Type keyword(s) to search

Reservation Dogs - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't have a problem with this at all. Rick could have seen Willow way before she was born or many times before she was born, but the main thing is that the character's name stuck with him. 

As far as Elora tracking him down, I'm not sure. How much info did she have about him other than his name? A google search for "Rick Miller" would yield too many results. But let's say she did find where he lived, I guess she could have waited outside his house and then followed him wherever he drove to, unsure when and how she would approach him. But when we see them back at his house, it sure looks like she'd never been there before.

I suppose we're just supposed to hand wave this away. When Elora says to the counselor that she doesn't know where to start, he brushes that off with "Grandfather Google," like that answers that!

He didn't seem hard to find. Bev said she was friends with him on Facebook. 

On 9/19/2023 at 3:39 PM, eejm said:

Was Maximus’ explanation of the cycle of going off his medication, seeing things/writing letters (to the librarian!), going to the hospital, etc., every few months a good indication that he is likely schizophrenic?

I know someone whose physicians vary between two diagnoses: bipolar and schizophrenia (or schizoid affect). Delusions/hallucinations and agitation/mania can be present in both diagnoses. Some patients never find the right medications, or their effectiveness wanes, adding further confusion.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 9/20/2023 at 12:41 PM, possibilities said:

I do have the hate for Kevin Costner. What is it about that guy? <<shudder>>

They are all so smug. But Hawke managed to actually act in this episode, so there's that.

I think there’s a smugness to him and Costner and nic cage.

I should have read the entire thread before posting. Some of us have the same reaction.

I loved that counselor. What a great character. I need to look him up.

What a delight.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

What the heck? It's not on Hulu yet. It lists Dig as ep 10 but that's actually Elora's Dad. Grrrr.

Yeah, what gives? I’ve been checking since 8:00 last night (Midnight eastern time). As much as I don’t want this show to end, I do need more closure than the Elora’s Dad episode. 

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

What the heck? It's not on Hulu yet. It lists Dig as ep 10 but that's actually Elora's Dad. Grrrr.

3 hours ago, Juneau Gal said:

Yeah, what gives? I’ve been checking since 8:00 last night (Midnight eastern time). As much as I don’t want this show to end, I do need more closure than the Elora’s Dad episode. 

I hadn’t checked earlier, but I’m watching it now (around 1pm ET Wed). And no ad breaks!

ETA:  Odd.  I got to it by selecting it from my Hulu home screen.  But after I watched, I went to the "episodes" option and ep10 wasn't there - the list ended with Elora's Dad.  So maybe see if you can get to it directly from Home?

Edited by SoMuchTV
noticed something else

I haven’t watched it yet and probly won’t have time until this weekend but In olden times (dvr) I’d just save the last episode and never watch,  then in my brain it never ended. Never watched the last episode of the daily show. (I know Trevor Noah kept making it but I never watched.) I need a friendly ancestor ghost ego farts. 

• Hugs 1

I finally watched it, but the same thing for me: didn't show up until later today.  Weird.

Loved that they brought almost all of the recurring characters here and everyone got a moment or two to shine.  Even brought back Daniel's mom from prison that has her own spirit guide.  Still pretty crazy that Lily Gladstone is probably going to be getting an Oscar nomination very soon for Killers of the Flower Moon.  Curious to see where her careers goes from there.

Thought the reunion between Maximus and Brownie/Bucky was low-key but well done.  Instead of a big dramatic scene of them hugging or crying, the three just automatically started bantering with one another and acted like nothing ever changed after all of these years.  Makes sense for these types of characters and the age they are right now.

Big and Becky are still going going strong: maybe too strong for the other characters but that's just the way they are!  Zahn McClarnon trying to act all suave and doing double entendres with a zucchini is something I never would have thought I'd witness in television!

The Spirit Guide!  Glad we got one final appearance from him.  Even if he is leaving Bear, I wonder if he is destined to serve as a guide for another youth in need.

Did feel like Cheese didn't get as big of a send-off as the others, but I wonder if it's because the character is younger than the other three, so he doesn't have as many life choices or need to contemplate things like they did.  His annoyance over the elders making him their coffee runner was funny at least.

Was Rita's quip at the end suppose to be hinting that Bear and Jackie are an item now?  They never really addressed what was going on with them, but the hints where there. 

Will definitely miss this show and its characters.  Might go down as one of my favorites of all time.  Thank you for what you created, Sterlin Hargo, and I can't wait to see what you do next.  Equal credit to the talented crew who seemed to nail all aspects of the show.  All the actors as well: I especially hope this isn't the last we see of Devery Jacobs, D'Pharaoh Woon-A-Tai, Lane Factor, and Paulina Alexis on the big or small screen.  Great performances all around from these four.  Will always love these Rez Dogs!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 7

Beautifully done. So many tears for me throughout. 
Zucchini!🤣

Didn't want it to end, but it has and on its own truly wonderful terms. First rule of entertainment: always leave them wanting more. And they certainly did, but what a lovely closure. 
So, only one thing left to say - Love you bitches! 

• Like 10
  • Love 2

I just finished it and I'm still in tears. I have that empty feeling one gets when a good friend moves away.

I'm hoping that at least one of the fabulous characters in the show gets a spinoff.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Still pretty crazy that Lily Gladstone is probably going to be getting an Oscar nomination very soon for Killers of the Flower Moon.

I read the book and can't wait to the movie. 

This was a wonderful finale. I think my first tear-up was when Bear told Elora her going to college was awesome. He's really grown up. Of course they all have. And then of course when they told each other "I love you" and hugged, I had to grab the tissue box.

Loved seeing William Knifeman again. 

Everything was great. Seeing all the characters again, seeing everyone as a community just gave me such hope for our world. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I loved the opening aerial shots of the community, and the so appropriate lead in of Let The Circle Be Unbroken.  It was wonderful that they brought everyone together in grief and joy. 

There were lots of little moments to cherish. The return of the little cowboy who has now crossed over into the spirit world.  Bucky starting a dance.  The ladies making fry bread together.  The moments the young stars got to spend together grave side.

Standing ovation for a series well done.

Edited by MisterGlass
Change
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Was Rita's quip at the end suppose to be hinting that Bear and Jackie are an item now?  They never really addressed what was going on with them, but the hints where there. 

They're definitely a thing. 

Just a beautiful send off. I didn't cry quite as much as I figured I would, but the scene between Bear and Elora got to me hard. It was all just beautifully done, and I'll miss every single one of them. I really really wish/hope there'd be some kind of future movie/mini series letting us know how everyone is doing in ten years or something. 

This show was just so special, and all of the actors as well, but the four young leads...I really want great things for them. Bye bitches. It was just a beautiful ride. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Have we met this character before? I ask because I want to map and understand the ties that bind this community together would love to know who is this absolute smoke show of an actor.

Screenshot2023-09-28at8_51_39PM.thumb.png.74ee1322b7cfb66757ba557fdbf0e713.pngScreenshot2023-09-28at8_52_14PM.png.2cd569df0bfef0f90fc917a2bc9c536b.png  

17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Did feel like Cheese didn't get as big of a send-off as the others

He got to smack White Steve in the face with a shovel. (Whereupon a voice off-screen goes, "Dig another hole." 😂)

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Like 2
  • LOL 5

It was great to see all three Podemski sisters together again.

I agree it felt like Cheese's sendoff was not really in this episode but I think it was mostly done in his own episode earlier in the season.

Jackie stopped dying her hair, that seems like a nice touch. I was surprised that Elora sold her house but I guess she needs the money for college.

I cried a lot. Definitely will miss these characters (and actors). The hug from Leon after Willie Jack said her speech at Fixico's grave really got me.

Can't wait to see what Sterlin does next.

• Like 4

Although I hate that this is over, I've never seen a better ending.  The message about being involved in community hit me and I hope to move back to my rez soon and be a part of my community.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

Have we met this character before? I ask because I want to map and understand the ties that bind this community together would love to know who is this absolute smoke show of an actor.

Screenshot2023-09-28at8_51_39PM.thumb.png.74ee1322b7cfb66757ba557fdbf0e713.pngScreenshot2023-09-28at8_52_14PM.png.2cd569df0bfef0f90fc917a2bc9c536b.png  

He got to smack White Steve in the face with a shovel. (Whereupon a voice off-screen goes, "Dig another hole." 😂)

Chad Charlie. He is one of the roofing guys that Bear works with. He was in the episode where Bear goes to work.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I kind of like that Bear and Jackie’s relationship was sort of casually confirmed. It’s refreshing to have a show just trust the audience. 

Other than that, no notes. This was a rare finale that perfectly encapsulated everything the show has been, from character to setting to plot. I’ve learned so much about grief and healing and community from this show, and hopefully will see all these creators taking on projects as beautiful as this. Mvto to them. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 9/27/2023 at 2:47 PM, nachomama said:

I haven’t watched it yet and probly won’t have time until this weekend but In olden times (dvr) I’d just save the last episode and never watch,  then in my brain it never ended. Never watched the last episode of the daily show. (I know Trevor Noah kept making it but I never watched.) I need a friendly ancestor ghost ego farts. 

Glad I'm no the only one who's done this...

On 9/27/2023 at 3:24 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I assumed so. I was really happy to see Jackie's hair--I figured it was growing out all this time, but it's so pretty its natural color!

A small, thing but how nice that Bear and Elora will be platonic friends that's strong no matter who they get with romantically.

For a second in the beginning I worried we'd had a time jump and Willie Jack was somehow in jail. Then I worried she was actually a spirit now because they didn't hear her yelling at them. LOL. So happy to see her talking to her auntie. I loved that first ep so much and WJ is my favorite.

I agree with the person saying Cheese just didn't get the same kind of end because he's still in high school.

Poor White Steve getting hit with the shovel, but I'm going to miss him too. 

Mvto.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I much prefer if Jackie and bear are an item that we left it there. Good lord knows I could care less who Taylor swift is dating but they sure wanna make me try. 

I like the way it's basically saying that yes, they're probably on their way to dating or already are, but that isn't that big of a deal. 

They generally took a light approach to romance on this show. I really appreciated that. From Big and his farcical zucchini, to the married couples who aren't really even focused on at all, sex and romance did not drive the stories on this show. It proves that the rest of the industry is just flat out lacking imagination when this is such a large % of what most stories are depending on either for main focus or significant spice.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Poor White Steve getting hit with the shovel, but I'm going to miss him too. 

I’m trying to get my daughter into this, and we watched the first two episodes today while her babies were napping. Oh my, I’d forgotten what a [bleep] White Steve (and the rest of his gang) was!  And what criminals the Dogs were! Growth, bitches!

• Like 1

This might be one of my favorite finales ever. It started off beautifully with the scene between Willie Jack and Daniel's mom--I teared up at her explanation of life, death, and community. It felt like the thesis of the season, maybe the whole series.

Even though it was sad that everyone was gathering over Fixico's death, I liked how much love and life was in the episode too. Loved the montage of the guys digging the grave, especially Cheese hitting White Steve with the shovel! And that wonderful shot of the women dancing while they cooked. I cheered for Kenny Boy showing up with the shovels and then laughed at Maximus side eyeing him like, "Who's this guy?" Lovely moment with Bear needing a second after hearing that Elora was leaving for college, then telling her it was awesome--I loved his farewell to the spirit as well. I appreciated all the love people showed Willie Jack after her speech over the grave. And I swear Big made me laugh every single time he was onscreen. I especially loved everyone's reaction to him wondering if he shouldd sing a song, and his walkie dangling by its cord during his walk of shame with Bev.

I agree that Cheese had less of a sendoff than the other three, and that it was a combination of him being younger than the others and having such a good spotlight episode earlier in the season. But I really loved that *everyone* got their moment. It wasn't just the Rez Dogs and bigger characters like Rita and Big. Seeing everyone come together for the funeral highlighted how big the recurring cast is. The show really did a fantastic job creating this community.

Of course I would've liked more seasons, but I can't complain about what we got. We had three great seasons of this funny, sad, loving, wild show, and it was able to end on its own terms. Loved it!                               

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

No media thread so posting this here: it's an new interview with Harjo at ICT (Indian Country Today) about the show, including Harjo's comment that he thinks about doing more with the characters.

https://ictnews.org/news/reservation-dogs-goes-out-with-community

Last episode: one of my favorite songs of all time is "I'm Gonna Live Forever" and I love that a cover was included in this excellent, bittersweet final episode that connects the community through an elder's passing. Here's the original musician Billie Joe Shaver:

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, buckboard said:

"Jackie stopped dying her hair...."

Perhaps that's because it was dark for her role In Dark Winds and she didn't have time to dye it back.

Could be, but it seems like a great, efficient way to show that Jackie, too, has changed and she's now embracing both her own natural self and the community--everyone else has dark hair. 

In fact, her hair looked darker at the very end than at the funeral, but that may have just been how the sunlight was hitting it. Or it took her some time to get it back to how dark it was after all that bleach.

• Like 3

I love this show, I’m about halfway through a rewatch, but I’m still feeling like I could really benefit with a “family tree”-type diagram or synopsis, showing all the relationships (blood and otherwise) between all the characters. 

• Like 1

Found this on Reddit. I had to give the legend a good looking over (ex: double-line connections are for friendship, doesn't indicate any blood relation,) but it seems pretty good. Click on the image to maximize.

rez-dogs-family-character-chart-v0-knah82bcp2nb1.thumb.png.bc1d88639e98d507b71120c93df4eaab.png

Edited by angora
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

What a gorgeous finale. I loved so many moments, and all of these characters.

One little observation at the very end: Elora was packing her things into her dad’s truck that he mentioned was for sale. A nice connection to the last episode and their emerging relationship.

The mid credits scene of Bev and Big coming out of the woods and the elders sitting together was perfect. This show was perfect. I’m going to miss it so much, and rewatch it often.

• Like 8
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

I've enjoyed the series but it occurred to me that you don't really see the usual smallness in any large group of people.

Very few rivalries -- maybe Willy and Jackie in earlier seasons? -- no jealousies.

The kids instead of rolling their eyes at the elders, hold them in utmost reverence, no equivalent of "OK Boomer" on the reservation?

Makes me wonder if this is too rosy or nostalgic look at life there.  

What you have is just a lot of quirky people, mostly getting along, nothing but love and kindness.  In a way it's like Northern Exposure though I don't recall how that show ended.

Can it be that good?  Maybe, but we know about high unemployment, alcoholism, etc. and other stresses on reservations which would test this social cohesion shown on Reservation Dogs.

Elora tells Bear she's leaving for college but she's going to come back every weekend.  For her sake, she should not follow up on that plan but spend time on campus and socialize with other students there.  She isn't going to college to return to the reservation with her degree.  She would get a job outside the reservation and have a life elsewhere.

Otherwise, why go to college at all?  Well with her mother gone, she no longer had family there so are they suggesting that she wouldn't have gone to college if her mother was still alive?

Bear's mother is also leaving the reservation, for a job with double the money and more security.  Should be a pretty easy decision but she agonized over it, because she was leaving Bear behind.

I don't know what percentage of kids born and raised on reservations are able to leave, whether for college or jobs.  But it seems like the default for these characters is to stay, follow the paths of their parents and the elders.  They're very young but they tied their identities to the Rez Dogs.

I'm not saying every kid should aim to go to  college, climb that socioeconomic ladder.  But maybe the better way to frame it would be to try to avoid job insecurity and not having options about what kind of work to do, where to live, etc.

Maybe Elora graduates, finds a successful career but never find the same love and support she had before leaving.  Maybe she will have to keep visiting like Teenie.

Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan speculated that Harjo planned only two seasons, the kids go out to CA and some of them don't return, suggesting that a they make it out.  But he was persuaded to do this third season and he made it about community.

3 minutes ago, aghst said:

She isn't going to college to return to the reservation with her degree.  She would get a job outside the reservation and have a life elsewhere.

Otherwise, why go to college at all?

To offer mental help to people on the reservation. Mental health services are really hard to get for poorer people and people who aren't in places where they tend to be (meaning big cities). If she wants to go into the field because of Daniel, she might very well be thinking of helping others on the reservation in some way.

I mean, there's lots of things they could do with their lives and many places they might want to go--I loved how the show ended with the kids ready to go into a transitional period and figure out what they want to do. But it doesn't seem strange to me that people on a reservation would feel a different responsibility and relationship to community, elders etc. I didn't get the impression they had reverence for their elders, exactly, in that they thought they were always founts of wisdom.

We did see some conflicts between people--Maximus didn't seem to make up with his cousin until he was dying. I seem to recall Brownie having issues with people as well. Bear was nasty to Daniel's father at first--and he and Elora had resentment issues. (Not to mention Bear wish his father.)

• Like 9

I kept it together until Elora and Bear: "Bear?" "Yeah?" "I love you!!!!" Gaaaaahhhh!

Loved Bear and William in the woods - Bear has grown up so much! I am glad they just alluded to Bear and Jackie - this show just wasn't about teen romance - how refreshing that it was the adults always looking for a snag ;-p

Speaking of......."I brought something for your kit-chen" as Big produces the largest zucchini on the planet! Hilarious!!!!!

I am so glad all of the characters had moments to shine this episode - the kids (including White Steve getting beaned - ha!), the elders, the adults. Glad to see Kenny Boy save the day! And even a revisit of Aunt Hokti imparting more wisdom via Flaming Flamers. Not as powerful as the first time we saw Willie Jack visit her, but still great.

As a middle age white lady, I learned so much from this gem. One of my favorite shows of all time. I cannot wait to see what Sterlin Harjo does in the future.

• Like 3

As the white Steve of my growing up years I’d say yes they do respect their elders way more than regular teenagers. That doesn’t mean that they don’t get up to teenage hijinks. At my graduation I literally begged people to get out of town. If you don’t go anywhere how can you grow? Etc. Speaking only about Navajos they do not expect to leave their 4 sacred mountains. I do think it’s important to return. I have my own personal Elora my “niece” just got her doctorate and plans to create something that brings Navajo holistic medicine and add in the biligana stuff. Mental health in particular. It’s about trust. Most Navajos don’t trust western medicine. Her mom runs the community center with heavy emphasis on suicide prevention because there is so much need. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I am so glad I kept watching after the first few episodes that seemed a tad weird to me. But I adjusted soon and I really  liked this gem.
Maybe the finale was a tad utopian, but you know what? In our times we really need to be reminded what community is. What solidarity is.
To remember how to respect people and treat elders nicely.
We have lost most of the above and our societies are slowly turning to jungles.

As someone who lives in Europe, I  am glad I see more shows about Native Americans, Reservation Dogs, Dark Winds, Rutherford Falls. I hope these shows respect the tribes, their culture and their people.
Mvto :)

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 1
On 10/3/2023 at 11:55 AM, aghst said:

I've enjoyed the series but it occurred to me that you don't really see the usual smallness in any large group of people.

Very few rivalries -- maybe Willy and Jackie in earlier seasons? -- no jealousies.

The kids instead of rolling their eyes at the elders, hold them in utmost reverence, no equivalent of "OK Boomer" on the reservation?

Makes me wonder if this is too rosy or nostalgic look at life there.  

What you have is just a lot of quirky people, mostly getting along, nothing but love and kindness.  In a way it's like Northern Exposure though I don't recall how that show ended.

Can it be that good?  Maybe, but we know about high unemployment, alcoholism, etc. and other stresses on reservations which would test this social cohesion shown on Reservation Dogs.

Please believe me that I mean this in no way to be condescending, but you might be surprised. Yes, most American Indian reservations are economically depressed areas - especially the further west you go - but by that same token you’re talking a LOT of primarily rural and small-town communities, and they maintain a lot more of the small town “feel” and sensibilities.  Also, AI/AN communities have a distinctly different cultural identity from similarly-sized mainstream American communities - an identity which has frequently been challenged, tested by fire and forged stronger through conflict with both the government and their (white) neighbors.  End result being that no matter what internal conflicts may arise within the community they will still hold tight to each other, especially in the face of external encroachment.  Harjo actually illustrates this most excellently in the attempt to “break out” Maximus; the Reservation Dogs and the NDN Mafia may fight tooth and nail on the rez, but when it comes to helping out one of their own in the outside (white) world they quickly assemble into a united front - and I guarantee you, this is NOT a significant departure from reality.

On 10/3/2023 at 11:55 AM, aghst said:

Elora tells Bear she's leaving for college but she's going to come back every weekend.  For her sake, she should not follow up on that plan but spend time on campus and socialize with other students there.  She isn't going to college to return to the reservation with her degree.  She would get a job outside the reservation and have a life elsewhere.  Otherwise, why go to college at all?  

I might suggest the mainstream answer to that question would be “to make more money and move up in life”, while the AI/AN answer would be “to help and strengthen the community” - but that would be an astoundingly oversimplified answer to a very complex question. And this website’s editor is too shitty for that much typing. 😉

• Like 8
  • Love 1

part of the sense of community comes from the reservations themselves. Initially they were prisons. The government shoved them in and said don’t come out without asking. Navajos were lucky they got locked into the location they already had. White peoples didn’t want it. They had their sheep and the govt gave them flour and booze. They made do. But it meant if one guy has a truck and going to town pretty much everybody jumping in the truck and going to town. It means when there is a pandemic and they say hunker in place. Boy do they ever. The Navajos suffered tremendously because they hunkered together. You do not leave a man behind even if the man is sick and gonna take you all down. Community is necessity and you do not comprehend the level of “sharing” until you’ve hung out on a reservation. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I’m not saying people can’t be close-knit as depicted.

But stats suggest some bleak aspects of life on reservations.

Money problems stress Americans so I’m wondering if they don’t cause similar issues for people who live on reservations.

It’s certainly Harjo’s prerogative if he doesn’t want to depict the sad aspects of reservation life.

But maybe viewers need to understand the context.

If you want to see poverty and social dysfunction and addictions, you can certainly find them among white people. But we don't bemoan the existence of shows about white people that don't focus on that, and feel it necessary to point out that they're not realistic or worry that they aren't "giving context".

I don't understand the fascination with misery porn when depicting any population other than the dominant demographics. This happens with my own LGBTQ and disabled  communities as well-- if there's no angst, people try to insert it.

I just watched a show with a lesbian teenager and viewers are saying she must just be trying to figure herself out/maybe she's not really a lesbian, when the show gives zero indication of that, and only depicts her in a happy relationship with her girlfriend.

And even now, to my great annoyance, most stories about us are about coming out/being bashed, as though that's all we ever do in life. So when there's something about someone who's not coming out or confused or being rejected or in any way angsty about her sexuality, it strikes outsiders as unrealistic. 

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 6
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2