Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I know that the problem of sexual assault on college campuses extends beyond athletes behaving badly, but Baylor football sounds like it is a total cesspool. 

Something's rotten at Baylor and it's way past time to pay attention

However, Art Briles is very good at coaching football, so I'm sure no responsibility for the parade of rapists associated with his team will be attached to him.

C'mon! Baylor is that paragon of virtue where a basketball coach tried to smear a dead player's name. I'm sure they wouldn't prioritize football and the revenue it generates over its female students' safety. Not in Texas!

(edited)
6 hours ago, benteen said:

Briles deserves to be fired and Ken Starr and the AD should join him.

The ridiculousness are the moron players on social media calling this injustice and other things. What about the women that were assaulted- where is their justice? I just can't.

And now recruits are pulling out since they aren't playing for "their" coach. Guess there wasn't a problem when there was a cover up involved but now it's different!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, twoods said:

The ridiculousness are the moron players on social media calling this injustice and other things. What about the women that were assaulted- where is their justice? I just can't.

Whenever I saw a little kid throwing a tantrum over not getting some toy at the mall, I always thought, "Man, how nice is it to have your world so small that not getting a toy is the worst thing in the world." Some people's worlds just never got bigger.

• Love 3

Nebraska punter Sam Foltz and former Michigan State punter Mike Sadler passed away in a car accident Saturday night/Sunday morning in Wisconsin. They were in Wisconsin to help teach at the Kohl's football game. 

It was actually a kicking camp run by Jamie Kohl. Just really tragic. I remember Sadler having funny Twitter exchanges with FauxPelini. And Foltz was one of the best punters in the country. Nebraska is understandably not participating in Big Ten media days this week.

• Love 1

Saban is being a total coward hiding behind the "rules" in preventing that kid from transferring.

Shit like this is why I always root for the players when they try to form unions or sue the NCAA.

• Love 1

Painful and crushing.  I feel for Hannah Storm, who had to break this unexpected news about more than 18 months after having to be the person to break the expected but sad news re: Stuart Scott. Both on Live Sportscenter.  Agreed, mojoween.  John Saunders will live on for me as being apart of college football (this year obviously and the next year and so on). In spirit but I guess I echo the feelings of many (at ESPN) in terms of his work and presence in NCAAF (as well as college hoops and hockey).

So I guess it's technically opening day?  The total lack of interest in the Hawaii-Cal game on ESPN this morning (even so far as to say it is uninteresting and people will likely not watch) led me to believe it was on another network but... nope. Kind of crazy for Hawaii to be playing in Australia today and Ann Arbor in a week.  Entirely too much flying for my tastes!

Oh my god, this may be another long season as a USC fan.  I really wanted an upset against Kiffin and that turd Saban, but just wanted a respectable performance showing things were gelling.  And I got that - on one side of the ball, and for about a quarter and a half.  Yikes!  When the defense gave up that huge TD, the wheels fell off the wagon.  That has been a problem for every time since Carroll left; something ugly happens, and they implode emotionally.

I'm certainly not throwing in the towel, but we have such a tough schedule -- I'm going to make sure the beer fridge and liquor cabinet stay fully stocked.

I wasn't able to watch the Oklahoma loss, so I don't know whether they got beat or beat themselves, but I'm not having a good opening weekend.  At least UCLA lost.  And LSU.

• Love 1

Huge Badgers fan here and I couldn't watch the game (long story) but sooo happy they beat LSU.  Just got home and fired up the DVR.  First I watched the last 5 minutes (I knew the Badgers won and wanted to see the celebration) and could not believe the cheap shot by the LSU o-lineman after the pick..  Should be suspended at least one game IMO.  Hopefully LSU acts so the NCAA doesn't have to.  Al least the officials saw it.  Badger fans always remember Jim Sorgi being strangled by an Ohio State linebacker and no flag on the play.  In today's game, I was really surprised Levy and Griese didn't talk more about the cheap nature of that hit.  You don't often see such blatant cheap shots. 

It was fun to watch all the Wisconsin kids do the Lambeau Leap.  What a great experience for them. 

• Love 1

That LSU guy who cheapshotted the Wisconsin player should be suspended for a game but I wouldn't count on LSU to do anything about it.  I'm amazed LSU let Les Miles back on the bus after that loss.

Oh my god, this may be another long season as a USC fan.

If Helton doesn't work out, I'm sure USC will hire another ex-USC coach because that's all they consider for the job.  To use a South Park line, USC has fallen in love with the smell of their own farts.

Clemson ain't exactly looking good tonight.

I also just saw the clip of Nebraska honoring Sam Foltz, and yes, it got a little dusty in my living room.  Really sweet way to honor Foltz, and good job by Fresno State declining the delay of game penalty. 

Rafael Gaglianone, the kicker for Wisconsin who kicked the game winning FG, changed his jersey number to 27 to honor Foltz.  Maybe some help with those 3 kicks today? 

• Love 3

Clemson was really unimpressive last night.

Big Ten went 12-2 I believe in Week 1.

They had a very nice tribute to Saunders during halftime of the Houston/Oklahoma game.

I saw some of the tribute for Sam Foltz by Nebraska.  Even sadder.

That was a fun game to watch. I loathe Notre Dame so it was doubly fun. Brian Kelly always looks like he's going to kill someone on the sideline. A player, a waterboy, one of his assistants. And it's amusing to see just how many shades of purple his face can turn into. 

• Love 6

Sarkisian is interviewing with Saban and Kiffin?

I'm all for second chances, and know he went through "rehab", but it felt like he was still in denial about the amount of damage alcohol had done to his life.

I guess Art Briles is next.

ETA That was more ambiguous than I intended. I mean  Briles is next up on the redemption tour in general. Even though he clearly thinks nothing at Baylor was his fault. 

Edited by xaxat
28 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Sarkisian is interviewing with Saban and Kiffin?

I'm all for second chances, and know he went through "rehab", but it felt like he was still in denial about the amount of damage alcohol had done to his life.

I guess Art Briles is next.

Nah, he's not a USC guy. I'm assuming Kiffin got Sark the interview.

As an alumn of Nebraska and a native (although I now live in the south), oh man, I was not prepared for the emotions at the start of our game. And then some a'holes robbed Foltz's house during the game. Ugh. Heart is breaking again. 

Overall, it is great to have college football back! College Football Final was great too because no Mays or Holtz. 

FSU-Ole Miss was a fitting end to a great weekend of college football. Ya gotta wonder what Jimbo said to his players at halftime. Did he threaten to withhold their paychecks? I keed, I keed.

Speaking of Jimbo, LSU might try to make a run at him again, but I bet he says no. Then they might go after Tom Herman, who might say yes and that might put an end to Houston's bid for the Big 12.

• Love 2