Type keyword(s) to search

Indispensable Kitchen Gadgets

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Glad you found something you like, @Scatterbrained. I have a set of glass Lock&Lock containers, which sound similar. Also two sets in plastic, for non-fridge storage, although my husband keeps using the glass ones in the pantry, which continues to irk me.

I posted something a few years ago about cleaning the lid gaskets when they get mildewed, but I can't find it. Anyway, after ruining one by using a knife, I found a YT video that showed how to use a credit card to slide out the gasket, and that works perfectly. So, should you ever need to do that . . .

Thanks for the tip, Mondrian.  The Glass Lock containers are probably similar.  I think the deciding factor for me was the fact that a set was available at my local Target and I needed to spend a certain dollar amount for Target rewards.  The first set is s working well enough that I will probably buy another set.  The stack so nicely in the fridge.

• Like 2

After 23 years, we have decided to sell our sailboat and become full-time landlubbers. My husband is getting all our stuff off the boat. I equipped the galley with everything one would need. The one thing I'm most pleased with is a wonderful Cuisinart chef's knife. It's sturdy and well-balanced. Some days it's the little things.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 2/28/2023 at 9:44 AM, chessiegal said:

It's not the taste, it's the size of the grain. I use Himalayan sea salt that comes in a large grain - too big for normal use. I have an OXO salt grinder that has settings for different size grains from coarse to fine.

So... 

After claiming that I had no interest in purchasing a salt grinder, I ordered what is probably the same OXO salt grinder you have yesterday on Amazon. 

The story is as follows:

• Spring 2023 - Loving my new pepper grinder; still no interest in grinding salt
  • Summer 2023 - Eating many (MANY) tomato sandwiches. Saw a Himalayan sea salt "grinder" with the salt in it for $2.99 at the supermarket Purchased it and enjoyed many more tomato sandwiches.
  • Late summer 2023 - Started using the sea salt grinder on many other things.
  • Early fall 2023 - Piece of crap $2.99 grinder stopped working.
  • Yesterday - Bought a good one.
  • Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6

I posted somewhere a few weeks ago (can't find it in this thread) about using salt in a cheapo pepper grinder I happened to have. I was worried about ruining the grinder--I don't know why. Anyway, I went ahead and bought some grinding salt, and it's working fine (or coarse). I love it. I'm a convert to ground salt.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
26 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I posted somewhere a few weeks ago (can't find it in this thread) about using salt in a cheapo pepper grinder I happened to have. I was worried about ruining the grinder--I don't know why. Anyway, I went ahead and bought some grinding salt, and it's working fine (or coarse). I love it. I'm a convert to ground salt.

Per the internet, which I spent a little time looking at yesterday, salt will eventually corrode steel parts. Fancy ones that use steel put some kind of coating on the steel. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
19 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

salt will eventually corrode steel parts

That was my concern. But I don't even know if this grinder has steel parts, so maybe it won't even be an issue. Anyway, it won't come close to breaking the bank if I have to replace it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

That was my concern. But I don't even know if this grinder has steel parts, so maybe it won't even be an issue. Anyway, it won't come close to breaking the bank if I have to replace it.

If you do have to replace it, I recommend going for something above my $2.99, including the salt, price point. 

• Wink 2
  • LOL 1
On 10/23/2023 at 5:51 AM, Shelbie said:

About a year ago I started using a dishwasher cleaner monthly. It never smells odd and my glasses and cutlery sparkle instead of looking cloudy.

Yeah, I'm doing mine about every 2 months - the water where I live is so hard that you pretty much have to use a dishwasher cleaner to get the lime residue out of the hoses or say adios to your dishwasher way before time.

• Like 1