Type keyword(s) to search

Announcers We Love and/or Hate

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I don't know where else to ask this, but have we been getting any of the segments on Japanese culture and history?  I don't remember seeing any in Rio, and i haven't see any for Tokyo. i think I have to go all the way back to London for the last time I saw those reports.

I saw a segment on the Today show where Hoda and Savannah learned some basic Japanese words and phrases. Does that count? 🙄

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

@katisha mentioned Ian Thorpe and how great his swimming commentary is on the Australian broadcast. His commentary is so good that journalists are writing articles about it - here's a very good piece that also has lots of nice photos.

• Love 6

Re:  Rowdy Gaines - I have a sleeping schedule which is mostly that of a vampire so I'm up at night enjoying the overnight coverage where Rowdy seems to be. I totally and seriously respect and appreciate his accomplishments, and love his enthusiasm, but it sometimes startles me if I happen to doze off and hear his excitement!

But for insomniacs like me, the overnight coverage is pretty awesome. Also the SNBC channel!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:
6 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

I don't know where else to ask this, but have we been getting any of the segments on Japanese culture and history? 

This isn’t exactly what you asked about, but the gymnastics announcers suddenly began saying Japanese names in the family name-given name order, after doing the western version forever.  I don’t know why they never did the Japanese names in the proper order, because they’ve been doing Chinese and Korean names the right way for some time now.  Odd.  But at least they’ve finally adjusted.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I don't know where else to ask this, but have we been getting any of the segments on Japanese culture and history?  I don't remember seeing any in Rio, and i haven't see any for Tokyo. i think I have to go all the way back to London for the last time I saw those reports.

It may be that they have decided to cut back, but it also may be that covid restrictions/concerns have limited the filming. The Today Show hosts went on a bus tour of Tokyo yesterday where they were not allowed to leave the bus and they have mentioned they are restricted to their hotel, sports venues and the broadcast center.

A segment on Japanese whiskey and sake was shown which seemed to be half filmed on location and half in a bar in New York or London.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 7/20/2021 at 8:14 PM, HartofDixie said:

Johnny Weir will be there too not sure what he’s covering.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRgXgyYhnZT/

Maybe he's there to try and get his wardrobe back from Nastia Liukin?

So I'm nominating Dan Hicks and Rowdy Gaines.  I find them hideously annoying, and someone really needs to tranquilize Gaines in particular.

I'm really liking the announcers for the rowing, though.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:19 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

His commentating is fine but Michael Phelps is aging in dog years. Wow.

I actually think he looks better now.  Or, as my best friend says, less ugly.  Maybe it's the beard hiding half his face.  I still can't stand him, though.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/29/2021 at 1:30 PM, proserpina65 said:

and someone really needs to tranquilize Gaines in particular.

lol I kinda like him. He reminds me of our Howie Meeker commentating Hockey Night in Canada. I always thought he'd die of a coronary on site. Luckily he died peacefully at home last year at age 97. RIP.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 4
Just now, ferjy said:

lol I kinda like him. He reminds me of our Howie Meeker commentating Hockey Night in Canada. I always thought he'd die of a coronary on site. lol Luckily he died peacefully at home at age 97. RIP.

I don't hate him, I just think he needs to take it down about 10 notches.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Harry24 said:

This isn’t exactly what you asked about, but the gymnastics announcers suddenly began saying Japanese names in the family name-given name order, after doing the western version forever.  I don’t know why they never did the Japanese names in the proper order, because they’ve been doing Chinese and Korean names the right way for some time now.  Odd.  But at least they’ve finally adjusted.

I heard someone with NBC mention the name order issue, maybe during the Opening Ceremony.  I didn’t catch what the reason was for the change, but I am pretty sure they gave one.   Boy, I really couldn’t be less helpful, could I?

• LOL 4

WHAT was that pink monstrosity I just saw on Nastia? She looked like she should've been doing lines at Studio 54 instead of commentary for a gymnastics competition. And I usually don't notice what people are wearing too often but dayum.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I don't hate her but there's an announcer on the USA network for track and field, I only know her first name is Michelle.  She must be new to this because she stumbles over words and sounds hesitant a lot.  There's another female named Alicia who's pretty good.  There's also a British announcer, I don't know his name and he's good too.  

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I don't hate her but there's an announcer on the USA network for track and field, I only know her first name is Michelle.  She must be new to this because she stumbles over words and sounds hesitant a lot.  There's another female named Alicia who's pretty good.  There's also a British announcer, I don't know his name and he's good too.  

That's Michelle Carter, shot put gold medalist from Rio. She was injured this year, so I guess she got the announcing gig.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

She's very not good (and I'm generally quite forgiving of announcers). It bugs me that clearly the A team is also announcing at least some of the same races (those with top athletes), but they save those versions for NBC.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

That's Michelle Carter, shot put gold medalist from Rio. She was injured this year, so I guess she got the announcing gig.

Ok, thanks.  I noticed she does field commentary, not track, so that makes sense.  She's obviously good at her sport since she won a gold medal, but out of her league as an announcer.

• Love 2
On 7/24/2021 at 6:48 PM, tanyak said:

Rebecca Lowe. She’s the host of NBC’s Premiere League coverage. She’s wonderful, and I think she got a promotion for these games. She was also in Rio, but I think Al Michaels was host of the daytime coverage in 2016. I know he’s starting to cut back on Sunday night NFL games, so I’m guessing he decided not to come.

I am really loving Rebecca's daytime weekend coverage. She is light-years better than Mike Tirico's night-time coverage -- and she wears some of the most beautiful dresses I've ever seen!

I also like the Australian man who's covering Track. I've never caught his name yet, but he's fantastic!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Ok, thanks.  I noticed she does field commentary, not track, so that makes sense.  She's obviously good at her sport since she won a gold medal, but out of her league as an announcer.

Ok, it's not just me, then.  She sounds like she needs to go home and practice.  When I was a kid I used to pretend to be a sports and newscaster in the mirror.  I was probably better than her even then.  😆

• Love 1

I've been enjoying OBS' "integrated" track and field feed, where they show you a little bit of everything happening in a given session. It's a team of one American (John Anderson) and several Australians/New Zealanders (sorry, I don't know which they are because I don't know their names - except I know the woman's first name is Jane).

They have an easy banter among them, with a lot of wry humor and genuine enthusiasm when something exciting happens, and they cut back and forth between the simultaneous track and field events without leaving you feeling like you're missing anything.

Watching track and field hurdles, one of the announcers said something about “the athletes in danger of being on the podium!” Hold on, what? 

Also, that same announcer or another kept referring to Anna Cockrell as a “youngster.” I thought “what is she, 12!?” Mom and I suspected she’s around 19. Wikipedia says she 23!? Is 23 considered to be a youngster now? 

• LOL 1
50 minutes ago, Frisky Wig said:

Watching track and field hurdles, one of the announcers said something about “the athletes in danger of being on the podium!” Hold on, what? 

Also, that same announcer or another kept referring to Anna Cockrell as a “youngster.” I thought “what is she, 12!?” Mom and I suspected she’s around 19. Wikipedia says she 23!? Is 23 considered to be a youngster now? 

She's 2 years older than Sydney McLaughlin. 

If they gave out medals to announcers, NBC’s Ato Bolton and Sanya Richards-Ross deserve a hundred golds.  I love both of them.  So knowledgeable and insightful.  They explain things in such a relatable and easy to understand manner.  I loved how excited and awestruck both of them were about the men’s 400m hurdles.

• Love 7
On 8/3/2021 at 12:55 AM, blackwing said:

If they gave out medals to announcers, NBC’s Ato Bolton and Sanya Richards-Ross deserve a hundred golds.  I love both of them.  So knowledgeable and insightful.  They explain things in such a relatable and easy to understand manner.  I loved how excited and awestruck both of them were about the men’s 400m hurdles.

Not a complaint, and certainly not directed at anyone specific, but I have been puzzled why, among all the hosts, commentators and analysts for the NBC channels, they use so many British and Commonwealth citizens (or maybe they are ex citizens). Like there aren’t enough talking heads and experts in the US? Or maybe the other Americans are tied up to other networks?

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Not a complaint, and certainly not directed at anyone specific, but I have been puzzled why, among all the hosts, commentators and analysts for the NBC channels, they use so many British and Commonwealth citizens (or maybe they are ex citizens). Like there aren’t enough talking heads and experts in the US? Or maybe the other Americans are tied up to other networks?

I do think that NBC makes an effort to have former American "stars" of the sport act as the commentators or analysts - Rowdy Gaines and Michael Phelps in swimming, Cynthia Potter in diving, Nastia Liukin and Tim Daggett in gymnastics, etc.  As for track and field... Sanya Richards-Ross is a naturalised American who was born in Jamaica and moved here as a teen.  Similarly, Ato Boldon was born in Trinidad and Tobago and competed for them, but he moved to the U.S. in his teens and went to school here, and he also has American citizenship now.

But you're right, I don't know why the English lady is the weekend anchor, other than maybe she just happens to work for NBC. 

Rather curiously, the great Michael Johnson works for BBC.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I do think that NBC makes an effort to have former American "stars" of the sport act as the commentators or analysts - Rowdy Gaines and Michael Phelps in swimming, Cynthia Potter in diving, Nastia Liukin and Tim Daggett in gymnastics, etc.  As for track and field... Sanya Richards-Ross is a naturalised American who was born in Jamaica and moved here as a teen.  Similarly, Ato Boldon was born in Trinidad and Tobago and competed for them, but he moved to the U.S. in his teens and went to school here, and he also has American citizenship now.

But you're right, I don't know why the English lady is the weekend anchor, other than maybe she just happens to work for NBC. 

I should have added that  I watch a lot of the non core sports (the ones that don’t end up on NBC prime time) and they seem to pop up more there.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Rickster said:

The British lady comes to my mind because I had never seen her before, and I was surprised and puzzled that she's an analyst for NBC.  

38 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

The British lady comes to my mind because I had never seen her before, and I was surprised and puzzled that she's an analyst for NBC.  

Rebecca Lowe? She's been with NBC Sports for awhile now and before was with ESPN. 

54 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Rebecca Lowe? She's been with NBC Sports for awhile now and before was with ESPN. 

Oh, ok.  I'd never seen her before the Olympics.  She looks like she's ready for tea.  LOL

• Love 1

I live in upstate New York and you might have heard that our governor is kind of in a difficult situation. It's a pretty big story.

So it's kind of funny/sad to watch the our NBC affiliate's eleven pm broadcast where it is all Olympics, Olympics, that local Olympian (who actually lives a hundred miles away), our local correspondent in Japan (who is not a local news personality and is probably doing "local" segments for dozens of NBC stations) weather, local sports. . . back to the Olympics!

• LOL 3

I discovered that Sanya Richard-Ross has a workout series on my smart treadmill (same one that Michael Phelps is selling to US viewers). She's actually better than she is doing sports broadcasting because she's got a lot of interesting things to say about how to make it as an elite athlete couple and how she wants her son to be healthy and active but she's definitely not going to push him to be just like Mommy or Daddy in their realms. 

Also a good mike drop moment where she had a post-game field pass when her husband was playing in the Superbowl- shortly before the game ends, you report to the correct corral for post-game field access and then they turn you loose when the final whistle blows. She zeroes in on her husband at the whistle, who's on the far other side of the field and bolts toward him at full speed. There's a security guard near him who is all 'how did you get here so fast?' Sanya just shrugs and says 'Olympic gold medalist' 

• Love 3
On 8/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, blackwing said:

On 8/4/2021 at 3:28 PM, choclatechip45 said:

Rebecca Lowe I think was hired for Premier league coverage.  I also want to say that she has done the Olympics for NBC before?  I think Pyeong Chang and Rio if I remember correctly.

Watching the Basketball gold game now...Mike Tirico briefly had to cut-in and call play by play when the arena announcers were cut-out due to technical difficulties.  He picked it up smoothly and in stride, just like his main gig back home here.  I've enjoyed watching him as a host, even though I will always miss pink eye Bob.

• Love 2