Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

I see all over Twitter how badly everyone feels for Michigan's punter but that didn't look like a very good snap so what could he do? (Other than fall on it)

It did look like a bad snap, but he should have just fallen on the ball. Great reaction by the Spartans and nice blocking to get it into the end zone.

Edited by MargeGunderson

Fuck.

Wolverines losing at least stops SI from cannonizing Jim Harbaugh this year.

Feel bad for the punter but really the god awful called 3 plays runnin up the middle made it even remotely possible.

Edited by caracas1914

I didn’t expect Penn State to win but they only score 10 points against a bad Ohio State defense?

Bad defense?!

Defense is why tOSU is undefeated this crazy season. Not sure where you're getting you're info.

Michigan can't get off a punt, Les Miles fakes a FG, I'm speechless, so let's go to Slim Pickins, "What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is goin' on around here?!?"

And that is why we love college football.

If you haven't had enough today, Utah-Arizona State is setting up for a potentially good finish. ASU just took a 1-point lead on, yup, a safety. Late night PACtion!

I hate Michigan, but that ending sucked. I hate it when one player will be blamed for the outcome of the game- a normal college player who will probably be cyber bullied and get heckled. It's a damn game and people feel the need to punish one person so cruelly. People suck.

People do suck. That punter has been solid all season. Shit happens, leave the kid alone.

The only positive I can take from today is that MSU and OSU should be undefeated in Big10 play when they meet and I am really looking forward to that game. I'll be happy either way because one will definitely lose. Also it should be a great battle.

Oregon is wearing lime green tonight? I guess they just wear whatever now.

• Love 2

People do suck. That punter has been solid all season. Shit happens, leave the kid alone.

The only positive I can take from today is that MSU and OSU should be undefeated in Big10 play when they meet and I am really looking forward to that game. I'll be happy either way because one will definitely lose. Also it should be a great battle.

It's already started on that punter, and he had a great game otherwise. Should he have lain on the ball, instead of trying to punt ot away? Sure, but he's a college kid, and their mental processes isn't always the best. Sadly, I think most of the cyber bullying comes from outside the community. From comments I've seen, the alumni & students don't seem to blame him. It's the armchair assholes making the rude comments. That reminds me of the soccer player in S. America who kicked the ball in the wrong goal, which lost the game, and was found murderer a few days later. Anf this was before the advent of the Internet.

People really due suck.

PS: It's THE Ohio State University (to differentiate from OK St U ;-P

• Love 1

Yay! Nebraska is taking back the $5-bits-of-broken-chair trophy. :)

I saw some things which made me hopeful for the rest of the season so that is good. And for the most part, it was a fun game for me to watch which made me want to watch the rest of the games. Having watched other games -- what a fun day in college football!

Here's what I learned in week 7:

• Michigan State should thank Michigan's punter for botching the snap that allowed them to win.
  • LSU is the lone undefeated SEC team.
  • I've heard some pundits say that Baylor is the best team in the country.  Get back to me when they can put up big numbers against an actual defense.
  • Northwestern really isn't that good.
  • Neither is Christian Hackenburg.
  • Indiana pulled a Clemson against Rutgers.

Thank you for commenting on this!  UW and Go Blue fan here, and on the way home, I caught the beginning of UW/Oregon on the radio, where they said that this is the sixth color combination that Oregon has worn this season.  When I got home and turned on the television, I could not believe the lollipop color helmets. 

Evolution, what is the deal with the National media ignoring FSU this year? Sure they have a lame schedule buy they are not The only ones.

If Florida State beats Clemson and Florida, they won’t be ignored.

Alabama is looking good as long as they don’t face an athletic team that uses the spread.  As long as Nick Saban refuses to join the modern football era, Alabama is going to be run off the field by more athletic teams.

They wear whatever Uncle Phil tells them to since he throws buckets and buckets of cash at the school.

As long as Nick Saban refuses to join the modern football era, Alabama is going to be run off the field by more athletic teams.

Completely disagree. I mean Saban has a pretty decent track record with a couple national championships and all. And has gotten there beating so-called more "athletic" teams in the SEC. 

I feel bad for the Michigan punter. That ending plus the Kick Six are the craziest endings to a college football game I've ever seen.

But Michigan State-Michigan did steal that from Wisconsin-Minnesota in 2005. Not quite a game-ender in that, but very, very similar. Kind of eerie since this year was the 10th anniversary of that game.

(Sorry, AimingforYoko)

Evolution, what is the deal with the National media ignoring FSU this year? Sure they have a lame schedule buy they are not The only ones.

It's not just the schedule.  Florida State hasn't really looked that impressive, plus that beatdown from Oregon is still fresh in their minds.  But if they can get past Clemson and Florida they'll definitely get some attention.

Even though it's still a month away that Florida game scares me.  I thought Florida would struggle to reach a bowl again this year, but they've been proving me wrong week after week.

Minneapple, didn't the Gophs fumble the ensuing kickoff?  Good times.  The Badgers include that blocked punt in the montage of plays they show at Camp Randall just before the team hits the field.  

Yes, the Gophers did fumble the ensuing kickoff. There were less than 30 seconds left and the Badgers were just able to kneel the ball after that. GREAT WIN, a couple of my Gopher family members had been calling me throughout the game. Laurence Maroney ran for about a thousand yards on us that day. AND IT WAS ALL FOR NAUGHT HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 

Ahem.

• Love 1

I had 2 family members at that game, surrounded by loud, very obnoxious Gopher fans who became very, very quiet and then slunk away as the Badgers ran around with the Ax.  My brother in law said he had never enjoyed a Badgers win more.  

• Love 1

It is a boring week, but I think that's still OK for GameDay.  I like when they do new schools.  I like it a little better when they do it in the middle of nowhere (looking at you North Dakota) because people who live there don't get attention very often, but still, fun for these FCS teams.

In case any of you were wondering as to my well being after this weekend's debacle (I know one person who is not!), I am getting over it.  I felt legitimately sad going about my life for most of yesterday, but it's going away. If I'm honest with myself, looking at the schedule 3 weeks ago I had already mentally marked the MSU game as a loss, so good for the team for (a) giving people confidence in them again and (b) almost actually winning. Sigh. We do have one more thing on the schedule that could be redeeming... or should I say could be The redemption. 

Next week is boring too. If Temple beats East Carolina then Gameday might head to Philly for Temple-Notre Dame.

AndreaK I got over back to back hail marys in 2011, horrible losses to MSU and Michigan in 2008. You will survive. Just look forward to The Game.

• Love 1

Lee Fitting, College Gameday's executive producer, went to James Madison. I think that played into the decision.

I don't mind them visiting small schools. I just hate it when they visit the same small school 2 years in a row (North Dakota).

If I'm honest with myself, looking at the schedule 3 weeks ago I had already mentally marked the MSU game as a loss, so good for the team for (a) giving people confidence in them again and (b) almost actually winning. Sigh. We do have one more thing on the schedule that could be redeeming... or should I say could be The redemption.

Hahaha!

Not a chance!

• Love 1

Lest we forget the craziest ending is still the Big Game circa 1982 with the 5 laterals and running into the Stanford band in the end zone ready to celebrate their win versus Cal.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZCCAqoSwY

Notice I didn't say "marching band". ; )

Edited by caracas1914

I'm sure when Woody and Bo were having their 10-year war, there were plenty of "not a chances" spoken. And yet. It's a rivalry game. Just take a look at what happened to Oklahoma a couple weeks ago.

If you can't rag on your rivals, then you've lost your way in life.

Beating MU doesn't mean it's not taken seriously, however. But it does mean your not allowed to say anything except 'That Team Up North' or the 'Walmart Wolverines'. :-D

Unless ur my brother who calls Lake MI, Lake Ohio State.

Lest we forget the craziest ending is still the Big Game circa 1982 with the 5 laterals and running into the Stanford band in the end zone ready to celebrate their win versus Cal.

I'm biased because I went to Cal, but I hate how everybody's proclaiming that play Saturday night as the greatest or most memorable college football play ever.

But I doubt it will endure for more than 30 years, like the Cal-Stanford The Play.

There's just too much craziness going on in that clip...we've seen a lot of crazy endings in recent years, including the Alabama-Auburn game.

But The Play spices things up with the band on the field AND a band member getting knocked down by the guy scoring the touchdown.

And you have the crazy announcer who manages to put everything in perspective instantaneously.

Random notes: 1 of the players who got the ball twice during the play, Richard Rodgers, is currently an assisstant coach for the Carolina Panthers. (He was Cal teeammates with Ron Rivera.) Rodgers' son is Aaron Rodgers' top tight end for the Green Bay Packers.

Another guy who touched the ball is currently in prison for killing his wife and son.

That's true. I was however only 3 years old when this happened, so I have no memory of it happening.

The Fiesta Bowl with Boise and Oklahoma also featured a crazy ending. And for an underrated crazy ending, how about Iowa blocking not just one, but two kicks against...Northern Illinois? a few years ago at the end of a game.

If you can't rag on your rivals, then you've lost your way in life.

That's true. I would never, however, risk jinxing my team by saying "no chance"! ESPECIALLY not in a series as rife with crazy stuff happening as Ohio State/Michigan.

It's interesting how too of the best coaches alive, Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh, have been burned by a special teams breakdown.  The end of that Michigan/Michagan State game was insane and one of the reasons I love college football.

• Love 1

Holy shit! College Gameday did a segment on the first openly gay college football player.

Why is this significant?

Because:

1) When Michael Sam came out, it was almost entirely NFL media people reacting, as I recall. Most, if not all, of the college football media people were silent. (I recall, though, that Chris Fowler retweeted something about it. That's it.)

2) I thought that was because with college football, you're talking about "kids"...young adults still close to their families. The NFL, however, is adult oriented, so it's okay to talk about stuff like being gay.

3) The piece was done by Rece Davis, College Gameday's host. It was not done by any of those Gameday reporters who are adept at doing profiles. Who cares? Well, Davis is from Alabama and very Christian and, as I once discovered, followed Ann Coulter on Twitter. I just assumed he would be the last person to tackle this topic..

4) College Gameday reporter Sam Ponder, who graduated from Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, has obliquely left the impression she doesn't like gays. She hasn't come out and said it because she doesn't want to get in trouble. But she's defended the Duck Dynasty's guy's anti-gay views on Twitter (again, not specifically, but obliquely). She also expressed satisfaction when it was revealed Michael Sam had a reality show in the works. (But ... maybe Ponder doesn't hate gays. Earlier this year, she moved to the gay capital, San Francisco, because her husband signed a contract with the Raiders, before being cut before the season.)

Again, I'm just shocked that the "taboo" subject of homosexuality was broached on College Gameday. (And judging by some -- but not many -- Twitter comments, a few people are pissed off.)

If you want to see the report, click here: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13957649&ex_cid=sportscenterTW&sf14496086=1

(edited)

Welp. Last week it was Michigan losing on a crazy last-second special teams play. This week it's Florida State. SOMEONE HAS ANGERED THE SPECIAL TEAMS GODS. 

Um, should someone check on Evolution101? I feel like some posters should start a support group...

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 2

There has been a series of crazy plays and crazy catches this year. And it's only half over.

My condolences to the families & surviving victims of today's OK tragedy.

Good luck to the Baylor QB, Russell. Hopefully they'll make him sit out for some time to heal. It's football; life's more than that.

What the hell happened to the Utes?! U guess the Pac 12 will not be represented in the playoffs this year.

And Thank God my tOSU Buckeyes are back. I wanted JT as QB from the beginning.

Welp. Last week it was Michigan losing on a crazy last-second special teams play. This week it's Florida State. SOMEONE HAS ANGERED THE SPECIAL TEAMS GODS. 

Um, should someone check on Evolution101? I feel like some posters should start a support group...

I banged my head against the wall a few times, but I'm fine now.  I knew it would be a matter of time before my guys slipped up, but I still can't believe they let THAT happen.

And with that, here's what I learned in week 8:

• Florida State special teams, you have failed me.  Even with the blocked FG, there's no way you should have allowed Georgia Tech to return it for a touchdown.
  • Utah, ranked #3 and undefeated, was the underdog against a 3-loss, unranked USC team.  Last night's game showed why.  Where was THIS USC team against Stanford and Washington?
  • The U suffered its worst loss in school history, yet a decision about Al Golden's job status hasn't been made.  The man has been there for 5 years, and the team hasn't gotten any better.  Cut him loose.
  • Nebraska reached the postseason every year Bo Pelini was the coach.  In Mike Riley's first year, Big Red is in serious danger of staying home for the holidays.
  • Temple is 7-0 for the first time ever.  Notre Dame awaits.
  • Memphis, Houston, and Toledo are also still undefeated.  Central Florida, meanwhile, remains winless.
  • Ohio State's offense is better with J.T. Barrett in it.

Condolences to those affected by what happened at Oklahoma State.

I didn't see a lot of games yesterday so I've been watching the ESPN recap shows this morning. Mark May went on a mini rant about strength of schedule and I could not agree more. There are a lot of teams you could argue are worthy of the Top 4, but if I were picking, lame non-conference opponents would be an automatic deduction. And yes, that will apply for Michigan next year who I believe is playing Hawaii, Colorado and UCF. That is not acceptable.

It thus leads me to this conclusion - if Notre Dame wins out they should 100% be in the playoff. Their schedules are always tough (yes, I know, different story being independent). However, as much as I dislike ND personally, I respect the hell out of their schedule.

My Top 4 are LSU, Clemson, TCU (assuming they beat Baylor after the QB injury) and MSU (assuming OSU will lose in Nov). But if ND wins out, one of those teams should go. Interesting year.

AndreaK, Mark May is ass. He despises the B1G and specifically tOSU. He is still making these strength of schedule accusations, even aft last year, when tOSU beat AL & OR in convincing fashion, and the B1G had a 4 out of 5 wins in bowls.

If analysts truly believed in that trope, Baylor would not be in the top 5, since they've only played HS level teams until this week.

Mark May's attitude/hatred of the B1G, got him removed from writing his ESPN blog.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurrier take the Central Florida job.  It'd be a good retirement gig for him.

I wonder if Miami will look at Butch Davis again.

Agreed about Mark May.  You can't scream about strength of schedule when Baylor is considered by many of the so-called experts to be the top team in the country.  The Big Ten has been the best and most interesting it's been in years and there strength of schedule has definitely improved.

OK, fine, it's inappropriate for Mark May to specifically hate one team and thereby the conference they play in since he is a national news figure.  Doesn't mean I can't enjoy the hell out of it.  Also, I think he can argue strength of schedule issues if he is consistent, which as far as I know, he is.I don't think he's hooting and hollering for Baylor either. The fact that he is an ass does not sway my opinions about strength of schedule either.

My main issue with it is non-conference scheduling anyway.  You can't help if your conference is having an up or down year, or even which teams end up on that schedule (for instance, the Big Ten overall is pretty good this year, but Ohio State played shit teams all the way up to Nov 14.  Not their fault.) But I really wish schools were encouraged to play at least one meaningful non-conference game, like Wisconsin-Alabama or MSU-Oregon. (I also say the fact that Oregon is in a down year is ok, because the intent of both schools was to play a challenging game). The AP is clearly unphased by schedules given that Baylor is a 2 and have played no one, but I hope that when it comes down to actually sorting out the Top 4 (which I think there will be several teams in contention for) the schedule is taken into account. 

I guess it is an irrelevant comment based on a future that we do not know what will happen in, and I derailed it by admitting it was an idea reignited by a guy everyone hates, but there you go :)

• Love 1

I completely agree.  With only four spots available for the College Football Playoff (which I like) schools need to step up their strength of schedule.  Sometimes they do like Michigan State playing Oregon but the team they beat ends up having a down year (Oregon).

Although I would also add that even though Michigan fans hate Ohio State and vice versa, they should both root for the other to go undefeated until it's time for them to play each other at the end of the season.  Beating an undefeated Michigan or Ohio State is a huge win for either team.

I completely agree.  With only four spots available for the College Football Playoff (which I like) schools need to step up their strength of schedule.  Sometimes they do like Michigan State playing Oregon but the team they beat ends up having a down year (Oregon).

Although I would also add that even though Michigan fans hate Ohio State and vice versa, they should both root for the other to go undefeated until it's time for them to play each other at the end of the season.  Beating an undefeated Michigan or Ohio State is a huge win for either team.

Michigan isn't undefeated. Michigan State is, however, but the only good team they've played is Michigan.

Baylor is probably done after losing their QB for the rest of the season.

Oh, I know Michigan isn't undefeated.  But I still think it's best to hope that your rival has a good record when you face him because style points still matter in college football to a certain degree.