Type keyword(s) to search

Reservation Dogs - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really love the way this show is written. It's heartbreaking to see Elora and Bear at odds, but I get where both are coming from, both so immersed in their hurt. We've seen Elora completely discount Bear's trauma at his dad's abandonment when she was so mad at him spending "her money" to do things when his dad was supposed to come. Her comment for Bear to "grow up" felt unfair knowing that Bear actually did grow up a little by getting a real job instead of stealing. Bear is still hurt by Elora leaving him behind, and him taunting her shows he doesn't really get why she is upset - Mabel is all she had. Hard stuff, but I hope they come back together.

I know Willie Jack was just trying to get revenge on Jackie for beating up Bear, but that was messed up. And of course she apologizes and of course Jackie just keeps the feud going. I did love her directing Cheese to the vending machine and back with a drink. Also, I loved Cheese's shirt.

• Love 4

It did not click for me that it was Amber Midthunder until I saw her name in the credits.  She was really funny in a deadpan way.  I loved Cheese's reactions to her speech around the time she got to lizard ancestors.

That was a low blow, dropping Jackie, and could have cracked her head.  I'm worried about where a show like this is going with that feud.

Also in keeping with the dark parts under the comedy was that White Steve's happiest memory was being beaten into his gang.

• Love 2

Certainly wouldn't have predicted that Cheese would be the character that gets sent to a youth detention center/home, although it was less surprising that he didn't really deserve to be there, but was basically forced to due to all of the numerous flaws in the system.  Loved how his politeness and general attitude initially clashed with almost everyone else, but he ended up growing closer to some of them at the end.

Marc Maron was hilarious as the leader, even if it reminded me about GLOW's cancelation and wished it didn't go out the way it did.

Loved how the rest of the gang all put aside their differences in order to try and help him out: hell, even Jackie was almost a glorified member for this one!  I wonder if that will continue on or if all of the problems will come roaring back in the next episode.

Even though he was in it for only a few minutes, Big was great with all of his reactions to everything that was going on.  Zahn McClarnon is a treasure!

Cheese's speech about Daniel and how his death effected him was really well done.  I like how the series has shown how Daniel's suicide has effected everyone and how their lives have all changed because of it.  Really helps establish how important he was to all of them and even makes me miss him despite the lack of screen time. 

Lane Factor did great work here.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Even though he was in it for only a few minutes, Big was great with all of his reactions to everything that was going on.  Zahn McClarnon is a treasure!

He sure is.  

Spoiler

When his boots appeared on the screen I started yelling at my TV how happy I was to see Big because I knew he would save the day. 

This episode is riveting.  The writing and the acting are fantastic.  I need to go watch it again. 

• Love 8

This was a great episode. It was interesting to see how Cheese's manner of speaking is deliberate, a result of reading about suicide and depression. He has such a generous heart.

Absolutely loved Big! Letting Cheese chirp him but also giving Cheese a clip on the head made me laugh out loud. He was like, yeah you can say something...wait what!? Fantastic. Big's rescue at the group home implied Elora (and the crew) went to him for help. They took Cheese's cue and found another way that was legal. And they/Big sorted getting Cheese out of the home and into a place to live. 

The tshirts at the end were great also.

• Love 16

How wonderful that Cheese gets to live with his not grandma grandma. 
I had always wondered what Cheese’s living arrangements were; we knew the other Res Dogs home lives, but I didn’t remember learning about Cheese’s. Guess he lived with his uncle/cousin? 

• Love 5

My heart was just breaking into pieces for Cheese when he got dumped into that cruddy group home! He's my favorite, so genuinely kind and empathetic. Got me to thinking how sweet gentle kids like him get chewed up in the system, so I was glad that the group home guardian turned out to be an ineffectual blowhard rather than cruel or abusive. Loved how Big saved the day, and how Cheese's own kind nature held him up. 

The "Free Cheese" shirts at the end cracked my shit up! I love these people. 

• Love 10
On 9/7/2022 at 12:15 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Marc Maron was hilarious as the leader, even if it reminded me about GLOW's cancelation and wished it didn't go out the way it did.

Same!!!!! So happy to see Marc Maron! What a great episode.

Man, it was heartbreaking to see that situation, and Cheese's blank face so many times broke my heart more than if he had been more emotional. That phone call! I hope we see Red Lobster guy and Tino again. What great writing to make these characters come so alive in a matter of minutes. Cheese (he/him) is such a sweet soul.

I hope this is the end of the feud. I loved the shirts!

• Love 3

I still think is not a comedy (more like a dramedy) but this show is SO good.. SO good.
The actors, young and older, are great and the writing is fantastic on how they develop these characters.
This is probably my favorite episode to date. 

And Zahn McClarnon is amazing. He manages to make all of his scenes special. He was literally the best thing in Westworld 's last season  even if his  appearances were very short. He was also great as the lead (FINALLY) in Dark Winds. 
I am happy he gets the recognition he deserves. 

• Love 8

Don’t quite know what to think about this latest episode. I was excited when I read the synopsis that it was going to feature Big, because a Big sighting makes everything better. Then this episode……an LSD trip….fish fucking?! I live in Alaska where big oil pays an annual stipend to every Alaskan for taking our resource, so I get all the symbolism they were going for, but still. Other than getting a  glimpse into Cookie’s final moments and Big’s guilt over it, this episode was a miss for me. I fully expect to stand alone in this opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

The more episodes we get it really hits home that Cookie's death was to that generation what Daniel's was to the kids. The moment where nothing will ever be the same again and the pain and aftermath can either separate or bring them together. The kids are still in the midst of figuring out which way it will go. 

• Love 14

"Trippy" episodes tend to be hit or miss with me, but I was able to enjoy most of it due to Zahn McClarnon's acting and comedic timing, and pairing him off with Kenny, who is a fun character too.  That said, it was definitely out there and part of me does wish we got a more straightforward way to have a "Big-centric" story.  Still, it had its moments.

I did like the flashbacks of Cookie's accident and seeing how it effected Big going forward and the guilt he carries over it.  Also, we got the return of the Deer Lady!

Enjoyed seeing Angus Sampson as Kenny's drug making brother: especially since he and Zahn were both in the second season of Fargo and shared a lot of scenes in that one.

Even though they were only in this episode for a minute, the kids almost stole the entire thing with their perfect (and understandable) reactions to hearing that particular news story!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

How many episodes are there in this season? 

I was confused about the time here. Big seemed really alienated from the rest of the cops in the beginning, and frankly I thought he might be drunk, high, or asleep in the meeting, which surprised me and made me think maybe it was in the past. But apparently not?

We haven't really seen any other police on the show before, and that was another reason I thought it might be in a different time and place.

But when the kids were shown at the end, seeing the news story, that showed the entire thing (except for the flashbacks to Cookie's death) was now.

Again with the owls, though. 

• Love 1

I have watched some strange episodes of television, and that was one.  I can see why they would opt for a secret society this satirical rather than bringing the actual KKK into it.

I did appreciate the return of the Deer Lady.  And I don't mind the idea of Big having a friend in Kenny going forward.  I'm sorry he missed Bigfoot there at the end.

• Love 3

This episode was different but I enjoyed it.  I laughed so hard when Big told Kenny Boy to cover him and he uses a stick.  They were both still so out of it that it made perfect sense to them.  I got a kick out of Big having a Big Foor air freshener in his patrol car, too.

I had been hoping that the Deer Lady would return.  I took her telling Big that Cookie had sent her as meaning that Cookie didn't blame Big for the accident and that he shouldn't blame himself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Abmis said:

This episode was different but I enjoyed it.  I laughed so hard when Big told Kenny Boy to cover him and he uses a stick.  They were both still so out of it that it made perfect sense to them.  I got a kick out of Big having a Big Foot air freshener in his patrol car, too.

I had been hoping that the Deer Lady would return.  I took her telling Big that Cookie had sent her as meaning that Cookie didn't blame Big for the accident and that he shouldn't blame himself.

Edited by Abmis
spelling
  • Love 1

Paulina Alexis was fantastic in this episode. I cried when Hokti was speaking with Willie Jack and all the elders and healers stood behind her in support. Willie Jack was so overcome and surprised by it. It was beautifully done.

I love that there was a female Spirit for Hokti who had sass, too.

Only one ep left this season!

• Love 13

Powerful episode. I continue to be blown away by how good this show is. It’s my fave show out right now, & it’s not even close. I just love how rooted this series is in community & friendship. The emotional elements are just top tier & executed perfectly. Well done to everyone involved here. 

Edited by saltylemon
  • Love 8

While I don't have a real favorite amongst the kids since I think they're awesome in their own ways, there is something about Willie Jack-centric episodes that just hit in ways emotionally that are hard to top.  I think part of it is that she's the one out of the group that really tries to put up a "tough and cool" face most of the time, but it is clear that she is using it to hide her own turmoil and pain that was caused by what happened to Daniel and, really, everything else that comes with living on the Rez.  Paulina Alexis really excels at showing natural vulnerability in all of her scenes.

Great seeing Hokti for the first time.  Lily Gladstone's got a big role coming up in Martin Scorsese's "Killers of the Flower Moon", so it was fun seeing her here before she potentially gets even more fame because of that.  Loved that she has her own spirit guide too!

So, it sounds like the finale is going to be about the Rez Dogs doing something off of Daniel's list that he wrote about in his time capsule letter.  Curious to see how it plays out!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, mledawn said:

I cried when Hokti was speaking with Willie Jack and all the elders and healers stood behind her in support. Willie Jack was so overcome and surprised by it. It was beautifully done.

same here.. very powerful scene..

• Love 5

This episode was so simple but executed so well.

The new spirit was a good contrast with Bear's spirit.  She seemed like the right person to reach Hokti in the way that Bear's spirit is the right person to reach him.

I was looking up cast members from this episode, and the guy from the waiting room isn't an actor, he was the show's gaffer for most of the first season.  His list of credits is crazy.

• Love 9

This episode was so simple but executed so well.

I definitely agree. But it was another one that I wished was longer. There had been certain episodes like this one and the Cheese centric one where I wanted another ten minutes or so. It's not that I think there was anything missing necessarily but that it was so good I just wanted more.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

What an amazing episode. I love Willie Jack, with all of her tough exterior, because she just breaks out with things that need to be said, and has a lot of empathy, just like Cheese. She was honest with Hokti about the elders not always being there for them, and then honest with her friends, that no, they aren't all fine.

And her occasional snark is so good, even in little bits in the heavier episodes - "can you repeat the rules?" to the guard. Lol.

The scene with the spirits in the prison behind Willie Jack was so well-done. And also Hokti adding Willie Jack and the others to the visitor list at the end.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:09 PM, MisterGlass said:

I was looking up cast members from this episode, and the guy from the waiting room isn't an actor, he was the show's gaffer for most of the first season.  His list of credits is crazy.

What a career. I wouldn't have guessed that he wasn't an actor - he seemed like a natural. I loved the convo between him and Willie Jack.

I'm thrilled about a S3 - this show deserves it!

• Love 8
On 9/21/2022 at 3:22 PM, thuganomics85 said:

While I don't have a real favorite amongst the kids since I think they're awesome in their own ways, there is something about Willie Jack-centric episodes that just hit in ways emotionally that are hard to top.  I think part of it is that she's the one out of the group that really tries to put up a "tough and cool" face most of the time, but it is clear that she is using it to hide her own turmoil and pain that was caused by what happened to Daniel and, really, everything else that comes with living on the Rez.  Paulina Alexis really excels at showing natural vulnerability in all of her scenes.

I love this show but never thought of looking up the forum for it. Wanted to agree that there is just something about Willie Jack that hits so hard sometimes. Her and Cheese are probably my favorites, but they're so different from each other and it's Willie Jack that gets to me. The ep where she went hunting was one, and this one again. She's also so effortlessly hilarious--her look to the (apparently actual gaffer!) when he just announced all the mushrooms he'd done was perfect. 

I also like the way they somewhat resolved her feud with Jackie, making it seem like it would be a big plot, but then doing something more realistic, where Jackie had to be angry in the moment but she really does want friends. There's not one character in this universe I don't enjoy spending time with.

• Love 4
On 9/23/2022 at 10:03 PM, buckboard said:

the manager who sent Elora to clean up in the bathroom was played by Joy Harjo, the first Native U.S. poet laureate.

I saw her name in the credits, and went YEAH! Poets in the 7/11! ;-)

I also liked the moment when Willie Jack offered to atone to Jackie for talking shit about Jackie's brother...and Jackie took it and...didn't hit Willie Jack. And they shook hands. So I think Jackie's going to be more incorporated into the group. With Willie Jack and Cheese dishing out the advice. :-)

Edited by kwnyc
  • Love 2

Another amazing episode.  I love how even in an episode with such serious and moving subject matter they throw in something that makes me laugh.  In this case it was Hokti's spirit guide apparently getting in on with Bear's spirit guide.  Nice to know that spirit sex lasts longer. 

• LOL 1

Only up to the episode about Elora's grandma passing, but oof this show knows how to make me cry.  Also, the episode where Bear and Daniel's dad talked during the roofing job made me cry a little.  

It's been renewed for a third season, so yay!

I have a soft spot for Big, perhaps in part because I enjoyed the actor on Longmire.  The Deer Lady episode in the first season, though ... she freaked me out a little.  Can you imagine seeing that carnage in the convenience store as a kid and knowing that if she decides you turned into a "shit-ass" as an adult, she's coming for you?   Eek!

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 4

This latest episode…..wow. So many tears. When all the money in the envelope was shown, I knew it wasn’t going to end well, in that regard. And White Jesus! I laughed every time they called him that. 
The scene on the beach was beautiful, heartbreaking, and powerful. Like Cheese, I’m mad at Daniel; all the collateral damage he left behind. 
It will be interesting to see what direction they go in Season 3; I hope we move on from Daniel now, but where to? As much as I love this show and hope it goes on for many seasons, this episode would have been an excellent ending to the series. 

• Love 9

When all the money in the envelope was shown, I knew it wasn’t going to end well, in that regard

Me too. I thought it was going to get stolen from the car when they were in the store though.

So, Daniel had feelings for Elora... In the episode where it showed them dancing, I got the impression she had a thing for him and it's sad that apparently they both felt the same but nothing happened.

• Love 4

Definitely gave off an impression that they were prepared for this to be the series finale if need to be, since the gang was actually able to make it to California and pay their respects to Daniel.  Would have been a fitting end, but I'm glad it's coming back and looking forward to seeing where they go from here.  Daniel will clearly always be a big part of their lives, but this does feel like the first time they've had some kind of breakthrough about moving forward and I'm looking forward to seeing how the gang moves on (but never forgets.)

As much as I love the supporting cast, it was great seeing the main four being front and center here, and watching them play off one another like they did.  All four of them are just so perfectly cast and have amazing chemistry with one another.  All of them had great moments here, but Cheese's prayer/eulogy really stood out.  I liked that he addressed that there was some anger amongst the grief and pain, because he feels like Daniel left them all in a lurch by doing what he did.  A selfish and unpleasant emotion for sure, but a realistic and human one as well.  In general, the whole beach scene was perfection.

No one will ever top the Spirit Guide, but White Jesus was awesome!  So helpful!  Until the cops showed up...

I do wonder if they'll ever see that car or money again?

Loved the return of the Fortune Teller contraption!

Great finale for a really great season.  I really loved the first one, but this one might have exceeded it and is a contender for one of my favorite seasons of television this year.  Hope the wait for season three won't be too long!

• Love 5

Oddly enough, this was not a standout episode for me. There were solid bits like when they left their rez and said goodbyes (“White Steve don’t cry, you’ll make me cry”), and Cheese’s send off and the final scene at the ocean… but I didn’t have the same emotional fallout as last week’s ep, for example.

I’m going to rewatch but the funeral scene in particular took me out. Where were Willie Jack’s parents? They’re relations of Daniel and have shown to be supportive of Willie Jack and her friends. I understand logistics for filming and access to actors but then don’t have Bear’s mother there.

As others have mentioned, it would be a solid series finale but we know they’re coming back, which is great. But what’s next? Bear said he isn’t going home…

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 9/21/2022 at 6:22 AM, mledawn said:

I cried when Hokti was speaking with Willie Jack and all the elders and healers stood behind her in support.

I cry thinking about it.  I'm Assiniboine Sioux and my mother lived on the Ft. Peck reservation in Montana.  She left and was very much "not gonna look back."  I figure I have ancestors guiding me along even though I may not know them.

Willie Jack has the best episodes.  The one in Season 1 where she goes hunting with her father, really was amazing.  So nicely written and acted.  This one was almost as good.  

I'll watch the finale tonight.  Will I need a tissue?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

This episode had two seasons to deliver on, and I think it did well considering that pressure.  They got to me with the editing there near the end.

I have "The Lost Boys" soundtrack on CD.  The best and most 80s secondhand bookstore purchase ever.

11 hours ago, mledawn said:

Where were Willie Jack’s parents?

I assumed they organized the memorial given the situation with Daniel's parents, and that they were preparing the next steps.

• Love 1

a question for our  Americans friends in this topic.
We see quite often in TV and the movies  people arriving in big cities and easily become victims of theft, fraud etc, cause they seem to act like if they are still in their small home town/village, etc.
How realistic is this? especially in 2022 when even in small towns they have internet and when they do a simple search for the big city they can read about the dangers and how to avoid them.
In our case, I find it hard to believe our 4 were so naive as to leave all of their money to the car, especially since they are a bit of thieves themselves.

• Love 1

Had a friend whose car was broken into for change that was in her coin cup, literally the same day she got to NYC; so yeah, it happens. You might not be able to avoid everything, even with precautions.

Edited by Trini
d'oh! dropped word
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1