Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

My hubby and I watched the Harry Potter reunion this morning and at the end he turns to me and says “when I get back from the store let’s watch all the movies” and I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I would rather watch college bowl games featuring teams I have absolutely no affiliation to.  Enjoy the games today everyone!

• LOL 4

I'll be rooting for Georgia because I hate Nick Saban, but I'll just have the second half on while I putter around after work, because I don't care about the SEC so even though it's the national championship, I'm not going to set aside time to watch.

I'm currently regretting getting up to watch Oklahoma State shit the bed against Notre Dame.

The only interesting bowl games so far have been between random teams I'd never previously watched in my life.

• Love 1

Anyone else have the Pavlovian response of “I’m a man!  I’m 40!” whenever the name Mike Gundy is mentioned?

We are taking a Harry Potter break for the Rose Bowl *please be a good game please be a good game*

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 3

We turned the Rose Bowl off beginning of 3rd qtr, and just turned it back on to see the game winning FG.

I can’t believe we won that game.  Talk abt resiliency.  Congrats to Ryan Day and The Ohio State Buckeyes for not giving up.  (Now we have to address the run defense on the off season)

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Popples said:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba was unreal. Also, seeing Marvin Harrison, Jr. playing made me feel old.

I was in high school in a Syracuse suburb when Marvin was in college, and my son is older than Junior, and I still feel like a geezer.

Edited by mojoween
  • Useful 1

At least Oklahoma State remembered how to play in the second half and knocked off Notre Dame, and the Rose Bowl was a good game - except for the fact the wrong team won in the end.  I force myself into a Utes fan for an afternoon, and they let that obnoxious team come back.  Oh well.

The Sugar Bowl is so boring (between two teams I don't care about to begin with, and then nothing is happening), I'm watching other things and just checking in occasionally.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

At least Oklahoma State remembered how to play in the second half and knocked off Notre Dame, and the Rose Bowl was a good game - except for the fact the wrong team won in the end.  I force myself into a Utes fan for an afternoon, and they let that obnoxious team come back.  

Nah.  The right team won.  😜

• Love 1
On 1/1/2022 at 8:57 PM, NUguy514 said:

Well, at least Notre Dame lost in heartbreaking fashion, so that's one happy outcome versus, like, 37 terrible outcomes.

That Fiesta Bowl was just pure and gorgeous.  The only thing that went wrong with that meltdown was that Brian Kelly wasn't on the sidelines to deal with the pain & agony

• Love 6

I’m not a Notre Dame fan, but Marcus Freeman being promoted from within, the enthusiasm for Freeman’s promotion among coaching staff and players, etc., made for a pretty nice story.  And you might have hoped that they could pull out the win and stick it to Brian Kelly, but oh well.

I hope the national championship is a good game.  As a Clemson fan, I’ve been in the habit of “hating” Alabama the past few years, just as a rival, but as between Alabama and Georgia, I find myself not really caring who wins, just wanting to see a good game (unlike the SEC championship). 

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 6

Unless you are a fan of KState or an anti-fan of Brian Kelly the Texas Bowl sounds like it was a slog to watch.

Was Brian Kelly serious when he said people in Boston don’t have a strong accent?  Or is he trying to be some kind of jokester.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, mojoween said:

Was Brian Kelly serious when he said people in Boston don’t have a strong accent?  Or is he trying to be some kind of jokester.

I think he was mocking himself because when he got the LSU job he starting trying to talk in a Southern Accent.

I told my hubby that he must be Southern Irish.

• LOL 1
On 1/6/2022 at 12:29 AM, Stats Queen said:

I think he was mocking himself because when he got the LSU job he starting trying to talk in a Southern Accent.

Us southerners hate it when people like him attempt a southern accent.  Please just stop! It's ridiculous!  

• Love 2

I know there is no way in hell I won’t be asleep before halftime (and I don’t really care enough about either of these teams to make it to the end, not even in an ABB way) so I hope those of you who make it all the way enjoy the game!

This worked for the Rose Bowl so I’ll try it here - *please be a good game please be a good game*

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

This worked for the Rose Bowl so I’ll try it here - *please be a good game please be a good game*

Looks to be a defensive struggle.  And, damn, another Bama receiver goes down. I hope it's not serious.  Doesn't look good though. 

33 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Looks to be a defensive struggle.  And, damn, another Bama receiver goes down. I hope it's not serious.  Doesn't look good though. 

I hope the Bama receivers are okay. Winston’s - that hurt to watch. He’s amazing and I hope he is able to play professionally. He did walk into the locker room, so that’s good.

I’m a Bulldog, but don’t like seeing any player having a game ending injury and I sure hope Winston’s isn’t career ending.

I am hoping our offensive line shows up for the second half.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, twoods said:

Georgia D doing well but their offense can’t do anything. What a waste.

The defense has given up a few big plays they shouldn't have, but, yeah, the offense owes the defense a huge apology no matter how this game ends (and please let it end with Nick Saban miserable, as that's the extent of my interest).

• Love 1

Woo, what a finish!  For 99.9 percent of my life, I couldn't muster up a single shit to give about Georgia (or any SEC team), but Saban is such a jackass I am legitimately excited by this Bulldogs victory.

That was a fun fourth quarter.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Woo, what a finish!  For 99.9 percent of my life, I couldn't muster up a single shit to give about Georgia (or any SEC team), but Saban is such a jackass I am legitimately excited by this Bulldogs victory.

Seconded. 

• Love 3

First time Alabama loses with the Heisman winner (though that's TPTB's fault; Kenny Pickett was the real winner)!

A ton of injuries doomed the Tide.  Probably what I expected Georgia to do last month, but better late than never.

As for injuries?  That's football

Edited by Carey
  • LOL 1

Georgia's D was superior to their offense. I live in Georgia but am not a fan necessarily but I'm so happy they won. My mom is a die hard therefore I cheer for her. Also, love to see Saban lose no matter who it is. 

• Love 2

Okay, Kirby’s speech abt “tearing up some property in Indianapolis”, is total shit and the fans roaring their approval tells me how utterly entitled they are.

You don’t go into someone else’s city and talk abt destroying their home.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Hey. Georgia won. (And no, Pickett never stood a chance at the Heisman). I’ve always said that I would be okay with losing to Kirby Smart at GA. After the game, I’m okay. It’s hard to win every game. For a rebuilding year, we still won the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP and made it to the National Championship. I’m good with that. Roll tide roll!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

Okay, Kirby’s speech abt “tearing up some property in Indianapolis”, is total shit and the fans roaring their approval tells me how utterly entitled they are.

You don’t go into someone else’s city and talk abt destroying their home.

I live in Georgia (but not originally from Georgia).  Comments like this is why I cannot support UGA.  

I'm not a supporter of UGA with or without those comments.  Kirby Smart can't say that, I agree.  However, I don't think what he said is on the level of me being pissed at the program or Kirby himself.  Obviously you’ll get people supporting him and defending him saying it’s in the moment, though several of those would also get a movement going to kick a player out of the league if said player made those very same comments.

As mentioned, that cannot be said there since it would be looked at in a negative light for several reasons.  No way am I supporting it.  However, with the assumption of going over the top for celebrating the schools first title in over 4 decades, I understand it.  Smart or someone else would likely clear that up to say that’s what was meant there.  Plus, most people aren’t thinking clearly there; they were in neutral Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, not Atlanta.  Maybe save “tearing up the city” for when you return to Georgia, or let the fans there destroying everything.

People have to be better with their words.  OTOH, if they won a game at Tuscaloosa, then the criticism would be even less since you won on the road against a foe.  Coach should’ve had better class, but for me, I still took it as going over the top for a post championship celebration (which is also unnecessary).

Still doesn’t take away from what UGA did this season.  Missed out on a perfect season, finally got that title since they might not get one again with the SEC West becoming stronger than ever, Bama still being there, and both Ohio State & Clemson likely returning to prominence.  OTOH, Georgia’s fear of losing or blowing it is gone now.

Georgia is the first team in the CFB Playoff Era to win the National Championship despite losing its conference title game.  Every other school either won theirs or were not in their conference championship game

• Love 1
8 hours ago, roamyn said:

It's not surprising.   My boss went to a game in Georgia (Bama vs. Bulldogs), and some of the Georgia fans were really obnoxious to him and other Bama fans while in the stands, and then on his drive home, he was followed in his car, yelled at, and nearly run off the interstate.  Another friend who is an Auburn fan had a similar experience over there.  I'm not lumping all Georgia fans into the "obnoxious fan" category, but it's not unusual to hear those kinds of stories from people who have been to games against Georgia.

7 hours ago, PepSinger said:

For a rebuilding year, we still won the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP and made it to the National Championship. I’m good with that. Roll tide roll!

Roll Tide!!  It's pretty amazing what Saban and his coaching staff can do with such young talent, and especially when he's constantly losing coaches to other teams and has to break in new ones.   Kirby learned from the best!!

The one consolation to the whole thing is that the SEC will bring home another National Championship trophy.  Even in the years when Bama doesn't make it to the big game and another SEC team is in the mix, I'll almost always root for the SEC (with one or two exceptions!)   

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It's not surprising.   My boss went to a game in Georgia (Bama vs. Bulldogs), and some of the Georgia fans were really obnoxious to him and other Bama fans while in the stands, and then on his drive home, he was followed in his car, yelled at, and nearly run off the interstate.  Another friend who is an Auburn fan had a similar experience over there.  I'm not lumping all Georgia fans into the "obnoxious fan" category, but it's not unusual to hear those kinds of stories from people who have been to games against Georgia.

I'd say investigate those Georgia fans, but they don't deserve prison.  Instead, throw them into Lincoln Financial Field.  If they act obnoxiously in that venue, and depart alive, they're free for life!

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Carey said:

Maybe save “tearing up the city” for when you return to Georgia, or let the fans there destroying everything.

He specifically said Indianapolis, so no he didn’t mean Athens or Atlanta.

15 minutes ago, roamyn said:

He really needs to choose his words wisely.  Act like you've been there before, Kirby (championship games, that is).  

• LOL 2
13 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Fair point.  If he blurts out the city, as opposed to saying "tear down this city" that's not good.  The awareness was there.  I still wouldn't bet on him getting fined, but it's still morning on the East Coast.  I may reconsider following the aftermath and the commentary.  However, the media might opt to focus on Alabama's injuries and the NFL Postseason

40 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

He really needs to choose his words wisely.  Act like you've been there before, Kirby (championship games, that is).  

To be fair, he has been there before. It’s just that he’s usually the one who’s lost.

13 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Always a pleasure to see Alabama and Saban lose.

Enjoy it while you can. It rarely happens. 😉 

RTR!

Edited by PepSinger