Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Summer School: Chapter One

• Start Topic

SCHOOL’S OUT — With summer break around the corner, Pat (Luke Wilson) suggests the family take a vacation after seeing that Courtney (Brec Bassinger) has been spending too much time focused on being Stargirl and not enough time on her schoolwork. Meanwhile, as Beth (Anjelika Washington) attempts to reconnect with Chuck, she stumbles upon a major secret her parents have been keeping from her. Elsewhere, Yolanda (Yvette Monreal) continues to be haunted by Brainwave’s death, and Rick (Cameron Gellman) secretly tracks Solomon Grundy after suspecting he may still be in the area. 

The opening flashback was super creepy. Poor Rebecca.

Courtney’s enthusiasm hasn’t been damaged I see. Get some sleep though honey or you won’t be able to keep it going.

Zeke is nosy but I enjoyed “sometimes a man just needs a robot”. If he proves to be a good guy let him in on things so he can help.

And just like that we’ve got a Lantern!

• Love 4

It was a decent premiere. 

I probably would've chosen to start off with another flashback of the JSA vs. baddies/Eclipse than the flashback with the girl but its whatever. I understand they wanted to drive home how slow everything has been and how it's driving Courtney crazy but it felt a little slow at times. But things certainly ramped up those last 10mins of episode. Stargirl vs. Green Lanterns daughter was a great fight...Courtney will be grounded for ages after all that damage she caused to the house.

Very interested to see how a teen IJS turns out.

• Love 1

Sylvester sure is taking his sweet time to get himself to Blue Valley.  He seems really intent on learning all the juicy details of Pat's history before he gets there.

It also looks like Pat's going to need to spend that vacation money on home repairs.  Hope everything was refundable.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the season 2 premiere. A lot of callbacks to season 1, with some good setup for season 2. My one complaint would be that as much as Courtney's studied the JSA she should know anyone who could wield The Lantern isn't a bad guy. Like if you ran across someone holding Mjolnir. Just an excuse for a "the good guys fight before they team up" scene.

The only thing that worries me is the inevitable CW-ification of this show. The lack of goofy romances, love triangles, & teen angst were a nice plus to season 1.

• Love 3

We're back in Blue Valley! Courtney's continued commitment to being Stargirl bites her in the butt, landing her in summer school. Yolanda is still coping with killing Brainwave, and she can't tell anyone about it. I mean, she could talk to her parents, but they're probably still hung up on the topless selfie. If they see a murder stacked on that, Yolanda might actually be shipped to a nunnery. Beth finds out her parents are getting divorced . . . and truth be told, I'm starting to think there's more to it, because her mother sounded automated on the phone. Rick deals with a bitch history teacher, and he's been feeding what may be Solomon Grundy.

I shouldn't get hung up that last season ended on Christmas, should I? If I give that a pass, I'd have to hand-wave Courtney being eternally vigilant for six whole months. She is so sweet, but that's gotta wear on her friends. Also, did anyone else think, "Me fail English? That unpossible!"

Poor Pat. He really wanted that two-week getaway. I'm tickled that the dog broke the deadlocked vote to go. He's just so squishy! And now he's saddled with Zeke, a guy who is so evil. How evil? He went through the door that Pat clearly told him not to go through. Sinister!

Poor Artemis. Last year, I joked that her parents' fall would lead her to realize why so many of her coaches wound up missing. Nope . .  she's convinced her parents are getting the runaround.

Anyone else relieved that the cold open wound up being caused by the black diamond? There was one other answer in my geeky head and I didn't want that to happen.

The Green Lantern finally lit up! And Courtney's probably feeling vindicated about watching out for evil . . . in this case, some girl breaking into the house and ring-slapping her.

Cindy's back! Question: how come nobody thought to seal up the secret entrance to ISA HQ? She'll probably be a major antagonist. I hope she gets a better name than "Shiv." Seriously, she's probably a master of armed and unarmed combat, and she might as well call herself "Shank."

Well, that flashback scene was certainly an unexpected way to kick things off!  Almost reminded me more of Supernatural, although to be fair that partially could be because I just finished that particular series a day ago.  I guess this was mainly a way to set-up the big bad this season, which should be interesting.

Oh, Courtney!  Of course she would be so obsessed about being Stargirl and keeping a watchful eye on things that not only would she annoy both her teammates/friends and parents because of it, but end up failing not one, but two classes and now has to take summer school.  Which means the cool sounding family vacation gets canceled.  Boo!  Way to break Pat and Barbara's hearts there, Court!  Again though, this is how I imagine most teenagers would be like if they suddenly gain possession of a badass magical staff that helps you fight crime and kick butt.  I'm sure she'll grow out of it!  Someday...

Granted, the rest of JSA 2.0. seem to be dealing with their own issues as well.  Poor Yolanda is feeling guilt over the whole killing Brainwave thing which makes sense because even if it was... well, Brainwave, that was still a pretty brutal thing she had to do (even if, again, it was Brainwave.  Who was the worst.)  Then there is Beth who not only still can't bring "Chuck" back, but now finds out her parents are likely getting a divorce which throws her entire world view into chaos.  Meanwhile, Rick is.... secretly going into the woods and feeding Solomon Grundy chicken?  I mean, I think that was what was going on here.

Luke Wilson really is a perfect fit for Pat.  Pat continues to be the best.  Well... most of the time, at least.  The whole "catfight" line was ill-advised, but at least everyone else in the room was not with him there and he quickly realized he crossed a line.

Sylvester is slowly but surely making his way to the main story.

Zeek was fun, but I worry that he will either end up turning on Pat or is destined to be collateral damage at some point.

Cindy is still around and planning on creating ISA 2.0. with her, Artemis, Cameron, the Fiddler's son, and... Mike?!  Oh, boy!

The Green Lantern's daughter has crashed the party!  And pretty much destroys all of the Dugan family's kitchen as well thanks to Courtney just going into attack mode the first chance she gets.  Parenting a superhero can be tough!  All of the expenses and damaged property!

Glad the show is finally back!

• Love 2

Don't know this episode didn't really do it for me 😶. It wasn't bad or anything but I found it kinda Meh. Guess it was all that info dump on how everyone is dealing with the trauma from last season. Though it was necessary I found it slow guess I'm used to the more balance on Superman & Lois when it comes to character moments like this and the action scenes. However, I did feel like it set up the season quite nicely. 

1. The introduction to Eclipso had the effect it needed dark and scary(+ cool) he's gonna be a tough villain for the JSA to defeat that's for sure. I know nothing of him but the writers did their job i'm intrigued and scared for the kids.
  2. Oh Courtney, you're a teen I get the whole: "I have to constantly save the world for the people I love." but she has to live her life too as both Pat and her mom try to convince her this ep. She can be a hero but she can't forget to be a teen too. I guess that's her journey this season learning to be both Courtney and Stargirl in a balanced manner. I think Cameron is the key to that. 
  3. Poor Yolanda her killing Brainwave has really taken a toll to her I'm lad she told Courtney how she's been suffering since that happened. I hope Eclipso doesn't find her an easy target because of all that guilt she's carrying. 
  4. What is Rick's deal with Solomon Grundy does he want to lure him somewhere and then kill him? He is leaving him fried chicken for something. Or will he realize hatred is not the answer? hmmm(and if he did last season I don't quite remember)
  5. Why doesn't Pat just let Mike superhero in some way? It's obvious the kid needs to feel connected in some form to the rest of his family & Pat constantly pushing him out of the family business is not it. Esp since he lets Courtney be Stargirl. I get that he may be over protective of Mike in a way that he's not of Courtney but he needs to stop shutting his son out. Going by the ending(the pic) if Mike feels lonely and shut out by the rest of his family he may join the ISA. 
  6. Jade showing up and fighting with Courtney was impressive can't wait to see what she brings to the JSA as a team member.
  7. And the last question.... Will Mike and Cameron become the villains they are being teased as? Time will tell. 

Looks like next episode will be better than this one can't wait to see more of Jade. 

I hope Zeke is a fun sidekick for Pat and not  a nemesis or even just too much of an impish pest.

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

The Green Lantern's daughter has crashed the party!  And pretty much destroys all of the Dugan family's kitchen as well thanks to Courtney just going into attack mode the first chance she gets.  Parenting a superhero can be tough!  All of the expenses and damaged property!

Too bad there isn’t a Bewitched superhero to twitch their nose and restore the destroyed kitchen.   Courtney’s mom does remind me of Samantha Stevens.
Is there at least a superhero/supervillain homeowners insurance rider clause?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I hope Zeke is a fun sidekick for Pat and not  a nemesis or even just too much of an impish pest.

"Sometimes a man just needs to build a robot."

I don't know why, but that hit home--maybe for anyone who ever watched the other franchise, and said "how hard would it be to build a suit of powered armor?"  (Hard enough that no military has announced doing it successfully, for openers.)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, tvwatchergordis said:

Don't know this episode didn't really do it for me 😶. It wasn't bad or anything but I found it kinda Meh. Guess it was all that info dump on how everyone is dealing with the trauma from last season. Though it was necessary I found it slow guess I'm used to the more balance on Superman & Lois when it comes to character moments like this and the action scenes. However, I did feel like it set up the season quite nicely. 

I felt the same, no excitement until the very end, not the best way to get people excited for the return of your Superhero show.

[SNIP}

What is Rick's deal with Solomon Grundy does he want to lure him somewhere and then kill him? He is leaving him fried chicken for something. Or will he realize hatred is not the answer? hmmm(and if he did last season I don't quite remember)

There were a number of news reports of a bear that was breaking into local restaurants and stealing food. Rick is trying to keep the town safe and Solomon Grundy off the radar.

[SNIP] 

Jade showing up and fighting with Courtney was impressive can't wait to see what she brings to the JSA as a team member.

I hate when Superheroes fight first when just a few words beforehand might have prevented it, but that is TV for ya. Jade was wrong for breaking into someone's house in the middle of the night. Conveniently, nobody else in the family heard Jade walking around or the chaos that happened as Jade and Courtney proceeded to destroy the kitchen (I couldn't believe how much damage they did). The fight was long enough that they could have stretched it out showing a little bit across the entire episode with one of those "24 hours ago" time jumps (which I also hate).

• Love 2

Wonderful premiere! Courtney and Mike being hyper into the superhero business makes sense. Doing something that really has an impact can be addicting. 

Again, Beth needs better parents. My heart goes out to that kid. She's trying so hard but her parents just...don't care. Normally this is where a kid would act out but Beth just tried harder instead. God bless that child!

Speaking of God, it's good that the show remembered that Yolanda is a practicing Catholic. It's really something so rare to see on Tv these days. The Brainwave thing is really weighing on her.  

Rick and that teacher though. I wouldn't do another test like that either, that teacher was out of line. Pity Rick's uncle is trash so he won't stand up for him. I'm interested to see where this Grundy thing is going to go.

And we finally have a Green Lantern on the CW! Sorry Dig, you were too slow off the mark to be number 1. This is why you don't ignore the Guardian's calls!

18 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Poor Pat. He really wanted that two-week getaway.

Is it just me, or should Pat and the rest of them just have gone on the vacation and left Courtney some money to feed herself or something? 

Girl's old enough to fight crime, she can survive 2 weeks alone, right?

Cindy's back! Question: how come nobody thought to seal up the secret entrance to ISA HQ?

To be fair, they'd have to take down the wall to seal that door. I think they've destroyed enough school property for one year.

Edited by Diapason Untuned
  • Love 1

Is it just me, or should Pat and the rest of them just have gone on the vacation and left Courtney some money to feed herself or something? 

Or have one parent stay behind, or seeing as how both Courtney and Pat have flying gear, have them commute there on the weekends?

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Diapason Untuned said:

😳Let me count the kinds of trouble Courtney could get into on her own.
Or is that what you were thinking? Plot fodder?

• Love 2

I remember this show as being pretty light hearted, but wow that opening sequence was creepy.  I guess I forgot that this show could get pretty dark at times also.  An interesting combination.  

First show back with the new lower budget.  There seemed to be a few less action scenes, but maybe it was my imagination.  

Happy to finally get a Green Lantern.  I've always been fascinated by the Lanterns as a premise, it's such an unusual superpower.  Since we're dealing with the JSA lantern, maybe it will work a little differently, we'll have to wait and see.

• Love 2

I did like the slowish start. The adventure happened, the bad guys were gone and life got back to normal. Although the kids were still vigilant. There would be a break and maybe a false sense of security.  Nothing wrong with a watchful eye to keep tabs on Brainwave and Co. returning. Or other villains. Just time to keep the town off the radar and news coverage.

The Norwegian parents/grandparents are still around.

Wonder if redoing the kitchen is covered by insurance. There goes the vacation money!

Court’s dad sure is snoopy about Pat and his past. Pat’s new friend is a wildcard.

• Love 1

I was a bit puzzled by the parental units reaction to having a violent intruder breaking into their home and burgling it - Blame Courtney First!

So, a giant satellite dish comes up out of the football field, is brought to ruin and then, apparently, nobody in a position of authority ever investigates the site and, you know, map the tunnels, hauls away tech and files and stuff, close off entrances, set up monitors, anything? What is this, Sunnydale!?! The JSA Jr. Squad could have at least used the tunnels to get around town unseen as a part of their patrolling.

Edited by Terrafamilia
typo
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Terrafamilia said:

I was a bit puzzled by the parental units reaction to having a violent intruder breaking into their home and burgling it - Blame Courtney First!

So, a giant satellite dish comes up out of the football field, is brought to ruin and then, apparently, nobody in a position of authority ever investigates the site and, you know, map the tunnels, hauls away tech and files and stuff, close off entrances, set up monitors, anything? What is this, Sunnyvale!?! The JSA Jr. Squad could have at least used the tunnels to get around town unseen as a part of their patrolling.

I was surprised that it took the family that long to get to the main floor area. Sound sleepers!

No one from any news outlet investigates anything. No social media footage or news footage. None of the teens whips out the cellphone. 

• Love 2

I'm getting old. I was in desperate need of a S1 summary. But some things were familiar, like Beth's parents being the absolute worst and Pat being the absolute best.

Kudos to Brec Bassinger for incredible attention to detail. Courtney's face when she realizes she just destroyed the kitchen island is in the background with little lighting yet for the briefest moment she goes all 'OOPS!' And Yvette Monreal was terrific in the confessional scene.

• Love 5

That opener was so creepy, it really gave me Supernatural vibes, with the location title card, the creepy demon child, the lurking danger, it was certainly one hell of a way to start the new season. 

Great to have this show back again, it looks like it has transitioned pretty smoothly to the CW, helped by still have most of the same team, in front of the camera and behind. Everything seems to be fine now that the IJS is gone, in jail, dead, or in the wind, but the JSA is still out there itching for some justice to serve, especially Courtney. She just loves being Stargirl so much, she cannot handle this kind of downtime. Don't worry Courtney, I am sure evil is just around the corner...its probably not the new Green Lantern though. Oops!

Poor Pat, the guy just wanted to take a nice family trip. I hope that the guy in the garage will keep his secret at least, I loved his reaction to finding Pat's robot power armor. Sometimes a man just needs a robot. 

Yolanda is still really having a hard time after killing Brainwave, which is understandable, even knowing that Brainwave was a horrible terrible person. Killing someone is still a lot, especially in such a visceral way, especially as a teenager, especially as someone who's religious, especially as its all wrapped up in Henry's tragic death that she is still dealing with. In general the JSA is struggling with their post victory feels and everything else going on. Maybe everyone needs a trip to Yellowstone? 

So Cindy is starting her own ISA: The Next Generation, and she wants to recruit Mike? Oh yeah, that trip cant come soon enough. I cant wait to see where this is all going. 

• Love 4

One other detail I really liked:  Not all the crime/superhero stuff happens in Metropolis, Gotham City, etc.  Sure, some of it does; bigger city=more people, but America is a big place, with lots of people not in the cities.

Also, there was great acting across the cast.

• Love 1

Good beginning to the season.   Very creepy opener.   It’s been months since the season one finale, but Courtney is still wound tight and looking for trouble.  I like how all the kids are dealing with things in different ways.  Courtney is hyper-focused on being Stargirl, likely as a reaction to her bio-dad’s rejection.  She desperately has something to prove right now.  Yolanda is having major PTSD from having killed Brainwave.  The scene where she broke down and cried in the confessional booth was powerful.   Beth…poor Beth.  Of all of them, I almost hurt for Beth the most, because she tries so hard, and she has to be feeling so abandoned right now.  

Rick seems to be adjusting the best, other than his terrible teacher.  I think he’s trying to be kind to Grundy, in a way.  We’ll see what comes of that.  

I was a bit surprised that the family’s first reaction on finding that an intruder had broken into the house was…to blame Courtney?  I mean, yeah, maybe Courtney shouldn’t have been so quick to jump into a fight, but…..intruder!  Breaking into the house! 

Speaking of the fight, is that the first sign of budget cuts I see?  😒 It was really awkward having most of that fight out of sight.

Cindy is starting up her own ISA.   Yeah that was predictable.  I didn’t realize that was Mike’s picture she laid down last, though.  I don’t know why I didn’t recognize him. 

And Pat’s new “partner”!  Wonder where that’s going to go, but that was hilarious.  Poor Pat.

• Love 1

I forgot how thick Brec Bassinger's hair is.  That's her real super power.

Seeing the previews jogged my memory on what happens with Green Lantern's daughter.  I won't say anymore for spoiler reasons.

There is no comic or spoiler talk in the episode threads. We have other threads that are better suited for discussion and references for each and posts have been moved accordingly. The mod note explaining this policy is here so please reread before you post.

• Love 2
On 8/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, shapeshifter said:

2 dumb questions: 

1. Who are the present-day characters represented in the opening horror story?
  2. What did the mother see when she screamed?
9 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

There is no comic or spoiler talk in the episode threads. We have other threads that are better suited for discussion and references for each and posts have been moved accordingly. The mod note explaining this policy is here so please reread before you post.

I think the answer to my 2 dumb questions above were answered in posts that have been moved, but IIRC, the answer was basically: 
For those of us just watching the show and not bringing comic or spoiler knowledge to the table, we don't yet know anything more about the creepy opening scene and characters. 
Right?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

For those of us just watching the show and not bringing comic or spoiler knowledge to the table, we don't yet know anything more about the creepy opening scene and characters. 
Right?

Correct.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/11/2021 at 5:14 AM, shapeshifter said:

Too bad there isn’t a Bewitched superhero to twitch their nose and restore the destroyed kitchen.   Courtney’s mom...

A Green Lantern should be able to repair all that damage to the kitchen - unless they're playing by Old School ('Earth 2') rules where the ring is powerless on wood. Then it's - Doors? Cabinets? Buh-bye!

• Love 1

Nice and very spooky flashback!

I was bugged that the bikes used were banana seats!  Call me a purist but those bikes didn't exist in the early to mid 50s.  You would have seen something like this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/384330297855?hash=item597bdef1ff:g:n58AAOSw85JhC0-E

The girl was obviously Dr. Midnite's daughter.  Her death is what probably lead him to crime fighting and joining the JSA.

I found the contrast between how Yolanda and Rick are dealing with the fallout of the event of the finale interesting.  Rick wanted Grundy dead in the worst way, yet now he seems to be trying to make peace with him by leaving food for him.  Yolanda rightfully is feeling guilty over killing Brainwave.  Yes, he had to go, but still, killing someone isn't something one just sloughs off the soul.

I thought it VERY interesting that Mike of all people was one of those being considered for the new ISA.  Why? How?  The other kids would make sense as they are obviously second generation.  Part of me hopes that Cameron will eventually escape his father's shadow.  I don't mind if the writers change some things from the comics - keep things fresh. 

I liked Zeek!  I hope he sticks around and adds more cool stuff to S.T.R.I.P.E. .

What's up with Starman/Sylvester?  Is it really him?  I thought he'd died a decade ago?  Why come back into the picture now?  and interviewing Pat's ex?  Hmmm.

On 8/11/2021 at 4:58 PM, Terrafamilia said:

So, a giant satellite dish comes up out of the football field, is brought to ruin and then, apparently, nobody in a position of authority ever investigates the site and, you know, map the tunnels, hauls away tech and files and stuff, close off entrances, set up monitors, anything? What is this, Sunnydale!?! The JSA Jr. Squad could have at least used the tunnels to get around town unseen as a part of their patrolling.

I thought same, but I figured, where's the fun in expecting reality?  My thought were about Cindy/Shiv sneaking back into ISA HQ via school property and no surveillance or locked doors.

If Courtney had to go to summer school, why can't she go on vacation for two weeks?  Or at least do some work via computer while out of town? 

That teacher Rick had to deal with was a piece of crap!  Poor kid doesn't have any adults to rally to his defense so I can't blame him for telling her to shove it and fail him.  She should have to be able to prove he cheated.  She can't.

I'm bummed for Beth.  Bad enough "Chuck" was down, and when she gets him online, he doesn't remember her!  Then her parents splitting up!  What seemed odd was her mother's phone call.  I know some parents are oblivious and full of themselves, but it seemed out of character for her to have been so callous and dismissive.  In season 1, her parents wanted her to find friends and a purpose, but not alienate her from them. 

Edited by magicdog
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

I was bugged that the bikes used were banana seats!  Call me a purist but those bikes didn't exist in the early to mid 50s.  You would have seen something like this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/384330297855?hash=item597bdef1ff:g:n58AAOSw85JhC0-E

I didn’t notice the banana seats, but I don’t recall seeing them until the 1960s…hrmmm…let’s see…  
{Google foo}
Ah. Yes:  
First banana seat in 1963 (goneoutdoors.com/history-banana-seat-bike-5038183.html).

1 hour ago, magicdog said:

I'm bummed for Beth.  Bad enough "Chuck" was down, and when she gets him online, he doesn't remember her!  Then her parents splitting up! 

I hope this isn’t to suggest Beth is going to be ripe for ISA recruiting. At least she wasn’t among Cindy/Shiv‘s pictures for recruitment targets. 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, shapeshifter said:

2 dumb questions: 

1. Who are the present-day characters represented in the opening horror story?
  2. What did the mother see when she screamed?

Okay, only one part of my answer mentioned the comics, so I'll repost without that part:

1. We haven't seen the mother and daughter in the present day as far as we know. The name on the house was McNider, the family name of the original Doctor Midnite, Dr. Charles "Chuck" McNider. (This part no longer has a comic spoiler in it; it's been stated several times in the TV series that his last name is McNider).

2. We don't know, we didn't see what she saw. Possibly Rebecca's dead body in the same condition that the doll looked like for a moment when Rebecca first took it out of the box, when it looked like a decayed Rebecca.

On 8/11/2021 at 4:17 AM, tvwatchergordis said:

What is Rick's deal with Solomon Grundy does he want to lure him somewhere and then kill him? He is leaving him fried chicken for something. Or will he realize hatred is not the answer? hmmm(and if he did last season I don't quite remember)

Rick let Grundy go last season when Rick was in the middle of beating Grundy to death, recognizing that he was just a big, scared animal. He's likely feeding him because he feels responsible for him.

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, magicdog said:

I thought it VERY interesting that Mike of all people was one of those being considered for the new ISA.  Why? How?  The other kids would make sense as they are obviously second generation.

Keep in mind Mike wasn't in the folder of pre-existing candidates. Cindy added his picture from her black bag for her own reasons. I guess she wants to hurt Courtney, and may somehow have learned about Mike feeling left out of the family business. And if she knows he ran over Icicle, maybe she considers that a start.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Useful 1
On 8/10/2021 at 8:34 PM, Primal Slayer said:

Stargirl vs. Green Lanterns daughter was a great fight...Courtney will be grounded for ages after all that damage she caused to the house.

Courtney caused? Ms Green Lantern was an intruder in their house. A misunderstanding my butt, Courtney had every right to react the way she did. Then when said intruder fought her she fought back with equal force, which given that one has a green lantern ring and the other a cosmic staff, of course the house gets wrecked.

Poor Pat. He really wanted that two-week getaway.

And of course both of the kids didn't want to go, because nobody born in the last 30 years has ever wanted to go to Yellowstone National Park or camping or anything like that. (Even I don't know if I'm being sarcastic about that or not) At least the kids had altruistic reasons for not wanting to go even if it's "because being a superhero is 100x better than doing THIS."

On 8/11/2021 at 2:19 AM, thuganomics85 said:

this is how I imagine most teenagers would be like if they suddenly gain possession of a badass magical staff that helps you fight crime and kick butt.  I'm sure she'll grow out of it!  Someday...

What Courtney should do is train with the other JSA a couple nights a week, go on patrol once or twice a week, then if bad guys end up showing up dealing with them. If not then in a couple years when she's 18 head out to some other city with a high crime rate and kick butt there. She's being the annoying obsessive girl she was at the start of season 1 who kept treating being a superhero like a game and now she's going nuts because she's bored out of her skull and can't play the game anymore.

Poor Yolanda is feeling guilt over the whole killing Brainwave thing which makes sense because even if it was... well, Brainwave, that was still a pretty brutal thing she had to do (even if, again, it was Brainwave.  Who was the worst.)

On that note, I must not be cut out to be a superhero, because when this conversation happened not in so many words:

Yolanda: "I'm haunted by killing Brainwave."
Courtney: "Yolanda, he was BRAINWAVE."
Yolanda: "So that makes it okay?"
Courtney: "Um..."

My reaction was "YES! YES IT DOES! YES YES YES A MILLION TIMES YES! The guy was a genocidal maniac who murdered his own family and intended to personally kill millions! So YES!"

I hate how it's somehow wrong to kill villains who clearly not only deserve it but will continue to kill innocent people if you don't. It's wrong NOT to kill people like that and it takes a really warped sense of morality to think otherwise.

So I just watched season 1 on DVD and am starting on this season. The highlight of this ep was the dog aggressively voting with the parents in favor of Yellowstone. How dare you fail your classes and keep him from getting his vacation, Courtney! I also enjoyed getting Buffy flashbacks from the teenagers patrolling the town. 

On 9/6/2021 at 9:54 PM, bettername2come said:

So I just watched season 1 on DVD and am starting on this season. The highlight of this ep was the dog aggressively voting with the parents in favor of Yellowstone. How dare you fail your classes and keep him from getting his vacation, Courtney! I also enjoyed getting Buffy flashbacks from the teenagers patrolling the town. 

Welcome aboard!

Yes, indeed (on the dog and the Sunnydale-style patrolling).