Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E15: The Comeback

• Start Topic

I only remembered Arthur, Franklin, Makayla and Louis from last year.  I’m sort of hoping Louis makes it in to take some of Hunter’s fan base away from him.  I thought most of the performances were on the meh side.

• Love 1

Yeah, I had a hard time remembering some of these contestants, too. I remembered Arthur, Olivia, Louis, and Franklin. The rest took a bit for me to recognize.

I thought Olivia, Makayla, and Aliana were the strongest ones tonight. I like Arthur, too, and out of all the guys who performed tonight I would prefer him going through. But I don't know if that was his strongest performance. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

How many contestants will go through--just one or is it two? I'd go with Louis or DeWayne, but I think it'll be Arthur. I don't mind Arthur so I'm fine with it, although that wasn't his best performance at all.

I believe just one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I sincerely hope they let Just Sam perform at some time during this season.  I completely agree that she doesn't need a second chance at the title, but of everyone, you'd think the winner got cheated the most by not performing on the big stage.  

I wish we could replace most of the current Top 9 with these performers.  Nick seemed kind of surly and Olivia is still too precocious for my taste, but I thought almost everyone else had more charisma than the current crop.  I loved Franklin's whole sound/style and I think Cyniah (who bugged me last year) was pretty awesome.  My votes however, went to Arthur because he is honestly one of the few AI contestants whose music I would choose to listen to outside of the competition.  He just has an awesomely unique voice and picks songs that highlight it really well.  Of course, he's in the same lane as Chayce so maybe it would split votes.

• Love 5

I agree that last season's crop of contestants got screwed thanks to Covid, but I still don't think it's fair how they get to come back for a chance to rejoin this season. If I'm remembering correctly the only other extreme mitigating circumstance that compared was way back in season two when Josh Gracin was active military. It never came to fruition but I remember reading in Simon's book or hearing somewhere that Josh would have been offered a spot in the next season if he had to leave. 

• Love 6

Social Media numbers tend to be a good predictor (or they did in the past). Arthur has over 400k subs on you tube and MaKayla has 49k. I think they are the 2 front runners along with the judges words  and maybe Louis in third (he has 6k subs on youtube).

Of course my daughter heard it was comeback night and thought that Murphy was coming back. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I really don't think it's fair that last season's contestants compete this year.   Giving them a chance to perform on the big stage with a full band and with all the glitz and glamor that goes with preparing for a performance, fine.  Did I hear Ryan say some were from the top 20?  Not even in the top 10?   If that's the case, that is unfair to this year's top 9.

• Love 10

It never came to fruition but I remember reading in Simon's book or hearing somewhere that Josh would have been offered a spot in the next season if he had to leave. 

He said that on the show, at least once.

We're never going to get to "fair"--COVID was a hopelessly unfair disease, the first contestant always gets more shots at votes, and the longer they were on last year, the more fame they had--and sometimes the first contestant gets more votes, sometimes (like here) it's a week-long vote.

They didn't do a mini-recap of the numbers this season--I'm not sure if they dropped that last season, but I kind of miss it.

* The audience isn't what it once was, but it's still a good gig.

• Love 3

Count me in with those who think this "twist" is completely unfair to this year's contestants.  This group had their chance last year.  I'm sorry it didn't go as planned but those are the breaks.  Really, if Olivia needs to be on a stage to be good, then she isn't that great.  If you have talent, you can perform anywhere.

I forgot how much I loved Louis though.  I voted for him and Aliana because girl had a serious glow up since last year.  Both in style AND confidence.  I was super impressed.  I had a hard time remembering most of these contestants til they performed.  I still have no recollection of DeWayne but I also through him some votes because he was amazing.  All that being said, I'll be surprised if anyone but Arthur or Makayla end up with that final spot.  They seem to have a big fan base.

My favorite part of the night was Luke actually being critical after Nick sang. 

So if this is a week long vote, does that mean this contestant doesn't go to Disney with the others?  Way to make sure they don't bond with the other contestants at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I was really thrilled to have a second performance show this week! What a nice cure for Monday blues.

Cyniah was truly awful. Where did that big, gorgeous voice go? She seemed to have lost breath control since last year, and that didn't come across as authentic to me. It felt like she was excited for a chance to play dress-up on a big stage.

Nick was 10 times better than I remember. I liked his original song and I think it was a smart move for him to put his own music out there since he likely wasn't going to get the one spot anyway.

DeWayne was wonderful, and I could tell he was happy to put his own style on stage. 

I'm a big fan of Faith and her odd affectations. She's cool, but I don't think America is gonna get on board, sadly.

I forgot how much I liked Franklin last year. The guy is just a natural musician. If he doesn't get the spot, I hope he tries The Voice. I feel like the coaches there would really take to him.

Makayla was glorious, but it was all just a bit too much for me. I wouldn't be mad if she made the top 10 - hers is the only voice that could possibly rival Grace.

Louis!! I really liked his song!! It sounds like modern pop I'd hear on the radio. He's such a sweet kid. I'd love to see him get the spot. He probably has the greatest potential at an actual career outside the show. 

Olivia was over the top for me. Vocals weren't great and yes she can move, but she's 16 with rhythm - that does not a unicorn make. She's not some Rockette or prima ballerina. It all felt like much ado about nothing to me. 

Arthur Gunn is likely coming back. Which means Chayce better start doing vocal warmups. I'm not mad about it because I like the guy, but can you imagine if Clay Aiken was offered a top 10 spot in season 3?? That's quite an advantage with his fan base and long tenure on last year's run. 

If they're bringing last season's crop back "to enjoy the big stage," then I  better see my girl Just Sam on here real soon. I always felt it would hinder her post-show success that she never got the experience performing under those lights. I want to see a big coronation moment with confetti for her - or at least someone to hug her. I still cannot imagine winning the biggest talent show on the planet and having no one there to congratulate you.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, radiochik said:

So if this is a week long vote, does that mean this contestant doesn't go to Disney with the others?  Way to make sure they don't bond with the other contestants at all.

I'm assuming the person who wins will fly to Disney World on Monday the 26th, which is when voting ends. I don't know why they even sent this season's group there already since the Disney show isn't until May 2nd.

1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

I'm not mad at the twist. I think last year's contestants were cheated from the whole glitz and glamor experience. And, really, only ONE will make it through. 

+1

I would be completely shocked if Arthur isn't the one to get a spot. He got 2nd last year for fuck's sake lol. It seems to me though that TPTB aren't too keen on him making it since he is probably the only one who might be an actual contender to win and I figure they want someone from this season to win.

I figure they'll bring Just Sam back at some point to perform live.

• Love 4

That first performance....... ouch......... my goodness....

Nick Merico.  I remember him. An original song.  Oh no!  But at least an improvement over #1.

Aliana's mirror dress is fascinating.  I admire the person who put it together.  (Lady Gaga song).

Franklin - Switchfoot song.  I like the song choice because no one else is going to do a song like this LOL.  

Oooooooooh Arthur got a sexy makeover!  I looooove Goo Goo Dolls!!!  

Mikayla did a great job with the Demi Lovato song.  Sometimes the audio doesn't match my feed, so I'm wondering if it's a time delay issue?  I would hope there's no actual lip syncing, what with some of these performances being so bad.

Lots of Jesus songs tonight.  LOL.

What a wild experiment.  I don't mind it at all.  I appreciate it.

I feel bad, but the only performances I didn't FF through were Nick's (which I didn't love), Franklin (love the song choice), Arthur (It's Arthur) and Mikayla.

I remember a good 70% of these people.  I'm pretty impressed with myself.  LOL.  

Okay I didn't FF Louis.  Adorable accent.  Nice to listen to.

• Love 6

I've gotta say...I was very much underwhelmed by the Comback Crew. Only ones I liked were Arthur, Makayla and Louis. And none of those 3 would stand a chance against the 9 from the current season. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I hate this gimmick so much that I decided not to participate. Don't really care about any of these people anyway.

I'm pretty sure Arthur will go through, and I'm equally sure he won't win (Willie will*).

* I'm almost always wrong with my predictions🙃

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Blissfool said:

UO: I do not like Arthur.

Because of his voice, he makes every song sound the same to me.  Was that Have You Ever Seen the Rain again last night? 😉

In my mind, he’s a very sweet young man with limited talent. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, KHenry14 said:

I've gotta say...I was very much underwhelmed by the Comback Crew. Only ones I liked were Arthur, Makayla and Louis. And none of those 3 would stand a chance against the 9 from the current season. 

This. I already thought this season's group was maybe the best Top 24 I've ever seen and last night really confirmed this year is miles better than last year. And I really loved last year's contestants!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Louis should hope Simon Cowell snaps him up for his next boy band. It's been a year, and they all had exposure on national television to millions of people. If they were going to break out it would have happened already. Two people were ineligible because they got signed, Dillon James and Francisco Martin, and Just Sam seems to be no longer under contract. Usually the previous year's champion would at least sing at the finale but she probably won't because of that.

Also really frickin' annoyed this devolved into Christian Idol once again. Stop proselytizing at me.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Louis should hope Simon Cowell snaps him up for his next boy band. It's been a year, and they all had exposure on national television to millions of people. If they were going to break out it would have happened already. Two people were ineligible because they got signed, Dillon James and Francisco Martin, and Just Sam seems to be no longer under contract. Usually the previous year's champion would at least sing at the finale but she probably won't because of that.

Also really frickin' annoyed this devolved into Christian Idol once again. Stop proselytizing at me.

I was really rooting against Louis last year because he seemed like a boy band reject, but I quite enjoyed his performance this time.

What happened to Johnny whatshisname who entered the competition with his girlfriend? I thought he made it to top 5 or something.

I didn't remember the vast majority of the people who sang, only Arthur and Louis really rang a bell with me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Julia and grace  got a record deal also 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

What happened to Johnny whatshisname who entered the competition with his girlfriend? I thought he made it to top 5 or something.

8 hours ago, 128survivor said:

Julia and grace  got a record deal also 

I had to go look up who made the Top 20 last year (since I had completely forgotten about Jonny West).  I loved Julia Gargano so glad to hear she got a record deal.  A lot of these comeback kids made the Top 20 but were eliminated before the Top 10 week.  Franklin, Olivia, Aliana, Faith, Nick, Cyniah, and DeWayne were all eliminated after the Top 20 performance show.  Makayla was the judge's save.  Looking at the Top 10 and taking out the winner and those with record deals, one has to wonder why Jonny, Jovin Webb, and Sophia Wackerman weren't part of this.  Especially Jonny since , like was said above,  he made it to the Top 5/Finale.  Also Lauren Spencer Smith and Kimmy Gabriela made the Top 20 and weren't included this year.

• Love 3

I didn't watch last season so did not know any of these people, but the only 2 I really enjoyed tonight were Mckayla and Louis.

But I agree that this really is not fair to bring them back.

• Love 1

I figured Jonny declined. To me, it never seemed like he was really that into being on Idol.

I think they probably asked everyone in the Top 10 outside of the ones with contracts and Just Sam and I'm assuming Jonny, Jovin, and Sophia declined so they had to find others.

• Love 1

Has nobody EVER watched any other ABC reality shows?   They do that "twist" all the time!  Of course it's not very fair, but it's not supposed to be about fair.  Or talent.  Or concern for contestants. 

It's about RATINGS!  It's about DRAMA!  It's about BUZZ!

The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Dancing with the Stars, Shark Tank, etc.  They all bring people back!

It's their THING!  *LOL*

• Love 5

Well, yeah reality shows have twists. But this is the first time I can remember a contestant from a previous season parachuting into the current season when it's already this far along. AI and the Voice always have contestants from previous seasons come back and compete again (Corey from this season's Voice is yet another example of that), but they have to navigate their way through all the rounds (all over again). Arthur (or possibly Louis) theoretically only have to avoid elimination just a few times and they'll find themselves in the finale with something of a chance to win.

I loved how the various ones who pretty much knew they had no shot approached this experience.

Nick Merico said "f*ck it, I'l come back and get criticized again if it means I can play an original song for the biggest audience in my life".

Franklin & DeWayne basically threw up a bat signal to any and all Contemporary Christian/Gospel record labels who might have been listening..

Cyniah & Olivia just wanted an opportunity to have their hair/makeup done and run/dance around the big stage one time.

Faith the Space Case just wanted an opportunity to sing the song that she botched last season again, the whole idea of converting a failure to a success (at least on a personal level).

Makayla just wanted to lay the drama on thicc one more time

Aliana wanted an opportunity to show up and show America she freaking glowed up over the last year or so.

..and then you had the only two that mattered. Arthur & Louis, who both looked much more visibly nervous throughout the whole hour (even when they were just sitting off to the side watching the other 8 sing..

• Love 7

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seemed like the comeback singers got more time to sing compared to the singers the night before, and that doesn't seem fair. I think one of the reasons why Chayce's version of 'Everything I do' wasn't that great was because of the tempo, which could have been due to trying to cram the song into 2 minutes. I like Arthur, but now I'm worried he'll make it through and take votes away from Chayce.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 2
On 4/20/2021 at 3:18 PM, Quickbeam said:

In my mind, he’s a very sweet young man with limited talent. 

This is exactly what I mean when I say I like him. If another talentless guy is going to win, at least Arthur is nice.... I like Hunter's voice a bit more than Arthur's, and he's also a nice guy. I'm rooting for Grace or Casey to win, but those are just the best of the low talent guitar guys to me (the type most likely to win these shows).

On 4/21/2021 at 4:51 AM, radiochik said:

Especially Jonny since , like was said above,  he made it to the Top 5/Finale.  Also Lauren Spencer Smith and Kimmy Gabriela made the Top 20 and weren't included this year.

He probably thought he wouldn't be able to beat Arthur and only one can make it, so why go through that effort just to be dashed again. It's a shame because Jonny is the one I would've liked to join this year's crew, if anyone.

• Love 2