Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E08: Wild Card #3; Nominations # 3

• Start Topic

I love it when a well-crafted, intricate plan in BB completely implodes.  For that reason, I'm kind of hoping that Whitney wins Veto on Wed., takes Brent down, and X is left with only his (many!) alliance members to choose from to nominate.

Also, I fully plan to avoid the live feeds this week, as we're getting enough rain in Atlanta so I don't need to watch Britini's waterworks for another week!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

I really enjoyed the episode. I liked the way there was so much strategy and plotting without any real meanness. For once I believe it's not personal. 

I understood Azah better after watching this episode. I don't think she's objecting to the strategic way BB is played, she just doesn't want it to be Britini again. Looking at Britini's face after the noms, you can see why. And Azah knows she'll be picking up the pieces. 

From Britini's POV, she must wonder why she keeps being targeted. But from a game standpoint it makes sense. 

ETA Did Brent ever get burned by the edit tonight! I feel bad about how funny I found it. He is NOT popular, except in his own mind. 

My favourite moment of the show, though, was Alyssa, Christian and X dancing in front of the mirror. 

Oh, and "He might think he's all that and a bag of chips, but he's barely a cracker!" 

Edited by Melina22
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
(edited)

So, is Hannah in The Cookout, or not?

I see no reason why she shouldn't be (Kyland is biracial, too), assuming that it's essentially a race-based alliance.  But every time the show spotlights the members, either by naming them or doing quick cuts to show them on-screen, she's omitted.  And yet, Xavier never once considered her for nominations.

I suppose it's possible that the show has forgotten she's in the House, but still…

Derex isn't annoying me yet, but I can feel it coming.  Every move he makes is over-calculated and most are unnecessary.  Bending to Frenchie's whims to backdoor Travis in Week 1, not throwing the Week 2 Veto when the last thing you want is a rep as a comp beast, and now he's thrown two comps in two days, and blatantly orchestrated the results of the Wild Card, all to try and terminate one of his own teammates?  Sheesh.  Take it easy, "genius".

And all because of a "danger" (winning might give Brent safety) that was clearly miniscule.  If the Week 1 Wild Card decision was different from the Week 2, the odds are very good that Week 3 will also be different.

It would serve him right if Whitney won Veto, took Brent down, and all of a sudden Xavier realized that his renom choices were the three Queens, three members of The Cookout…and Derek.   Try to talk your way out of that one, mastermind.

Xavier also fell a bit in my eyes.  You're gonna try and claim Brent as a pawn when he already told you to your face that nobody would believe that?  Sheesh.  And don't think your "clever" speech about how nominating Brent ensures that "the person" you're targeting goes home.  He can see through that, too.

All so unnecessary.  Just say that the Aces are the only team that hasn't had anyone nominated yet and name two of them.  Easy-peasy.

Azah obviously made a mistake volunteering as a pawn (NEVER volunteer as a pawn!) but I can see why she did it.  Britini had, however inadvertently, implemented basic Pawn Strategy last week:  be devastated enough to earn sympathy.  I don't know why X couldn't have refused to put her up, but said he'd look into other, non-Britini alterantives.  But it seems he doesn't want to vary from his chosen path, no matter what.

There's "keeping it simple"…and then there's just being stubborn.  JMO.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 7

I'm trying to remember the last time an obvious Alpha male threat was skewered this much by the edit. Brent went from The Second Coming of Cody to Mr. Not-Quite-As-Pectacular in a few days. Amazing.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

So, is Hannah in The Cookout, or not?

I see no reason why she shouldn't be (Kyland is biracial, too), assuming that it's essentially a race-based alliance.  But every time the show spotlights the members, either by naming them or doing quick cuts to show them on-screen, she's omitted.  And yet, Xavier never once considered her for nominations.

I suppose it's possible that the show has forgotten she's in the House, but still…

Derex isn't annoying me yet, but I can feel it coming.  Every move he makes is over-calculated and most are unnecessary.  Bending to Frenchie's whims to backdoor Travis in Week 1, not throwing the Week 2 Veto when the last thing you want is a rep as a comp beast, and now he's thrown two comps in two days, and blatantly orchestrated the results of the Wild Card, all to try and terminate one of his own teammates?  Sheesh.  Take it easy, "genius".

And all because of a "danger" (winning might give Brent safety) that was clearly miniscule.  If the Week 1 Wild Card decision was different from the Week 2, the odds are very good that Week 3 will also be different.

It would serve him right if Whitney won Veto, took Brent down, and all of a sudden Xavier realized that his renom choices were the three Queens, three members of The Cookout…and Derek.   Try to talk your way out of that one, mastermind.

Xavier also fell a bit in my eyes.  You're gonna try and claim Brent as a pawn when he already told you to your face that nobody would believe that?  Sheesh.  And don't think your "clever" speech about how nominating Brent ensures that "the person" you're targeting goes home.  He can see through that, too.

All so unnecessary.  Just say that the Aces are the only team that hasn't had anyone nominated yet and name two of them.  Easy-peasy.

Azah obviously made a mistake volunteering as a pawn (NEVER volunteer as a pawn!) but I can see why she did it.  Britini had, however inadvertently, implemented basic Pawn Strategy last week:  be devastated enough to earn sympathy.  I don't know why X couldn't have refused to put her up, but said he'd look into other, non-Britini alterantives.  But it seems he doesn't want to vary from his chosen path, no matter what.

There's "keeping it simple"…and then there's just being stubborn.  JMO.

I think she’s kind of in the Cookout but Azah and Derek F don’t really include her in a lot of things. It’s a bit puzzling, as I think she’d be more loyal to that alliance than to most other alliances she’s been considered for! Then again, Derek F hasn’t really made much sense with most things he’s done this season.

Edited by jsm1125
  • Love 3

I too missed the 'throw' last work, well done.

I think X even going to Brent about the whole pawn nonsense was a big misstep. Yes, we want that strong and powerful social gamer and comp beast Britni out this week! So, of all the people available (in Brent's mind, not X's plan) to be a pawn it'll be you. Yeah right. If you have the numbers which it seems he does there is no need to "calm" Brent down this week because a non-calm Brent can't change the votes. If you wanted him all chill and unknowing then back door him. The pawn talk was just a major red flag.

The problem is he, like Brandon before him, has promised safety to too many people! I wouldn't, however, take Azah up on her proposal either as I think that's playing too emotionally and it would make me count on her less when chips are down to make another emotion-based decision and that's dangerous.

I don't see the Cookout staying together, too many cracks already.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Britney "Didn't even have a shot" to win the WildCard competition?  LOL she had more than a shot, she should have won.

I thought Derek had played WC already but it just seems that he always plays POV.  Haha.

I know we always say this, but Azah is gorgeous, damn.

X is ridiculous telling everyone his plans like a damn incompetent Bond villain.  JUST DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Sarah Beth:  "I think that Christian might like Alyssa."  Is she kidding?  Was she being coy on purpose?  It's one of the most blatant things I've seen on reality tv.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Brent went from The Second Coming of Cody to Mr. Not-Quite-As-Pectacular in a few days. Amazing.

At least Mr Pectacular had a certain self-awareness and ability to laugh at himself. I'm not certain Brent does. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Thinking about it, I'm not even sure that Xavier should be targeting Brent at all.

Even last week, Brent was pointing out that the men had to be careful they didn't get Pagonged.  If Brent goes this week, the women have an 8-5 advantage, and two of the evictees were "buff dudes".  That wouldn't seem a good omen for Xavier, IMO.

I think he might have done better to put the target on Whitney.  "Brent will always make himself a target, but I think Whit's the real threat."  "She's won a comp, he hasn't."  "She can play for safety next week, he can't."  And so on.

• Love 6
(edited)

One thing I like less than throwing comps is people ganging up to make someone else lose instead of winning for themselves. And I say this as someone who doesn't even like or care about Britini.

Speaking of Britini in the spirit of the Olympics clutching that 4 and not realizing she could win with it just took the bronze behind Jeff winning the silver throwing that clown shoe out of the pen and Rockstar taking home the gold by giving her competitor the answer to win up there on Otev.

Asah must be a really good friend for what she did volunteering to go up. I think she's is going to feel very betrayed by The Cookout when she learns they are working without her.

And enough with this trying to portray Whitney as some Big Bad. All she's done is stand there looking pretty. Mike Boogie is a right hand man because he actually did stuff along and for Will. What had Whitney really done for Brent?

Derek and Hannah. I'm down with that.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I've been rather bored with the show so far, I'm still watching but it's barely holding my interest-- but now it looks like some toes are being stepped on and that usually leads to drama so I'm hoping things might be perking up. I haven't really cared much for Britini since the  first  time she screamed at us, and her crying every time she gets nommned isn't helping , AT ALL ! I realize that it's frustrating to be on the block twice in a row, but crying about it just irritates me. 

I'm sure,when the show is done & Brent watches all the comments about him that they showed tonight, he will fix his opinions about himself right up !!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Derek and Hannah. I'm down with that.

Hannah said she likes Derek but Derek's a lot harder to read. I think he's the kind of person who prefers to keep their emotions private. Just going by the episode, the only thing we know is that he likes her to some degree. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Do Xavier and Kyland think Hannah is in The Cookout, but Deref, Tiffany and Azah don't?  I could swear that we've seen both of them include Hannah in their lists but not the other three.  Or maybe they just forget about her?  Very weird.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I understood Azah better after watching this episode. I don't think she's objecting to the strategic way BB is played, she just doesn't want it to be Britini again. Looking at Britini's face after the noms, you can see why. And Azah knows she'll be picking up the pieces. 

Azah is definitely playing with her heart. And while I understand why this nomination hurts her, I actually think she’s doing Brittany a disservice by feeding her pain. If instead of crying alongside Britini she would try to make Britini see that this is a strategy she can work to her benefit, she could help Britini become a stronger player. As it stands, Britini is a weepy mess that makes the house uncomfortable. She will not go far by making people feel sorry for her. She could go far by making people think she is a reliable team player who can roll with the punches and be a strategic partner.

Same goes for Azah, actually. I believe you can have a heart in BB, but I don’t think you should wear it on your sleeve.

3 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

If you have the numbers which it seems he does there is no need to "calm" Brent down this week because a non-calm Brent can't change the votes. If you wanted him all chill and unknowing then back door him. The pawn talk was just a major red flag.

I’m not sure I agree that Brent can’t change the votes. Yes, everyone wants Brent out now, but he can be a charmer when he wants to be. He has been allied, at least loosely, with several people in the house and if properly motivated, I think he could swing people to his side and make a case for himself to stay. Xavier doesn’t want to take that chance. I also think Brent is egotistical enough to believe that Xavier wants him to stay.

I agree that a back door would be better if it worked, but that adds another “if” to the equation. It also creates a situation where Xavier has to nominate two pawns, not just one, and who wants a second crying Britini on their hands?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Just watching Tiffany tonight I have a strong feeling she is either going to win the entire show or she is going to go out like Vanessa and Diane (Season 5).  What I mean by the second part is, she is clearly playing a controlling game and she seems to be the puppet master thus far.  Maybe I am wrong with that impression but that is the impression I am getting.

Therefore, I think she will make it deep into the game but people will realize that they cannot possibly beat her and so I could see her getting cut somewhere between sixth and third place.  Now don't get me wrong, I like her game thus far and I would not be opposed with her winning (Her and Derek X are the only two who have really stood out to me thus far), but I do think there is a very good chance that she will be doomed to finish outside of the final two.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Britni needs to stop shouting at us in the DR about how much of a “Threat” she is & the HG should fear her…. What exactly has she done for her to be considered  a “threat”…. other then being an expert in everything that possess endless talents

Enough with the tears when being nominated. If you’re gonna cry every time then maybe don’t sign up for the show? 

Along with the HOH’s being stressed out and complaining on Who to evict. As if they were unaware that being HOH would make them responsible for picking noms

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

Britain could have actually won the wildcard comp but she had a brain freeze and couldn’t do basic math under the pressure.   Definitely not a threat unless a company is purely physical.  

• Love 8

Britini had 3-2-5-5.  If she eliminates DereX, then Tiffany can replace one of the 5s with her 2.  (She actually used it to replace the 4 that Brit had swapped in for her 2, but she wouldn't have that option.)  On their next attempts, Britini fell and Tiffany brought over a 4.  Assuming that her math skills are up to par, she would upgrade the 3 to a 4, leaving Britini with 4-2-5-2 and eliminating her.

So we might be in "a difference that makes no difference is no difference" territory.  JMO.

BRITINI:  I am literally fighting for my life every day in this House.

Gee, I hope not.  If the other HGs are trying to murder Brit, production should step in.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Well, I liked Azah until this one. If you're so stupid that you'd volunteer to be nominated just to keep attention-seeking Britini from getting all in her feelings, you're too stupid to be in this house. As far as I'm concerned, they could pick off the rest of Frenchie's team the next three evictions, and I'd be happy. Azah was the only Joker I could stand, but if she's that emotionally-driven and wants to be a babysitter, she's in the wrong place. Bounce her outta there too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Britain could have actually won the wildcard comp but she had a brain freeze and couldn’t do basic math under the pressure.   Definitely not a threat unless a company is purely physical.  

Or a rap battle. If they do a rap battle, she's got that locked up. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I think Britini is loud and obnoxious and she does trigger my migraines, but she has every right to be pissed and that gang up on her competition was truly unfair.  Derek X. and Tiffany come off as cowards, and anyone with two brain cells in their head to rub together should be able to figure out that huge two team alliance with Derek X. as the cherry on top exists and needs to be broken up.  

I'll bite. How was it "unfair?" Three people in a competition? Statistically, it makes way more sense to get one person out first even if the other two competitors are actively trying to win? If A, B and C are in a comp, and I'm C, I'd rather work with person B to get person A out than to try to eliminate two people at once. 

Edited by JayDub1987
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

I'll bite. How was it "unfair?" Three people in a competition? Statistically, it makes way more sense to get one person out first even if the other two competitors are actively trying to win? If A, B and C are in a comp, and I'm C, I'd rather work with person B to get person A out than to try to eliminate two people at once. 

The key phrase is "work with." Derek and Tiffany didn't even try to pretend they weren't playing as a team. They could have at least placed a card or two on each other's podiums instead of 100% focusing on Britini. After being nominated the week before, Britini has every right to feel at least a little picked-on, which was amplified by Xavier literally telling the entire house that he was putting Brent up as a pawn because he saw her as a threat.

However, like Nicole A. the last two seasons, Britini is confusing BB's forced bonding with real, actual friendship, and forgetting that this is a competition. Moping will do her no more good than it did Nicole.

Speaking of "forgetting this is a competition," Azah is guilty of this as well. Her offer was a beautiful gesture, but if she falls on her sword for Britini, everybody including Britini will have forgotten her five minutes after she walks outside to talk to Julie. It's the nature of this game and early eliminations.

Re Brent: I always love it when a houseguest announces they "will not allow" themselves to be nominated (see also Enzo last season), as if they have a say in the matter.

Re Brent Part 2: Some of what he was saying is correct: When a single man is friends with a single woman he finds attractive, he is definitely hoping something romantic develops between them, or at least wouldn't mind if it did. HOWEVER: Brent then went completely off the rails by saying:

A) No guy can ever be truly platonic friends with a woman, and

B) This is doubly true in his case because he's so irresistible or whatever.

When I was in my late teens/early 20s, I (a straight guy) had several platonic women friends who would freely talk to me about their dating lives. Yes, I was interested in them. but they weren't interested in me on a romantic level, and as their friend, I honored that and kept our relationship firmly in the friendzone, offering sincere support and advice as appropriate. I can tell you it's very frustrating to have a female you'd like to date tell you all about her dating life without actually, you know, INCLUDING you in her dating life. C'est la vie.

As for Brent's self-proclaimed unstoppable charisma: more or less every woman in the house is laughing at his pretensions. Does he honestly not get this?

• Love 10
17 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Thinking about it, I'm not even sure that Xavier should be targeting Brent at all.

Even last week, Brent was pointing out that the men had to be careful they didn't get Pagonged.  If Brent goes this week, the women have an 8-5 advantage, and two of the evictees were "buff dudes".  That wouldn't seem a good omen for Xavier, IMO.

All 3 HOHs have been men, so it's not the women who are targeting "buff dudes". Why assume the remaining women are going to band together to get rid of the rest of the men? Brent's argument was stupid.

• Love 3

Well, there's no guarantee, but it does happen;  if a few men are eliminated, the women see the advantage in a clean sweep.  Witness BB13, where the F6 turned out to be five women and Adam Poch (hardly a "buff dude").

But it's definitely not a hard-and-fast rule.  In BB15, the women held that same 8-5 edge (6-3 after Howard and Judd were evicted)…and then it ended up with 4 guys in the F5 (Judd having returned).   I'm not saying that Brent is a prophet, just that he has a valid concern.  But JMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Remember that we're still early in the season when the houseguests are feeling each other out and nobody much cares who's on the chopping block as long as it isn't them. Brent irritating people with his douchebro arrogance makes him an obvious target, and the fact that he has the physical capabilities to be a comp beast later on means that dumping him now makes a certain amount of sense.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Halting Hex said:

Well, there's no guarantee, but it does happen;  if a few men are eliminated, the women see the advantage in a clean sweep.  Witness BB13, where the F6 turned out to be five women and Adam Poch (hardly a "buff dude").

But it's definitely not a hard-and-fast rule.  In BB15, the women held that same 8-5 edge (6-3 after Howard and Judd were evicted)…and then it ended up with 4 guys in the F5 (Judd having returned).   I'm not saying that Brent is a prophet, just that he has a valid concern.  But JMO.

Considering that the reverse….Men targeting and getting rid of females due to gender… happens so often,,,, I say, go for it.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Not that I really care, because Britini drives me up a wall and I'm more than happy to see her go. But I'm not sure I understood the logic behind Xavier insisting on nominating her when someone like Azah is volunteering to got up on the block instead. She's a safe nomination and that's one less person you piss off. Maybe not the best strategy by her, but as far as the HoH goes, if someone offers to go up as a pawn you should take that offer.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Not that I really care, because Britini drives me up a wall and I'm more than happy to see her go. But I'm not sure I understood the logic behind Xavier insisting on nominating her when someone like Azah is volunteering to got up on the block instead. She's a safe nomination and that's one less person you piss off. Maybe not the best strategy by her, but as far as the HoH goes, if someone offers to go up as a pawn you should take that offer.

Xavier was worried about pulling a Frenchie and putting up someone from his own alliance. Even if Azah said "Oh, it was my idea," people might still look at him cross-eyed.

• Useful 1
Just now, peachmangosteen said:

They had teams in BB11 and BB14. I feel like another season did as well but I can't remember for sure lol.

Thank you. Do fans like it?  Do you think it makes for better seasons?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Do fans like it?  Do you think it makes for better seasons?

IMO, BB11 is a great season and BB14 is a shitty one. Most of the twists this show comes up with suck but at the end of the day, the most important thing is the cast. A good cast can overcome a shitty twist. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

IMO, BB11 is a great season and BB14 is a shitty one. Most of the twists this show comes up with suck but at the end of the day, the most important thing is the cast. A good cast can overcome a shitty twist. 

So far this cast seems sooooooo much better than last year's!  Oh, but then again that was "All Stars" so all those people have preexisting relationships probably :( 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I have to say I really appreciate Azah after this episode. I love that the first big alliance got broken up this season. That doesn’t happen that often, and I’m curious to see if they get back together at least partly.  I love The Cookout and will root for them to the end. I HATE that Britani is the pawn now. I hope it works out in her favor.

20 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't like teams.  I think it is too much interference by TPTB.   It seems like TPTB can't help themselves when it comes to involvement.  More often than not it backfires on them.   If they cast the game properly (which granted, is a big if) the game would run itself and they would only need to intervene if there was an issue that needed to be addressed.

The last two BB seasons have been dominated by an Alpha Bro alliance that picked everyone else off one by one: remember the loathsome Aquaman-looking dude two seasons ago who treated everyone who wasn't a athletic white twentysomething with open contempt? Setting up teams this season and having one white Alpha Bro per team is their way of trying to stem that.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Putting up Azah might tip off Brent that he’s the target. Lots of people would be happy to see Britini go, so it’s easy to make Brent believe she’s the target and he has nothing to worry about (and thus no need to campaign). I don’t think anyone has a problem with Azah, so she would be a harder sell.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't think The Cookout will nominate each other until/unless they just don't have any other option.

Also this.

• Love 3

Even with this team concept there is a massive huge alliance that involves two teams, plus Derek X.   Would that massive alliance exist without the team format?   I don't think it would.   If it did exist, there is no doubt in my mind that it wouldn't have been comprised of the same house guests.

The problem with the teams is that it's very confusing who's with who. You have the producer-manufactured Teams but there are organically formed alliances within and outside those teams, so it doesn't leave very many possibilities for nominations at the end of the day. Especially with this Wild Card twist. It's almost to the point where the HoH only has two or three people who CAN be nominated after all the alliances, teams and other safety features are factored in. Plus I can never keep track of who is on what team anyway.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Plus I can never keep track of who is on what team anyway.

Exactly this... they should make more of an effort to show us who is on what team, not good.

The team thing I think has already backfired (shock and surprise) if it was meant to prevent mega-alliances. It actually made them easier to form as you take your four and another teams four and WALLA!! Instant mega-alliance when they add a few other selected people.

• Love 1
On 7/26/2021 at 3:48 PM, Halting Hex said:

Yeah, the problem with that season is that it was Mean Girls on Steroids so there was never going to be a 'Girl power, Yay!" ending with the BB15 cast.

We're on the verge of having a season with only 1 white guy which is going to be pretty different from what we usually have.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The problem with the teams is that it's very confusing who's with who. You have the producer-manufactured Teams but there are organically formed alliances within and outside those teams, so it doesn't leave very many possibilities for nominations at the end of the day. Especially with this Wild Card twist. It's almost to the point where the HoH only has two or three people who CAN be nominated after all the alliances, teams and other safety features are factored in. Plus I can never keep track of who is on what team anyway.

Not to mention: that available number of “safe” noms is shrinking every week.

Truthfully, I wonder if Frenchie’s HoH reign - or Frenchie , for that matter - might not have devolved into such colossal trainwrecks if that very first Wildcard comp hadn’t derailed his original plans so completely....

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/26/2021 at 3:20 PM, iMonrey said:

I think Xavier knew it was too risky to use her as a pawn (much more than Azah herself knew when suggesting it). As a Joker, she's not in "the Royal Flush," so she's actually much more vulnerable than she probably realizes if Brent gets off the block with the veto. And their own Cookout alliance is too small at this point for her to absolutely have the numbers to keep her safe. X can't vote, which would leave only 3-4 guaranteed Cookout votes in her favor, plus Britni.

• Useful 3