Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Flower’s Article

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 11/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, AnimeMania said:
On 11/12/2021 at 11:11 AM, iMonrey said:

That makes me question why Flower is stuck where she is, though. She and her hippy friends were living in a commune in the woods. Were the woods on that house's property? Doesn't seem like the owners would allow that.

I think they said something about Flower attending a concert and went off into the woods to use the bathroom and was mauled by a bear.

That's how I thought she died too, but this episode she mentioned (if I heard correctly) that when she got mauled when on the run after stealing the money

On 11/13/2021 at 5:10 PM, Johann said:

If the ghosts look like they did at the exact moment that they died, then it's highly likely that Flower died from one of the first slashes from the bear.  He could have still mauled her after she was dead.

When she was introduced in the pilot, you could clearly see the claw marks on her back.  In this episode, when she turned to walk out (through) the door, I didn't see them.  Maybe a make up dept faux pas?

5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

So nobody cares that the coffee shop mogul is a criminal?  Statute of limitations or not . . .

Again, I only watched it once, but didn't the wording on the cup say that the original owner (Flower's boyfriend) had also passed away?  If that were the case, then new ownership can't be blamed for the origins of the coffee shop funding

I do appreciate the writers including these little nuances.  Mr. Ctlady immediately mentioned about the owner possibly being indicted for bank robbery if the article were to come out, unless there was a statute of limitations and.....right after he said they had dialogue about it

So, ghosts can go through doors, can't knock anything over or grab onto anything, but......they can sit on beds, couches and chairs without going through them?

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Again, I only watched it once, but didn't the wording on the cup say that the original owner (Flower's boyfriend) had also passed away?  If that were the case, then new ownership can't be blamed for the origins of the coffee shop funding

Flower's boyfriend would be at least in his 70s today, so the odds favor him not being around anymore.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

That's how I thought she died too, but this episode she mentioned (if I heard correctly) that when she got mauled when on the run after stealing the money

You can go to a concert while you're on the run.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Katy M said:
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

Oh - I know.  The way she described it was as if they took they money, ran into the woods and got attacked by the bear with no time out for a concert. The flashback just stated 1969, and not sure where the commune was in conjunction to where Woodstock was held in August 1969 (which is the concert I'm assuming she attended).  

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Flower's boyfriend would be at least in his 70s today, so the odds favor him not being around anymore.

Well he could've still been alive - 70 ain't that old.  

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Katy M said:
8 hours ago, ctlady said:

Not on the run, they got away scot free.

5 hours ago, ctlady said:

Woodstock was held in August 1969

That is the concert that was implied, but how close that was to the mansion could cause logistical problems for the TV show.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

If only the commune had been able to do the sensible thing and divide the money between more than one cause....

That's funny.  I would think the sensible thing would be to not rob a bank in the first place.  I mean, if we're going to go for sensible.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
On 11/15/2021 at 9:30 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

So nobody cares that the coffee shop mogul is a criminal?  Statute of limitations or not . . .

Yeah, that really bugged me too. 

I wasn't paying that much attention, but what happened with the two Native Americans? Did the woman ghost freak because Sassapis was honest with wanting to be with her?

The Samantha-is-talking-to-ghosts-when-a-living-walks-in-and-has-to-cover-for-sounding-like-a-crazy-person thing is beyond tired. They need to figure something else out. 

The editor was right to call her out: every appearance she made at the office (and just walking into his office when he's not there, no less) could have been an email or a phone call. I get that she had to appear in person so she could talk to the ghosts, but it was just dumb.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Noticed the ratings slipped for this episode. I hope it's not the beginning of a trend.

Anyway way I think the show should address the disapearance (no pun intended) of various ghosts in the episodes. Is there an in cannon explanation why they are not in an episode...that ghosts can only manifest for so long or something?

If its a budgetary issue it would be very easy to explain....given how its well established that the ghosts love TV.  All they needed to do for episodes like this recent episode was have a couple of stands Ins for Thor and Downton Abbey lady with their backs to us in the background watching a tv program while everyone else was caught up in the Flower drama.

Whenever a particular ghost doesn't show up in an episode it stands out like a sore thumb especially with the Downton Abbey ghost benched two episodes in a row.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 2

I never even notice when some ghosts aren't there until I read about it here.  I don't think they need an explanation.  The grounds seem huge and I can believe a change of scenery is wanted.  I'm not surprised that they might want to wander about the grounds or even want to be in a different room from everyone.  They've been there for a long time with each other.  I don't think they need to spell it out.

• Love 24
24 minutes ago, Johann said:

I never even notice when some ghosts aren't there until I read about it here.  I don't think they need an explanation.  The grounds seem huge and I can believe a change of scenery is wanted.  I'm not surprised that they might want to wander about the grounds or even want to be in a different room from everyone.  They've been there for a long time with each other.  I don't think they need to spell it out.

Exactly. 
But if the concern expressed here for the whereabouts of a MIA favorite ghost is representative of the audience as a whole, the writers could drop a few lines that are also funny about where a particular absent ghost is, and then they will have established that out-of-sight does not mean a ghost was "sucked off" (tee hee).
And just like that we have our first absentee ghost joke line.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:
On 11/15/2021 at 7:25 PM, AnimeMania said:

Not on the run, they got away scot free.

They were on the run from the cult though since they stole the money from them.

This was the commune, not the cult. They're very similar, but the commune let you wear your shoes and you could still talk to your family.

What is the commune going to do, run around the city asking people if they saw two hippies that helped them rob a bank last week.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Is there an commune and a cult or is it what I thought and it was a cult and all the ghosts think that but Flower believes it was not a cult?

Eh, speaking from personal experience and what we saw of their meeting in which clearly there was not one person telling everyone else what to think:

• [Flower] After the bank robbery, the commune spent weeks debating what to do with the money.

it was a commune, not a cult. 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Eh lol.

But so then it's just that the other ghosts think it's a cult but Flower sees it as a commune and not that Flower was involved in both a commune and a cult then?

Yes.
If/when the other ghosts say it was a cult, they are just being snooty. IMO. 

Back in the 70s, my middle-class suburban mother was very insistent on correcting anyone who referred to me as a hippie, clarifying that I was Not a hippie; I was a "flower child."
No kidding. That was mom about me verbatim.

But, IIRC, in an earlier episode Flower may have said she was also in a cult at another time.

But that group who couldn't decide what to do with the money after weeks of debates was not a cult. 
A cult would have a charismatic leader telling them what to do, when to do it, and whom to do it with.

• Love 10

Flower said she was in a cult at some other time, but the robbing the bank and deciding what to do with the money was the commune that let them wear shoes and contact their families. Which would also make it not a cult. A cult leader only wants their followers to depend on them and no one else. 

Trevor was the one that called it a cult and I wouldn't trust him to know much. 

• Love 10

Seems like he'd be reassured by the commune valuing money enough to rob a bank, though.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:28 PM, ctlady said:

Well he could've still been alive - 70 ain't that old. 

But how likely is it he was only 18 back in 1969?

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 11/17/2021 at 4:43 PM, Johann said:

Count me in with those who don't notice when ghosts are missing. The cast is so large, I'm not surprised that not everyone is on every week. Otherwise, you'd have like in the pilot: each character gets one or two lines of dialogue, which just amounts to so much noise.

• Love 5

Loved this episode. However, I am biased as it had an extra special treat for me. Within the first few seconds I immediately recognized the voice and eyes/eyebrows of Flower's fellow burglar and commune buddy as a person I know IRL. I didn't know he was going to be in it. Apparently, they let him keep the beans he used to count the votes for 

On 11/17/2021 at 2:08 PM, kwnyc said:

NARWHALS!

vs

On 11/17/2021 at 4:16 PM, nora1992 said:

FERAL CATS IN COSTA RICA!

!!!

On 11/15/2021 at 11:06 AM, ctlady said:

So, ghosts can go through doors, can't knock anything over or grab onto anything, but......they can sit on beds, couches and chairs without going through them?

Their footsteps also make noise. This episode I clearly heard Alberta and Isaac's heels/steps when they phased into Flower's room to share their examples of overexaggerating. Halloween you could hear them walking on the gravel outside. I think this aspect of the show is just something we--the audience--need to add to our suspension of disbelief.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:23 AM, SmithW6079 said:

Count me in with those who don't notice when ghosts are missing. 

Sure, but you also already admitted you don't pay close attention while watching ;) Speaking of...

On 11/17/2021 at 10:32 AM, SmithW6079 said:

I wasn't paying that much attention, but what happened with the two Native Americans? Did the woman ghost freak because Sassapis was honest with wanting to be with her?

Samantha got tired of the games and outed Sassapis' love for the woman before Sassapis said he'd rather be honest (yes, the woman freaked out and made an excuse to leave the convo with Sam). Sam came clean at home and when Sassapis heard about his crush's reaction, he begged for Jay to restart the games texting again. Later, Jay showed Sam his original post-first-date text that she never received, and though she now thought it was sweet, admitted she'd have run away. Then the ghost sex convo happened. So we'll see what happens between the two Lenni Lenape ghosts in a future episode I'm guessing. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Check Sanity said:

Loved this episode. However, I am biased as it had an extra special treat for me. Within the first few seconds I immediately recognized the voice and eyes/eyebrows of Flower's fellow burglar and commune buddy as a person I know IRL. I didn't know he was going to be in it. Apparently, they let him keep the beans he used to count the votes for 

Oh, that's so cool :)! What a neat surprise for you. 

• Love 6
On 11/12/2021 at 10:11 AM, iMonrey said:

I wonder if Rebecca Wisocky costs too much to have on every episode. She is one of the better known actors in the cast.

Devious Maids was a guilty of pleasure of mine, in a big part due to her.

This show probably is not going to win a lot of awards, but I am really enjoying it.  It is one of the few network sitcoms I have watched in recent years, besides Good Place.  It almost has a throw back feel to it and is a bit of comfort food, but does have some clever writing to it.  I wonder if Rose's character being named Sam/Samantha is a nod to Bewtiched.  I am ok ignoring some of the inconsistencies.

When one of the robbers had a bear mask on, I was wondering if there was a twist where she actually got murdered by one of her robber friends.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CCTC said:

I wonder if Rose's character being named Sam/Samantha is a nod to Bewtiched. 

How did I miss that! Although witches and ghosts aren’t the same 🧐

1 hour ago, CCTC said:

When one of the robbers had a bear mask on, I was wondering if there was a twist where she actually got murdered by one of her robber friends

If not for the claw marks——unless they’re not real claw marks, but rather manifestations of what Flower believes happened? 🤔

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

If not for the claw marks——unless they’re not real claw marks, but rather manifestations of what Flower believes happened? 🤔

Except part of the Daisy cafe mandate is literally teaching about bear safety. Not sure that would have been something Ira held onto if Flower hadn't died from an actual bear attack.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 11/12/2021 at 11:03 PM, Johann said:

I think it would be odd for the ghosts to be constrained by ever-changing property lines.  I'm sure the property lines, if they even existed, weren't the same when Thorfinn died.  Plus, it's unfair that these ghosts have acres to roam and someone who died in a studio apartment is confined to 500 square ft.  It makes more sense that they would be restricted to a certain area, like 1 mile from where they died.  But then, we're asking for logic in a ghost sitcom.

Yeah, this episode got me thinking about the ghosts' boundaries, too.  I just sort of accepted the estate grounds as their boundary lines.  But, as Johann pointed out, there would not have been property lines when Thorfinn died.  And the ghosts at the magazine office - I would think they would be able to be in the entire building, not just that office.  So Sam could just whisper "meet me in the ladies room in 5 minutes". 

I like the idea of them having some sort of radius to their actual point of death.   What if someone died in a phone booth?  Or a port-a-potty?  Or a car?  They'd be stuck in that space forever?  That wouldn't be right.  This would be fun for them to explore on the show. 

• Love 7
On 11/13/2021 at 4:44 PM, kwnyc said:

And if you would ever like to see the indigenous people whose land is where you live, check out this map:

https://native-land.ca/

That's a cool map.  I always knew the Susquehannock were indigenous to where I live (grew up right next to where the Susquehanna River meets the Chesapeake Bay, literally) but I didn't know the Nanticoke ranged up this far north.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:07 AM, Ms Lark said:

Yep, Caffe Americano is espresso with hot water added to dilute it. 

The cup was pink, not the contents of the cup.

• Love 3

One of the things I like so much about this show is the new ghosts they come up with (although the core house group will always be my favorites).  For this episode, I liked the newsboy ghost cheerfully recounting how he died and the Lenape woman reacting to the messages - full marks to the casting people of this show.  For the core group, I am okay with different ghosts having different amounts to time in various episodes and even okay with some not appearing at all (as long as they will pop up again soon because I do like all of them).

Flower/Susan may not be my favorite character but good golly I do like how the actress commits to the role - her reactions are wonderful and she spaces out mid-scene in such a marvelous way. 

• Love 8

“I can’t believe I’m using my ghosts powers for this!”- Sam “Sam come back, I want to tell Jay about Ghost sex!”

best part of the episode for me. Well second best, I am glad that Flower’s boyfriend was able to honor her memory. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

“I can’t believe I’m using my ghosts powers for this!”- Sam “Sam come back, I want to tell Sam about Ghost sex!”

I love that scene. I just rewatched this ep last night (doing a third rewatch of the season because...why not) and Sass's delivery there cracks me up every time. 

Also, I want to know more about ghost sex!

• Love 2

I loved this episode both plots were very funny. I want to see a flashback episode to Sam and Jay's first date. I would like to see Ira visit the B&B and reunite with Flower. I feel bad that Sass can't see Sharikiri being stuck at the mansion has its drawbacks.

• Love 2
On 11/12/2021 at 4:19 PM, tennisgurl said:

Sasappis wanting to start dating his crush from when he was alive was cute, and I really liked Jay trying to help him send her a message. I love that Jay and the ghosts are becoming friends despite the fact that Jay cant see or hear them. 

Jay continues to be awesome at showing how he is starting to really care about these invisible ghosts he can't communicate with except via Sam. He had a good idea with the roll-call of ghosts each time Sam comes into a room and starts a conversation (his disappointment in the kitchen when Sam, Alberta and Isaac stopped and left mid-conversation was sad/frustrating) and I loved how he immediately was so invested in helping Sasappis text the Lenape woman. That entire conversation was gold as was Trevor's clear hero-worship of Jay's mad-awesome texting skills XD.

LOL at Jay wanting to know how ghost-sex works and whether or not the ghosts can take off their clothes. I'd like to think that Jay, knowing that even though he can't see or hear the ghosts they can see him, wanted to preemptively avoid any accidental nudity situation in the future if he could help it. He's already got to deal with the ghost with no pants flirting with his wife :p.

"I was in love with her and I thought she was in love with me, so I killed a deer and brought it to her family." As you do, Sasappis. XD. LOL at him storming off like a teenager after he yelled at Sam that she ruined everything. I half-expected him to say that she was the worst Living ever XD

Flower's origin story was good to hear, finally, and I might have gotten a little choked up at the reveal of the back of the coffee cup from Daisy's :)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Jay continues to be awesome at showing how he is starting to really care about these invisible ghosts he can't communicate with except via Sam. He had a good idea with the roll-call of ghosts each time Sam comes into a room and starts a conversation (his disappointment in the kitchen when Sam, Alberta and Isaac stopped and left mid-conversation was sad/frustrating) and I loved how he immediately was so invested in helping Sasappis text the Lenape woman. That entire conversation was gold as was Trevor's clear hero-worship of Jay's mad-awesome texting skills XD.

I liked the roll call bit, too. I also loved him being all, "Did you just ask a Lenape ghost if they knew another Lenape ghost?" to Sam. And I love the ghosts' reaction to the concept of being "ghosted" - and that Jay knew they'd be offended by that XD.

"I was in love with her and I thought she was in love with me, so I killed a deer and brought it to her family." As you do, Sasappis. XD.

Pete: "Sure."