Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

On 11/18/2016 at 8:49 AM, mojoween said:

It amuses me how the media lament is now "man I really wish I could have gotten the chance to see what Jackson would do against the 'Bama D."

Uh, Louisville would get rolled.  That's what would happen.

This^^^. If Louisville got shredded by Houston, they weren't going to do a damn thing against Alabama. 

• Love 1

Charlie Strong hasn't been fired yet, but he's definitely gone after next week.

My other possible firings for the end of the year:

Jim Mora, Jr.
Kliff Kingsbury : ( -The man is super hot, but Texas Tech has underachieved badly; they got stomped by Iowa State!

Rutgers has taken the title of worst team in the Power 5 away from Kansas, who stepped up against Texas yesterday.  I'm a Penn State fan so I watched that Rutgers game.  Watching Rutgers play nearly destroyed my love of college football.  They are a combined 224-0 against Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State.  And they got pounded by Washington too.  That's a Murder's Row (save MSU) when you're a good team.  When you're a bad team...

Great win by Colorado against Washington State the other day.

Pulling hard for Ohio State to beat Michigan so that Penn State controls its own destiny.

College Gameday is headed to Columbus for Michigan/Ohio State.

Here's what I learned in week 12:

• Louisville can kiss any playoff hopes goodbye.
  • With Utah losing to Oregon, the Pac-12 South comes down to Colorado and USC.  Meanwhile the Apple Cup will determine who wins the Pac-12 North.  Who saw that coming at the beginning of the season?
  • Thanks to a goal line stand, That Team From Gainesville clinched the SEC East.  Can't wait to see them get clobbered by Alabama in 2 weeks (after my guys clobber them next week).
  • The Bedlam will determine the Big 12 Champion.
  • Kansas won its first game against an FBS opponent in 2 years.  If TPTB at Texas haven't started looking for a new head coach yet, they might want to start now.
  • Notre Dame will be home for the holidays.
18 minutes ago, Evolution101 said:
  • Kansas won its first game against an FBS opponent in 2 years.  If TPTB at Texas haven't started looking for a new head coach yet, they might want to start now.
  • Notre Dame will be home for the holidays.
  • Texas is backing up the Brinks truck to Tom Herman's doorstep.
  • This makes me so damn happy! If USC does happen to lose to them next week I'll be livid. I think it was College Football Sunday on ESPNU who said that there aren't enough bowl eligible teams to fill out the bowl games and even if the teams that need one more win to get there win next week, there would still be 3 slots open to 5-7 teams.

With Utah losing to Oregon, the Pac-12 South comes down to Colorado and USC.

I will be the world's biggest Utes fan for one weekend, hoping Colorado goes down.  As the season got underway, I would never have believed USC would be playing this kind of football this year.

The Bedlam will determine the Big 12 Champion.

I'm going to miss Bedlam being a Thanksgiving weekend game.  (Although, my parents and I go camping in their motorhome for Thanksgiving, and one year USC/Notre Dame and OU/OSU were on at the same time -- my dad got the big TV for the Bedlam game, and I was stuck back in the bedroom with the small TV for the USC game.)

12 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I will laugh my ass off if Texas doesn't get Tom Herman.

So would I.  Texas thinks they're the elite of college football when they've won exactly 1 national title in the past 47 seasons.

With rumors of UT, LSU, FSU, (possibly) OR, Baylor all chomping at the bit to offer Herman a lucrative contract, I see only UT in the running.

He's a graduate there, and his wife loves TX.  IF UT doesn't fire Charlie, then I think he stays at Houston.  IF they do, and they DON'T offer him a contract, then I think Herman goes to LSU.

19 hours ago, roamyn said:

With rumors of UT, LSU, FSU, (possibly) OR, Baylor all chomping at the bit to offer Herman a lucrative contract, I see only UT in the running.

He's a graduate there, and his wife loves TX.  IF UT doesn't fire Charlie, then I think he stays at Houston.  IF they do, and they DON'T offer him a contract, then I think Herman goes to LSU.

Tillman Fertita, multi-millionaire and chairman of the UH Board of Regents, said yesterday that Herman may decide to leave Houston, but it won't be because of money. Sounds like they're ready to open the vault to keep him in Houston.

NCAA orders Notre Dame to vacate wins from 2012, 2013 over academic misconduct

Notre Dame is being forced to vacate two years of football victories, including games from its 2012 national title runner-up season, due to NCAA violations committed by a former student athletic trainer, the NCAA said Tuesday.

Two interesting things about this. First of all, the NCAA increasingly finds itself in situation where the accused schools are willing to deny the accusations and fight for appeal. Seeing how those schools are now hiring former NCAA compliance officers, this will not go well for the organization.

Secondly, what does this mean for North Carolina? Notre Dame got hammered for the acts of one (alleged) trainer, but NC had an entire department that was involved in academic fraud across multiple sports. The school's defense has essentially been that all students (athletes and non) could cheat by enrolling in the department, but the numbers clearly show that athletes were disproportionately represented in the fraudulent classes. 

I didn't even know ND was under review for this and there has already been a ruling, and yet NC has been under review since the Bush administration it seems like, and no decision.

Mike Golic Jr. was wondering what happens to not only their wins that year, but all of the awards like his academic all-American and awards for Tyler Eifert and Manti Teo.  Do they go away?

And naturally that brought up the first "I guess everything for Teo that year was imaginary" joke from Golic's co-host.

I am curious too now.  Do those wins just disappear, or does the opponent now have a win?  And does that mean Alabama isn't the National Champ anymore because the game now never happened?

Alabama is still the national champion. That was a BCS, not an NCAA trophy. In any case they'd still keep the trophy. The NCAA vacated all of Memphis' wins from 2007-08 when Derrick Rose didn't take his own SAT and Kansas is still the national champion.

I'm actually surprised NC hasn't had some resolution. 

But then again, our Governor refuses to concede and keeps demanding recounts and filing "rigged" lawsuits, stubbornly denying that HB2 has killed his career.  So, NC is probably playing the same game - demanding more investigation and asking for evidence to be thrown out.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3

The announcers for tonight's A&M/LSU game alluded to the rumor that Herman has reached an agreement with LSU. I can only surmise that speculation abounds that Charlie Strong is not losing his job at Texas, since I think Herman would have preferred that position over LSU.

5 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Thanks, Iowa. Now let's go beat Minnesota, cheer for Michigan and then beat Michigan in the B1G title game. Playoffs here we come.

Wouldn't you rather Penn State?  I think they'd be an easier win.

5 hours ago, roamyn said:

Wouldn't you rather Penn State?  I think they'd be an easier win.

Here's the thing. Penn State in the B1G title game means Ohio State beat Michigan and therefore has a great chance to make the playoff even without winning the conference. I would rather see Ohio State's chances diminished because I could totally see the committee taking them over a Big Ten champion Wisconsin team. So go Michigan.

Of course this is assuming Wisconsin wins out. Knock on wood.

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 9:10 PM, xaxat said:

HA HA HA HA HA!

Um. Not sure how to tell you this...

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I really think Wisconsin AND Ohio State will get in if Penn State wins the East and Wisconsin wins the title game.

I agree.  Even if Penn St wins the B1G, how do you leave off tOSU w/one loss, and take TWO 2-loss division champs.

Washington's schedule is one of the worst, and there's no way OK gets in over tOSU.

Of course, this is assuming tOSU beats TSUN.  Then I think the top 4 will be AL, the B1G champ, tOSU and possibly Clemson.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

The matte grey helmets look terrible on the Buckeyes. 

I 100% agree that if OSU wins today they should be in the playoff, but that is really tough for Washington. People here on the West coast are feeling very confident that they are in. 

Edited by AndreaK1041

It's a good thing that my four year is asleep because she would have learned SO MANY new words from my Ohio State loving husband after whatever it is tOSU has been doing so far. Meanwhile me, the good loving wife that I am, keeps reminding him that my Iowa beat Michigan and we lost to North Dakota State.

Edited by galaxygirl76

It should be a Federal law that if you school hands out helmet stickers then that is the helmet your team wears for Senior Day.

Hope you didn't take the under at 136 for Syracuse/Pitt. Because you lose!

I don't understand the Kiffin to LSU rumors. I know they've worked together before, but it would seem that Kiffin is back at the point where he's looking for head coaching gigs, not a lateral move in the same conference. 

But what do I know? I thought Herman was going to LSU.

Edited by xaxat

We've been driving 4 four hours thru alot of NC dead zones (from Raleigh to Jacksonville & back), so it's been tough to keep up.

Three turnovers generally is the kiss of death (except 2014 CFP Championship), so to hear that Harbaugh is acting like a baby over one possibly missed interference call, tells me that the whinning & pouting rumors in SF were all true.  The spot I can't comment on, not seeing it, but those yellow lines are put there by tv.

And yes, those helmets were ugly.

Now, go MSU!  Keep it up in 2nd 1/2.  Cause if WI loses today, even winning the BIG might not help them in the CFP.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, mojoween said:

SU football scored 11 more points than the hoops team did today.  

That whole score looked like bkball.  76-61?!

Good Luck to PSU and WI.  But I think PSU would be a more worthy (football wise) winner for the BIG.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, AndreaK1041 said:

Michigan lost that game due to turnovers, not due to the bad spot. I'm kinda pulling for Sparty right now so that next week there is a possibility OSU could self-eliminate with a Badgers win. 

You're a lot classier than your coach. I missed the game but saw highlights and his rant. They can still make it to a good bowl game this year. 

Edited by twoods

We are...PENN STATE!!!!!!!!! :D

I’m so thrilled with that win, which I didn’t expect after the Michigan drubbing.  But PSU really took off after that game and spurred on with the big win against Ohio State, are the East Division Champions!

I like our chances against Wisconsin next year although if Barkley is hurt, that’s going to be a serious blow.  Wisconsin is going to be a tough opponent next week and I’m thrilled to have another week of college football for Penn State, for the Big Ten Championship no less.

I don’t know how Ohio State won that game but congrats.  Great game.  First overtime in the history of that rivalry although of course OT only started about 20 years ago.

14 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Here's the thing. Penn State in the B1G title game means Ohio State beat Michigan and therefore has a great chance to make the playoff even without winning the conference. I would rather see Ohio State's chances diminished because I could totally see the committee taking them over a Big Ten champion Wisconsin team. So go Michigan.

Of course this is assuming Wisconsin wins out. Knock on wood.

Um. Not sure how to tell you this...

Wisconsin should be in the playoffs assuming they beat Penn State in Indianapolis next week.  Their schedule was tougher than Washington with close losses to OSU (in OT) and Michigan.  At this point, being the number 4 team means playing Alabama and that is a dubious honor to say the least. 

My teams I'm pulling for at this point are Michigan and Wisconsin because of family ties.  My Big 10 alma mater is nowhere near any bowl game.  I really don't like OSU much and I suspect most Big 10 sports fans with the exception of their own fanbase feels the same way.   

My Michigan alum sister was heartbroken today and I tried to reassure her that I knew what she was going through.  OSU ruined my alma mater's Illinois perfect 2004-2005 basketball regular season with a loss in Columbus during the last game before the Big 10 tournament.  It didn't hurt Illinois much, but it felt they had intentionally ruined our perfect record. 

On 10/2/2016 at 11:40 AM, Evolution101 said:

If Wisconsin wins, I think the committee would feel justified in taking OSU over Wisconsin because OSU beat Wisconsin. However if Penn State wins I think they'll have a harder time justifying OSU because Penn State beat Ohio State. There is a chance that two B1G teams will go, but from the looks of the rankings so far I think they will try to avoid it.

This would all not be a problem had Michigan just won today. DAMMIT MICHIGAN YOU HAD ONE JOB. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Minneapple said:

If Wisconsin wins, I think the committee would feel justified in taking OSU over Wisconsin because OSU beat Wisconsin. However if Penn State wins I think they'll have a harder time justifying OSU because Penn State beat Ohio State. There is a chance that two B1G teams will go, but from the looks of the rankings so far I think they will try to avoid it.

This would all not be a problem had Michigan just won today. DAMMIT MICHIGAN YOU HAD ONE JOB. 

Yeah, to lose!  HAHAHAHA (evil laugh)

I still think it doesn't matter if Penn State wins, because there's no better resume than tOSU. WI might have a harder time justifying, because they're atwo loss team - irregardless that it was against #2 & #3.

Unless the committee decides to leave off Clemson, since their resume dropped due to Louisville's loss, and they only won against NC St due to Hurricane Matthew, the PAC-12 champion is the only other team that has a case.  But it's a slim one.

The Big-12 is too weak right now.

Edited by roamyn

Even being a big Penn State fan, I could live with Ohio State being chosen over them because Penn State has two losses.  I want to see Penn State win the Big Ten Championship and it would be great if they made the playoffs.  But they would likely face Alabama in the semifinals.  While they would do better than Michigan State, Alabama would chew up Penn State and spit them out.  Franklin said that PSU has overachieved all year and he’s right.  Next year, when their 61 freshman return for their second year was supposed to be the breakthrough year.  They are ahead of schedule.

So I won’t get too crazy if PSU doesn’t make it.  I think Washington is a really good team but the Pac-12 simply destroy themselves year after year and disappoint.

• Love 1

The Pac12 needs to schedule harder non-conference games and then win those games. The Big Ten teams are getting a longer look due to wins over LSU, Colorado, Oklahoma. I really hope Wisconsin wins next weekend because they played quality opponents and won (even took OSU to OT). Penn St had one great game and other good ones against medium level competition. After MSU last year, I really don't want to see another Big10 drubbing in the playoffs this year. 

I think I got really stuck on non-conference wins last year too. Must be something with me. Given that, I'd like the playoff to be Bama (undefeated incl USC), OSU (OKL win), Clemson (beat Auburn on road) and Wisconsin (beat LSU and 2 losses were close against tough opponents). 

I also want Colorado to win next week. Their QB is extremely talented. 

Edited by AndreaK1041