Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Okay, in light of the Berry/Barry and Mary/marry/merry discussions, I think it’s fair to ask:  does anyone else think that wine and whine are not homophones?  Very similar pronunciation, but not exactly the same?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, in light of the Berry/Barry and Mary/marry/merry discussions, I think it’s fair to ask:  does anyone else think that wine and whine are not homophones?  Very similar pronunciation, but not exactly the same?

They sound the same to me.

• Love 4

Our station, located a few hours away in North Carolina, interrupted the show twice tonight for weather alerts.  The first lasted for nine minutes,  missing most of the first round. The second one went for over twenty minutes, as we missed the end of Double Jeopardy and all of Final Jeopardy.

I am thankful for sites like this where I can see who won.

9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

They sound the same to me.

Apparently that is something that has changed in the last 50-60 years since I learned phonics. From what I’ve read, the young’uns don’t hear/pronounce a distinction between weather/whether, “y”/why, wine/whine, witch/which…. To me, it’s a very small difference, but they’re not quite the same. 

• Love 6

Whine, Greta Garbo, lead, and Mississippi/Tennessee are all clues I'd have incorrectly predicted someone would get, but none of the TS actually surprised me.  Well, maybe Mississippi/Tennessee a bit, since the third contestant had all that time to come up with TN.

I figured I was going to blow the music category, but wound up getting two.  I didn't actually know the recent song/album, mind you, but I knew "Rocket Man" = Elton John and Lars Ulrich = Metallica, so I got those.  I missed another two in '80s books and one in Gucci (it was a pleasant surprise to nearly run that category, as fashion designers are not in my wheelhouse), so another "meh" first round.

In DJ, I only ran movies.  I missed three in elf, two in body politic, and one each in the rest.  But that's good for DJ.

I only knew FJ because it comes up all.the.time on this show.  Other than "April is the cruelest month", which I'd heard before, I think everything I know about that poem comes from J!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I whine for wine almost nightly. No difference in sound to me.

Not gonna lie, when I got FJ and none of the contestants did, I did a little smug dance in my kitchen. (And then had some whine. I mean wine.)

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I've seen a few baby videos of that moment - they are the cutest!

I've given up self justifications and just view a pint sized carton as one serving (are they truly pints anymore?). That said, I don't buy them unless I'm really, really, really, in need. Fortunately I have some level of self control as long as it's not in the house, because I'm too lazy to go out and get some.

I am team chocolate ice cream and may or may not have finished Magnum's chocolate raspberry ice cream in one sitting. I only buy my favorites when they are on sale.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Apparently that is something that has changed in the last 50-60 years since I learned phonics. From what I’ve read, the young’uns don’t hear/pronounce a distinction between weather/whether, “y”/why, wine/whine, witch/which…. To me, it’s a very small difference, but they’re not quite the same. 

I’ve never heard of that difference existing for any accent. I know some people pronounce “when” and “where” like “hwen” and “hwere” (cue Stewie Griffin) but never heard that for those words. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I’ve never heard of that difference existing for any accent. I know some people pronounce “when” and “where” like “hwen” and “hwere” (cue Stewie Griffin) but never heard that for those words. 

I'm old enough that I was taught in school that "wh" is pronounced with an aspiration in front of the w sound--that is, "hw."  So to me, Stewie Griffin saying "Cool Hwip" is not weird, but absolutely correct.  Any word beginning with "wh" should be pronounced that way.

I'll admit that I generally don't really pronounce them that way--but I consider myself lazy and incorrect for not doing so.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I figured I was going to blow the music category, but wound up getting two.  I didn't actually know the recent song/album, mind you, but I knew "Rocket Man" = Elton John and Lars Ulrich = Metallica, so I got those. 

I also got Elton John for the same reason. I just looked at the archive because I didn't even remember a Metallica clue. I guess that was during my brief time of distraction. I would have gotten that one if I'd been paying attention. I knew 24K Magic was Bruno Mars but I blanked on his name for a second and got it just in time, and I know Childish Gambino is Donald Glover (I know exactly one song of his and it's not Redbone). I've heard the name but I could not have identified Luke Combs from either the clue or the picture even if I had all the time in the world.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Childish Gambino is Donald Glover

"Glover" (the contestant's response) should have been a BMS!! (Donald, Danny, Crispin, Kit----which one?!!!)

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm old enough that I was taught in school that "wh" is pronounced with an aspiration in front of the w sound--that is, "hw."  So to me, Stewie Griffin saying "Cool Hwip" is not weird, but absolutely correct.  Any word beginning with "wh" should be pronounced that way.

I'll admit that I generally don't really pronounce them that way--but I consider myself lazy and incorrect for not doing so.

I am too, though I really only used that to differentiate the spelling - since I now know how to spell them and/or understand context in order to spell them, I don't anymore.  I've since become lazy and don't feel bad about it because language is a living thing and changes over time. (well, mostly because I'm lazy).

It wasn't a great game for me. In the Jeopardy round I got at least three answers for each category (excepting music - and getting two was amazing enough).

Tanked in Double Jeopardy, and no FJ. Oh well. Sometimes you breeze on through, sometimes you don't.

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ, but it was a total guess.

I got the missed clues of whine/wine, Greta Garbo and Chattahoochee.

I had a terrible night.

I was guessing for FJ, too.  I got Garbo and whine/wine but said Chattanooga.  I was heading in the right direction but didn't get there in time.  I also got bald cypress, mainly because my street is Cypress Drive.

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think it’s fair to ask:  does anyone else think that wine and whine are not homophones?  Very similar pronunciation, but not exactly the same?

They sound exactly the same.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm not a young'un and I never learned to pronounce the "h" in those words at all.  It's a silent h in all those cases.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I've heard the name but I could not have identified Luke Combs from either the clue or the picture even if I had all the time in the world.

Yep, I've never seen a picture of him and never heard of that song so I had no chance of getting that one.

40 minutes ago, illdoc said:

"Glover" (the contestant's response) should have been a BMS!! (Donald, Danny, Crispin, Kit----which one?!!!)

Hell, there's also John and Roger.  And Carson Glover.

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I started school in the early 70s and we were definitely NOT taught to pronounce the h.  We were told it was a silent h.  Maybe that was a regional thing?

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I started school in the early 70s and we were definitely NOT taught to pronounce the h.  We were told it was a silent h.  Maybe that was a regional thing?

I'd heard of the Mary/marry/merry merger (before it became a popular topic here) but I didn't know there was a specifically named wine/whine merger...

"The merger is essentially complete in England, Wales, Australia, South Africa, West Indies, New Zealand and most regions of the United States. However, speakers in Scotland, most of Ireland, and in the southern regions of the United Sates continue to pronounce words beginning with ‘wh’ significantly differently to those beginning with just ‘w’."

• Useful 9
50 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

As I recall, it was presented to us as part of this set of letter clusters:  ch, sh, th, and wh.  In all of those, the "h" modifies the sound of the preceding consonant in some way.  So the "h" being silent in "wh" would have made no sense in context.

I accept that most people don't pronounce it that way (as one of my linguistics professors once said, "Language changes.  Suck it up."), but back at Lafayette Park Elementary School, I was definitely taught that "w" and "wh" are not pronounced the same.

Edited to add:  I know it's not just me, because when I was in college, one of my friends was very interested in sea life, and was forever talking about "sperm hwales."

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

As I recall, it was presented to us as part of this set of letter clusters:  ch, sh, th, and wh.  In all of those, the "h" modifies the sound of the preceding consonant in some way.  So the "h" being silent in "wh" would have made no sense in context.

I accept that most people don't pronounce it that way (as one of my linguistics professors once said, "Language changes.  Suck it up."), but back at Lafayette Park Elementary School, I was definitely taught that "w" and "wh" are not pronounced the same.

Edited to add:  I know it's not just me, because when I was in college, one of my friends was very interested in sea life, and was forever talking about "sperm hwales."

That wasn't how I remembered it being taught when I was in school in Maryland in 1971.  We were told that the h in words which started with wh was silent.  Ch, sh, th are all radically different sounds in the words which begin with them than words which start with just c, s and t.  I'm not going to belabor this because a previous post talks about the wh/w merger in a way which makes perfect sense and explains why it is regional.

Back to the game itself, I learned some things about Gucci that I didn't know (the saddle thing and the bamboo handles) although I did run that category because the clues made the answers obvious.  I also learned that Bret Easton Ellis did not write Bright Lights, Big City.  Oops.

I like the new champ.  I liked the old champ.  I'd have been fine with Nadege winning, too.  The game itself wasn't as good as Tuesday's but it wasn't the worst I've seen either.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

We were told that the h in words which started with wh was silent.

Except for the ones where the w is silent (who, whole...). Because English is fun!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Except for the ones where the w is silent (who, whole...). Because English is fun!

Yep, I sometimes wonder why non-English speakers trying to learn it don't just throw up their hands at how goofy it is.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, I sometimes wonder why non-English speakers trying to learn it don't just throw up their hands at how goofy it is.

Re-learning German here, and let's just say English doesn't have the monopoly on difficult, seemingly arbitrary rules. Like gendered words. The genders have little logic to them (well, occasionally, but the one I remember most isn't appropriate). And sometimes the gender changes mid sentence, which gets me every time. 

I'm going to sound really stupid when I see my native German speaking relatives in a few weeks (everything being equal).

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

Re-learning German here, and let's just say English doesn't have the monopoly on difficult, seemingly arbitrary rules. Like gendered words. The genders have little logic to them (well, occasionally, but the one I remember most isn't appropriate). And sometimes the gender changes mid sentence, which gets me every time. 

I'm going to sound really stupid when I see my native German speaking relatives in a few weeks (everything being equal).

Maybe it's the German influence (from Anglo-Saxon) which makes English so weird?  

I remember thinking that gendered nouns were strange when I started taking French & Spanish in high school but the general rules/patterns of those languages seemed more logical than English.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Re-learning German here, and let's just say English doesn't have the monopoly on difficult, seemingly arbitrary rules. Like gendered words. The genders have little logic to them 

Same with French. A pencil is male but a pen is female? Whyyyy? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Same with French. A pencil is male but a pen is female? Whyyyy? 

Suggested tip: Stick with "un stylo" for "pen," that way they're both masculine. I'm guessing you were thinking of "une plume" as the female word, which no one really uses anymore unless you're talking about a fountain pen. And roughly 80% of French words ending in "e" are feminine, so that's why.

34 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

For that matter, couldn’t Bach also have been a BMS?

There was a picture to identify - don't know if that made a difference to needing a BMS.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Pretty good first round! Ran Mythological Endings (not normally a strong subject for me) and Fast Fact, missed one Classic Car (also not a strong subject) and If You Liked It. Got the DD and the only TS of the round (Airbnb).

Not so good second round…ran nothing, missed one Double Meaning and 2-3 in everything else. Got no DDs and the TS of luteinizing hormone (one of 7 in the round).

FJ was an instaget. Given the apparent source language, it seemed like the only option. Glad I got that one because my friend is in Disney right now and she'd be very disappointed in me if I missed it.

Haven't really been posting my score lately, but today's is kinda fun:
77% / 57% / 67%

I liked all the players today, so under my general rule of rooting for the odd one out when there is one woman and two men (or vice versa) and I have no strong feelings one way or the other about any of them, I'm glad Ciara won.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

Another bad night.

I got FJ.  I just read Arabian Nights last year.  I did not care for it.

I didn't get any missed clues.

I got the entire category of myth endings right.

• Love 1

I got FJ, eventually.  I started with, "Oh, wait!  The princess from Aladdin!  What was her name?  Oh, right!  Jasmine!"  

I also got the TS of Adano, luteinizing hormone, and Hedda Hopper.  Adano used to be very popular in crossword puzzles.

• Love 5

Wonders never cease - I got all but one in the mythology category.  I also got all but one in fast facts and ring, and ran cars.  But I missed three each in should have and liked it, so it was not a good first round.

DJ was a little better.  I only ran double meanings, but I got all but one in races, abbrev. and Austria.  I missed three each in the other two, so not great, but not bad for DJ.

I couldn't come up with FJ.  I am not a Disney person, but I figured it had to be a princess (or a dead mom, since those seem to be the two roles Disney gives to women, and I went with princess for being, you know, alive).  Matching the movies I could think of to the information in the clue, I figured it was the princess in Aladdin, but had absolutely no idea what her name is.

• Love 1

If they’re pronounced the same, then “Want a little cheese with that whine?” isn’t as funny.

For FJ, I knew it was the princess from Aladdin, but could not come up with her name!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I figured it was the princess in Aladdin, but had absolutely no idea what her name is.

2 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

For FJ, I knew it was the princess from Aladdin, but could not come up with her name!

I couldn't even remember "Aladdin" let alone "Jasmine," although I could picture the Arabian setting and the coloring and costuming of the characters.

I suppose if I was an on-stage contestant I would have written "Who is Mulan?" rather than nothing, and then all y'all would've been booing and hissing me here. 😆
I've seen the Disney ice princess and the Hawaiian surfer/princess owing to my daughter's niece's obsession with such things, but Mulan is the only name that I can recall. (But the Hawaiian one was my favorite.)
IDK. Did Sleeping Beauty and Snow White have names?

Anyway, Ciara seems to have potential to continue. 

But I guess they don't teach about luteinizing hormone in sex ed anymore? 
Oh well. Asking for permission is more important.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

In the Disney version, Sleeping Beauty is Princess Aurora. (There are other adaptations of the story that give her different names.)

Snow White is, as far as I know, her actual name.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

My sex ed classes were more than 20 years ago and this is the first time I’ve ever heard that term before. 🤷‍♀️

Was there a theme to the “Fast Fact” category? They just seemed like random questions. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I couldn't even remember "Aladdin" let alone "Jasmine," although I could picture the Arabian setting and the coloring and costuming of the characters.

I suppose if I was an on-stage contestant I would have written "Who is Mulan?" rather than nothing, and then all y'all would've been booing and hissing me here. 😆
I've seen the Disney ice princess and the Hawaiian surfer/princess owing to my daughter's niece's obsession with such things, but Mulan is the only name that I can recall. (But the Hawaiian one was my favorite.)

Anyway, Ciara seems to have potential to continue. 

I also thought Mulan was the right answer. I've never heard of the luteinizing hormone. I ran mythology and my only TS was Hedda Hopper.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Was there a theme to the “Fast Fact” category?

None that I discerned (they didn't all relate to things done quickly, for example); it seemed to be a hodgepodge/potpourri category, but one where there weren't really any hints within the clues giving another way of getting to the right response -- we pretty much either knew the fact or we didn't.  That may be why they went with "Fast Fact" rather than one of those usual categories.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Didn't she have a sister named Rose Red?

Snow White and Rose Red were sisters in a different story that has them befriending a bear (actually a transmogrified Prince) and bullied by a rude dwarf. I don’t think this Snow White has anything to do with the other Snow White, who was nearly cannabalized by her stepmother (or actual mother, depending on which version you read) and only revived when dropped on her head (while being transported from the dwarves’ house to the Prince’s, so he could gaze at the comatose girl in creepy solitude.)

In both stories, her given name is Snow White. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

LH came to my attention when I was learning more in depth about menopause. No one mentioned it when I was learning about sex or menstruation. Either way, I knew it, but I wasn't surprised it was a TS. FSH is another one to keep in mind (follicule stimulating hormone).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1