Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Altar-ed State of Mind

• Start Topic

Karen and Ray prepare to say "I do" again; Robyn brings up issues from the past; Gizelle reveals a well-kept secret; Juan's attempts to broker peace between Michael Darby and Chris Bassett goes off the rails.

Airdate: 10.31.2021

GIZELLE reveals a secret?  NOOOOO!  That's so unlike her.

• LOL 4

Ashley:  “Robyn and Juan, have you guys discussed X important aspect before committing to another child?”

*Robyn and Juan shake heads no

Ashley: how about this and that other important thing(s) to discuss?

*Robyn and Juan: uh... nooo...nope ( while shaking heads)

😕

• Love 12

paraphrase—
Robyn:  “Juan, hopefully when we have another baby things won’t be bad between us like with the first two.

Juan:  How dare you! Take this Mic off!

Robyn: Juan! don’t leave me!

Juan: I may have been a cheating slut while you bore and raised our kids the first few years but you didn’t do things u should have that I wanted but likely never communicatedto you.  Meanwhile hey bitch look out I’m rolling up the electric window and don’t care if I cut off your fucking hand!

Robyn:  it’s not that big of a deal!  Where are you going? Come back Juan!

Edited by JonnieUniteUs
  • LOL 6
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, Axie said:

I can’t stand Wendy.  So, in light of the vow renewal, I’m guessing Karen’s storyline next season will be about her divorce.

People keep saying this and I guess it's because of the tradition of couples on these shows renewing their vows and getting divorced soon after.

But correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this the second time Karen and Ray are renewing their vows? Wasn't that the point of the Indian themed celebration thing they had where they had that truly awkward and uncomfortable makeout session?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

Macy Grey’s new song “Sugar Baby”

The producers note, released in 2001.

I love Macy Grey but that was funny

Michael saying to Ashley “you’re beautiful you’re the whole package”. His internal dialogue finished “but you don’t have a package”

• LOL 14
  • Love 6

It's creepy how obsessed Michael is with Juan. Plus why Chris wants to extend any type of grace to the Darbys, especially Michael is beyond me. Michael demanding an apology was him using his white privilege. Chris who says he's aware of his own privilege should have paid Michael dust.

Is a song considered new if it was released in 2001? Just curious. 

Edited by spunky
  • Love 12

Michael feeling all kinds of frisky with Ashley with a little help from a Juan hug.

what the ever living fuschia hell was Wendy wearing?

Robyn - please fix your hair, it’s not doing your beautiful face favors.

I thought Gizelle  looked nice at the renewal.

• Love 12

Juan really can get away with acting like a jerk to Robyn because she keeps on taking it.  I don’t think he’s a horrible guy but they obviously have long standing issues that have never been addressed.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Ss55 said:

Did we see Karen’s second dress? The first one wasn’t great and I really didn’t pay any attention to the ceremony.

I only saw the top of it.  It was very disco ball.

• LOL 2
53 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Gizz and Robyn have really burrowed themselves into Wendy’s head.

Exactly.  Wendy is very pressed about Gizelle and Robyn (much like Karen is).  They weren't even thinking about Wendy until somebody (Ashley?) brought Wendy up.

Chris should have gotten up from the table when Candiace did after the "white privilege" remark.  Chris didn't get it (and a lot of the viewers* were like OMG Candiace is married to a white man, how dare she say anything about white privilege?)  It's the height of white privilege that Michael

• can grab other cast members's butts
  • can grab production members' butts
  • can leer down and physically intimidate the cast (reunion 3 or 4)
  • can charge at cast members (Gizelle and/or Candiace at a reunion)
  • charge the producers and demand they hand over footage from the fight he provoked at Robyn's party

and still be allowed to film with the rest of the cast.  Yet we heard Chris Samuels charged the cast at the reunion and it was a different story from the same people clutching their pearls over Candiace saying "this is the whitest privilege."

27 minutes ago, spunky said:

Plus why Chris wants to extend any type of grace to the Darbys, especially Michael. Michael demanding an apology was him using his white privilege. Chris who says he's aware of his own privilege should have paid Michael dust.

Right, Darby & his wife have called Chris and his wife criminals, low class, Michael was sitting at the table shading Chris as "unintelligent" but Chris wants to be part of the Get Along Gang and get along with Michael & Ashley and wants Candiace to let bygones be bygones.  Sir, Ashley provoked your wife in your house to an argument, then turned around and used that situation to get the cast member that beat your wife's ass out of legal consequences.  Put the drank down and truly support your wife.  Because right now, crawling up Michael & Ashley's asses is the whitest privilege.

*A lot of the cast members and viewers are using Candiace for their storylines, clicks and views.  Candiace needs to know that and respond accordingly.  Apparently Gizelle fires shots at Candiace at the reunion and has been running around on interviews calling Candiace "broke" etc.  Gizelle is going to use Candiace as her storyline next season because she's got nothing else going on and quite frankly Gizelle, Robyn and Ashley could've been edited out of this entire season and it would have rolled along because it was pretty much the Candiace & Mia show (with an assist from Wendy).  See this, and starve the beast of its' dinner.

16 minutes ago, Ss55 said:

Juan really can get away with acting like a jerk to Robyn because she keeps on taking it.

I don't think Juan is being a jerk. Robyn brings up his transgressions from the past in front of other people and he feels it makes him look bad.  Juan's a cheater, Juan didn't help with the kids etc.  But she's also not saying what she did during those times (not that she did anything to make Juan cheat on her).  Her more immediate concern is that Juan is not hands on with the children as far as caretaking of them.  He wasn't when they were babies and he's not now.  So Robyn does have a valid concern that she would be stuck caretaking this baby by herself while Juan is off with the team or wherever.  So she needs to voice her concerns in the present day: "Juan, you were awake and woke me up to get the boys up and ready for school when you could have done that yourself. So my concern is I will be asleep, you will be awake, the baby will need to be changed and instead of changing the baby yourself you will wake me up to change the baby.  Can you assure me you will be an equal participant in the caretaking of the baby this time around?"

No one wants to be constantly reminded of what they did wrong back in the day.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 11

Robyn needs to cut her losses with Juan. He's clearly not invested enough to even try to work on the issues that make her feel anxious about their relationship and most of the time it looks like he barely tolerates her presence. It's better to be alone with yourself than be alone when you're next to someone who's supposed to be with you. She's always going to be lonely in that relationship.

I really wish that the producer, in response to Gizelle's repeated "none of your business," had reminded her that when you participate in a reality show about your life, then the details of your life become the producer's business. You don't want it to be anyone's business? Leave the show.

Michael Darby can go ahead and drop off the face of the earth any time now.

• Love 23
13 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

Exactly.  Wendy is very pressed about Gizelle and Robyn (much like Karen is).  They weren't even thinking about Wendy until somebody (Ashley?) brought Wendy up.

Chris should have gotten up from the table when Candiace did after the "white privilege" remark.  Chris didn't get it (and a lot of the viewers* were like OMG Candiace is married to a white man, how dare she say anything about white privilege?)  It's the height of white privilege that Michael

• can grab other cast members's butts
  • can grab production members' butts
  • can leer down and physically intimidate the cast (reunion 3 or 4)
  • can charge at cast members (Gizelle and/or Candiace at a reunion)
  • charge the producers and demand they hand over footage from the fight he provoked at Robyn's party

and still be allowed to film with the rest of the cast.  Yet we heard Chris Samuels charged the cast at the reunion and it was a different story from the same people clutching their pearls over Candiace saying "this is the whitest privilege."

Right, Darby & his wife have called Chris and his wife criminals, low class, Michael was sitting at the table shading Chris as "unintelligent" but Chris wants to be part of the Get Along Gang and get along with Michael & Ashley and wants Candiace to let bygones be bygones.  Sir, Ashley provoked your wife in your house to an argument, then turned around and used that situation to get the cast member that beat your wife's ass out of legal consequences.  Put the drank down and truly support your wife.  Because right now, crawling up Michael & Ashley's asses is the whitest privilege.

*A lot of the cast members and viewers are using Candiace for their storylines, clicks and views.  Candiace needs to know that and respond accordingly.  Apparently Gizelle fires shots at Candiace at the reunion and has been running around on interviews calling Candiace "broke" etc.  Gizelle is going to use Candiace as her storyline next season because she's got nothing else going on and quite frankly Gizelle, Robyn and Ashley could've been edited out of this entire season and it would have rolled along because it was pretty much the Candiace & Mia show (with an assist from Wendy).  See this, and starve the beast of its' dinner.

I don't think Juan is being a jerk. Robyn brings up his transgressions from the past in front of other people and he feels it makes him look bad.  Juan's a cheater, Juan didn't help with the kids etc.  But she's also not saying what she did during those times (not that she did anything to make Juan cheat on her).  Her more immediate concern is that Juan is not hands on with the children as far as caretaking of them.  He wasn't when they were babies and he's not now.  So Robyn does have a valid concern that she would be stuck caretaking this baby by herself while Juan is off with the team or wherever.  So she needs to voice her concerns in the present day: "Juan, you were awake and woke me up to get the boys up and ready for school when you could have done that yourself. So my concern is I will be asleep, you will be awake, the baby will need to be changed and instead of changing the baby yourself you will wake me up to change the baby.  Can you assure me you will be an equal participant in the caretaking of the baby this time around?"

No one wants to be constantly reminded of what they did wrong back in the day.

Good luck to Gizelle with using Candiace as her storyline.  Candiace said on numerous occasions, that she doesn't respond to Gizelle because she's messy and  she's meeting her where she's at. Chris said in an interview last week that Candiace is beginning to see who her friends truly are on the cast. Candiace also said in her Bossip interview and on the Real that Chris becomes frustrated because he knows that the women use her to have a moment, and she's starting to see what he's talking about. 

Edited by spunky
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Steph J said:

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Robyn's going on the evidence she has from their past experience and Juan's shut down reaction to the topic doesn't suggest that it would be different if they tried it again. Why would any woman want to have a baby with a man whose reaction to being asked if he's going to help take care of the baby is to literally run away?

If Robyn is going to continue to berate Juan over what he did 13 years ago, she needs to let him go.  Nobody wants to hear what they did wrong 13 years ago.  It's demoralizing. Robyn knows Juan is not hands on with children.  If she knows Juan isn't hands on with children, instead of bringing up what he didn't do 13 years ago, she needs to decide this:

Juan's not going to help me with this new baby either.  I'm getting old and won't have as much energy for a baby as I did when I was younger.  Therefore I am not going to have another baby.

or

Juan's not going to help me with this new baby.  I have resolved I will take care of this baby by myself like I did with the first two and I will not bring it up to Juan any more ever again.

At any rate, what you don't do is bring up your partner's shortcomings in public in front of other people.  Both Chris & Robyn do that and it's not cool.

• Love 8

Gizelle was on the money saying that Michael only agreed to squash that beef with Chris, to get that hug from his true love Juan.

While Candiace is undoubtedly not my fave and I respect Chris wanting to keep the peace, she was not wrong in her comments about Michael.

For all the messy gross shit Michael has done on this show and the times he’s talked shit about many of the cast members, yet it’s always just water under the bridge. Yet supposedly he requires some big apology from Chris from the so very staged situation he created to try and get something on Chris and Candiace. Chris barely touched Michael.’

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

If Robyn is going to continue to berate Juan over what he did 13 years ago, she needs to let him go.  Nobody wants to hear what they did wrong 13 years ago.  It's demoralizing. Robyn knows Juan is not hands on with children.  If she knows Juan isn't hands on with children, instead of bringing up what he didn't do 13 years ago, she needs to decide this:

Juan's not going to help me with this new baby either.  I'm getting old and won't have as much energy for a baby as I did when I was younger.  Therefore I am not going to have another baby.

or

Juan's not going to help me with this new baby.  I have resolved I will take care of this baby by myself like I did with the first two and I will not bring it up to Juan any more ever again.

At any rate, what you don't do is bring up your partner's shortcomings in public in front of other people.  Both Chris & Robyn do that and it's not cool.

I honestly think she only brings it up on camera because she doesn’t have much else to talk about. I agree with you that she shouldn’t discuss those things in public/on camera, but Juan also got on her about not getting up with the kids for school - calling it unattractive - on camera. She didn’t stomp off in anger, but owned it. They both need to have these discussions elsewhere.

• Love 21

When Juan was making his exit and walking towards his car, did he say, “don’t be a dick head, Robyn?”  He may see her as his buddy but I’m not sure calling the mother of your children dick head is a term of endearment.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ss55 said:

Juan really can get away with acting like a jerk to Robyn because she keeps on taking it.  I don’t think he’s a horrible guy but they obviously have long standing issues that have never been addressed.

He seems pretty horrible to her.

‘but yes, she takes it.  Many do. Many have been broken down by that shit.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, spunky said:

Good luck to Gizelle with using Candiace as her storyline.  Candiace said on numerous occasions, that she doesn't respond to Gizelle because she's messy and  she's meeting her where she's at. Chris said in an interview last week that Candiace is beginning to see who her friends truly are on the cast. Candiace also said in her Bossip interview and on the Real that Chris becomes frustrated because he knows that the women use her to have a moment, and she's starting to see what he's talking about. 

I hope that she is starting to see this.  Particularly with Ashley, who doesn't have anything else going on in life.  She pokes at Candace and when Candace responds Ashley immediately proclaims herself a wronged victim.  

While I did not agree with Chris pulling Candiace away from the dinner table with Ashley, I had a feeling that he, in his heart, thought he was protecting her because Ashley has nothing to lose and Candace is an easy way for her to be a sympathetic victim because Candace is so much smarter and quicker than Ashley.  Hell, even mentally unstable Katie got a few over on Ashley.  

Just now, JonnieUniteUs said:

He seems pretty horrible to her.

‘but yes, she takes it.  Many do. Many have been broken down by that shit.

This is the real danger of having someone like Gizelle in your ear, as Robyn does.  

She has, like gizelle, learned that whatever shit a man does, its somehow a woman's fault.  All she needs to do is change herself and he will be better.  

If the man stays shitty, its because the woman hasn't worked hard enough or done enough work.  

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, Axie said:

When Juan was making his exit and walking towards his car, did he say, “don’t be a dick head, Robyn?”  He may see her as his buddy but I’m not sure calling the mother of your children dick head is a term of endearment.

I thought he said something that meant, "you're making me out to be a dickhead"

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, GreenlinetoHarlem said:

I thought he said something that meant, "you're making me out to be a dickhead"

Thanks!  I really wasn’t sure what he said.  But, he’s doing fine making himself look like a dickhead.  He doesn’t need her help with that.

• Love 13

I saw my former favorite Bridget in this episode, Karen's sister. She is one that can get Karen all the way together. I would love to see her back on the show again. 

I'll be in the minority and say that I sort of understood where Juan was coming from when he talked about it always being what Juan did and not what Robyn didn't do. Even if Juan was in the wrong most/all of the time, they still made a commitment to come together and give it another shot. As such, they both should be free to be open with each other about what they wanted and lacked from the other person in the past, without assigning blame to each other for their past behavior. If Robyn can say it, Juan should feel free to do the same. I think he is probably comfortable with having that conversation, but he definitely doesn't want to do it on camera. I know she is on a reality show, but he is essentially an accessory to her storyline and doesn't want to continue to be "the story". They worked through their issues on the show and ended things with a re-proposal. Maybe he wants to leave it at that. Also he works at the university, and may just want to keep some things private and not material for a reality show that will live on. Maybe the mandate from the producers was to talk about the baby thing again, but she clearly did not tell him because he went off. If he knew beforehand, he would be prepared with better answers. I don't know, the way he responded makes me think she didn't have these conversations with him prior to the arrival of the cameras because again, he would have been better prepared with answers. 

• Love 8

I despise Michael Darby. He is absolutely disgusting. Him looking down on Chris is pretty funny. At least Chris isn’t a predatory pig who sexually assaults ppl.

Robyn and Juan talking about a baby is stupid. Like why? Juan kind of made himself look like a dickhead with how he reacted lol.

Wtf with Wendy’s dress. How ridiculous.

Gizelle calls out everyone’s life but she just expects to hide everything.

Makes me think way less of Juan that he he actually reciprocates Michaels bs.

Macy Gray seemed like she was fucked up lol.

Michaels smug smirk is disgusting. I feel ill looking at his stupid fucking face. Candiace was right about him.

Who was the blonde person at the end of the previews. It was hyped up lol but I don’t recognize the person at all.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, Marley said:

I despise Michael Darby. He is absolutely disgusting. Him looking down on 

Macy Gray always seems f’d  up to me.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6

I saw an antidote about a woman realizing her husband didn't like her. When she shopped for food, she bought the cookies she liked and the cookies her husband liked. Every single time. One day he did the shopping and only bought the cookies he liked. I wonder what cookies Jamal, Michael and Juan would bring back from the store.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, Marley said:

I despise Michael Darby. He is absolutely disgusting. Him looking down on Chris is pretty funny. At least Chris isn’t a predatory pig who sexually assaults ppl.

Robyn and Juan talking about a baby is stupid. Like why? Juan kind of made himself look like a dickhead with how he reacted lol.

Wtf with Wendy’s dress. How ridiculous.

Gizelle calls out everyone’s life but she just expects to hide everything.

Makes me think way less of Juan that he he actually reciprocates Michaels bs.

Michaels smug smirk is disgusting. I feel ill looking at his stupid fucking face. Candiace was right about him.

Who was the blonde person at the end of the previews. It was hyped up lol but I don’t recognize the person at all.

Juan came from having nothing.  Even after he thought he "made it" and could be on cruise control, his friend pulled the rug out from under him and stole his money and he was broke again but with two children. 

If I put myself in Juan's shoes, I could see how it could seem like a good idea to entertain a millionaire who has a not so secret crush on you.  If he had to choose, I think Michael would willingly give money to Juan to keep their connection over giving it to Ashley.  

6 minutes ago, Boofish said:

I saw an antidote about a woman realizing her husband didn't like her. When she shopped for food, she bought the cookies she liked and the cookies her husband liked. Every single time. One day he did the shopping and only bought the cookies he liked. I wonder what cookies Jamal, Michael and Juan would bring back from the store.

Michael would be shopping in the produce section.  

For a slightly browned banana named Juan.  

• LOL 19
  • Love 2

All this talk about cookies is making me hungry! @Boofish is correct about Michael buying the cookies Juan likes. Except I don't even think he'd bother taking the cookies home to Ashley. Robyn's gonna be rubbing sleep out her eyes at midnight wondering what Papa Croc is doing at her door.

Robyn and Juan's relationship has such a dude/bro vibe. Seriously, Juan is softer and more open with Michael Darby than he is with the mother of his children. I keep expecting Juan to slap Robyn on the back and tell her to "Buck up. Get over it. Be a man!" I'll be so shocked if a re-marriage takes place. I definitely don't see another child being born of their union. Juan's counting down the hours until their youngest won't need child support. Then he'll truly be free. After that, he may decide to continue their roommate situation or move on.

I wish Chris would crawl all the way out of Michael's ass. That old pervert can do whatever he wants and get away with it. Chris should be smart enough to see that and support his wife. What's Chris's end game? To keep him and Candiace on the show? They don't need to pretend to make up with the Darbys for that to happen. Ain't barely a show without Candiace anyway (as many of y'all have pointed out).

I hate how much I love to hate Dot. She stays doing too much. OF COURSE people mistake her and Candiace for sisters all the time. Yep. That sounds about right. DOT should be holding a champagne glass -- not her daughter.

Edited by eXiled
  • Love 13

I really could live without the Darby’s. I find Michael so unattractive, I’m surprised Ashley still fakes it. 
I understand where Juan is coming from. He doesn’t want Robyn to discuss his old ways on camera. Robyn however doesn’t have much else going on for a story. Her and Gizelle may need to fake a fight. 
I think Dorothy would make a great cast member. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Chatty Cake said:

I really could live without the Darby’s. I find Michael so unattractive, I’m surprised Ashley still fakes it. 
I understand where Juan is coming from. He doesn’t want Robyn to discuss his old ways on camera. Robyn however doesn’t have much else going on for a story. Her and Gizelle may need to fake a fight. 
I think Dorothy would make a great cast member. 

I maintain that if they couldn't get the wedding to happen on camera that Gizelle and Robyn would agree behind the scenes to have a season where they don't get along to potentially save Robyn's flute. Karen, Gizelle, and Ashley continue to earn their OG season 7 salary increase. They may want Robyn to step up a bit with a wedding/Juan interaction. If she can't give them that then it will be something else. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, RealReality said:

I hope that she is starting to see this.  Particularly with Ashley, who doesn't have anything else going on in life.  She pokes at Candace and when Candace responds Ashley immediately proclaims herself a wronged victim.  

While I did not agree with Chris pulling Candiace away from the dinner table with Ashley, I had a feeling that he, in his heart, thought he was protecting her because Ashley has nothing to lose and Candace is an easy way for her to be a sympathetic victim because Candace is so much smarter and quicker than Ashley.  Hell, even mentally unstable Katie got a few over on Ashley.  

This is the real danger of having someone like Gizelle in your ear, as Robyn does.  

She has, like gizelle, learned that whatever shit a man does, its somehow a woman's fault.  All she needs to do is change herself and he will be better.  

If the man stays shitty, its because the woman hasn't worked hard enough or done enough work.  

During his YouTube interview,  he admitted that he handled the situation poorly.  He saw that Ashley was searching for a moment and was trying to stop Candiace from giving it to her. Last week Candiace,  Gizelle and Ashley went out to dinner, I was shocked.  I hope she's playing the reality show game with those two.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4