Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Random Acts of Mayhem

• Start Topic

I read the book when it first came out and, although it didn't occur to me at the time, now I think Liane Moriarty must have written the character Frances with Melissa McCarthy in mind because she's perfect in the role.

Edited by anniebird
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

This has potential as a drama/thriller.   Is the place a real wellness retreat or did a bunch of people on the verge of meltdowns just go to the worst place they can go?      Maybe a little of both?    But the first episode was interest.  Frances is definitely going to be the standout and Melissa McCarthy is perfect playing her but I also love the actress playing the influencer addicted to her phone.    

Plus the theme song was great. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

This has potential as a drama/thriller.   Is the place a real wellness retreat or did a bunch of people on the verge of meltdowns just go to the worst place they can go?      Maybe a little of both?    But the first episode was interest.  Frances is definitely going to be the standout and Melissa McCarthy is perfect playing her but I also love the actress playing the influencer addicted to her phone.    

Plus the theme song was great. 

I love the influencer, too. And Carmel. The influencer reminds me of a streamer/influencer that I follow. I don't know who most of them are.

It took me a while to recognize Michael Shannon. I haven't kept up with casting and everything, so Jason from the Good Place, was a surprise. 

• Love 7

After White Lotus, I’m ready for something to cleanse the palate. So far this seems very generic, right down to the opening credits and the brooding imagery with dream-like pop song. But the actors are interesting to watch so I’ll stick with it for now. 

Also good to see Jason from Good Place. He’s actually playing another monk like character, which is ironic. 

Edited by Samsnee
  • Love 12

I've read all of Liane Moriarty's novels, and Nine Perfect Strangers ties with Truly Madly Guilty as my least favorite, so I didn't expect much from the show. It still managed to disappoint me though. The only main actor who I feel is delivering a good performance is Melissa McCarthy, and I enjoyed what little I saw of Manny Jacinto and Tiffany Boone. The others are just there. Nicole Kidman looks frightening with her bad plastic surgery and stringy hair extensions, and don't get me started on her "Russian" accent. Did she take lessons from John Malkovich after his stint on Billions?

I'll watch a couple more episodes for Melissa and to see if the rest gets any better.

• Love 6
On 8/18/2021 at 7:58 PM, Anela said:

I love the influencer, too......

I'm intrigued by her character, but couldn't help but be distracted by her seemingly have studied so many physical aspects of Annie Murphy's portrayal of Alexis in Schitt's Creek.  Maybe it's just that I don't follow influencers so it's a generic influencer thing, but that's the reference I came away with after the first episode. 

Edited by pennben
Dammit, Alexis, not Alexa. Sigh.
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Samsnee said:

So far this seems very generic, right down to the opening credits and the brooding imagery with dream-like pop song.

That's Nicole singing during the opening credits, right?  Is she deliberately so off key to set the tone?  She's trying so hard to remind us of Big Little Lies (which was superb) and The Undoing (which was not). 

Book reader here so I know what to expect.  I'm enjoying Melissa McCarthy's performance and the setting is beautiful.

• Love 10

Nicole Kidman is an excellent actress most of the time, but the look that they gave her and the terrible Russian accent that she's trying to attempt make her acting ability fly out the window. Could that wig be any more fake looking? The close ups of her filtered face are strange. Maybe they should have chosen another actress to play the role, but then not as many people would have tuned in. I'll watch for the other actors who are intriguing.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Kenz said:

Nicole Kidman is an excellent actress most of the time, but the look that they gave her and the terrible Russian accent that she's trying to attempt make her acting ability fly out the window. Could that wig be any more fake looking? The close ups of her filtered face are strange. Maybe they should have chosen another actress to play the role, but then not as many people would have tuned in. I'll watch for the other actors who are intriguing.

Agreed about Nicole Kidman.  I’m also not sure why they felt the need to not have Asher Keddie speak in her Australian accent.  As it is, her accent keeps slipping through and her voice takes on this very low tone that is almost distracting.  

• Love 9
21 hours ago, pennben said:

I'm intrigued by her character, but couldn't help but be distracted by her seemingly have studied so many physical aspects of Annie Murphy's portrayal of Alexa in Schitt's Creek.  Maybe it's just that I don't follow influencers so it's a generic influencer thing, but that's the reference I came away with after the first episode. 

I didn't notice it till the second episode. No plot spoilers but I'll tag it to be safe ..

Spoiler

Yes! When Jessica was talking to Frances by the pool, she was so Alexis it had to be deliberate. She even did the hands thing, lol. I love Alexis so I got a kick out of it, but it did take me out of the story a bit.

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, kassandra8286 said:

I didn't notice it till the second episode. No plot spoilers but I'll tag it to be safe ..

Reveal spoiler

Yes! When Jessica was talking to Frances by the pool, she was so Alexis it had to be deliberate. She even did the hands thing, lol. I love Alexis so I got a kick out of it, but it did take me out of the story a bit.

I don't know who that is. I might link to who she reminds me of. She's a girl who was a gamer/streamer, who already had a large following on instagram, because she was so pretty. Now she's the co-owner of a company that she signed with a few years ago. I don't think she would have  been studied by the actress, although she has had a lot more exposure in the past year. 

https://www.instagram.com/valkyrae/

Only, she doesn't walk around in fancy dresses and heels, all the time. :) It was just her hair in a high ponytail, and some of her mannerisms (being unsure of a word), that reminded me of her. https://www.instagram.com/p/CR-pg2Dr-WO/

On 8/19/2021 at 7:11 AM, Haleth said:

That's Nicole singing during the opening credits, right?  Is she deliberately so off key to set the tone?  She's trying so hard to remind us of Big Little Lies (which was superb) and The Undoing (which was not). 

While I heard that Nicole Kidman sang the theme for The Undoing, I did not hear that she is singing this theme.

My Shazam says this is the song:

And that this is the band:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unloved_(band)

And here is an article about it:

https://www.thefocus.news/tv/who-sings-the-nine-perfect-strangers-theme-song/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I’m afraid that with all the messed up stuff Nicole Kidman has done to her face, these are the only roles she’ll be ok in.

I don’t understand why anyone would sign up for something like this let alone stay, especially after they found out on day one that it’s not at all what they thought they were in for. Obviously shit’s just going to get more and more disturbing and I will continue to wonder why they go along with any of it as my empathy for any of them dissolves into contempt .

• Love 5

I read this when it was first published and HATED it so my expectations are low. I'm tuning in mainly for the actors. And given how they changed things from book to series with Big Little Lies, I'm hoping they do the same here. 

I think Nicole Kidman is a great actress and I normally gravitate to her projects but I find her to be woefully miscast here. There is nothing about her in this first episode that would compel me to sign myself over to her for 10 days regardless of how beautiful a retreat it is.

I did laugh though at the disparity between Melissa McCarthy's room and Michael Shannon's considering he went on and on about how they received a super discount. Indeed. 🤣

I recognized the theme song immediately as it was used in a very pivotal scene in Killing Eve. Speaking of KE, Nicole should chat up Jodie Comer for how to convincingly do a Russian accent. 

I will 100% follow this through to the end given the caliber of the talent, but I'm not expecting greatness. YET.

• Love 2
On 8/19/2021 at 12:34 AM, pennben said:

I'm intrigued by her character, but couldn't help but be distracted by her seemingly have studied so many physical aspects of Annie Murphy's portrayal of Alexis in Schitt's Creek.  Maybe it's just that I don't follow influencers so it's a generic influencer thing, but that's the reference I came away with after the first episode. 

Same.  Exact same.  I like her, but the affectations are distracting, because Alexis was so unique in her mannerisms.  

Also, and I don't mean this like it might sound, but did Nicole Kidman used to be a better actress?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Took me a while to figure out that Kidman is supposed to be russian. Maybe because I grew up in a town full of russians, but that accent is just terrible and I would have never guessed what it was supposed to be.

I hope it actually matters that she is russian later in the story, because so far it seems totally pointless and distracting.

• Love 5
On 8/19/2021 at 12:01 AM, chocolatine said:

I've read all of Liane Moriarty's novels, and Nine Perfect Strangers ties with Truly Madly Guilty as my least favorite, so I didn't expect much from the show. It still managed to disappoint me though. The only main actor who I feel is delivering a good performance is Melissa McCarthy, and I enjoyed what little I saw of Manny Jacinto and Tiffany Boone. The others are just there. Nicole Kidman looks frightening with her bad plastic surgery and stringy hair extensions, and don't get me started on her "Russian" accent. Did she take lessons from John Malkovich after his stint on Billions?

I'll watch a couple more episodes for Melissa and to see if the rest gets any better.

I find her huge wrinkle free forehead a bit freaky. isnt she 50-60 years old? get a grip its ok to  have a wrinkle or 2. very distracting

• Love 4
1 hour ago, nlkm9 said:

I find her huge wrinkle free forehead a bit freaky. isnt she 50-60 years old? get a grip its ok to  have a wrinkle or 2. very distracting

She's 54, same age as Connie Britton. Somebody on the White Lotus boards said Connie's face looks wrinkly, and I replied that I'd much rather watch an actress with a naturally aging (and still gorgeous) face than one who's had too much work done, like Nicole Kidman.

• Love 13
On 8/19/2021 at 10:55 AM, Kenz said:

I *hate* that wig. It is so distracting. I enjoy the actors overall. 

• Love 2

I just watched the first episode.  I think I may like it more than most around here.  I’m a huge fan of Kidman.  She mesmerizes me in just about every role she’s in.  I find her face lovely.  Hair…ok.  And, her accent is fine to me.  If you watch 90 Day Fiancé you get plenty of Russian accents.  Lol.Masha is  no different to me.  She is somewhat like a unicorn.   

• Love 6
22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just watched the first episode.  I think I may like it more than most around here.  I’m a huge fan of Kidman.  She mesmerizes me in just about every role she’s in.  I find her face lovely.  Hair…ok.  And, her accent is fine to me.  If you watch 90 Day Fiancé you get plenty of Russian accents.  Lol.Masha is  no different to me.  She is somewhat like a unicorn.   

I agree with all of this, so there are 2 of us!

The theme song sounds so much like the Big Little Lies theme song (or maybe they both just have an eerie tone). 

• Love 5
On 8/28/2021 at 10:55 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Same. I read the novel and found it just okay. But I’m really enjoying the cast and the series. Everyone is bringing humor and interest to their roles. 

And it works for me that Nicole Kidman has a surgically-altered face and a bad Russian accent. Is Masha really Russian? Is she really human? Nicole makes the character sufficiently creepy. Even her loyal staff is a little afraid of her. 

On 8/26/2021 at 5:57 PM, nlkm9 said:

On 8/26/2021 at 7:46 PM, chocolatine said:

She's 54, same age as Connie Britton. Somebody on the White Lotus boards said Connie's face looks wrinkly, and I replied that I'd much rather watch an actress with a naturally aging (and still gorgeous) face than one who's had too much work done, like Nicole Kidman.

Those female actors. Either they get too old-looking, or they get too much plastic surgery. Why do they even bother acting after they turn 30? *insert eye roll here.* BTW, the sarcasm is intended for Hollywood, not the OPs. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

I have seen friends post about this as being this great thriller...so I decided to give it a try...only watched the first episode....and I was wondering if this is supposed to be a parody of mysterious thrillers because the dialogue is soooo cheesy and Kidman just seems like she's in a Lifetime Movie of some sort. Melissa McCarthy is great in this but it is just soooo bad, should I keep watching? Does it get better? I really don't like wasting my time on the so called "hate watch" train...

11 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I have seen friends post about this as being this great thriller...so I decided to give it a try...only watched the first episode....and I was wondering if this is supposed to be a parody of mysterious thrillers because the dialogue is soooo cheesy and Kidman just seems like she's in a Lifetime Movie of some sort. Melissa McCarthy is great in this but it is just soooo bad, should I keep watching? Does it get better? I really don't like wasting my time on the so called "hate watch" train...

It doesn't really get better. It's pretty ridiculous all around.

• Love 1

With a producer like David Kelly and a crack cast - Nicole Kidman, Bobby Canavale, Melissa McCarthy, Mike Shannon - you'd think this show couldn't possibly be the cliche-ridden, trope-laden turd that it is. Virtually every character seems like a cartoon, and the totally unimaginative retreat-guru-substance-addicted-generation storyline feels about as original as a Tony Robbins firewalk or a dog-eared old copy of Be Here Now. Seriously?

With all that star-power, I really wanted to like this. Maybe I could've tolerated it a bit better with a couple micro-doses of psilocybin.:-)

• Love 3