Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

It's official.  College Gameday will be in The City Of Brotherly Love for the Notre Dame/Temple game.

I know and isn't it great? Temple football has been the downtrodden of the downtrodden. They've been so bad for so long but now here we are, with a visit from College Gameday. Of course the Gameday crew won't get anywhere near the actual campus (we don't want gunfire to interrupt the broadcast, now do we?), they'll do the show on Independence Mall. Still, though, it's great they're coming here.

Baylor is probably done after losing their QB for the rest of the season.

I wouldn't count Baylor out just because they lost their QB.

After all, tOSU lost two QBs last year.

However, I would question Baylor until I see them play someone who has an actual defense.

And I also agree on strength of schedule needing to improve. But Western Michigan isn't the same low level as Stephen F. Austin.

And nothing will convince me to EVER root for that team up North. I rooted for the hated White Sox in the 2005 WS, but it's a law in Ohio that you can never root for MUA (and I'm sure it's vice versa there)

I promise you guys, when the CFP committee sits down to choose the field, Baylor' nonconference schedule will come back to haunt them.

Lamar

Rice

SMU

Barry Alvarez sits on the committee and he has made it a point over the last few years to improve Wisconsin's SOS. It's a Thing for him. Last year it didn't sit well with the committee that the Big 12 hadn't played a conference championship, and punished them accordingly. This year I think teams will get credit for at least scheduling power five teams in nonconference. When your conference doesn't feature a title game, there is no excuse for that nonconference schedule.

My old boss is an Ohio State fan. She would always cheer for Michigan in out of conference games. Begrudgingly, like, "those fuckers better not make the Big Ten look bad."

My old boss is an Ohio State fan. She would always cheer for Michigan in out of conference games. Begrudgingly, like, "those fuckers better not make the Big Ten look bad."

I feel this way about every other Big10 school, even the "Big10" Maryland and Rutgers who I still don't like in our conference.  I want everyone in the Big10 to win everything.

Almost everyone, that is. I would like to say I am a bigger person about the Buckeyes, but I am not. I want them to lose every single game.  I have a broad perspective on the rivalry having both lived in Ann Arbor and gotten my undergraduate degree from Michigan, and then later in life lived in Ohio and was an employee at OSU for 3 years.  From living in both places, I am so deeply entrenched in my disdain for the fanbase of Ohio State (not the University, or the academics, or the alumni, but the "others"), that I cannot cheer for them in any way, even if it in some way benefits anyone else.

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • Love 1

I promise you guys, when the CFP committee sits down to choose the field, Baylor' nonconference schedule will come back to haunt them.

Lamar

Rice

SMU

Barry Alvarez sits on the committee and he has made it a point over the last few years to improve Wisconsin's SOS. It's a Thing for him. Last year it didn't sit well with the committee that the Big 12 hadn't played a conference championship, and punished them accordingly. This year I think teams will get credit for at least scheduling power five teams in nonconference. When your conference doesn't feature a title game, there is no excuse for that nonconference schedule.

Wow. Baylor leaves/left Texas for three games: 1 in Oklahoma, 2 in Kansas.

Meanwhile, my team played back-to-back games in Austin and Seattle.

Almost everyone, that is. I would like to say I am a bigger person about the Buckeyes, but I am not. I want them to lose every single game. I have a broad perspective on the rivalry having both lived in Ann Arbor and gotten my undergraduate degree from Michigan, and then later in life lived in Ohio and was an employee at OSU for 3 years. From living in both places, I am so deeply entrenched in my disdain for the fanbase of Ohio State (not the University, or the academics, or the alumni, but the "others"), that I cannot cheer for them in any way, even if it in some way benefits anyone else.

And while I've not had the "pleasure" of living in MI, and I'll agree that some areas are gorgeous to visit, I know MANY MI fans that are probably the same as you've experienced. Uncouth, crass, tude, cold, and actually physically abusive to other fans.

Thank Goodness those type of fans aren't the majority.

While I have no love - or opinion really - on Harbaugh, he has done a great job this year. And if that team up North wins again this year, I will be upset, but at least we had championships in 2001 & 2014 seasons to dry my tears.

Jerry Kill, head coach at Minnesota, resigned this morning effective immediately. He's had epilepsy for years (you might remember he had a seizure on the sideline during a game a few years back), and while it was under control for the last few years it sounds as though he's having seizures again and was advised to retire immediately. His press conference this morning was heartbreaking. He's a guy who just loved to coach, and to hear him talk about how he doesn't know what else to do? Gah. 

It's been a rough week for Minnesota sports fans and beloved head coaches.

That game where Kill had the seizure on the sideline was scary. They were actually showing him on camera when he had the seizure.

He reportedly had two seizures yesterday and still attended practice. Probably retirement is a good thing for him. I wish him and his family well.

That lame punishment doesn't look good on Urban.

I would like to say I was wrong in my original post though. The media assumed the suspension included the bye week because OSU has a mandatory two week suspension in the substance policy. However, the AD put out a statement that since he was only charged with a misdemeanor, the mandatory punishment doesn't apply. (oh really? http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/compliance/pdf/current-drug-alcohol-policy.pdf)

So Urban got to name the punishment. And he decided one week would do it.

Edited by AndreaK1041

Watch the end of the Miami-Duke game.

Pretty hilarious interview on ESPN this morning with a former ACC rules guy.  He was on the phone seemingly giving technical explanations about reviewable plays, etc, but on screen they were showing highlights of the last play with arrows pointing out all the rules violations.  There were 5. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I'll grab my bus ticket to hell, but ... Steve Sarkisian couldn't have hit bottom a few weeks earlier than he did?

Every year, many other Cal fans and I think that USC looks beatable, and then we lose.

We haven't beaten USC since 2003, which was their last loss until they lost to Texas in the Rose Bowl National Championship game in 2006.

If Helton isn't hired as head coach, we'll be facing our 5th different USC head coach in 5 years next year. And we'll likely lose.

Here's what I learned in week 9:

• First it was Michigan's special teams that failed.  Then it was Florida State's.  Now it's Duke that allowed that kickoff return for a TD with just seconds left.
  • Florida is in the driver's seat in the SEC East.  Did anybody predict this would happen back in August?
  • Temple had a fighting chance against Notre Dame, but as soon as Temple was stopped on 4th down and had to kick a FG I knew the Irish would win.
  • Temple's coach won't be staying at Temple for too long.  One of the bigger schools will snatch him up.
  • How do you score 50 points in a game and still lose?  Easy, you're in the Big 12.
  • No matter how bad it gets for the Trojans, they can always count on one thing: beating Cal.
  • If Memphis and Houston can stay undefeated then that sets up a huge game on November 21 with a trip to the first-ever American Conference Title Game on the line.
  • The ACC Coastal is North Carolina's to lose.
  • Georgia Tech is in danger of staying home for the holidays for the first time under Paul Johnson.
  • Nebraska is in serious danger of staying home for the holidays.  Seriously, you lose to that Purdue team?
  • Michigan should thank its lucky stars that it escaped Minneapolis with a victory.
  • J.T. Barrett should thank his lucky stars that he'll only be out for next week's game against Minnesota.

The playoff rankings come out on Tuesday.  I predict the Top 4 will be (in no particular order): Ohio State, LSU, TCU, and Clemson.

So the kid who "scored" the game-winning TD for Miami was awarded ACC Special Teams Player of the Week honors, and this comes after the ACC says the officials screwed up and the TD should never have counted at all. I hope that kid played lights out throughout the whole game because otherwise that choice makes no sense by the league.

#1 - Clemson (no argument)

#2 - LSU (no argument)

#3 - tOSU (surprised, but not arguing)

#4 - Alabama...wait...ALABAMA?! Fg 1 loss (which is turning out to be a bad loss) to fricking Alabama Guess the committee is made up of ESPN "analysts"

Given my pissing and moaning about strength of schedule, I can only be pleased by the first rankings. It's ok to me that Bama is there. They will either prove or not prove their worthiness of the Top 4 in 5 days anyhow, but their loss is not so bad (Ole Miss is still in the Top 20) and was really early in the season, which matters a lot.

Not much love for the Pac12. I think the good Pac12 teams look pretty good when I see them play.

Not much love for the Pac12. I think the good Pac12 teams look pretty good when I see them play.

The Pac12 has been all over the place. They keep beating each other up. I wouldn't be surprised to see them left out, if Baylor wins out (doubtful), or OK.

I'm not surprised at MI St rank, but I would've put Iowa over them. They're damn lucky they're not a 2 loss team.

The conspiracy theorist in me believes that ESPN leaned on someone to put Alabama at No. 4 just to spice up this weekend's game with LSU.

I actually do feel bad for Michigan State. They're undefeated with wins over Michigan and Oregon. But -- like I said, plenty of time to go. 

Actually, since I hate Michigan State, never mind. I don't feel bad for them.

• Love 1

I'm giving a side-eye to Alabama. They lost at home to a highly overrated Ole Miss team and barely beat Tennessee. I'm not sure how they're play-off worthy at this point in the game. I have a feeling people in Texas will riot if Baylor and TCU get the shaft like they did last year.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

I'm giving a side-eye to Alabama. They lost at home to a highly overrated Ole Miss team and barely beat Tennessee. I'm not sure how they're play-off worthy at this point in the game. I have a feeling people in Texas will riot if Baylor and TCU get the shaft like they did last year.

Likewise.  They get in do to past performance, despite they fact that they'll likely get run off the field again if they face another athletic team in the playoffs.  I hope LSU puts them away for good this year.

Baylor and TCU will definitely be there with an undefeated record.

Michigan State hasn't looked impressive and has had too many close games.  But wins against Ohio State, Michigan and possibly an undefeated Iowa in the Big 10 Championship game would certainly change that.

So this is annoying. If Alabama beats LSU this weekend, Bama rises in the CFP rankings and LSU falls. But only to like No. 4 because hey, they lost to Bama. So there'll be two one-loss SEC teams in the top four with a bunch of undefeateds on the outside looking in. This is the issue with the SEC rankings and the echo chamber.

• Love 1

So this is annoying. If Alabama beats LSU this weekend, Bama rises in the CFP rankings and LSU falls. But only to like No. 4 because hey, they lost to Bama. So there'll be two one-loss SEC teams in the top four with a bunch of undefeateds on the outside looking in. This is the issue with the SEC rankings and the echo chamber.

Especially Iowa.

But I look to LSU to win this weekend.

I don't think Iowa is going to win the Big10 championship game, so that will probably be a moot point.  I have a really, really hard time thinking of the rankings in terms of right now and not looking ahead though.

Is it possible for the loser of Alabama-LSU to still go to the SEC championship game if the winner does not lose any more games?  Like if LSU loses, can they still go to the championship game if they win the rest of their games?  If so, we have an SEC problem on our hands come Top 4.

Not having a conference title game is going to bite the Big12 in the ass again.  Why are they so opposed? The Big10 didn't used to have one either, and I don't feel like having it is bad.  Plus the conference is currently really lopsided with Nebraska and Wisconsin having down years, so it is actually to Iowa's benefit to have a shot at a super impressive win to cap off an undefeated season. But then that possibility is in the minds of the playoff committee (well, if they win the championship, then we will move them up), so they are ranking on future not present as well.  This is a very circular post.

Not having a conference title game is going to bite the Big12 in the ass again.  Why are they so opposed? The Big10 didn't used to have one either, and I don't feel like having it is bad.  

They're not opposed. They just can't have one because the NCAA requires a conference to have 12 teams for a championship game. And Texas, the team that controls the Big 12, doesn't see any candidates fit for expansion. They're not inviting BYU because you know, Mormons. They're not inviting teams like Memphis or Cincinnati because Texas looks down its nose at those kinds of teams. So for now the Big 12 is stuck at 10 teams and no championship game. And a big ol' MINUS in its column when it comes to deciding the CFP teams.

(It probably didn't help last year when they pushed that whole ONE TRUE CHAMPION thing and then couldn't decide who the True Champion was.)

They're not opposed. They just can't have one because the NCAA requires a conference to have 12 teams for a championship game. And Texas, the team that controls the Big 12, doesn't see any candidates fit for expansion. They're not inviting BYU because you know, Mormons. They're not inviting teams like Memphis or Cincinnati because Texas looks down its nose at those kinds of teams. So for now the Big 12 is stuck at 10 teams and no championship game. And a big ol' MINUS in its column when it comes to deciding the CFP teams.

(It probably didn't help last year when they pushed that whole ONE TRUE CHAMPION thing and then couldn't decide who the True Champion was.)

But they can ask for an exemption. This was explained to them last year.

And why are they so opposed to finding another team or two? In the whole state of TX, not to mention KS, OK, etc, there isn't TWO teams worthy enough to join? And why limit themselves to specific states? The Big 10 & ACC don't.

(edited)

Don't forget the politics involved when the Texas teams were folded into the Big 8. Baylor got in because the governor of the state at the time was an alum. Texas Tech also had alumni in powerful political positions. That's why those schools got in and schools like Houston and TCU were left behind.

Texas does whatever it wants. They conned ESPN into overpaying for the Longhorn Network. They're going to re-up with Nike for $200 million, the richest apparel deal in college sports. That's in spite of their football and basketball programs not having done anything of note in many years.

Maybe LSU and New Mexico?  Or heck, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane?

LSU? Like the LSU from the SEC? Yeah, not happening. The rest of those schools are not good enough for Texas. Note that while there have in the past been rumors of Texas to the Big Ten or Pac-12, there has never been so much as a whisper of Texas to the SEC. Why not? Because Texas wouldn't associate itself with SEC academics. Which is kind of hilarious when you consider the academics of some of the Big 12 schools. But that's the logic from Texas.

Texas would actually be perfect for the Big Ten if they could just get over themselves. Even Ohio State and Michigan buy into the whole Big Ten business -- what's good for you is good for me, we all share our money and our network and our academics.

Edited by Minneapple

If the Big10 can get on board with Maryland and Rutgers, the Big12 should be able to accommodate someone.

I still don't get those teams. What do they add? Makes no sense geographically, academically or athletically. Maybe the Big12 wants them?

Sure they split money/revenue, but they also share more.

Where a team lands in the playoff standings, is important to the Board, because the higher the standings, the better the playoff, the more money.

So for the Big 12 to be left out of the playoff race for that reason, means a loss of revenue. TCU could be undefeated forever, and continually left out because of the lack of "one true champion", as long as there are REAL champions or quality 1-loss teams left.

Edited by roamyn