Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
BizBuzz

Indispensable Kitchen Gadgets

Recommended Posts

Anyone have something like a soda stream device? I'm trying to drink more water, and this morning I was wishing I had some Perrier rather than plain water. I keep seeing ads for the gadgets that make carbonated water. They look very tempting.

Share this post


Link to post

32 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Anyone have something like a soda stream device? I'm trying to drink more water, and this morning I was wishing I had some Perrier rather than plain water. I keep seeing ads for the gadgets that make carbonated water. They look very tempting.

I have had a SodaStream for so long that I  don’t even remember when I got it, it was a gift so I don’t use it a ton and mainly just use it to make soda water for cocktails because I never remember to pick any up at the store but it works well for that and has held up. I like that it doesn’t have to be plugged in or anything so you can put it anywhere. I would probably buy a new one if it broke so I guess that’s an endorsement! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have a Soda Stream as well, and I also mainly use it for parties to make club soda.  But they are really easy to use and the CO2 bottle lasts a fair amount of time for the money.  You can buy flavors, or you can make your own.  My mom likes the sugar free grapefruit one, and she doesn't use the full amount recommended, so it's like a hint of grapefruit and it's pretty refreshing instead of cloying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, larapu2000 said:

I have a Soda Stream as well, and I also mainly use it for parties to make club soda.  But they are really easy to use and the CO2 bottle lasts a fair amount of time for the money.  You can buy flavors, or you can make your own.  My mom likes the sugar free grapefruit one, and she doesn't use the full amount recommended, so it's like a hint of grapefruit and it's pretty refreshing instead of cloying.

Do you have the model that doesn't require power, just works by pressing the button to put the carbonation in?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Do you have the model that doesn't require power, just works by pressing the button to put the carbonation in?

Yep!! No electric needed!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I ordered a SodaStream on Wednesday through Amazon Prime. It's not arriving until Tuesday. WTH Amazon? I thought the point of Prime was next day delivery.

Share this post


Link to post

12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I ordered a SodaStream on Wednesday through Amazon Prime. It's not arriving until Tuesday. WTH Amazon? I thought the point of Prime was next day delivery.

I have been also noticing longer shipping times; sometimes a prime item will take 7 days. It’s not Christmas so I’m not cutting them any slack. 

Share this post


Link to post

I'd have one on my counter now if I had gotten my lazy ass off the couch and gone to BB&B.

ETA: I asked my husband to put grab bars in our shower. Those got delivered next day.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My SodaStream arrived today - it came by UPS. When I checked tracking last night, it said it had arrived in Baltimore at 7:34 pm. I thought it ought to be able to make it 30 miles in one day. Sure enough, it was here by noon. You'd think Prime members should get FedEx overnight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have a Drinkmate.  I bought it after buying the Fizzini, which I don't think is made anymore.  I thought the Fizzini would be easier on counter space, which it was, but it went through CO2 cartridges the way a Hummer goes through gasoline.  I like the Drinkmate, but you can only make so much fizzy water at a time, since the bottle's size limits you.  So the alternative is to get multiple bottles (say, for a party) or forget it and buy a soda siphon, which I think is my next purchase (along with a whipped-cream siphon, but that's a whole other story).  Maybe I should just start stockpiling seltzer.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/30/2019 at 9:52 AM, chessiegal said:

I ordered a SodaStream on Wednesday through Amazon Prime. It's not arriving until Tuesday. WTH Amazon? I thought the point of Prime was next day delivery.

Prime is two day delivery, supposedly. I too have noticed a delay in several items I ordered that were listed as Prime. We pay the extra the least they could do is make good on their promise!

Share this post


Link to post

I took a shower and got dressed this morning with the intention of putting the clean dishes away from the dishwasher. When I got to the kitchen, I found that the dish putting away fairy had struck again!

I am loving my SodaStream. No more buying bubbly water at the store.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I bought a Faegor brand multi-cooker instead of an InstantPot. It's huge and I've used it 4 times. I'd like to donate it.

I looked at Goodwill's site and it appears they will not accept it. There is a consignment shop nearby where I've seen food processors and stand mixers. I guess I can ask them if they'll take it.

Anyone have other ideas? I'm not interested in Craig's List or eBay.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Anyone have other ideas? I'm not interested in Craig's List or eBay.

Habitat Restore might take it. Salvation Army near me takes things like that but I have seen them at Goodwill so that must depend on where you live.

A small shelter, food program or church would probably appreciate it but that might require legwork. Our municipal environmental agency has a list of local charities and what items they take to help cut down on people throwing them away but I realize that not everyone has that available to them but it couldn’t hurt to check. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Habitat Restore might take it. Salvation Army near me takes things like that but I have seen them at Goodwill so that must depend on where you live.

A small shelter, food program or church would probably appreciate it but that might require legwork. Our municipal environmental agency has a list of local charities and what items they take to help cut down on people throwing them away but I realize that not everyone has that available to them but it couldn’t hurt to check. 

Thanks! I'll look into those kinds of places.

Share this post


Link to post

Still loving my instant pot, and I need to buy a new food processor. I've needed one for a year now. As inexpensive as possible, but still able to do a good job. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/17/2019 at 5:23 AM, Anela said:

Still loving my instant pot, and I need to buy a new food processor. I've needed one for a year now. As inexpensive as possible, but still able to do a good job. 

I love my Cuisinart.  It's large enough to do a double pie crust recipe.  MIne is an 8 cup, I think it was around $75.

I would love to get a smaller food processor for smaller jobs.  Sometimes it's silly to drag out the big one when I just need one half the size or so.  Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post

I'm embarrassed to say that I now have three food processors in three different sizes:  the full-size (13-cup?) Cuisinart I've had since dinosaurs roamed the earth (but I bought all the blades, and the motor has a lifetime guarantee, so I'll use it till the universe explodes), the tiny Cuisinart Mini-Mate, almost as old as the big one, and I recently bought this one (because I liked all the colors that it came in).  Kidding aside, it's very useful to have one that's smaller than the behemoth, not only because it's easier to handle but also because it does a better job when all the ingredients don't just go flying off to stick to the sides of the bowl because there's too little stuff in a too-big container.

I bought mine on eBay for about the same price as the one on Amazon.  It's very basic, but if all you need is to chop things up, it's perfectly fine.  You can't beat the price.  And it's a pretty color.

ETA:  Well, I guess you can beat the price.  I just saw Ninja and Proctor-Silex models at Target that are under $20.  So a lot I know.

On an unrelated gadget subject, I'm just about to cave in and finally buy the Butterball electric countertop turkey fryer.  There's a long sad story about how we never get turkey leftovers at Thanksgiving, but I'll spare you.  I've watched a ton of YouTube videos and read even more Amazon reviews, and everyone seems to love this thing.  Has anyone here had any experience with it?

Edited by Mondrianyone · Reason: Original post not wordy enough.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I've asked this before with no responses, but I'm seeing ads for a Fridgedaire oven that has an air fry function. Has anyone used air frying? My Breville countertop oven has an air fry function, complete with a special basket as seen in the oven ad.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/11/2019 at 8:12 PM, chessiegal said:

I've asked this before with no responses, but I'm seeing ads for a Fridgedaire oven that has an air fry function. Has anyone used air frying? My Breville countertop oven has an air fry function, complete with a special basket as seen in the oven ad.

I've been using an air fryer for work functions (corporate food shows), and I've only used it for tater tots, but it does get them nice and crispy, even if they do require a few basket shakes during cooking time.  Easier to mess with a pan and preheating an oven, for sure!  I haven't tried it with anything else, but my boyfriend wants to try out some other foods on it, so I will update if he does!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/22/2019 at 11:39 AM, biakbiak said:

I have had a SodaStream for so long that I  don’t even remember when I got it, it was a gift so I don’t use it a ton and mainly just use it to make soda water for cocktails because I never remember to pick any up at the store but it works well for that and has held up. I like that it doesn’t have to be plugged in or anything so you can put it anywhere. I would probably buy a new one if it broke so I guess that’s an endorsement! 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/11/2019 at 7:12 PM, chessiegal said:

I've asked this before with no responses, but I'm seeing ads for a Fridgedaire oven that has an air fry function. Has anyone used air frying? My Breville countertop oven has an air fry function, complete with a special basket as seen in the oven ad.

I have a Cosori air fryer, the smaller model, via Amazon for $100.  I use it almost every day.  Fish, chicken (wings, legs, thighs), pork chops, tater tots, carrots, etc. -- so far the only disappointment was a pork cutlet.  The cut was too thin for air frying and was overdone.  I'll never do pork chops another way though -- they were tender and juicy and the fat was just crisp enough.

I do ribeyes in it too, and the fat could be a bit more crispy but the meat itself is juicy and tender.  In winter, when we can't grill, the ribeyes will be in the air fryer.

Still have lots of recipes to try.  I'm really surprised that everything gets crispy but is still juicy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Do any of you own a reliable kitchen scale?  Can you recommend one?   I have been looking at them for a long time, and there are so many to chose from.   However, it seems like reviewers can't come to an agreement on one that they like the best.

Edited by icemiser69

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Do any of you own a reliable kitchen scale?  Can you recommend one?   I have been looking at them for a long time, and there are so many to chose from.   However, it seems like reviewers can't come to an agreement on one that they like the best.

I have this Oxo Good Grips scale and like it very much. The readout panel pulls out if you have a larger container on it. I remember ATK giving it a thumbs up once. I got mine at BB&B using a 20% off coupon.

Oxo Good Grips digital scale.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

However, it seems like reviewers can't come to an agreement on one that they like the best.

Here's a list of somebody's 8 Best.  It seems like a good resource for figuring out what features are most important to you and basing a decision on that.

I've had this scale for about ten years.  I switched from a bigger, more cumbersome one when I didn't need to pack up and weigh manuscripts to ship anymore (that's all digital now!).  I actually have two--the second one I got on sale for $15, and I use it in my project area for weighing nonfood items.  It would be nice to have the pullout panel that chessiegal mentions, but this Escali has a hold button that fulfills the same purpose.  I love all the colors it comes in, and it takes up almost zero storage space.  I just lean it against the backsplash when it's not in use.  Also super easy to clean, just swipe off the glass.  I do wish it had a light-up function, though.

P.S.  This shows range of colors, but the price for the green one is much lower at Amazon.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

The  Cook's Essentials Multi Use Strainer w/ Two Bowls & Lids has been a game changer for me. I bought a set for my parents, sister and a good friend for Christmas. 
 

That seems like a paid advertisement but it’s just copy/pasted from QVC. 
 

I was never good at getting grease out of ground beef etc.  This thing is awesome. You get all grease off and there’s a pour spout to get rid of. It’s got lots of uses but that’s to me by far the best. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/9/2020 at 1:55 PM, chessiegal said:

I have this Oxo Good Grips scale and like it very much. The readout panel pulls out if you have a larger container on it. I remember ATK giving it a thumbs up once. I got mine at BB&B using a 20% off coupon.

Oxo Good Grips digital scale.

That's what I have and I love it!

And yes, ATK rated it as the best.  Almost everything in my kitchen comes from their equipment reviews.  Don't think I've ever been disappointed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone have or have used a countertop ice maker? Our ice maker in the fridge keeps freezing up, which requires taking the hair dryer every other day to get it working again. My husband says I won't be happy with the ice they make - they melt quickly, plus once the ice is made, it has to go into the freezer (well, duh).

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/3/2020 at 12:28 PM, chessiegal said:

 

Anyone have or have used a countertop ice maker?

 

We had one briefly. It made small cubes, and not a lot, but maybe better than your fridge ice maker, if you have to keep defrosting it.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size