Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I have to credit Dick Francis for assistance in knowing steeplechase.  I've read most of his books, and nearly all of them are at the very least horse-racing adjacent, and some of those races were steeplechases.

Dick Francis was a steeplechase jockey and rode for the British royal family before retiring and becoming an best-selling author with a focus on horse racing.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

They often use that for black, white, and grey. I've gotten used to it - but I agree, I don't think of them as being colorful, though technically they are colors.

Not really— Black is the absorption of all colors, while white is the absence of color. At least that is what I was taught in art school.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Not really— Black is the absorption of all colors, while white is the absence of color. At least that is what I was taught in art school.

Yes, but with colored light——which is what is seen on TV, and now also NFT (Non-Fungible Token) art——black is the absence of all color[ed lights] and white is the presence of all colored lights. 

Regardless, I would bet everyone would miss at least the first Jeopardy! clue they ever encountered that referred to "...colorful this..." in reference to something that had the words black, white, or gray in the name of the correct response. 

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

True, scientifically. But you can get crayons in those not colors, so in popular use then. 😁

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

50% / 60% / 56%

Not a great night, though I did only miss one each in Seasonings, Animals in Children's Books, and 5,5…but I finally got FJ for the first time in the last 3 weeks and it was an instaget.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

I can't believe I missed FJ.  I just completely blanked, and it seemed so obvious when the correct response was revealed.  

But I did get Thomas Jefferson, and I just said radio instead of transistor radio.  Do you think they would have given it to me, or at least asked me to BMS?   

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I just said radio instead of transistor radio.  Do you think they would have given it to me, or at least asked me to BMS?

If they had wanted a BMS for radio, I'm not sure I would have gotten "transistor" in time, even though I can still clearly recall the look and feel and sound of the little transistor radio on which I listened to the "oldies" (mostly 1950s) in bed at night as a young teen in the 1960s.

No FJ for me.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I just said radio instead of transistor radio.  Do you think they would have given it to me, or at least asked me to BMS?  

At least a BMS prompt, I'd guess.

I haven't been keeping track of my performance lately, but tonight I ran everything in the first round other than the British villains category, in which I came up with precisely zero  responses.

DJ was hit and miss, with a lot of misses; I probably missed at least half.

FJ was an instaget, though; I didn't know the specific quote, but early U.S. + a series got me there right away.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clue of Jefferson.

Poplar Forest is the neatest house. It's in Bedford County, just below Lynchburg, VA. Because TJ was POTUS at the time, he wrote extremely detailed letters of how he wanted his home built. The restoration people used those letters. They've done a great job restoring it. The only modern thing (besides the A/C) is the skylight, because Jefferson's always leaked.

The house is octagonal and the perimeter rooms are also octagonal, leaving the giant dining room in the center a perfect cube - 20 x 20 x 20 (Where the aforementioned skylight is.)  I go back about ever 5 years or so to see how they're doing.

But to get to the "basement" area, you have to go outside & walk down the hill. TJ thought staircases were a horrible waste of space.

This pic is the back of the house. It was taken late June, 2017. They were going to have a July 4th "Concert Performance" of 1776, so that's what all the staging is about.

2017.06.27.01 Poplar Forest Stage.jpg

• Useful 4
  • Love 10

I did pretty well in a lot of categories, but again, no sweeps. I should have swept Seasonings, and would have except for Saffron. I knew it, it just wouldn't come to mind. My excuse is that it's too damned expensive, so I've  blocked it out of my mind.

Did not get FJ. Oh well. I think I got at least one this week, so it won't be zero. But then I had a lot of company at the table for 0 last week, which was fun.

• Love 5

73% / 40% / 57%

Geez, Double Jeopardy is not my friend this week. I watched on youtube and for some reason the video was all messed up so I was only listening to most of the game. Tried three different videos and they all did the same thing.

I ran All Around the World in the first round, and missed one each in Christmas shopping and homophonic pairs and two each in the other categories. Second round, I got no more than three in any category (and only in two of them). I got two each in two others, and one each in the other two. 

My TSes were thoroughbred and kinescope.

FJ, however, was an instaget for the second day in a row. It's a Christmas Miracle!

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5

Oh my god, I can't believe my favorite hockey player was in a J! clue--Guy Lapointe, love of my adolescence. This makes me almost as proud as when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame (which was way overdue. Not that I'm bitter).

• Love 9

I just looked up the FJ question so I don't know if they said or not, and I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but did they actually build 3 feet on top of the mountain, or did they add 3 feet by saying it was 3 feet taller.  I would assume the latter, but you know what they say about assuming.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

73% / 40% / 57%

Geez, Double Jeopardy is not my friend this week. I watched on youtube and for some reason the video was all messed up so I was only listening to most of the game. Tried three different videos and they all did the same thing.

I ran All Around the World in the first round, and missed one each in Christmas shopping and homophonic pairs and two each in the other categories. Second round, I got no more than three in any category (and only in two of them). I got two each in two others, and one each in the other two. 

My TSes were thoroughbred and kinescope.

FJ, however, was an instaget for the second day in a row. It's a Christmas Miracle!

I didn't get FJ but I got kingmaker louis and Dutch Schullz

22 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I just looked up the FJ question so I don't know if they said or not, and I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but did they actually build 3 feet on top of the mountain, or did they add 3 feet by saying it was 3 feet taller.  I would assume the latter, but you know what they say about assuming.

They said it was three feet taller than previously determined.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/mount-everest-really-two-feet-taller-180976506/

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

They said it was three feet taller than previously determined.

That's what I figured. But, when I was trying to figure out the answer I assumed they were actually adding feet to something, so then I couldn't get that out of my head.

• Love 2

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  It probably helps that I’ve read “Into Thin Air” many times — the part of the clue about losing toes immediately made me think of frostbite, which led me to Everest.

I also got the TS of thoroughbred, kingmaker, and Louis.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

That's what I figured. But, when I was trying to figure out the answer I assumed they were actually adding feet to something, so then I couldn't get that out of my head.

Yeah, I don't really think of Everest as a landmark, which in my head implies a human built it. I did remember something about Everest "gaining height" and the toe loss also made me think of frostbite, so I considered it. But I was hung up on the landmark thing. Also, to me, agreeing on adding means they were building something, not just measuring it. I'm not surprised 2 of 3 of the players missed it because it was a confusing clue.

I was really happy for Krysten (whose name I'm pretty sure I'm spelling wrong) yesterday, when she got "Steeplechase." 

Today, I was getting seasick watching Chris sway side to side. My problem, I know. I used to shift like that when my back hurt, and I never realized how hard it is to watch. Apologies to everyone who had to look at me standing on line or otherwise on my feet for more than 2 seconds. Yikes.

• Love 4

Sort-of instaget for me. I knew the answer immediately, but for some reason I blanked on the name. So it went something like this:

Me: It’s- it’s- (reaching upwards, hands clawing at the air) 
Husband: What are you doing?? 
Me: Climbing! 
Husband: Everest? 
Me: YES!!

Think they would have given that one to me?

(Happy holidays, everyone!)

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I ran All Around the World in the first round,

Sounds exhausting. 😉

11 hours ago, Katy M said:

Already been answered, but I like this brief description:

Nepal and China have announced a change to the height of Mount Everest after surveyors from both countries came together to agree on a new height of 8848.86m, an increase of 0.86m. Up to now, China's previous official measurement stood at 8,844.43m, almost four meters lower than Nepal's

9 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Another instaget. Made me think of the movie, The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain.

That reminds me of the time when I was a kid and looking up the definition of "hill" and "mountain". I still remember the frustrating definitions today:  Hill - smaller than a mountain, Mountain - larger than a hill.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
42 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That reminds me of the time when I was a kid and looking up the definition of "hill" and "mountain". I still remember the frustrating definitions today:  Hill - smaller than a mountain, Mountain - larger than a hill.

I looked up the definition of mountain a couple of years ago and it gave a height (no I don't remember what it was).  I then looked up the height of the "mountain" near me because I always say "they call it a mountain, but I think it's probably just a big hill).  It was 5 inches shorter than the mountain definition, so I guess maybe close enough, or maybe I'm right about it being a big hill.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I looked up the definition of mountain a couple of years ago and it gave a height (no I don't remember what it was).  I then looked up the height of the "mountain" near me because I always say "they call it a mountain, but I think it's probably just a big hill).  It was 5 inches shorter than the mountain definition, so I guess maybe close enough, or maybe I'm right about it being a big hill.

I was going to say that obviously dictionaries have improved since I was a kid (I'm retiring, so it was a long time ago). Then I looked up the definitions on Merriam Webster Online.

Definition of mountain
1a : a landmass that projects conspicuously above its surroundings and is higher than a hill

Definition of hill
 (Entry 1 of 6)
1 : a usually rounded natural elevation of land lower than a mountain

None of the other definition entries had actual heights. Sheesh.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was going to say that obviously dictionaries have improved since I was a kid (I'm retiring, so it was a long time ago). Then I looked up the definitions on Merriam Webster Online.

None of the other definition entries had actual heights. Sheesh.

Unfortunately I don't remember where I looked it up.  It probably wasn't a dictionary and I just typed "how high is a mountain" or something into google and took the first answer I saw. It wasn't like I was actually researching anything or even having an argument with somebody.  Just satisfying idle curiousity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This (Friday, 12/24/2021) would have been Amy's 5th game filmed in one day after coming back from a break, right?
I really appreciated the way Amy paced herself, seemingly (to me) knowing she was starting to lose the alertness edge, betting just $2K several times. Watching her in this game was a lesson in living life for me. 
Amy is someone about whom I would feel comfortable knowing she had great responsibilities.

I also really appreciated the way Chris was enjoying the puns of the clues. He had a good time and took home $1K. Sounds like a success to me!

I do poorly at home most of the time——being distracted and sleep deprived——but based on my many experiences of performing/teaching or interviewing in front of audiences/students/etc., I would likely do better on the show (but still not winningly well).
But for this game it wouldn't have mattered. I knew very few of the answers and certainly not as quickly as Amy.
However, I recall Matt Amodio saying he would ring in before he had the answer, confident that he would know it. It seems Amy does that sometimes too.
Add "confidence" to a quality necessary to win on Jeopardy! 

4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm retiring, so it was a long time ago

Congratulations, @Clanstarling!
Maybe you can make appearing on Jeopardy! a post-retirement goal?
"Get it while you can!" (as sung by Janis Joplin)

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Congratulations, @Clanstarling!

Maybe you can make appearing on Jeopardy! a post-retirement goal?
"Get it while you can!" (as sung by Janis Joplin)

Nah, I have too many blank moments on the couch and I have a tendency to blank under pressure (unless I'm in charge of the situation, I might be a touch bossy). If there'd been online tests back when I was sharp and young I might have qualified and climbed right up on the box and done my best. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8

I have been enjoying the feeling that, although Amy is continuing to do very well, many of her competitors are getting some good moments in too. Plenty seem to end up with scores around $10K, quite respectable.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:04 PM, zoey1996 said:

Has no one read or seen, National Velvet by Enid Bagnold? That’s when I learned about Steeplechase racing. 

We’re not cultured enough in our house to know National Velvet by Enid Bagnold, but I think we know National Velvet with Elizabeth Taylor. ;)

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

We’re not cultured enough in our house to know National Velvet by Enid Bagnold, but I think we know National Velvet with Elizabeth Taylor. ;)

Technically, they are different because the horse Elizabeth Taylor rode was not even close to piebald. I had/have a hard time getting over that for some reason. 

Attempting to stay on topic, I'm loving Amy's run and had no freakin' clue about the Mt Everest FJ (the hub got it pretty quickly, of course.)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Today, I was getting seasick watching Chris sway side to side.

I wondered if anyone would mention that. I noticed but he is so cute I decided to forgive him, I was happy watching him sway. *shallow*

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Today, I was getting seasick watching Chris sway side to side. My problem, I know. I used to shift like that when my back hurt, and I never realized how hard it is to watch.

Why don't they offer chairs?  Tall chairs with footrests could keep the contestants' apparent heights about the same, even if some contestants prefer to stand.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Why don't they offer chairs?  Tall chairs with footrests could keep the contestants' apparent heights about the same, even if some contestants prefer to stand.

If you've ever watched the original Jeopardy!, with Art Fleming, the contestants were sitting in that one.  I don't know why the revamp changed to having the contestants standing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I wasn't home last night, and quite frankly forgot it was a weeknight, so I just realized today I had a game to check in the archive.

I got the thoroughbred TS, but as a joke answer I figured was wrong - I thought that was a generic term (like purebred) rather than a breed.

No one knowing Bonnie Tyler kind of bummed me out.  I love her voice.

I only missed one (Calhoun) in the first round, and did well in DJ, too.  I only ran scientists and ad songs, but other than missing three in novels, I got all but one in the rest.

And FJ was an instaget; I remember reading that about Mount Everest.

• Love 3
On 12/25/2021 at 2:54 PM, MrAtoz said:

If you've ever watched the original Jeopardy!, with Art Fleming, the contestants were sitting in that one.  I don't know why the revamp changed to having the contestants standing.

I'm trying to think of other game shows that were on around that time, and I think the answer may just have been "because everyone else was doing it."  It seems to me like people on the panel shows of the 60s/70s and the shows like Password and Pyramid were sitting, but otherwise people were standing on Family Feud, Card Sharks, Wheel of Fortune...  (This may be too generalized, and I know there are plenty of exceptions.)  Maybe this was just thought to look less "static" and more "exciting."

• Love 2

I talked to my nephew who attends Roanoke College yesterday. He said that he didn't know Gary but his appearance on Jeopardy was a big deal on campus since it's a small school. This is a big week for Amy she needs to win three games to pass Julia.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

December 27:
Never posted from my phone before…luckily Chrome remembered my password because I sure don’t … but the power button on my computer died; hoping my dad can fix it because while I can buy a new computer if I have to, I don’t particularly want to right now. Anyway…

Also means I had to keep score on paper because my fancy score card is on my laptop.

53% / 70% / 62%

Only ran 4th century, got both DDs in the second round and my only TS was Machine Gun Kelly. 

• Love 4

My reaction to FJ: That could be anything.  I said Oedipus Rex.  

WEre there any TS?  If there were I don't think I got any.

I did get the entiere categories of novels, 4th century and Before and After right.

So, up until FJ I was having a fairly good game.

• Love 1

Ugh, FJ.  My first thought was that it was probably originally in French, and the only play originally in French I could think of was Cyrano de Bergerac, probably because Peter Dinklage was on CBS Sunday morning yesterday, and he is in the new Cyrano movie.  Of course I knew it was so so wrong, unless the 20th century has been extended significantly, but it was all I had.  I don't think Godot would have ever come to me, not even if I waited all night.  (See what I did there?)

The only TS I got was shoot.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Katy M said:

WEre there any TS?  If there were I don't think I got any.

Marriage Story and shoot in the first round, and David Hockney, Constable, Machine Gun Kelly in DJ.  I got the two first rounders, but was just as stumped as the contestants by those three in DJ.  Shoot kind of surprised me, but I suspect they were trying to figure out the category, since it was the first clue.

It was an archive game for me, so I had to assume on a couple of clues that being able to see the picture would have led me to the correct response.

I ran the entire first round, but in DJ I only ran Before & After (love those!) and 4th century.  I missed three each in musicians and paintings, but other than that just missed two in wings and one in geography, so it was a good game overall.

FJ came to me so late I'm not sure I should give myself credit for it, but I will.

• Love 3