Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Altar-ed State of Mind

• Start Topic

We're all memorable and funny.  The first two were directly to Ashley and she had nothing to respond to  for either of them.  

Memorable in how basic they were. It's like responding to a 5 year old insulting you.

Wide bodied, while mean was memorable

That was more bitchy than a read.

• Love 6

Once, Robyn said their money problems humbled Juan. If this is the humble Juan, I would never want to meet the young and rich NBA player Juan!

Dude just want a girl, like Robyn can decide the gender of their kid or like he is going to help her in any way. A grown ass man throwing tantrums like toddlers.

Edited by JoSafe
  • Love 13
21 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Who was Gizelle dating??

Nobody.

20 hours ago, LaurelleJ said:

There's a difference between wanting a man and needing a man. Robyn and Gizelle don't need a man, but they want one

I don't think Robyn wants a man.  She wants Juan and that's all she wants.  If Juan dumped her or disappeared today, Robyn would not be with anyone else.  But Juan's not going anywhere, for whatever reasons people want to speculate on.  Juan's not going anywhere, Robyn's not going anywhere, they know it, we know it and that's why there's no urgency to their relationship.  Women who see value in themselves and others based on being wanted/chosen by a man see this lack of urgency and conclude Juan doesn't want Robyn, Robyn is pathetic.  Juan & Robyn have a 25 year partnership; he did all the wooing and urgency at the beginning of their relationship in the 90s.  He would feel no need to do the wooing & choosing of Robyn in 2021 because he already has her.  Ray wasn't even wooing & choosing Karen last year.

But see, Karen, Monique & Wendy and many women see the marriage certificate as tangible proof this man wants you.  No marriage certificate, he don't really want you.  They also see the marriage certificate as insurance in case the marriage doesn't work out; the marriage certificate entitles them to benefits they wouldn't receive if they hadn't been married.

Monique & Karen needed the marriage certificate as proof of selection & benefits because they both came into their marriages with a lot less than what their husbands had.  Robyn needed it when she married Juan years ago because he made a lot more money than she.  Robyn doesn't need it in 2021 because she is probably the main bread winner at this point.  The new house is in her name only.  Her Bravo/hat line/personal appearance income is probably more than what Juan makes. 

I don't think Gizelle wants a man either.  Wanting a man puts you in the dependent/subservient position, waiting to be chosen and Gizelle doesn't want to be in that position.  She does not want to be financially or emotionally dependent on any man because of what happened with her and Jamal and her parents' divorce. She likes being desired and fawned over by men but to have to open up and be vulnerable to one? And risk being hurt like she was with Jamal? No, she emotionally can't afford to do that.  Note, storyline or not, she didn't start back up with Jamal until after he moved away from Maryland*.

Gizelle wants the image of having been chosen but she doesn't actually want to be chosen. The other women think she wants to be chosen (because who doesn't want to be chosen?).  Gizelle wants the appearance of being chosen.  The other women pick up on this "desire" to be chosen (really, the desire to be seen as being chosen) as the reason why she's coming for their marriages.

She is not "coming for their marriages" because she wants what they have; she does not.  IMO she comes for their marriages because they come for her with the attitude of "She may have the looks, but she is miserable because I have what she desperately wants: to be chosen by a man."

She has the energy of "If you feel you're more worthy than me because you have a man/marriage, let me show you how worthy you really are by exposing your fake/messed up situation."

3 hours ago, amarante said:

Karen's bizarre wedding venue was no doubt free which was why it was chosen. Certainly no one would have specifically chosen that kind of space when there are so many options that don't look like an industrial park.

Karen should've tried to broker a deal with Salamander Resort instead of that industrial park but Sheila Johnson probably wants no parts of RHOP.

48 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Wide bodied, while mean was memorable and clearly cut deep since Ashley is still whining about it.  

"Wide bodied" hurt Ashley to the core because she's spent the past several months wearing skimpy clothing and dancing half naked on IG to prove she is NOT wide bodied (but she is and there's nothing she can do about that).

"Handsome/big foot" hurt Mia to the core much more than "yo momma" because Mia has spent all her time on social media crying about being called "handsome" and how that's transphobic and Candiace needs to be fired instead of crying about her momma being called low budget.

*I think Gizelle was fine with Jamal dating other women, she probably even knew about the other woman.  Monique, Karen & Wendy get their worth from being chosen, so it was very delicious to see Jamal didn't choose Gizelle to be his one and only.  What wasn't fine to Gizelle was having this arrangement brought to national television by Monique.  I think the other woman was pissed because she knew if Jamal wanted/needed a First Lady of New Birth he would've made Gizelle the First Lady again and not her because Gizelle is a better look for his image than her.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Let's talk about that wedding, why would Karen agree to walk upstairs to do the ceremony, she could have just walked up a few steps and everyone would actually be able to have seen the ceremony.  Will this be the kiss of death for Karen and Ray, HW's have a tradition of vow renewals and divorces, who would do it knowing it could and mostly has lead to divorce?

The only “successful” vow renewal I can think of on the RH shows was RHOBH - Lisa and Ken. Maybe its’s because Ken pushed to have the renewal, not Lisa.

This might be a statistical outlier.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

The only “successful” vow renewal I can think of on the RH shows was RHOBH - Lisa and Ken. Maybe its’s because Ken pushed to have the renewal, not Lisa.

This might be a statistical outlier.

Do "normal" people actually have lavish vow renewals? I ask because I don't know of any.

The closest was an aunt who got married in a civil ceremony and then had a 50th wedding anniversary where she wore a white bridal gown. I didn't go but my mother thought it was the height of stupidity that a grown woman would spend money on something like that - my parents were married 60 years but my mother wasn't a romantic to say the least. 😂

• Love 5
On 10/31/2021 at 8:43 PM, Steph J said:

Robyn needs to cut her losses with Juan. He's clearly not invested enough to even try to work on the issues that make her feel anxious about their relationship and most of the time it looks like he barely tolerates her presence. It's better to be alone with yourself than be alone when you're next to someone who's supposed to be with you. She's always going to be lonely in that relationship.

This.  

.he seems to have too much shame (perhaps disguised as indignation ) and inability to admit to fault for her to continue to have hope that he would be different.

of course, it’s possible Robyn rides his ass often off camera about this and he was exasperated, but if she did, wouldn’t they have come to some resolve regarding her concerns in the proposed new baby situation?

obviously, we don’t live in their house and it’s easy to play armchair quarterback, but him calling an Uber to leave the wedding without telling her and evidently leaving her there by herself was also telling as she seemed surprised.

Let him go.

As Hicks said to Vasquez:  “Forget him, he’s gone.”  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Karen should've tried to broker a deal with Salamander Resort instead of that industrial park but Sheila Johnson probably wants no parts of RHOP.

Oh my, the Salamander is fantastic but I doubt Sheila would want or need that sort of attention to her luxury property from a bunch of potential salad throwers in her beautiful rooms. 

Karen's venue really lacked curb appeal no matter how big the fake topiary outside the entrance is but the inside is not what I would have expected, it is glitzy and not very big so you can have a showy event for a small group, Karen wanted a wow factor and she got it.

• Love 6
On 11/1/2021 at 4:25 PM, RealReality said:

Michael is having a "personal trainer" in his home gym five days a week

He said the trainer is/was a World Champion bodybuilder.

‘I searched a little but did not find out a name.  Does anyone happen to know?

• Useful 3
On 11/1/2021 at 12:14 PM, Sheenieb said:

I was embarrassed for Wendy. Listen, I get that she spent good money on her tweaks, so she wants to show off the merchandise. But wearing a too small dress that's so tight you can't even get out of the car? I know she was in pain throughout the night. There's no way. I don't know how she danced in that thing. 

Juan is so immature. I understand feeling some kind of way if he's making changes, but Robyn still wants to focus on his shortcomings, but driving off when she expresses concern about doing all the grunt work is ridiculous. Not surprising, but ridiculous. 

Ashley's dress was way too short for the event. That was club wear. 

Wendy’s dress made her look pregnant… it was so tight.  She is ridiculous.

Can we get rid of Michael and Candy Ass?  I despise both of them.

Karen looked ridiculous in the wedding dress.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

Candiace is one of the most privileged brats on bravo. I hope both her and Ashley are fired after this season.

I actually like Ashley and Candiace, but Candiace would be more of a loss because the storylines pretty much revolve around her, if she were gone they'd be sitting around talking about.....breastfeeding? One or three wick candles? Gizelle clearly doesn't want to share her own life on the show, Robyn's life is boring and Juan wants no part of the show, Karen has funny moments but she isn't really setting the world on fire. Wendy? Pass! Who am I missing? Oh! Mia. Pass again. They need some fresh people on this show, keep Gizelle, Candiace, Mia (because a second season is pretty much necessary to know if they're good or not) and demote Robyn and Ashley because Gizelle needs some friends.

• Love 6

It seems like Robyn has a good thing going with these hats and she should focus on them (Call TJ MAXX and the other company that expressed interest ASAP girl!) instead of Juan.

Of course the show will show what it wants to show but it looks like he doesn’t seem to support her and could even be threatened by her possible success.  I’m not a psychologist/psychiatrist, but he checks some boxes where she should leave him behind.

MUCH easier said than done though as many know.☹️

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Countess said:

I actually like Ashley and Candiace, but Candiace would be more of a loss because the storylines pretty much revolve around her, if she were gone they'd be sitting around talking about.....breastfeeding? One or three wick candles? Gizelle clearly doesn't want to share her own life on the show, Robyn's life is boring and Juan wants no part of the show, Karen has funny moments but she isn't really setting the world on fire. Wendy? Pass! Who am I missing? Oh! Mia. Pass again. They need some fresh people on this show, keep Gizelle, Candiace, Mia (because a second season is pretty much necessary to know if they're good or not) and demote Robyn and Ashley because Gizelle needs some friends.

Gizelle is already attempting to set up her storyline for next season, which is beefing with Candiace.  She's calling Candiace broke in interviews while pretending to be supportive on Candiace's Instagram. Meanwhile Candiace was co-hosting E's Daily Pop and promoting her album in LA, while Gizelle was being shady.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, spunky said:

Gizelle is already attempting to set up her storyline for next season, which is beefing with Candiace.  She's calling Candiace broke in interviews while pretending to be supportive on Candiace's Instagram. Meanwhile Candiace was co-hosting E's Daily Pop and promoting her album in LA, while Gizelle was being shady.

If Candiace is broke, what is Gizelle? I'd love for her to let us all know!

• LOL 6
22 minutes ago, Countess said:

Right! She's been renovating her house for how long now? She needs to focus on her house and selling her lashes.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, Countess said:

See this is where the show within a show and the breaking of the 4th wall becomes problematic. Gizelle should be talking about hosting whatever that Chat show is and her (small) movie role, but as one involves her role as a Bravolebrity we're never going to hear about it. I'd love for the shows to cover things like them going to BravoCon, or other network related things, but there is this fake fiction that needs to be maintained that "they are just regular people" which really gets in the way for some.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/1/2021 at 10:59 AM, drivethroo said:

Robyn's not the one who wants the new baby.  Juan is.

Agree. Juan wants a baby, but I don't think Robyn does. She's doing the "I'll have another baby if you do xy and z". To be fair, he uses the wedding in the same way. Stall tactics and bargaining chips. JMO

• Love 2
On 10/31/2021 at 9:10 PM, drivethroo said:

If Robyn is going to continue to berate Juan over what he did 13 years ago, she needs to let him go.  Nobody wants to hear what they did wrong 13 years ago.  It's demoralizing. Robyn knows Juan is not hands on with children.  If she knows Juan isn't hands on with children, instead of bringing up what he didn't do 13 years ago, she needs to decide this:

Juan's not going to help me with this new baby either.  I'm getting old and won't have as much energy for a baby as I did when I was younger.  Therefore I am not going to have another baby.

or

Juan's not going to help me with this new baby.  I have resolved I will take care of this baby by myself like I did with the first two and I will not bring it up to Juan any more ever again.

At any rate, what you don't do is bring up your partner's shortcomings in public in front of other people.  Both Chris & Robyn do that and it's not cool.

I don't believe Robyn wants another child and I'm not sure Juan does either. I think they're in search of a storyline since the wedding is never going to happen. 

I understand her issues with Juan, but she isn't a saint either. Weren't there rumors about her relationship with the "friend" that ripped them off? 

Candiace needs to learn how to control her emotions, especially when she's angry. It's embarrassing how easily she pops off at people including her husband. And the same goes for her mouth. As Chris said just because she has a thought doesn't mean she needs to immediately verbalize it! 

I'm not sure about the color of the wig but otherwise, Gizelle looked lovely at the wedding. I thinks she's one of the prettiest HWs across the franchise. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

But are they broke? they make bank off this show and all their side hustles ... Gizelle is on two bravo shows so shes making money ...

I can believe that these folks are mortgaged to hilt, running up big credit card debt, spending more than they make, saving nothing. Not exactly broke, but cash poor and adding more debt all the time. It costs a lot to pretend your richer than you actually are!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Countess said:

I actually like Ashley and Candiace, but Candiace would be more of a loss because the storylines pretty much revolve around her, if she were gone they'd be sitting around talking about.....breastfeeding?

RHOP lowkey has been the Candiace show for 2 straight seasons and IMO that's the reason why Gizelle is coming for Candiace, why Mia picked a fight with Candiace and why Michael & Ashley picked fights with Candiace and Chris: picking a fight with Candiace = tv time.

I notice a lot of the social media accounts tweeting "I hate Candiace, she needs her ass beat" have very low follower numbers.  This tells me people are using her name for clicks and engagement.

BRAVO/RHOP would be very stupid to get rid of Candiace because she & Karen were really the only 2 who had something else other than the other cast members for a storyline.  No one is tuning in to see Ashley pump, Robyn sleep, Wendy prance around in tiny tops, Mia bark about being a BAWSE or wearing GOWNZ or Gizelle hobbling around a construction site.

3 hours ago, spunky said:

Gizelle is already attempting to set up her storyline for next season, which is beefing with Candiace.  She's calling Candiace broke in interviews while pretending to be supportive on Candiace's Instagram.

Gizelle's nerves got struck by Candiace's "yo momma is low budget" remark because Gizelle's mother is low budget.

Candiace (and Askale should she return) just need to keep it cute about being called "broke" because usually the ones flashing the most "materials" around are usually the brokest.  Gizelle better stop spending money on tacky fashions and save for a rainy day because the child support checks will be coming to an end in 3 years and RHOP won't be on forever.  She's in her 50s so the only gold she'll be able to dig will be from Ray's buddies from the Piccadilly.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

RHOP lowkey has been the Candiace show for 2 straight seasons and IMO that's the reason why Gizelle is coming for Candiace, why Mia picked a fight with Candiace and why Michael & Ashley picked fights with Candiace and Chris: picking a fight with Candiace = tv time.

I notice a lot of the social media accounts tweeting "I hate Candiace, she needs her ass beat" have very low follower numbers.  This tells me people are using her name for clicks and engagement.

BRAVO/RHOP would be very stupid to get rid of Candiace because she & Karen were really the only 2 who had something else other than the other cast members for a storyline.  No one is tuning in to see Ashley pump, Robyn sleep, Wendy prance around in tiny tops, Mia bark about being a BAWSE or wearing GOWNZ or Gizelle hobbling around a construction site.

Gizelle's nerves got struck by Candiace's "yo momma is low budget" remark because Gizelle's mother is low budget.

Candiace (and Askale should she return) just need to keep it cute about being called "broke" because usually the ones flashing the most "materials" around are usually the brokest.  Gizelle better stop spending money on tacky fashions and save for a rainy day because the child support checks will be coming to an end in 3 years and RHOP won't be on forever.  She's in her 50s so the only gold she'll be able to dig will be from Ray's buddies from the Piccadilly.

From her social media responses I think she's beginning to realize that the ladies are only using her for tv time, most likely because Chris pointed it out to her. 

People clown Candiace and Chris because they don't dress in designer everything or drive expensive cars. She's from a wealthy family and so is he. She's uncomfortable openly talking about money and married a man who is the same way. The rich stay rich by saving and investing.

Edited by spunky
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, spunky said:

From her social media responses I think she's beginning to realize that the ladies are only using her for tv time, most likely because Chris pointed it out to her. 

She needs to keep it cute with everyone like she kept it cute with Karen.

45 minutes ago, spunky said:

People clown Candiace and Chris because they don't dress in designer everything or drive expensive cars. She's from a wealthy family and so is he. She's uncomfortable openly talking about money and married a man who is the same way. The rich stay rich by saving and investing.

Gizelle probably thinks Candiace is broke because she probably doesn't make as much from BRAVO as her, Robyn, Karen & Ashley do.

But contracts can always be renegotiated.  RHOP has centered around Candiace for 2 seasons straight and the show is enjoying higher ratings because of it.  Maybe Gizelle is hearing through a little birdie that Candiace might be getting a pay raise and she don't like it.

She can't be calling Candiace "broke" from her appearance because the two brokest looking cast members are Robyn and Ashley.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

She needs to keep it cute with everyone like she kept it cute with Karen.

Gizelle probably thinks Candiace is broke because she probably doesn't make as much from BRAVO as her, Robyn, Karen & Ashley do.

But contracts can always be renegotiated.  RHOP has centered around Candiace for 2 seasons straight and the show is enjoying higher ratings because of it.  Maybe Gizelle is hearing through a little birdie that Candiace might be getting a pay raise and she don't like it.

She can't be calling Candiace "broke" from her appearance because the two brokest looking cast members are Robyn and Ashley.

I agree with everything you said. 

• Love 4

the reason why Gizelle is coming for Candiace, why Mia picked a fight with Candiace and why Michael & Ashley picked fights with Candiace and Chris: picking a fight with Candiace = tv time.

That or maybe she is an asshole that none of them are really fond of...

RHOP has centered around Candiace for 2 seasons straight and the show is enjoying higher ratings because of it. 

Sounds like most people seem to enjoy watching her get dragged on by most of the cast...

• Love 4
7 hours ago, spunky said:

Exactly. And a lot of rich people prefer to be private and not to show their wealth.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, spunky said:

Gizelle has endless nerve calling anyone broke while she lives in that disaster of a frankenhouse.  

Candace was accurate when she called gizelles house a $900,000 teardown.  

• Love 5
On 11/2/2021 at 12:21 PM, Hiyo said:

It's like responding to a 5 year old insulting you.

That was more bitchy than a read.

So Ashley isn't smarter than a fifth grader and isn't quick witted enough to keep up with a five year old. 

That's pretty on brand for Ashley.  

If you know  a 5 year old asking "were you there beloved?"  you may possibly be in a Benjamin Button situation. 

But your comment reminds me of this rupaul SNL sketch

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

So Ashley isn't smarter than a fifth grader and isn't quick witted enough to keep up with a five year old. 

Nah, when a 5 year-old calls you a poo poo head, you just smile, pat them on the head, and move on.

Candyass is basically a 5 year-old calling people a poo poo head. Not a fifth grader, mind you, but a 5 year year-old. Except she is shouting it half the time.

If you know  a 5 year old asking "were you there beloved?" 

I'm not the one placing 5 year olds in fifth grade...

you may possibly be in a Benjamin Button situation. 

No, I just know the difference between a literal and figurative example.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Exactly. And a lot of rich people prefer to be private and not to show their wealth.

Exactly! When Candiace said new money is so loud in reference to Mia and Gordon,  I was snickering. Only the people who aren't used to having money feel the need to announce how rich they are.

6 hours ago, RealReality said:

Gizelle has endless nerve calling anyone broke while she lives in that disaster of a frankenhouse.  

Candace was accurate when she called gizelles house a $900,000 teardown.  

And that's exactly what she should've done.  Tear that hot mess down and start over. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Nah, when a 5 year-old calls you a poo poo head, you just smile, pat them on the head, and move on.

Candyass is basically a 5 year-old calling people a poo poo head. Not a fifth grader, mind you, but a 5 year year-old. Except she is shouting it half the time.

I'm not the one placing 5 year olds in fifth grade...

No, I just know the difference between a literal and figurative example.

LOL.  Neither am I.  

There was a game show called "are you smarter than a fifth grader" which I was referencing.  

The show and accompanying jokes were/are pretty popular, so it's a little surprising that an adult wouldn't have gotten the reference.  

Candaces barbs arent particularly immature and they are well placed.  

Tyra Banks has joked about having a fivehead. 

Adult comedians do yo momma jokes. 

And I'm not sure which five year olds you're talking to who are calling people milkmaids. Literally or figuratively.   

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 4

Must not have been that popular or have a lasting impact. Definitely wasn't big outside of the US.

But seems like the right show for someone like Candyass. Be funny to see here daring those fifth graders to drag her ass.

• LOL 1
19 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Must not have been that popular or have a lasting impact. Definitely wasn't big outside of the US.

But seems like the right show for someone like Candyass. Be funny to see here daring those fifth graders to drag her ass.

LOL.  It ran four seasons on fox in prime time and it appears to have averaged 3 million + viewers.   The first season had about 11.5 million viewers.  It airs in syndication, so it may actually have found a foothold in other countries.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_Smarter_than_a_5th_Grader%3F_(American_game_show)

And it was popular enough to warrant a reboot on nickelodeon which also did well

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2019/06/12/nickelodeons-are-you-smarter-than-a-fifth-grader-makes-the-grade-scores-more-than-one-million-total-viewers-739114/20190612nickelodeon01/

I mean sure, maybe a major network just enjoyed burning money on an unpopular show for four seasons.....or......perhaps....just maybe.....you missed a popular cultural reference.  

I'm fairly certain the fifth graders were smart enough not to physically attack someone over words, especially when their job was on the line.  So I guess monique isn't as smart as a fifth grader either. 

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 3

Lots of show run on and on and on but never quite capture the cultural zeitgeist. That show was definitely one of them. And a show can still be not that popular and still earn a profit. This seems to be one of those shows.

It seems to have it's audience, but it's no Deal or No Deal.

I'm fairly certain the fifth graders were smart enough not to physically attack someone over words, especially when their job was on the line.  So I guess monique isn't as smart as a fifth grader either. 

Probably not, though that still doesn't make Candyass a mature quick witted member of Mensa either.

11 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Lots of show run on and on and on but never quite capture the cultural zeitgeist. That show was definitely one of them. And a show can still be not that popular and still earn a profit. This seems to be one of those shows.

Probably not, though that still doesn't make Candyass a mature quick witted member of Mensa either.

No one has to be a member of mensa to be quicker than Ashley Darby and/or Mia.  

IIRC, deal or no deal hasn't had a recent reboot nor did it spawn a popular celebrity version of the show.  

Like I said, just because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean it isn't a popular cultural reference.  

As for cultural references, here is SNL referencing are you smarter than a 5th grader in a skit 2 weeks ago.   

Here is "are you smarter than a 5th grader" on the tonight show with Jimmy Fallon

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 4
On 11/1/2021 at 1:06 AM, Boofish said:

Michael would bring back the cookies Juan likes 😂😂

@Boofish wins the internet.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:35 PM, Rlb8031 said:

See, the issue really is that Karen can continually point this out because both Gizelle and Robyn are low-key pressed about having a man. I'm sure the constant refrain is "But how can you be single, you're so pretty..." and neither of them wants to admit the answer. Gizelle is single because she's actually an emotionless vampire, and Robyn is single because she only wants one man and no one else will do. Trust and believe if a black woman was on this show that said "actually, I'm really happy being single and I'm not looking for a significant other of any stripe", that would shut this crap down.

We're gonna give you a pass today. Please take the podium as the representative for white people🙂

In Robyn's defense, she did say earlier this year that her ability to order additional inventory was limited by her storage space and that she had basically taken over her mom's office, but that only gave her enough space to fill orders as they came in. She needed to have the additional space to be able to keep a steady supply of inventory and not have items appear as "sold out" on her website.

Amen! Can we say it again for the folks in the back pew???

And Candiace doesn't appreciate it, as was seen from her basically telling him to stop "talking crazy" to her when all he was trying to do was explain his thinking. Candiace reeeeeaaaaalllly doesn't understand how lucky she is. Most dudes would throw up the duces and bounce.

Bingo!!

I would rather be single than with a shitty man.

Robyn is with a man that neither loves or respects her.

Gizelle pretended to be with a man who has constantly humiliated her and might have given her an STD.

Neither of these women represent confident and secure single laidies.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, qtpye said:

@Boofish wins the internet.

Bingo!!

I would rather be single than with a shitty man.

Robyn is with a man that neither loves or respects her.

Gizelle pretended to be with a man who has constantly humiliated her and might have given her an STD.

Neither of these women represent confident and secure single laidies.

Precisely.  And THIS was the Wendy read that got lost in translation. 

It wasn't "you ain't shit because you ain't got a man" it was more like "you call yourself a bad bitch and THIS is the man you put up with, THIS is what you're modeling for your daughters."  A bad bitch doesn't need a man so bad that she puts up with the likes of a toad like Jamal.  

Unfortunately Wendy's subsequent statements muddled the point. 

Calling Eddie a doppelganger for Idris Elba was personally offensive to me and saying that gizelles comment about wanting to get with Idris Elba was some coded message about wanting Eddie was ridiculous. 

And then constantly bringing up having Eddie's last name or whatever was dumb and totally obfuscated her original point.   

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Unfortunately Wendy's subsequent statements muddled the point. 

Calling Eddie a doppelganger for Idris Elba was personally offensive to me and saying that gizelles comment about wanting to get with Idris Elba was some coded message about wanting Eddie was ridiculous. 

And then constantly bringing up having Eddie's last name or whatever was dumb and totally obfuscated her original point.   

How you gon be offended by Wendy's tragically poor eyesight and/or delusion? She can't help that she's living in a totally different reality from yours.

If you think otherwise just watch her attempts to sell fifty-dollar candles without the proper platform, social media presence, or home goods/decor-maven reputation.

Wendy is desperately trying  to escape a career she believed would be stable and prestigious (and more importantly, would please her Mommy). She'd rather drop the books and drop it like it's hot out in these streets. That's why she can't see straight.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, eXiled said:

How you gon be offended by Wendy's tragically poor eyesight and/or delusion? She can't help that she's living in a totally different reality from yours.

If you think otherwise just watch her attempts to sell fifty-dollar candles without the proper platform, social media presence, or home goods/decor-maven reputation.

Wendy is desperately trying  to escape a career she believed would be stable and prestigious (and more importantly, would please her Mommy). She'd rather drop the books and drop it like it's hot out in these streets. That's why she can't see straight.

LOL.  Wendy and I both know that that she is not the type of doctor her mother wanted her to be.  Her sister is.  

I bet her mom was only happy after the professorship.  

$50 candles.....in a pandemic.....when they are literally selling Yankee candles in the clearance section at TJ Maxx for like $10.

I should see if someone reviewed her candles.   

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

IIRC, deal or no deal hasn't had a recent reboot nor did it spawn a popular celebrity version of the show.  

But it did have a bigger cultural impact, in the US and around the world.

just because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean it isn't a popular cultural reference.  

No, but just because you mentioned it, that doesn't mean it is a well know pop culture reference.

As for cultural references

There are dozens of skits on both shows, some more popular, some less. This show was one of the lesser ones. Good for a laugh for the type of audience it is aimed at, I suppose (all 6 million of them, shit even According to Jim got better ratings than that, which isn't saying much).

No one has to be a member of mensa to be quicker than Ashley Darby and/or Mia.  

Candyass included, it seems.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, RealReality said:

LOL.  Wendy and I both know that that she is not the type of doctor her mother wanted her to be.  Her sister is.  

I bet her mom was only happy after the professorship.  

$50 candles.....in a pandemic.....when they are literally selling Yankee candles in the clearance section at TJ Maxx for like $10.

I should see if someone reviewed her candles.   

YouTuber Alex Salter said he would review the candle soon. Candiace being a loving and supportive friend, bought 2 candles before they hit the market. She said they smell good.  

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

But it did have a bigger cultural impact, in the US and around the world.

No, but just because you mentioned it, that doesn't mean it is a well know pop culture reference.

There are dozens of skits on both shows, some more popular, some less. This show was one of the lesser ones. Good for a laugh for the type of audience it is aimed at, I suppose (all 6 million of them, shit even According to Jim got better ratings than that, which isn't saying much).

Candyass included, it seems.

Not sure how you could know the cultural impact since you didn't even know about the show. 

Are you under the impression that when you don't know about something that means it doesn't have a large cultural impact? 

And that's why I didn't just mention it but also provided multiple examples to prove the point. 

SNL parodies are almost always based on extremely popular and culturally relevant shows because if they are not then the audience won't at all get the joke.  Can you think of a show parodied on SNL that wasn't culturally relevant?  I truly cannot, but maybe you can think of a few? 

To me it seems like your proof that the show wasn't a culturally popular reference is because you haven't heard of it.  Which seems like an odd way to try to prove anything other than that YOU hadn't heard of it.     

I hadn't heard of bitcoin until last year, that doesn't mean it wasn't extremely popular.  It just means that I hadn't heard of it.  

As for candace, no, she isn't a mensa member, and I never said she was.  

However there is an extremely wide gulf between "smarter and faster than Ashley Darby" and mensa.  

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, spunky said:

YouTuber Alex Salter said he would review the candle soon. Candiace being a loving and supportive friend, bought 2 candles before they hit the market. She said they smell good.  

She is a good friend.  Especially if she actually purchased said candles. 

If I had a friend come at me with some small $50 candles I might wait for a sale!

Her fragrances sound good but not great.  By contrast, jo Malone candles also are super pricey but you're getting a complex fragrance profile from a master perfumier.

• Love 3

Not sure how you could know the cultural impact since you didn't even know about the show. 

Because if I did know about the show, that would probably mean it did have a cultural impact.

Are you under the impression that when you don't know about something that means it doesn't have a large cultural impact? 

Generally, yes. That's how cultural impacts work. Lots of people know about shows like Mad Men, or Breaking Bad, or Game of Thrones, even if they haven't seen those shows, because they were so big.

And that's why I didn't just mention it but also provided multiple examples to prove the point. 

2 examples, yay. If that isn't conclusive evidence...

SNL parodies are almost always based on extremely popular and culturally relevant shows because if they are not then the audience won't at all get the joke.  Can you think of a show parodied on SNL that wasn't culturally relevant?  I truly cannot, but maybe you can think of a few? 

Almost always being the key words. Who knows, maybe the particular writer of that skit was a fan of the show.

To me it seems like your proof that the show wasn't a culturally popular reference is because you haven't heard of it.  Which seems like an odd way to try to prove anything other than that YOU hadn't heard of it.     

Well, yes. Obviously the bigger something is, the more people have heard about it. People make pop culture references on these boards all the time, and I follow many boards on here, and this is literally the first and only time I've ever heard anyone make a reference to that show. Ever. On any board. And I follow dozens of boards.

I hadn't heard of bitcoin until last year, that doesn't mean it wasn't extremely popular.  It just means that I hadn't heard of it.  

Well, that's business, not pop culture. I heard of it, but then again, I also read business publications, so...

In any case, you seem a bit too defensive about defending a random game show that isn't waaaaaaay off topic to this particular show and episode. Maybe we can discuss it again if Candyass or one of the other HWs appears on it, or maybe on that show's actual topic forum, because this conversation is veering far too off topic as I said.

However there is an extremely wide gulf between "smarter and faster than Ashley Darby" and mensa.  

One Candyass is nowhere near crossing.

1 hour ago, RealReality said:

She is a good friend.  Especially if she actually purchased said candles. 

If I had a friend come at me with some small $50 candles I might wait for a sale!

Her fragrances sound good but not great.  By contrast, jo Malone candles also are super pricey but you're getting a complex fragrance profile from a master perfumier.

Askale is promoting both Wendy's and Karen's candles on her Instagram stories. 

Edited by spunky
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Did you mean Let's Make a Deal instead of Deal or No Deal?

I know of Let's Make a Deal, but Deal or No Deal?  What's that?  Was that the one with the lady who would insult the contestants?

Edited by dosodog
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Because if I did know about the show, that would probably mean it did have a cultural impact.

Generally, yes. That's how cultural impacts work. Lots of people know about shows like Mad Men, or Breaking Bad, or Game of Thrones, even if they haven't seen those shows, because they were so big.

2 examples, yay. If that isn't conclusive evidence...

Almost always being the key words. Who knows, maybe the particular writer of that skit was a fan of the show.

Well, yes. Obviously the bigger something is, the more people have heard about it. People make pop culture references on these boards all the time, and I follow many boards on here, and this is literally the first and only time I've ever heard anyone make a reference to that show. Ever. On any board. And I follow dozens of boards.

Well, that's business, not pop culture. I heard of it, but then again, I also read business publications, so...

In any case, you seem a bit too defensive about defending a random game show that isn't waaaaaaay off topic to this particular show and episode. Maybe we can discuss it again if Candyass or one of the other HWs appears on it, or maybe on that show's actual topic forum, because this conversation is veering far too off topic as I said.

One Candyass is nowhere near crossing.

LOL, yeah, I disagree with the notion that just because you don't know about something its not culturally relevant or prevalent. 

Its entirely possible that you simply do not know about everything that is culturally relevant, and this can be true even if you know about a lot of other things that are culturally relevant.  

Knowing about some culturally relevant things does not mean you know about all culturally relevant things.  

Can you think of a single show parody on SNL that wasn't about a culturally relevant show?  I have two examples, but you appear to have none.  

And while bitcoin is not a TV show, the point remains, that not hearing about something as a singular person does not mean that it is not culturally relevant or prevalent or well known by a wide majority of people.  It only means that you don't know about it.

To me, it seems far more defensive  to insist that something isn't culturally relevant when you're given evidence to the contrary.  

I would agree that Candace is quicker and smarter than Ashley/Mia and is not a mensa candidate.  LOL.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, dosodog said:

Did you mean Let's Make a Deal instead of Deal or No Deal?

I know of Let's Make a Deal, but Deal or No Deal?  What's that?  Was that the one with the lady who would insult the contestants?

LOL...girrrrrrrrrrrrl

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, spunky said:

Askale is promoting both Wendy's and Karen's candles on her Instagram stories. 

Does she have an opinion on 3 wick vs. 1 wick?

I was surprised that at least one of Wendy's candles sold out immediately.  its a fairly small candle and it just didn't sound that interesting so I'm not sure if she just isn't ordering a lot of stock?

But can you imagine the power of a storyline?  Robyn's caps and Wendy's candles may both be selling at the TJ Maxx.  

• Useful 2