Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Someone at Nebraska should be fired for that fade call on fourth and one.

Iowa/Nebraska is one of those rivalries that feels like it should have been played for about a hundred years.

That was a really stupid call. Apparently the first game was in 1891 and then almost every year for 40 years. So, not continuously for more than 100 years, but it goes back that far.

I almost bought a t-shirt that said keep calm and beat the Cornhuskers. I really, really hate the Cornhuskers. It was a dark day when they joined the Big10.

What's up with the 3rd down problems? That's supposed to be a strength for Iowa. They need a lot of work before the Big10 championship game, that's for sure.

ETA - I can breathe again. Whew......

Edited by MargeGunderson

What the hell is "game control"?

A quick Google search tells me that only the statheads at ESPN know how it's calculated. Which is total bullshit considering both announcers and the selection committee are increasingly using it to justify their rankings. 

• Love 1

I can't really hate Nebraska because, well. It's hard to hate a team when you keep whooping their ass.

I do think they're a perfect fit for the Big Ten. They belong in the B1G, moreso than Maryland or Rutgers anyway.

Agreed - Maryland and Rutgers have no business being in the B1G. I refer to them as Faux10. (and usually include Nebraska in there).

• Love 1

Dang. As a Nebraska fan I've never felt so welcomed by fellow BIG people. :|

Don't take it personally, we all hate on fellow Big10 teams. Everyone seems to have a particular rival that gets the worst trash talk; for Iowa it's the Huskers. But, when it comes to bowl time, it's Big10 all the way.

Edited by MargeGunderson

*** unless Ohio State is playing

I wasn't just checking wikipedia to do The Game-eve research on the series mainly to see the last time Michigan has won because it feels like it has been several decades. (3 years. Same feeling.) Did you know Michigan beat Ohio State 86-0 in 1902?  That fills me with joy.  Also did you know (to be fair and generous to the opponent) that OSU has had 7 Heisman trophy winners?  Impressive.

I will not be surprised either way tomorrow.  I think OSU has more athletic talent, but Michigan plays harder and better as a team.  Both teams are going to a good bowl but not the playoffs, so there isn't *that* much to play for other than pride, in which case, points to Michigan because we have almost no shame to lose as far as this rivalry is concerned lately.  The real question is whether an OSU player will be ejected and leave the stadium with middle fingers in the air like the classy lads they are.  Here's hoping.

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • Love 3

*** unless Ohio State is playing

I wasn't just checking wikipedia to do The Game-eve research on the series mainly to see the last time Michigan has won because it feels like it has been several decades. (3 years. Same feeling.) Did you know Michigan beat Ohio State 86-0 in 1902? That fills me with joy. Also did you know (to be fair and generous to the opponent) that OSU has had 7 Heisman trophy winners? Impressive..

*****I think you mean That State Up North. ;-P

MU holds the record of total overall wins, but tOSU has the only double Heisman winner in (Sir) Archie Griffin.

Also, John Heisman coached in Ohio - Cleveland to be exact.

Depending on what MSU does 2morrow, the winner of MU/tOSU will probably get the Rose Bowl berth - unless IA craps out in the B1G.

Right now - on paper at least - tOSU has more talent in its pinkie, but has played too complacent all year. MU has at least played with fire in their belly. And with all the players bitching over the past week abt the poor coaching job done in the MSU/tOSU game last Saturday, there's probably dissension in the ranks.

Edited by roamyn

There weren't injuries because the on-field drainage was good. Whoever did TCU's field should be commended because with poorer field conditions, that place turns into a mudbath. A cold, slick mudbath.

Stuff like the history of The Game is why I love college football. Remember 2006 when they were 1-2 and Bo Schembechler died on the eve of the game? ESPN had a countdown clock onscreen all week ahead of that game. And Michigan's chancellor was writing letters warning fans traveling to Ohio to be careful.

Wisconsin-Minnesota is a bit less...auspicious because the programs aren't as historically good as Ohio State-Michigan (which is probably the best college rivalry period). Still. I'd put up the Axe as the best trophy in college football. Let's make it 12 in a row!

Sorry, Ohio State fans but there was no way I was going to be wrong last week.  There was no chance PSU would beat Michigan State.  Ohio State has Urban Meyer, Michigan has Jim Harbaugh and Michigan State has Mark Dantonio.  All great coaches.  Penn State has James Franklin, a good recruiter who was a lousy offensive coordinator and a smoke-and-mirrors coach at Vanderbilt.  As long as this JV coach and his cronies are assistant coaches, it's not going to get any better.

Congratulations to Michigan State.  Mark Dantonio is a great coach who has built a fantastic program.

Ohio State picked today to look like a world-class team.

If IA wins the B1G, they'll be in the CFP.

But if MI St wins, I just don't see them there. They've won questionable games, won by the skin of their teeth, and had too many tight games. Unless it's a blow-out, I think the B1G might not have a representative if MI St wins. Or at least I don't feel they deserve it.

Great ND / Stanford game! Always a pleasure to watch ND go down. Too bad Auburn couldn't do the same to AL.

I don't see how Michigan State isn't in if they win the B1G.  Who do you see that would jump over them, and how?  I believe that they are at 5 currently in the rankings, Iowa is above them, they'd jump up to Iowa's spot. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

I don't see how Michigan State isn't in if they win the B1G. Who do you see that would jump over them, and how? I believe that they are at 5 currently in the rankings, Iowa is above them, they'd jump up to Iowa's spot.

TCU, AL, OU, Clemson. Those would be my picks. But you're right...who else? I just don't think they deserve it. They're not on a par with how the others are playing. And let's be honest: tOSU had a shitty game against them. Today they finally showed what they are on paper. If tOSU had played that way last week - MI St would've been creamed.

For the record, I don't think we belong there either, for the lazy ass way we played all season.

Edited by roamyn

I hate ND like any USC fan, but they play one of the toughest schedules every single year so I have to give them credit for that. USC is sure to get smoked by Stanford next week. They look good.

Iowa and Clemson looked terrible. Would have been sort of funny to see them lose to an unranked team and shake up the playoffs a bit. Of course barftastic Alabama is in there as a high ranked one loss team.

Edited by twoods

TCU won't jump them, they have 2 losses.  I assumed that If Alabama, Oklahoma and Clemson win out they would already be above them.  I just don't see anyone jumping them if they win.  As for deserve, all that matters is that you get in the playoffs and who knows what can happen. 

ETA:  I say this not as a Michigan State fan, my team is so woeful it is irrelevant in these discussions.

Edited by pennben

Michigan State is definitely in if they beat Iowa. There are few better resumes than MSU's. They beat Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan and a win Saturday would add Iowa to the list. In fact the B1G championship is a de facto quarterfinal for the playoff.

The chuckles happen if Clemson or Alabama lose. Then you might get two B1G teams in the playoff.

Paul Bunyan's Axe remains at home in Madison. 12 years in a row, bitches.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 1

The chuckles happen if Clemson or Alabama lose. Then you might get two B1G teams in the playoff.

I agree.  That's the much more interesting question.  I do think if Alabama loses, Ohio State goes in.  I'm not sure they go in if Clemson loses, but who knows.

Cal and Hawaii will kick off the 2016 season in Sydney, Australia.

Here's what I learned in week 13:

• What happens when there's too many bowls and not enough bowl eligible teams?  Get ready to see some teams with 5-7 records in the postseason.
  • Florida is gonna get slaughtered by Alabama next week.  That offense can't do ANYTHING.
  • Still thinking that North Carolina will beat Clemson next week.
  • Notre Dame can kiss its championship hopes goodbye.
  • Oklahoma is clearly the best team in the Big 12, and has solidified its spot in the playoff.
  • Les Miles may or may not have coached his final game in Baton Rouge.
  • Ohio State still owns Michigan.
  • Last year's TCU/Baylor game had a lot of offensive firepower.  This year's game, not so much.  And no, the rain was not the only reason both offenses were so bad.

The end of the Stanford/ND game was thrilling.

Boy howdy.  We were watching the Bedlam game, but since OU had pretty much put it away in the second quarter, we switched over to watch the end of the Stanford/Notre Dame game before going back to the bloodbath in Stillwater.  Being a Pac-12 rival, it's not often Stanford finds me rooting for them, but against Notre Dame?  Hell, yeah.

• Love 1

I believe the LSU AD already announced that Les Miles will be staying (good decision in my opinion). Georgia coach Mark Richt was fired this morning.

That ND/Stanford game ended so differently from so many previous ND games. I always expect them to pull a win out of their ass, but not this time!

Alabama is going to destroy Florida next week.  I think MSU wins handily over Iowa. I am not sure who UNC has played that would give any indication of how good they are, but I would not be surprised if they beat Clemson.  I hope Clemson wins though.  Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, MSU is a nice clean Top 4 and none of those teams have anything I personally dislike.  Speaking of, I don't know that there are any players this year that make me hate a team like Manziel, Winston, Cam Newton, etc.  The most offensive person in football this year is Ezekiel Elliot, and I hated him by association anyway.

Go Spartans!

eta: I'm watching the Sunday morning ESPN shows (I think I am one of the only people who actually enjoys them). Lots of people talking about OSU sneaking in if Clemson loses.  I would argue that UNC would deserve that spot. Oklahoma's loss to Texas is as bad as UNC's loss to USC and no one is even considering leaving Oklahoma out. Thoughts?

Edited by AndreaK1041

Go Spartans!

eta: I'm watching the Sunday morning ESPN shows (I think I am one of the only people who actually enjoys them). Lots of people talking about OSU sneaking in if Clemson loses. I would argue that UNC would deserve that spot. Oklahoma's loss to Texas is as bad as UNC's loss to USC and no one is even considering leaving Oklahoma out. Thoughts?

I agree. UNC should go in if they beat Clemso, IMO. But will the committee see it that way? Esp with several B1G committee members, and the perception that the defending Natl Champ gets a pass.

I wouldn't complain if they put in tOSU over UNC, if Clemson loses, but I will be prepared for the backlash.

ETA: Go Hawks!

Edited by roamyn

eta: I'm watching the Sunday morning ESPN shows (I think I am one of the only people who actually enjoys them). Lots of people talking about OSU sneaking in if Clemson loses.  I would argue that UNC would deserve that spot. Oklahoma's loss to Texas is as bad as UNC's loss to USC and no one is even considering leaving Oklahoma out. Thoughts?

You must have heard me yelling at my television this morning. I was watching College Football Sunday on ESPNU, and they all kept harping on the fact that UNC had a terrible loss to SCar, which was way back in the first week, but that Oklahoma was the best team in the country, even though they lost to Texas, a game played later in the season than week one. Someone brought up the fact that UNC played two FCS teams this year, but that was because the FBS school they had originally scheduled dropped out. I think UNC has the best chance at pulling the upset next week during the Conference Championship games. The winner of the Big Ten is in no matter what, Florida is putrid on offense so Alabama should be all over them, and all the sports talking heads are tremendously in love with Oklahoma now. So if Clemson plays like they did yesterday with all of those turnovers, UNC will capitalize on them unlike SCar, and if UNC wins, I think they should get in.

Of course I really want the playoffs to expand to eight teams, but I'll probably have to wait a couple more years for that thought to even be entertained.

Someone brought up the fact that UNC played two FCS teams this year, but that was because the FBS school they had originally scheduled dropped out.

I don't see how that matters. It's still two FCS teams and it's still a horrible nonconference schedule (though okay, at least they schedule a P5 team in Illinois, albeit a bad one). If we're going to rag on Baylor's nonconference schedule then it's completely fair to rag on UNC's. And UNC's nonconference schedule is bottom of the barrel, featuring Delaware and North Carolina A&T.

Alabama plays pushovers every year (Charleston Southern?) and nobody cares.

Because Alabama plays a Power 5 school every year to start off their season.  The team might not turn out to be that good but I can't knock their out-of-conference schedule when they make an effort to schedule a good opponent to start out their season.

Penn State has finally canned their shitty offensive coordinator John Donovan...

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2015/11/penn_states_james_franklin_mov_1.html#incart_river_index

The effects of the sanctions era definitely took their toll on Penn State but having seen almost every game this season, I saw an offense that didn't improve at all not just from last season but from game to game.  I saw a coaching staff that consistently made terrible decisions and a head coach who is awful at timeout management.  PSU ranked near the bottom on most offensive categories and a change needed to be made.  OL coach Herb Hand should be the next to go as the offensive line actually managed to get worse this season.

As I've said, James Franklin is a strong recruiter but an awful X's and O's coach going back to his days as OC at Kansas State.  You can get away with that if you have a strong OC but Donavan wasn't one.  Hopefully PSU gets someone who is much better for the position.  I saw some fans of the message board saying they should get Mark Richt.  Some of them were joking but some of them were serious.  I want to post back and remind them that a guy whose lifetime record is 145-51 doesn't need to go back to being an OC in order to get another crack at being a HC.

I think Georgia had reached a point where they just couldn't get over that final hurdle to being a national champion but if you're going to replace someone as successful as Mark Richt, you better damn well make sure that you are replacing him with a slam dunk hire.

Alabama plays pushovers every year (Charleston Southern?) and nobody cares.

People did care. The reporters ask him questions about it, especially when the SEC takes that weird break in the middle of the season for Cupcake Week, and Saban always bitches at the reporters for asking.

However, I'd argue that Alabama's conference schedule was a wee bit tougher than UNC's. Also Alabama beat its power five nonconference opponent (Wisconsin) while UNC lost to South Carolina.

I agree that Alabama's placement in the playoff is at least partly because, well, "they're Alabama," however. It would be amusing to see them lose to Florida. Although Florida's offense is SO AWFUL that I cannot fathom it. 

It sounds like everybody is just going to pretend like nothing happened, but I would really like to know what kind of conversations occurred between LSU administrators, boosters and state officials. They decided during a game that they weren't going to fire Les?

Top 5 in the playoff rankings remain unchanged from last week.

1. Clemson

2. Alabama

3. Oklahoma

4. Iowa

5. Michigan State

6. Ohio State

7. Stanford

8. Notre Dame

9. Florida State

10. North Carolina

TCU jumps to 11, Baylor falls to 12, Michigan falls to 15, Florida drops to 18,

Ohio State's only shot would be if Bama and Stanford both lost.  If Bama loses and Stanford wins, the committee will choose Stanford due to them being a conference champion and how well they've played.  So they're only chance is if Bama and Stanford both lose, then it would come down to Florida vs Ohio State.  Florida would have the wins over Bama and against Ole Miss, and the conference title, but they've also got an offense that can't come back from a 10 point deficit, they had terrible games like against Kentucky, Vandy, and FAU, and they were bailed out by the refs against FAU.  Seriously when the SEC Network commentators are pointing it out that says something.  They should have at least 3 losses.

Would Florida's wins over Bama and Ole Miss and the conference championship be enough to put them in the playoff over Ohio State, despite the 2 losses and how bad they've looked in wins?

Bama's not going to lose, so it's a moot point.

Clemson / UNC is a tight race on paper, but if Clemson loses, would they drop more than 3? They have wins over some fairly good teams, and losing to UNC right now would be a quality loss.