Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

The Texas Tech coach had great quotes after the game regarding the Arkansas coach. (I'm too tired to look up their names to spell them correctly.)

Kliff Kingsbury and Bret Bielema. Bielma likes to talk a lot of shit. . .  and his team is not backing it up on the field. He also ducked Kingsbury for the post-game handshake. 

I'm beginning to see why other coaches enjoy beating him so much.

Is LSU really that good? Probably, but Auburn is most certainly mediocre at best, so we will see. Is Ohio State the best team in the country? Most certainly not, but they don't play a quality opponent until *November 21*, so what do you do with that? Is the Pac12 as good as they seem? Is the SEC finally ending this long national nightmare of dominance?

So who would u say is best?

Surely not MI state who barely beat Air Force. Surely not the Walmart Wolverines, either. Or 'Bama, who - despite losing by only 6, got a break with the bad (un)call on the onside kick. Surely not a depleted TCU, or a still shakey Notre Dame.

Maybe LSU?

If tOSU can stop the turnovers they're the best. And they had 5 turnovers, like 'Bama, byt still managed to win.

Edited by roamyn

Here's what I learned in week 3:

• Ole Miss has beaten Alabama in back-to-back years for the first time ever.
  • The #1 team in the nation did not look like the #1 team in the nation.  Hell, Ohio State barely looked like a Top 25 team.
  • USC was overranked.
  • Florida has now won 29 straight meetings with Kentucky.
  • I thought Notre Dame would have a tough time against Georgia Tech.  I was wrong.
  • Speaking of Georgia Tech, no team in the ACC looks impressive, including my Seminoles.
  • Miami almost pulled a Clemson, but a couple of stupid mistakes by Nebraska prevented that.
  • Two years ago, the Central Florida Knights played in the Sugar Bowl, and won.  Now they're sitting at 0-3, after having lost to Furman of the FCS.
  • Speaking of 0-3 teams, how about those Louisville Cardinals?

I can easily see Florida losing at least 4 of its next 5 games.

Edited by Evolution101

If tOSU can stop the turnovers they're the best. And they had 5 turnovers, like 'Bama, byt still managed to win.

I would hardly call 5 turnovers vs NIU and 5 turnovers vs Ole Miss a valid comparison.

I don't know who's best.  I know I watched every minute of the OSU vs NIU game, and if that's the best this country has to offer, it is a really really bad year.

Oh, I will agree with you that tOSU offense looked horrible.

But 'Bama was totally dominated by Ole Miss. That score was very musleading. And NIU isn't a bad team.

But defensively no one is matching what tOSU is doing.

ETA: The AP poll has tOSU at #1, MI State at #2, with Ole Miss at #3.

I think that, beyond that, it's f'd up. 'Bama shouldn't have dropped 10, TCU should be lower because they're reduced to the water boy on their defensive bench and they're winning against very easy teams.

LSU is ranked abt right. In fact, I might put them at #3.

Edited by roamyn

I think the dominant days of Alabama are done and because of their never-happy fanbase, I think Saban will leave.  The Bama fanbase is going to cause the best coach they've had since Bear Bryant to leave because he's not going to put up with their psycho behavior.

Right now I'd say Michigan State is the best team in the country. But I have a feeling OSU might just be on cruise control a bit, and Urban wasn't showing everything against NIU.

Auburn is horrible and I can't believe they're still ranked in the coaches' poll. 

Bret Bielema might do well to just shut up and coach. The losses might not be so painful...but then the press conferences might not be so hilarious either. Never mind, Bret, keep talking. 

I'm baffled by how the Sun Life stadium was so empty.

And the fans who were there were Nebraska fans. Miami fans are notoriously fickle and/or absent from games.

Is the SEC finally ending this long national nightmare of dominance? Time will tell.

The SEC hasn't won a national title in two years. The real question is, will the SEC ever be relevant again?

• Love 1

The SEC hasn't won a national title in two years. The real question is, will the SEC ever be relevant again?

Oh come ON. The SEC might not be top dog this season but never be relevant again?? That's just some wishful dreaming right there. Every conference is going to have their ups and downs but the Power Five gets that moniker for a reason. They'll always be relevant.

While I do think Bielema needs to shut up and coach, Kingsbury and his klassy kommentary also need to shove it.

A former Oklahoma player who happens to be the son-in-law and an assistant coach for Baylor's head coach, was on the sidelines of the Oklahoma-Tulsa game over the weekend, in violation of NCAA scouting rules.  I wonder what punishment Baylor will get.

Oh come ON. The SEC might not be top dog this season but never be relevant again?? That's just some wishful dreaming right there. Every conference is going to have their ups and downs but the Power Five gets that moniker for a reason. They'll always be relevant.

I guess sarcasm doesn't always come across on these here interwebs.

Everyone should do themselves a a favor and listen to Tammy. OH, PAWWWWL.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=13712446

Edited by Minneapple

A former Oklahoma player who happens to be the son-in-law and an assistant coach for Baylor's head coach, was on the sidelines of the Oklahoma-Tulsa game over the weekend, in violation of NCAA scouting rules.  I wonder what punishment Baylor will get.

In sports, only Roger Goodell is more impotent than the NCAA right now. I wouldn't be too worried if I were a Baylor fan.

What in the world are we to make of the Utah-Oregon game?  Is Oregon overrated? Does that mean Michigan State is also overrated? Or did Utah just play out of their minds tonight?  They certainly were not that good 3 weeks ago, but they looked pretty damn great today.

The TCU-TT game was pretty wacky... I don't know what you can say about that either.  I'm not sure if TCU has terrible defense or if that was some sort of rivalry anomaly type game that we should read into.

Michigan looked really good today. I know BYU was exhausted after a brutal opening schedule, but still, much improved quarterback decision making by Rudock.  

Really hope Clemson beats ND next week, I hate when they win.

BYU lost its starting quarterback a couple weeks ago. It was bound to come unraveling for them at some point.

It's hard to tell what the Utah-Oregon game means. A full on beating like that is usually an outlier. And single game to single game comparisons don't really mean anything.

BIG TEN season is here. Who hates Iowa? We hate Iowa!

I think U of O devoted too much time getting the quarterback they drafted from Eastern Washington eligible this summer.  It must have been a bit demoralizing for Jeff Locke to be thrown into the "junior varsity" by a player who arrived during the second week in August.  It's no wonder the offense hasn't had a chance to work out the kinks.  The Duck defense was always a little bit suspect.  

As a Beaver alum, I have to admit I'm enjoying all the hand-wringing coming out in the local papers.  It probably won't last.  The Ducks have always come back swinging after less dramatic losses.  

Edited by Phebemarie

Texas loses another game because of crappy kicking team play.  Last week, they lost because the place kicker missed the tying extra point.  This week, they lose when the punter fumbles the ball, only gets off a ten yard punt, and Oklahoma State kicks the winning field goal with seconds left in the game.

No reason to hate on tOSU. They're not playing up to their capacity. But they did better offensively this week.

Now since the Walmart Wolverines have cracked the top 25, it's time to go full bore into hating that State Up North.

BTW, why no love in the polls for Bowling Green?

Bowling Green is 2-2 and the two wins were against 2 of the worst teams in the Big Ten. Purdue might not win again.

Did Iowa recently do something to Wisconsin or just upcoming game smack talk? I grew up in Madison and always had warm fuzzies for the Hawkeyes (but they had a really fun basketball team in the mid/late 90s). My parents are still in Madison and do not get my dad started on the weakness of the Badgers conference schedule. He wants them to be able to prove themselves.

I already arranged family plans to be available all day on the day of MSU/OSU. I assume the Buckeyes win in the shoe, but oh god what if they don't. Can't be missed.

Edited by AndreaK1041
I grew up in Madison and always had warm fuzzies for the Hawkeyes

This...does not compute. 

The above is mostly just upcoming game smack talk. But Iowa and Wisconsin have a long, historic rivalry. Though, Wisconsin and Minnesota's rivalry is more historic (it's the oldest and most-played rivalry in FBS).

Bowling Green is 2-2 and the two wins were against 2 of the worst teams in the Big Ten. Purdue might not win again.

My bad. I don't follow MAC, and my hubby told me they were undefeated.

I will acknowledge my mistake, even if I had to swallow my tongue apologizing to the enemy. :-D

Edited by roamyn

I think Utah is a really good team.  Urban Meyer started things during his two years but not only has Kyle Whittingham sustained that but has surpassed that at Utah.  Oregon clearly isn't what they've been the past few years and their defense is atrocious.  But Utah embarrassed them big-time at Oregon's home and their victory over Michigan is looking better and better every day.

It's a strange but fun college football season so far.  So many off-beat teams are off to great starts and to me their is no great team or teams right now.  But plenty of teams that might be looking that way after a few more games.

College Gameday will be in Clemson for the Notre Dame/Clemson game.

Here's what I learned in week 4:

• Oregon's problems on defense caught up to them in a big way, as Utah gave them their worst asskicking in years.
  • The winner of the Utah-UCLA game will more than likely win the Pac-12.
  • For the second straight week kicking issues have cost Texas.  At 1-3, Charlie Strong's seat is getting hotter.
  • Speaking of hot seats, Mike London is done unless Virginia can get to a bowl game.  And even then, it may not be enough.
  • Florida is back in the polls.  It won't last, as they face Ole Miss next.
  • Tennesee has now lost 11 straight to Florida.
  • TCU won't run the table, not with that porous defense.
  • Love 1
  • For the second straight week kicking issues have cost Texas.  At 1-3, Charlie Strong's seat is getting hotter.

It shouldn't be, as rational Texas fans know. (I've been to the Texas board, there are the ration and irrational fans).

Yeah, they've not been winning games, but they've been battling it out and almost winning, especially this past weekend against a ranked team.

That's a big sign of improvement. They're young, and they need to screw up to get better. It's only when they're not fighting to win when the coach should be fired.

I'm thinking of my Cal Bears. Two years ago, we went 0-11 vs. FBS teams, with true freshman Jared Goff as QB and new head coach Sonny Dykes. A certain segment of the Cal fan base were calling for Dykes to be fired after that terrible year, and for Goff to be benched in favor of his older and more highly touted backup (who was originally supposed to save the program). It was also made worse because the new Pac-12 Network created a reality show called "The Drive" that documented the behind-the-scenes action of that terrible season on a weekly basis.

Two years later, Cal is ranked for the first time since 2010 and Goff is considered a 1st round draft pick.

I don't think Strong will get canned this year, as he did inherit a mess from Mack Brown, and like you said, they had some close games.  Texas could just as easily be 3-1 right now.  But if things don't get better next year, I could see him getting the boot.

I went to Cal, so I am def. a Cal fan, but Washington's quarterback is a true freshman who led the local Folsom High School to the California state championship last year, so I can't help but root for the Huskies.  So I was torn that Cal beat Washington last weekend, but I'll root for Washington to finish the season unbeaten, but not as good as the Golden Bears.  :)

Does anybody want to win the National Championship?

Maybe LSU,or Baylor or TCU. But the latter two are so weak as to put the B1G's schedule like they were playing in the NFC.

tOSU still gets #1 by virtue of being Natl Champs, then I'd put LSU at #2, MI St at #3, Baylor at #4, and TCU at #5.

Go Hoosiers, indeed. I didn't see Sparty or the Buckeyes, but the scores are unimpressive. Did they look as bad as scores suggest?

1st Half tOSU were HORRIBLE! 2nd Half MI St was horrible. Buckeyes score should've been higher, but 7 crucial penalties and 2 critical turnovers made it too close for my comfort. The O-Line is a disaster this year.

1st Half tOSU were HORRIBLE! 2nd Half MI St was horrible. Buckeyes score should've been higher, but 7 crucial penalties and 2 critical turnovers made it too close for my comfort. The O-Line is a disaster this year.

Good to know.  Maybe we will finally, finally, finally give you a fight this year (other than 2013 which was a fluke, I think Michigan was under a magic spell).  Either way, both Michigan and the Buckeyes are significantly stronger on defense than offense. My only hope is that MSU gets healthy and really bangs you around the prior weekend. Also that we stay healthy. We're already down a running back and lost a critical defender today probably through the season.

At least all of America is Clemson fans tonight. Goooo Tigers!

Alabama proved they can still beat a team that doesn't use the spread.  I was hoping that Georgia would beat them and knock them out of the national title picture but they are still alive and well.  Georgia can never get over the hump to be a truly great team.

Ohio State vs Indiana was long but fun.  Indiana is a decent team and OSU can be more proud of that win than Michigan State against a shitty Purdue team.  Michigan State proved they are NOT the number two team in the country today (I don't know who the number one team is right now).

Penn State's offense is atrocious and their offensive coordinator needs to be canned.

I will say for the most part that the Big Ten is looking strong this season.  Good wins by Northwestern and Iowa.

It seems every team in Texas has adapted nicely to how football is playing nowadays except for the Longhorns.

You give #1 to tOSU by being the defending Natl Champion, being from one of the big 5, and because they're undefeated.

Last year, Florida for example. (Which was clearly worse than tOSU this year)

I'm just glad we don't play Northwestern this year.

I was rooting for Clemson and Georgia . Now 'Bama's one loss looks like MI State's win over OR.

This is a crazy college football season! More fun, more faux heart attacks.

Edited by roamyn

As much as the NCAA wants to make it about education, football is about wins. And talent wins. Boyd is a four star recruit that will have no problem finding another place to give him a free education if he decides to transfer.

No doubt, he should transfer. Mid-game tweeting about it though? Absolutely unacceptable.

I was so nervous Notre Dame was going to pull a Notre Dame and win yesterday. It was reeeeeally close. They were playing so fast and good in the 4th quarter and then a few very costly errors. I don't think they will drop too far in the rankings though.

So here's what I learned in week 5:

• Neither Ohio State nor Michigan State looked like the Top 2 teams in the country.  I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they both lost by the time they meet on November 21.
  • Texas is now 1-4.  Charlie Strong's seat continues to heat up.
  • It's becoming more clear that Ole Miss shot its wad in the Alabama game.
  • Every year Georgia never fails to lay an egg in at least one game.  This year is no different.  If not for Nick Chubb it would've been a lot worse.
  • There are now two undefeated teams left in the Pac-12.  By the end of next week there will be one, as those two teams will meet.
  • Clemson was *thisclose* to pulling a Clemson.
  • The U is still not back.
  • I wonder if Nebraska regrets getting rid of Bo Pelini.

Nebraska fans are never happy and refuse to accept that the Osbourne days are never coming back.

As I said, I'm picking Northwestern over Michigan State next week.  At least Indiana looks like a decent team so I won't kill Ohio State.  But Purdue is one of the worst teams in the country.  No excuse there.

Northwestern plays Michigan not Michigan State. It's in Ann Arbor. I haven't seen Northwestern play this year, so I have no clue what to expect.

This is a fun season! I've been extremely lazy and antisocial on Saturdays this year because it seems there's always something I want to see. Next weekend is a little less interesting; I don't think I care enough about Cal/Utah to watch that one.

Polls are out. Lots of teams getting first place votes including one for Texas A&M. MSU dropped a bit as they should because Purdue is indeed horrible.

Nebraska should have stayed in the Big 12.

At the time it looked like the Big 12 was on its last legs. In addition, the Big Ten paid better. 

They did it for the scholar athletes.

Northwestern plays Michigan not Michigan State. It's in Ann Arbor. I haven't seen Northwestern play this year, so I have no clue what to expect.

This is a fun season! I've been extremely lazy and antisocial on Saturdays this year because it seems there's always something I want to see. Next weekend is a little less interesting; I don't think I care enough about Cal/Utah to watch that one.

Polls are out. Lots of teams getting first place votes including one for Texas A&M. MSU dropped a bit as they should because Purdue is indeed horrible.

Ah.  That should be a good one then.

Goddamn it, I'm so irritated by Wisconsin's performance I can't even think straight.

You could have made a lot of money if you bet on: A. Ole Miss losing the week after their big win over Alabama, and b. Georgia losing to Alabama.

Nebraska left the Big 12 because Texas and five other schools were flirting with the Pac-12, and Tom Osborne thought they'd be left floundering without a conference.

I'd forgotten about how Texas and a bunch of other schools were considering leaving for then Pac-10.  That was the beginning of the superconference idea.  Leaving the Big 12 definitely benefitted both A&M and Missouri.