Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/1/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

Could feel my blood pressure rising during Michelle and Sara's dodge (TM Sunny). Apparently, their children are too innocent to learn about the racism their friends may face as members of "affinity groups." I'm actually disappointed in Sara, with her belabored hypotheticals.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 21
6 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

On the East Coast, when they did come back live, there was a banner that said to catch what you missed, go to abc.com after 5pm EST and one could watch what we missed.  I went there at 6pm and it wasn't up.  I just checked and it's there now but it's on a pay window.  THANKS, ABC!  (Why did I think that they were going to make a special exception for the first 10 minutes since they're the ones who interrupted it?😡)

Here's the clip from yesterday

• LOL 1
  • Love 17

I really wish Whoopie would learn how to pronounce the names of the candidates for Virginia’s Governor.  Neither name is that hard to pronounce.  Although after today she would only need to learn the pronunciation of whoever wins.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Tammy12 said:

Here's the clip from yesterday

I like the part where Whoopi says "I just wanted to say it out loud"---Do you mean you want it to be AUDIBLE, Whoopi? That was pretty fucking sly! you know the princess burned over that one.

For the record-I am not watching today. I will not watch anything with Cohen on it. I blame him and Fox news for most of the shit that is wrong in America.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 7

The CRT discussion is so pointless. The only thing anyone can do is keep repeating “CRT is not being taught in public schools, this is a lie” as Sunny was doing… And yet the discussion keeps spinning around as if anything being said is based in fact. Just a very sad state.

As for Sara diverting to talking about how she wouldn’t want her daughter to be told the world is against her… Well, for one, as Sunny said, nobody is saying these things to children in the first place (on gender or race or otherwise). But leaving that aside, I couldn't help thinking that Sara clearly wants her children to be lied to, to present some naive illusion to them that the world is fair and the deck won’t be stacked against some people versus others. As for the guest co-host, for anyone who didn’t watch that was wondering what she was like, I’d describe her as a lighter version of Jeanine Pirro. Something about the way she looked and spoke reminded me of her.

I didn’t comment on yesterday’s show, but I enjoyed the interview with Abedin. I didn’t think I was going to get to see it since the press conference cut in. Thankfully, the show was back before the guest was introduced.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

As for Sara diverting to talking about how she wouldn’t want her daughter to be told the world is against her…

That is hilarious...poor little whatsherface with the famous mother, being told the world is against her.  The struggle is real.

Ever since SWMNBN left, little by little Sara's been letting her right-wing nuttiness shine through.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

But leaving that aside, I couldn't help thinking that Sara clearly wants her children to be lied to, to present some naive illusion to them that the world is fair and the deck won’t be stacked against some people versus others.

Let's face it. Sara's kids are going to grow up in privilege.  And good for them.  But she is not going to be doing them any favors if she tries to shield them from the reality that sadly not all kids grow up with that same privilege.

And of course the white co host says can we just forget about color.  Whoopi was right to shut her down.   It's easy for white people to not have to think about it.  But for people of color it is something they are constantly having to deal with.

9 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

As for the guest co-host, for anyone who didn’t watch that was wondering what she was like, I’d describe her as a lighter version of Jeanine Pirro. Something about the way she looked and spoke reminded me of her.

I agree with this.  After only watching her for fifteen minutes I can say she has been the worst guest co host so far.

• Love 18
19 hours ago, KittyQ said:

That was a little strange. More information would have been helpful to understand what the problem is.

I don't know that there's that much resistance to using solar power. For example, our local power company has a "community" solar project where members contribute to the development of a larger solar array to provide additional power through the company. It makes it easier to use solar power in an area where consistent sunshine isn't always available.

Individual solar panels can be expensive to set up and not everyone's home is in a location that is conducive to using solar power. 

That's what I was wondering.  Our local power company (and it's actually privately owned by foreign investors) also encourages it and provides rebates, etc.  So the only thing I could think of is that her neighborhood/HOA is against it because they can be somewhat unsightly if in the front of your house!

• Love 1

I’m sure it’s an UPO but I didn’t mind Tafoya. At least she was engaged and wasn’t intimidated by Whoopi. Of course SWSNBN set the bar so low for what is acceptable as a cohost, anyone is an improvement. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I’m sure it’s an UPO but I didn’t mind Tafoya. At least she was engaged and wasn’t intimidated by Whoopi. Of course SWSNBN set the bar so low for what is acceptable as a cohost, anyone is an improvement. 

So far, I don't mind her either (although the show isn't over yet where I am, so that might change). However, it seemed to me that Sunny and Whoopi are determined to intimidate anyone who has a different perspective and talking over them. Talk about dodges - Tafoya was making a point about vaccines and Whoopi was the one to bring abortion into it, changing the conversation instead of sticking with the vaccination topic. Of course, abortion and vaccination are not the same thing, but I think what Tafoya was getting at was that anytime the government presumes to dictate what you can and can't do medically, it makes some people stubborn because they don't like being told what to do. (I also don't like being told what to do, but primarily in response to people I know).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Could feel my blood pressure rising during Michelle and Sara's dodge (TM Sunny). Apparently, their children are too innocent to learn about the racism their friends may face as member of "affinity groups." I'm actually disappointed in Sara, with her belabored hypotheticals.

Wow, did you see the look on Sara's face when Sunny said that?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I'm still watching today's episode, but I feel kind of the same way. There hasn't been a host who's made my blood pressure rise like MM.

• Love 1

Wow Whoopi really defused that whole hot topic masterfully. And i thought her response was fantastic.  Tafoya was talking abt anti vaccers and Ws voice started to get higher and more terse.  Then she just dropped it back down, let go of the anger and just explained why.  And that was it, no childish rants, no screaming, and DEFinitely no crying lol

• Love 6

I like Tafoya on Monday Night Football.   Not so much here.    I really didn't like her implying some type of causation between her son no longer being close to certain bestie's of color and those bestie's joining affinity groups.   One likely had nothing to do with the other.      A kid having pizza at lunch once a month with other kids with similar interests is not likely to result in the kid not wanting to be friends the remaining days with kids who doesn't have that interest.    Makes me wonder if she has similar issues with other groups at the school that target specific interests (chess club, Christian groups, art club, LGBT etc.) or just the race based ones.        

• Love 10
On 11/1/2021 at 11:56 AM, Rainyhawk said:

I didn’t get sunnys comment on solar panels?  Who was stopping her…she said because of lobbyists?  No issue getting solar energy where I live.  So I wondered if maybe she means her neighborhood won’t allow it because of how they look?  I was confused..maybe I missed something there.

I know Bill Maher said it was a battle for couple of years to get approved. The company he was using was ready to do but he could not get them installed 

The  comment from Abby said bad behavior was being rewarded could not refer to anyone but her former friend 

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, Rightside said:

Wow, did you see the look on Sara's face when Sunny said that?

I was too taken by Sara's hair.  From one angle it looks just under her clavicle.  From another it looks down to her backish.  I like it, its just like an optical illusion.

Edited by ForumLou
No Shade, I like it. Just think its killing jerr hair
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

That is hilarious...poor little whatsherface with the famous mother, being told the world is against her.  The struggle is real.

I like Sara, but I know. One thing I've noticed is that it's often the most privileged women who love to talk about sexism. Maybe they cling to it really hard when they haven't experienced poverty, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, etc. I've heard things like the b word should be considered a slur like the n word. Seriously? 

Nothing cracks me up as much as Alyssa Milano talking about how concerned she is about her daughter. Um, her parents are a multimillionaire straight white woman married to another multimillionaire straight white man in America. I'm pretty sure your kids will grow up more privileged than like 99% of people. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I am so glad Sunny called out her BS ("dodge" is too kind in my opinion). Even better that Sunny pointed out her absurd argument there is no class telling her children "you suck". We're talking about a complex theory and movement about race relations and racial justice and Sara reverts to thinking about her rich, privileged, white children. OK.

• Love 16
7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Andy on Housewives: "We don't cast wallflowers."

Joy: "That's why I'm not on it."

This is why I love her. 

Hah! Maybe Joy doesn't drink enough or have enough drama in her personal life.  Maybe the shows should more properly be called "UNReal Housewives of...."

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, thejuicer said:

I am so glad Sunny called out her BS ("dodge" is too kind in my opinion). Even better that Sunny pointed out her absurd argument there is no class telling her children "you suck". We're talking about a complex theory and movement about race relations and racial justice and Sara reverts to thinking about her rich, privileged, white children. OK.

Sara acknowledged the patriarchy exists, right?   If so, she should realize her kids are already receiving societal messages that boys can do more than girls can do.   And I doubt she would have a problem with a school group geared towards girls interested in STEM.  That would be a age appropriate way of dealing with the issue.    So why have an issue with your kid learning about structural racism in an age appropriate way.    I think people's imaginations of what might be said or taught is far different than reality.   

• Love 14
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

So far, I don't mind her either (although the show isn't over yet where I am, so that might change). However, it seemed to me that Sunny and Whoopi are determined to intimidate anyone who has a different perspective and talking over them. Talk about dodges - Tafoya was making a point about vaccines and Whoopi was the one to bring abortion into it, changing the conversation instead of sticking with the vaccination topic. Of course, abortion and vaccination are not the same thing, but I think what Tafoya was getting at was that anytime the government presumes to dictate what you can and can't do medically, it makes some people stubborn because they don't like being told what to do. (I also don't like being told what to do, but primarily in response to people I know).

The reason Whoopi brought abortion into it is because MT was saying people get upset when they are told what they need to do with their bodies. Team Whoopi on this.  

46 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I like Sara, but I know. One thing I've noticed is that it's often the most privileged women who love to talk about sexism. Maybe they cling to it really hard when they haven't experienced poverty, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, etc. I've heard things like the b word should be considered a slur like the n word. Seriously? 

Nothing cracks me up as much as Alyssa Milano talking about how concerned she is about her daughter. Um, her parents are a multimillionaire straight white woman married to another multimillionaire straight white man in America. I'm pretty sure your kids will grow up more privileged than like 99% of people. 

38 minutes ago, thejuicer said:

I like Sara but sometimes she makes it hard. She is so worried about these hypothetical/unrealistic scenarios she is missing the very real experiences of people happening right now. 

• Love 10

The sportscaster person was just a tad annoying to me - I'm not sure but did she imply that school made her child feel bad about being white?  I wasn't sure about her point neither 😕

I never understood the hoopla around CRT.  It is a university subject for law students that centers around unequal justice and laws for people of color (I think that's right, please correct me if I didn't get it right).  In school we do talk about race but of course at a very basic level  ( I mostly  taught first and second grade).  We "discuss" about how we should try to be friends with everyone and to decide on being friends by the way we behave not by how we look.  My favorite discussion was when I read "The Sneetches" to my second graders.  In the middle of it, my students began to raise their hands.  I called on them and they made comments about how unfair the ones with stars were, how mean they were to the ones without stars even though they were Sneetches too.  The one that got me was when one said, "it's like Martin Luther King said."  A friend chimed in with "We're all people like they're all Sneetches."  I was gutted.  (Hope this is not OT)

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
53 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

The reason Whoopi brought abortion into it is because MT was saying people get upset when they are told what they need to do with their bodies. Team Whoopi on this.  

I didn't save the episode, but I thought that MT agreed with Whoopi about abortion. Bringing it into the conversation shifted it away from the original discussion concerning why some people oppose vaccine mandates, though.

5 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Could feel my blood pressure rising during Michelle and Sara's dodge (TM Sunny). Apparently, their children are too innocent to learn about the racism their friends may face as member of "affinity groups." I'm actually disappointed in Sara, with her belabored hypotheticals.

Me too.  And Sara, last I heard little white girls aren't being killed by police for no reason.  So your analogy was just avoidance.  Sexism isn’t killing people either.  There’s a big difference.  
Also, if your school is telling your boy he can be anything and not saying that to your little girl, then maybe you need a new school.  I don’t think that’s part of a normal curriculum.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I like the part where Whoopi says "I just wanted to say it out loud"---Do you mean you want it to be AUDIBLE, Whoopi? That was pretty fucking sly! you know the princess burned over that one.

For the record-I am not watching today. I will not watch anything with Cohen on it. I blame him and Fox news for most of the shit that is wrong in America.

I can honestly say that I can think of lots of people other than cohen who are responsible for the everything wrong with the US.  Agree on Fox News though.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, pinguina said:

never understood the hoopla around CRT.

It’s a Republican dog whistle. I saw on the news last night a reporter asked an older white man what the biggest issue is in the VA election and he said CRT. The reporter then asked him to explain what CRT is and the man had no clue, but he knows it’s a bad thing. 

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
34 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

I can honestly say that I can think of lots of people other than cohen who are responsible for the everything wrong with the US.  Agree on Fox News though.  

I tend to be hyperbolic, but he is at the top of the list.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

I didn't save the episode, but I thought that MT agreed with Whoopi about abortion. Bringing it into the conversation shifted it away from the original discussion concerning why some people oppose vaccine mandates, though.

Yes MT said she was pro choice regarding abortion and vaccines. But they are not equivalent.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

Me too.  And Sara, last I heard little white girls aren't being killed by police for no reason.  So your analogy was just avoidance.  Sexism isn’t killing people either.  There’s a big difference.  
Also, if your school is telling your boy he can be anything and not saying that to your little girl, then maybe you need a new school.  I don’t think that’s part of a normal curriculum.  

Seriously! I've had the sexism card brought up when discussing racism before in an effort to dismiss it, and it's such bullshit, especially when you're speaking to other women. Like the others at the table aren't all women? They all have daughters too.

Sara's daughter won't have to be fearful of police. People won't automatically assume she's dangerous and be quick to label her things. Parents won't freak out about their child dating her the way they do black boys. There's not a job she won't be able to get, and with the privilege she'll have in every sense, she can really do anything. Her color, background and name won't be the cause of discrimination in the workplace. Affirmative action will benefit her more than anyone. I think Sara means well but could not disagree with her more today. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Affirmative action will benefit her more than anyone.

I don't think this is correct. Affirmative action would benefit people of color more than white women. That being said, sexism doesn't necessarily respect your parents' income, or even your own accomplishments. It may not be as obvious as racism in the workplace, but it still exists regardless of the woman's race or age. 

The ideal is for everyone, no matter the race, gender, or age, to have equal opportunities to prove themselves and make a good living. Being a white girl may help someone avoid some injustices, but not all. Any parent is going to hope that their child gets the best positive experience as possible. 

15 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I don't think this is correct. Affirmative action would benefit people of color more than white women. That being said, sexism doesn't necessarily respect your parents' income, or even your own accomplishments. It may not be as obvious as racism in the workplace, but it still exists regardless of the woman's race or age. 

The ideal is for everyone, no matter the race, gender, or age, to have equal opportunities to prove themselves and make a good living. Being a white girl may help someone avoid some injustices, but not all. Any parent is going to hope that their child gets the best positive experience as possible. 

I agree.  Affirmative action is not going to benefit Sara’s daughter at all.

Edited by Axie
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, Axie said:

I agree.  Affirmative action is not going to benefit Sara’s daughter at all.

Depends.. many of the “affirmative action” policies particularly those of the 70s -90s included women along with minorities.   There’s been studies supporting the notion of white women benefiting the most from affirmative action policies.   

I understood why Sara tried to compare it to sexism since it was more relatable to her, but she’s still missing the point.   The patriarchy exists.  But school curriculums have changed over time to encourage gender equality with very little pushback.  Textbooks have changed, required readings have changed, efforts have been increased to get girls involved in STEM. This is the anology she should be trying to see when it comes teaching about race in America.  

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I don't think this is correct. Affirmative action would benefit people of color more than white women.

Here is a story that supports Real Housewife's assertion  that affirmative action benefits white women more than minorities. I am also including a link to the paper that is the source for the article.

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/article_c8732135-4f73-5ca2-b8be-2611797730d8.html

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oiVHM23qBQLEOX4NPmxF9AEYNus3oUvz/view

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Here is a story that supports Real Housewife's assertion  that affirmative action benefits white women more than minorities. I am also including a link to the paper that is the source for the article.

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/article_c8732135-4f73-5ca2-b8be-2611797730d8.html

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oiVHM23qBQLEOX4NPmxF9AEYNus3oUvz/view

I'll read these articles.  My personal lived experience is that affirmative action did not benefit me as a woman who was considered white, despite my Mexican heritage, (at least at the time - 1970s+), as compared to my peers who were black or belonging to other minority groups when it came to acceptance to university or obtaining jobs. I always expected that my skills and experience would be the deciding factor whether I was chosen, but I know for a fact in some instances that wasn't the case. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I'll read these articles.  My personal lived experience is that affirmative action did not benefit me as a woman who was considered white, despite my Mexican heritage, (at least at the time - 1970s+), as compared to my peers who were black or belonging to other minority groups when it came to acceptance to university or obtaining jobs. I always expected that my skills and experience would be the deciding factor whether I was chosen, but I know for a fact in some instances that wasn't the case. 

That’s been on experience as well when working for the federal government in the 2000s.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Gravity Check said:

On topic -- due to Biden's speech, I missed Whoopi talking about congeniality with colleagues, and I would have loved to have heard her sip that tea!

If you haven't seen it yet. Beginning of the clip.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

I didn't mind her either. But let's face it, the panel isn't going to like anyone who doesn't agree with them 100% of the time.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Haleth said:

I was okay with Tafoya until she did that thing where she says she's going to intentionally push back on something Whoopi said then "joked" about how now everyone hates her. It rubbed me the wrong way because it implied that reasonable debate and disagreement is proof that the ladies can't handle differing opinions.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Vanderboom said:

I was okay with Tafoya until she did that thing where she says she's going to intentionally push back on something Whoopi said then "joked" about how now everyone hates her. It rubbed me the wrong way because it implied that reasonable debate and disagreement is proof that the ladies can't handle differing opinions.

I think she was referring to the warning Whoopi gave her at the start how appearing on the View tends to create a lot of hatred on SM.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

I didn't mind her either. But let's face it, the panel isn't going to like anyone who doesn't agree with them 100% of the time.

This isn’t true. There have been times when Sara and Sunny have disagreed; when Ana and others have disagreed. Whoopi disagreeing with Sara or Sunny.

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

There have been times when Sara and Sunny have disagreed;

Like yesterday, when Sunny said "nice dodge, Sara and Michelle'!

You gotta love Sara.  Even after Sunny explains what CRT is, and quotes the Secretary of Education and says there is absolutely no CRT being taught in K-12, Sara still has to cook up an elaborate analogy (using sexism in lieu of racism) to say she's against teaching CRT even though it isn't being taught.  There was once a poster in this thread who kept on referring to Sara as vapid.  That kind of took a back seat upon the arrival of SWMNBM.  Now that she's gone, the vapidity is re-emerging.

• Love 6