowa

6. Baylor

Florida State holds at 16.  TCU drops below Michigan State, despite the fact that TCU lost to undefeated Oklahoma State while MSU lost to 3-6 Nebraska.

I hope that changes because the last thing I want to see is Ohio State running Alabama off the field again.

Michigan State being ranked about TCU is ridiculous.

Edited by benteen

I'm surprised Iowa is at 5, that was a big jump.  There are 2 Big10 teams in the top 5, 6 in the top 25. I'm pro-Big10, but that seems like a lot.

Do you think OSU really would beat Bama again?  I guess it's possible, I didn't think it would happen last year either, but they have been positively sluggish this year. Perhaps they are conserving their energy.  Why not I suppose, they are undefeated and in the playoff.  No need to go crazy. But, zzzzz.

Do you think OSU really would beat Bama again?  I guess it's possible, I didn't think it would happen last year either, but they have been positively sluggish this year. Perhaps they are conserving their energy.  Why not I suppose, they are undefeated and in the playoff.  No need to go crazy. But, zzzzz.

If Cardale's the starter, then Bama can beat Ohio State.  If Barrett's the starter, Ohio State is repeating.  I'm not an Ohio State fan, but with JT Barrett as the starter, the biggest obstacle to them repeating is themselves.  I don't think anyone can give a logical answer as to why Meyer didn't just bench Cardale at the beginning of the season when Ohio State was struggling, and give the job back to Barrett.

Bama can not defend against the spread offense.  It's been shown the last few years, look at what Manziel did to them, Nick Marshall gave them fits, Trevor Knight looked like a Heisman contender against them, and Urban Meyer's offense was too much for them.  Nick Saban has a massive problem defending spread offenses.  If the offense goes slow, and the QB can't run, Bama doesn't have a problem, they have a huge problem when they run into a team that runs the spread and a QB that can move.

Hell if Oklahoma wins out and faces Bama, I could see Oklahoma repeating what they did in the Sugar Bowl against Bama.

• Love 1

Okay, I stand corrected.

tOSU still stays at #3. I'm fine with that, but not fone w/Bama being over them, since - with the exception of LSU game, they've had too many close calls, and their loss to Ole Miss looks worse & worse. I hate to say it, but I would swap Notre Dame & Bama.

Then again, I think we'd have an easier time with Bama. But we still have to get by that state up north first. That's the game I'm more worried abt.

And yes, it's a good question why Urban stuck with Cardale for so long. Then again, I thought JT should've been the starter to begin with. The only think I can think, is that JT's ankle wasn't 100%.

Edited by roamyn

I'm surprised Iowa is at 5, that was a big jump.  There are 2 Big10 teams in the top 5, 6 in the top 25. I'm pro-Big10, but that seems like a lot.

Never doubt the power of Barry Alvarez. He'll take care of the Big Ten.

I would not be surprised if Alabama lost to Florida in the SEC title game. 

My husband has now taken off work for the Utah game, Michigan State and today. I'm about to throw him in the yard, he's a jinx.

Your threat worked. Any negative karma he was sending flipped after your post.

Perhaps you should threaten him with the doghouse before kickoff.

Much love to both the Minnesota and Indiana coaching staffs for some really boneheaded end of game calls. Why in the hell did Indiana pass there?

So true. And before the last play of the Michigan-Indiana game, the commentator even said point-blank, "I think he should run it, just like Marshawn [Lynch] should have run it." And...Indiana attempted a touchdown pass, just like Seattle did. Same result (they lost the game).

Thank you Baylor for proving me right: you are not only NOT the best team in the country, but you struggled against a ranked team.

PS: Herbie your alumni status is revoked. A 25 point win is NOT "a close one". Stop kissing Big 12 & SEC asses.

Minnesota should title its season DVD "A Season of Moral Victories." 

And Michigan could not stop Jordan Howard (on Indiana's final touchdown drive in regulation, they ran the ball like 8 times the entire length of the field, not a single pass)...and then Indiana passed it.

Houston! Remains undefeated with a come-from-behind win over Memphis. 

There goes Baylor. And Stanford. Thanks for playing, have a nice Alamo or Holiday Bowl as your consolation prize. 

Things are really going to heat up over the next couple of weeks. Ohio State has dates with Michigan State and of course Michigan. Oklahoma plays Oklahoma State and TCU. Then we have the conference championship games. It's going to be an INSANE ending to the season.

• Love 2

Roamyn, Herbie was also talking shit about the OSU linemen on Twitter. The Buckeyes have not been impressive this season by the eye test, but I agree with you, he should show some loyalty. Demond Howard wouldn't do that.

I guess for 3 hours next weekend I am a Buckeye fan. I will preserver.

With Utah losing and Oregon winning, the Pac 12 will most likely be out of the CFP.

If the top 4 teams win out, they'll hold position. Iowa or OK has a chance still if they win out & one of the current top 4 fall.

Roamyn, Herbie was also talking shit about the OSU linemen on Twitter. The Buckeyes have not been impressive this season by the eye test, but I agree with you, he should show some loyalty. Demond Howard wouldn't do that.

I guess for 3 hours next weekend I am a Buckeye fan. I will preserver.

I don't Tweet, so thankfully I didn't hear anything. He's become the new Mark May, but it's even worse because he used to be a Buckeye.

And the defense is one of the best in the country!

A convert! Andrea's coming out of the dark next weekend!

I'm not a huge Herbie fan, but honestly he can say whatever he wants. His job is not to be nice to Ohio State, it's to call it like it is. (And seriously...the guy has had his kids on the Gameday set all decked out in Buckeye gear. I'd say he still loves OSU.) 

Utah-Arizona tied at 27 with about 4 minutes to go!

Edited by Minneapple

I'm not a huge Herbie fan, but honestly he can say whatever he wants. His job is not to be nice to Ohio State, it's to call it like it is. (And seriously...the guy has had his kids on the Gameday set all decked out in Buckeye gear. I'd say he still loves OSU.)

Utah-Arizona tied at 27 with about 4 minutes to go!

No one said he had to be nice. But comments like calling a game a close one or barely winning - when we have beaten all opponents by 20 ir more - is predudicial. ESPN hates the Big 10. And while I'm not blind to tOSU's faults, the defensive has not been the problem this year. The offensive line has struggled on occassion, but rarely the defense.

Call it like it is -- not how your bosses tell you to.

Kirk Herbstreit moved his family from Columbus to Nashville a few years ago because people were giving him shit about disloyalty to OSU. He's in a tough position as the face of college football for a network, he has to try to be objective. But when they interview him on Sundays from his house you can see his OSU jersey on the wall.

The Pac12 did themselves no favors whatsoever yesterday. Oklahoma looked really good. Lots of close ones out there: Clemson, OK State, TCU, Nortwestern, Michigan. I think the Top 4 is still super in flux. And I think Michigan is going to beat OSU. It's like the karma gods are shinning on us after the Michigan State game.

But comments like calling a game a close one or barely winning - when we have beaten all opponents by 20 ir more - is predudicial.

Might want to take a second look at that...3 games were closer

• Love 1

I forgot to add: Prayers to Chad Carr's family.

That's a sad situation. Mr. Carr was always a class act, a worthy opponent, and a good coach.

That MI game will be tough. That's the one I'm worried abt. But we beat them right aft Bo's passing. We just have to keep focused on "the mission".

Edited by roamyn

College Gameday will be in Columbus for the Michigan State/Ohio State game.

And here's what I learned in week 11:

• With Stanford and Utah losing, the Pac-12 is still up for grabs, moreso in the South, as Stanford can still clinch the north next week.  But they have to beat Cal.
  • Arkansas is clearly a better team now than the team that lost to Toledo back in September.
  • LSU can say goodbye to its playoff hopes.
  • Baylor is no longer undefeated.  Houston needed a chokejob from Memphis to stay undefeated.
  • Clemson should be afraid of North Carolina.  VERY AFRAID.
  • Indiana should've beaten Michigan...but that would've required Indiana to be a better team, especially on defense.
  • Ditto for Iowa State/Oklahoma State.
  • Florida State should keep Sean Maguire as the QB.
ESPN hates the Big 10.

It will be really hard to say "ESPN HATES THE BIG 10" next year when they throw millions of dollars at the Big Ten for TV rights. In fact there have been rumors that ESPN's cost-cutting and layoffs have been done in preparation for Big Ten negotiations. 

But -- like I said, Herbstreit can say whatever he wants. And I don't think his bosses at ESPN have straight up told him, "SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT THE BIG TEN." 

• Love 2

Then tell me why he specifically said tOSU "just barely" - and I'm quoting him - won?

Why does he apparently trash the linemen on Twitter?

Why has ESPN kissed the SEC's ass for years?

I just got done re-watching the National Championship game, and it isn't until late in the 3rd qtr that he starts giving tOSU some credit. He made remarks abt how they were lucky, how the O-line sucked and hiw surprised he was that they had done so well the last two (at that point) games. "They were under fire. FIRE! " tOSU wouldn't be able to handle the Ducks (tho he was right on Mariotta), they were too fast, too electric. But he sure backtracked and said how the Ducks forgot that football is essentially a grinding sport - at the end of the game.

I'm not the only one who sees that ESPN hates the Big 10, Big 12, and Pac.

And I don't care how impartial you have to be. If your alma mater wins the big one with a 3rd string QB, aft suffering the death of a player only weeks before, you fricking get excited - even in ur voice.

Nothing I personally say will ever convince anyone, so it really doesn't matter if you believe me or not, I believe what I'm saying is true.

Edited by roamyn

You are biased, though. And frankly so is Herbstreit. Sometimes I think he bends over backwards to NOT be nice to Ohio State, just in the name of objectivity.

But during the national championship game last year I swear his voice caught and it sounded like he was going to start crying. 

ETA: I do agree that ESPN contributes largely to that Ol' SEC Echo Chamber. 

Edited by Minneapple