Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: My Big Fat French Crush

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

No spoilers.  Only post about the episode and what was shown on the show up until then. No info from social or other media.  And hey. let's be careful out there! 
Forum rules are here for your reading (and adherence) pleasure. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Then she has a house warming party on a day that's so cold everyone shows up wearing heavy jackets (except Whit, who seems to be wearing a tablecloth).

That scene confused me.  They all sat around bundled up like it's the middle of winter waiting for Buddy to show up at some unknown time.  It gets to be so late that Heather has to leave.  Buddy finally shows up and is shown grilling hot dogs and hamburgers.  In the next shot he's bringing them pre-made food that is clearly wrapped up.  What happened to the food he was cooking? 

Best scene of the night was her looking all around to make sure her family wasn't watching as she reclined the seat in the car and started stuffing herself with popcorn. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
58 minutes ago, princelina said:

As for her brother - he could have a job just like all of the friends do...

He was previously an actor and a female impersonator in NYC.  I doubt if he's working down at Chuckee Cheese or the local Amazon warehouse now.  No doubt he, like his sister, is now living off TLC and poor Glenn, who will never be allowed to retire.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 8

That scene confused me.  They all sat around bundled up like it's the middle of winter waiting for Buddy to show up at some unknown time.  It gets to be so late that Heather has to leave.  Buddy finally shows up and is shown grilling hot dogs and hamburgers.  In the next shot he's bringing them pre-made food that is clearly wrapped up.  What happened to the food he was cooking? 

Whitney is permanently attached to her phone. Why didn't she call or text him and find out what time he was planning to show up? And if you know he's always late, why do you have him bring the main course? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I tried to watch this last night but for some reason the channel kept pixillating out on me so I watched something else so I wouldn't get a headache. The little bits that I did see got me confused. First she's telling her friend that Buddy is living with his GF but hes paying rent so she's cool with that. And he stops by from time to time but calls first, so she's cool with that too. The next time I tuned in, she's having a cookout and Buddy is late with the meat. Why didn't she have someone else bring the meat? Then, she rips him a new one about his stuff and his mail stacked high and blabs that some of it is collection notices?? So she reads his mail too?? And what was that about "life Plan" or some such bullshit. I missed the whole thing with Chase-why would he even show up to talk about getting married to his baby momma?  And she's not looking any smaller to me. Just as an aside, my hubs took classes to be a personal trainer. They kick your ass-she would never make it. She doesn't have the mobility to train anything-well, maybe train a goldfish to stay in its bowl.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Since I have been trying to study French on line for a while now I have started to think how she could have met this guy who is either a fellow student or a tutor. I haven't heard his accent so I can't weigh in on which he is. If he is a native french speaker it would have been simple to meet him in Paris since one site offers immersion learning in France where one has the choice of staying with the tutor, or at a host family's home. Part of the experience is visiting places of interest while practicing the language. That would have been an easy way to create a story line as well as for providing plenty of photo ops.

One of the on-line learning sites I have been using not only has a message board to discuss grammar but people can comment on a particular lesson with other's weighing in. There is a spot for one's photo and I will keep an eye out for her. He might be a fellow student of the French language, or, as some people who are familiar with the language often do, drop in to clarify an issue.

The more I think about it, going to live in a tutor's house in Paris would be the ideal way of conjuring up a fake romantic relationship without sleuths being able to suss the reality.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Since I have been trying to study French on line for a while now I have started to think how she could have met this guy who is either a fellow student or a tutor. I haven't heard his accent so I can't weigh in on which he is. If he is a native french speaker it would have been simple to meet him in Paris since one site offers immersion learning in France where one has the choice of staying with the tutor, or at a host family's home. Part of the experience is visiting places of interest while practicing the language. That would have been an easy way to create a story line as well as for providing plenty of photo ops.

One of the on-line learning sites I have been using not only has a message board to discuss grammar but people can comment on a particular lesson with other's weighing in. There is a spot for one's photo and I will keep an eye out for her. He might be a fellow student of the French language, or, as some people who are familiar with the language often do, drop in to clarify an issue.

The more I think about it, going to live in a tutor's house in Paris would be the ideal way of conjuring up a fake romantic relationship without sleuths being able to suss the reality.

I was really confused by that, Whit barely speaks French at all and she says he speaks English fluently, also English is widely spoken in the EU, there is a damn tunnel under the English Channel from England to France. Sure, Received Pronunciation and General American English dialects are different, but there is absolutely no reason why a French person that is fluent in English would want to learn General American English, much less Appalachian English, which is looked down upon even in the US.

I mean I know this is all made up bullshit but this is soap opera level bullshit.

• Love 8
On 8/17/2021 at 9:27 PM, seasons said:

Lol she's going to be a trainer. Having to read a "big, hard cover book" which she hasn't managed to do yet. Mmkay.

I can tell you from personal experience that the textbook for NASM certification (which some consider the "gold standard") is about 4" thick --- maybe more --- and hardback. And VERY heavily into anatomy and physiology,  down to the different types of muscle fibers. And the exam is a bitch. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Floatingbison said:

That was some of the worst TV i've ever seen, and that's saying alot as a 90 Day Finance superfan.   

Sort of serious question:  is Buddy on some type of heavy medication?  He seems really out of it.

He must really need the money.I'm sure he is on something.How else could he stand all her stupid shit.I surprised the whole cast isn't on mushrooms.Wait- maybe they are. Producers must be so proud of this show.How could anyone take credit for this?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I was really confused by that, Whit barely speaks French at all and she says he speaks English fluently, also English is widely spoken in the EU, there is a damn tunnel under the English Channel from England to France. Sure, Received Pronunciation and General American English dialects are different, but there is absolutely no reason why a French person that is fluent in English would want to learn General American English, much less Appalachian English, which is looked down upon even in the US.

Just to clarify, the site I was mentioning has 37 languages from which to choose including Hindi, Arabic, Hawaiian. Esperanto, Navajo, Klingon and High Valyrian AND one can select what  base language to use. So, if the tutor is learning Gaelic Scottish for example he could indicate that he is an English speaking person. Don't laugh, some people do this.

One of the positive as well as negative things about the site is that it has gamified language learning. There are points, leagues, and rewards. If someone wants to maintain their status they could very well use their native language to earn points to stay in a league which was hard won.

And I don't know what prompts a native French speaker to voluntarily drop in to make a comment but there are numerous times when a sentence has started with "as a native french born speaker this would never be said or written..."

Whitney always looks for the easiest way to do anything so it is within the realm of possibility that this game-based way of learning French would appeal to her.  Although almost everyone in France speaks English I can totally relate to wanting to learn the language of a country which someone has visited and has an affinity.  It's no secret that Twit loves France - even tries to dress as a (fake) Parisien e.g. black beret. For me, it is an inexpensive way of mind-travel. As I struggle through a lesson it strengthens the link between me and the other country and reinforces the hope/ intention to travel there again.

As a native speaker of English, here is an example of a sentence I have never seen before in English: "I must absolutely pass this interview."

Edited by Me from ME
Added an example.
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

My heart broke for Babs when she fell, a simple fall can really do some damage as you get older. So if Buddy has been so unreliable, why did she let him be in charge of the burgers and dogs? I think she is really going to hold him to the signed pizza box contract that under no circumstances can he have a life. Why does she care if he is gone most of the time, heck if he is still paying his rent that would be the best possible roommate. She obviously has this fear of being alone, and there is nothing shameful about that. I think she needs therapy. 

I thought the same thing! A roommate that’s never home and pays rent??? Sign me up! It’s the fact that Buddy has the chutzpah to have a life that she can’t sabotage that really irks her.

3 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

On no it is back. Help me be strong and not watch this shit show again!

Join ussssssss! 😂😂😂

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Floatingbison said:

hat was some of the worst TV i've ever seen, and that's saying alot as a 90 Day Finance superfan.   

I can't figure out why they didn't show the most interesting part.  
She redid her house, so obviously at some point, the paint was drying.  But no, we don't see that, we see same old Whit.  
I feel cheated.

• LOL 15
  • Love 6

I thought Whitney was an asshole to Buddy. In one breath she says he pays rent and no skin off her back and the next is he's using her house as a storage unit and a place to collect mail, And what life plan do they have, their pizza box contract? LOL

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

Whit looks heavier than ever to me, but maybe I  need to go back to the early seasons for a comparison/refresher, lol. She really does have a disproportionate body shape - carries most of her weight on her bottom half.  At one point the camera panned up her backside from ground up - camera crew is not kind sometimes- to her or us viewers!!!

As for Buddy - rude to be late, but she was just awful ripping into him in front of everyone at her "dinner party".  Buddy, keep up the avoidance tactics!!!  Whit's "life plan" is to keep you around at her beck and call for as long as she can. 

• Love 8

They look similar to the ones Whitney was wearing. I also remember the tortoise ones on the top/clear bottom she wore last season. (When they showed her in the Charlotte townhome with Buddy, I think?) I think when she fixes up doing her hair and makeup....she can be very attractive. It's just that weight she carries below the neck! :>)

19 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Was she vomiting in the preview? Surely we are not going to be subjected to yet another false pregnancy?

In the first promo of her puking they were talking about freezing her eggs so I assumed we are supposed to believe it's from the hormone treatments needed for that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

In the first promo of her puking they were talking about freezing her eggs so I assumed we are supposed to believe it's from the hormone treatments needed for that.

Gonna have to have a big freezer.this is stupid.Nobody want anymore whitneys. Nobody.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

They showed that Jen of the Little Couple getting her eggs retrieved. They used a very long needle inserted through her abdomen. The area they would need to use is one of Whit's fattest areas on her body. I really doubt there is a needle long enough to insert through all of the layers of fat?

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, winsomeone said:

They showed that Jen of the Little Couple getting her eggs retrieved. They used a very long needle inserted through her abdomen. The area they would need to use is one of Whit's fattest areas on her body. I really doubt there is a needle long enough to insert through all of the layers of fat?

Hell, just use an ax.that'll work LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

So did most people make it through the whole episode?
I saw her with when Babs and Glen got vaxxed, then chatting with Ashley, Heather, and Todd, and it was so boring.
I was going to finish it the next day, but I just deleted it.

• Love 1
On 8/18/2021 at 11:41 AM, bichonblitz said:

What in the hell kind of re-decorating did Twit do to her house? I always thought her house was cute. Now it's just a hodge podge mess that makes no sense. Then again, I'm that person that likes rooms that have a common splash of color that flows together throughout the home.  I'm sure others would think that was boring. 

I know, I thought the same thing.  I always suspected she had some professional help with the first look, but this looks like she just went to town doing her own thing.  That hideous 1980s wallpaper in that outer room, what was she thinking?  It looks like something from her parents' house!  And why would anyone want to redecorate a house that was that cute?  I suppose she just has to be her.....🙄

• Love 1
On 8/18/2021 at 7:53 PM, Me from ME said:

Well, there is Covid so I don't know how simple it would be right now to meet or live with anyone in Paris.

Plus I've heard his "accent" and no-way was he a native French speaker.  I have known several French people in my life and trust me, that's not a real accent, not even close.  My mother spoke fluent French, and although an American sounded light years more authentic than this guy, to the point that my actual French friends would compliment her on her accent.  I wonder where the Twit found this dude, probably online taking an online French course.  The fact that he doesn't want his face shown speaks volumes about how "interested" in her he is.....😏

• Love 1
11 hours ago, auntjess said:

I saw her with when Babs and Glen got vaxxed, then chatting with Ashley, Heather, and Todd, and it was so boring.

I forgot it was on, and after I checked out this chat I decided not to bother watching later.  Last season I made it through roughly half the episodes & the rest I bailed on after less than 15 mins. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, auntjess said:

I fast forwarded most times she mentioned Buddy except the time she was being a good friend saying he was in collections 🙄.  This is why I never feel sorry for her.  She is a trash friend that tries to embarrass her friends when she’s not the center of attention, and I don’t even like particularly like Buddy.  I also hear she was mad Buddy wasn’t around because of their life plan.  What fucking life plan? Does she mean Buddy’s role as her permanent sandwich maker/ imaginary boyfriend. That bitch needs to stop trying to trap her friends into servitude.  She needs Life Alert not a life plan.   She’s an awful awful person. Does anyone think they even bothered to hire the ‘French guy” or is it just a random production/show person?

Also, is Hunter living with his parents now, I fast forwarded so much I wasn’t sure if they said he had a place in NC or was still “visiting” from NY or wherever he was living at one point.

• Love 11

Just wondering if the reason they're keeping Whitney's "new guy" under wraps by hiding his face, telling us he's either from or in France & disguising his voice is because they don't want this hired BF to be outed online by a friend, neighbor, co-worker, casual acquaintance, etc.  Not to mention that it has got to be such a humiliating gig.  Just a thought. 

Her credibility had to have taken a hit with the Chase debacle, even among the less skeptical.  She doesn't want that happening again.  Wonder how many emergency production staff script rewrite sessions they had after Chase told his agent that his GF was pregnant & she wasn't going to hide herself away for a stupid show, money be damned. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Snarkastikate said:

Just wondering if the reason they're keeping Whitney's "new guy" under wraps by hiding his face, telling us he's either from or in France & disguising his voice is because they don't want this hired BF to be outed online by a friend, neighbor, co-worker, casual acquaintance, etc.  Not to mention that it has got to be such a humiliating gig.  Just a thought. 

Her credibility had to have taken a hit with the Chase debacle, even among the less skeptical.  She doesn't want that happening again.  Wonder how many emergency production staff script rewrite sessions they had after Chase told his agent that his GF was pregnant & she wasn't going to hide herself away for a stupid show, money be damned. 

Yes, I believe the guy’s face is blurred to cut down on any internet detective work by viewers or as you said the person’s friends/acquaintances would reveal the person’s identity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Well, there is Covid so I don't know how simple it would be right now to meet or live with anyone in Paris.

Plus I've heard his "accent" and no-way was he a native French speaker.  I have known several French people in my life and trust me, that's not a real accent, not even close.  My mother spoke fluent French, and although an American sounded light years more authentic than this guy, to the point that my actual French friends would compliment her on her accent.  I wonder where the Twit found this dude, probably online taking an online French course.  The fact that he doesn't want his face shown speaks volumes about how "interested" in her he is.....😏

I don't think they have said he's French, but that he speaks French and lives in France. 

That hideous 1980s wallpaper in that outer room, what was she thinking? 

Maybe it's the peel and stick kind that you can pull off when you get sick of it?

2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Wallpaper is making a comeback. Just ask any overpriced interior designer. I still hate it. 

Yeah, I know I watch HGTV.  But THAT hideous wallpaper should never make a comeback.  They only just got through ripping it out of houses that older people like her parents sold before going into assisted living.....

• LOL 1
31 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't think they have said he's French, but that he speaks French and lives in France. 

In the first 30 seconds of this episode she says, "I have met a French man that lives in France".

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I know, I thought the same thing.  I always suspected she had some professional help with the first look, but this looks like she just went to town doing her own thing.  That hideous 1980s wallpaper in that outer room, what was she thinking?  It looks like something from her parents' house!  And why would anyone want to redecorate a house that was that cute?  I suppose she just has to be her.....🙄

Quoting myself here - I just took a second look at the scene where she walks through her half-redone house and noticed how much of the old furniture was missing.  She mentions needing a couch to Ashley - so where is her old furniture?  It's making me wonder if she was either renting it or maybe she sold it to Buddy or someone else.  It just seems strange that the old furniture would be gone before she got new furniture.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Why was Buddy responsible for bringing the meat? That’s rather expensive.  Why was no one else tasked with bringing food?  Whitney treated Buddy like shit when she & Chase were together and before that when she was falling all over Ryan, but now that Buddy has a serious relationship she’s all on her high horse.  On another topic, that “ tutor did not sound French to me.  She’s right about one thing, they sounded like sixth graders at a pajama party! 

image.png

• Love 3

Why was Buddy responsible for bringing the meat? That’s rather expensive.  Why was no one else tasked with bringing food?

She asked and he said he would. Still I would think as the host, she should provide the main course (actually, I'm old school and think the host should provide everything). I saw Heather and Ashley brought flowers and I thought they might have bought something else as well. Maybe sides? And Tal brought cupcakes.

• Love 6

Couldn't agree more that a good host provides the food and makes their guest feel comfortable. But, look who we are talking about. Out of a need for actually getting something to eat I would probably take some food to one of her "dinner parties". Heather never got the main course and had to leave.

Twit was so busy making fun of her Mother's hosting that she learned absolutely nothing. She is one sad, disturbed individual.

• Love 10

And once again she's throwing herself at a man who has shown ZERO interest... How inappropriate was it to ask the "French" tutor if he's sexually attracted to fat girls?  If the genders were reversed, Whit would be in jail along with all the other sexual predators.  And once again she's deluded herself that he's in love with her!

If she's too weak and dependent to live alone, she should move back home with Mawmee and Dadwee, who need supervision, and let Hunter get on with his life.

• Love 9

A thing that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit:

Whitney has a Squatti-Potti.  Think about *that* for a minute, if you dare.

I will believe in her redecorating when I see:  An accent wall made of reclaimed wood; patterned bathroom floor tile; a sliding barn door; a backsplash made of subway tile (she may already have this); white Shaker-style kitchen cabinets *see "Lakefront Bargain Hunt:  Renovation" for the complete list.

• Love 2

Just finally caught this s**t show. What a snooze fest. That sad little party that Twit threw for her barnacles. Jesus. Poor Isaiah seems like the only non-hug box member there. Ashley can miss me with her new role as ass-patter in-chief. It’s nauseating. Between her, Heather’s danger hair and the manufactured drama with the whole “French” tutor and Buddy situations - I’m even more over this show than ever before. Why TLC continues to think that Whitney’s life deserves the reality treatment is beyond me. I guess they’ve run out of polyamorous, hoarding, non-binary, super morbidly obese little people to chronicle or something? I will never understand the Thore dynamic. It’s seems so bizarre. And whoever said that poor Dad-wee will need to work until he dies is spot on. He’s got two unemployable 30-something parasites to support forever. Cuz the TLC gravy train will run out eventually and Twit will have to face up to being a 40-something woman with a train wreck past and a host of health problems suddenly devoid of enablers and asspatters. And that’s gonna be a rude awakening. 

• Love 9