Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: The Legend of Howie Cournemeyer

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

What bothers me most about the Iggy story is that before, he was at least good at his job.  Now it seems he can't even do that right.  Agreed he needs to find his own therapist.  For him, I think he needs a nutritionist/personal chef and personal trainer.  I don't see group therapy working for him.  I think he'd go into 'work' mode and try to help everyone else before himself.  He needs to focus just on himself.

47 minutes ago, Gloriosa said:

What I want to know is why Bloom is wearing Groucho Marx's eyebrows.  They're disturbing.  They're almost a unibrow.

She's competing with Michaela over on Manifest?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

So Max decides that the FDA policies against gay men donating blood are hate crimes and he’s going to ignore them, then fight them in court when the hospital loses its funding? I happen to agree that the policies are ridiculous but they’re not optional. They’re FEDERAL. If you disagree so strongly, fight them in the court of public opinion. Don’t put the entire hospital in jeopardy for your crusade of the week!

AND he decides that  all the white doctors that they should take a 10% pay cut so the non-white doctors can make more money. Because naturally they’d all immediately sign on to this stupid idea.

I seriously didn't think it was possible for my eyes to roll that far back in my head. 🙄

• Love 5

Iggy is actually a psychiatrist, not a psychologist (yes, there's a difference) so it doesn't make sense for the show to have him as head of the Psychology department. But then, it's par for this show.

Helen needs to have a read of those parenting blogs because there's trouble coming with her niece.

On 4/15/2021 at 1:52 AM, bros402 said:

yeaaah i don't think they'd ban a kid from a daycare permanently for biting

It depends what the kid is doing and for how long because it's part of the responsibility of the daycare to keep the other kids safe. Luna had three chances and she kept biting. That seems like a sign of a kid who is troubled, as Luna was because she was missing her grandmother. It's nice to see the show treat that realistically.

I assume that once she's doing better emotionally and no longer hurting other children, they'll let her back in.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Iggy is actually a psychiatrist, not a psychologist (yes, there's a difference) so it doesn't make sense for the show to have him as head of the Psychology department. But then, it's par for this show.

Helen needs to have a read of those parenting blogs because there's trouble coming with her niece.

It depends what the kid is doing and for how long because it's part of the responsibility of the daycare to keep the other kids safe. Luna had three chances and she kept biting. That seems like a sign of a kid who is troubled, as Luna was because she was missing her grandmother. It's nice to see the show treat that realistically.

I assume that once she's doing better emotionally and no longer hurting other children, they'll let her back in.

I have to assume he is dual certified since he is head of the psychology department, this show wouldn't do something so ridiculous, would they? :P

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Yeah, I get she doesn't want her niece to resent her or whatever, but she's 16. She might not need 24/7 supervision but she still needs a parent. Not an older friend/roommate.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Not disagreeing with your assessment but this only shows how disturbing is this practice of expecting a toddler to understand the "three strikes and you are out" rule, how the "responsibility to keep other kids safe" is an excuse to do the work in the easier (for the caregivers) possible way, which lead to the very bad, really awful state of caregiving on this country, which devalues caregivers, pay them miserably and expect them to be able to provide the care the children need. Realistic? Maybe, but the reality is quite dystopian.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, it was a one strike daycare. Luna got three chances because her father was head of the hospital. I agree that many daycares can be very bad but Max could have afforded a private caregiver/nanny for her. He said that wanted Luna on site at the hospital because otherwise he'd never get a chance to see her.

8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, I get she doesn't want her niece to resent her or whatever, but she's 16. She might not need 24/7 supervision but she still needs a parent. Not an older friend/roommate.

Helen ended her relationship with because she said that she needed to do this thing 100% (!) and then it seems like she's done nothing even though she expected Mina the next day.  She should have been reading up on parenting a teenager, and the effects of bereavement on teenagers and just generally any information she needs to know, including that kids have lots of friends and what they really need is parent/parental figure.

It's inevitable that her niece is going to resent her, that's what 16 year olds do, especially when they've lost a parent.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Helen ended her relationship with because she said that she needed to do this thing 100% (!) and then it seems like she's done nothing even though she expected Mina the next day.  She should have been reading up on parenting a teenager, and the effects of bereavement on teenagers and just generally any information she needs to know, including that kids have lots of friends and what they really need is parent/parental figure.

I don't think reading would have helped anyway. It is immature of Helen to have her niece coming to NY because she is doing this in a whim, because she feels guilty she wasn't able to be there for her brother's funeral. That's not how adults make important decisions but, as I was reminded in another thread, there are no adults working in that hospital, so it is consistent. Mina is manipulative and Helen should have seen that but again, this show has its own timeline and universe. Laws do not apply, neither does common sense. 

• Love 5

On 4/15/2021 at 11:17 AM, izabella said:

Not to get too real world, but since we are still pre-vaccine in pandemic time on the show, then we are still in 2020.   That means the Travel Ban was in effect, and Iran was one of the countries on that list.  She would not have been able to get even a visitor visa, and absolutely not an immigrant visa.

I can't believe there's any way she would have been able to get even a short, temporary visa in a couple of weeks.  It's not a bereavement visa, she has family in Iran, and it's The Age of Corona Virus.

On 4/16/2021 at 4:45 AM, Gloriosa said:

What I want to know is why Bloom is wearing Groucho Marx's eyebrows.  They're disturbing.  They're almost a unibrow.

I have no problem with her eyebrow(s).  What bothers me these days is why male TV actors/presenters etc seem to think it's okay to be lazy about shaving these days.  They seem to manage to still get decent haircuts, but have forgotten to how to shave.  Even if they'd been having a show's makeup department shaving them pre-Covid, presumably they have learned to shave their faces at some point in their lives.

On 4/16/2021 at 8:05 PM, statsgirl said:

I'm not sure that biting is necessarily a sign of being troubled, but if I was another parent at the daycare and kids were regularly being bitten, I would want them out of there until they grew out of it.  She can't be watched constantly at a daycare.

I think it's totally unreasonable for Max to expect his mother-in-law to spend an exhausting, long day travelling and taking care of a very active toddler FOUR days a week absolutely ridiculous, selfish, and thoughtless.  And what's going to happen the other days that he works?  Let Luna go back to Connecticut and schedule a weekend a month to visit and actually spend quality time with her, or get a different job.  For goodness' sakes, he had her running around the hospital, eating out of a garbage can.  Pre-Covid this would have been a bad idea, but right now?

Edited by Leeds
3 hours ago, bros402 said:

The show is taking place post-COVID - they all got vaccinated in the first ep of the season

I think we should try to agree that the show takes place in its own time and space

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, circumvent said:

I think we should try to agree that the show takes place in its own time and space

true.

tbh i'm surprised the show didn't just go "okay, now we are a few years in the future, Luna is now 4 and going to preschool"

• Love 3

Man, the subject matter of this episode was really heavy and hit pretty hard for me. I am not the youngest in my family, I had a little brother who died in 1999 at age 11. He was able to donate his organs and blood, something that, by law, I am unable to do. You keep hearing about those with underlying health conditions, well, I am also one of them.

People contract things all the time, but to know that what you have contracted has no cure? That is tough. That is not something that you ever hope to hear. I got my diagnosis over the phone, after going to the hospital for swollen lymph nodes. That was May 2005. I remember what broke my heart most of all was not being able to do what my little brother did, donating anything from my body to help people. I fully 100% understand why... but it's always been my nature to help people. And to keep a secret like that for so long: how does one sit their parents down and inform them, just a few years after they've lost their youngest?

I finally told them in 2019; I carried that for 14 years before a freak accidental tumble down the stairs on my part alerted them to that fact. And, despite all the advances made, they are still going to lose their 2nd-youngest son to something that has no cure. How are any parents supposed to handle that kind of news? Especially after already losing their youngest? There is nothing to be said, just that I hope my parents are gone before me. I'm 38 now, they are both in their 60s, and there have been so many advances in care. But I just hope that they are gone before me; I would hate for them to have to plan another son's funeral.

It's difficult to state how it feels to not be able to help people after your death, to feel so helpless.

• Love 3
On 4/14/2021 at 5:27 AM, circumvent said:

I don't remember if we are supposed to know where in CT the grandparents live

I assumed Greenwich or someplace like that, given the huge beautiful house they showed them in...and if that were the case, it'd be a really short train ride into NYC, which also works.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:23 PM, txhorns79 said:

I have no idea why the actor chose to play the thing like it was Fatal Attraction, and he was telling Kapoor that he wasn't going to be ignored.  I mean, Iggy came off looking nuts, leaving a barrage of messages, each one getting more desperate and crazy.  I get it, you miss your work friend/daddy, but jeez, stop embarrassing yourself. 

Especially given the fact that Iggy apparently knew he was leaving messages on an old-school answering machine, not VM, and that Ella is living there, so she was listening to all this...

If he was that concerned, couldn't he at some point have left a message for ELLA to call him? As, y'know, she eventually did from her own self?