Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: My Big Fat French Crush

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

No spoilers.  Only post about the episode and what was shown on the show up until then. No info from social or other media.  And hey. let's be careful out there! 
Forum rules are here for your reading (and adherence) pleasure. 

• Start Topic

Back home in Greensboro, Whitney looks forward to life after quarantine, but Buddy may have abandoned her for his new girlfriend. When Whitney develops a crush on a Parisian man, her friends worry about her getting into another long distance relationship.

She's baaaaack!  Season 9 is here. 

Please refresh your knowledge of the forum rules prior to posting. 

Original air date 2021.08.17

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

The season premiere is available on Discovery + this morning.  

My ass is getting a fresh cup of coffee and heading over to get my Tuesday morning snark on.

Happy Tuesday, fellow posters!  

I tried.  I made it through the introductory part and already could not take anymore!!!   Especially, when I saw the Chase teaser.  HE OWES HER NO ADVANCE WARNINGS ABOUT ANYTHING.  Even if the relationship was real.  This, to me, proves it was just a paycheck.  He was a hired gun for a story line.

Update:  I tried watching again this morning and just watch bits and pieces. Two comments. Her dad has to bring her snacks for the trip to get vaccinations?  She can’t run an errand without eating, obviously.  Right out of My 600 lb. Life!!

Todd continues to be a breath of fresh air.  And reason.

Why are they wearing masks outside?

Spoiler

Buddy does not live there anymore yet the continue to act like he does.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Kid said:

I tried.  I made it through the introductory part and already could not take anymore!!!   Especially, when I saw the Chase teaser.  HE OWES HER NO ADVANCE WARNINGS ABOUT ANYTHING.  Even if the relationship was real.  This, to me, proves it was just a paycheck.  He was a hired gun for a story line.

That perplexes me, too, particularly after the social media beating he took for daring to have a baby with another woman and all of the threats made towards him, his *real* girlfriend and even the baby.  I was shocked he wanted anything further to do with this dumpster fire, much less to tell Whitney he had proposed and was engaged.  Ugh.  TLC must have paid him a pretty penny to get him to come back for what looks to be a very small cameo appearance.

Buddy remains an asshole.  Not quite as big an asshole as Whitney, but an asshole nonetheless.  Did they all really sit around waiting for him to grill freaking hot dogs?  Maybe he brought other meats as well, but I only saw hot dogs on the grill.  FFS, surely somebody - ANYBODY - else there could have grilled wieners.  Of course, I'd have given up and ordered pizza by the time Buddy deigned to arrive.  

D+ didn't have any season previews at the end of the episode, dammit.  I wanted the promise of a bunch of ugly cry faces this season.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Season 9? I've wasted 8 seasons of my time on this immature, vapid, selfish, egocentric woman and her social barnacles? Part of me is ashamed. A bigger part is counting the hours.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • LOL 14
  • Love 7

Watched this morning on Discovery+, here are my thoughts so far...

Of course she's laying back completely in her car eating ALL the snacks her dad brought while Hunter goes with their parents for the shot. And it's pretty sad the rest of the family is scared of Whitney finding out about Bab's fall because of how obnoxious, nosy and bossy she is when it comes to her parents health.

While Buddy was really inconsiderate with being late to the housewarming party, I thought it was so rude of Whitney to not only admit to going through his personal mail (oh yeah, because she was doing it as a "favor" to him), but also tells everyone about him being in collections. There are some things you should definitely discuss in private.

How many pairs of glasses does this girl own?? Half way into the episode and she's already worn like 10 different pairs. Also, that nude lipstick does her no favors, her lips practically blend into the rest of her face.

The fact that this guy is blurred on the show and doesn't want to disclose his name already makes me think the "relationship" isn't going to end well...

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, sara1025 said:

The fact that this guy is blurred on the show and doesn't want to disclose his name already makes me think the "relationship" isn't going to end well...

Would you want your face shown??  🤣🤣🤣  When the fake storyline ends because it is ALL HIS FAULT, he does not want to go through what Chase did.  

Edited by Kid
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6

Never mind - I don't think I'm allowed to ask about that.

But I am curious - since we aren't allowed to mention anything on SM here, are we allowed to talk about something that happened on the show but is clearly a lie because we know something from SM or do we just have to pretend it isn't a lie?

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, sara1025 said:

Of course she's laying back completely in her car eating ALL the snacks her dad brought while Hunter goes with their parents for the shot. And it's pretty sad the rest of the family is scared of Whitney finding out about Bab's fall because of how obnoxious, nosy and bossy she is when it comes to her parents health.

While Buddy was really inconsiderate with being late to the housewarming party, I thought it was so rude of Whitney to not only admit to going through his personal mail (oh yeah, because she was doing it as a "favor" to him), but also tells everyone about him being in collections. There are some things you should definitely discuss in private.

How many pairs of glasses does this girl own?? Half way into the episode and she's already worn like 10 different pairs. Also, that nude lipstick does her no favors, her lips practically blend into the rest of her face.

Oh lord, I managed to forget that scene because I was LOL'ing that Glenn brought all healthy snacks and I was waiting for Whitney to start bitching about that.  Apples, popcorn, almonds...I'm surprised Glenn hadn't portioned them out into individual servings in sandwich bags.  😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

But I am curious - since we aren't allowed to mention anything on SM here, are we allowed to talk about something that happened on the show but is clearly a lie because we know something from SM or do we just have to pretend it isn't a lie?

3girls, I'm not a mod, but maybe you could head over to the "What the F*** is Wrong with Her?" thread. It's quite funny and lots of traffic there. Several of the regular posters follow her on IG and are quick with the paste and commenting. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

• Love 2

Okay, did she seriously say she's never dated men who aren't hot?

Are we supposed to wipe our memories of the unfortunate looking Lenny and the internet pics of Avi?  

Honestly, I found Lenny ghastly during his first appearance with that dirty-looking beard, but I'll be damned if he didn't look even worse without the beard.  

I think Chase was the only one who fell into the moderately attractive range, and even at that I didn't find him "hot" per se.  Well, "hot" compared to Lenny and Avi.  

Blech.  

• Love 13

WHAT A FREAKING MORON!!!!

Sure thing Twitney.  EVERYBODY who wants to lose weight is gonna want a 400 pound TRAINER......

Wait! Did her FAT ASS just FALL DOWN on the street?? With her parents???

Edited by goofygirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Whoa. She looks even bigger, and so does Jessica. And Babs. Looks like Babs had some work on her face.

Covid pounds I guess.  That's the excuse for now.

Lol she's going to be a trainer. Having to read a "big, hard cover book" which she hasn't managed to do yet. Mmkay.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

If the SM was from PRIOR to when the show was FILMED, it is fair game.  If it was released AFTER the show was FILMED, the information belongs in the media thread only.   If you have any questions on the forum rules, please PM the forum moderator, @PrincessPurrsALot.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

So I see TLC will he supporting Chase’s baby.  He’s now officially a barnacle.   She’s still saying she’s going to be a trainer???? That ship sailed 200 pounds ago. 

It goes against everything I believe in to say this and pay her a compliment but I like her glasses. 

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, nytonc said:

It goes against everything I believe in to say this and pay her a compliment but I like her glasses. 

I know me too.  I like all of them.  I want to know where she got them.  

My husband thinks her face looks thinner this season.  She actually may have lost a few pounds but she is so heavy it's like a drop in the bucket and you'd never notice it.

It does look like Buddy has put back any of the weight he lost last season.  His new girlfriend is cute.  I still can't get over how he manages to get women that are way out of his ballpark to date him.

• Love 12

There is so much to unpack here...none of it good.  So Whitney needs to go to the vaccine appointment to sit in the parking lot and eat popcorn...ummm ok 🙄  Buddy’s falling down on sandwich and meat duty, Whitney acts like he’s her personal assistant/lover/soulmate/delivery boy/handyman.  I get he’s probably there for the money, but they can’t be paying him that much. Why is Heather still labeled as Buddy’s Ex-girlfriend?  Is the blur going to stay on for the whole season 😂?

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

It's obvious she hasn't seen most if not all of these people since filming ended last season.  Now she's going to schlock up her Greensboro house with all the tchotchkes she brought back from her Charlotte condo.  Did it really need a makeover?  No.

Chase and perhaps even Buddy were probably only there because it's in their contracts that they have to appear at least once per season.  No way Buddy was really living in that house again with her.  He acts like an ass because he gets paid to act that role.

That "French teacher" doesn't even make a half-assed attempt to hide his American accent.  She made sure to say he was "living in Paris", but she didn't say he was French.  Although they're acting like he is judging from the way they're gushing over him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

2 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Okay, did she seriously say she's never dated men who aren't hot?

Are we supposed to wipe our memories of the unfortunate looking Lenny and the internet pics of Avi?  

Honestly, I found Lenny ghastly during his first appearance with that dirty-looking beard, but I'll be damned if he didn't look even worse without the beard.  

I think Chase was the only one who fell into the moderately attractive range, and even at that I didn't find him "hot" per se.  Well, "hot" compared to Lenny and Avi.  

Blech.  

Technically she said she only LIKES men who are hot.  Sorry about your luck Lennie and Avi. 🤣  (And Chase too. The only guy she ever liked who I thought was cute was Roy.)

If any of this were "real" instead of "reality" - at what point does she get embarrassed about expecting Buddy to put her first above actual girlfriends he may get?  At what point does Ashley get embarrassed about acting like every guy who ever talked to Whitney hits on her as if she were a 90210 cast member?  Ashley's been really earning that paycheck since Harper was born.

Just now, Yeah No said:

That "French teacher" doesn't even make a half-assed attempt to hide his American accent.  She made sure to say he was "living in Paris", but she didn't say he was French.  Although they're acting like he is judging from the way they're gushing over him.

Yeah - makes me think they didn't know how this was going to be edited 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I can kind of see someone struggling with their weight picking a slightly overweight trainer, to have someone to empathize with. However at 350-ish pounds, I think Whitney is far outside of the range people might think is the max reasonable amount to properly show form or consistency at keeping past weight off. We've seen her dance and her terrible form at weight lighting, can she even physically instruct someone if given the chance? A lot of the time personal trainers give verbal instruction and encouragement, but they often have to demonstrate the actions too, and I really doubt Whitney is able to do that. Clients aren't going to be impressed with her basic mobility like her parents seem to be.

And Chase must be really desperate to agree to go back into this trainwreck. How does this fit the story line? It just makes the jump to this new French dude seem even more sudden.

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, alabetser said:

I can kind of see someone struggling with their weight picking a slightly overweight trainer, to have someone to empathize with. However at 350-ish pounds, I think Whitney is far outside of the range people might think is the max reasonable amount to properly show form or consistency at keeping past weight off. We've seen her dance and her terrible form at weight lighting, can she even physically instruct someone if given the chance? A lot of the time personal trainers give verbal instruction and encouragement, but they often have to demonstrate the actions too, and I really doubt Whitney is able to do that. Clients aren't going to be impressed with her basic mobility like her parents seem to be.

She couldn't even do the basic stuff she and Jessica were filming so how could she ever be a trainer?  What a Joke.  Jessica must be desperate for the money to humor her like that.  Whitney's mobility seems to have gotten even more basic recently.  She's creeping ever closer to 40 all the time and her weight is becoming more of an impediment to any sort of flexibility as she gets older.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

She couldn't even do the basic stuff she and Jessica were filming so how could she ever be a trainer?  What a Joke.  Jessica must be desperate for the money to humor her like that.  

This! Jessica (I think) is a legimately qualified fitness instructor. If she thinks or claims Whitney can do this, what does this say about her reputation and standing?  That being said, I do think the concept of more beginner and more advanced workout routines is good. There are a lot of people who want to be healthier, but either are intimidated or don't know how to start. But with Whitney running it, it's doomed like BGDC.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

But so intentional. 

So intentional. Maybe Buddy gets hazard pay when they reveal something incredibly personal or embarrassing. 

8 hours ago, alabetser said:

And Chase must be really desperate to agree to go back into this trainwreck. How does this fit the story line? It just makes the jump to this new French dude seem even more sudden.

Chase is chasing (hur hur) them dollars. I’m really enjoying how Todd is giving 100% zero fucks and breaking down the fourth wall every chance he gets.

12 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Here is a few, just so you have something to look forward too

image.png.b0a0791d06185bce12cb62eda9817d70.pngimage.png.2ba44a0f5b96053289e028405bd487ff.pngimage.png.0fb1b6caa8053095032ebb71443d8ea6.png  

I am delighted. I forget why she’s crying with a penguin hat on but uhhhh….I’ve been there. 😂 You’d have to pay me in gold ingots to allow those scenes on television for god and everybody to see.

17 hours ago, sara1025 said:

I mean, if I knew these miscreants in real life, I would never EVER LET ANYONE see my stupid face on tv. This show is all about embarrassing their cast.

9 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

There is so much to unpack here...none of it good.  So Whitney needs to go to the vaccine appointment to sit in the parking lot and eat popcorn...ummm ok 🙄  Buddy’s falling down on sandwich and meat duty, Whitney acts like he’s her personal assistant/lover/soulmate/delivery boy/handyman.  I get he’s probably there for the money, but they can’t be paying him that much. Why is Heather still labeled as Buddy’s Ex-girlfriend?  Is the blur going to stay on for the whole season 😂?

Buddy’s girlfriend is soooooo cute. She also seems very very normal, which does beg the question of why get involved with this show. Buddy says something about it being his turn to live his life and that might be the most honest thing anyone  said this episode. He’s been Whitney’s everything for years with his master’s dissertation being Whipping Boy 101, it’s time he moves on. It’s doubtful he will because Whitney reminds him, in front of friends and family, that he has (overdue/delinquent) bills to pay and this is essentially, his only means of serious pay. Play ball or get out. Frenchy is moving in!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, alabetser said:

And Chase must be really desperate to agree to go back into this trainwreck.

Probably part if his contract. He had to come back one last time for the $$$. 

Gee, let's go to a party at Whit's house and wait for hot dogs and then watch Whit berate Buddy in front of everybody. Fun times. I hope Buddy finds eternal happiness with his new girlfriend. Oh, and I'm dying to know what this "Life Plan" she and Buddy had. She hasn't grown up at all. 

Looks like Ashley has taken the place of Tal this season. She has too much to say. Earn your check, Ashley! Tal was in the background at the party, we barely saw him. So happy to see Todd back with his snark. Heather needs makeup lessons if she's going to pull off that purple hair look. She looked clownish. 

It was sad to see Whits mother fall down. They didn't need to show that. Have some grace, people! 

French man is a hired actor. Just my opinion. Whit goes to Paris!! Just like Carrie from SATC. We are not that stupid, are we? 

• Love 14
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

My husband thinks her face looks thinner this season.  She actually may have lost a few pounds but she is so heavy it's like a drop in the bucket and you'd never notice it.

She has definitely lost some weight. I'd say around 50 lbs or so which is not much when you weighed 380 to begin with. If you ever have the pleasure of watching her first and second season you can really see the difference now. Her no BS video's are pathetic. She's barely moving in them. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It's obvious she hasn't seen most if not all of these people since filming ended last season.  Now she's going to schlock up her Greensboro house with all the tchotchkes she brought back from her Charlotte condo.  Did it really need a makeover?  No.

Chase and perhaps even Buddy were probably only there because it's in their contracts that they have to appear at least once per season.  No way Buddy was really living in that house again with her.  He acts like an ass because he gets paid to act that role.

Oh, come sit by me!

I've done quite a bit of work for French physicians and that dude on the phone didn't have any hint of a French accent that I could detect.  I think he's an American maybe over in France (heavy emphasis on maybe) teaching English as a second language, or the real dude refused to let TLC even use his voice and they to hire some random actor to read his "lines."  

I did LOL when the opening credits said something akin to "did not wish to be shown and images are blurred" or however it was phrased.  Mini Persnickety dug around on Google to try to find a picture (like everyone did with Avi), but no luck.  

This season is going to be a complete shit show, and I'm here for it 😂

40 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

She has definitely lost some weight. I'd say around 50 lbs or so which is not much when you weighed 380 to begin with. If you ever have the pleasure of watching her first and second season you can really see the difference now. Her no BS video's are pathetic. She's barely moving in them. 

I'll give credit where credit is due.

I also think that's her real hair and it looks so much healthier than it did in past seasons.  Her skin also looks better.  

It doesn't look like she's lost a lot of weight to me, but with her hair and skin looking much better, I'm going to assume she's at least making healthier eating choices.  Nutrients are getting in there somehow and it shows.  

Whatever she's doing differently, I hope she keeps it up.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Eating popcorn while lying down in a car is only one of Whitney’s terrible decisions.  God help her. 

I was waiting for her to choke to death, LOL.

She's always been madly in love with Buddy.  Buddy is "hot"?

• LOL 7
8 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

I was waiting for her to choke to death, LOL.

She's always been madly in love with Buddy.  Buddy is "hot"?

I'm not convinced she's in love with Buddy.  I think what people see as her being in love with Buddy is her possessiveness. Buddy has in the past been the easiest to control and assert dominance over. He was unemployed, on drugs, living in her house, willing to cater to her. She isn't actually upset that he has a girlfriend that isn't her. She's upset that he has a life. He's living with his girlfriend, has a job, has been bucking her commands, isn't there to wait on her. She sees Buddy as 'hers' but not because she loves him - his purpose is to serve her. 

• Love 21
40 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I'm not convinced she's in love with Buddy.  I think what people see as her being in love with Buddy is her possessiveness. Buddy has in the past been the easiest to control and assert dominance over. He was unemployed, on drugs, living in her house, willing to cater to her. She isn't actually upset that he has a girlfriend that isn't her. She's upset that he has a life. He's living with his girlfriend, has a job, has been bucking her commands, isn't there to wait on her. She sees Buddy as 'hers' but not because she loves him - his purpose is to serve her. 

"Obsessed with" is more accurate; narcs aren't really capable of selfless love.

At any rate, Buddy is a man she's dated (supposedly), and Buddy isn't "hot."

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 4

My heart broke for Babs when she fell, a simple fall can really do some damage as you get older. So if Buddy has been so unreliable, why did she let him be in charge of the burgers and dogs? I think she is really going to hold him to the signed pizza box contract that under no circumstances can he have a life. Why does she care if he is gone most of the time, heck if he is still paying his rent that would be the best possible roommate. She obviously has this fear of being alone, and there is nothing shameful about that. I think she needs therapy. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

I also think that's her real hair and it looks so much healthier than it did in past seasons. 

Nope, she has severe bald spots that do not grow back. She had some pieces in there, possibly extensions. She said she uses this product called TOPPIX to cover the spots. I have used it before, it's got some weird texture but makes you look like you have a full hairline. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Wow, what a fabulous life! She insists on taking her elderly parents to get their shots, then lies back in the car and stuffs her face while they're stumbling off down the street. Then she and Jessica attempt an exercise video, with Whit elephantinely jumping rope for about 5 seconds, and talk about how massively successful they've been since Ryan quit. Chase drives an hour to meet Whit and tell her the mother of his child has agreed to marry him; Whit is inexplicably crushed. Then she shows us her overstuffed decor (that bathroom is ugly) and unexpectedly! gets a call from her 'French tutor' while her blabby friend is there to witness the awkward 'french kiss' comment. Then she has a house warming party on a day that's so cold everyone shows up wearing heavy jackets (except Whit, who seems to be wearing a tablecloth). The entire party is spent complaining about Buddy and 'accidentally' dropping hints about her tutor, who is apparently now her long distance boyfriend. Ashley abruptly leaves; ASHLEY HONGRY! Buddy shows up to grovel. 

Fabulous!

2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I'm dying to know what this "Life Plan" she and Buddy had

Wasn't that where they agreed to get married if they hadn't found mates by the time they were 40 or something?

I LOL'd at Ashley in her talking head earnestly saying she was so glad that Whit was 'finally dating again'-huh?

I could swear Whit actually said the tutor was French, not just living in France-?

Jessica is right; the only reason you'd go to a trainer that fat would be to watch her gradually show how she loses weight. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

My heart broke for Babs when she fell, a simple fall can really do some damage as you get older. So if Buddy has been so unreliable, why did she let him be in charge of the burgers and dogs? I think she is really going to hold him to the signed pizza box contract that under no circumstances can he have a life. Why does she care if he is gone most of the time, heck if he is still paying his rent that would be the best possible roommate. She obviously has this fear of being alone, and there is nothing shameful about that. I think she needs therapy. 

Therapy at least. most of her shit is self-inflicted.

• Love 2

What in the hell kind of re-decorating did Twit do to her house? I always thought her house was cute. Now it's just a hodge podge mess that makes no sense. Then again, I'm that person that likes rooms that have a common splash of color that flows together throughout the home.  I'm sure others would think that was boring. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, nytonc said:

She’s still saying she’s going to be a trainer???? That ship sailed 200 pounds ago. 

Exactly. She mentioned there is a lot of studying involved. Probably an exam to get her certification? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of  exam where she physically has to show if she knows how to train with weights, machines, etc.  Not gonna happen. We know how lazy she is. Shame on Jessica for encouraging Twit to do it. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Shame on Jessica for encouraging Twit to do it. 

Twit HAS to pretend to be doing SOMETHING.  This is just the latest in a long line.

Doesn't look like her brother has much going on in HIS life, either.

• Love 6

this is the last stop. Soon she won't do anything, next she can't do anything then disability.All self inflicted in the name of fat is great.I can't workup any concern for her. She had her chance. she's fucked. not in a good way.

• Love 4

I got about 10 minutes in and I think. I am done. How much can they talk about a relationship that exists entirely in Whit's head with a guy that won't even appear on camera? And god, her house is hideous.

Edited by John M
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Exactly. She mentioned there is a lot of studying involved. Probably an exam to get her certification? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of  exam where she physically has to show if she knows how to train with weights, machines, etc.  Not gonna happen. We know how lazy she is. Shame on Jessica for encouraging Twit to do it. 

If I recall correctly, she was doing online classes for it 2 seasons ago!  Then last season nothing.  It seemed to me at the time that quarantine would have been a good time to get that stuff done, but I guess if she's not doing it on camera she's not doing anything.  I have a hard time believing she would take French online just for the pleasure of knowing it and doing something productive; it's all storyline.  She's just pissed that Buddy would rather have a normal life all year long rather than lay around her house until it's time for a filming season.  As for her brother - he could have a job just like all of the friends do; we just don't get to hear about them because this show is all about Whit's hard work with NoBS active and her enviable relationships with friends and guys 🙄  😄

• Love 11