Type keyword(s) to search

Closing Ceremony: Winter's Only A Few Months Away

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, kittykat said:

It's crazy that we have another Olympics in just over six months.  I know that's how it used to be before 1994 but still...be interesting to see how Beijing goes.  

And then Paris 2024 will only be 2 1/2 years after that. This next quadrennium is going to fly by!

• Love 2

This is, however, the first time the summer games have been first. Given the winter Olympics is definitely more of an "I guess, if we can't do this in searing heat" situation at the best of times, it's going to be interesting to see whether the usual mild boredom is even worse this time around when you also add post-Tokyo fatigue.

The videos of the athletes meeting their families at their home airports are lovely but bittersweet. I keep thinking "Aww, they're not staying for closing ceremonies? ...Ohhhhh right." It must be such a fun crazy party in the normal times; I'm sorry they have to miss it.

Edited by Iseut
  • Love 2

Closing ceremony has always been an anticlimactic let-down.  Some because of the sadness that the Games are over.  But mostly because the majority of athletes don't really seem to care.  And certainly this year there won't be the festive exuberant atmosphere given that there will be no fans in the stands.

The only reason for me to watch in the past years was to see who the flag bearer would be.

We know it wouldn't be Simone Biles, who would have been an obvious emotional choice, since she's already back in Houston.

It should be Caeleb Dressel, who was the star and face of the US team for these games.  But he's likely already home for some well deserved R&R with his beautiful wife.

Could it have been the A-team?  April Ross and Alix Klineman?  They just won yesterday, maybe they'll stick around?

Could it have been one of Allyson Felix, Carli Lloyd, Megan Rapinoe....all of whom likely competed in their last Olympics?

No, it's Kara Winger, whom I'm guessing that 99% of the viewing audience has no idea who she is!  Apparently she was selected by her teammates.  Fourth track and field athlete selected in history to carry the closing flag.  It certainly doesn't have to do with her performance at the games.  I wonder if her selection in part was because there's likely still more athletes from Track and Field still in Tokyo than any other discipline.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Some because of the sadness that the Games are over.  But mostly because the majority of athletes don't really seem to care. 

Even in non-COVID years, a majority of the athletes tend to leave once their events are over so it is a rather muted affair.  And this year, it's required,  Bummer.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Closing ceremony has always been an anticlimactic let-down.  Some because of the sadness that the Games are over.  But mostly because the majority of athletes don't really seem to care.  And certainly this year there won't be the festive exuberant atmosphere given that there will be no fans in the stands.

The only reason for me to watch in the past years was to see who the flag bearer would be.

We know it wouldn't be Simone Biles, who would have been an obvious emotional choice, since she's already back in Houston.

It should be Caeleb Dressel, who was the star and face of the US team for these games.  But he's likely already home for some well deserved R&R with his beautiful wife.

Could it have been the A-team?  April Ross and Alix Klineman?  They just won yesterday, maybe they'll stick around?

Could it have been one of Allyson Felix, Carli Lloyd, Megan Rapinoe....all of whom likely competed in their last Olympics?

No, it's Kara Winger, whom I'm guessing that 99% of the viewing audience has no idea who she is!  Apparently she was selected by her teammates.  Fourth track and field athlete selected in history to carry the closing flag.  It certainly doesn't have to do with her performance at the games.  I wonder if her selection in part was because there's likely still more athletes from Track and Field still in Tokyo than any other discipline.  

Because of COVID, all athletes are required to leave the country within 48 hours of their last competition.  That limits the pool of potential flag bearers and explains why a swimmer or gymnast couldn't do it.  I expect very few athletes are going to be attending the closing ceremonies since the vast majority were required by law to leave days or weeks ago.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

So how long into NBC’s coverage will it take for one of the commentators to say “While the opening ceremonies are about the ritual and pageantry, the closing ceremonies are a much more informal affair, taking on more of a party atmosphere!”

Credit to the filming of the athletes coming in, because it looked like there were TONS of them...they just kept coming and coming. The overhead shots after they were all on the field, not so much. Many of them did seem to be enjoying the show, though. I enjoyed the ones who were doing the arm motions of the dance that the performers were doing. A few athletes lying down in the back, but those were probably marathon runners who had just run for 2.5 hours not 12 hours before.

That opera singer performing the Olympic anthem was fire!

As usual, as the torch went out, I let out a sad little "nooooo"

But we'll be doing this again in just 6 months/3 years! Woohoo!

I will say - these might not be the Games people envisioned, or maybe even wanted considering the state of our world right now. But I think this is why I love the Olympics so much. It brings countries together, it brings people together.. it just shows what the philosophical message of the Olympics should always be: Sports has the ability to transcend anything... at least for 17 days. It brings awareness to things you may not know, it can inspire you to do things you never knew you could do. It could drastically change someone's life for the better. 

I always beg media SM  don't let these people/sports disappear but I know they will. Most of these sports won't be televised after this event, most people will forget the athletes who aren't making zillions in the big 4 sports. 

These Games were extremely intimate (mostly because of no fans) but in a way I think these were some of my favourite games because.. I don't know. they were more emotional. It just felt a bit more to see team mates give their other teammates their medals. other athletes supporting everyone in the stands regardless of nation. It was a glorious thing to see. 

I will never be tired or bored of the Olympics. I loved cheering/knowing things about you guys and even though we'll go back to our teevee boards, I can't wait to do it again in 6ish months! 

Summer, we'll see you in 3 years in Paris. 
Winter - you are coming!

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

These Games were extremely intimate (mostly because of no fans) but in a way I think these were some of my favourite games because.. I don't know. they were more emotional. It just felt a bit more to see team mates give their other teammates their medals. other athletes supporting everyone in the stands regardless of nation. It was a glorious thing to see. 

A lot of the athletes who did this really seemed to enjoy it. I wonder if they'll find a way to keep that for team/pair medals in future Games.

I think another thing that made these games more tolerable to a viewer was having watched already a year or so of sports with little or no spectators already. It didn’t seem to me as jarring as it would have otherwise.

Despite all the difficulties, I’m glad that the IOC and Japan did not give into the calls to cancel the games.

• Love 5

This was one of my favorite Olympics to date. I know it was so difficult to pull off, difficult for the athletes to be there without family and friends, difficult for the city of Tokyo, and so much more, but I needed this bit of normalcy. Selfishly, I needed the distraction and the enjoyment of sports I always love and ones that are new to me. I hope the athletes know somehow that they brought joy and excitement and fascination and a sense of togetherness to so many people watching around the world. 

See y'all in Paris!

• Love 8

Always sad when it's over.  They weren't the most perfect but they still were fun.  US sniping the gold medal count from China at the last second was *chef's kiss*

Onward to Beijing in six months.  I'm one of the few that prefer the Winter Olympics over the Summer but as usual it was a good time.

• Love 7

I'm happy that the vast majority of athletes, officials and others associated with this Olympics got through this safely, but this was a sad one for me to watch.  I still think they should have waited another year but, oh well, it's done.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

So how long into NBC’s coverage will it take for one of the commentators to say “While the opening ceremonies are about the ritual and pageantry, the closing ceremonies are a much more informal affair, taking on more of a party atmosphere!”

Here in Australia, I usually wonder how long it will take one of the commentators to mention that the athletes coming in was first suggested by an Australian boy who wrote a letter to the IOC and that it first happened in Melbourne 1956. They didn't disappoint, as soon as the athletes started streaming out they mentioned it.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Here in Australia, I usually wonder how long it will take one of the commentators to mention that the athletes coming in was first suggested by an Australian boy who wrote a letter to the IOC and that it first happened in Melbourne 1956. They didn't disappoint, as soon as the athletes started streaming out they mentioned it.

NBC generally drops that tidbit too lol

• Love 2

Just about to watch, CBC just starting to show it again now. They've done all the stories. I know they're trying to show the emotional side of the games, but the way they present these stories are so ooey gooey. Like soap operas. 😄

Edited by ferjy
Put a word in the wrong place and sounded like a valley girl.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And Johnny, as usual, leaves me wondering where his home planet is located.

Having said that, I'm here for Terry Gannon!

I wonder which team Terry prefers: Johnny and Tara or Tim and Nastia?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, kittykat said:

Always sad when it's over.  They weren't the most perfect but they still were fun.  US sniping the gold medal count from China at the last second was *chef's kiss*

We Robert Finke’d it!

I also loved the waterfall/rings lighting effect.

Edited by Souris
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Oh Wow: that ending in Paris, very exciting!  I'm with Tara: now I'm "pumped" to see what the next Olympics bring!

Next Summer Olympics, yes. Things should be a lot easier by then.  I wonder what the Winter Olympics will be like next year. Still a sedate affair most likely. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Well, they did refer to it as a party a couple of times, but I don't think I ever did hear them give the usual contrast with the opening ceremony. Oh well. Maybe next time.

2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Oh Wow: that ending in Paris, very exciting!  I'm with Tara: now I'm "pumped" to see what the next Olympics bring!

I'm really curious how they are going to do surfing competition in France.  

Did Bach do the usual "I call on the youth of the world to assemble four three years from now in Paris to celebrate the XXXIII Olympic Summer Games" thing?  If so, NBC didn't include it, preferring instead to cut away for a 12-minute-long commercial break right after Bach declared the Tokyo Games closed.  If he did say it and NBC didn't include it, I am going to be so pissed because that's the part that makes me cry, and I don't need to see those same commercials for 47 billionth time, and NBC robbed me of my "the Olympics are over" catharsis!!  If he didn't say it, well...that's a bummer because it's so moving.  Either way, somebody robbed me of my catharsis, damnit!

Also, Johnny Weir's insistence on calling Terry Gannon "Terrance" makes me want to stab him in the face.  I hate it so much.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Did Bach do the usual "I call on the youth of the world to assemble four three years from now in Paris to celebrate the XXXIII Olympic Summer Games" thing?  If so, NBC didn't include it, preferring instead to cut away for a 12-minute-long commercial break right after Bach declared the Tokyo Games closed.  If he did say it and NBC didn't include it, I am going to be so pissed because that's the part that makes me cry, and I don't need to see those same commercials for 47 billionth time, and NBC robbed me of my "the Olympics are over" catharsis!!  If he didn't say it, well...that's a bummer because it's so moving.  Either way, somebody robbed me of my catharsis, damnit!

Also, Johnny Weir's insistence on calling Terry Gannon "Terrance" makes me want to stab him in the face.  I hate it so much.

I watched the ceremony live that morning, and right after he declared the Games closed, he said something in French which I think was the "I call on the youth of the world" bit. I honestly don't recall if they included that in the NBC broadcast.

11 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Johnny and Tara anchoring the Ceremony!

I watched the live morning (here) broadcast so I was wondering if NBC would have Savannah and Al doing a voice over during the evening airing, with everyone knowing full well that nope, they weren't really there.

9 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

The Paris packaged presentation was fantastic!  What a gorgeous city!

6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

[Surfing] will be held in Tahiti, which is a French territory.

Is this true?

The closing ceremonies always make me a bit verklempt, especially when the flame is extinguished.  (The Tokyo lotus will be forever my favorite cauldron.)  The fact that much of it was pretaped and not live diminished the celebration but it was still lovely.  The cold weather should help China next year with the covid situation.  Let's hope in 3 years Paris can have the crowds of athletes and fans back in the stadium.

• Love 4