Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Pallas

S01.E07: No Compass

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I am confused as to why Misty chose to join Taissa and the others heading south. Did she want Ben to think she was as brave as Taissa?

That was my read. Misty saw Ben talking to Taissa and smiling. She misinterpreted it as attraction based on Tai doing something courageous, and she didn't want to "lose" her place with him. 

  • Love 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

23 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Shauna is supposed to be smart but she sleeps with Adam in her home in her bed  

 

The smartest of people can become blithering idiots when sex enters their lives.

  • Love 7
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2021 at 11:40 AM, BitterApple said:

It's hard to believe Simone hasn't picked up on her behavior. It would've made more sense to write her as an E.R. doctor who works nights, because otherwise, how does she not notice that Tai leaves their bed to go sit in a tree? If the dissociation is a result of a triggering event (i.e., the plane crash or receiving the post card) I could buy it, but I'm not sure Tai could've achieved this level of personal and professional success while hiding a serious mental illness. 

This and we see she has some awareness during her cleanup, so why would she continue to traumatize her son?  Her family/parents have never seen this behavior?

I buy Shauna not being sentimental about the bag or much of anything.  We already see her moral compass is messed up and has no qualms about killing and skinning a bunny, which is probably the most understandable of the things she’s done.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, AmosTheAardvark said:

Urban or suburban? 
 

Suburbs but the point @Dowel Jones made is essentially correct.    Most suburb girls don’t learn this kind of stuff unless they join Girl Scouts and even then it is mostly theoretical.    None of them were trained in mountain survival skills.   They had to pick it all up as they went.  That lead to certain uhhhhhh mishaps.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I am confused as to why Misty chose to join Taissa and the others heading south. Did she want Ben to think she was as brave as Taissa?

That goodbye to Ben was so creepy and weird - Samantha Hanratty hits it out of the park and Christina Ricci catches it (yes, I'm mixing my baseball metaphors!). 

  • Love 5
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

15 hours ago, Kristi800 said:

That goodbye to Ben was so creepy and weird - Samantha Hanratty hits it out of the park and Christina Ricci catches it (yes, I'm mixing my baseball metaphors!). 

The others standing around looked so second-hand embarrassed. 

  • Love 5
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

It feels like the story is starting to stall out a little. Also, I hate the trope of some female character taking a pair of scissors to her own head and then looking like she just walked out of a high-end salon. There's no way Taissa's hair would have looked that perfect if she chopped it off herself. She didn't even have a mirror!

Quote

I don’t see him blackmailing his own wife and her friends, but being ethical enough to refuse free money elsewhere.

Shauna didn't receive a postcard, according to what she told Tai and Nat. 

Quote

If Adam turns out to be Javi, then I will lose the respect the series has earned so far. How could Shauna not recognize someone she ate, slept near, and worked with for 19 months? 

Agreed. Nobody changes that much, physically, from that age onward. That's kind of an artistic liberty shows like this take that I have a hard time buying into. With the exception of Misty, none of the teen characters look anything like their adult counterparts. Teen Shauna, in particular, looks nothing like adult Shauna, and moreover, adult Shauna's voice is higher pitched than her teen voice. Your voice does not get higher as you grow older!

Quote

Aw, Van. She was (and I guess could still be alive, but I doubt it) one of the best characters.    

It's possible she could survive the attack initially but it's unlikely she'd recover from those injuries. Hell, it's unrealistic that Ben survived too. The sheer shock, trauma and blood loss from losing that leg should have killed him on Day 1. 

Quote

I don't understand the wiki mention that they crashed in Northern Ontario. Was this mentioned on the actual show? Why were they flying there? 

The pilot told them they were veering north to avoid a storm. We still don't know why the plane crashed, though. I wonder if Misty is responsible for that, too.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

There is a re-watch for streaming and I'm watching before I go out later. Just noticed that in The Dollhouse the carved dog is in Misty's glove box when Natalie discovers the battery cable.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There's no way Taissa's hair would have looked that perfect if she chopped it off herself. She didn't even have a mirror!

I thought her hair looked pretty bad lol.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

With the exception of Misty, none of the teen characters look anything like their adult counterparts. Teen Shauna, in particular, looks nothing like adult Shauna, and moreover, adult Shauna's voice is higher pitched than her teen voice. Your voice does not get higher as you grow older!

This. I mean, I don't really care though. I'd rather they focus more on getting good actors who can sell the characters rather than whether they look like each other or not.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

We still don't know why the plane crashed, though. I wonder if Misty is responsible for that, too.

Yea, I keep waiting for the reveal that the plane crash wasn't an accident. I briefly wondered if maybe Lottie's dad is behind it but that might be a bit too dark lol.

1 hour ago, WaltersHair said:

There is a re-watch for streaming and I'm watching before I go out later. Just noticed that in The Dollhouse the carved dog is in Misty's glove box when Natalie discovers the battery cable.

Nice catch!

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2021 at 7:05 AM, Tatum said:

I wonder if the actress playing young Shauna had to work with Melanie Lynskey at all or production just got really lucky. But young Shauna mirrors Adult Shauna really well with the speaking patterns and the facial expressions.

I found it interesting that in pictures of the young actress who plays Shauna (who is Canadian), she has blue or green eyes. In the show, she has brown eyes, likely to match Melanie Lynskey. I think the younger actress looks amazing with brown eyes and it really makes her resemble the adult actress, in addition to the mirroring of speaking patterns and facial expressions that you mentioned. They match much better than the other three pairs of actresses. 

I am confused about Juliette Lewis playing adult Natalie. She has this slurred speech way of talking that makes me think of her as a recovering addict who suffered permanant damage. Is that something Juliette Lewis has incorporated into the character, or is that just how the actress really talks? If it's the former, it is an example of great acting. I have no idea.

  • Love 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I am confused about Juliette Lewis playing adult Natalie. She has this slurred speech way of talking that makes me think of her as a recovering addict who suffered permanant damage. Is that something Juliette Lewis has incorporated into the character, or is that just how the actress really talks? If it's the former, it is an example of great acting. I have no idea.

That's kind of just how she talks. And I'll have to disagree about Melanie Lynskey/Sophie Nelisse. I don't think they look or sound anything alike, especially the former. The thing about Melanie Lynskey is that she has sort of a little girl voice. Now granted, it's probably hard to find a good match to play the same character at different ages, so I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but it's really hard when the adult character has such a distinctive way of speaking that sounds absolutely nothing like the teen version. I almost have to fanwank that the trauma of the experience caused Shauna to regress and start speaking in a higher register in a weird, affected way.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/28/2021 at 1:24 PM, yellowjacket said:

Suburban.  I'm imaging they're from Central New Jersey, Middlesex/Monmouth counties.  Shauna said something about Route 9 in this episode. (As in sprung from cages on Highway 9, 45 year old song reference).

Agreed about Middlesex/Monmouth counties. The route 9 reference and in 1 episode young Shauna was wearing an Asbury Park t-shirt.  I’m from Middlesex county.

Also the Star Ledger is a central Jersey newspaper. 

Edited by Inga · Reason: Forgot about the Star Ledger
  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2021 at 11:04 PM, Shermie said:

I've loved Melanie Lynskey since she was the not-so-ugly stepsister to Drew Barrymore's Cinderella in "Ever After", one of my favourite movies.

Not surprised they're not great hunters because how could someone be a good hunter if you've never done it? But those woods should have lots of game year round. Deer and rabbits don't hibernate or migrate south. I agree with Tai that they should start walking south; she's right, eventually they'll find civilization. Like she said, they're not on an island. 

I don't understand the wiki mention that they crashed in Northern Ontario. Was this mentioned on the actual show? Why were they flying there? I know they went off course, but that seems way way off. Where were they coming from and where were they going?

I don't know why anyone thinks Van could still be alive. Large chunks of her face were gone. Even if she was still breathing, there's no way she'd survive those injuries, esp in those circumstances.

They were flying from New Jersey to Seattle 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, thanks.

Why don’t they create a giant SOS by the lake? It’s an open area and planes do fly over Northern Ontario regularly. Eventually someone would see it. I’m very curious how they do eventually get rescued.

  • Love 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/31/2021 at 11:24 AM, iMonrey said:

Also, I hate the trope of some female character taking a pair of scissors to her own head and then looking like she just walked out of a high-end salon. There's no way Taissa's hair would have looked that perfect if she chopped it off herself. She didn't even have a mirror!

 

22 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I thought her hair looked pretty bad lol.

In my opinion the hair length is extremely unflattering on most people, but @iMonrey is correct that it looks like another person cut it or evened it out.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Inga said:

Agreed about Middlesex/Monmouth counties. The route 9 reference and in 1 episode young Shauna was wearing an Asbury Park t-shirt.  I’m from Middlesex county.

Also the Star Ledger is a central Jersey newspaper. 

Hi neighbor.  I am from Monmouth County and I mis-spent my youth in Asbury Park a long time ago.  Star Ledger used to be the Newark Star Ledger but it was basically the state newspaper.  Now it's nj.com and sucks wind.

NY Times has a profile of Juliette Lewis, I'll put a link in the media thread if no one has.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Ugh, midnight cannot get here fast enough. I'm diligently avoiding spoilers but I hear episode 08 is bonkers. 

I'm wondering, what the hell is Misty going to do with Jessica Roberts? 

I watched the marathon on Showtime last night, and Van's face was way more mangled than I originally thought. Dead Cabin Guy better have left plenty of needle and thread for the amount of stitches she'll need. 

 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Shermie said:

Okay, thanks.

Why don’t they create a giant SOS by the lake? It’s an open area and planes do fly over Northern Ontario regularly. Eventually someone would see it. I’m very curious how they do eventually get rescued.

I’m not sure how they get rescued but it must not be by Tai or else she would touted as a hero and probably winning her senate race. I put my theory in the spec thread since i guess we can’t post stuff like that on here anymore 

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Ugh, midnight cannot get here fast enough. I'm diligently avoiding spoilers but I hear episode 08 is bonkers. 

I'm wondering, what the hell is Misty going to do with Jessica Roberts? 

I watched the marathon on Showtime last night, and Van's face was way more mangled than I originally thought. Dead Cabin Guy better have left plenty of needle and thread for the amount of stitches she'll need. 

 

Do we think that Jessica was telling the truth about being hired by Tai?

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Inga said:

Do we think that Jessica was telling the truth about being hired by Tai?

I think so, yes. Remember in a previous episode Jessica called Tai while she was trailing Misty and Nat to New Hampshire. Tai made a snarky comment about Jessica being slow to update her because she was too busy cashing Tai's checks. 

  • Love 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

In my opinion the hair length is extremely unflattering on most people, but @iMonrey is correct that it looks like another person cut it or evened it out.

Maybe someone else just evened it out, probably Van.

35 minutes ago, Inga said:

Do we think that Jessica was telling the truth about being hired by Tai?

We know for a fact she is because, as @BitterApple said, we saw Tai and Jessica discussing it in an earlier ep.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Maybe someone else just evened it out, probably Van.

We know for a fact she is because, as @BitterApple said, we saw Tai and Jessica discussing it in an earlier ep.

Ok, i do slightly remember that, lol. Why do i feel like i need to binge all the episodes again….

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Inga said:

Why do i feel like i need to binge all the episodes again….

I'm sure we've all missed so many little clues!

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh god these girls are dumbasses. They found a stream and they still continued going south? You always follow the water. Streams merge, become rivers and humans settle on rivers. Even if it takes you weeks of walking at least you'll always have water to drink. This stream might not have drinkable water, but the river it flows into will.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2021 at 2:35 AM, WaltersHair said:

How old is Adam supposed to be? He seems at least 10 years younger in the present and the young Javi I see on screen is about 5 years younger. If 10 years younger, he'd have to be 7 or 8 in the flashbacks. Kid has five o'clock shadow.

She'd be in her very early 40s (the actress is mid 40s) and I'd buy that that guy is in his mid 30s (the actor is 36). So 5 years age difference doesn't seem unreasonable.

  • Love 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Zonk said:

She'd be in her very early 40s (the actress is mid 40s) and I'd buy that that guy is in his mid 30s (the actor is 36). So 5 years age difference doesn't seem unreasonable.

5 years age difference is nothing at those ages. When I was in my 30s, I had a dating rule - up to 10 years younger or up to 10 years older 😆. They both had their charms. In real life, Melanie is married to Jason Ritter, who is at least a couple years younger than she is.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Not to be mean, but I was kinda disappointed in Van's death scene. It just didn't pack the emotional punch for me that I thought it would. It felt tacked-on, like the writers knew this was the episode where she had to die but then got caught up in all the other stuff going on so they added a rushed minute-long scene at the end. For the longest time, I actually thought it was all a dream Tai was having while dissociating, it was that random. Anyway, RIP Van. She was very enjoyable to watch, but I hope she is indeed dead (again, not to be mean) because I really want Tai and Simone to work things out and I don't need her showing up in the finale, soap opera-style to whisk Tai away and put the final nail on her marriage's coffin. The next episode looks like a step in the right direction, with Tai finally talking about her mental issues in an attempt to protect Simone. Fingers crossed.

I don't for a second buy Jeff is the blackmailer. He just doesn't seem like he has the intellectual depth for that kind of stunt. I'm fully expecting the glitter Shauna finds in her closet to be from Adam while he was hiding in there. However, regardless of how it plays out, I'm pretty sure Shauna is gonna accuse and confront the wrong person so that the reveal of the actual blackmailer comes as a shock to her (though, in that case, I do agree that her confronting Adam about being the blackmailer only for him to alibi out and her to find out it was Jeff all along would certainly be the most "shocking" option, just not one that I would buy).

Misty told Jessica she was "protecting her friends," which was weirdly touching (assuming she's genuine, and I have no reason to believe she's not). However, I also believed Jessica when she said she had nothing to do with Travis's death, which means either Misty is actually not that great of a citizen detective or Jessica is a stone-cold psychopath who is even better at lying and manipulation than Misty (tough shoes to fill, tbh). Also, speaking of Misty doing weirdly touching things, was she watching the same Sandra Bullock movie in the present that Van was telling them about around the campfire that first night out in the woods? 

It's interesting what was mentioned upthread about young Shauna's actress mirroring adult Shauna's facial expressions and way of speaking, because I actually noticed the same thing in this episode with the actress playing young Natalie. IDK, something about her facial expressions in the scene with the truncated sex with Travis really reminded me of the way Juliette Lewis plays adult Nat and I too wondered if it might have been intentional.

On 1/1/2022 at 1:31 AM, BigDfromLA said:

I found it interesting that in pictures of the young actress who plays Shauna (who is Canadian), she has blue or green eyes. In the show, she has brown eyes, likely to match Melanie Lynskey.

Tawny Cypress also has brown eyes here, probably to match the actress playing young Tai.

Edited by Niuxita
  • Love 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Niuxita said:

Misty told Jessica she was "protecting her friends," which was weirdly touching (assuming she's genuine, and I have no reason to believe she's not). However, I also believed Jessica when she said she had nothing to do with Travis's death, which means either Misty is actually not that great of a citizen detective or Jessica is a stone-cold psychopath who is even better at lying and manipulation than Misty (tough shoes to fill, tbh). Also, speaking of Misty doing weirdly touching things, was she watching the same Sandra Bullock movie in the present that Van was telling them about around the campfire that first night out in the woods? 

She was indeed! There is something weirdly touching about Misty, that this time in the woods is the one time in her life she can look back on and think of herself as having friends. Agreed, too, about Jessica and Travis. Given what we know of her it was be just way random for her to turn out to have any reason to kill Travis at all.

11 hours ago, Niuxita said:

It's interesting what was mentioned upthread about young Shauna's actress mirroring adult Shauna's facial expressions and way of speaking, because I actually noticed the same thing in this episode with the actress playing young Natalie. IDK, something about her facial expressions in the scene with the truncated sex with Travis really reminded me of the way Juliette Lewis plays adult Nat and I too wondered if it might have been intentional.

Thsi makes me think how I read that Natalie was the only character where they cast the younger version first. It seems fitting for Nat since it seems like her teenaged self is more the real person where as an adult she's more of a shell.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I didn't understand the comment that "Winter's coming and there's nothing to hunt."

I haven't paid much attention to when the plane crashed, so I'm not sure about the seasons. But, at any rate, those woods should be teeming with wildlife year-round. Deer and rabbits (which they've already hunted) don't hibernate.

Maybe they're just crappy hunters.

I haven't watched the whole season -- I have three episodes left. But I think that Nat and Travis are pretty good hunters, with Nat being a particularly good shot. I'm thinking something is wrong with the wildlife. I have a pretty strong stomach for gore, thanks to many years of watching "The Walking Dead" and "Dr. Pimple Popper," but when it was revealed that the deer's abdominal cavity was filled with maggots, I gagged.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/26/2021 at 5:55 PM, WaltersHair said:

 

On 1/16/2022 at 4:23 PM, Zonk said:

Oh god these girls are dumbasses. They found a stream and they still continued going south? You always follow the water. Streams merge, become rivers and humans settle on rivers. Even if it takes you weeks of walking at least you'll always have water to drink. This stream might not have drinkable water, but the river it flows into will.

Unless the stream is on of the ones that feeds the lake and they end up back where they started.

Don't get me wrong, following the water is usually a pretty good survival strategy, but in this case it might not have helped.

I think they should have gone around the lake first to see if there was a stream or river exiting it that they could follow. 

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Unless the stream is on of the ones that feeds the lake and they end up back where they started.

Don't get me wrong, following the water is usually a pretty good survival strategy, but in this case it might not have helped.

I think they should have gone around the lake first to see if there was a stream or river exiting it that they could follow. 

I would have tracked the river to find the source of the "blood": it might have been chemicals from a nearby plant.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Unless the stream is on of the ones that feeds the lake and they end up back where they started.

Then that lake has to have an outlet somwhere. It's not exactly massive. Circle it once.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/1/2022 at 4:34 PM, BitterApple said:

Ugh, midnight cannot get here fast enough. I'm diligently avoiding spoilers but I hear episode 08 is bonkers. 

I'm wondering, what the hell is Misty going to do with Jessica Roberts? 

I watched the marathon on Showtime last night, and Van's face was way more mangled than I originally thought. Dead Cabin Guy better have left plenty of needle and thread for the amount of stitches she'll need. 

 

You could see her back teeth through the hole in her cheek. 😬

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size