Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

The way I understand it, we had a whole throng of fans here to cheer Clemson on returning from that big championship win, but when Alabama returned, there were only 12 people there to greet them. That reminds me of that old saw, "there's gratitude for you." Alabama did very well to at least get there, even if they didn't win, but the lack of people to greet them upon returning from the loss would seem to indicate to me that they were expected to win, and no other result would have sufficed.

On "To Tell the Truth" last week, one of the subjects was a woman who had survived being picked up by a tornado while in her car.  They all claimed to be from Alabama (contestant 1 from some small town, the other two from Tuscaloosa).  One of the celebrity panelists, David Sedaris, asked "Finish this phrase for me, one word: 'Roll... '"

Contestant 3 (very confused): "... me?"

Contestant 2: "Roll Tide!"

Contestant 1: "Please don't make me say it, it's 'War Eagle!'"

(Contestant 1 was telling the truth, btw)

Not mentioned in that article is that the team will visit an orphanage and military personnel in Rome, plus they'll visit historic landmarks for educational purposes. That was all in the press release that Harbaugh sent out and I find it hilarious. Visiting orphanages and military personnel? Take that, NCAA. I love that he thumbs his nose at the NCAA. As they drag their feet on bigger cases like UNC and Ole Miss, they are just as quick to ban inconsquential things like satellite camps and trips.

I don't think it was necessarily a prop. Hasn't he met him before? Somehow I equate Harbaugh and the Pope as some sort of celeb friends. This is likely Harbaugh manufactured but I feel like it wasn't the first interaction. 

3 hours ago, Mischievious said:

I've been on both sides of layoffs and it sucks on both sides. With that sad, I'm not exactly broken up to learn Mark May was one of those let go. There are many others (Brian Bennett) who I will miss dearly. 

The Church of The Ohio State University (and it is a religion in Ohio), said many prayers of Thanksgiving today.

I'm not saying Lincoln Riley isn't the right choice for Oklahoma, but that's another head coaching job that an African American candidate had no shot at. 

• Love 1
On 6/7/2017 at 9:33 PM, forumfish said:

Stoops said it's not his health. My money's on a gig with the NFL. I just wish he would have waited until next week to announce -- I don't live in Oklahoma, but I bet this news will overshadow the women winning the softball world series, and that just isn't right. Give the women a few days in the spotlight, Bob, before stepping in. (I say that as someone who likes Bob.)

It was supposed to come out Friday, but Barry Trammel from The Daily Disappointment (Oklahoman) got the scoop. Stoops had to call a team meeting asap. He didn't mean to overshadow the women, but the newspaper forced his hand. He's always been great about supporting all the teams on campus especially softball. 

10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

ESPN has pulled an Asian announcer from their upcoming University of Virginia game because his name is ... Robert Lee.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/08/22/espn-pulls-asian-american-announcer-from-virginia-football-game-because-has-confederate-generals-name.html

4 hours ago, voiceover said:

“We regret that this became an issue,” said the people who made it an issue.

And it never had to be an issue. I would have loved to see more diversity in the broadcast booth.

• Love 1

Urban has a hard on for JT.  Yes, that was a nice pass for the 74yrd TD, but Barrett's had many chances, and ever since he broke his ankle, he's not been as effective.

Let's give someone else a chance to lead the Buckeyes.

It was amazing how a single defensive adjustment changed the tenor of that game so much. That IU qb/receiver combo was unstoppable in the first half. The second half? They had trouble throw more than five yards past the line of scrimmage.

57 minutes ago, xaxat said:

It was amazing how a single defensive adjustment changed the tenor of that game so much. That IU qb/receiver combo was unstoppable in the first half. The second half? They had trouble throw more than five yards past the line of scrimmage.

Yes they kept going back to the same plays, throwing outside at the corners, and did not adjust once Ohio State change the D up.  They needed to find some other plays and more variety in the passing game, 

Plus they could not stop Dobbins, who looks to have an amazing future.

Typical IU game though.  Close for 3 quarters and can't close the deal. 

Oh well, did not expect a win, still can have a good season at Indiana. 

Typical USC - open the season against an opponent they should beat the ever-loving hell out of, start strong, and then just quit playing.  At least this time they got it together in the end so as not to start off with a loss, but this is getting old.

More importantly for Indiana, they simply couldn't run the ball on OSU.

Lots of scares today for big programs. USC, Nebraska. Purdue played really well against Louisville. Great day of football and there's more tomorrow and Monday!

Penn State!!!!  Now I'd just like to see them do that to Pitt and Michigan, among others.

Can anyone actually score and look good against Alabama in the regular season?  I think this is going to be another year of the SEC being renamed Alabama and the SEC.

Texas loses to Maryland and Baylor loses to Liberty.  Not a good day for Texas football.

Still some games this week but next week looks stacked.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, benteen said:

Ah, Josh Rosen...showing the only thing bigger than his arm in his mouth.  Way to shit the bed against Texas A&M!

To quote Lee Corso, not so fast my friend!

This game is like a typical A&M season in a nutshell. During the first half the look like title contenders. Then they play the second and get pounded by everyone.

Sumlin might not want to get on the plane back home.

• Love 1

I was glad to see Josh bring his team back after that large deficit. He took a beating in this game, (and got a lot of hate on Twitter during it) but I'm glad he stormed back and lead his team to a nice victory.

9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

It was quite a moment to see Olson snap during a game.  Pete Carroll took such a shine to him when he was a young fan, inviting him to take part in so many team events, then fast forward to when Sarkissian signed him to a scholarship, and now Helton gave him the chance to finally take the field. 

• Love 2

Damn UCLA. They had one job- to lose embarrassingly- and they ended up winning. Poor Texas A&M defense looked absolutely gassed the last half of the fourth quarter. 

It definitely got dusty in the house when Olson came out to snap. What an inspirational story. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Go ahead, Trojans!  After a typical USC opener in which they play like ass against a team they should dominate, to have Stanford be the second opponent was frightening.  For many years now, that has been a total wildcard game -- anything can happen.  Terrific victory, and it's nice to see such a robust offensive line.  Vast improvement over last week overall; I like Coach Helton, and hope he continues to pull things together.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, benteen said:

It feels like JT Barrett has been around for 100 years.

Lmfaoo. Before the game my husband asked me to look up who was the starting QB for OSU. I told him "JT Barrett" and his response was "He's still in college?!! Isn't he like 35 by now?". 

• Love 4

I know, right?  He really hasn't played well most of the time, since he broke his ankle.

That's why it posses me off that Urban is stuck on the guy and won't give anyone else a chance to prove themselves and get them experience for next season.

Edited by roamyn

Apparently USC is saying that their record against Texas is 4-0 because the National Championship was vacated.  While technically that is true in the record books, it's idiotic because we all know who won one of the greatest National Championship games ever played.  I still remember where I was sitting when Texas scored, while quietly celebrating because the rest of the apartment was asleep, and I don't even LIKE Texas.

Speaking of Oklahoma, Mayfield apologized for "planting" the flag and that makes me sad.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, mojoween said:

Apparently USC is saying that their record against Texas is 4-0 because the National Championship was vacated.  While technically that is true in the record books, it's idiotic because we all know who won one of the greatest National Championship games ever played.  I still remember where I was sitting when Texas scored, while quietly celebrating because the rest of the apartment was asleep, and I don't even LIKE Texas.

Speaking of Oklahoma, Mayfield apologized for "planting" the flag and that makes me sad.

USC is one of those "in love with the smell of our own farts" groups.  You won't find a program that is more in love with itself and who gets off on it as much as USC.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4