Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Jeopardy! Season 38 is almost here so it's time to fire up a new contest score sheet. Face it you guys, you know this is fun. I hope everyone from previous seasons will be back, plus we need some new players too, so sign up everyone! There will be prizes awarded at the end of the season for a variety of winners, so whatever your score, your chances of bringing home a prize are excellent. (Read: Even Steven for everyone.) Plus, it's FREE! And real, physical, tangible prizes WILL be awarded.

And of course, asterisks are back. If you know the answer to a FJ clue that stumps all three players, you'll get an asterisk for that day. And (maybe!) qualify for more prizes at the end of the season. It's a win win!

FJ clues will be posted at the end of every week, so even if you miss a day or two, you can catch up here. Then post your score for the week. I will give your post a "heart like" once it's been recorded. Remember, this is all for fun. No finger pointing allowed! Discussion of FJ clues and answers (and random other topics) is allowed though, and encouraged. I hope to see lots of familiar and new avatars here, starting next week. Questions? Just ask!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm in, and looking forward to it. Maybe this year my luck will change. (though, if all things go right, there will be three weeks I'll be out of touch).

Ooh, that sounds intriguing!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

He’s an Adelie from Paulet Island on a cold, snowy day.

Ah, an Adelie. Thanks. Adelie was my answer to that FJ question that was really Magellan(ic). Hey, there could have been an explorer named Adelie, right?

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

though, if all things go right, there will be three weeks I'll be out of touch

No excuses. Even the Space Station has a communication link! (This is the thread of No Excuses.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Ah, an Adelie. Thanks. Adelie was my answer to that FJ question that was really Magellan(ic). Hey, there could have been an explorer named Adelie, right?

That was my thought exactly in that game.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Ooh, that sounds intriguing!

My first international trip to see family in 40 years. Covid allowing of course. 

20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

No excuses. Even the Space Station has a communication link! (This is the thread of No Excuses.)

Excuses? I don't need no  stinking excuses! 😉

• LOL 5
11 hours ago, OperaLover1229 said:

I would like to join in this season. It will be my first time.Would it be possible to post any “do’s and dont’s” — I don’t want to run afoul of the section. 

Do enjoy yourself. Don't stress about the scores.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, OperaLover1229 said:

I would like to join in this season. It will be my first time.Would it be possible to post any “do’s and dont’s” — I don’t want to run afoul of the section. 

The rules are very simple. Keep track of whether you got each day's Final Jeopardy (FJ). correct for the week. (If you miss a show, our wonderful host, @saber5055, posts all the FJ clues at the end of the week.) If you get FJ right and none of that day's contestants do, you also get an asterisk. Then come here and post your score for the week. Bemoaning your stupidity or bragging about your prowess is encouraged. Some participants also put themselves at tables based on the scoring and then design amazing foods to be served. (I often want to change my score based on the menu). Each week our distinguished host collects the scores and will keep a season long tally for bragging rights come next summer. The charming and talented @saber5055 also awards a Winner of the Week who gets a lovely parting gift. Did I miss anything, other longtime players?

Welcome, @OperaLover1229. We're glad you have joined us. 

• Love 10

@OperaLover1229, SO EXCITED to have you join the contest. Welcome! Her Royal Highness explained the rules well because basically we have no real rules. Just keep track of the Final Jeopardy (FJ) clues/answers you got correct for that week, then post your score here after the show airs Friday. Example: 4/5. Or in my case, more like 1/5. If the FJ stumps all three players on the show but you know it, that FJ answer is an asterisk. Some weeks have no asterisks, some weeks have two or three. In that case, post your score as 3/5** for example. Comments about what you knew or answers you got right or wrong are encouraged. This is a No Finger Pointing zone, we're just here to have fun. Actually, discussion about anything is welcome here. No negativity about anyone is allowed though ... unless it's about yourself. Ha ha!

If you miss an episode, clues and answers can be found at TheJeopardyFan.com. I will post the week's clues here at the end of the week, but no answers. It can remind you if you forgot if you got Wednesday's answer or not. Once I have recorded your score, I will HEART LIKE your post so you know you are in.

Some players aren't able to post scores until Monday or Tuesday of the following week. I generally will give a shout out to any players who are late posting to remind them to step on it and get their score in. Once everyone has posted, I will pick a winner for that week based on whatever passing whim I am feeling at that moment.

Once scores are in, many players like to gather at the virtual table for that number, and some generous players will bring dishes (containing virtual food) to share. For instance, pizza and ice-cream scoops are round, so a perfect meal for the 0/5 table.

Enjoy, and see you next week!

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, OperaLover1229 said:

Thanks to all of you. I am excited about joining. I am a long time Jeopardy! watcher - even back to the time of Art Fleming. 

You could go back and look at some of the season 37 posts, to get an idea of how we post. Some post just their weekly scores. I usually post for the week and season to date. I don’t know if that’s helpful, but I’m a numbers person by training and profession, so I like keeping track.

I’m going to try to be more active in the food options. I love all kinds of food, with very few exceptions, and the food options are always fun!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2

Long time lurker, just not wanting to show off my ignorance, but y'all are having too much fun.  Can I just go ahead and submit my scores for the season (0/5 each week), and if that should happen to change, I'll let you know.  I do enjoy pizzas, bagels, and doughnuts, and at least my name will be in the official cottage cheese tub.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

OMGosh, we are so happy you have joined our contest @SoMuchTV. As for your pre-submitted scores, you will have to battle for that "special" title with your Contest Host. The contest is now Sweet Sixteen Strong and hoping more J! viewers join. After all, it's FREEEEEE! No one leaves this contest a loser, and that's a promise. Welcome! We always have extra place settings at all the tables for everyone.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

OMGosh, we are so happy you have joined our contest @SoMuchTV

No one leaves this contest a loser, and that's a promise. Welcome! We always have extra place settings at all the tables for everyone.

I take that as a personal challenge!

• LOL 5

I have been sitting on the fence about joining in. I did not realize there was food! You all should be more up front about that as a major selling point. 😄

I would very much like to join you. I'm now off to ruminate on foods that relate to the number 1, as I suspect I'll be spending a good deal of time at the 1/5 table. 

• Love 9

Hokey smokes, I am SO EXCITED to have you join the Contest @ProudMary. You will have fun here every week, I gare-rone-tee it. As for the Table For One (abbreviated T41), I have a perm seat there in an upholstered chair that is out being recovered due to me wearing it out last season. And there are plenty of foods that fit that shape. Season 38 is going to be so much fun. Well, the Contest part anyway. Heh. Welcome aboard the official score sheet ProudMary!

• Love 5
On 9/8/2021 at 12:16 PM, OperaLover1229 said:

Thanks to all of you. I am excited about joining. I am a long time Jeopardy! watcher - even back to the time of Art Fleming. 

Me too - I started out with Art.

On 9/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Exactly!  Maybe I can sneak in a deviled egg or two, as well.

Ah, now that will make a 0/5 week more palatable. I love deviled eggs.

• Love 3

I’m in!! 

On 9/7/2021 at 7:52 AM, Clanstarling said:

My first international trip to see family in 40 years. Covid allowing of course

I! 😉

Hope it happens for you! 

On 9/7/2021 at 11:54 AM, PBnJay said:

I'm in too. Everyone here is so nice and the posts are fun. I'm still trying to get on the real show so playing the contest is good practice. Congratulations to the three contest winners.

When you make it I hope that your story will be that you were the season 37 PT’er FJ contest champ! 

On 9/7/2021 at 8:30 PM, OperaLover1229 said:

On 9/8/2021 at 3:21 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Long time lurker, just not wanting to show off my ignorance, but y'all are having too much fun.  Can I just go ahead and submit my scores for the season (0/5 each week), and if that should happen to change, I'll let you know.  I do enjoy pizzas, bagels, and doughnuts, and at least my name will be in the official cottage cheese tub.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:37 PM, ProudMary said:

I have been sitting on the fence about joining in. I did not realize there was food! You all should be more up front about that as a major selling point. 😄

I would very much like to join you. I'm now off to ruminate on foods that relate to the number 1, as I suspect I'll be spending a good deal of time at the 1/5 table. 

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! 

• Love 5

I have been telling people all week about how much fun this is and suddenly had to ask myself, did I sign up yet?  Nope so here I am eagerly saying I'm in.  

Good to see familiar names but welcome all newcomers- I was new last season and can honestly say, this was one of the most fun things I did in the last year (and that is not intended to be damning with faint praise given the general suckiness of recent times - it was just an extra bright spot in my life when one was badly needed).  

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I have been telling people all week about how much fun this is and suddenly had to ask myself, did I sign up yet?  Nope so here I am eagerly saying I'm in.  

Good to see familiar names but welcome all newcomers- I was new last season and can honestly say, this was one of the most fun things I did in the last year (and that is not intended to be damning with faint praise given the general suckiness of recent times - it was just an extra bright spot in my life when one was badly needed).  

I didn't even know it was a thing until halfway through last season (I only really started reading this forum last season). Someone suggested I should join this year and luckily I noticed the thread when went to cue up the Season 38 thread so I'm ready for tomorrow. So here I am. 

• Love 3

Our contest now officially has 22 players, but more are welcome and you lurkers out there can still join this week, and next. It's about time you jumped in here @ams1001. You and your milkshakes are a most-welcome addition.

Not a spoiler but I already checked today's FJ over at TJF and I'm starting out the new season with a BIG FAT ZERO so it's comforting to know I didn't get any smarter over the break. Good luck everyone, beating my score will be a snap!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Our contest now officially has 22 players, but more are welcome and you lurkers out there can still join this week, and next. It's about time you jumped in here @ams1001. You and your milkshakes are a most-welcome addition.

Not a spoiler but I already checked today's FJ over at TJF and I'm starting out the new season with a BIG FAT ZERO so it's comforting to know I didn't get any smarter over the break. Good luck everyone, beating my score will be a snap!

Well, I'm ahead of you already! 😉

Chocolate or vanilla? (The chocolate syrup is homemade!)

Edited by ams1001
messed up my winky face emoji
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Well, I'm ahead of you already! 😉

Chocolate or vanilla? (The chocolate syrup is homemade!)

Well, scoring higher than the Contest Host is not a huge achievement, but congratulations. LOL!

I'm a vanilla fan but homemade chocolate intrigues me. Count me in for that. Maybe I deserve one of each given my role here is to make everyone else feel smart. Yeah, that's the ticket.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Well, scoring higher than the Contest Host is not a huge achievement, but congratulations. LOL!

I'm a vanilla fan but homemade chocolate intrigues me. Count me in for that. Maybe I deserve one of each given my role here is to make everyone else feel smart. Yeah, that's the ticket.

One of each can be arranged.

PS @saber5055, check your message box.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1