Type keyword(s) to search

And Just Like That in the Media

• Start Topic

I listened to the podcast in which MPK talked about asking Corbett to lose weight for Aiden’s return, and I think he meant when Aiden came back in SATC as a less granola guy (to use Samantha ‘s term), co-owner of Steve’s bar. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Well, this is quite possibly The Take’s worst take since their infamous “Was Harry Potter really heroic” video.

All that crap about Miranda being “inspired to finally let go of their marriage”—what show are they watching?! Miranda let go of her marriage when she left Steve high and dry to go running after Che in LA! She was just acting like a brat because Steve dared to move on with his life.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 11

Article: And Just Like That costume designers on Kim Cattrall snub: 'Publicly insulting'

Podcast: BEHIND THE SCENES with COSTUME DESIGNERS MOLLY ROGERS & DANNY SANTIAGO

Sami: There's been lots of talk about Kim Cattrall coming back and Patricia Field dressing her for her one scene. Did you all collaborate on that look or was it just those guys working in private?

Molly: We weren't invited, which I found very rude on Kim's part. I find it an insult to my entire department. But if Kim's comfort level is with Pat, and they're really good friends, Danny and I weren't going to stand in the way of that. I just found it to be insulting publicly. You know, we're innocent crew people.

What are you doing to us? What have we got to do with whatever beef you have? You should be a very happy go lucky person, 'cause you got a pay check. You said you were never coming back. We were very happy that she was happy getting dressed with Pat, because we're all friends with Pat, but like she always says, she could have been nicer.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

This is a good article and it addresses something I've wondered about: Why don't the AJLT women discuss or deal with post-menopausal sex?
https://www.feministgiant.com/p/essay-hate-watching-and-just-like

Are they on HRT? You would think they'd talk about the risks. If not, why are they never dealing with bleeding, which can sometimes be copious, or more frequent UTIs? (Is that all just me?) They could do a really funny, sweet episode in which one of them deals with it all with their partner - maybe Harry and Charlotte? It says a lot about a relationship when it's dealt with with humor and closeness. (I know these gals are insanely wealthy so they never have to think about the cost of lubes.)

Given how much and how realistically they've talked to each other about sex in the past, why are they so silent on this?

Edited by JeanJean
added something
  • Like 6
  • Applause 3
4 hours ago, JeanJean said:

This is a good article and it addresses something I've wondered about: Why don't the AJLT women discuss or deal with post-menopausal sex?
https://www.feministgiant.com/p/essay-hate-watching-and-just-like

Are they on HRT? You would think they'd talk about the risks. If not, why are they never dealing with bleeding, which can sometimes be copious, or more frequent UTIs? (Is that all just me?) They could do a really funny, sweet episode in which one of them deals with it all with their partner - maybe Harry and Charlotte? It says a lot about a relationship when it's dealt with with humor and closeness. (I know these gals are insanely wealthy so they never have to think about the cost of lubes.)

Given how much and how realistically they've talked to each other about sex in the past, why are they so silent on this?

Because this the media refuses to let women play their age (which I’ve ranted about in the episode threads). The impacts of menopause on these characters lives is just a passing note. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, T Summer said:

I remember Miranda unpacking lube from an Amazon package...

Didn't she hand it to 17 year old  Brady's girlfriend Luissa in s1, IIRC?

And just like that, that is just a bridge to far.

Do any of these writers  typists have teens or know of parents with teens or met a teen? 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

On 8/19/2023 at 1:31 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Because this the media refuses to let women play their age (which I’ve ranted about in the episode threads). The impacts of menopause on these characters lives is just a passing note. 

The irony is that in the first season, they dressed the actresses in ways that unnecessarily aged them in the first season.

Miranda might not have looked bad in her new looks but then they totally made the character trash so no one cared.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, qtpye said:

The irony is that in the first season, they dressed the actresses in ways that unnecessarily aged them in the first season.

Miranda might not have looked bad in her new looks but then they totally made the character trash so no one cared.

I didn’t think the characters clothing aged them. The clothes have always been AMAZING (even in the reboot) and fashion wise I thought the choices were still in character, Charlotte dressed like Charlotte, just an older Charlotte. 

• Like 1

Che being the face of the renewal is annoying. 

I actually thought it would get renewed. I have a lot of problems with the show, and really wish the writers would do better, but I'm not hate watching. I still have enough residual fondness for the characters (mostly) to not hate it. And they seem to be repairing Miranda already, so if that trend continues, that's good. I realize many hate it because they were also fond of the characters and dislike where they've taken them in this venture. I get that. 

I'll still watch. 

• Like 11
1 hour ago, luna1122again said:

Che being the face of the renewal is annoying. 

So I wonder if Variety made the choice to use that pic or did HBOMax make that choice?  If they are trying to make Che the face of the series they are not doing themselves any favors.  Quit trying to make Che happen.

I will continue to watch but not because I hope things will get better.  But because I expect them to get worse.  I wonder if the next episode ends on a cliffhanger.  

• Like 6
On 8/22/2023 at 1:18 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I didn’t think the characters clothing aged them. The clothes have always been AMAZING (even in the reboot) and fashion wise I thought the choices were still in character, Charlotte dressed like Charlotte, just an older Charlotte. 

I am biased by my own experience.

I found Charlotte to be very pretty in the original show. I liked the way she dressed preppy but very much like a young sophisticated woman who would run an art gallery in NYC.

My friend taught at a very prestigious private school in NYC (can not say the name of the school to protect my friend's privacy). I asked her to tell me what she thought of Charlotte's storyline.

She said the moms could be very hands-on but it was not unusual for nannies or au pairs to do the more mundane things like everyday pick-ups and drop-offs.

The moms wore a lot of very expensive athleisure wear. The look was to always look fit and busy, though these moms were more busy planning elaborate trips than household errands.

To her, Charlotte just looked like what rich moms wore a couple of generations ago more than now. I also thought some of the clothes did not flatter Charlotte's figure, which is lovely.

My friend also said not all rich schools are the same.

She also taught at a European school where everyone was super super-wealthy farmers.

They were proud to wear frumpy and dowdy clothes but bragged all the time about million-dollar farm equipment.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 3

@qtpye I get what you’re saying- but Charlotte is an older mom. And her kids are almost grown. She is wearing what women in their mid 50s are wearing- not women in their mid 30s who watched SATC as tweens. I can’t see Charlotte wearing athlesiure if she wasn’t actually working out. Just her personality. 

People complain about the cast of the Golden Girls looking dowdy- but that was the style of the 80s! They were very on trend for the time. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
18 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

People complain about the cast of the Golden Girls looking dowdy- but that was the style of the 80s! They were very on trend for the time. 

Fun fact-Rose, Dorothy, and Blanche were around the age of Carrie, Charlotte, and Miranda…mid 50s!

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 2

Che is just unlikable. Not because they are non-binary, but because they are crude, immature, and unfunny.

But, of course, a portion of the audience that has these issues will be smeared as anti-LGBTQ, which is unfair.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Che is just unlikable. Not because they are non-binary, but because they are crude, immature, and unfunny.

But, of course, a portion of the audience that has these issues will be smeared as anti-LGBTQ, which is unfair.

A character can be horribly executed (which Che is) and still be a part of an oppressed or under represented group (which non binary persons are). 

A person can also be a fucking asshole, and still be a member of an oppressed group- which Che is. 

It makes me mad because I enjoy Sara as an actor (and I KNOW they can do better than this drivel) and would want more for a non-binary character as it’s not like there are tons of examples in mainstream media!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/and-just-like-that-samantha-finale-review-b2398599.html

"Unexpectedly, considering so much of the series seemed to get wrapped up in the finale, a third season of And Just Like That... has been confirmed, but I’m not sure that I see hope for it creatively. Not when the only thrilling moment of the season involved an actor who hates the show sitting in the back of a car being sassy on her iPhone."

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
11 minutes ago, violet and green said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/and-just-like-that-samantha-finale-review-b2398599.html

"Unexpectedly, considering so much of the series seemed to get wrapped up in the finale, a third season of And Just Like That... has been confirmed, but I’m not sure that I see hope for it creatively. Not when the only thrilling moment of the season involved an actor who hates the show sitting in the back of a car being sassy on her iPhone."

I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Charlotte & her family- Lily prepping for college. I want to see Nya and Miranda’s friendship, Nya find love again (or at least a consistent hookup). More Seema please. 

• Like 2
On 8/24/2023 at 10:35 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Charlotte & her family- Lily prepping for college. I want to see Nya and Miranda’s friendship, Nya find love again (or at least a consistent hookup). More Seema please. 

Put this show out of its misery! This season finale was a fine ending.

I love Seema! Give her her own spinoff show with Carrie guesting for occasional visits, vacations, and evenings out.

LTW and family are fine but also need their own show. They just had so little to do on this one. And I so wish Herbert had said he was giving up "politics" and then told LTW that he did not want to run for office but instead spend more time with their kids.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Like 2
On 8/24/2023 at 10:23 PM, violet and green said:

I love this article! White gets in some zingers.

Carries "carried around a tiny, ghastly purse shaped like a pigeon" was a great reminder of my favorite funny scene of the entire series so far -- how the store clerk looked at Carrie when she opened the pigeon and took out chewing gum. 

Author Adam White also calls back to the series beginning and I recall that the episode where Big died was poignant and dramatic. And despite the often unnecessary awkwardness, I did like how at first Carrie, Miranda, and Charlotte were shown as white women in their mid 50s "politely struggling through a world and a New York that has changed alongside them."

The show acknowledged that ~15 years had passed for these characters and they are no longer the "young" women of the City. And that time has passed for us in the real world, too, and brought many social changes. Too bad the writers didn't know how to set our gals in today's society a bit better.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

MPK just will not stop beating this drum.

From the article:

"People made a snap judgment about Che based on their cockiness, their arrogance, and I think ,quite frankly, their sexuality. "

No. No. No.  Che was a poorly written character.  Had nothing to do with their sexuality.  They had zero chemistry with Miranda.  Miranda's attraction to Che had her acting like a pod person.  Che did inappropriate things in inappropriate places.  Came across as obnoxious.  And for MPK to continue to say the audience was intolerant at best and homophobic at worst is making him an even bigger asshole than I already thought he was.  

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 5
  • Applause 9
On 8/23/2023 at 8:00 PM, Scarlett45 said:

@qtpye I get what you’re saying- but Charlotte is an older mom. And her kids are almost grown. She is wearing what women in their mid 50s are wearing- not women in their mid 30s who watched SATC as tweens. I can’t see Charlotte wearing athlesiure if she wasn’t actually working out. Just her personality. 

Actually I don't see moms or women in general in their mid 50s dressing like Charlotte.  Or women in their mid 60s - me being one of those.  I don't see it in NYC unless they're dressing for work, an occasion or going out at night.  I don't even see it in wealthy towns in CT, the bastion of upper class preppiness.  Athleisure and super casual clothes seem to have taken over everywhere, at least in NY and CT.  As far as clothes go, this show and to some degree its predecessor is IMO based on an aspirational fantasy that just does not exist, or if it does at all, within a very small square block area on the UES.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

MPK just will not stop beating this drum.

From the article:

"People made a snap judgment about Che based on their cockiness, their arrogance, and I think ,quite frankly, their sexuality. "

No. No. No.  Che was a poorly written character.  Had nothing to do with their sexuality.  They had zero chemistry with Miranda.  Miranda's attraction to Che had her acting like a pod person.  Che did inappropriate things in inappropriate places.  Came across as obnoxious.  And for MPK to continue to say the audience was intolerant at best and homophobic at worst is making him an even bigger asshole than I already thought he was. 

I don't get how MPK doesn't know he shouldn't bite the hand that feeds him.  If he thinks he can insult his audience like this and it won't at some point come back to hurt him, he's living in an arrogant dreamworld of his own.  No wonder he thought Che was a great character.  He is as obnoxious as Che is.  

And don't tell me the recent softening of Che, and their breakup with Miranda in season 2 wasn't in some way an admission that MPK knew he'd better tone them down and make them somewhat likable or he was going to lose viewers.  MPK can blame the audience all he wants but in the end he made those changes because deep down he knows it's in his and the show's best interests.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 8/23/2023 at 8:00 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Sorry, I just had to respond to this - Speaking as someone who was in their late 20's/early 30's when the Golden Girls was on the air, no one but other older women in their age bracket would have thought their clothes were very "on trend".  On trend for a retirement community in Florida perhaps, but not just about anywhere else.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Sorry, I just had to respond to this - Speaking as someone who was in their late 20's/early 30's when the Golden Girls was on the air, no one but other older women in their age bracket would have thought their clothes were very "on trend".  On trend for a retirement community in Florida perhaps, but not just about anywhere else.

Yes that’s what I mean. They were on trend for their peer group. 

• Like 5

My favorite part of that MPK interview besides saying that people who hated Che just don’t like stand-ups (no, we just don’t like unfunny ones) is that the moment people “turned on” Che is when finger-banged Miranda in Carrie’s apartment.  

Because they…should?

You expect people to be okay with Miranda acting totally out-of-character and prioritizing getting finger-banged over caring for her close friend?

I don’t get how you would write that scene and think it skews in Che’s favor.  Oh, wait, they’re so “edgy” and “real” and “honest” that it’s okay to get your groove on no less than 100 feet from where your girlfriend’s friend is recuperating from a major surgery.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

And Just like That won't return with season 3 until 2025?

Due to the only  recently settled  writers' strike and SJP and Cynthia Nixon doing plays in the interim. SJP and Mathew Broderick are doing a revival of Neil Simon's Plaza Suite on Broadway and Cynthia Nixon will be doing an off Broadway play called Seven Year Disappear.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12838005/And-Just-Like-season-three-wont-premiere-2025.html

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2
On 12/8/2023 at 2:43 PM, T Summer said:

And Just like That won't return with season 3 until 2025?

I suppose in fairness, the first season ended in February 2022 and the second season didn't premiere until June 2023.  I think waiting that long tends to be a mistake, but it's not unprecedented here. 

• Like 2
On 12/8/2023 at 2:43 PM, T Summer said:

Cynthia Nixon will be doing an off Broadway play called Seven Year Disappear.

And she's also got a major role on "The Gilded Age" too!  Doesn't sound like these women are giving this show much priority.  I like Cynthia on Gilded Age much better than here anyway.  She plays Miranda's polar opposite, LOL..

• Like 2

I guess I'm in the minority, but I want AJLT to return. I love SATC and its characters, and I will take anything that's like a sequel, even if it could use improvement.  

The huge gaps in between seasons make me lose a bit of interest though. It's like what happened again? What was I looking forward to in the next episode?

• Like 1
(edited)

Che Diaz was 'a waste of airtime' and 'annoying' fans.

Says the people who created the character, continued to shove them down our throats for 2 seasons and called us "the problem" for hating the character. Yeah, whatevs... 🙄

spacer.png

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Like 11
  • Applause 1

Reading the past interview links from MPK and Sara, I rolled my eyes at their lack of self awareness.

Only people I saw being hateful and intolerant were the two of them.  It's as if both people have been trapped in a echo chamber wrapped in a bubble.

Glad the intolerant and hateful character Che is gone now.

• Like 9

So they would not hear that the character Che Diaz was obnoxious and not funny at all and in the scenes they shared had Miranda acting like some lovesick pod person, instead of the  smart savvy  character we knew and were so fond of from SATC...

...and the show's not returning until 2025, but they fired Sara Ramirez now???

After many here stated the character was not quite as insufferable  (in S2) now they weren't involved with and exerting mind control over Miranda...

Funny MPK and his drones  didn't care a fig that many SATC fans didn't care for the character and their arc when they introduced AJLT.   They just branded us all backward unsophisticated haters for expressing that view and dug their heels in further. Strange.

• Like 9

Realistically, what is next for Che? They're no longer in a relationship with Miranda so the only thing keeping them on the show would be solo scenes at the vet's office (ugh) or scenes with Carrie since those two still have a friendship. I'm just not interested in that. I'm still mad that Carrie put Che and Miranda on the same level of friendship in the last episode during that dinner party.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
21 hours ago, maggiegil said:

Our long national nightmare is over!

Not just a waste of airtime, but a waste of money. And after the strikes, studios are going to do everything they can to save a buck. And Che Diaz isn't worth a dime. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

We all told MPK Che was a mistake but we were told we were bigots.  Homphobic.  We were stuck in the past. He owes us all an apology.  Him and his minions and especially Cynthia Nixon were so focused on being "woke" (I hate that term) that they were blind to how poorly written the show was. Even with Che gone I don't have hope the writing will improve

• Like 9
  • Applause 2