Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: The Legend of Howie Cournemeyer

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

It's National HIV Testing Day and Max has offered free care to all HIV+ patients who come to New Amsterdam. Bloom and Reynolds butt heads over their opposing bedside manners. Iggy eagerly awaits the return of a friend. Sharpe makes a discovery.

"You need to pick up the phone right now or we can't be friends anymore"...has it occurred to you, Doctor, that maybe he's not there? Get some therapy, please. It's not all about you. You'd think it might occur to a psychiatrist that something more might be going on.

Sorry, Bloom, but you don't get to choose whether the guy stays in his religion or not (much as I may agree with you). You're in the ER. Your job is to make sure they don't die, not tell them how to live.

So were the KAPOOP pastries just sitting out all day?

• Love 12
31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

"You need to pick up the phone right now or we can't be friends anymore"...has it occurred to you, Doctor, that maybe he's not there? Get some therapy, please. It's not all about you. You'd think it might occur to a psychiatrist that something more might be going on.

I was worried that Kapoor was dead the entire time he wasn't answering the phone, to be honest, even with the resignation email. Is the actor no longer on the show?

I thought Luna's grandparents lived in Connecticut. Max wants Georgia's mom to drive three to four hours (one way!) to come visit him and Luna a few times a week?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I was worried that Kapoor was dead the entire time he wasn't answering the phone, to be honest, even with the resignation email. Is the actor no longer on the show?

I just googled and didn't find anything definitive on whether he's leaving for good. Someone commented in the last episode thread that the actor's wife is ill; maybe he's taking time off?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Sorry, Bloom, but you don't get to choose whether the guy stays in his religion or not (much as I may agree with you). You're in the ER. Your job is to make sure they don't die, not tell them how to live.

So were the KAPOOP pastries just sitting out all day?

Yes. To. All. Of. This.

Iggy is a jerk.  I mean, really.  His FIRST thought is to call and be mad?  And then leave a dozen messages getting angrier?  Some friend he is!  That was ridiculous.  I don't even have anything else to say about it, his behavior was appalling.

Reynolds helped his patient.  Bloom just wanted to... stick her nose in somewhere it didn't belong.  The writers are really doing her no favors this season either.

I wanted to eat one of those pastries until they'd been out for 12 hours.  Gross.  

Also, didn't Reynolds' fiancee leave him?  He didn't really leave her... but the way they acted tonight, it was like it was his decision?  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.  There's no consistency in any of these shows anymore anyway, so I shouldn't be surprised.

14 minutes ago, LadyNebula said:

My local station cut in right before Iggy was talking to Ella and came back with Iggy in tears. What was said?

Ella told Iggy that she heard his messages and wanted to call him back without Kapoor knowing.  Dr. Kapoor was told by his doctor that he can never work again, and he won't talk about it so she doesn't know much more than that.  She said that he tried to come in to the hospital a week or two ago to surprise everyone early but he couldn't make it out the door.  She didn't elaborate if it was a physical, mental, or emotional problem that prohibited from leaving the house.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Also, didn't Reynolds' fiancee leave him?  He didn't really leave her... but the way they acted tonight, it was like it was his decision?  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.  There's no consistency in any of these shows anymore anyway, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Yes, she ended things. But she claimed it was because she could tell his heart was really in New York or some bullshit like that.

But to me it just seemed like he was worried about leaving his sick mother, which seems pretty normal, and not a reason to call off a wedding. I guess they just needed an excuse to bring the actor back.

• Love 12

I agree with previous posts. I didn’t understand why Reynold’s ex talked like he broke up with her. He totally did not do that. She dumped him on her way to the airport.  I don’t like it when they make characters challenge someone to prove their love.  

Another question....I thought that Max told the sitter Luna was missing grandmother. Was that grandmother’s photo on the phone?  Then, Max calls someone to just have a casual visit. Grandma lives several hours away. Was that his ex girlfriend on the phone?

Why are they writing Iggy to be so crazy?  

I think they left the door open for Dr. Kapoor open, if the actor ever does come back to the US.  He is missed, imo.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I thought Luna's grandparents lived in Connecticut. Max wants Georgia's mom to drive three to four hours (one way!) to come visit him and Luna a few times a week?

Depend where in CT they live, it could just be a commuter train ride in

How long is a train ride from New York to Connecticut?

69 miles

On average the New York City to New Haven, CT train travel time is 1 h 41 min for the 69 miles (111 km) long journey, but the duration can vary if you travel on weekends and holidays.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Some people who work in the city live in CT, so it is possible to commute. I don't remember if we are supposed to know where inCT the grandparents live

• Love 1
10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I half expected the interim head of neuro to walk in and say Kapoor was dead. 

I didn’t love the way Iggy acted with leaving all those voice mails. People leave jobs, especially in a public hospital like that I’m sure there’s turnover. Glad he seemed to have realized at the end that he was wrong. 

• Love 5

On a positive note, I'll give points to Iggy's husband (whose name I am blanking on). He seems to be handling Iggy's body image issues well.

(Anyone else's inner RENT-head come out and yell "Fight AIDS!" after the blood bank guy said "Act Up"? Just me?)

• Love 6
10 hours ago, preeya said:

MEDICAL SHOW, NOT ADVENTURES IN PARENTHOOD/BABYSITTING.

PLEASE STOP THE LUNA SHIT.

Every single drama on network television (or anywhere, for that matter) is going to include the characters' personal lives.  ER, Grey's Anatomy, Chicago Hope, St. Elsewhere, but not just medical shows, also crime and legal shows, too.  May I suggest that you record it and just fast forward if you don't like the personal parts?  Or maybe choose a documentary on a science channel?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

On a positive note, I'll give points to Iggy's husband (whose name I am blanking on). He seems to be handling Iggy's body image issues well.

(Anyone else's inner RENT-head come out and yell "Fight AIDS!" after the blood bank guy said "Act Up"? Just me?)

Martin is Iggy’s husband. I was both surprised and happy they stayed together (remembering when Iggy tried to adopt a child without talking to Martin). 

Just now, FnkyChkn34 said:

Every single drama on network television (or anywhere, for that matter) is going to include the characters' personal lives.  ER, Grey's Anatomy, Chicago Hope, St. Elsewhere, but not just medical shows, also crime and legal shows, too.  May I suggest that you record it and just fast forward if you don't like the personal parts?  Or maybe choose a documentary on a science channel?  

God yes. I was a huge fan of ER in its time and remember parent characters holding screaming babies or going to daycare when the kids were cranky. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Martin is Iggy’s husband. I was both surprised and happy they stayed together (remembering when Iggy tried to adopt a child without talking to Martin).

Thank you!

And yes, I remember that ridiculousness. I guess that's over. Didn't Martin move out for a bit?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yes, but I added "Cheeeeeeck!" at the end as well 🙂 

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Yes, those are alternatives. That being said, it would be less annoying (to me) if the writers and TPTB would stop dumbing down the characters by portraying them as infantile caricatures of themselves and using plots that have been done over and over ad infinitum. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Oh, you're not the only RENT-head 😉

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I haven’t watched Rent in ages...you all are making me want to find it on Prime or something. 

I have the "filmed live on Broadway" DVD at home. I don't think I've ever actually watched it. I think I have the movie version, too, which I have seen. The live-on-stage original cast was, of course, much better (even though Jesse L. Martin wasn't there the day I saw it).

1 hour ago, LadyNebula said:

Oh, you're not the only RENT-head 😉

I like to think there was a RENT-head in the writers' room who put that phrase in there just to give us all an earworm.

• Love 2

So I was cooking and missed part of the Ella phone call.  When she said he can't make it out the door, was he too physically weak, or more fear of going out because i'm not well enough? Or did they leave it open?

That niece is already a piece of work.  Goes off in NYC with an 'internet' friend. nothing sketchy there.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, jabRI said:

So I was cooking and missed part of the Ella phone call.  When she said he can't make it out the door, was he too physically weak, or more fear of going out because i'm not well enough? Or did they leave it open?

She didn't specify.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I didn’t love the way Iggy acted with leaving all those voice mails. People leave jobs, especially in a public hospital like that I’m sure there’s turnover. Glad he seemed to have realized at the end that he was wrong. 

I have no idea why the actor chose to play the thing like it was Fatal Attraction, and he was telling Kapoor that he wasn't going to be ignored.  I mean, Iggy came off looking nuts, leaving a barrage of messages, each one getting more desperate and crazy.  I get it, you miss your work friend/daddy, but jeez, stop embarrassing yourself. 

I did not like the HIV storyline.  I know Max has his cause of the week, but sometimes his arrogance really bugs me.  I realize this is more the fault of the writers for taking complicated issues and trying to resolve them in 42 minutes.  It just annoys me.   

• Love 9

Unfortunately https://ew.com/tv/anapam-kher-dr-kapoor-not-returning-new-amsterdam/

☹️Dr. Kapoor was my favorite character.

”I’m good enough, smart enough, and, doggone it, people like me!” I can’t be the only one who thought of Stuart Smalley at the end with Iggy and the mirror.

I love Max’s assistant.

I can’t believe that was Larry Bryggman playing the former medical director. I did a double take then went on google to make sure. He’ll always be Dr. John Dixon to me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

”I’m good enough, smart enough, and, doggone it, people like me!” I can’t be the only one who thought of Stuart Smalley at the end with Iggy and the mirror.

You are definitely not.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I have the "filmed live on Broadway" DVD at home. I don't think I've ever actually watched it. I think I have the movie version, too, which I have seen. The live-on-stage original cast was, of course, much better (even though Jesse L. Martin wasn't there the day I saw it).

I thought the movie was filmed with the original  Broadway cast? 

I liked that they recognized ACT UP, the activists deserve so much more credit that they get for all they have accomplished and how they influenced - and still do - other activist organizations.

Kapoor's party: why would a bunch of supposedly adults destroy Kapoor's made-out-of-food name even before knowing that the party had flopped? 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, circumvent said:

It was (mostly); just wasn't as good as the stage show (which I saw twice; once with the original cast in 97, and once in early 2002 with no one whose name I would remember).

3 minutes ago, circumvent said:

Kapoor's party: why would a bunch of supposedly adults destroy Kapoor's made-out-of-food name even before knowing that the party had flopped? 

You thought this hospital employed adults?

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

It's time for WORST DOCTOR OF THE WEEK! (and general commentary as I watch the episode)

it sounds like Iggy told his husband about what is going on? Yay!

wait is max going to try to solve AIDS this week

yeaaah i don't think they'd ban a kid from a daycare permanently for biting

especially when the kid is the boss of your boss's boss

maybe suspend her for a few weeks

ooooh are we actually going to see Kapoor this episode???

reynolds why are you walking around with your mask down just to talk on video chat

um i don't think you give the guy those results right after passing out and ending up in the ER, reynolds. wait a bit

um max why don't you have a mask on

why did you put Luna down if she was just running around. oh no you leashed her

how did the niece get there so quick????? um, sharpe, let her address you how she wants

yes max, it takes more than a day to find a nanny

what kind of tests are they doing to test for HIV if it is also detecting pancreatitis and cancer? I have to imagine they would do straight HIV tests, not a CBC or CMP.

wait how did they find a lump on this woman randomly? is it visible when you look at her or something? oh ok she already had HIV so was she here for a checkup or something???

hey look they didn't shock a flatline! Reynolds gets a checkmark in his column for good doctor!

these bouncers are the least effective security ever - how did they let the random dude burst into the trauma room? they're as secure as the place on The Blacklist is top secret, jeeeez

noooo Kapoor can't resign. I wonder if Max is going to refuse to accept his resignation? Kapoor is the best!

um Iggy that's an unhealthy amount of messages to leave for Kapoor

ummm shouldn't a therapist like IGGY be talking to this guy, not Reynolds the heart surgeon?

jesus iggy you sound like someone whose girlfriend just broke up with them

how do you know he isn't out for a walk with that ultimatum you are giving him

so how did nobody notice Howie had different blood types - wouldn't someone have checked the record before allowing "howie" to donate?

ummmm reynolds what are you doing with this guy no you do not do this he did not ask you to call the elder

see sharpe, that's how it bites you in the ass, you needed to set actual boundaries, not "just treat me like a friend!!"

um max yeah that is bad, but he did what he legally had to do

sounds like kapoor has long covid

hey this is something Max could actually tackle

hahaha are they already gonna send the kid back to connecticut

reynolds WHY ARE YOU TAKING YOUR MASK OFF IN THE ER

so this episode's patients were pretty much Reynolds patient and Sharpe's "i'm too busy to deal with my chronic condition!!" patient

So, who is the worst doctor of the week? Because of not wearing a mask when he should be, it is Dr. Reynolds! It is his first nomination and first win for the Worst Doctor award!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

yeaaah i don't think they'd ban a kid from a daycare permanently for biting

especially when the kid is the boss of your boss's boss

maybe suspend her for a few weeks

If this type of thing happens in real life, we have really turned into a weird(er) place. Expelling toddlers for being toddlers is absurd. If ture, it shows how much we are lacking in human infra structure, as in enough people to care for kids, but also in common sense

• Love 2

If Luna is suppose to be under one year of age, she sure is pretty rambunctious running around the hospital like that.  My son started walking when he was 10 months, but still didn't run and maneuver like she did.  Looked more like a two year old's antics to me.

56 minutes ago, cameron said:

If Luna is suppose to be under one year of age, she sure is pretty rambunctious running around the hospital like that.  My son started walking when he was 10 months, but still didn't run and maneuver like she did.  Looked more like a two year old's antics to me.

If the show is in real time then Luna should be almost two.  She was born at the end of Season one, which as May 2019.  Using Covid as a benchmark, Covid Hit US hard in March 2020.  And now they are showing post Covid signs of slow recovery  a little analogous or slightly accelerated  to real time so it should still be Mach/April 2021 in the in-show universe as well.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

If the show is in real time then Luna should be almost two.  She was born at the end of Season one, which as May 2019.  Using Covid as a benchmark, Covid Hit US hard in March 2020.  And now they are showing post Covid signs of slow recovery  a little analogous or slightly accelerated  to real time so it should still be Mach/April 2021 in the in-show universe as well.

That's how it should be, unfortunately Max stated when the show started back up last month that she was under one year of age.  Go figure.

• Love 2

Iggy was clearly leaving messages all day long to Kapoor. Iggy is also clearly going through essentially a mental/emotional crisis, a depressive state. And, he IS seeing a therapist. We saw that in the last episode. He just didn't have a session this episode.

As someone who has suffered from depression, my heart was breaking for him in those scenes. I'm honestly shocked at some of these comments about him here.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, jabRI said:

That niece is already a piece of work.  Goes off in NYC with an 'internet' friend. nothing sketchy there.

I thought the same.  She didn't want to go to Dubai because she had friends and boyfriend in Iran, but was eager to move to NY instead where those same friends and boyfriend do not exist.  Then she shows up without calling.  I mean, who does that?  More important, HOW does one do that?  How did she get this magical instant visa into the US from Iran?  Who bought her plane tickets?  Then she disappears with some guy before she's even unpacked?  Did she even have a suitcase?  WTF? 

I don't know that she is untrustworthy, but she definitely is a piece of work.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, izabella said:

I thought the same.  She didn't want to go to Dubai because she had friends and boyfriend in Iran, but was eager to move to NY instead where those same friends and boyfriend do not exist.  Then she shows up without calling.  I mean, who does that?  More important, HOW does one do that?  How did she get this magical instant visa into the US from Iran?  Who bought her plane tickets?  Then she disappears with some guy before she's even unpacked?  Did she even have a suitcase?  WTF? 

Helen said wasn't expecting her until the next day, so she had the ticket (I assume Helen paid for it); she said something about flying standby so I guess that means she was able to get on an earlier flight. No idea how the visa thing works. (Or how long it's actually been since they decided she would come to NYC.) Maybe there's some provision for orphaned minors coming to stay with family members?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Not to get too real world, but since we are still pre-vaccine in pandemic time on the show, then we are still in 2020.   That means the Travel Ban was in effect, and Iran was one of the countries on that list.  She would not have been able to get even a visitor visa, and absolutely not an immigrant visa.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, izabella said:

Not to get too real world, but since we are still pre-vaccine in pandemic time on the show, then we are still in 2020.

But in that great opening montage on the first episode that went through how NA weathered Covid, it showed them all standing in line to get the shot.  The roll out for Health Care workers for the shot didn't really get going til January '21 (the first person in the US to get vaccinated got hers in mid December 2020.)  And then we got that one episode of them having commericals to urge people to come back to do regular stuff at the hospital.  So it seems like it is at least 2021 in show universe.

I haven't really been following travel bans etc because even though vaccinated (and my whole family is) I am still in a lock down mindset can't quite get over than hump yet.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 1

Maybe they are in post-vaccine world, but it's unclear to me.  Max heard about Black Lives Matter last episode, so that would put that time frame as summer of 2020.

The Travel Ban I reference is the one that was in place from 2017 until 2021, the one they called the Muslim Travel Ban, which targeted specific countries including Iran.  She would not have been given a visa until that was revoked on Jan 20 this year.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Unfortunately https://ew.com/tv/anapam-kher-dr-kapoor-not-returning-new-amsterdam/

☹️Dr. Kapoor was my favorite character.

Best wishes to his wife for a full recovery!

That being said...kapoop.  Vijay is my favorite, too.

17 hours ago, circumvent said:

Except for the characters of Mimi (Daphne Rubin-Vega in the OBC; Rosario Dawson in the film) and Joanne (Freddi Walker in the OBC; Tracie Thoms in the film).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, izabella said:

I don't know that she is untrustworthy, but she definitely is a piece of work.

From what I remember seeing, she had a big luggage cart stacked high with bags.

10 hours ago, DearEvette said:

We saw Luna taking her first steps while she was with her grandparents, and I think that was pretty recently. So she has just gotten really used to walking. My friend's kid went from not walking at all to running all over in a couple months, so maybe this is realistic?

9 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Two quick surveys:

Who has the worse parent: Luna (daughter of Max Goodwin) or Agnes (daughter of Tom Keane)?

Is Iggy worse at being a psychologist or being a friend?

Agnes definitely has worse parents, since they are/were killers. And we never see them together. Max at least spends time with Luna.

We see Iggy being a bad psychologist all the time, but this was really the first time we've seen him being a bad friend. So I'll go with worse psychologist?

4 hours ago, izabella said:

Not to get too real world, but since we are still pre-vaccine in pandemic time on the show, then we are still in 2020.   That means the Travel Ban was in effect, and Iran was one of the countries on that list.  She would not have been able to get even a visitor visa, and absolutely not an immigrant visa.

We are post-vaccine on the show because they talked about getting vaccinated. But I think in show time, the vaccine came out earlier. Because Ella was pregnant at the end of last season (before Covid) and just had her baby at the beginning of this season when show-Covid was mostly over.

• Love 1
On 4/14/2021 at 10:00 PM, LittleIggy said:

I can’t believe that was Larry Bryggman playing the former medical director. I did a double take then went on google to make sure. He’ll always be Dr. John Dixon to me.

Same. I teared up a little when I saw him because ever after all this time I STILL miss ATWT. I half expected to see Lucinda come around the corner. 

Loved seeing André De Shields and Stephen Spinella as part of the HIV storyline. As out gay men who were young men during the '80s AIDS crisis, I can only imagine how emotional it must have been for them.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, janeyjay said:

Same. I teared up a little when I saw him because ever after all this time I STILL miss ATWT. I half expected to see Lucinda come around the corner. 

Loved seeing André De Shields and Stephen Spinella as part of the HIV storyline. As out gay men who were young men during the '80s AIDS crisis, I can only imagine how emotional it must have been for them.

Or his nemesis Dr. Bob Hughes!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Two quick surveys:

Who has the worse parent: Luna (daughter of Max Goodwin) or Agnes (daughter of Tom Keane)?

Is Iggy worse at being a psychologist or being a friend?

1. Agnes

2. Psychologist - Iggy's going through a crisis right now, so this is the first time we've seen him be a bad friend, so he might be having a bit of a decompensatory episode right now and needs to call his therapist ASAP

and up the frequency of sessions and/or take a medical leave

• Love 1