Type keyword(s) to search

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

New trailer

I wasn't super sold on Kang being the next big bad guy, but I like the idea of him tempting Scott with giving him his life back. Because between prison, house arrest and the time he lost in the quantum zone it is amazing he has any relationship with his daughter at all. But I can still see him regretting not having more.

• Like 1

So now it’s Scott’s turn to screw with the multiverse via Kang. That’s going to blow up in his face badly.

Although it’s still pissing me off to no end that everyone who messes with reality gets consequences except for you-know-who…

• Like 4

One minor thing I'm curious about is how Cassie came up with that device to access the Quantum Realm without Janet knowing.  It doesn't seem like Hank or Hope would have helped her without mentioning it, so does Kang find a way to send her the info?  Should she be forming a young geniuses club with Shuri and Peter?  Or is it just an old piece of equipment that was just lying around?

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • Like 1
On 1/13/2023 at 8:49 AM, cambridgeguy said:

One minor thing I'm curious about is how Cassie came up with that device to access the Quantum Realm without Janet knowing.  It doesn't seem like Hank or Hope would have helped her without mentioning it, so does Kang find a way to send her the info?  Should she be forming a young geniuses club with Shuri and Peter?  Or is it just an old piece of equipment that was just lying around?

With her father as the smart, but not genius guy piloting Hank Pym's technology I am pretty sure the daughter will surpass him and join the next generation's genius club.

(edited)

Kevin Feige On Why Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania Is The Start Of The MCU’s Phase 5 – Exclusive
By Ben Travis   January 16, 2023
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/kevin-feige-why-ant-man-wasp-quantumania-start-of-mcu-phase-5-exclusive

... “We wanted to kick off Phase Five with Ant-Man because he’d earned that position,” Kevin Feige tells Empire in our world-exclusive Quantumania cover feature. “To not simply be the back-up or the comic relief, but to take his position at the front of the podium of the MCU.”

Part of that upgrade is pitting him against Jonathan Majors’ Kang The Conqueror – the big bad of the Multiverse Saga, who’s awaiting Ant-Man and co. in the vast, psychedelic expanse of the Quantum Realm. More than ever, Quantumania finds Ant-Man considerably out of his depth. “The first discussion we had was, ‘What if Ant-Man is accidentally in an Avengers movie by himself?” teases writer Jeff Loveness. Or as Reed himself has it: “We’re not running around the streets of San Francisco anymore. We’re fighting one of the most powerful villains in Marvel history, and maybe these are the most unlikely Avengers to be the first to go up against this guy.” One thing’s for sure: it’s going to be a hell of a step-up from Sonny Burch.

Kang Brings ‘A New Kind Of Big Bad’ To The MCU In Quantumania, Says Kevin Feige – Exclusive Image
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/kang-new-mcu-big-bad-quantumania-kevin-feige-exclusive/

ant-man-wasp-quantumania-kang-exclusive. 
“He is the obvious choice as you’re dealing with the Multiverse,” MCU boss Kevin Feige tells Empire in the world-exclusive Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania issue. “Kang allowed us to do a new kind of Big Bad. He’s a different type of villain, warring amongst themselves as much as he’s warring with our heroes.” While Kang – played by Jonathan Majors – is set to be a major concern for the MCU going forward (the next Avengers film will be 2025’s Avengers: The Kang Dynasty), Quantumania finds him trapped in the Quantum Realm – where he’ll soon have a run-in with Scott Lang, Hope van Dyne, and the wider Ant-fam. “Kang’s a very powerful person, but when we meet him he’s in a position where he needs to get that power back,” teases Feige. “He has a ship and a device that would allow him to go anywhere, and anywhen he wants if he can get it online. If only he had access to genius scientists with Pym particles.” If only, indeed…

Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania: First Look At William Jackson Harper’s Quaz – Exclusive Image
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/ant-man-wasp-quantumania-first-look-william-jackson-harper-quaz-exclusive/

ant-man-wasp-quantumania-quaz-excl.png 
... His character, simply known as ‘Quaz’, is being kept largely under wraps – but you can take a proper look at him in the exclusive image above, as seen in Empire’s world-exclusive Quantumania cover feature.

What we do know about Quaz is that he’s a telepath – and he’s pictured here with Katy M. O’Brian’s Jentorra, a freedom fighter who’s railing against injustice felt by the teeming communities living in the minuscule metropolis. Here’s hoping Quaz brings some of those Chidi-level smarts to the fight against Kang The Conqueror – Ant-Man and friends are going to need all the help they can get to escape the threat of the MCU’s new Big Bad.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | Home
Marvel Entertainment    Jan 17, 2023

Marvel Studios' Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | Tickets On Sale
Marvel Entertainment    Jan 17, 2023

The Quantum Realm Is ‘Jodorowsky’s Dune Within Marvel’, Says Quantumania Writer Jeff Loveness – Exclusive Image
By Ben Travis    Jan 16, 2023
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/quantum-realm-jodorowskys-dune-marvel-ant-man-wasp-quantumania-writer-jeff-loveness-exclusive/ 

ant-man-wasp-quantumania-quantum-realm-e 
Until now. As its title suggests, Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania is finally about to take audiences on a fantastic voyage to the simultaneously teeny and expansive dimension, introducing MCU audiences to fresh flavours of full-on cosmic psychedelia. “It’s a fun place,” teases writer Jeff Loveness. “It’s a limitless place of creation and diversity and alien life.” A touchpoint sure to make fans of out-there, eyeball-sizzling sci-fi happy? “It’s Jodorowsky’s Dune within Marvel,” he says, referencing the cult director’s legendary so-ambitious-it-was-unfilmable attempt to adapt Frank Herbert’s masterwork.

The Quantum Realm holds plenty of secrets too. Not only is Kang The Conqueror somehow trapped there, but Janet Van Dyne has a history from her years spent surviving in it – and Scott Lang, Hope, and Hank are about to find out what that is. “She does have a very rich history with Kang, and unresolved issues,” says Pfeiffer of her mysterious matriarch. “The Quantum Realm can change a person, and you can have a whole other life down there. It’s something that she hasn’t wanted to get into.” Adds Marvel boss Kevin Feige: “It’s about how these five family members deal with this environment and the new reality of what their mother/grandmother has been through, and that she’s a very, very well-known, very powerful freedom fighter in the Quantum Realm. Which none of them had any idea about until they get down there.” The secrets of the Quantum Realm are about to be spilled.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania writer says Kang the Conqueror is a "top-tier, A-list Avengers villain"
By Nick Setchfield Contributions from Fay Watson  published 2 days ago
https://www.gamesradar.com/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-kang-avengers/ 

"To me it’s all about the humanity," says screenwriter Jeff Loveness in the upcoming edition of SFX Magazine, which features Star Trek: Picard on the cover. "Obviously Thanos is a great, iconic villain, but he’s also a big purple CGI guy. He’s an alien from outer space. The thing I really wanted to lean into is that Kang is a human being."

He adds: "Kang’s also a very lonely character. We’re going to be seeing a lot of him in a lot of different ways going forward, but I really wanted to introduce the humanity and even the vulnerability of this character before he gets to such apocalyptic, Avengers-scale heights."
"Kang is a top-tier, A-list Avengers villain," Loveness teases about his direction. "What do you do when you feel you’re not enough against that? How do you step up to face the challenge of this generation, who is Thanos on an exponential level? He’s almost this infinite Thanos. I think we’re setting things up for a pretty dynamic story. As I’m building to Avengers I want it to feel like a generational struggle. Phase 4 felt like the birth of new characters. You’re giving everyone a little bit of a breath, you’re broadening out the universe, you have fun Disney Plus shows that are elevating characters. And now I think it’s time to put the pedal to the gas again, and really take all these new characters that we like and throw them into the fire."

Edited by tv echo

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | New Dynasty
Marvel Entertainment    Jan 27, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | Before
Marvel Entertainment    Jan 29, 2023

(edited)

Jimmy Fallon showed sneak peek scene from Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania...

Bill Murray Asked Kathryn Newton if He Could Join the Marvel Cinematic Universe | The Tonight Show
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon    Feb 3, 2023

Paul Rudd Presents Scott Lang's New Memoir
Marvel Entertainment   Feb 2, 2023

This book is 100% real. Pre-order your copy from Disney Books and Hyperion Avenue Books today: https://books.disney.com/book/look-out-for-the-little-guy/

Edited by tv echo

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | Red Carpet LIVE!
Marvel Entertainament   Scheduled for Feb 6, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | Emerald City
Marvel Entertainment    Feb 3, 2023

Best Of Red Carpet Moments | Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania
Marvel Entertainment    Feb 7, 2023

To watch entire live-streamed red carpet event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDWw4sAD3zY

FYI, Marvel Entertainment has posted a ton of new videos on Youtube showing red carpet interviews with cast members, director, writer and producers (I only posted the ones with Kevin Feige and Paul Rudd below):
https://www.youtube.com/c/marvel/videos

Kevin Feige Reveals More About Phase 5 And Kang At The Premiere of Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania
Marvel Entertainment    Feb 6, 2023

Paul Rudd on Traveling To The Quantum Realm in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

• Like 1

More promos....

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | Down Here
Marvel Entertainment    Feb 7, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | Kang The Conqueror

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | Battle

• Like 1
(edited)

Early media reactions...

'Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania' Early Reactions Call It the MCU's 'Star Wars'
BY ERICK MASSOTO    PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://collider.com/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-reactions-reviews-is-it-good/

‘Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania’ First Reactions Highlight Jonathan Majors’ ‘Incredible’ and ‘Badass’ Kang the Conqueror
By J. Kim Murphy, Zack Sharf    February 6, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-first-reactions-jonathan-majors-1235514409/

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA SOCIAL REACTIONS: IT'S MESSY, BUT EVERYONE LOVES JONATHAN MAJORS
POST-PREMIERE REACTIONS ON SOCIAL MEDIA SAY THIS IS LIKE MARVEL MEETS STAR WARS WITH IMPRESSIVE VISUALS AND GREAT PERFORMANCES, EVEN IF IT'S A LITTLE WEIRD FOR SOME AND TAKES A WHILE TO GET GOING.
by Christopher Campbell | February 7, 2023 
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-social-reactions-its-messy-but-everyone-loves-jonathan-majors/

Also, there are reportedly 2 post-credit scenes (one mid-credits scene, and one end-credits scene):

Edited by tv echo

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | Team
Marvel Entertainment    Feb 10, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | Visual Spectacle

Marvel Studios’ Legends | Ant-Man

Theme from "Quantumania" (From "Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania"/Audio Only)
MarvelMusicVEVO    Feb 13, 2023

This review on RottenTomatoes sums up my current attitude towards the MCU:

These days, the world’s largest entertainment franchise is capable only of churning out advertisements for itself.
--Sean Burns, North Shore Movies

Sadly, the shocking number of unfavorable reviews for this movie is somewhat of a relief for me. 
I think I have been looking for reasons to start letting the massive MCU iceberg drift off into the distance of my entertainment options. 
If Marvel wants to be a corporate content creation factory for  twelve-year-olds, more power to them.  It's probably a sound financial strategy.  In the last few years MCU movies feel far more strategic than artistic.

Out of all the MCU movies, this will only the second that we won't be going to the theater to see.
(We waited to stream Thor: L&T -- no regrets there )

(Also - I'm not really a fan of how RottenTomatoes calculates their scores:
Ten critics can be lobbied to watch a television show and say that it doesn't suck, resulting in a 100% score. 
..They just happen to be the website where most reviews can be found.. )

Edited by shrewd.buddha
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I’ve never been able to take movie critics seriously. The demographics are too homogenous to represent me and frequently they have blatant bias with not enough appreciation for pure entertainment value. The Eternals and Dark World’s rotten tomatoes critic scores are a perfect example. 

There’s a few YouTubers whose opinions tend to align with mine but mostly Marvel is still in the category of movies I want watch in the theater. Even the ones I don’t love are still entertaining enough. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I’ve never been able to take movie critics seriously. The demographics are too homogenous to represent me and frequently they have blatant bias with not enough appreciation for pure entertainment value.

I don't expect my tastes to align with the majority of the 'professional' reviewers.  Very often I don't understand why some critics fall all over themselves with regards to those art-house Oscars picks.
But I have found a few reviewers that seem to like, and dislike, the same stuff as me.  (mostly on YouTube)

People can say "you have to see it for yourself to know".  Sure.  Okay. 
I'd like to live in a world with unlimited free time, money, and no contagious diseases  ... but until that becomes my reality, I will rely on word-of-mouth and average-person reviewers.  Plus, as I get older, I can relate to those people who complain "I'll never get those 3 hours back." 

Getting back on the topic of *this* movie: It seems that most of the unfavorable reviews say that Quantumania spends too much time setting things up for Phase Five. (hate the phases - just make movies, please)

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I’ve never been able to take movie critics seriously. The demographics are too homogenous to represent me and frequently they have blatant bias with not enough appreciation for pure entertainment value. The Eternals and Dark World’s rotten tomatoes critic scores are a perfect example.

Amen.  I'm also someone who doesn't think that The Eternals and The Dark World were anywhere near as bad as they were made out to be and I'd still rather watch both of them any day of the week over a couple other Marvel movies.

@shrewd.buddha said:

Very often I don't understand why some critics fall all over themselves with regards to those art-house Oscars picks.

Amen to this, too, but that's a conversation for another thread.

I've been disappointed with the last two Marvel movies, so if this one is bad, while we'll still want to see them in a theater, they'll be relegated to discount Tuesdays at AMC instead of going out to see them one evening on opening weekend, which has been our tradition since the beginning.

*How do we do multiquotes?  I clicked on both of these and saw "multiquote" pop up in the bottom right corner, but wasn't able to click on it.  Maybe it's my server (which hates some sites and does well with others)? Or am I missing something?

• Like 1

I generally listen to Jeremy Jahns and Angry Joe (mostly Alex). Jeremy Jahns gave it a poorish review (good time if you're drunk). He did say that Kang was the best part but, it's Jonathan Majors, I'd expect nothing less.

Angry Joe hasn't reviewed yet so I don't know Alex's opinion.  

I'm in wait and see mode, unless I'm super bored on Sunday and feel like going to see it.

• Like 1

Warning: this TVLine article contains MAJOR spoilers for the movie...

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: What Does the Second Post-Credits Scene Reveal About Loki Season 2?
By Matt Webb Mitovich / February 16 2023
https://tvline.com/2023/02/16/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-post-credits-scene-loki-season-2/

Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania | Promise
Marvel Entertainment    Feb 16, 2023

Ant-Man | Marvel Studios' Legends

The Wasp | Marvel Studios' Legends

Hank & Janet | Marvel Studios' Legends

I just saw it, wow to my theater having a 9:30am showing!  

Initial impressions, Jonathan Majors killed it as Kang, as expected. 
Michelle Pfeiffer, also MVP. 

I did not enjoy new Cassie. She was maybe overwhelmed with this project and is not used to acting against so much CGI?  I did think she did well in Supernatural, as far as I remember.  
The CGI was overwhelming to me! So I can’t blame her lol. Too bad this movie was 90% CGI. 

My biggest disappointment was that at no point did Kang promise to take Scott back in time to raise young Cassie. It was heavily implied in the previews. Scott just didn’t want Kang to kill Cassie, which, still understandable.  
What can I say, Paul Rudd will always get me in the theater.   Overall I enjoyed the weirdness. 

• Like 2

Phase 5 kicking things off with the MCU's second "rotten" film ever, baby!

But like with Eternals though, I once again found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would and while there are flaws that I will address, I still don't think it was anywhere close to being bad.  Will certainly put it over the likes of Multiverse of Madness and Love & Thunder and some of the earlier work (Dark World and Iron Man 2), so I don't know if people are just getting more critical now than compared to previous years, or I'm just that easy of a MCU mark now.  But I really had fun here, was intrigued by some of the set-ups and hints of what is to come, and enjoying seeing the gang again.

Part of it is just because I continue to really adore Paul Rudd as Scott Lang.  Along with Tom Holland as Peter Parker, Rudd really does capture the idea of an "everyman" getting put into these kind of situations and rising up and being the hero that everyone needs.  While I did miss some of the aspects of the previous films where the obstacles where smaller (sorry) compared to other MCU films, I still loved watching him getting tossed into the Quantum Realm and handle everything thrown at him with grace, guts, humor, and, yes, heart that Rudd excels at.  I don't care if his stories are arguably considered B-level: the Ant-Man character and his series might actually be one of the more consistent parts about the MCU.  I hope Scott keeps sticking around as long as Paul Rudd wants too!

I was also glad to get a lot more of Michelle Pfeiffer this go around and I thought Jane came close to stealing the show.  She played off the rest of the originals really well, and her scenes with Jonathan Majors were top notch.  I certainly hope we see more of Janet Van Dyne in the MCU!

Not surprised that Jonathan Majors crushed it as Kang (or at least this version of the character.)  It's been a wild seeing him blow up like he has these past few years and I can't wait to see him go forward as the next big baddie of the MCU!

Did notice that Hope seem kind of insignificant this go around.  She technically had a lot of screen time, but I noticed she didn't really have a lot of dialogue or major moments and was just there to stand beside whoever was talking or focused on.  I wonder if the film just got too crowded or they phased her out a little due to Evangeline Lilly apparently saying some controversial stuff in real life from what I heard.  Even Hank seemed to play a bigger role here (granted, that could because Michael Douglas knows how to make the most of his screen time.)

Kind of agree with some of the Star Wars comparisons, because the overall story did have a similar "Rebel Alliance vs. the Empire" vibe, and all of the world-building, locations, and creatures here really gave off that vibe.  I kind of dug it.

Loved seeing William Jackson Harper, even if I thought his role was kind of minor for someone of his talents.  Also got a kick out of seeing Katy M. O'Brian as Jentorra, since she's kind of paved herself a spot on television with playing solider-like badasses (Black Lightning, The Mandalorian, and even Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D.), so it was a blast seeing her go full warrior queen here.

Corey Stoll returning as Darrien Cross as the MCU's M.O.D.O.K. was a sight to behold.  He looked ridiculous, but it clearly looked like that was what they were going for.  To be fair, I'm not sure if there would have been any way to not make a live action M.O.D.O.K look silly.

Cast wise, I thought the only real weakness was Kathryn Newton as Cassie.  I've liked her in other things (mainly know her as Claire on Supernatural), but she didn't seem to gel with anyone here, which was surprising since Rudd in particular usually has chemistry with everyone.  Certainly not awful, but it made Cassie one of the weaker introductions for the MCU's "next generation" (Yelena, Kate Bishop, Kamala Khan, America Chavez, arguably Jennifer/She-Hulk, etc.)

Bummed we didn't get any of Luis, but at least we got a Jimmy Woo sighting!

Did think the direction and editing was all over the place: the latter part in particular gave off the sense it had to compensate and work around issues because of the former.  I have a soft spot for Peyton Reed because I do know he started out at a disadvantage with fans due to not being Edgar Wright and I thought he directed the other two films well, but I wonder if maybe they did need someone who could handle the spectacle aspects better.

The final end credits really make me excited for the next season of Loki!

Again, I can see why some might be turned off by this film's flaws and I'm all for the criticism, but I'm already tired of the doom & gloom and once again asking if this is the beginning of the end of the MCU, because I honestly thought it was a fun and solid start for the next phase.

• Like 12
On 2/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

I don't expect my tastes to align with the majority of the 'professional' reviewers.  Very often I don't understand why some critics fall all over themselves with regards to those art-house Oscars picks.
But I have found a few reviewers that seem to like, and dislike, the same stuff as me.  (mostly on YouTube)

Same here.  I'm not one to follow "critics" in general, but you can find a few you learn to trust who generally share similar opinions to yours since, as you point out, you simply can't just go see everything for yourself, & the ones I do follow are very let down by this, even though they had high hopes for it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Again, I can see why some might be turned off by this film's flaws and I'm all for the criticism, but I'm already tired of the doom & gloom and once again asking if this is the beginning of the end of the MCU, because I honestly thought it was a fun and solid start for the next phase.

Apparently @thuganomics85 is an Aiming variant, because this is pretty much my takeaway from the movie. Not the best, not the worst and Kang kicked ass, literally and figuratively.

My Rule 32s

1. Krylar needling Hank about nailing Janet.
  2. Of course Scott listens to his own audiobook.
  3. The gelatinous blob really making use of his holes.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Will certainly put it over the likes of Multiverse of Madness and Love & Thunder

Am I the only one that liked Love and Thunder? It was for sure better than Multiverse of Madness.

I just think I’m going to wait for this to be on streaming.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3

I liked this a lot better than the latest Thor movie. 

I wish Janet was more forthcoming about her experiences in the Quantum realm, the team could have been more prepared about what they would face.  Even though Kang's actions were terrible, I'm worried about what the others will bring to the table!  The glimpses of the variants made me excited.  I was expecting them to all look the same, but I forgot about the Loki variants.

I was a bit surprised they went into detail about Janet's and Hank's escapades while they were separated.  It's something I never thought about. 

I was expecting for someone to be killed, but I'm glad that wasn't the case. I thought that Scott and Hope would end up trapped in the Quantum realm, so I was surprised when Cassie was able to bring them back so easily.

• Like 4

My thoughts.

The coffee shop owner getting Scott mixed up with Spiderman.  If Doctor Strange's spell worked and no one remembers Peter Parker as Spiderman, why would the old man say to Scott that his money isn't good here and say he's spiderman. Scott clearly tells everyone he's Antman. Why would the old man think he's Spidy when no one knows Spidy's identity?

Didn't Scott spend like 30 minutes of his time in the Quantum realm while it really was like 5 years or something?  You're telling me he hung out waiting for 1/2 hour and didn't panic and no one came after him?

Kang as a villain is a one dimensional flat character. No offense to Jonathan Majors because the man only has what the writers provided for him but Kang sucks.  At least Thanos had layers.

It wasn't a very strong film and I think the Marvel universe is in jeopardy. It had a few decent fighting scenes but boring storyline overall. The main characters, Rudd, Lily, Douglas, Pfeiffer and Newton are decent and able to do their thing and play well off eachother.  It was nice to see Randall Park and Bill Murray.  The Darren character was stupid except for Cassie to say "don't be a dick!"  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

My biggest complaint is the lack of familiar minor characters. Like, I would've liked to see Cassie's mom and stepdad, more than a cameo of Agent Woo, maybe a nice Luis recap. I loved seeing William Jackson Harper as someone besides Chidi. I thought the performances were great. Not really familiar with Jonathan Majors' prior work, but I thought he was good here. I got so excited to see Ryan Bergara had a cameo paying for Scott and Woo's lunch. 

"It's never too late to stop being a dick" is a good moral of the story and very fitting.

• Like 6

Starting off with the good:  The cast here is super strong, Majors and Douglas the most for me, but everyone here looked like they know what type of movie they were in.  I've heard some rumblings here and there about Kathryn Newton but I honestly thought she was fine and/or didn't seem out of place.

That said, I feel like how much one enjoys this one will be contingent on how the jokes land for that person.  I didn't love the Darren stuff (and I really never asked for that callback) but humor is subjective so it's likely others will.  For me, that was a pretty decent chunk of the movie that didn't hit.  I think my biggest disappointment at the end of day is that this just didn't feel like an Ant-Man movie.  I liked the heist--almost low stakes--elements of the first two and we really didn't get that here.  And another thing that I think is so fun about the first two is how they are able to play with the changing perspectives with all the constant shrinking and growing.  It gave them a lot of creative fodder like Scott and Darren's fight on the train set during the first one.  However, since the vast majority of this took place in the quantum realm where we don't have that real world perspective, we didn't get as much of that at we had previously.

Much has been made about "the formula" and the MCU either deviating or sticking to it.  ("We should appreciate movie X because it breaks 'the formula.'"  "Movie Y is fine but it follows 'the formula' too closely.")  Personally, I don't subscribe to that particular narrative because "the formula" has been around pretty much since the dawn of storytelling.  Good stories that utilize it find a way to make something their own while lazy ones don't.  For me, I don't think this movie does enough to set itself apart.*  And the things that maybe it tries to do just didn't land for me.

*I would have loved more things like the cute bonding moment between Scott and Cassie about how becoming giant makes you crave citrus.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, greekmom said:

My thoughts.

The coffee shop owner getting Scott mixed up with Spiderman.  If Doctor Strange's spell worked and no one remembers Peter Parker as Spiderman, why would the old man say to Scott that his money isn't good here and say he's spiderman. Scott clearly tells everyone he's Antman. Why would the old man think he's Spidy when no one knows Spidy's identity?

I thought that spell meant that people just didn’t know Peter was Spider-man, not that they forgot the existence of Spider-man altogether?

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I thought that spell meant that people just didn’t know Peter was Spider-man, not that they forgot the existence of Spider-man altogether?

Right. So why would the coffee shop owner think he's Spiderman if NO ONE knows who exactly Spiderman is?

If the owner just thinks that Scott can possibly be Spiderman, then he would assume that with every guy who comes in with the same build/height as Peter and grab a free coffee.

Edited by greekmom
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Starting off with the good:  The cast here is super strong, Majors and Douglas the most for me, but everyone here looked like they know what type of movie they were in.  I've heard some rumblings here and there about Kathryn Newton but I honestly thought she was fine and/or didn't seem out of place.

That said, I feel like how much one enjoys this one will be contingent on how the jokes land for that person.  I didn't love the Darren stuff (and I really never asked for that callback) but humor is subjective so it's likely others will.  For me, that was a pretty decent chunk of the movie that didn't hit.  I think my biggest disappointment at the end of day is that this just didn't feel like an Ant-Man movie.  I liked the heist--almost low stakes--elements of the first two and we really didn't get that here.  And another thing that I think is so fun about the first two is how they are able to play with the changing perspectives with all the constant shrinking and growing.  It gave them a lot of creative fodder like Scott and Darren's fight on the train set during the first one.  However, since the vast majority of this took place in the quantum realm where we don't have that real world perspective, we didn't get as much of that at we had previously.

Much has been made about "the formula" and the MCU either deviating or sticking to it.  ("We should appreciate movie X because it breaks 'the formula.'"  "Movie Y is fine but it follows 'the formula' too closely.")  Personally, I don't subscribe to that particular narrative because "the formula" has been around pretty much since the dawn of storytelling.  Good stories that utilize it find a way to make something their own while lazy ones don't.  For me, I don't think this movie does enough to set itself apart.*  And the things that maybe it tries to do just didn't land for me.

*I would have loved more things like the cute bonding moment between Scott and Cassie about how becoming giant makes you crave citrus.

This is exactly how I felt about it, but couldn't quite put it into words.  I liked it, but I didn't love it.  I felt like there was too much in the quantum realm and would like to have seen those bonding moments in our world before they went in. 

I also didn't like the foreshadowing by Scott at the end--that whole monologue where he was questioning if he did the right thing or made it worse.  Maybe one or two throw away lines would have been ok, but there was it was too much, imo.  That's what the end credit scenes are for--to get us excited for what's next.  Because of that, I found the one at the very end better than the mid-credit scene.

• Like 2

I just figured the old man heard Ant-Man, thought bug, misconstrued him with Spidey and Scott's too nice to correct him, after the first 5 times he probably corrected him. Spidey has the better reputation, he's a neighbor and friendly, that's reached San Francisco, and when old man realized he was Ant-Man, while still a hero, he's no Spidey and has to pay full price. 

I'm sure I put more thought into that interaction than was necessary.

I enjoyed it enough. Could have watched an entire move of MP and JM talking and doing science. I liked that the beings in the quantum realm were varied and not only human with different skin color/texture. Pink goo guy was great. The sentient buildings were cool, too. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

Right. So why would the coffee shop owner think he's Spiderman if NO ONE knows who exactly Spiderman is?

If the owner just thinks that Scott can possibly be Spiderman, then he would assume that with every guy who comes in with the same build/height as Peter and grab a free coffee.

I don’t think it’s that complicated- he recognizes that Scott is a superhero, he just says the wrong (more well known) name.  It’s just a joke about Scott not being quite as famous as he thinks.  It would be like if actual Paul Rudd was in the shop, and the coffee guy said, “thanks Ben Affleck” - right profession, wrong ID.  Fwiw, I’ve seen articles about how the coffee guy was also in a Netflix show playing a focus group member.  I haven’t watched it myself, but this gag might be a reference to that.

Overall, I liked this film.  I think I get why it has the critical reception that it does- but perhaps the stuff I liked about it just overshadowed the negatives.  Maybe I’ll do a separate post about exactly what was good vs. bad- but for now I just wanted to talk about the best scene in the movie for me, the ending fight between Scott and Kang.  It felt real in a way that an MCU finale hasn’t in a while.  Maybe it was the blood?

For example, I enjoyed Shuri vs Namor, and their conflict felt really personal.  But comparatively, it lacked the stakes of this fight - and I think it comes down to the physicality of it.  Like, she basically walked off getting impaled.  Scott gets beat up here in a way that we haven’t seen since… MCU Peter vs Goblin?  Cap vs Thanos?  Perhaps Shuri’s fight was more about whether she would follow T’Challa’s path, or Killmonger’s - but it never really seemed like she wouldn’t come out on top.  Here it felt like Scott might actually have to sacrifice himself to defeat Kang, which really brought an extra layer of tension to the fight.

• Like 8

" . .  .and so that's how I saved the Microverse from the evil Kang. Quantumverse? Whatever. But wait . . . he said that he was the only one in the way of an oncoming danger. If I took him out, does that mean something more dangerous than Thanos would endanger us? Well, then we'd call the Avengers . . . except two of the main ones are dead and retired, and I'm barely above that Star-Lord in not being a total dumbass. And these Marvel movies aren't hitting as hard as they used to. Not like anyone was clamoring for Yellowjacket to return, let alone get transformed into a joke like MODOK. Could . . . could this be the end of the MCU? The end of franchises?!? Would I have to star in regular movies and romcoms, where the only stakes would be getting the girl? Has the bubble truly burst?!??

" . . .

"NAAAAAAAAAHHHHH. Nothing a shit-ton of Kangs cant fix! And we got two of 'em as Rama-Tut and Immortus, so you know the diehard fans will keep coming back for their dose of crack cocaine that is the MCU!"

Am I being too cynical? Yeah, the MCU might need to come to an end, but I'd add the word "eventually" and toss in the crumbling pyre that is the DCEU. For a movie where only three worthwhile supporting characters were brand new and memorable (the warrior princess, the mind-reader, Bill Murray), I'd say this was a good movie. Probably could have been more of a tale about Janet's PTSD from the Microverse, but we're not paying gobs of money to see Michelle Pfeiffer, are we?

Oh, and I don't have Disney+, so seeing Kang as what I'm assuming is Phineas Horton didn't do much for me. I might be the only person on the planet that watches the movies but hasn't seen the TV shows.

I also never got around to seeing MODOK, but I'm thinking Patton Oswalt should have been the only one. Who was the main bad guy in AMATW? What role will be smooshed into down the road? As deadly as MODOK could be, he's probably doomed to be a joke character . . . the guy you trot out to be menacing, only for the heroes to stomp on him and make fun of his tiny limbs.

I got an old collection of Avengers Forever. I should try and read the issue focusing on Kang in one shot. When you need a biography written in 22 pages with so many disparate branches, Kurt Busiek is your writer. And then Iron Lad came along to complicate that even further.

• Like 2

We saw this earlier today and I really liked it. It's not going to rank super high on my list of favorite Marvel movies, but after the mess and disappointment of Phase 4, this felt like Marvel getting back to actually having a cinematic universe again.

Maybe I'm biased because I always liked the interconnectivity and that each movie/show felt like a chapter in a larger story. Phase 4 lost that feeling of cohesion for me so to have this kick off Phase 5 and introduce Kang was a relief. Maybe I just like the formula more than most, I don't know. 

My biggest complaint is that I would have liked a bigger scene with Jimmy Woo, and would have liked to see the supporting characters from previous films make an appearance- even if just a cameo from Judy Greer and Bobby Cannavale at Cassie's fake birthday at the end. Also Luis. We needed a scene with Luis. 

I could have done without Bill Murray's character. I wonder if they cut his material. His only purpose was to show up, needle Hank and Janet, and then lose his ship to them. 

The cast was pretty good overall. I don't have strong feelings about new Cassie either way. I've never been a fan of Evangeline Lilly so she's always just been kind of there in there movies. It was super fun to get to see Janet kick some ass - and she and Jonathan Majors were great together. Michael Douglas and Paul Rudd are always enjoyable. I was honestly a little worried they might kill Scott off at the end to keep Kang trapped, and I'm glad they didn't. 

I'm a little surprised this one is so poorly received. While it didn't blow me away, I thought it was a massive step up from most of the last phase (with exceptions for No Way Home and Shang-Chi, and WandaVision, if counting the TV series).

• Like 6

Ant-Man and the Wasp a solid three for three likes for me. I do wonder why the three X-Cons were dropped in favor of Baskin Robbins time, did Disney make that much in product placement? They were missed. 

I think the movie felt most like a good episode of Farscape. And Hank Pym's swagger after Kang snarked about talking to ants was the bit of the movie.  With the "I died an Avenger" that term really carries respect in the MCU earth. How will the Fantastic Four, Defenders,  X-Men and others ever be able to compete?

• Like 5

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Projected at $104M/$118M+ (3-Day/4-Day Domestic), $225M Globally though Sunday
Shawn Robbins • February 19 2023
https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-estimates-ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-projected-at-104m-118m-3-day-4-day-225m-globally-though-sunday/ 

Sunday Report: Disney’s studio estimates this morning point to a $104 million three-day and $118 million domestic four-day opening haul by Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania over this Presidents Day weekend.

That marks the third highest debut ever for the holiday frame and February overall, plus the month’s biggest debut in five years since record-holder Black Panther ($202 million three-day). 2016’s Deadpool also bowed to $132.4 million over its three-day holiday start.

Furthermore, Quantumania is living up to the hype as 2023’s first major tentpole release on the back of the Marvel brand name and a marketing campaign that successfully sold to audiences as an event release. The third film in the Ant-Man subset of Marvel Cinematic Universe films is the first of its namesake to eclipse nine digits on opening weekend, surpassing 2018’s Ant-Man and the Wasp ($75.8 million) by an estimated 37 percent in raw dollar figures.
Despite now standing as the lowest reviewed (by critics) MCU film to date at 48 percent, the audience score is a much more positive 84 percent at the moment.

How to Survive the Quantum Realm | Marvel Studios' Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania
Marvel Entertainment   Feb 17, 2023

Edited by tv echo

Director Peyton Reed on His Marvel Future and Creating Kang the Conqueror with Jonathan Majors
BY TAMERA JONES    FEBRUARY 19, 2023
https://collider.com/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-director-peyton-reed-interview/ 

Do you envision another Ant-Man movie in your future? Or have you seen the other Marvel movies that have been announced and you're like, “I kind of want to play in one of those sandboxes.”?
REED: It’s interesting because, you know, I'm superstitious about this stuff, right? I mean, when we were doing the first Ant-Man there was certainly no guarantee we were going to get to make a second one. And even after the second one, there was no guarantee. When we finally announced that, “Okay, we're gonna make Quantumania, we're gonna get to do this,” it was marshaling all the forces onto that because we knew if we're gonna get to do a third one, it's gotta be something altogether different. We gotta show the audience something different.

For me, it was the Quantum Realm, of being able to create that whole world, worlds within worlds, and answer those questions. What the hell was Janet Van Dyne doing down there for 30 years? And also, to kick off Phase 5, to introduce Kang the Conqueror with Jonathan [Majors].

So I was focused on that thing. Now that the trilogy is done, who knows? Again, years ago – you and I have talked about this before – I developed Fantastic Four like 20 years ago. I channeled a lot of my Fantastic Four love into the Ant-Man world, and specifically into Quantumania. You know, it's no mistake that both are kind of dysfunctional families of superheroes, and in Fantastic four they may go into the Negative Zone, we went to the Quantum Realm. I really scratched that itch with these movies.
So are you interested in doing one of the other upcoming Marvel things, or do you want to play in another sandbox?
REED: I want to play in a lot of different sandboxes. I would never say no to a future doing stuff at Marvel. I mean, I've loved my time at Marvel, I love the people in Marvel, and I love what they've been able to do. It's strange because 2014 is not that long ago, but the idea of this interconnected universe of movies is a relatively new idea. At that time, right after Iron Man, it was like, “This is weird and kind of revolutionary.” People forget that. Now they just take it for granted.

I think with Ant-Man, because he played in the margins of the MCU for so long, right? He wasn't a proper Avenger for a long time. That gave me freedom to not have to… We really didn't deal with Infinity Stones in those movies. And then with this, we were given free rein. No other Marvel movie was doing Quantum Realm. So that was our playing field that we could introduce some characters from the comic books – Jentorra – and then other ones: Quaz and Veb that we just created out of whole cloth. We had a bunch of freedom. But yeah, I would definitely come back to Marvel.

I know you love the comics, and I know the X-Men and other characters are being introduced in the not-so-distant future, and I'm just thinking about you as a fan, being able to play.
REED: Yeah, I think so, I mean it would have to be the right thing. I'm not an X-Men guy. Jeff Loveness, he's an X-Men guy. I love the X-Men, I love watching X-Men movies. I don't want to make an X-Men movie.
I love Jonathan Majors as Kang, and I love his delivery in the movie, very calm, and it's perfect. Did he come up with that delivery? Was it a team? How did that get figured out?
REED: Jonathan and I spent a lot of time together over Zoom, and finally in person, long before we shot a frame of the movie. We talked about what it would be like to be in the presence of Kang the Conqueror who doesn't live in a straight line, and experiences time in an entirely different way, and in fact, has almost infinite experiences. He says to Scott, “You're an Avenger? Have I killed you before?” It's like, “Wait, holy shit, you've battled the Avengers before? Were they variants of Avengers, and you've done it so many times, you can't quite remember?” That's scary. That's a whole new flavor for an antagonist in one of these movies.

We also talked about, “What would it be like to converse with that guy?” And the idea that he experiences time in a way that there's not one bit of wasted energy. He moves in a very deliberate way, and when he speaks, you know there's an economy of words. If he says something, he means it. We love the idea of putting that energy up against Paul Rudd who, whether he's joking around or he's nervous, he's gonna try and joke his way out of a situation, and Kang is not having that.

But Jonathan and I spent a lot of time, and we talked about Alexander the Great, and we talked about Napoleon, and we talked about real-world conquerors. And then we also talked about trauma, and as human beings who live in a straight line, human beings experience trauma. Well, what if this guy has experienced multiple, almost unending trauma? We like the idea of Kang being kind of a broken man, right? A man out of time, but also this guy's seen some shit, right? He's been through a lot. Also, we talked about connection, and in the movie, the Ant-Man movies have always been about family. Scott and Hope, Hank and Janet and Cassie, they all have each other, right? They’re this unit. And Kang is a man alone. And what does connection and attachment mean to a being like that?

We love the idea, as we explore this backstory, about Janet and Kang's time together in the Quantum Realm. That maybe this relationship with Janet, whatever it is, two people who are stranded and working for a common goal of getting out, maybe that's the closest connection he's ever had to another being. When she finds out his true nature, she feels betrayed by, “This is not who you said you were,” but he also feels betrayed because he said, “I'll get you out of here. I made a promise and she's not gonna accept that bargain.” So there's this mutual betrayal, and we love that idea. Here we have a powerful villain, like all great villains, we kind of understand his point of view, maybe even empathize with it a little bit as we hate him, and realize he's a bad guy. But we also have a personal connection with this villain, right? This whole backstory with Janet, and that seems really rich to us.

Edited by tv echo
On 2/18/2023 at 3:17 PM, greekmom said:

Kang as a villain is a one dimensional flat character. No offense to Jonathan Majors because the man only has what the writers provided for him but Kang sucks.  At least Thanos had layers.

It might be a replay of Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness  and WandaVision subscribe to  Disney +  to watch the TV shows  with the "wait what's happening here" feelings since Kang's layers are in the multiple Kang's, first seen in Loki thus the end credits scene.

I thought it strange that after Janet admitted to her relationship with Bill Murray's alien  Krylar  it  seemed as if her relationship with a pre conqueror Kang was purely platonic. She seemed to be in the same situation as Agent Jemma Simmons and Hydra Will Daniels in the  4722 hours episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Not offending multinational sensibilities may have struck  again even if Disney has been accused as being woke over all

• Like 3