Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, AndreaK1041 said:

I think I got really stuck on non-conference wins last year too. Must be something with me. Given that, I'd like the playoff to be Bama (undefeated incl USC), OSU (OKL win), Clemson (beat Auburn on road) and Wisconsin (beat LSU and 2 losses were close against tough opponents). 

What if they lose to Penn St. next week? Wisconsin may have a better non-conference schedule than PSU, but there's no way the committee would let a 3 loss team in the Playoffs.

No, if Wisconsin loses they have no business in the playoff. 

I've seen some ridiculous chatter that Michigan and OSU both deserve the playoff over PSU/Wisconsin. Michigan should have beat Iowa to even begin that train of thought. Just want everyone to know that some Michigan fans do live in reality. 

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • Love 4

Forget the targeting penalty, the Notre Dame player who should have been ejected from the game was that Suh Jr. asshole, Tillery.  That move against Ware was particularly odious, and the officials didn't even see it.  Ware was lying on the ground because of a shot to the head, so he could have had a head/neck injury for all anyone knew at that point, and Tillery, as one sportswriter put it, acted as if Ware's head got in the way of his foot.  What an asshole.

• Love 6

I forgot to add that I think next week's B1G title game should be a good one.  Though realistically I think (& hope) that WI will win.  They seem to be a better quality team, and PSU is full of freshman that may get overwhelmed by the "moment".

3 hours ago, AndreaK1041 said:

No, if Wisconsin loses they have no business in the playoff. 

I've seen some ridiculous chatter that Michigan and OSU both deserve the playoff over PSU/Wisconsin. Michigan should have beat Iowa to even begin that train of thought. Just want everyone to know that some Michigan fans do live in reality. 

I believe we were a 20+ point underdog and my husband and his friends were taking bets by how much we would lose(I said win because we always play well against Michigan). It was unfortunate for Michigan that that was the game where Iowa remembered they have a great defense.

It's amazing how the season turned around because after Wisconsin and especially after the Penn State trashing a game later we were looking at the schedule and hoping to squeak by Illinois to make it to 6 wins so we would even get to go to a bowl game and now it looks it may be a good one.

No, Wisconsin does not deserve the playoff if they lose the B1G title game. Should Wisconsin win, I have prepared myself to see Ohio State chosen for the playoff over the Badgers. Just because, you know. It's Ohio State. Yes, they only have one loss and are very deserving and they beat Wisconsin and blah blah blah. But it bites that they talked up conference champions and still may skip over a conference champion for a team in that same conference.

The clowns over at Yahoo Sports are the ones beating the drum about Ohio State and Michigan. Forde says both OSU and Michigan deserve the playoff and Dan Wetzel says Ohio State and Penn State should be playing for the Big Ten title. I mean what?

It's very very telling that Michigan loses two of three and yet stays in the top five in the AP poll.

Oh, well. Just beat Penn State and then we can start blabbing again about all this.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 3

While I absolutely love all the chaos, when they announced there would finally be a college playoff, I hoped it would be an eight team field. The conference winners from the "Power 5" would get automatic bids, then the other three slots would be teams like OSU/Michigan.

• Love 2

The loser of the Big Ten Championship Game should not be in the College Football Playoff.  Nor should Michigan.  Michigan doesn’t deserve it with the way they played down the stretch.  They lost to an Iowa team that the week before had been obliterated by Penn State, only scoring 13 points in the process.  I’ll excuse the competitive game against Indiana, since they were playing with their back-up QB and Indiana has played almost everyone tough this week.  But Michigan completely crapped the bed against Ohio State.  They were up by 10 points and dominating the OSU offense and they blew it.  They don’t deserve to be in the College Football Playoff.  They didn’t play like champions down the stretch.

Ohio State is the only Big Ten team (right now) that deserves to be in the playoffs.  They have a better resume than anyone and that includes Alabama.  Alabama is a great team but the SEC is a complete joke.  Every other sport allows a team that didn’t win their conference to make the playoffs.

I’m still a proponent of the four-team playoff (it still makes the regular season the best and most important in sports) but I can’t deny that this year, an eight-team playoff would be AWESOME.  Thinking about it.  Five conference winners.  Alabama, Clemson, Penn State (fingers crossed!), Washington and Oklahoma.  Three wild cards.  Ohio State, Michigan and let’s say USC since putting a three loss team into an eight-team playoff wouldn’t be as bad.  Just look at the historical teams involved in that one.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

If tOSU makes the final four, it will be like 2 yrs ago with all the TCU/Baylor/non-tOSU fans howling for blood.  Except...we more than proved we belonged in F4.

I don't forsee that happening this year.  Offense has been sputtering last two games, so if we make it, there needs to be some offensive line adjustment if we want to get past AL.

• Love 1

Top 4 with one week to go:

1. Alabama
  2. Ohio State
  3. Clemson
  4. Washington

Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State have the next three spots. It seems fairly simple, If Washington and Clemson win the top four will not change. If one slips, Michigan gets in, if both slip, the winner of the Big Ten will get in. 'Bama's in, win or lose.

Just amazing how the Big Ten used to get punished annually when the best team would do well enough to get to the end game, and the lack of a Big Ten Title Game was costly.  Now the eventual champion might need help based on the rankings.  I doubt Michigan gets in, but I think they belong more than Penn State & Wisconsin.  Just not easy to defend losing to Iowa at all, so I'd be okay seeing them left out

I think I'll survive whatever the final decision is on Sunday.  Lesson learned is to win.  That's it.  Of course, the day all five P5 champs are undefeated would be chaotic itself. 

At the end of the day, I personally would be pissed if the inclusion of the Big Ten champion resulted in Ohio State falling to the 4th spot

Just now, Carey said:

At the end of the day, I personally would be pissed if the inclusion of the Big Ten champion resulted in Ohio State falling to the 4th spot

Even if that champion was Penn State, which...beat Ohio State?

I can totally see Michigan getting in over the B1G champion as well. It's just stunning to me that with two losses in three weeks, Michigan stays in the top five.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Carey said:

If Penn State is B1G, then I could see them jumping to #4 over Washington.   Their resume is better than Washington's, even w/the Pitt loss.

Remember, TCU dove from #3 to #6 aft the final week in the initial season.

I personallydon't believe Washington deserves top four.  Depending on how they do in the PAC-12 Championship, I could see the B1G champion squeezing in at #4.

41 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I can totally see Michigan getting in over the B1G champion as well. It's just stunning to me that with two losses in three weeks, Michigan stays in the top five.

The main issue I would have with that is that perfect reigning champ Alabama would get "punished" for the Big Ten Chaos.  Yes PSU beat OSU, but the majority still views Ohio State as the second best team in the country.  Basically it would be a tough match (albeit great game) between Bama & OSU whereas the other semi would be a rather easy game to get to face the Bama/OSU winner

It's 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 in the first round and if Ohio State gets in (which at this point looks like it's all but confirmed) they won't be a 4 seed. They'll be the 2 seed. It would go: 1. Alabama vs. 4. Washington and 2. Ohio State vs. 3. Clemson. If it's Michigan/Penn State/Wisconsin, they'll have 1. Bama vs. 4. Michigan/Penn State/Wisconsin and 2. Ohio State vs. 3. Clemson. 

15 hours ago, Minneapple said:

It was stunning that after losing to an unranked team(that has a loss against North Dakota State) Michigan stayed at #3.

• Love 2

Good effort from Ohio but they come up short as Western Michigan completes an undefeated regular season and wins the MAC Championship.  This might be PJ Fleck's last game as Western Michigan.  Rumors have him as possibly the next Purdue coach.  I understand you have to strike while the iron's hot but why he would want to go to the dumpster fire that is Purdue is beyond me.

Washington is up by a touchdown against Colorado at halftime.  This should be interesting.

I still say that losing 2 out of 3 of their final games should eliminate Michigan from the College Football Playoff.  They weren't close to the same team when they had to leave the state of Michigan for a game against a team that had a pulse.

10 hours ago, benteen said:

I still say that losing 2 out of 3 of their final games should eliminate Michigan from the College Football Playoff.  They weren't close to the same team when they had to leave the state of Michigan for a game against a team that had a pulse.

After the stomping WA gave CO last night, the hopes of WI & PA St are probably dependant upon Clemson losing.

I could see the Committee dropping Oh St to #4 - esp if PA St wins.  We didn't win even our division and I think the Committee would like to see someone give AL a tougher time.

Please PJ, go somewhere other than Purdue.  You deserve so much better.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2

Agreed.  Though I'd love to see an Ohio State vs Clemson rematch (I still think we'd get that) I want to see Alabama take on Ohio State.  Meyer knows how to beat Alabama and it's about time for Alabama to be tested.

Please PJ, go somewhere other than Purdue.  You deserve so much better.

Agreed.  Purdue means more money but he will be unemployed after 3 1/2 years if he takes that job.

Kirk Herbstreit went to Ohio State but seems to love Michigan almost as much.  The shilling him and ESPN are doing for Michigan is embarrassing.  And Herbstreit is lying when he says that half of Penn State's student section left at halftime of their game against Ohio State.

Then you have Desmond Howard, a former Heisman Trophy winner and a guy who works as a college football analyst who thinks The Catholics vs The Convicts involved Penn State.  That's the kind of "facts" and analyst ESPN pays you for, Desmond.

• Love 2

Speaking of "Catholics vs. Convicts", how many 30 for 30 episodes does Miami need to have about them? The U was great, The U, Part 2 was only okay, but now they're a trilogy.

Despite my kvetching, I still set it to record on my DVR. *facepalm*

I could see the Committee dropping Oh St to #4 - esp if PA St wins.  We didn't win even our division and I think the Committee would like to see someone give AL a tougher time.

What if Alabama (actually) loses to Florida?  I wouldn't be shocked if the committee did that, but it would be interesting to see who'd be Number one if Bama didn't stay there with an unlikely loss

Edited by Carey
59 minutes ago, Carey said:

What if Alabama (actually) loses to Florida?  I wouldn't be shocked if the committee did that, but it would be interesting to see who'd be Number one if Bama didn't stay there with an unlikely loss

Bama stays #1.  They've earned it, and they're the defending champion. 

• Love 1

Well, I guess I wasted time talking about Alabama losing. I should know better after Nick Saban said it was not okay to lose!

With Alabama one of four teams in, I think if Clemson wins, the top four will remain the way it is now.  Unless the B1G winner more than pummel their victims. If so they are that fourth team in.  Then if OSU actually falls for doing nothing, that would suck but so be it.

If Clemson loses, then the B1G winner and OSU are in, IMO.  Don’t think Michigan has a shot anymore.  I guess they might if PSU & Wisconsin both look like crap.  Oklahoma needed Washington to lose, amongst other things, so no Big 12.

At the end of the day, I can’t wait for the bitterness of those that get left out, mainly the people on television that will be upset at the results.  I might agree if they complain about OSU. OTOH, OSU stormed the field so I guess you could say it's punishment for doing so

• 2 hours ago, Carey said:
    2 hours ago, Carey said:

Don’t think Michigan has a shot anymore.  I guess they might if PSU & Wisconsin both look like crap. 

Wisconsin not looking like crap, at least mid-way through the 2nd quarter.  This PSU coach is nuts - isn't there a punter on their roster?  

Well, now Wisconsin is looking like crap.  Failure to take full advantage of PSU mistakes in first half coming back to bite them, plus some big mistakes by the secondary and rest of the defense. 

Edited by Calvada

Wisconsin had two HUGE defensive mistakes on this drive in the fourth quarter alone that let the Nittany Lions keep driving.

I just want this to be all over so I no longer have to hear a. the media continuously speculating about shit that is yet to happen, as if their discussions can somehow determine the outcomes of games and b. wonder if there are any teams outside the SEC and Big Ten.  I don't really like Clemson but I am rooting for them to win it all just to shut the media up.  Washington would be even better.

We are...Penn State!  Big 10 Champions!

I don't know what it is about this team they are amazing in the second half of games.  GREAT game by Trace McSorley.  Penn State has made a strong case for the College Football Playoff.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, benteen said:

We are...Penn State!  Big 10 Champions!

I don't know what it is about this team they are amazing in the second half of games.  GREAT game by Trace McSorley.  Penn State has made a strong case for the College Football Playoff.

No they haven't. 

If they had blown out WI, then I would ssy yes.

Trace had a great game, but WI lost it.  They had too many mistakes and allowed PA St back into the game. 

WA & Clemson definitively proved their case by winning big.

But congrats to PA St on the B1G championship. 

• Love 2

And today Wisconsin learns the difference between having a QB and not having a QB.

Sports are weird.  Funny thing is Denver had a QB one year and got pummeled in the end game, but two years later they "didn't have a QB" and did the pummeling.

The fact is Wisconsin forgot to play 60 minutes.  And as for that PSU QB, any chance he goes to NYC?

I think PSU belongs.  Meaning I think if they got in I'd be okay with it.  Whatever happens will be a great call (maybe except for the seeding).  The committee has never taken a team that didn't win its conference.  However, they've never taken a team that lost more than once either.  They should just do a PROD with PSU, Washington, OSU, and Clemson .  That will make things that much easier.  PROD, by the way, is simply drawing rocks and if you choose the odd color, you're out

• Love 1

I've pretty much accepted that Penn State won't be chosen for the playoff, so I'm very happy for the team and this unexpected season with a young group. I am excited for next year.

But WA's case isn't super strong either, considering their out of conference schedule was so weak.

3 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

I've pretty much accepted that Penn State won't be chosen for the playoff, so I'm very happy for the team and this unexpected season with a young group. I am excited for next year.

But WA's case isn't super strong either, considering their out of conference schedule was so weak.

Yeah, but schedules are made years ahead of time. You have no idea if your going to get a good team or not. As it happens, Penn State scheduled Temple when they were terrible and Kent State, which was terrible, as well as in-state team Pitt. I don't think non-conference should count as much unless you do something ballsy, like Ohio State did in scheduling to play at a big-time school like Oklahoma.

You really don't know. Michigan's out of conference schedule looked terrible before this season, with Colorado coming off 6 wins in 2 years and Hawaii coming off a 3-win season.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, benteen said:

I think Penn State's second half performance is what gave them the strongest case.

Again, I think WI lost it in the 2nd half.  They had several chances to capitalize & didn't,  plus defensively they made several mistakes.

That said, it was a good game.

tOSU's only loss, though is to the B1G Champs, while PA St got blown out by TSUN and to PITT of all teams.

Remember, the Committee has said that championships are not the be all to end all.  

Desmond Howard is an idiot, if he thinks TSUN gets in over PA St & tOSU.

If the Committee chooses PA St over tOSU, I think it wouldn't be a robbery, either.

Edited by roamyn
3 minutes ago, roamyn said:

tOSU's only loss, though is to the B1G Champs, while PA St got blown out by TSUN and to PITT of all teams.

Pittsburgh is a solid team. They beat the ACC champs, the Big Ten champs and two of their four losses were to the Big Twelve and ACC runner ups.

I don't really care who makes it. No matter what the committee says, it's an inherently subjective exercise with no definitive answers.

• Love 1

After the early blowout, Clemson/VT and Wisconsin/PSU were so wonderfully entertaining. It got hard watching one broadcast, then having a game-break showing what I was missing on the other game.

14 hours ago, Carey said:

At the end of the day, I can’t wait for the bitterness of those that get left out, mainly the people on television that will be upset at the results.

Neither can I!

GUS_POPCORN_MEME_2_large.gif

• Love 1
8 hours ago, nowandlater said:

Yeah, but schedules are made years ahead of time. You have no idea if your going to get a good team or not. As it happens, Penn State scheduled Temple when they were terrible and Kent State, which was terrible, as well as in-state team Pitt. I don't think non-conference should count as much unless you do something ballsy, like Ohio State did in scheduling to play at a big-time school like Oklahoma.

You really don't know. Michigan's out of conference schedule looked terrible before this season, with Colorado coming off 6 wins in 2 years and Hawaii coming off a 3-win season.

That's true, but the games are played on the field now. I just know how the sportsmedia keeps repeating how the committee emphasizes "resume" as their main data point with other things more supportive. So if their wins are against teams who weren't great, their resume isn't super strong. Yet they also apparently allow for improvement as the season progresses. So yes, PSU had 2 losses, but they haven't lost since September 24th, I believe. They got back a lot of players who were injured then, although I know the committee doesn't care about decimated teams and how that impacts. But this is a very different team from the one who got smashed by Michigan early. Towards the end, PSU smashed Iowa, only for Iowa to beat Michigan the following week (albeit in a close one). 

Again,  I'm not under any illusions that they'll actually pick Penn State. I've heard the numerous arguments against them. I just don't think Washington should be considered a shoo-in either. Really, Alabama should be the only easy decision.

Edited by VMepicgrl
Just now, Carey said:

Alabama vs. Washington and Ohio State vs. Clemson. Buckeyes survived but swapped with Clemson

ESPN Live made a great case for PA St vs WA.

I think that was the toughest decision.  WA non-conference schedule is so bad, but they only lost 1 and the CFP left the PAC-12 out last year.

The Rose Bowl should be PA St vs. USC.  The Cotton should be WI vs. W MI.

But Clemson swapping with tOSU is not surprising even w/Clemson's tight wins.

I thought it would go this way with Washington getting the nod.  I can live with this because Penn State had one more loss than Washington and I wasn't looking forward to them being soundly defeated by Alabama.  Now Washington will be soundly defeated by Alabama instead!

I think Penn State is a better and more deserving team than Washington though.  I'm also greatly pleased that Penn State was ranked ahead of Michigan and their coach.  Still, this has been a great season for Penn State and a trip to the Rose Bowl will be the cherry on top.  I'm hoping PSU gets to play USC in a battle of the two hottest teams in college football not named Alabama.

Having watched Penn State all year, I can definitely say that they won that game against Wisconsin last night more than Wisconsin lost it.  Penn State is an unbelievable second half team and they showed it again last night.  Also, they didn’t get blown out by Pitt in Week 2.  They only lost by three points.  Pitt dominated the first half and Penn State (for the first time this season) had a great second half.  If it wasn’t for a last-minute interception, they may very well have beaten Pitt.  Pitt proved themselves to be a good team with a very high-scoring offense.  They won eight games and beat Clemson.

• Love 1

I think it sounded insulting that Kirby referred to PITT as 8-4 as if they were a crap-ass team.  I think that it wasn't insulting, but more in the lines of what the Panthers record was.  He never said that they were awful, but it seemed like it had they won that game or any other non-conference game they would have been in at 12-1.  Sort of loved how Rece "grilled" Hocutt but I do think he defended the decisions fairly well

Speaking of Pittsburgh, man. What could have been.  They hold on at UNC and then take care of business at home in a night game vs Virginia Tech.  Add that to upsetting Oklahoma State or not, and they'd be opposite Clemson, who they beat last month.  However, PITT survived a couple of games this year, and Clemson would have beaten them in Orlando for revenge.  If the Panthers can fix their defense, they'll be a force to deal with in the Coastal if not the ACC as a whole.  Especially with a defensive-minded guy like Pat Narduzzi. Rather stunning there was NO defense for 60 minutes with PITT!

Anyway, I think I'm glad that PITT didn't get close to being in the playoff. I have better New Years plans over watching Alabama defeat them by at least as many points as that combined total from their game vs Syracuse

I go back & forth on #4.

I think PA St would've been a bigger challenge for AL, and I like PA St more, but I can't get over that they had two losses, and not good losses, either. 

Horcutt clearly outlined what the Committee looked at and explained it well.  And it sounded like the majority of their discussion was WA v. PA St, not tOSU's lack of division championship. 

Oh, and congrats to M/M Meyer on their 1st grandbaby.

As about the only person in my family who didn't attend UW -- my parents graduated when the Pac-12 was still the Pacific Coast Conference -- I have mixed emotions about UW's participation in the playoff.

It's great to be part of the Top 4, and I hope we pull off the sporting upset of the year, but if we're going to get our ass kicked, I'd rather it weren't in the Peach Bowl, about which I've never given three shakes of a rat's ankle.

But then, I miss the days when the Pac-8/10 champion always played the Big 10 champion in the Rose Bowl; the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Cotton Bowls were all played on January 1st; and people gave a damn about the Cotton Bowl.

Now get off my lawn!

• Love 6

I'm also happy for Washington but USC made them look silly, so I'm sure Bama will make them look like they don't belong. USC and Penn State should be fun to watch. If Penn state didn't lose to Pitt they would have been the # 4 seed. Win the games you're supposed to win!

• Love 1