Type keyword(s) to search

Reservation Dogs - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Zaffy said:

a question for our  Americans friends in this topic.
We see quite often in TV and the movies  people arriving in big cities and easily become victims of theft, fraud etc, cause they seem to act like if they are still in their small home town/village, etc.
How realistic is this? especially in 2022 when even in small towns they have internet and when they do a simple search for the big city they can read about the dangers and how to avoid them.
In our case, I find it hard to believe our 4 were so naive as to leave all of their money to the car, especially since they are a bit of thieves themselves.

Anything's possible--this could have happened to city people who came to the Rez, after all, but I wasn't sure exactly how it happened, like how they parked their car in what seemed like a regular place and then it was just gone. I didn't know why their car would be targeted or what was done to it--did they leave keys inside it? Why would they?

That said, I worried from the start they were going to lose that money, but I think that was more about knowing how TV works than reality. (Though I would be completely nervous about that kind of money IRL too and would never just have it in an envelope sitting around like that.) p.s. I do live in a big US city.

• Like 2

I don't know how or why Brandon Boyd was White Jesus, but he was great!

I see Kenny Boy was still affected by his trip a few weeks ago. And a Lost Boys sax guy sighting. I love this show and the entire cast. It's funny and moving and really special. 

• Love 1
On 9/27/2022 at 7:32 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

I have a soft spot for Big, perhaps in part because I enjoyed the actor on Longmire.  

If you like Zahn McClarnon, the actor who plays Big, you should check him out in "Dark Winds," where he is the lead as tribal police officer Joe Leaphorn.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Knowing he's in Longmire will make me track down and watch Longmire.

Dark Winds is awesome.

I've been seeing a lot of promos for Reservation Dogs on TV. I am surprised, ebcause I don't recall seeing any during season 1, nor during season 2. But now that S2 is finished, they are really pushing it.

• Like 1

Ok - i needed 2 tissues.  What a great send off to the season.  Well done, shit asses!

When Cheese said Lost Boys and Thunderdome, my hubby said "tim the sax guy!!!"  he expected him to show up and was beyond when he was at the end in his purple pants!!!  LOL

I love how respectful Cheese is, like when he introduces himself with his pronouns and then starting the prayer with pronouns.  I was very happy he told Daniel he was mad at him.  That's what they all needed to let go of besides the pain.  The anger.  

Then when Daniel showed up in the waves with them, damn it - i just made myself tear up again!  

• Like 1
  • Love 8
On 9/29/2022 at 3:59 AM, Zaffy said:

a question for our  Americans friends in this topic.
We see quite often in TV and the movies  people arriving in big cities and easily become victims of theft, fraud etc, cause they seem to act like if they are still in their small home town/village, etc.
How realistic is this? especially in 2022 when even in small towns they have internet and when they do a simple search for the big city they can read about the dangers and how to avoid them.
In our case, I find it hard to believe our 4 were so naive as to leave all of their money to the car, especially since they are a bit of thieves themselves.

It looked like they were in a not great neighborhood in LA, which can be dangerous. And their car might have been a target for theft because it was so old it wouldn't have an alarm system making it easier to steal. I literally cringed when Bear opened that glove box full of cash. I knew it was toast. These kids are from a small community where everyone knows everyone else, and they are relatively safe. They have been through so much hardship, but they are completely naive about big city life. I hope Cheese ate the chilaquiles - so delicious!

I love that White Jesus led them to a homeless encampment. So very California.....I am glad they made it to the beach. Cheese's prayer was just as good as his one at Mabel's funeral. I was afraid Elora wouldn't go in the water, but I am glad Bear convinced her. I loved them hugging in the water and the back and forth with Daniel and without him. Gah. Crying now......

Favorite Line: "If I'm a cow, milk me gently" ;-p

So happy this show has been renewed!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

Knowing he's in Longmire will make me track down and watch Longmire.

For the first couple of seasons he plays an occasional recurring character.  Later he becomes more frequently recurring.  He's good in it.  The show is a western procedural that is decent overall with a few caveats.  Gary Farmer (Uncle Brownie) was in an episode.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, hatchetgirl said:

When Cheese said Lost Boys and Thunderdome, my hubby said "tim the sax guy!!!"  he expected him to show up and was beyond when he was at the end in his purple pants!!!  LOL

Tim Cappello. He was the saxophone player in Tina Turner’s band when I saw her in 1985.👍

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Cappello

On 9/28/2022 at 7:05 AM, Zaffy said:

this show bro... this show....

I was a big fan of The Call back in the day. I had a lot of their stuff and listened to them regularly during high school and college. Sadly, singer Michael Been died in 2010. His son, Robert Levon Been, is in the band Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

• Like 2
On 10/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

Tim Cappello

Yep. My hubby knows this whole thing. I didn't want to use his name for fear of totally ruining the spelling and I didn't want to search it because everyone knows the sexy sax guy. Lol 

• Love 1

I never get too emotional over TV shows. Maybe get a bit misty-eyed at some sad scene. whatever.

But I burst into tears and LOUDLY sobbed when they showed Daniel there with them in that beach scene.

What a great show this is. 

• Fire 1
  • Love 4

I'm 4 episodes into Season 1 and still confused about something. Do these kids (and the secondary Indigenous characters) live on a reservation? Or just in a poor town that has a lot of Indigenous People living in it? I ask because there are white people who inhabit their world as well. Is it that these white people enter the reservation, and the Indigenous kids sometimes leave it? Or do they all live in the same not-a-reservation municipality?

They definitely live on a reservation. The white characters, like Kenny Boy or the basketball coach/drivers ed instructor, live on the periphery. Pretty sure the clinic where Rita works is on the reservation, but not sure if they attend a reservation school that hires white teachers or if it’s a public school. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Thanks, @ZuluQueenOfDwarves. One of the things I love about the show is how it's giving me an education in what some reservations are like. I guess I'm out of it due to always having lived in big cities, but I've thought of reservations either being pueblos (like in Taos) or extreme-rural (like the fictional one in Yellowstone). I never would have dreamed that they can be essentially urban.

On 11/30/2022 at 8:02 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Thanks, @ZuluQueenOfDwarves. One of the things I love about the show is how it's giving me an education in what some reservations are like. I guess I'm out of it due to always having lived in big cities, but I've thought of reservations either being pueblos (like in Taos) or extreme-rural (like the fictional one in Yellowstone). I never would have dreamed that they can be essentially urban.

“Urban” might be a stretch; think more small-town-rural than big-city-urban. 😉   Even in the rural environments, though, you can find varying degrees of mingling between tribal members and the surrounding communities - schools, non-native locals leasing and running businesses on reservation land, workers (both skilled and unskilled), etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Reservation Dogs Season 3    streaming 2 episodes on Aug. 2, 2023     Hulu   10 episodes 

This season, the Rez Dogs find themselves stranded in Cali and have to figure out their way back home. After making it back to Okern, Elora considers the idea of college, Bear comes across a conspiracy theorist named Maximus (Graham Greene), Willie Jack grows more invested in healing her community and Cheese, well, he still lives with his grandmother who's not his grandmother. Meanwhile, the aunties, uncles and elders explore their pasts and try to heal old wounds. We learn more about tribal cop Big (Zahn McClarnon); cannabis-loving Brownie (Gary Farmer); physics-obsessed Bucky (Wes Studi); the enigmatic Deer Lady (Kaniehtiio Horn); Bear's mom Rita (Sarah Podemski) and her cousin Teenie (Tamara Podemski); Willie Jack's dad Leon (Jon Proudstar); Daniel's mom Hokti (Lily Gladstone); medicine man Old Man Fixico (Richard Ray Whitman); junkyard prophet Kenny Boy (Kirk Fox); gum-smacking Bev (Jana Schmieding); and ride-less rap duo Mose (Lil Mike) and Mekko (FunnyBone). Season three is full of road trips, bathroom wisdom, unexpected fathers, boarding schools, Bigfoot, rumors, revenge and healing.

• Like 5
  • Love 6

The Reservation Dogs are back for one last ride!!

As soon as I saw that the premiere was basically going to be told by the Spirit Guide, I knew we were in for a wild ride!  Makes sense that basically after failing to reconnect with his father and finally get a form of closure that Bear would still be at a loss and would separate once more from the group (even if he wasn't really aware of it and was delayed by another debate with the Guide.)  Hopefully he isn't separated from the rest for too long since all four actors are fantastic together, but I'm curious to see what is in store for him.

Glad they were able to get Graham Greene to show up here, since he's probably one of the few recognizable Native American actors that hadn't appeared yet (I think the only ones left on my personal bucket list would be Gil Birmingham and Adam Beach.)  Like with Wes Studi, Zahn McClarnon, etc., I like that he played against type and instead of another variation of the mentor-type character he's done for numerous projects, he plays a conspiracy theorist who clearly wasn't all there.  Initially provided some humor there, but he ended up being a tragic figure after hearing his backstory.  And seeing the clips of him younger and with his own group of friends/family was probably a big moment for Bear.  Could he be looking at a version of his future?

Great seeing Teenie again and I liked her scene with Elora and pointing out how she really seems to have had it rough but continues to solider on.  Curious to see if we will meet her father.

Cheese would be the one to accept that homeless man's free donuts!  And be polite with a rambling fellow bus rider!

Willie Jack is still the best!

Loved that we got a final send-off for White Jesus.  He can get at least two hotdogs now thanks to Teenie!!

Can't wait to see how this all ends!

• Like 3

I was trying to think who Graham Greene reminded me of in this episode and I settled on Yemana (Jack Soo) from Barney Miller.  Something about the voice and line delivery, I guess.

Not sure where they shot episode two what with Bear walking across a desert or salt flat under a blazing sun and then the rest of the episode looking like every show filmed in rainy British Columbia.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I'm guessing they used a green screen for the desert/spirit landscape.

I thought the close up of Greene with a single tear was a wry comment on that stupid ad from decades ago with the similar graphic.

And... what is a guy who died at Little Big Horn doing there? OK is not MT.

In the first episode, I laughed at the comment that someone should write a book about white Jesus. Heh. 

I love this show so much. I wish this wasn't the last season. 

• Like 1
On 8/2/2023 at 5:49 AM, thuganomics85 said:

And seeing the clips of him younger and with his own group of friends/family was probably a big moment for Bear.  Could he be looking at a version of his future?

The friends were Bear’s family/elders. He mentioned Mabel and Brownie, who are Elora’s grandmother and uncle. Buchanan is Bucky. Irene is Cheese’s adoptive grandmother. 

On 8/2/2023 at 2:35 PM, possibilities said:

Interesting choice to not have Bear talk to the cops and try to intervene in some way. The guy wasn't hurting anybody. 

More likely than not he’s a danger to himself. He’s drinking filthy water and definitely shot Bear with a tranquilizer dart. Also, I can see Bear, having had the experiences he’s had, not wanting to tangle with non-res cops if he can avoid it. 

19 hours ago, possibilities said:

And... what is a guy who died at Little Big Horn doing there? OK is not MT.

He’s Bear’s ancestor who’s been called to be his spirit guide. Hence calling him “Nephew/Grandson”. He’s not a ghost haunting a specific place, he’s from the spirit world and can move about freely. Which is why he’s able to hang out with Genghis Khan, who, to my knowledge, never left Asia. 

I’d like to see Gregory Zaragoza on here at some point. His son Román worked with Dallas Goldtooth (William Knifeman) at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, but I doubt he’d be able to make an appearance. 

Edited by ZuluQueenOfDwarves
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

I’d like to see Gregory Zaragoza on here at some point. His son Román worked with Dallas Goldtooth (William Knifeman) at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, but I doubt he’d be able to make an appearance. 

If anyone else is wondering why those names sound familiar, Román Zaragoza plays the Native American ghost on Ghosts, and his (IRL) father guest starred in one episode in a flashback as his character's father.

I  confess I was  bored with the premiere..especially episode two.
This whole "spirits and allegories and whatever" can be a really tiring storytelling sometimes. The spirit, in particular, really annoyed me in this one.

Edited by Zaffy
On 8/3/2023 at 11:14 AM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

More likely than not he’s a danger to himself. He’s drinking filthy water and definitely shot Bear with a tranquilizer dart.

Agreed.  This was him calm and in a lucid moment, and may not represent the extent of his condition.  There was a social worker there, and all the responders seemed to know him.

It was a touching performance and my favorite part of the first two eps.  I was also glad to see Teenie again.

I feel like a little spirit guide goes a long way, and this was a bit much for me.

On 8/2/2023 at 4:49 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Gil Birmingham

Yes please.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

This was him calm and in a lucid moment, and may not represent the extent of his condition.  There was a social worker there, and all the responders seemed to know him.

Also, when Bear first saw the cops approaching, they looked to Bear like they actually might be aliens. So that's another reason he didn't run out immediately to stop them. 

On 8/3/2023 at 11:14 AM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

The friends were Bear’s family/elders. He mentioned Mabel and Brownie, who are Elora’s grandmother and uncle. Buchanan is Bucky. Irene is Cheese’s adoptive grandmother. 

I was surprised that Bear didn't seem to realize this and asked Maximus where they are now.

I loved Graham Greene in this.  He's one of my favorite actors and I'd be happy watching him read the phone book.  His performance in Thunderheart is amazing.

There were some cute moments in these two episodes such as "spirit fingers", Bear saying he was practicing for a play, and him trying to summon William Knifeman by saying his name three times like he was Beetle Juice.  My one complaint is wouldn't the gang have noticed Bear wasn't on the bus?  There weren't a lot of people on the bus so it would have been pretty obvious he wasn't there.  Also, since the girls thought he was in front of Cheese in line wouldn't they probably have been sitting together?

I liked seeing more of Teenie.  In the season 2 episode where Teenie came back for Mabel's passing she and Big got pretty flirty.  I'm kind of hoping they end up together. 

Edited by Abmis
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Also, when Bear first saw the cops approaching, they looked to Bear like they actually might be aliens. So that's another reason he didn't run out immediately to stop them.

I believe that was what Maximus saw when he looked out the window.  When Bear looked he saw the cops.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
On 8/6/2023 at 10:23 AM, Abmis said:

My one complaint is wouldn't the gang have noticed Bear wasn't on the bus?  There weren't a lot of people on the bus so it would have been pretty obvious he wasn't there.  Also, since the girls thought he was in front of Cheese in line wouldn't they probably have been sitting together?

Remember that Bear was sitting all by himself on the first leg of their bus journey, away from the others. They probably figured he was sitting alone toward the back again on the second bus.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Definitely light on the laughs for this episode.  Noticed Sterlin Harjo himself wrote this one, so this was clearly an important story he wanted to tell.

Nice seeing the Deer Lady again and I thought it was interesting how they connected her story to the history of Indian Boarding Schools that is starting to come out into the open more.  I was always vaguely aware of it and the atrocities behind it, but it feels like more and more media is finally starting to show it on screen (there was a sizable subplot about it on the Yellowstone spin-off/prequel, 1923.)  Crazy to think this was all happening only about 100 years ago.  Who knows how many families were separated and how much history/heritage was lost because of it?

Bear's finally back on the rez at least.  I wonder if he'll tell Big about what happened since Big had his own history with the Deer Lady?

Great acting all around here for this one.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Who knows how many families were separated and how much history/heritage was lost because of it?

At the height of the US boarding school policy, approximately 83% of American Indian children were in boarding schools. The US is attempting to locate children's graves, and thus far they have substantiated 500.

• Sad 7

Boarding schools were in operation for almost the entirety of the 20th century. I once heard that any living Native adult who hasn’t personally experienced boarding school has a parent or grandparent who did. I don’t know how true that is, but it’s horrifying. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
On 8/9/2023 at 2:10 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Nice seeing the Deer Lady again and I thought it was interesting how they connected her story to the history of Indian Boarding Schools that is starting to come out into the open more.  I was always vaguely aware of it and the atrocities behind it, but it feels like more and more media is finally starting to show it on screen (there was a sizable subplot about it on the Yellowstone spin-off/prequel, 1923.)

There is also a great show on Amazon Prime called Three Pines starring Alfred Molina that has a very sad plot revolving around the Residential Schools. It has been cancelled but it's still worth watching. Very heartbreaking and horrifying that this was happening here. I never knew it until this year.

I loved this Deer Lady episode. The whole thing had a horror movie vibe with the kids and the scary gibberish backwards speaking nuns. They did a good job conveying the nightmare these poor kids were in.

"Are you a good man Bear?" "I try to be". I almost cried when she told Bear that he didn't need to worry about turning into his dad, that his mom had ensured that wouldn't happen, and I won't spoil it, but the actual ending did make me teary. This show. Teaching me, making me laugh, making me cry. What a gift.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

There is also a great show on Amazon Prime called Three Pines starring Alfred Molina that has a very sad plot revolving around the Residential Schools. It has been cancelled but it's still worth watching. Very heartbreaking and horrifying that this was happening here. I never knew it until this year.

I loved this Deer Lady episode. The whole thing had a horror movie vibe with the kids and the scary gibberish backwards speaking nuns. They did a good job conveying the nightmare these poor kids were in.

"Are you a good man Bear?" "I try to be". I almost cried when she told Bear that he didn't need to worry about turning into his dad, that his mom had ensured that wouldn't happen, and I won't spoil it, but the actual ending did make me teary. This show. Teaching me, making me laugh, making me cry. What a gift.

This was a gorgeous, tragic episode. I definitely got teary as well. Just beautifully acted, written, directed. And yeah, educational as well, I didn't really know about the Residential schools. Horrifying. At first I didn't get the gibberish...in fact, I had closed captioning on and thought whoever was doing the captioning was being racist, calling the language 'gibberish'...but then I got it. It was a brilliant way of conveying, as you said, the nightmare these kids were suddenly thrust into. 

• Like 4

I also watched the Three Pines episodes... which is why I stopped watching this  one when I realized what it was about..
I just could not cope with it.. 

edited to add:
ok, I somehow managed to watch it, I skipped most of the school scenes though.. this was hard to watch. 

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

So it was wish fulfillment, the nun killed in the forest and eventually the predatory wolf killed by the Deer Lady?

She has a certain presence, the way she sped her car into the parking space in front of the diner, walks in, surveys the space — vaguely menacing.

But then she sits down and orders two pies like an excited girl having the opportunity for the first time as a grown up to get whatever she wants.

Then she orders Bear to come sit with her.  Did she deliberately drop the book on the floor so that he would see the hoofs?  She would know that he’s heard of her, not be freaked out?

Did the old man expect her?  Did he kind of know who she was, why she had come?