Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

My thing is, the SEC is a billion-dollar enterprise. Have a fucking contingency plan in place. Your teams play in hurricane country, in hurricane season. This is not your first time here and I recognize that tree.

Otherwise oh, well. The coaches, ADs and Greg Sankey got paid. Who cares about the fans? What does it matter anyway?

• Love 1

Obviously what's really annoying me in this USC/Colorado game is that USC keeps fumbling the damn ball, a huge hole in what is otherwise some nice, solid play, but hearing the Buffaloes called the Buffs is also bugging me because I keep hearing it as Bucs. 

1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

Who cares about the fans? What does it matter anyway?

I'm not sure if this was meant to be sarcastic or not, but in the face of such circumstances, yes, the feelings of fans aren't the priority.  And they really shouldn't be.  The people involved here are more than tools who only exist to entertain.  Although, given the schools and conference involved here, I'm pretty sure that not considering the fans wasn't the case.  

I want to see the game get played too, but there's no way to make all fans happy.  They could have held that game in Baton Rouge, but what about all the Florida fans, for which this was supposed to be a home game, who couldn't get out there?  Or the fans who have no power right now who weren't going to be able to watch?  Then you start to get into the conversation of which fans and whose fans matter more.  It's a slippery slope and a moot point anyway.  There were human lives that needed to be considered first.

I'm sure there are fans who are just thrilled at the quality football that's being played in North Carolina today.  I mean, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

As far as contingency plan, what can they do really?  Maybe push the SEC Championship (and other conference championships) back a week to have a Saturday where no one is playing and use that as a make-up day if necessary.  I don't know, but given the circumstances that they had to work with this year, right now, they made the right choice.  Fans be damned.  

• Love 1

I don't know if the fans at NC State were thrilled, but nearly 60,000 showed up in a hurricane to watch the game anyway.

South Carolina moved their game to Baton Rouge last year. This year they play on Sunday. Other Florida teams have made arrangements. Florida didn't even try. That's the point. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I don't know if the fans at NC State were thrilled, but nearly 60,000 showed up in a hurricane to watch the game anyway.

South Carolina moved their game to Baton Rouge last year. This year they play on Sunday. Other Florida teams have made arrangements. Florida didn't even try. That's the point. 

How do you know that they didn't try?  Because they didn't choose the option that you wanted that was going to allow it to happen?  Because they refused to just rush and throw something together last minute to make it happen "for the fans" and put people's lives at risk?  The state of Florida can be ass-backwards when it comes to some things, but the one thing we don't f- around with are hurricanes.  Never mind the logistics of equipment and travel for over a hundred people, some of whom might be directly impacted by the major hurricane.  These aren't exactly moves that can be made on the fly.  And I could be wrong, but wasn't there more time than a day or two to move the South Carolina game last year?

What exactly is it that you feel they didn't do?  What is it that they could have done where there's no good reason not to do it that would have been fair to everyone?  And it's not like Florida is the only one involved here.  What else has LSU offered up besides Baton Rouge?  They are right now the block to the November 19 date as make-up.  Understandably so.  They don't want to play three big SEC games in a row on the road.  No one would want to.

I mean, damn the University of Florida for coordinating the hurricane to avoid big bad LSU!  Who aren't really even that impressive this year to be honest.  And neither are the Gators.

And good for those 60.000 who decided to show up in North Carolina today.  Are the ones who chose to not risk the weather somehow less of a good fan?  Of course not.  Or what about if one of those players, on either team, got seriously hurt sliding around in mud pool that field ended up being?  Would it have been worth it?  I guess so, if doing things "for the fans" is the priority.  I'll cut North Carolina some slack though, they haven't been forecast to get much from Matthew.  The track had it curving out to sea before it got that far North, so those in charge probably didn't think it would affect them.  Crazy how the unpredictable weather can influence things .  .  .

Edited by KBrownie
Had more to say/spelling
  • Love 1

Texas AND LSU are now edging away from Tom Herman. Although, loss aside, he would still be a great hire.

Tennessee's loss takes a lot of air out of the game against Bama next week.

What a win for Florida State! A blocked extra point and seven straight wins over Miami. 

College Gameday coming to Madison! Two top-10 teams, a beautiful fall day in the greatest college town of them all and a night game. Madison will be lit next weekend.

15 hours ago, KBrownie said:

How do you know that they didn't try?  Because they didn't choose the option that you wanted that was going to allow it to happen?  Because they refused to just rush and throw something together last minute to make it happen "for the fans" and put people's lives at risk?  The state of Florida can be ass-backwards when it comes to some things, but the one thing we don't f- around with are hurricanes.  Never mind the logistics of equipment and travel for over a hundred people, some of whom might be directly impacted by the major hurricane.  These aren't exactly moves that can be made on the fly.  And I could be wrong, but wasn't there more time than a day or two to move the South Carolina game last year?

What exactly is it that you feel they didn't do?  What is it that they could have done where there's no good reason not to do it that would have been fair to everyone?  And it's not like Florida is the only one involved here.  What else has LSU offered up besides Baton Rouge?  They are right now the block to the November 19 date as make-up.  Understandably so.  They don't want to play three big SEC games in a row on the road.  No one would want to.

I mean, damn the University of Florida for coordinating the hurricane to avoid big bad LSU!  Who aren't really even that impressive this year to be honest.  And neither are the Gators.

I understand your point, but I must defend Mineapple.

The SEC & ACC had DAYS to re-schedule, ship equipment & personnel, or WAIT UNTIL SUNDAY!

Matthew wasn't some fast moving hurricane, it too 7 DAYS to arrive in NC, and 4 for FL.

There are now at least 8 deaths in NC - 7 water related ones.  There was absolutely no reason to chance the possibilty of more, not to mention the issue that there could've been some devestating player injuries playing in those conditions.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, roamyn said:

I understand your point, but I must defend Mineapple.

The SEC & ACC had DAYS to re-schedule, ship equipment & personnel, or WAIT UNTIL SUNDAY!

Matthew wasn't some fast moving hurricane, it too 7 DAYS to arrive in NC, and 4 for FL.

There are now at least 8 deaths in NC - 7 water related ones.  There was absolutely no reason to chance the possibilty of more, not to mention the issue that there could've been some devestating player injuries playing in those conditions.

You both still aren't acknowledging all the other perfectly good reasons not to play that have nothing to do with how long it took to make arrangements. It's like that is the absolutely only thing that kept it from happening. Let's just ignore everything else. Or is it just a lack of emotional empathy for the human element involved in this?  I get it. Florida has to be the villain in this silly melodrama.  Florida. The ones who were most at risk and affected. It's quite ironic.  

This article sums it up pretty well. 

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/lsu-florida-will-be-played-but-reactions-to-its-postponement-have-been-appalling/

The baseless speculation is embarrassing. Also, the writer points out that Jeremy Foley may have declined LSU's offer because there was still a chance the game could be played as scheduled if the track changed. But nope.  He was just scared. A catastrophic hurricane that had already killed over 800 people is headed straight at you, no one really knows what it's going to do, and you get demonized for erring on the side of caution and not placing a football game and the fans at the top of the list of priorities. 

Edited by KBrownie
Grammar/ more to say
  • Love 1

Here's what I learned in week 7:

• Hurricane Matthew caused a few games to be postponed.  There were some games played this week that should've been postponed (looking at you, games in the state of North Carolina).
  • My Noles now have the longest winning streak in the series against Miami, and have won six straight at Miami.  U mad, Canes?
  • Colorado's time in the Top 25 was short-lived following a loss at USC.
  • Texas and Oklahoma combined for the most points ever in this Red River Shootout.  Still, with 144 points now given up in the last 3 games, I'll be surprised if Charlie Strong is still at Texas next year.
  • So much for Houston being undefeated until the Louisville game in November.  Navy turned out to be more than they could handle.
  • Texas A&M was thisclose to choking the game way against Tennessee.
  • Remember when Rutgers won 10 games in a season and was ranked in the Top 10 at one point?  2006 must seem like an eternity ago for Rutgers.
  • Oregon is really missing Marcus Mariota.
  • The Pac-12 North (and possibly the conference) is now Washington's to lose.
  • Back-to-back blowout losses for Stanford.  What the hell is going on in Palo Alto?
  • TCU should be ashamed for almost losing to Kansas.

College Gameday will be in Tuscaloosa next week for Texas A&M/Alabama.

Here's what I learned in week 7:

• My Noles have now prevented Wake Forest from getting in the end zone in 5 straight home games.  The last time Wake scored a TD was in 2006 when my guys were shut out.
  • Clemson lucked out big time.  The only reason NC State didn't win is because their kicker couldn't hit a FG to save his life.  And storming the field at the end?  Really, Clemson fans?
  • As if we needed any proof that "The U" isn't back, they go and lose to North Carolina.
  • Alabama showed just how average Tennessee really is.
  • Michigan State has now lost 4 straight.  And they still have Michigan and Ohio State on their schedule.
  • Oklahoma finally beat Kansas State in Norman.
  • Brian Kelly's seat is getting hotter.

I think VA Tech lost due to the ugliness of Syracuse's uniforms. Ugh.

11 minutes ago, Evolution101 said:

Brian Kelly's seat is getting hotter.

YAY! I just hope Notre Dame doesn't end up hiring a competent coach.

giphy.gif

• Love 2

Kelly's buyout is also believed to be north of $20 million. Notre Dame never learns. They were paying Charlie Weis until just recently and now they're saddled with an enormous contract for Kelly, whose behavior is more embarrassing than his losses. Same with Iowa and Ferentz. 

• Love 1

Duke probably should have beaten Louisville.  NC State REALLY should have beaten Clemson.  The better team won between Ohio State and Wisconsin but the Badgers again prove they are a legit team, especially on defense.

Brian Kelly has been a lunatic on the sidelines for years.  He's a really good coach but a meathead coach who got someone killed and I don't get how he recruits kids to play for him.

• Love 1

So the Big 12 won't be expanding. They went through this whole song and dance about expansion, but I guess ESPN and Fox Sports were willing to pay for them to not expand (which, rumors a few years ago said ESPN basically created the Longhorn Network to get Texas to stay in the Big 12).

I would be willing to bet good money that the biggest reason they didn't expand, though, is that Texas is still sitting fat and happy with the way things are.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Evolution101 said:

IMO The Big 12 won't be around in 5 years.

It's possible. If Texas wasn't so TEXAS, it would be the perfect Big Ten school IMO. Big land grant state school, great research facilities. But there's the pesky issue of LHN, so. Not happening any time soon. 

25 minutes ago, benteen said:

To borrow and slightly alter a line from Game of Thrones, Texas would rather see the Big 12 burn as long as they could remain King of the ashes. 

Does that make Melisandre the head cheerleader?

2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Heh, they lost on a blocked FG. I have to think the folks in Ann Arbor are a little disappointed too.

False. I'm a Michigan alumna and am THRILLED. 

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • Love 1

College Gameday will be in Salt Lake City next week for Washington-Utah.

Now here's what I learned in week 8:

• After a big win in Madison, Ohio State fell for the trap in Happy Valley.  Though it could've been avoided had they not choked the game away in the 4th quarter.
  • Speaking of traps, a warning to West Virginia: Stillwater awaits you.
  • Falling to Navy is one thing, but SMU?  That's a bad loss for Houston.
  • Western Michigan is off to its best start in 75 years.
  • Nebraska is off to its best start in 15 years.  But they have a date at Camp Randall.
  • Anytime you see a team has put up 59 points and that team is losing, you know you're watching a Big 12 game.  Defenses need not apply.
  • Michigan State has lost 5 straight...and Michigan is just around the corner.  Yikes.
  • Oregon has also lost 5 straight.  I'll be amazed if Mark Helfrich is back next year.
  • Charlie Strong is done at Texas.  There's no way he's coming back, even if Texas wins out.
  • Remember when Christian McCaffrey was a Heisman contender?  Those days are long gone.  Again I'll ask, what the hell is going on at Stanford?
Edited by Evolution101
  • Love 1

Out of MSU, Stanford, and Oregon, I think MSU is the most shocking. Mark Dantonio has had enough recent past success to (probably) not be fired after this season, but that was an incredibly quick decline.

Mark Helfrich doesn't seem to develop quarterbacks. Also, since the Ducks favor the score under 2 minutes method, they have difficulty eating the clock which could help since their defense hasn't ever been particularly good. Sometimes they would come up with a timely interception, but a half decent offense could always march up and down on them. And the addition of Brady Hoke hasn't changed a thing on the defensive front.

IF a Big 12 team manages to remain undefeated and gets into the playoff, they'll have their lunch eaten by the Saban Sourpusses.

That's a welcome change for the College Gameday location, it's only been SEC/B1G/ACC territory.

9 hours ago, Evolution101 said:
  • Nebraska is off to its best start in 15 years.  But they have a date at Camp Randall.

Ah. Camp Randall has been a house of horrors for Nebraska. Lovely, lovely memories of Russell Wilson and Melvin Gordon having career nights against the Huskers. Let's just hope the trend continues.

MSU's defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi left a couple years ago, I think that's why Sparty has declined. It's unfortunate timing for them to say the least, with Michigan's resurgence.

And Michigan appears to be a better team than Ohio State. However unfortunate for Michigan this year, The Game is in Columbus. Really really tough to beat the Suckeyes at home.

College Gameday, I think, tends to avoid the Pac-12 because they play a lot of those #Pac12AfterDark games, played at God only knows what time. I just don't know if they'll ever get to a Washington State game. That WSU flag has been at every Gameday since who knows when.

• Love 1

College Gameday is going to Baton Rouge next week for Alabama/LSU.

Here's what I learned in week 9:

• Several undefeated teams went down this week: Baylor, West Virginia, Boise State, Nebraska.  Clemson should've joined that list, by my guys couldn't stop them.
  • That Florida State O-Line has to get better.
  • If there's one thing USC can count on every year, it's beating Cal.
  • With Tennessee losing again, That Team From Gainesville is now firmly in the driver's seat in the SEC East.
  • Lousiville was lucky to escape Charlottesville with a win.  Likewise, Ohio State was lucky to beat Northwestern at home.
  • The Canes are showing just awful they really are now.
  • Six straight losses for Michigan State.  Luckily for them, their next opponent is even worse.
  • The Big 12 can officially kiss its playoff hopes goodbye.

There are rumors of a total meltdown in Tennessee. Jalen Hurd has left the team and is transferring, and other players may not be far behind. It wasn't so long ago that Tennessee was a media darling, ready to take back the SEC...the view is different from a few weeks ago.

A&M over Washington is pure bullshit to create "controversy" and discussion. There is no way they'd let a one-loss team that didn't win a title in over a one-loss or even two-loss team that won a conference championship. 

• Love 4

WTF Big Ten?  Friday night games?  What a lousy idea.  Screws with recruiting, is a big FU to high school football, and as a season ticket holder who works for a living, I would have to use vacation time in order to get to a Friday night game on time.  College football is supposed to be played on Saturday, when a majority of people have the day off.  High school games on Friday, college on Saturday, and the NFL on Sunday. 

Just now, Calvada said:

WTF Big Ten?  Friday night games? 

They are doing it for the money scholar athletes.

19 hours ago, Minneapple said:

A&M over Washington is pure bullshit to create "controversy" and discussion. There is no way they'd let a one-loss team that didn't win a title in over a one-loss or even two-loss team that won a conference championship. 

It annoys me how the committee tries to make people think that their assessment is unassailably subjective when it is decidedly subjective. 

On the Friday night games, the big schools have already told the Big Ten no. Wisconsin said they'll host the games but only before Labor Day. And it's only a few games a year. So get ready for a lot of Rutgers and Purdue on Friday night.

56 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

On the Friday night games, the big schools have already told the Big Ten no. Wisconsin said they'll host the games but only before Labor Day. And it's only a few games a year. So get ready for a lot of Rutgers and Purdue on Friday night.

Geez, in that case, why even bother? I don't think even Purdue and Rutgers fans (assuming they exist) would attend.